Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 362 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13319Likes

post #10831 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
Are you guys connecting to an Avr when this is happening? Unplug the hdmi at both ends and try connecting directly to Blu-ray your player.
After it happens and I switch inputs on the projector, the AVR is out of the equation. When switching to HDMI 2 (with nothing plugged in), I should just get a blank blue screen. I'll get the same colored bars. Once it happens, there is no getting rid of it without shutting down the projector. I can make it turn into one solid color by switching picture modes, but I'm not going to get video back. I don't know if the thought is that the AVR "triggers" something in the PJ to cause video to stop working and display random color bars that won't go away even when the source is removed.... if it somehow managed to do that, I'd still say it's the projector's problem. I've owned plenty of projectors and other display devices - I've never seen something like this happen.

Last night it ended up happening 3 times. I did manage to go about an hour after the last incident without it happening again.

Someone else mentioned a possible heat issue and that thought crossed my mind as well. This projector has seemed to be a bit more of a space heater than my last one (RS500). Last night, I was only using low lamp, though, and it had only been on for about 30 minutes before this started happening, so it would be odd. Hopefully, someone from JVC support can identify what could cause these bars to appear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10832 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
After it happens and I switch inputs on the projector, the AVR is out of the equation. When switching to HDMI 2 (with nothing plugged in), I should just get a blank blue screen. I'll get the same colored bars. Once it happens, there is no getting rid of it without shutting down the projector. I can make it turn into one solid color by switching picture modes, but I'm not going to get video back. I don't know if the thought is that the AVR "triggers" something in the PJ to cause video to stop working and display random color bars that won't go away even when the source is removed.... if it somehow managed to do that, I'd still say it's the projector's problem. I've owned plenty of projectors and other display devices - I've never seen something like this happen.

Last night it ended up happening 3 times. I did manage to go about an hour after the last incident without it happening again.

Someone else mentioned a possible heat issue and that thought crossed my mind as well. This projector has seemed to be a bit more of a space heater than my last one (RS500). Last night, I was only using low lamp, though, and it had only been on for about 30 minutes before this started happening, so it would be odd. Hopefully, someone from JVC support can identify what could cause these bars to appear.
Just for testing purposes try going directly to the source, bypass the avr completely. I dont use an hdmi pre pro and have not experienced a single hiccup with my nx5
If this does not happen When bypassing the avr then it’s an hdmi issue, regardless if this didn’t happen with the other PJs ...
Possibly a shorter or higher quality certified HDMI cable is needed.
post #10833 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4495 Post(s)
Liked: 1683
Quote:
For sure this is a projector problem. Quite a few people had a very same issue on their e-shift units, although the bars were green instead of multi-coloured. On those units, turning on low latency would make the projector snap out of it, but apparently this does work with the 4K models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10834 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
Yes i have a Marantz 8805 pre. This is one of most common pre in HT actual world, not an "esoteric" thing. I need the pre, i need his switching between sources and i need the pre OSD for setting audio. Connecting directly is something i can try but, as i've said, is not an issue that happens all the time, i can put +10hrs on the vpr with no issues at all. And when the issue happen is also on the hdmi2 input who has no connections at all.
My thought is that if it is something firmware related Jvc should tell users so that we don't have to loose our minds in endless tests. If it's broken, repair or replacement. But since this kind of issues are becoming more and more frequent in N series owners, Jvc should make a statement about this.
I go directly into my oppo 205 and haven’t experienced a single hiccup in over 2 months, I hear what your saying about needing your avr but it hard for manufacturers to test compatibility with all products, that’s why hdmi has been a nightmare.
post #10835 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Morgan View Post
Thanks for the info. Since the NX7 projector itself does pretty good tone mapping, I'm thinking of simply using that for the time being -- with my Xbox One X for UHD playback -- instead of buying a very expensive Panasonic UHD player for a physical media format that's slowly in decline.

That way I can save money that could be better spent on a madVR Envy standalone box when it comes out later this year. If rumors are correct, its real-time "dynamic tone mapping" will be better than the JVC or Panasonic tone mapping, and better even than the Lumagen Radiance's DTM. Additionally, the madVR Envy will be able to dynamically tone map from any source, not just the UHD player. No HTPC required! (Of course, it's all just vaporware until we can actually buy them...)

And around how much do you think the MadVR Envy will cost? If a Panasonic player is very expensive and the madVR Envy is better than the lumagen and the lumagen retails around $6-8k
post #10836 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
I go directly into my oppo 205 and haven’t experienced a single hiccup in over 2 months, I hear what your saying about needing your avr but it hard for manufacturers to test compatibility with all products, that’s why hdmi has been a nightmare.
If there's some sort of compatibility issue with avr/pre it seems to me that is with all or at least most of the avr/pre actually used. Others users have different avr/pre and similar issues.
post #10837 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I go directly into my oppo 205 and haven’t experienced a single hiccup in over 2 months,
And after putting 120 hours on it, I would've said I had not experienced a single hiccup, either. Hour 122 changed that.
post #10838 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If there's some sort of compatibility issue with avr/pre it seems to me that is with all or at least most of the avr/pre actually used. Others users have different avr/pre and similar issues.
Yeah, there is no chance it's an AVR issue.
post #10839 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4495 Post(s)
Liked: 1683
Quote:
If the projector remains “locked up” even when no input is physically connected, it’s not a compatibility issue.
post #10840 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
And after putting 120 hours on it, I would've said I had not experienced a single hiccup, either. Hour 122 changed that.
My RS600 used to do this. I had the HDFURY, and in the process of shifting through all of the available modes, I could get it to come back and resync.

Hook Fury up to computer (or use IR codes) and just keep clicking through modes and it'd resync.

To another point someone posted, it was always green on the RS600, not multicolored but if you have access to a Fury, give it a try.
post #10841 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11822 Post(s)
Liked: 9355
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Yes i have a Marantz 8805 pre. This is one of most common pre in HT actual world, not an "esoteric" thing. I need the pre, i need his switching between sources and i need the pre OSD for setting audio. Connecting directly is something i can try but, as i've said, is not an issue that happens all the time, i can put +10hrs on the vpr with no issues at all. And when the issue happen is also on the hdmi2 input who has no connections at all.
My thought is that if it is something firmware related Jvc should tell users so that we don't have to loose our minds in endless tests. If it's broken, repair or replacement. But since this kind of issues are becoming more and more frequent in N series owners, Jvc should make a statement about this.
I am asking JVC if I can release the info I have on this.
Chopsus likes this.
post #10842 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by laggs View Post
And around how much do you think the MadVR Envy will cost? If a Panasonic player is very expensive and the madVR Envy is better than the lumagen and the lumagen retails around $6-8k
It will definitely be more expensive than a Panasonic player. Madshi has indicated that it will be catered toward the high-end enthusiast. Given that MadVR has been developed to take advantage of commodity PC hardware my personal theory is that Envy will be built on similar hardware with a cost in the neighborhood of a very high-end gaming PC: $3000-$5000.
post #10843 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 07:37 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6404 Post(s)
Liked: 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
It will definitely be more expensive than a Panasonic player. Madshi has indicated that it will be catered toward the high-end enthusiast. Given that MadVR has been developed to take advantage of commodity PC hardware my personal theory is that Envy will be built on similar hardware with a cost in the neighborhood of a very high-end gaming PC: $3000-$5000.
It is free now for a high end PC right?
post #10844 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I am asking JVC if I can release the info I have on this.
It would be great. In the meantime i have started the replacement procedure since it is a brand new N9 ... but i'm scared that even a new one could be affected.
post #10845 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
It is free now for a high end PC right?
Yep. The breakthrough with Envy is going to be ease of use and the ability to operate on any source rather than just disc rips. I don't see any way it could have a price advantage against a similarly spec'd PC.
post #10846 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
It would be great. In the meantime i have started the replacement procedure since it is a brand new N9 ... but i'm scared that even a new one could be affected.
It is correctable with firmware and a menu reset. I suggest you contact your dealer. Got this corrected for one of my guys last week.
post #10847 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Just a heads up for those waiting for your bulbs. I never received a tracking or shipping notification from JVC, but my bulb will be here tomorrow. It shipped out on the 29th, UPS notifies me through UPS My Choice the day before deliveries is how I found out. So if you haven't gotten a notification, it doesn't necessarily mean it has not been shipped
post #10848 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Just a heads up for those waiting for your bulbs. I never received a tracking or shipping notification from JVC, but my bulb will be here tomorrow. It shipped out on the 29th, UPS notifies me through UPS My Choice the day before deliveries is how I found out. So if you haven't gotten a notification, it doesn't necessarily mean it has not been shipped
I just received my confirmation through (UPS My Choice) this morning that my free bulb will be here tomorrow also. Sent out for the bulb in Feb.
post #10849 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Damn that's a lot. I guess I'll have to wait till it comes down in price lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #10850 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
It is correctable with firmware and a menu reset. I suggest you contact your dealer. Got this corrected for one of my guys last week.
OK, just to clarify: i've had TWO issues. The first one was with an intermittent flickering in the OSD and also intermittent vertical lines, say "scrambled" but transparent lines. I was on 2.01 firmware, i've had a firmware update done by the service with 2.05 firmware (with full reset) and that issue is gone for good. Now i have a new and different issue: BLUE vertical lines like the ones in the attached pictures. Also appearing "out of the blue" and need a reboot to get rid.
Are you saying that even this new issue can be corected by firmware upgrade? Can you please confirm this? Thank you very much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	issue3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	2561470   Click image for larger version

Name:	issue2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	2561472  
post #10851 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 36
My old message got lost in the sea of messages. So, is the green line at the bottom and purple fringing normal ?

Not visible when watching content though. But i don’t want this to pose problems in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3EA882CD-033D-44CC-B894-474AE36740EA_1556814694527.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	2561496   Click image for larger version

Name:	116A9178-82DB-43EE-A08C-6A655C50E7C0_1556814710702.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	2561498   Click image for larger version

Name:	6971EB44-B665-47F7-8AFF-B68F252BD43D_1556814729341.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	2561500  
post #10852 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinav555 View Post
My old message got lost in the sea of messages. So, is the green line at the bottom and purple fringing normal ?

Not visible when watching content though. But i don’t want this to pose problems in the future.
I have some purple just like in the picture you posted, same position. Can't see it in normal viewing so no big deal. I don't think i have the green at the bottom but i have to check.
post #10853 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

My RS1000 does not have either of these. I've studied the lens control screen quite a bit so I'm certain. My convergence was off but I was able to fix it with the whole screen fine controls (just +/- 1 or 2 clicks). The regional convergence problem you are showing can be corrected but various here said not to use those regional tweaks because it could hurt image quality. If you don't notice it then probably leave it alone. The green bar is really odd though. I don't see why you should have that on the test image.

Why are we seeing some image beyond the edge of the screen across the green area? That seems like it shouldn't happen unless there is a wierd reflection going on.

Last edited by dsm1212; 05-02-2019 at 09:47 AM.
post #10854 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm1212 View Post

Why are we seeing some image beyond the edge of the screen across the green area? That seems like it shouldn't happen unless there is a wierd reflection going on.
Because of the 17x9 native panel. That's why it's not a problem watching a 16x9 image. Not sure if that is what he is talking about.
abinav555 likes this.

Last edited by Tom Bley; 05-02-2019 at 11:18 AM.
post #10855 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
OK, just to clarify: i've had TWO issues. The first one was with an intermittent flickering in the OSD and also intermittent vertical lines, say "scrambled" but transparent lines. I was on 2.01 firmware, i've had a firmware update done by the service with 2.05 firmware (with full reset) and that issue is gone for good. Now i have a new and different issue: BLUE vertical lines like the ones in the attached pictures. Also appearing "out of the blue" and need a reboot to get rid.
Are you saying that even this new issue can be corected by firmware upgrade? Can you please confirm this? Thank you very much.
That is what I was told.
post #10856 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There can be some fringing like that if you are just barely hitting the edge of your screen. As you notice it tends to not matter on actual content but if it bothers you try adjusting it so the line is slightly in from the edge. I'd expect the green/purple to go away. It's caused by the fact that you'll almost never get prefect convergence so when you project a white line right on the edge a larger proportion of one color will be hitting the screen.
post #10857 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Hard to say. Your theory could be right.

My take... Sure you could spend $3000-$5000 if you buy a ready-to-go CyberPower or Alienware PC, but if you're handy with assembling PC components you can easily assemble your own high-end HTPC for madVR for less than $2000, including an RTX 2060 (assuming you're starting from scratch). That HTPC will allow you to do dynamic HDR tone mapping, etc. IMHO you don't need a quad-GPU water-cooled $5000 monster gaming PC for madVR, unless you want to do actual VR and stuff too.

But the average home theater user probably doesn't want to build a Windows 10 PC like that, and subsequently deal with Microsoft's regular patches/updates/shenanigans.

In a sense, the Envy box will compete with madVR itself. In other words, if the madVR Envy costs more than about $2000, I suspect a lot of people will just opt to use the free software on high end HTPCs. Similarly, if the price is much more than $3000, you might as well buy a used Lumagen Radiance, which is a proven performer and respected brand.

That's why I think $2000-$3000 is the "sweet spot" for the Envy's pricing IMHO, but time will tell. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bottom line, I'd rather spend ~$2500 (?) on a device that'll let me do real-time Dynamic Tone Mapping from any source (TiVo, Xbox, Apple TV, etc) into my NX7, rather than $1000 for a Panasonic UB9000 that just does tone mapping for UHD discs.

I spent a lot on the NX7 and want to get the best possible picture quality out of it.
llang269 likes this.

Sci-Fi Theater, a modest 13-ft x 18-ft home theater room with riser
PROJECTOR: JVC NX7 | SCREEN: 115" Elunevision Reference 4K 1.0 gain
RECEIVER: Denon X8500H 13.2 | SOURCES: TiVo Bolt, Xbox One X, Apple TV 4K
SUBS: 2 x SVS SB16-Ultra | L/C/R: 3 x JTR 228HT | SURROUNDS: 6 x JTR Single 8HT-lp
ATMOS: 4 x MartinLogan 8" ElectroMotion R | SEATS: Seatcraft Diamante

Last edited by Justin Morgan; 05-02-2019 at 12:32 PM.
post #10858 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:

My take... Sure you could spend $3000-$5000 if you buy a ready-to-go CyberPower or Alienware PC, but if you're handy with assembling PC components you can easily assemble your own high-end HTPC for madVR for less than $2000, including an RTX 2060 (assuming you're starting from scratch). That HTPC will allow you to do dynamic HDR tone mapping, etc. IMHO you don't need a quad-GPU water-cooled $5000 monster gaming PC for madVR, unless you want to do actual VR and stuff too.

But the average home theater user probably doesn't want to build a Windows 10 PC like that, and subsequently deal with Microsoft's regular patches/updates/shenanigans.

In a sense, the Envy box will compete with madVR itself. In other words, if the madVR Envy costs more than about $2000, I suspect a lot of people will just opt to use the free software on high end HTPCs. Similarly, if the price is much more than $3000, you might as well buy a used Lumagen Radiance, which is a proven performer and respected brand.

That's why I think $2000-$3000 is the "sweet spot" for the Envy's pricing IMHO, but time will tell. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bottom line, I'd rather spend ~$2500 (?) on a device that'll let me do real-time Dynamic Tone Mapping from any source (TiVo, Xbox, Apple TV, etc) into my NX7, rather than $1000 for a Panasonic UB9000 that just does tone mapping for UHD discs.

I spent a lot on the NX7 and want to get the best possible picture quality out of it.
It's more than just the cost that comes in to play. There is also the aspect of having any source, including streaming, go through the processor. The other big advantage is that you don't have to rip movies first. I am fairly tech savvy and can easily assemble a Windows PC but I don't want to rip discs using illegal and unsupported software. Heck, many people still rent discs, they want the quality of UHD media but don';t want to buy and rip all of them.
post #10859 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
It's more than just the cost that comes in to play. There is also the aspect of having any source, including streaming, go through the processor. The other big advantage is that you don't have to rip movies first. I am fairly tech savvy and can easily assemble a Windows PC but I don't want to rip discs using illegal and unsupported software. Heck, many people still rent discs, they want the quality of UHD media but don';t want to buy and rip all of them.

You don’t have to rip discs. You can play the video from a disc through madVR directly too.
post #10860 of 14092 Old 05-02-2019, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm hypothesizing the higher price to allow for some margin for manufacturing, distribution, and support overhead as well as good old profit, not because I imagine it to literally be a high end gaming rig. It'll likely be spec'd similarly to a midrange gaming rig and sold at a sufficient premium to make it viable as a commercial product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page