Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 363 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13352Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10861 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 04:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Emilia Clarke on Jimmy Kimmel said episode 5 of Game of Thrones is the big one, and you need to find the biggest screen possible to watch it on. Sorted on that front


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drem, BBLV and tommarra like this.
Dandlj is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10862 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,789
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1803 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by abinav555 View Post
My old message got lost in the sea of messages. So, is the green line at the bottom and purple fringing normal ?


Not visible when watching content though. But i don’t want this to pose problems in the future.
That looks more like chromatic aberration. If this is an RS1000 or 2000 I would say it is normal. For the an RS3000 it might be slightly out of spec for the higher end lens.

It shouldn't get worse. It is just due to the fact that different frequencies of light have slightly different focal point and bend differently through the lens. The more lens elements and the better the glass the less chromatic aberration you get. However no lens is perfect.
GregCh is offline  
post #10863 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,789
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1803 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
You don’t have to rip discs. You can play the video from a disc through madVR directly too.
How does that work? Doesn't MadVR run over the entire video once to do all of it's frame light level calculations and max light level calculations so that it can tone map to SDR BT2020? Don't you run into HDCP 2.2 issues with copyrighted discs?
GregCh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10864 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
SirMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
How does that work? Doesn't MadVR run over the entire video once to do all of it's frame light level calculations and max light level calculations so that it can tone map to SDR BT2020? Don't you run into HDCP 2.2 issues with copyrighted discs?
madVR doesn't need to run over the whole video. It reads the HDR stats per frame and acts on them accordingly in real-time.

Also, you use software to bypass the copy protection, so the playback wont be HDCP 2.2 protected. It's the same sort of process that happens if you are ripping the discs. The software to use is called RedFox AnyDVD HD. When that is installed, you can open up a UHD disc in a madVR compatible media player like MPC-HC and play the video back without any HDCP.
ailil and AudioFan810 like this.
SirMaster is online now  
post #10865 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 1,789
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1803 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
madVR doesn't need to run over the whole video. It reads the HDR stats per frame and acts on them accordingly in real-time.

Also, you use software to bypass the copy protection, so the playback wont be HDCP 2.2 protected. It's the same sort of process that happens if you are ripping the discs. The software to use is called RedFox AnyDVD HD. When that is installed, you can open up a UHD disc in a madVR compatible media player like MPC-HC and play the video back without any HDCP.
Ok, thanks for the info. I didn't realize it worked real time like that. Isn't there a lot of lag time?
GregCh is offline  
post #10866 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
SirMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
Ok, thanks for the info. I didn't realize it worked real time like that. Isn't there a lot of lag time?
No, all the processing happens in fewer milliseconds than each frame.

So for 24fps content, all the processing madVR does happens in less than 41 milliseconds. It has to otherwise there would be frame drops. This is why madVR requires somewhat beefy gaming GPUs for the high quality processing settings. On my HTPC I am using a RTX 2060 ($350) and with high quality settings all my processing takes 25-30 milliseconds per frame at 4K.
ailil and tommarra like this.
SirMaster is online now  
post #10867 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,036
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6416 Post(s)
Liked: 6406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
I just received my confirmation through (UPS My Choice) this morning that my free bulb will be here tomorrow also. Sent out for the bulb in Feb.
Don't forget to check those bulbs and make sure they work, you pull them out from the closet 3 years from now and they do not work, you will be SOL.....Check it now and they are DOA you can get a new one
ultra 150 pilot likes this.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #10868 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Bley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IL. USA
Posts: 3,401
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Don't forget to check those bulbs and make sure they work, you pull them out from the closet 3 years from now and they do not work, you will be SOL.....Check it now and they are DOA you can get a new one
Always. Now that I have some hours on the one that came with the projector when I receive the new bulb I will install that one and use the other bulb as a backup. They only warranty a new bulb for 90 days right?
Tom Bley is online now  
post #10869 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,036
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6416 Post(s)
Liked: 6406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
Always. Now that I have some hours on the one that came with the projector when I receive the new bulb I will install that one and use the other bulb as a backup. They only warranty a new bulb for 90 days right?
Bulb is a wearable part, lets say its case by case......You can file a claim anytime if you have a good case and good proof. From time to time manufacturers will go above and beyond the warranty. Right now LG from time to time is giving people new screens for burn in even though it is not covered and even though some have had there TV's 2 plus years and a 1 year warranty is included.
Tom Bley likes this.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #10870 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,523
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4657 Post(s)
Liked: 2952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Morgan View Post
Hard to say. Your theory could be right.

My take... Sure you could spend $3000-$5000 if you buy a ready-to-go CyberPower or Alienware PC, but if you're handy with assembling PC components you can easily assemble your own high-end HTPC for madVR for less than $2000, including an RTX 2060 (assuming you're starting from scratch). That HTPC will allow you to do dynamic HDR tone mapping, etc. IMHO you don't need a quad-GPU water-cooled $5000 monster gaming PC for madVR, unless you want to do actual VR and stuff too.

But the average home theater user probably doesn't want to build a Windows 10 PC like that, and subsequently deal with Microsoft's regular patches/updates/shenanigans.
I simply disabled windows 10 updates on my HTPC and that's that. You can build the whole thing for about $700-800 with a $300 used GTX 1080 card.
Justin Morgan likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is online now  
post #10871 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,523
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4657 Post(s)
Liked: 2952
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
How does that work? Doesn't MadVR run over the entire video once to do all of it's frame light level calculations and max light level calculations so that it can tone map to SDR BT2020? Don't you run into HDCP 2.2 issues with copyrighted discs?
The measurement file stuff is pretty much obsolete and no longer needed for many builds now. I run build 45 no measurement files.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is online now  
post #10872 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Member
 
Th601's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Bulb is a wearable part, lets say its case by case......You can file a claim anytime if you have a good case and good proof. From time to time manufacturers will go above and beyond the warranty. Right now LG from time to time is giving people new screens for burn in even though it is not covered and even though some have had there TV's 2 plus years and a 1 year warranty is included.


I can attest to that. I had panels replaced on two LG TVs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Th601 is offline  
post #10873 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
tommarra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandlj View Post
Emilia Clarke on Jimmy Kimmel said episode 5 of Game of Thrones is the big one, and you need to find the biggest screen possible to watch it on. Sorted on that front


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Watching Long Night again - it’s a fascinating watch. On my NX7 I don’t get what the fuss is about it being too dark. It’s perfect level of details


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chopsus likes this.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
tommarra is offline  
post #10874 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 2,704
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Aren't there a bunch of other threads on madVR and the possible pricing of the new Envy product?
smitty is online now  
post #10875 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
mattztt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Provo, UT
Posts: 633
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
Always. Now that I have some hours on the one that came with the projector when I receive the new bulb I will install that one and use the other bulb as a backup. They only warranty a new bulb for 90 days right?
That's what I just did. I swapped in the new bulb, put the original bulb in the box, and wrote the hours (336!) on the outside so I know where I'm starting from when I swap again.
Tom Bley likes this.
mattztt is offline  
post #10876 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 10:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Drem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
That's what I just did. I swapped in the new bulb, put the original bulb in the box, and wrote the hours (336!) on the outside so I know where I'm starting from when I swap again.
I beat you, 410 hours on my N7 lamp I will put in the new one tonight.

Skickat från min VKY-L29 via Tapatalk
Drem is online now  
post #10877 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
 
davidahn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: San Diego, California, USA
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
After it happens and I switch inputs on the projector, the AVR is out of the equation. When switching to HDMI 2 (with nothing plugged in), I should just get a blank blue screen. I'll get the same colored bars. Once it happens, there is no getting rid of it without shutting down the projector. I can make it turn into one solid color by switching picture modes, but I'm not going to get video back. I don't know if the thought is that the AVR "triggers" something in the PJ to cause video to stop working and display random color bars that won't go away even when the source is removed.... if it somehow managed to do that, I'd still say it's the projector's problem. I've owned plenty of projectors and other display devices - I've never seen something like this happen.

Last night it ended up happening 3 times. I did manage to go about an hour after the last incident without it happening again.

Someone else mentioned a possible heat issue and that thought crossed my mind as well. This projector has seemed to be a bit more of a space heater than my last one (RS500). Last night, I was only using low lamp, though, and it had only been on for about 30 minutes before this started happening, so it would be odd. Hopefully, someone from JVC support can identify what could cause these bars to appear.
The fact that the PJ menus work perfectly while the signals are replaced by the color bars tells me it's not a hardware issue, more of a firmware or HDMI/HDCP issue. I agree it sounds like something in the PJ since other displays work fine with your setup and every video input to the AVP has the same issue. But it's still worth exploring whether a direct HDMI connection without the intervening AV switching hardware might be a temporary workaround while you and others wait for a firmware fix or a replacement unit.

JVC DLA-NX9 / 156" 2.4:1 CIH Seymour AT screen / Marantz AV7704 11.2 / Yamaha MX-A5000 11-ch amp
HTPC MadVR RTX 2080 / 24TB PMS Server (direct UHD rips)
Adam A8X monitor LCR / RBH A-610 x 8 / Kef Ci160ER x 4 / HSU ULS-15
Secondary: Samsung UN82MU8000 / Marantz NR1607 AVR / Kef Q150 + Minx Min 10 / SVS SB-2000
davidahn is offline  
post #10878 of 14169 Old 05-02-2019, 11:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thanks to everyone who commented about the convergence issue. I was getting a little worried if I had to send it for replacement. As for the yellowing, does it stay as long as there's a white image ? Because for me, it only stays yellow for around 5-8 seconds, then goes back to being perfect again.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Watching Long Night again - it’s a fascinating watch. On my NX7 I don’t get what the fuss is about it being too dark. It’s perfect level of details


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you tell me your settings ?
abinav555 is offline  
post #10879 of 14169 Old 05-03-2019, 12:04 AM
Member
 
cmatthes1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
Are you guys connecting to an Avr when this is happening? Unplug the hdmi at both ends and try connecting directly to Blu-ray your player.
My issue is the same color lines (blue, green, or white). But I had the same issue direct connecting the Xbox one x to the projector with a different cable. The HDMI lockup issue sounds like what I would call it. My issue generally happens when the FBI warnings pop up which generally results in the receiver to switch audio modes and perhaps there is some loss of video signal as it switches. Same deal where OSD is fine. It’s basically like the projector thinks it’s getting a vertical line signal even on HDMI 2 where nothing has ever been connected as a video source. I’m talking with JVC. My issue is that they will probably try to exchange my projector but I don’t think that’s going to fix the problem. Unless the HDMI is bad. Seems like there should be some sort of firmware fix.
cmatthes1 is offline  
post #10880 of 14169 Old 05-03-2019, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
locutus2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
After it happens and I switch inputs on the projector, the AVR is out of the equation. When switching to HDMI 2 (with nothing plugged in), I should just get a blank blue screen. I'll get the same colored bars. Once it happens, there is no getting rid of it without shutting down the projector. I can make it turn into one solid color by switching picture modes, but I'm not going to get video back. I don't know if the thought is that the AVR "triggers" something in the PJ to cause video to stop working and display random color bars that won't go away even when the source is removed.... if it somehow managed to do that, I'd still say it's the projector's problem. I've owned plenty of projectors and other display devices - I've never seen something like this happen.

Last night it ended up happening 3 times. I did manage to go about an hour after the last incident without it happening again.

Someone else mentioned a possible heat issue and that thought crossed my mind as well. This projector has seemed to be a bit more of a space heater than my last one (RS500). Last night, I was only using low lamp, though, and it had only been on for about 30 minutes before this started happening, so it would be odd. Hopefully, someone from JVC support can identify what could cause these bars to appear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
The fact that the PJ menus work perfectly while the signals are replaced by the color bars tells me it's not a hardware issue, more of a firmware or HDMI/HDCP issue. I agree it sounds like something in the PJ since other displays work fine with your setup and every video input to the AVP has the same issue. But it's still worth exploring whether a direct HDMI connection without the intervening AV switching hardware might be a temporary workaround while you and others wait for a firmware fix or a replacement unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatthes1 View Post
My issue is the same color lines (blue, green, or white). But I had the same issue direct connecting the Xbox one x to the projector with a different cable. The HDMI lockup issue sounds like what I would call it. My issue generally happens when the FBI warnings pop up which generally results in the receiver to switch audio modes and perhaps there is some loss of video signal as it switches. Same deal where OSD is fine. It’s basically like the projector thinks it’s getting a vertical line signal even on HDMI 2 where nothing has ever been connected as a video source. I’m talking with JVC. My issue is that they will probably try to exchange my projector but I don’t think that’s going to fix the problem. Unless the HDMI is bad. Seems like there should be some sort of firmware fix.
According to Mike Garret (see a few posts above) Jvc has a firmware fix for this issue that i'm experiencing, too. The fact is that this firmware at this moment is being kept secret and i don't really get the point of this. Better to have so many projectors replaced for new ones that may (or may not) experience the very same issue or give users who paid real money the firmware to fix it? I really hope Jvc or someone else will shine a light on this very very annoying issue.
locutus2k is offline  
post #10881 of 14169 Old 05-03-2019, 03:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Drem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
According to Mike Garret (see a few posts above) Jvc has a firmware fix for this issue that i'm experiencing, too. The fact is that this firmware at this moment is being kept secret and i don't really get the point of this. Better to have so many projectors replaced for new ones that may (or may not) experience the very same issue or give users who paid real money the firmware to fix it? I really hope Jvc or someone else will shine a light on this very very annoying issue.
I think they are just tweaking it as good as they can to fix most of our issues. I was told it is very near, couple of weeks.
Drem is online now  
post #10882 of 14169 Old 05-03-2019, 05:16 AM
Member
 
cmatthes1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
According to Mike Garret (see a few posts above) Jvc has a firmware fix for this issue that i'm experiencing, too. The fact is that this firmware at this moment is being kept secret and i don't really get the point of this. Better to have so many projectors replaced for new ones that may (or may not) experience the very same issue or give users who paid real money the firmware to fix it? I really hope Jvc or someone else will shine a light on this very very annoying issue.
I think they are just tweaking it as good as they can to fix most of our issues. I was told it is very near, couple of weeks.
The JVC person I’ve been talking to Errol claims that they are working on the yellowing issue but don’t know this issue exists. They were claiming if it wasn’t on the OSD it was a source issue. I went ahead and got a video of it including turning off the receiver and Xbox one x. Also switching to hdmi 2 which also has no input. It turned white then. I really don’t want to deal with a new projector if they can’t tell me what’s wrong with this one. Other than it is broken. Because as we said it could be all of the projectors to some extent. I’m only having issue with the fbi warnings which is only an issue with discs that put them at the start. https://youtu.be/MW0K94g7KZw
cmatthes1 is offline  
post #10883 of 14169 Old 05-03-2019, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
locutus2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatthes1 View Post
The JVC person I’ve been talking to Errol claims that they are working on the yellowing issue but don’t know this issue exists. They were claiming if it wasn’t on the OSD it was a source issue. I went ahead and got a video of it including turning off the receiver and Xbox one x. Also switching to hdmi 2 which also has no input. It turned white then. I really don’t want to deal with a new projector if they can’t tell me what’s wrong with this one. Other than it is broken. Because as we said it could be all of the projectors to some extent. I’m only having issue with the fbi warnings which is only an issue with discs that put them at the start. https://youtu.be/MW0K94g7KZw
What firmware revision is your projector? Before the vertical lines (blue in my case) showed i've had another issue and the service installed a 2.05 firmware that fixed that issue. Days after i've had the intermittent vertical lines (i must stay hours without then suddenly they show with no logic criteria) but this time i've had no notice of a new firmware from service so ive asked for a replacement. But, as you say, i would not like to deal with a new projector, it would be better if they fix once and for all this issue because i think it is a firmware issue, otherwise they would have too many "broken" projectors to deal with.
locutus2k is offline  
post #10884 of 14169 Old 05-03-2019, 05:44 AM
Member
 
Kruse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Esbjerg, Denmark
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Upgrade from RS25 to RS2000

We still have the much appreciated JVC RS25/HD950 in our home theatre. Back in 2010 and the coming years I was blown away by the picture quality from this projector and especially when arriving back from the movie theatre inside town, were they still run 35 mm. these days.

Now in the later years things has changed a lot, certainly after we just got a brand new movie theatre with the newest equipment in 4K laser projection from Barco, I can tell it is like a whole new era for public theaters, it’s like being a part of the movie yourself.

So for the last years I had realized the RS25 is kind of outdated and like others have had a long wait for JVC to release affordable 4K projectors, but now they finally seems to be here.

My question is, how much of a upgrade will it feels like, changing to the RS2000/NX7 over the RS25/HD950 will this be a giant upgrade over the old JVC and did it hopefully feels like going some part of the way, compared to public theaters using the newest in laser projection.

Last edited by Kruse; 05-03-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Kruse is offline  
post #10885 of 14169 Old 05-03-2019, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,523
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4657 Post(s)
Liked: 2952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruse View Post
We still have the much appreciated JVC RS25/HD950 in our home theatre. Back in 2010 and the coming years I was blown away by the picture quality from this projector and especially when arriving back from the movie theatre inside town, were they still run 35 mm. these days.

Now in the later years things has changed a lot, certainly after we just got a brand new movie theatre with the newest equipment in 4K laser projection from Barco, I can tell it is like a whole new era for public theaters, it’s like being a part of the movie yourself.

So for the last years I had realized the RS25 is kind of outdated and like others have had a long wait for JVC to release affordable 4K projectors, but now the finally seems to be here.

My question is, how much of a upgrade will it feel like, changing to the RS2000/NX7 over the RS25/HD950 will this be a giant upgrade over the old JVC and did it hopefully feels like going some part of the way, compared to public theaters using the newest in laser projection.
What? RS25 wow. You'd have found the RS500 / x750 to have been a tremendous upgrade to your RS25. The RS2000 should be more impressive to you than your local theater experience I'd think.
Kruse, coxy2416, Dandlj and 1 others like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is online now  
post #10886 of 14169 Old 05-03-2019, 05:56 AM
Member
 
cmatthes1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post

what firmware revision is your projector? Before the vertical lines (blue in my case) showed i've had another issue and the service installed a 2.05 firmware that fixed that issue. Days after i've had the intermittent vertical lines (i must stay hours without then suddenly they show with no logic criteria) but this time i've had no notice of a new firmware from service so ive asked for a replacement. But, as you say, i would not like to deal with a new projector, it would be better if they fix once and for all this issue because i think it is a firmware issue, otherwise they would have too many "broken" projectors to deal with.
2.04
cmatthes1 is offline  
post #10887 of 14169 Old 05-03-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 2,704
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
What? RS25 wow. You'd have found the RS500 / x750 to have been a tremendous upgrade to your RS25. The RS2000 should be more impressive to you than your local theater experience I'd think.
What he said.
Kruse likes this.
smitty is online now  
post #10888 of 14169 Old 05-03-2019, 09:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Anyone assessed how well the gamma is holding up after a few hundred hours on these? Wondering if/when i should run a gamma autocal with the spyder.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cogdok is online now  
post #10889 of 14169 Old 05-03-2019, 09:53 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 5,838
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 2147
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogdok View Post
Anyone assessed how well the gamma is holding up after a few hundred hours on these? Wondering if/when i should run a gamma autocal with the spyder.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have it, run it NOW!!!! Makes a nice improvement to the picture, even verse the fresh NX5 and NX7 SirMaster and I tested it on.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater

Last edited by SOWK; 05-03-2019 at 09:56 AM.
SOWK is online now  
post #10890 of 14169 Old 05-03-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dkersten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 1,066
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Update after a few weeks of using my rs2000 for over 50 hours.

My bulb showed up yesterday, I sent the form in about 10 days ago... Completely unexpected. It's gonna suck to test it now because everything is dialed in perfectly and I'll have to move it to swap the bulb...

To date, no real issues with the rs2000. No yellowing (I have a big screen, so my iris is wide open on Auto2) even on scenes with all black and just a little bright white text. Not saying it can't happen, just that I haven't seen it and I won't purposefully go looking for flaws that I haven't noticed.

I might have seen a case where a few pixels clipped, but I didn't do any investigation when I saw it, and as far as I know it could have just been the way the movie was. I don't even remember which movie, might have been Captain America First Avenger in 4k.. But being ripped, it is totally possible it was an artifact from the file too, so I let it go. Again, no need to go looking for flaws if I'm not already seeing them.

During initial install, I made a 1 pixel adjustment to blue and red for convergence after about an hour of warming it up, but at ~24 hours I had to make some adjustments to how everything was mounted, and once I was done I went through the convergence again and both red and blue were off by exactly 1 pixel, so I zeroed both out again and it is dead on for 90% of the screen. I get a little misconvergence on the bottom left and right corners (one blue, one red) but we are talking a fraction of a pixel where the halo of the color is starting to peak through the white line on one edge. Very minimal and no need for zone convergence by any means. Bottom line, after ~20 hours the convergence ended up being near perfect with no adjustment. Kind of cool.

Bright corners still stand out on blackout scenes, but either I am getting used to it or it is calming down a bit. Still perhaps the worst thing about this projector, and given the overall quality of the image, it is an insignificant price to pay.

Here is my philosophy on what I should expect: Based on reviews, the closest thing to a "perfect" home projector is a mid-six-figure projector. Since I have no desire or ability to spend that much, I have to expect there are imperfections in anything I buy that is cheaper. Bright corners is a small price to pay for having exceptional quality in just about every other aspect of this projector, and all for a sub $10k price tag. Granted, even with the sales and pre-order discounts I was a bit over the $10k mark with the added Paladin lens, but I still feel like I found the sweet spot - the point at which there is no need to spend any more money on a projector setup. Everything I watch amazes me now, and I can't even come up with the words for how good 4k looks.

I've mentioned this before, but I had an e-shift Epson before this, and 4k content was already amazingly crisp and sharp, and with some adjustment to gamma curves and other settings, the color and brightness on HDR was spectacular and very pleasing, even on my rather large screen. I didn't upgrade for more resolution from the native 4k panels, nor did I upgrade for better contrast or even a better lens. I upgraded because my settings didn't fit all HDR content and I hated that I had to constantly tweak to get some movies to look better, and even then I just couldn't get everything to look good. I wanted adjustable tone mapping for all HDR sources and for it to be pretty much "set it and forget it". I also needed to get away from 10gbps HDMI, but just about any upgrade was going to give me 18gbps. I did expect small gains in just about every aspect of the projector, but I wasn't expecting anything revolutionary. The more I watch, the more impressed I am at the improvements across the board. EVERYTHING looks better with this projector, including 1080p content that is upscaled by the exact same sources I was using with the Epson. So I went from what I thought was "good enough" to being wow'd at every turn.

The most unexpected improvement is in the resolution. I simply didn't expect to see much of an improvement here, but I was wrong. I sit ~11 feet back from a 150" wide 2.39:1 screen, and there is absolutely no question in my mind that the extra 4 million pixels make a significant and totally noticeable improvement. My eyes are not the greatest, and I am projecting on a microperf screen, but nobody could convince me that I am not seeing a major improvement in resolution. I can't point out individual pixels on my screen from my seat, but I can certainly see more detail in both static images as well as regular video. I am not talking about the HDR improvements or the color improvements, although those are all there as well. Straight up, I can see more fine detail than I could with e-shift with all other things being equal.

Based on my personal observations on my particular setup, I would recommend this projector without hesitation. No caveats, no reservations, it is simply better than I would have expected and well worth the price.

IMHO, even if the issues some are noticing were more prominent to every viewer, I don't think there is a better option at this price point, and for some people I don't think they would be satisfied with anything less than the mid-six-figure option, so while their opinions are perfectly valid, if I were evaluating my options those would mostly be on the outside of the bell curve. Just my 2 cents.
smitty, davidahn, Tom Bley and 6 others like this.
dkersten is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off