Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 383 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13277Likes

post #11461 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Low latency needs to be switched ON, not off, in order to disable all CMD processing. Motion enhanced should also be switched off.

Not sure if this is enough to prevent the issue from happening, but this is what you want if you want to prevent any unwanted processing.
Correct, I should have been more specific. I have HDR (and Natural) mode with everything turned off, but a user "game" preset with low latency turned on. I have had the blue bar issue, while using each mode so I can seem to find a pattern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11462 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6395 Post(s)
Liked: 6393
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
I just got my plate for my nx5, not cheap but I’ve been using the same mount for 3 different pjs and many years
If you get tired of buying plates, get a 1/2" or 3/4" piece of plywood, paint it black, drill a few holes and make your own plate..... You could probably reuse it again, and again, and again down the road....
ultra 150 pilot likes this.
post #11463 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008 View Post
Correct, I should have been more specific. I have HDR (and Natural) mode with everything turned off, but a user "game" preset with low latency turned on. I have had the blue bar issue, while using each mode so I can seem to find a pattern.
When switching color space from 422 to 444 on the NX9 I see this. Does not happen on my RS500🤔
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	667FF529-89CC-490F-AFA5-91BE680AEB4E.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	2567098  

Home Theater: Stewart -100” 4 Way Sreenwall Electric Masking, JVC-DLA-NX9 Tivo Vox, Oppo-UDP-205, Roku 4K Ultra, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic UB9000 , Marantz AV8802A-7.1 SSP, Ayre K5 MP Stereo Pre Amp, Clearaudio Concept Turntable, Schitt Audio Phono Pre Amp, Rotel RB-1070, Rotel RMB-1095, Rotel RB-933, Ayre-V5xe,Vandersteen-3A Signature-Front LR, Vandersteen-VCC-5-Center, Vandersteen-VSM-Surrounds and Atmos, Dual SVS PB16 Ultras Subwoofers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11464 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
If you get tired of buying plates, get a 1/2" or 3/4" piece of plywood, paint it black, drill a few holes and make your own plate..... You could probably reuse it again, and again, and again down the road....

That's actually not a bad idea. I might try that before I go ahead and order a Chief mount. There wouldn't be any kind of movement, but I also don't really need that. Which could end up being a good thing. Could even go with MDF I guess.

FAMILY ROOM - Totem Tribe II LCR, JL Audio E-112, Anthem MRX 720, Apple TV, WD HDTV, Panasonic 55" Plasma
BASEMENT THEATRE - Paradigm Studio 100 v5, 690 v5, 10x4 v5, Anthem AVM 60, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7125, 2x JTR Captivator S2s, X-Box One, Apple TV, HTPC, Ben-Q W1070, 106" screen

Last edited by 04rex; 05-15-2019 at 08:23 AM.
post #11465 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 5412
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD MAN View Post
When switching color space from 422 to 444 on the NX9 I see this. Does not happen on my RS500🤔
The new JVCs don't support RGB or YCC 444 in 12bits (this is in fact stated in the manual, even if there is no reason for this limitation, at least from a bandwidth point of view). They force an internal conversion to YCC 422 whenever 12bits is used, even when the frame rate is 30p or below (so when the 18Gb/s bandwidth limit isn't reached), yet they display RGB or YCC 444 in the info panel. JVC knows about this, so hopefully a fix is on the way, provided this isn't a non-bandwidth related hardware limitation.

So if you select the colorspace manually when sending 12bits from the source and are not using AUTO in the JVC, you get the wrong colorspace unless you manually select YCC 422.

If you select AUTO, the colorspace is still forced to YCC 422 internally when the JVC receives 12bits 444, but YCC 422 is AUTOmatically selected so the picture doesn't look obviously wrong (though chroma might suffer from the double conversion).

Bottom line is, until/unless this is fixed/improved, you should only use RGB 8bits or (YCC 422 if you really want 12bits), otherwise you can get the wrong colorspace (if not using AUTO) or chroma upsampling issues (the JVC does a chroma conversion behind the source's back when forcing YCC 422 internally).

With madVR, I recommend RGB 8bits Full. This means that madVR upscales from 420 to 444. There is no banding if the other settings (especially bit depth and dithering) are correct.

With a UHD Player or other consumer sources, I recommend YCC 422 10 or 12bits. This means that the source upscales from 420 to 422, and the PJ upscales from 422 to 444, which is fine. There is no colorspace and/or chroma conversion happening behind the source's back.

These are the only two modes that do not suffer from the forced YCC 422 conversion in 12bits and the potentially related issues.

Again, it is recommend to switch low latency ON (CMD forced to disable) and motion enhance OFF in all modes, whether video or gaming. You can use these processing "features" if you don't get artifacts and if you like the results, but if you get issues reverting to Low Latency ON and Motion Enhance OFF should always be the first step.

JVC Autocal Software V11 Calibration for 2019 Models (Google)
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders

Last edited by Manni01; 05-15-2019 at 08:21 AM.
post #11466 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21568

Many also use the Ruipro Fiber HDMI cable that is available on amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenofin View Post
Just to inform people my N5 might also be one of the vertical stripes bug victim. Fw is 2.05 OOB.

However, a little different story how bug was shown. After 27 hrs in the middle of GoT, latest episode, while streaming from HBO app in Samsung S4 tablet green pixels started to show in picture and finally larger areas of greenish blocks corrupted the picture. I opened main menu and it started to show stripes, bluish and pink stripes in menu window and menu itself was also vibrating rapidly. No stripes in picture itself, only those green pixels.
Next I only changed iris from auto2 to manual which didn't help. Power cycle did help and rewatching problematic point in the episode did not show any corruption.

I have Ruipro 10m cable between N5 and Denon AVR-X4500H. Picture mode was in user mode, color profile SDR709 with custom gamma 2.3, brightness -3, iris auto 2, -9, low lamp. Info window showed 2160p,30fps and RGB 8bit. Upscaling in AVR was disabled.

This was first sign of any failure or bug. I think it was not the case of overheating or problem with the cable or in signal path. I had projector on for couple of hours before it happened. Day before it was on for much longer period of time.

Otherwise I am quite satisfied with this projector although it does not have the best convergence. Projector has also so many options that it takes a lot of work to get picture quality right for multiple sources I have. And I have not yet touched 3D.
I've had what you describe on my rs1000 once which I described some pages back. I had to power cycle to clear it. It has not happened again.

Only other thing I've seen is that my roku is quirky connecting to the projector. On startup sometimes I have a black screen and I need to switch inputs away and back to get it to connect. I've also found it showing white noise after it sat idle for some time. Only happens with the 4k roku player and switching away and back reconnects it.
post #11467 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
That sounds very similar to what I've experience. i've been talking with JVC and they're sending me a replacement since it's still happening with the newer 2.05 software. I'm still not convinced that it's not just a software bug (and not related the hardware of specific units).

I noticed that you use a Denon receiver (as do I) and I'm curious if those that have experienced this issue are using a Denon or Marantz as well. If anything, at least we can rule that out.
I just replied that I've seen this too and yes, I have a new denon x6500h.

steve
jbn008 likes this.
post #11468 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Unfortunately, I've had low latency and cmd turned off since I first powered up the projector and I've still been victim to the issue. I agree, I think it's a software issue so hopefully they'll get it worked out sooner than later. Btw, are you using a receiver for the HDMI switching? If so, what brand?
I have a Marantz 8805 pre/pocessor.

Quote:
Low latency needs to be switched ON, not off, in order to disable all CMD processing. Motion enhanced should also be switched off.

Not sure if this is enough to prevent the issue from happening, but this is what you want if you want to prevent any unwanted processing.
Sure, low latency ON disable cmd but i suspect that even low latency, if engaged, can be the or one of the causes for the vertical bars issue when watching movie content.
post #11469 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
That sounds very similar to what I've experience. i've been talking with JVC and they're sending me a replacement since it's still happening with the newer 2.05 software. I'm still not convinced that it's not just a software bug (and not related the hardware of specific units).

I noticed that you use a Denon receiver (as do I) and I'm curious if those that have experienced this issue are using a Denon or Marantz as well. If anything, at least we can rule that out.

A lot of us have Denon receivers with the problem. However I also bypassed my receiver and hooked my Xbox one x up directly to the project on 2.04 and could create the problem.
jbn008 likes this.
post #11470 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
On 2.04 vertical line issue I was having a problem I could reproduce. This is what I found as far as settings with the CMD settings on that issue. I'm not sure this is a definitive guide to the vertical line issue. But it was something I could test. You will also find if you change some of these settings after the blue/green/white bar issue occurs that the color of the bars will change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatthes1 View Post
Looks like there is something with Motion Enhance Low and CMD Off. Also something different with low Latency on and both off.

Low Latency On
CMD Off
Motion Enhance Off
Result: Green bars instead of blue

Low Latency Off
CMD Off
Motion Enhance Low
Result: Blue Bars

Low Latency Off
CMD Off
Motion Enhance off
Result: No Issue

Low Latency Off
CMD Low
Motion Enhance Off
Result: No issue
DVD MAN likes this.
post #11471 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
The new JVCs don't support RGB or YCC 444 in 12bits (this is in fact stated in the manual, even if there is no reason for this limitation, at least from a bandwidth point of view). They force an internal conversion to YCC 422 whenever 12bits is used, even when the frame rate is 30p or below (so when the 18Gb/s bandwidth limit isn't reached), yet they display RGB or YCC 444 in the info panel. JVC knows about this, so hopefully a fix is on the way, provided this isn't a non-bandwidth related hardware limitation.

So if you select the colorspace manually when sending 12bits from the source and are not using AUTO in the JVC, you get the wrong colorspace unless you manually select YCC 422.

If you select AUTO, the colorspace is still forced to YCC 422 internally when the JVC receives 12bits 444, but YCC 422 is AUTOmatically selected so the picture doesn't look obviously wrong (though chroma might suffer from the double conversion).

Bottom line is, until/unless this is fixed/improved, you should only use RGB 8bits or (YCC 422 if you really want 12bits), otherwise you can get the wrong colorspace (if not using AUTO) or chroma upsampling issues (the JVC does a chroma conversion behind the source's back when forcing YCC 422 internally).

With madVR, I recommend RGB 8bits Full. This means that madVR upscales from 420 to 444. There is no banding if the other settings (especially bit depth and dithering) are correct.

With a UHD Player or other consumer sources, I recommend YCC 422 10 or 12bits. This means that the source upscales from 420 to 422, and the PJ upscales from 422 to 444, which is fine. There is no colorspace and/or chroma conversion happening behind the source's back.

These are the only two modes that do not suffer from the forced YCC 422 conversion in 12bits and the potentially related issues.

Again, it is recommend to switch low latency ON (CMD forced to disable) and motion enhance OFF in all modes, whether video or gaming. You can use these processing "features" if you don't get artifacts and if you like the results, but if you get issues reverting to Low Latency ON and Motion Enhance OFF should always be the first step.
Thank You Manni!!

Excellent information. I purchased the NX9 last week when I notice this. Also after a few hrs of viewing these green vertical lines pop up across the picture. I informed JVC of this and they recommended a new firmware V2.05 I completed the firmware update and again the lines pop up. JVC was very accommodating offering me a replacement, but I decided to return it until these issues remedied.

Home Theater: Stewart -100” 4 Way Sreenwall Electric Masking, JVC-DLA-NX9 Tivo Vox, Oppo-UDP-205, Roku 4K Ultra, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic UB9000 , Marantz AV8802A-7.1 SSP, Ayre K5 MP Stereo Pre Amp, Clearaudio Concept Turntable, Schitt Audio Phono Pre Amp, Rotel RB-1070, Rotel RMB-1095, Rotel RB-933, Ayre-V5xe,Vandersteen-3A Signature-Front LR, Vandersteen-VCC-5-Center, Vandersteen-VSM-Surrounds and Atmos, Dual SVS PB16 Ultras Subwoofers.
post #11472 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post
Perfect thank you. Do you know if it is centred for the projector? I have a mount right now that I don’t really trust because it is very hard to centre it to the projector so that it mounts straight. Right now it tilts down because the centre of gravity is off. Plus it just doesn’t seem strong enough.

Thanks for your help.

I’m using the RPA281 and it’s solid. Ceiling extensions center on the projector once installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basement bat cave: JVC RS2000, 100" 16:9 Stewart StudioTek 130, Denon AVR-X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Polk RTi A7 towers/CSi A6 center/65RT in-wall side surrounds (2)/70RT in-ceiling Atmos (4), dual PSA V1811 subwoofers
post #11473 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatthes1 View Post
On 2.04 vertical line issue I was having a problem I could reproduce. This is what I found as far as settings with the CMD settings on that issue. I'm not sure this is a definitive guide to the vertical line issue. But it was something I could test. You will also find if you change some of these settings after the blue/green/white bar issue occurs that the color of the bars will change.
that's very interesting. i hope they get this figured out with a future firmware, but like you i also have a replacement coming just in case.
post #11474 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Quoted: 5504 Post(s)
Liked: 5320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpiddy View Post
Has anyone done a side by side comparison of any of the following settings? Or better yet, any actual testing @Javs .

Pana 820 -> SDRBT2020, with SDR settings on NX7

Pana 820 -> HDRBT2020, with HDR(PQ) auto tone mapping on NX7

Pano 820 -> HDRBT2020, with gamma 2.2 and Pana_PQ_BL color profile NX7

They all look absolutely fantastic to me. Switching settings takes long enough that I can’t seem to pick up on any major differences. Love to hear any thoughts. Cheers!
Tally me up for option 2 as well. I tested it pretty hard and found it to be the best of the three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
I've been thinking of a bunch of different options. My current center is a custom JTR 210, so I'd either have to get Jeff to make me another one, or get something else... at this point with the money thats gonna be flying everywhere, the 4K CDN to build another center would suck... as would buying something new.
I'm willing to take a bit of a hit in brightness going with the AT but worry it will be too much of a hit and no stores locally have the JVC's up for Demos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Have you tried Elunevision - their 1.0 gain for AT material is totally incorrect and they don’t give out samples. Their gain is closer to 0.8 - so make sure you are still able to do good HDR.

When I was buying my own AT screen - I was considering them but since they don’t give out samples to compare with V6 or Seymour I decided to not go for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed with the above Nate. Of the close to 30 samples I have of different materials, the elunevision was absolutely the furthest from accurate (yes I actually got a sample somehow). Stewart was too steep a price for me too so I rolled with the severtson 1.3 microperf. I have been extremely happy with it and it was darn near close to the stewart st130. I wouldn't hesitate to suggest it. The stewart Cima Neve Perforado was also excellent. None of the weaves get quite to unity gain..you have to go MP to get there or above FWIW.

Also, I have the NX7 now at 1.6x throw to a 135" diag. scope screen and the image is fantastic. Go with a 1.3 gain material and you'll have plenty of light for HDR even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatallerror View Post
Then I guess your screen is not AT, how far do you sit from the 135"? about 10ft/3m? If you are sitting closer than that and you have the center channel under the screen then the screen must be like 60cm/2ft from the floor so you need to look way up to the top of the screen, seems to me a weird angle. I can't find a pic of your setup but should be something like this without AT screen.
Maybe in reality it's not bad but the closer you sit the AT screen is more likely needed to keep the middle of the screen as close to your eye level as possible to avoid this looking up situation.

Any owner here with AT screen who's sitting relatively close?
Considering the above information and that I am sitting ~12ft. and I am extremely happy with the results. With a good Microperf material you can't see the holes at all. With these woven variants, they perform even better. Even with your nose against the screen with the v6 you can see any holes.
fatallerror likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #11475 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
I would suggest you try XYscreens. IMO it’s much better because of higher gain
What is the cost of this fabric ?
post #11476 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Tally me up for option 2 as well. I tested it pretty hard and found it to be the best of the three.

Agreed with the above Nate. Of the close to 30 samples I have of different materials, the elunevision was absolutely the furthest from accurate (yes I actually got a sample somehow). Stewart was too steep a price for me too so I rolled with the severtson 1.3 microperf. I have been extremely happy with it and it was darn near close to the stewart st130. I wouldn't hesitate to suggest it. The stewart Cima Neve Perforado was also excellent. None of the weaves get quite to unity gain..you have to go MP to get there or above FWIW.

Also, I have the NX7 now at 1.6x throw to a 135" diag. scope screen and the image is fantastic. Go with a 1.3 gain material and you'll have plenty of light for HDR even.

Considering the above information and that I am sitting ~12ft. and I am extremely happy with the results. With a good Microperf material you can't see the holes at all. With these woven variants, they perform even better. Even with your nose against the screen with the v6 you can see any holes.
Does one of those samples happen to include the XYScreen material claimed to have a 1.8 gain?
post #11477 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Quoted: 5504 Post(s)
Liked: 5320
Quote:
Originally Posted by raheaps View Post
Does one of those samples happen to include the XYScreen material claimed to have a 1.8 gain?
No but you have my attention with a 1.8 gain if there is no shimmer. Anything I tested above 1.3 started to have the sparkles and I can't handle that. I will see what I can get crom XYXcreens.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #11478 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Spoiler!
Also, if you're going to go with woven I would suggest at least taking a look at a DIY spandex option touted by MississippiMan. As stated above you won't get unity with a woven, and the spandex will get you around .8 as well at a much lower price point.
post #11479 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
No but you have my attention with a 1.8 gain if there is no shimmer. Anything I tested above 1.3 started to have the sparkles and I can't handle that. I will see what I can get crom XYXcreens.
Did you ever test out Severtson 2.2 or 1.8 ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
post #11480 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
they are doing much better as of late.
For now . . .
post #11481 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Hi beastaudio...how close are your speakers mounted behind the Severtson 1.3 microperf? About 12" or can you mounted them within a couple of inches of the screen?

Thanks,
Ralph
post #11482 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 07:47 PM

[QUOTE=tommarra;58047504]Have you tried Elunevision - their 1.0 gain for AT material is totally incorrect and they don’t give out samples. Their gain is closer to 0.8 - so make sure you are still able to do good HDR.

When I was buying my own AT screen - I was considering them but since they don’t give out samples to compare with V6 or Seymour I decided to not go for them

Hi tommarra...what were the major factors for why you chose the Soundmax screen over the V6 or one of Seymours? Screen gain? dollars?

Thanks.
Ralph
post #11483 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFan810 View Post

Hi tommarra...what were the major factors for why you chose the Soundmax screen over the V6 or one of Seymours? Screen gain? dollars?

Thanks.

Ralph

Primarily the higher gain and the super low price. My 130 inch 16:9 screen was less than $800 shipped. I figured even
if I didn't like the screen I could just upgrade without too much pain at a later date.

But when I got the screen the image quality is amazing (coming from Elitescreens Cinegrey 5D - the worst material ever made IMO)

There is a thread on AVS wherein the OP compares XY Soundmax to other AT screens. The designer of V6 also pitched in and ran compares of the Soundmax material to V6 and even he found that Soundmax has ~20 percent higher gain than V6 which puts it near unity gain. (~0.95 gain)

To get 100 nits for a screen size above 120 inch 16:9 screen you just cant do it with V6. Only woven AT screen that can do this is XY Soundmax - I think!

Now in terms of audio Soundmax attenuates the high frequency the most (4-5 dB above 12KHZ vs 1-2 dB for V6) but that can be very easily fixed by simple EQ.

I think in terms of value you can't beat this screen.

nanoodhaliwal and AudioFan810 like this.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #11484 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFan810 View Post
Hi beastaudio...how close are your speakers mounted behind the Severtson 1.3 microperf? About 12" or can you mounted them within a couple of inches of the screen?

Thanks,
Ralph
I also have a Severtson Cinema White microperf in 2.35:1 135" for use with an NX7.

My first row is 9 feet away. I can see the holes and a little sparkles (only in the center) when the image is mostly white but when it's any other color they're invisible. Depending on your vision, I would think you would not see the holes at all 12'+ from the screen.

Also, my speakers are 6" from the back wall and 5" from the screen and they sound great.

All in all I'm happy with this screen.
beastaudio and AudioFan810 like this.
post #11485 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 08:56 PM

[QUOTE=tommarra;58054456]Primarily the higher gain and the super low price. My 130 inch 16:9 screen was less than $800 shipped. I figured even if I didn't like the screen I could just upgrade without too much pain at a later date.

But when I got the screen the image quality is amazing (coming from Elitescreens Cinegrey 5D - the worst material ever made IMO)

There is a thread on AVS wherein the OP compares XY Soundmax to other AT screens. The designer of V6 also pitched in and ran compares of the Soundmax material to V6 and even he found that Soundmax has ~20 percent higher gain than V6 which puts it near unity gain. (~0.95 gain)

To get 100 nits for a screen size above 120 inch 16:9 screen you just cant do it with V6. Only woven AT screen that can do this is XY Soundmax - I think!

Now in terms of audio Soundmax attenuates the high frequency the most (4-5 dB above 12KHZ vs 1-2 dB for V6) but that can be very easily fixed by simple EQ.

Thanks a bunch!
post #11486 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch15 View Post
I also have a Severtson Cinema White microperf in 2.35:1 135" for use with an NX7.

My first row is 9 feet away. I can see the holes and a little sparkles (only in the center) when the image is mostly white but when it's any other color they're invisible. Depending on your vision, I would think you would not see the holes at all 12'+ from the screen.

Also, my speakers are 6" from the back wall and 5" from the screen and they sound great.

All in all I'm happy with this screen.
Hi Pooch15...thanks very much!
post #11487 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
Which email address are you using for contacting JVC USA? I sent them a few questions about my DI issue, and asked them to confirm the information I got from JVC Europe about the issue being fixed in the next firmware. No reply so far, been two days.
I filled out the "contact us" form on the JVC professional products website and got a response from Chris Deutsch of JVC.
post #11488 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkami View Post
I filled out the "contact us" form on the JVC professional products website and got a response from Chris Deutsch of JVC.
Thanks for the info. Maybe they just ignore queries from european users. Nevermind, probably "Out of scope" close ticket

Last edited by Drem; 05-15-2019 at 10:00 PM.
post #11489 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:

I really liked the Severtson 1.3 sample I have too and will almost definitely be going with it for my next build. 160" Diagonal 16:9.

Have you got any recent images of your screen in place?

Is the velvet on the frame good? Any pics on putting it together, the backside of the frame etc?

And how far back are your speakers from the fabric?

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #11490 of 14005 Old 05-15-2019, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Primarily the higher gain and the super low price. My 130 inch 16:9 screen was less than $800 shipped. I figured even
if I didn't like the screen I could just upgrade without too much pain at a later date.

I have just placed an order for a 120" 16:9 masking screen from V6. In a batcave room, how many nits do you think one can possibly get when paired with the NX7 ? Temporarily, I'm using a solid Stewart Grayhawk and since there is no ambient light reflecting back, i'm guessing this may cause the image sometimes to look dark and I also wish the colours popped more, maybe the grayhawk is not 4K compatible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page