Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 403 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15183Likes

post #12061 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Stand corrected.
I prefer to sit, thanks.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12062 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Recommended settings

My long-awaited RS2000 is finally on its way, but even though I have been following this thread, I do not recall an overall guide to recommended settings. Did I miss it, or is there not one yet?

It would be very helpful if someone could post that, or even add it to the first post as a starting point for new owners.

Thanks.
Mike Garrett likes this.
post #12063 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
Ok, thanks Manni.

Unfortunately I don't have a calibrator within 300 miles of my location and it isn't easy to travel here other than by automobile. I only have the Spyder5Elite meter so I don't want to do color calibration with it as many think it isn't accurate enough to use for color calibration. So I am using THX mode because to my eye it looks to be the most accurate of the available modes on the RS3000 for SDR. I guess I can run a gamma only calibration on another mode and apply to all. But it would be nice if I could calibrate the THX gamma directly, seems like it would be more accurate but maybe not. Thanks for your reply. If I have any other questions I will be sure to post to your calibration page.

Why don’t you just try autocal with your spyder?

I’ve run full autocal with 2 different spyder5pro now on 4 different JVC projectors and the results look excellent, color and all.

If you don’t like the result, then reload the old config.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12064 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 320 Post(s)
Quoted: 5402 Post(s)
Liked: 5572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_L View Post
My long-awaited RS2000 is finally on its way, but even though I have been following this thread, I do not recall an overall guide to recommended settings. Did I miss it, or is there not one yet?

It would be very helpful if someone could post that, or even add it to the first post as a starting point for new owners.

Thanks.
If you google the first line of my sig, you’ll get to the calibration thread. I have there a detailed recommended settings section, as well as a mini-review of my rs2000.
Jive Turkey and asharma like this.

JVC Autocal Software V11 Calibration for 2019 Models (Google)
Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders

Last edited by Manni01; 05-30-2019 at 12:40 AM.
post #12065 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked: 1779
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post

I’ve run full autocal with 2 different spyder5pro now on 4 different JVC projectors and the results look excellent, color and all.

If you don't like the result, you can skip the last step ("Save") and the projector will revert to its previous calibration when you make a change (or on next reboot).

You can also just run it in Log Only mode, and see what colour temperature it shows. If Gamma 2.2 shows as a straight line then there’s no gamma droop to be corrected.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 05-29-2019 at 06:05 PM.
post #12066 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1882 Post(s)
Liked: 1171
Quote:

I guess I could try it and see. I just always assumed that the THX settings out of the box would be as close as calibration with a low res meter and that I wouldn't know which was more accurate just by using my eye. Therefore it probably wouldn't be worth the time.

But if you believe that the Spyder5 is actually improving over the out-of-box settings then it might be worth a try.
post #12067 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I guess I could try it and see. I just always assumed that the THX settings out of the box would be as close as calibration with a low res meter and that I wouldn't know which was more accurate just by using my eye. Therefore it probably wouldn't be worth the time.

But if you believe that the Spyder5 is actually improving over the out-of-box settings then it might be worth a try.
To my eyes it absolutely improves the look of all the projectors I have run it on, especially for high bulb.

Does it improve the calibration numbers? I'm not sure, but for me what's important is how it actually looks to me.

I will say this. Before autocal, my high bulb looked a little anemic compared to low bulb. Low bulb out of the box looked great. I ran autocal for both high and low bulb. It made very subtle changes to low bulb, it still looks great. But to my high bulb, it made pretty noticeable changes, but now when I toggle between low and high bulb instead of the color and the image looking anemic in high bulb, high now simply looks like low, except brighter. It definitely looks better and more natural and correct to me now.

These are the results I saw from 2 out of 2 different Spyder5Pro calibrating NX5, NX7, RS620, and RS600.

If you are not familiar with autocal, I found it really simple to use and really quick to do. The whole thing doesn't really take more than 30 minutes to run through even being slow and careful going through each setup step. And it's not hard to discard the changes or revert back if you choose.

Last edited by SirMaster; 05-29-2019 at 01:56 PM.
post #12068 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1882 Post(s)
Liked: 1171
Quote:
To my eyes it absolutely improves the look of all the projectors I have run it on, especially for high bulb.

Does it improve the calibration numbers? I'm not sure, but for me what's important is how it actually looks to me.

I will say this. Before autocal, my high bulb looked a little anemic compared to low bulb. Low bulb out of the box looked great. I ran autocal for both high and low bulb. It made very subtle changes to low bulb, it still looks great. But to my high bulb, it made pretty noticeable changes, but now when I toggle between low and high bulb instead of the color and the image looking anemic in high bulb, high now simply looks like low, except brighter. It definitely looks better and more natural and correct to me now.

These are the results I saw from 2 out of 2 different Spyder5Pro calibrating NX5, NX7, RS620, and RS600.

If you are not familiar with autocal, I found it really simple to use and really quick to do. The whole thing doesn't really take more than 30 minutes to run through even being slow and careful going through each setup step. And it's not hard to discard the changes or revert back if you choose.
OK thanks. I appreciate the info. This is the first JVC I have owned and I have not tried autocal and I have been a bit reluctant to mess with it. But your comments make it sound like it might be worthwhile. I will have to see if I see much difference between colors on high bulb and low bulb. I don't remember their being much difference. I mainly only use High bulb for HDR material and with auto tone mapping applied, so the comparison there is probably Apples to Oranges. I guess I need to see if there is a difference between low and high bulb on the same SDR setting.
post #12069 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
If you google the first line if my sig, you’ll get to the calibration thread. I have there a detailed recommended settings section, as well as a min-review of my rs2000.
Thanks, Manni. I piggybacked on your expert suggestions on setting up my last projector (a JVC 750R), and I am glad I am on the same upgrade path as you so that I can get the benefit of your expertise again!
Manni01 likes this.
post #12070 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK thanks. I appreciate the info. This is the first JVC I have owned and I have not tried autocal and I have been a bit reluctant to mess with it. But your comments make it sound like it might be worthwhile. I will have to see if I see much difference between colors on high bulb and low bulb. I don't remember their being much difference. I mainly only use High bulb for HDR material and with auto tone mapping applied, so the comparison there is probably Apples to Oranges. I guess I need to see if there is a difference between low and high bulb on the same SDR setting.
Yes, you can easily toggle bulb modes in any mode to compare.

Also a trick to compare color calibration before/after on the NX. Run your calibration first with your iris wide open (position 0) and then after the calibration, move your iris down to -4. When you are toggling your iris between -3 and -4, you will actually see exactly what the calibration did to your image since the color calibration only applies to the iris in quarters of the iris range at a time. So -3 iris will be your calibrated result, and -4 iris will be your uncalibrated result.

Yes there is a tiny, tiny difference in brightness between -4 and -3, but just ignore that and focus on what it did to the color. Decide if you like the color more at -3 iris or at -4 iris and then you will know if you prefer the calibrated result or not. If you like the color at -3, then proceed to calibrate the other modes you will use (high/low lamp, BT.2020 filter on/off, and all 4 iris quarter ranges). If you like the color more at -4, then reload your INIT file that autocal spit out when it completed and you will be back to defaults.

To calibrate the rest of the iris ranges if you use them you need to then run the color calibration again with the iris at 0, -4, -8, and -12 to cover the whole range like if you use auto iris.

There are other great threads to help out with autocal if you have more questions.
smitty, wwtech, Waikis and 1 others like this.
post #12071 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked: 1779
Quote:
To calibrate the rest of the iris ranges if you use them you need to then run the color calibration again with the iris at 0, -4, -8, and -12 to cover the whole range like if you use auto iris.
Only if you use different ranges of manual iris. Auto-iris does not require that.
Clark Burk likes this.
post #12072 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Only if you use different ranges of manual iris. Auto-iris does not require that.
Oh, learn something new thanks! Thanks for all your work on the autocal thread
Dominic Chan likes this.
post #12073 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just noticed a 2.07 up on the jvc site for U.S.

May get to try it later tonight...

https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/...00_dla-rs1000/
Manni01 likes this.
post #12074 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6569 Post(s)
Liked: 6568
Quote:
If JVC introduces a new laser projector, my bet is that it would be an update of the RS4500 and priced similarly. Probably something like RS4600, with DI, new higher contrast panels, laser source and auto tone mapping. I doubt that JVC will make any changes to the NX line of projectors until they get caught up with production for existing sales and get firmware fixes finalized.
With the RS4500 and the RS3000 out now, the next Laser is going to have to be real, real good for it to be a step up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_L View Post
My long-awaited RS2000 is finally on its way
Yep another batch is making it thru the United States......The trend seams to be the last week of the month JVC releases more of the hard to get units.........

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 05-29-2019 at 08:52 PM.
post #12075 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Had friends over to watch
Mad max fury road
And
Original Blade runner, directors cut
Both in 4k
All were impressed and notice the difference from my Sony es600
Version. 2.04
OUt of box, no calibration
Craig Peer, Manni01 and Dandlj like this.
post #12076 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarabian View Post
I just installed it on my RS1000, the update went fine and everything seems to work the same but I didn’t really have any issues other than the DI yellowing and highlight blooming which it doesn’t fix as Mike already mentioned. So I guess I’ll keep the DI disabled and wait for the next firmware update...
post #12077 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkino View Post
I just installed it on my RS1000, the update went fine and everything seems to work the same but I didn’t really have any issues other than the DI yellowing and highlight blooming which it doesn’t fix as Mike already mentioned. So I guess I’ll keep the DI disabled and wait for the next firmware update...

My new projector coming tomorrow tracking delivery closer. I like to hear that the issues are considered relatively small. Good luck with everything

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Craig Peer likes this.

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000 (atmos), (2) GoldenEar SuperSat 50’s, (2) GoldenEar Triton 7 (rears), Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), JVC NX5, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Panasonic BP - UB 820, Marantz 8805, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 9 (gen 3) Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite, 4K Apple TV
post #12078 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Do you guys make a factory reset after updating, in the standard menu / service menu?
post #12079 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Quoted: 12267 Post(s)
Liked: 9869
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
Do you guys make a factory reset after updating, in the standard menu / service menu?
You just follow the instructions. You do not go into the service menu.
https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/...proc_en_v1.pdf
Manni01, Nexgen76 and Maddog56 like this.
post #12080 of 16259 Old 05-29-2019, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
There is very little information for this firmware version (2.07) on the website other than "improved operation stability".

Has anyone experienced ANY subsequent glitches that were not experienced prior to updating to this firmware version? My NX7's operation has been flawless with v2.01 and I fully believe in "if it's not broken, don't fix it" unless there are significant benefits to the new firmware. Thanks for any information!
Tom Bley and Willie like this.

Last edited by docrog; 05-30-2019 at 12:01 AM.
post #12081 of 16259 Old 05-30-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
There is very little information for this firmware version (2.07) on the website other than "improved operation stability".

Has anyone experienced ANY subsequent glitches that were not experienced prior to updating to this firmware version? My NX7's operation has been flawless with v2.01 and I fully believe in "if it's not broken, don't fix it" unless there are significant benefits to the new firmware. Thanks for any information!
I have an issue with the DI that I hope is solved. After about 45- 1hour the DI suddenly begins to clamp down way too much in darker scenes. I compare the clamping level with going to - 10 on the manual aperture (I have it set to 0). JVC technicians said to my dealer this would be solved in the next firmware, so let's see. I just installed it.

Skickat från min VKY-L29 via Tapatalk
Tom Bley likes this.
post #12082 of 16259 Old 05-30-2019, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
A bird told me tomorrow ... let's see if he's right
Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As i've told you ... the bird was right!

Now, let's hope this new firmware will fix once for all the issues someone is experiencing.
post #12083 of 16259 Old 05-30-2019, 01:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
As i've told you ... the bird was right!

Now, let's hope this new firmware will fix once for all the issues someone is experiencing.

Updating now as we speak.

locutus2k likes this.
post #12084 of 16259 Old 05-30-2019, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have an issue with the DI that I hope is solved. After about 45- 1hour the DI suddenly begins to clamp down way too much in darker scenes. I compare the clamping level with going to - 10 on the manual aperture (I have it set to 0). JVC technicians said to my dealer this would be solved in the next firmware, so let's see. I just installed it.

Skickat från min VKY-L29 via Tapatalk

Keep us posted! I didn't experienced this issue but i'm interested in understanding what is software and what is hardware related.
Drem likes this.
post #12085 of 16259 Old 05-30-2019, 01:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread

What truly annoys me is that nobody knows whether this “new” firmware can indeed fix those “known bugs” (other than the yellowing DI issue) because there is simply no one version of the firmware can replicate the “problems” some of the members here experienced. In short, there is no consistency in terms of the bugs that appears to make any kind of meaningful or objective assessment. But still, I applaud JVC continuous efforts to push out firmware updates to fix some of the known bugs.

post #12086 of 16259 Old 05-30-2019, 01:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Let’s report back here on any improvements after running one movie length.

post #12087 of 16259 Old 05-30-2019, 03:47 AM

Unfortunately I still have the DI closing down issue with 2.07. I will be contacting my dealer.

I find it odd that no one else has seen this issue. It feels like a software bug, like buffer memory/algoritm or something, but since no one else has it, Im not sure anymore.

This is what happens when the issue appears, usually 1-2 hours in. Sometime it has apperaed in a shorter period of time, and sometimes longer, but usually around the 1-hour mark. With a dark test scene, I bring the projector menu back and forth. DI almost completely closes. This is with manual aperture at 0. With the same test scene, in normal DI operation and manual aperture at 0, it closes just ever so little (as it should be with aperture at 0)

Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uow7qx1k3...24539.mp4?dl=0

Last edited by Drem; 05-30-2019 at 05:06 AM.
post #12088 of 16259 Old 05-30-2019, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

I'm happy to report that 2.07 completely fix the "colour bug". Now you can choose 422 or 444 (or RGB) according to the input with no conversion/side effects. AUTO works fine, too.
another thing i've noticed is that now when you shut down the projector the red light on front goes away after a while. To power the projector back you have to press any button on the remote (red light comes up) and then power on.
post #12089 of 16259 Old 05-30-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 5006 Post(s)
Liked: 3257
Quote:
If JVC introduces a new laser projector, my bet is that it would be an update of the RS4500 and priced similarly. Probably something like RS4600, with DI, new higher contrast panels, laser source and auto tone mapping. I doubt that JVC will make any changes to the NX line of projectors until they get caught up with production for existing sales and get firmware fixes finalized.

So I could see the same NX models this year at CEDIA but with a lot of the kinks worked out.
My guess is RS4500 is:
- no *dynamic iris* (it has fantastically working laser dimming and doesn't need a DI).
- Will keep the lamp iris it has for manual settings.
- maybe 4000-5000 lumens
- New better contrast panel
- Probably 8K eshift
- Tone mapping of some sort perhaps an improved version of what is offered in NX series.

My guess is you will see $60-70k MSRP. Not really something someone that considered an RS4500 would consider.
OzHDHT likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #12090 of 16259 Old 05-30-2019, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Unfortunately I still have the DI closing down issue with 2.07. I will be contacting my dealer.

I find it odd that no one else has seen this issue. It feels like a software bug, like buffer memory/algoritm or something, but since no one else has it, Im not sure anymore.

This is what happens when the issue appears, usually 1-2 hours in. Sometime it has apperaed in a shorter period of time, and sometimes longer, but usually around the 1-hour mark. With a dark test scene, I bring the projector menu back and forth. DI almost completely closes. This is with manual aperture at 0. With the same test scene, in normal DI operation and manual aperture at 0, it closes just ever so little (as it should be with aperture at 0)

Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uow7qx1k3...24539.mp4?dl=0
This is strange. Just to be clear: this happen when you set AUTO 1 or 2 or it happens also with auto disabled and iris set manual to 0? If the strong change happens in auto i think this is software related, otherwise there must be something that needs an hard reset.
Have you tried a factory reset from SERVICE menu? Not from the projector stanrdard menu but from the service menu. After the install of 2.07 i would consider an hard reset from service menu, you will loose your settings but if the behaviour is still there i would ask for a change.
jbarteli likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page