Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 403 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16483Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12061 of 17838 Old 05-29-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,543
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6661
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
If JVC introduces a new laser projector, my bet is that it would be an update of the RS4500 and priced similarly. Probably something like RS4600, with DI, new higher contrast panels, laser source and auto tone mapping. I doubt that JVC will make any changes to the NX line of projectors until they get caught up with production for existing sales and get firmware fixes finalized.
With the RS4500 and the RS3000 out now, the next Laser is going to have to be real, real good for it to be a step up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_L View Post
My long-awaited RS2000 is finally on its way
Yep another batch is making it thru the United States......The trend seams to be the last week of the month JVC releases more of the hard to get units.........

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 05-29-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12062 of 17838 Old 05-29-2019, 08:49 PM
Senior Member
 
slots1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Had friends over to watch
Mad max fury road
And
Original Blade runner, directors cut
Both in 4k
All were impressed and notice the difference from my Sony es600
Version. 2.04
OUt of box, no calibration
Craig Peer, Manni01 and Dandlj like this.
slots1 is offline  
post #12063 of 17838 Old 05-29-2019, 09:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarabian View Post
I just installed it on my RS1000, the update went fine and everything seems to work the same but I didn’t really have any issues other than the DI yellowing and highlight blooming which it doesn’t fix as Mike already mentioned. So I guess I’ll keep the DI disabled and wait for the next firmware update...
azkino is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12064 of 17838 Old 05-29-2019, 09:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Ediddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 410
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkino View Post
I just installed it on my RS1000, the update went fine and everything seems to work the same but I didn’t really have any issues other than the DI yellowing and highlight blooming which it doesn’t fix as Mike already mentioned. So I guess I’ll keep the DI disabled and wait for the next firmware update...


My new projector coming tomorrow tracking delivery closer. I like to hear that the issues are considered relatively small. Good luck with everything


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Craig Peer likes this.

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000 (atmos), (2) GoldenEar SuperSat 50’s, (2) GoldenEar Triton 7 (rears), Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), JVC NX5, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Panasonic BP - UB 820, Marantz 8805, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 9 (gen 3) Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite, 4K Apple TV
Ediddy is offline  
post #12065 of 17838 Old 05-29-2019, 10:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Drem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarabian View Post
Do you guys make a factory reset after updating, in the standard menu / service menu?
Drem is online now  
post #12066 of 17838 Old 05-29-2019, 10:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,485
Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12522 Post(s)
Liked: 10133
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
Do you guys make a factory reset after updating, in the standard menu / service menu?
You just follow the instructions. You do not go into the service menu.
https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/...proc_en_v1.pdf
Manni01, Nexgen76 and Maddog56 like this.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #12067 of 17838 Old 05-29-2019, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarabian View Post
There is very little information for this firmware version (2.07) on the website other than "improved operation stability".

Has anyone experienced ANY subsequent glitches that were not experienced prior to updating to this firmware version? My NX7's operation has been flawless with v2.01 and I fully believe in "if it's not broken, don't fix it" unless there are significant benefits to the new firmware. Thanks for any information!
Tom Bley and Willie like this.

Last edited by docrog; 05-30-2019 at 12:01 AM.
docrog is offline  
post #12068 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 12:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Drem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
There is very little information for this firmware version (2.07) on the website other than "improved operation stability".



Has anyone experienced ANY subsequent glitches that were not experienced prior to updating to this firmware version? My NX7's operation has been flawless with v2.01 and I fully believe in "if it's not broken, don't fix it" unless there are significant benefits to the new firmware. Thanks for any information!
I have an issue with the DI that I hope is solved. After about 45- 1hour the DI suddenly begins to clamp down way too much in darker scenes. I compare the clamping level with going to - 10 on the manual aperture (I have it set to 0). JVC technicians said to my dealer this would be solved in the next firmware, so let's see. I just installed it.

Skickat från min VKY-L29 via Tapatalk
Tom Bley likes this.
Drem is online now  
post #12069 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 01:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
locutus2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
A bird told me tomorrow ... let's see if he's right
Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
LOL.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As i've told you ... the bird was right!

https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/...00_dla-rs1000/

Now, let's hope this new firmware will fix once for all the issues someone is experiencing.
locutus2k is offline  
post #12070 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 01:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desray2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,136
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
As i've told you ... the bird was right!



https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/...00_dla-rs1000/



Now, let's hope this new firmware will fix once for all the issues someone is experiencing.


Updating now as we speak.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
locutus2k likes this.
desray2k is online now  
post #12071 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
locutus2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
I have an issue with the DI that I hope is solved. After about 45- 1hour the DI suddenly begins to clamp down way too much in darker scenes. I compare the clamping level with going to - 10 on the manual aperture (I have it set to 0). JVC technicians said to my dealer this would be solved in the next firmware, so let's see. I just installed it.

Skickat från min VKY-L29 via Tapatalk

Keep us posted! I didn't experienced this issue but i'm interested in understanding what is software and what is hardware related.
Drem likes this.
locutus2k is offline  
post #12072 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 01:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desray2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,136
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread

What truly annoys me is that nobody knows whether this “new” firmware can indeed fix those “known bugs” (other than the yellowing DI issue) because there is simply no one version of the firmware can replicate the “problems” some of the members here experienced. In short, there is no consistency in terms of the bugs that appears to make any kind of meaningful or objective assessment. But still, I applaud JVC continuous efforts to push out firmware updates to fix some of the known bugs.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
desray2k is online now  
post #12073 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 01:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desray2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,136
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Let’s report back here on any improvements after running one movie length.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
desray2k is online now  
post #12074 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 03:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Drem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Unfortunately I still have the DI closing down issue with 2.07. I will be contacting my dealer.

I find it odd that no one else has seen this issue. It feels like a software bug, like buffer memory/algoritm or something, but since no one else has it, Im not sure anymore.

This is what happens when the issue appears, usually 1-2 hours in. Sometime it has apperaed in a shorter period of time, and sometimes longer, but usually around the 1-hour mark. With a dark test scene, I bring the projector menu back and forth. DI almost completely closes. This is with manual aperture at 0. With the same test scene, in normal DI operation and manual aperture at 0, it closes just ever so little (as it should be with aperture at 0)

Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uow7qx1k3...24539.mp4?dl=0

Last edited by Drem; 05-30-2019 at 05:06 AM.
Drem is online now  
post #12075 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
locutus2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I'm happy to report that 2.07 completely fix the "colour bug". Now you can choose 422 or 444 (or RGB) according to the input with no conversion/side effects. AUTO works fine, too.
another thing i've noticed is that now when you shut down the projector the red light on front goes away after a while. To power the projector back you have to press any button on the remote (red light comes up) and then power on.
locutus2k is offline  
post #12076 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,218
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5225 Post(s)
Liked: 3391
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
If JVC introduces a new laser projector, my bet is that it would be an update of the RS4500 and priced similarly. Probably something like RS4600, with DI, new higher contrast panels, laser source and auto tone mapping. I doubt that JVC will make any changes to the NX line of projectors until they get caught up with production for existing sales and get firmware fixes finalized.

So I could see the same NX models this year at CEDIA but with a lot of the kinks worked out.
My guess is RS4500 is:
- no *dynamic iris* (it has fantastically working laser dimming and doesn't need a DI).
- Will keep the lamp iris it has for manual settings.
- maybe 4000-5000 lumens
- New better contrast panel
- Probably 8K eshift
- Tone mapping of some sort perhaps an improved version of what is offered in NX series.

My guess is you will see $60-70k MSRP. Not really something someone that considered an RS4500 would consider.
OzHDHT likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #12077 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
locutus2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Rome, Italy
Posts: 899
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
Unfortunately I still have the DI closing down issue with 2.07. I will be contacting my dealer.

I find it odd that no one else has seen this issue. It feels like a software bug, like buffer memory/algoritm or something, but since no one else has it, Im not sure anymore.

This is what happens when the issue appears, usually 1-2 hours in. Sometime it has apperaed in a shorter period of time, and sometimes longer, but usually around the 1-hour mark. With a dark test scene, I bring the projector menu back and forth. DI almost completely closes. This is with manual aperture at 0. With the same test scene, in normal DI operation and manual aperture at 0, it closes just ever so little (as it should be with aperture at 0)

Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uow7qx1k3...24539.mp4?dl=0
This is strange. Just to be clear: this happen when you set AUTO 1 or 2 or it happens also with auto disabled and iris set manual to 0? If the strong change happens in auto i think this is software related, otherwise there must be something that needs an hard reset.
Have you tried a factory reset from SERVICE menu? Not from the projector stanrdard menu but from the service menu. After the install of 2.07 i would consider an hard reset from service menu, you will loose your settings but if the behaviour is still there i would ask for a change.
jbarteli likes this.
locutus2k is offline  
post #12078 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,218
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5225 Post(s)
Liked: 3391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
Unfortunately I still have the DI closing down issue with 2.07. I will be contacting my dealer.

I find it odd that no one else has seen this issue. It feels like a software bug, like buffer memory/algoritm or something, but since no one else has it, Im not sure anymore.

This is what happens when the issue appears, usually 1-2 hours in. Sometime it has apperaed in a shorter period of time, and sometimes longer, but usually around the 1-hour mark. With a dark test scene, I bring the projector menu back and forth. DI almost completely closes. This is with manual aperture at 0. With the same test scene, in normal DI operation and manual aperture at 0, it closes just ever so little (as it should be with aperture at 0)

Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uow7qx1k3...24539.mp4?dl=0
I've had a very similar iris pumping problem on one of the previous e-shift projectors and was told the projector needed to be replaced under warranty. It was an intermittent problem and typically only happened after 45-60 min of watching and based on the type of content I was watching. My guess is that there are positional sensors in the iris that stop reading correctly. You should get your projector swapped.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #12079 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 25,038
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked: 3268
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
another thing i've noticed is that now when you shut down the projector the red light on front goes away after a while. To power the projector back you have to press any button on the remote (red light comes up) and then power on.

This seems like it could interfere with those who turn their entire home theater on as part of an automation program.
dgrizzard likes this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
Josh Z is online now  
post #12080 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 05:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Drem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
This is strange. Just to be clear: this happen when you set AUTO 1 or 2 or it happens also with auto disabled and iris set manual to 0? If the strong change happens in auto i think this is software related, otherwise there must be something that needs an hard reset.
Have you tried a factory reset from SERVICE menu? Not from the projector stanrdard menu but from the service menu. After the install of 2.07 i would consider an hard reset from service menu, you will loose your settings but if the behaviour is still there i would ask for a change.
Yes both AUTO1 and 2. No difference. Setting manual disables the DI so yes normal operation here and constant light output. I will try a service menu reset, I did on 2.05 but will try 2.07.
Drem is online now  
post #12081 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 05:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Drem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I've had a very similar iris pumping problem on one of the previous e-shift projectors and was told the projector needed to be replaced under warranty. It was an intermittent problem and typically only happened after 45-60 min of watching and based on the type of content I was watching. My guess is that there are positional sensors in the iris that stop reading correctly. You should get your projector swapped.
Thanks for the input. I am awaiting a reply from the dealer.
Drem is online now  
post #12082 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,103
Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5435 Post(s)
Liked: 5635
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
I'm happy to report that 2.07 completely fix the "colour bug". Now you can choose 422 or 444 (or RGB) according to the input with no conversion/side effects. AUTO works fine, too.
another thing i've noticed is that now when you shut down the projector the red light on front goes away after a while. To power the projector back you have to press any button on the remote (red light comes up) and then power on.
Great news if the colourspace error is fixed, I'll update later and confirm.

Did you check the power saving option after the update? It might have defaulted to the max power saving one, instead of the one with the network standby if you've done a reset to factory defaults. I'll take a look as well after the update.
jh901 likes this.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
Manni01 is offline  
post #12083 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
gravi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 565
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
Unfortunately I still have the DI closing down issue with 2.07. I will be contacting my dealer.

I find it odd that no one else has seen this issue. It feels like a software bug, like buffer memory/algoritm or something, but since no one else has it, Im not sure anymore.

This is what happens when the issue appears, usually 1-2 hours in. Sometime it has apperaed in a shorter period of time, and sometimes longer, but usually around the 1-hour mark. With a dark test scene, I bring the projector menu back and forth. DI almost completely closes. This is with manual aperture at 0. With the same test scene, in normal DI operation and manual aperture at 0, it closes just ever so little (as it should be with aperture at 0)

Video:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uow7qx1k3...24539.mp4?dl=0
Just a quick basic question. When you say the DI closes, how do you determine that? Just by looking at how dark or bright a scene looks? I don't think I have seen such a problem but curious.
gravi is offline  
post #12084 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 06:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Drem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
Just a quick basic question. When you say the DI closes, how do you determine that? Just by looking at how dark or bright a scene looks? I don't think I have seen such a problem but curious.
In the video you see clearly how it closes and opens. The more in closes the lesser the light goes through and onto your screen.
Drem is online now  
post #12085 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JaremyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: MI
Posts: 1,387
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Would like to get more specific tweaking my NX7 for upcoming movie viewing. Don’t have a meter and not ready to get into more advanced calibration, but I’m seeing references here about using gammas of 2.4 and knocking brightness down to -1/-2.

I’m curious if there’s a published list of quick out of the box settings adjustments to make to optimize the picture?

I’m using sdr and hdr sources. Appletv and Kscape, but I may go back to an Oppo 203.

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Video: JVC NX7, Stewart Cima Neve 135"
Audio: Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Speakers: Focal Electra 1038 Be x 2, Electra CC 1008 Be, Aria 906 x 8, REL S5 SHO x 2
Sources: Apple TV 4k, Kaleidescape Strato, Oppo 203, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Live: TrackZ
JaremyP is offline  
post #12086 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,485
Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12522 Post(s)
Liked: 10133
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Great news if the colourspace error is fixed, I'll update later and confirm.

Did you check the power saving option after the update? It might have defaulted to the max power saving one, instead of the one with the network standby if you've done a reset to factory defaults. I'll take a look as well after the update.
Yes, this is supposed to fix the color space issue that you reported.
desray2k, SOWK and Manni01 like this.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #12087 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 08:15 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 5,388
Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked: 645
I can't update till later today... But 12bit 4:4:4 23.976Hz works now?





PLEASE SAY YES!!!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
SOWK is offline  
post #12088 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,485
Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12522 Post(s)
Liked: 10133
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
My guess is RS4500 is:
- no *dynamic iris* (it has fantastically working laser dimming and doesn't need a DI).
- Will keep the lamp iris it has for manual settings.
- maybe 4000-5000 lumens
- New better contrast panel
- Probably 8K eshift
- Tone mapping of some sort perhaps an improved version of what is offered in NX series.

My guess is you will see $60-70k MSRP. Not really something someone that considered an RS4500 would consider.
And my guess is, the only laser projector JVC has at CEDIA is the 4500. Anybody taking bets?
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #12089 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,485
Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12522 Post(s)
Liked: 10133
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
I'm happy to report that 2.07 completely fix the "colour bug". Now you can choose 422 or 444 (or RGB) according to the input with no conversion/side effects. AUTO works fine, too.
another thing i've noticed is that now when you shut down the projector the red light on front goes away after a while. To power the projector back you have to press any button on the remote (red light comes up) and then power on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
This seems like it could interfere with those who turn their entire home theater on as part of an automation program.
Turn ECO mode off.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #12090 of 17838 Old 05-30-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Manni01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 9,103
Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5435 Post(s)
Liked: 5635
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
I can't update till later today... But 12bit 4:4:4 23.976Hz works now?

PLEASE SAY YES!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Yes, this is supposed to fix the color space issue that you reported.
Unfortunately, as far as I can see, they haven't solved the problem, they have only disabled the colorspace setting when receiving 12bits, so that the symptoms are less visible.

YCC422 is still forced in 12bits even at 30p and lower, but in 12bits all the colorspace options in the JVC have the same effect, which is to select YCC422 internally.

So when you send RGB 444 12bits or YCC 444 12bits, you don't see that the wrong colorspace is applied if you don't select auto in the JVC, but there is still an unwanted chroma conversion happening behind the source's back that is detrimental to chroma resolution (in a minor way).

It's not a big issue, but I would still recommend to use 4:4:4 8bits or 4:2:2 12bits, depending on the source. RGB 4:4:4 12bits and YCC 4:4:4 12bits are still not recommended.

I attach a screenshot showing that YCC422 is forced irrespective of the colorspace option selected, and a close up on the "fox" pattern to show the effect (look at the red and blue lines at the bottom, the chroma resolution is much better in 8bits than in 12bits).

This is more likely to be visible on games and desktop apps, and unlikely to be noticeable on video content, except in very unusual situations, and only if the film is very boring .

If your source does good dithering (such as madVR), especially if your source is a PC you're also using for desktop work or gaming, I highly recommend to keep using RGB 8bits until this is fixed (with madVR set to 8bits for native panel bit depth). This doesn't add any banding compared to 12bits. You'll get better results than with RGB 12bits and madVR set to 10bits native bit depth, due to this minor chroma issue, and you'll get better results in gaming/desktop apps too.

If you have a dedicated HTPC exclusively to video content and you feel better using RGB 12bits because it feels more "right", by all mean do so, I doubt it will harm the picture in any significant way.

What's important with HDR is to have 10bits in the content. Having madVR dithering from its internal 16bits to 10bits or 8bits makes very little difference to the final result, and certainly none that would be noticeable from sitting distance regarding banding or additional noise.

With a standalone player, I still recommend using YCC 422 12bits. It will work at all frame rates up to 60p and should give you excellent results. If, for any reason, you need/prefer to use RGB or YCC444 12bits, again I doubt it will produce any significant/visible degradation with video content.

Mike, please forward to JVC and ask them if the new f/w is supposed to actually fix the problem, or if this is as far as they can go due to hardware limitations. V2.07 makes the issue less obvious when a "wrong" colorspace is selected manually, but from a PQ point of view there is zero difference as far as I can see.

I tested with nVidia drivers V385.28. I'll try with 430.86 later if I have the time, but I don't expect the results to be any different. [EDIT: tested with 430.86, same results].
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4K23p RGB 444 8bits.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2573484   Click image for larger version

Name:	4K23p RGB 444 12bits.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2573486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Auto.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	377.1 KB
ID:	2573532   Click image for larger version

Name:	RGB.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	2573534   Click image for larger version

Name:	YCC444.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	2573536  


Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders

Last edited by Manni01; 05-30-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Manni01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off