Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 405 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14222Likes

post #12121 of 15289 Old 05-30-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6749 Post(s)
Liked: 7886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
File? It would be helpful if people would list what their source is and if they are going through an AVR etc. I have not had any issue playing UHD 4k Blu-Rays and standard Blu-Ray discs with an Oppo 203. When you say file, are you streaming a movie?
Patient - " Dr., my arm hurts ".
Doctor - " what are you doing that makes it hurt ? ".
Patient - " this ".
Doctor - " stop doing that ".

Stop playing that file.
Tom Bley, Killroy, Dandlj and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12122 of 15289 Old 05-30-2019, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Turn ECO mode off.

Is it recommended to turn ECO mode off Mike if we use automation such as Harmony Elite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12123 of 15289 Old 05-30-2019, 05:26 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6524 Post(s)
Liked: 6501
Quote:
Originally Posted by slots1 View Post
Had friends over to watch
Mad max fury road
And
Original Blade runner, directors cut
Both in 4k
All were impressed and notice the difference from my Sony es600
Version. 2.04
OUt of box, no calibration
I bet Probably like night and day difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12124 of 15289 Old 05-30-2019, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 12065 Post(s)
Liked: 9590
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandlj View Post
Is it recommended to turn ECO mode off Mike if we use automation such as Harmony Elite?

Yes.
post #12125 of 15289 Old 05-30-2019, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I bet Probably like night and day difference?
Absolutely
Watching Boetsh on prime 4k super picture
post #12126 of 15289 Old 05-30-2019, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Gonna hang it tomorrow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
llang269, riddle and Dandlj like this.

(2) GoldenEar References, GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL, (4) GoldenEar HTR 7000 (atmos), (2) GoldenEar SuperSat 50’s, (2) GoldenEar Triton 7 (rears), Dual Seaton Sumbersive HP (Master / Slave), JVC NX5, Dalite 119 inch UTC, Panasonic BP - UB 820, Marantz 8805, Emotiva XPR 2, Emotiva XPA 9 (gen 3) Panamax 5102, Harmony Elite, 4K Apple TV
post #12127 of 15289 Old 05-30-2019, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
2.07 ... so far so good. Just one thing: i can't find no more the special Panasonic profiles. I never use them even if i have a Pana 9000 i prefer a custom cal but i was wondering if they have been removed or if i messed up something playin' around.
Make sure your gamma isn’t on hdr and is on 2.x. If it’s on hdr it won’t show that color profile.
post #12128 of 15289 Old 05-30-2019, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I've had a very similar iris pumping problem on one of the previous e-shift projectors and was told the projector needed to be replaced under warranty. It was an intermittent problem and typically only happened after 45-60 min of watching and based on the type of content I was watching. My guess is that there are positional sensors in the iris that stop reading correctly. You should get your projector swapped.
Do you know if JVC technical department knows about such an issue with the NX / N series of projectors? The reason I ask is because my dealer was told they knew and would fix the issue with the next firmware. Maybe they didnt understand the problem, or my dealer didnt explain it correctly. But for my future talks with my dealer it would nice to know if JVC and I are talking about the same problem. I thought maybe you or Manni have some insight into this through your JVC contacts?
post #12129 of 15289 Old 05-30-2019, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
Do you know if JVC technical department knows about such an issue with the NX / N series of projectors?
Last night i've paid attention at the iris movements in AUTO mode. I usually don't use auto mode i left manual at 0 so i was wondering if i were "missing" some bugs. Well, i can say that if you look directly at the lens as in the video you posted i can clearly see the iris clamping down to a certain degree in some scenes, but if i look at the screen the closing is not so evident. I mean: the iris is doing his work in auto mode but the difference is subtle, you can see it if you're looking for it but the image does not change that much to become distracting.
My question now is: when you're seeing a movie and you are "relaxed", i mean not looking for bugs or similar, you can clearly see the iris closing down? I mean, it is distracting at the point you pause everything to understand what's happening? If yes we have a bug or a defective unit, otherwise it may be normal operation.

Last but not least have you done a full factory reset from service menu after updating to 2.07? If not i suggest you to do it asap.
Drem likes this.
post #12130 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
Last night i've paid attention at the iris movements in AUTO mode. I usually don't use auto mode i left manual at 0 so i was wondering if i were "missing" some bugs. Well, i can say that if you look directly at the lens as in the video you posted i can clearly see the iris clamping down to a certain degree in some scenes, but if i look at the screen the closing is not so evident. I mean: the iris is doing his work in auto mode but the difference is subtle, you can see it if you're looking for it but the image does not change that much to become distracting.
My question now is: when you're seeing a movie and you are "relaxed", i mean not looking for bugs or similar, you can clearly see the iris closing down? I mean, it is distracting at the point you pause everything to understand what's happening? If yes we have a bug or a defective unit, otherwise it may be normal operation.

Last but not least have you done a full factory reset from service menu after updating to 2.07? If not i suggest you to do it asap.
Thanks for checking. I did the service menu factory reset yesterday, but issue remains. Yes the dynamic iris is working as it should for a while. Usually around 1 hour. It clamps down in dark scenes just about right, just a little, as I like it, and at manual aperture at 0 this is subtle. This is normal operation and all ok, but then when this "bug" arrives, it clamps down almost all the way in dark scenes (as you see in the video), which results that the image gets way to dark. Bright scenes are ok, the DI opens all the way just as normal, just dark scenes suddently closes iris almost all the way. The subtitles gets almost grey. This is not normal operation. Something happens here, either software somehow gets messed up, the DI algoritm, or it could be a hardware issue. When it happens, I turn DI off and continue to watch at manual aperture 0, or I powercycle the projector to get back to normal DI mode. At manual mode, it is not as good with black level (and sometimes scene contrast) is not as good as with Auto DI (before the bug arrives that is..)

What is strange is that no one else has this bug it seems? This makes me think it might be hardware. But then again, it seems to arrive like clockwork, around the 1 hour mark. This makes me think software.

I really have no clue right now. I still havent heard back from the dealer after me reporting back that the issue remains with FW 2.07. He told me JVC knew and would fix the problem in this firmware.

Last edited by Drem; 05-31-2019 at 12:34 AM.
post #12131 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 12065 Post(s)
Liked: 9590
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Do you know if JVC technical department knows about such an issue with the NX / N series of projectors? The reason I ask is because my dealer was told they knew and would fix the issue with the next firmware. Maybe they didnt understand the problem, or my dealer didnt explain it correctly. But for my future talks with my dealer it would nice to know if JVC and I are talking about the same problem. I thought maybe you or Manni have some insight into this through your JVC contacts?
I don't believe your problem is software. It sounds like a problem with hardware. Have had a couple customers have this issue with the previous generation.
post #12132 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Thanks for checking. I did the service menu factory reset yesterday, but issue remains. Yes the dynamic iris is working as it should for a while. Usually around 1 hour. It clamps down in dark scenes just about right, just a little, as I like it, and at manual aperture at 0 this is subtle. This is normal operation and all ok, but then when this "bug" arrives, it clamps down almost all the way in dark scenes (as you see in the video), which results that the image gets way to dark. Bright scenes are ok, the DI opens all the way just as normal, just dark scenes suddently closes iris almost all the way. The subtitles gets almost grey. This is not normal operation. Something happens here, either software somehow gets messed up, the DI algoritm, or it could be a hardware issue. When it happens, I turn DI off and continue to watch at manual aperture 0, or I powercycle the projector to get back to normal DI mode. At manual mode, it is not as good with black level (and sometimes scene contrast) is not as good as with Auto DI (before the bug arrives that is..)

What is strange is that no one else has this bug it seems? This makes me think it might be hardware. But then again, it seems to arrive like clockwork, around the 1 hour mark. This makes me think software.

I really have no clue right now. I still havent heard back from the dealer after me reporting back that the issue remains with FW 2.07. He told me JVC knew and would fix the problem in this firmware.

I have had this issue once. But a soft power cycle fixed it. I have not had it in the past two months now

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #12133 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
I'm sorry to report that the 2.07 update does NOT fix the vertical bars problem. Note that the problem normally might not show up for quite a while so it might appear to be fixed when it is not. In my case it had not shown up for several days, but as soon as I tried a file that had caused it in the past, it came right up. I power cycled it and got the problem again.
Have any other users loaded 2.07 and had the blue bars reappear? I am trying to decide if it is worth upgrading to 2.07.
post #12134 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just updated firmware v2.07 to my N5 (orig. v2.05).
I used the oldest USB stick in my home with only 128MB FAT32. Before update projector told it should take 15 min, actual time was about 10 min. Update was smooth and successful.
It took couple of minutes more time compared to normal startup to get D-ILA screen visible after first restart. I didn't do any factory reset (yet), I'll check first if everything works OK.
Craig Peer likes this.

7.1.4 Dolby Atmos system: Denon AVR-X4500H, Sony DA2400ES(for back Atmos speakers), 2xMonitor Audio Silver RS6, 2xRS1, 2xRadius 90, Radius 225, 4xDali Alteco C-1, BK XLS200, JVC N5BE with Ruipro 10m fibre HDMI cable, Grandview Fixed 4K Edge 100" (1.0), Panasonic DP-UB824, Sony BDP-S790, Topfield cable FHD box, old Sony FHD 46" TV, Denon DP-450USB, Logitech Harmony Hub + Samsung Galaxy S4 TAB, Asus RT-AC68U router
post #12135 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenofin View Post
Just updated firmware v2.07 to my N5 (orig. v2.05).
I used the oldest USB stick in my home with only 128MB FAT32. Before update projector told it should take 15 min, actual time was about 10 min. Update was smooth and successful.
It took couple of minutes more time compared to normal startup to get D-ILA screen visible after first restart. I didn't do any factory reset (yet), I'll check first if everything works OK.
Sure a lot easier now than when I had an RS600 !
post #12136 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjones View Post
Have any other users loaded 2.07 and had the blue bars reappear? I am trying to decide if it is worth upgrading to 2.07.
I think that for most users it could take several days to show up. The only reason that I saw it so soon was because I have a test clip that will cause it within a few trys. Since installing 2.07 I have not seen it at all in normal usage
post #12137 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
I think that for most users it could take several days to show up. The only reason that I saw it so soon was because I have a test clip that will cause it within a few trys. Since installing 2.07 I have not seen it at all in normal usage
About that test clip... are you sure there is nothing wrong with the stream that can cause this issue? I also have one clip that will crash the Shield every single time but it will not crash any other player (hardware or software). If I check that clip in eac3to there is a single video glitch that causes the crash but it is NOT visible on any other player. If I remux the exact same clip with a different app the video glitch is gone and it will no longer crash the Shield.
rjmcinnis likes this.
post #12138 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
About that test clip... are you sure there is nothing wrong with the stream that can cause this issue? I also have one clip that will crash the Shield every single time but it will not crash any other player (hardware or software). If I check that clip in eac3to there is a single video glitch that causes the crash but it is NOT visible on any other player. If I remux the exact same clip with a different app the video glitch is gone and it will no longer crash the Shield.
The material in that clip is on the front of a LOT of videos that I have and play a lot. It's never caused a problem with anything before and did not cause a problem on the original firmware (1.17). As soon as as I installed 1.20 the problem showed up big time. I've since taken to strip that portion from the videos so I can play them without a problem.

I also see the problem on other movies/videos (albeit a lot less frequently) so I'm sure that it is not anything wrong with the stream.
post #12139 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4060 Post(s)
Liked: 3078
Quote:
I think that for most users it could take several days to show up. The only reason that I saw it so soon was because I have a test clip that will cause it within a few trys.
Yours is the first anyone has been able to deliberately and repeatedly trigger the vertical bars problem with a specific piece of content. I hope you've passed this information on to JVC so they can test it for themselves. Hopefully that will help them get to the bottom of the issue.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #12140 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Yours is the first anyone has been able to deliberately and repeatedly trigger the vertical bars problem with a specific piece of content. I hope you've passed this information on to JVC so they can test it for themselves. Hopefully that will help them get to the bottom of the issue.
Yes, I've passed it on to my dealer and he's in contact with JVC. They have asked for pictures and I'm going to do that as soon as I have time. I'm not sure whether he's passed the clip on to JVC yet. It would certainly be interesting to see if they can reproduce the problem with it.

The most frustrating part of this problem is that, because it happens so sporadically, it is so easy to think that the problem is fixed when it really isn't.
desray2k likes this.
post #12141 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 397 Post(s)
Quoted: 5552 Post(s)
Liked: 5381
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Sorry, but the whole N/NX series is a joke!!
You're right, I chuckle every time I fire mine up and enjoy the best picture I've seen in my space by a fair margin... Your posts are so constructive! Why don't you just sell yours off (If you haven't already) and head on out of here if they are bothering you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Thanks.

I am still trying to figure out apart from running ARC, double checking placement of speakers, levels at the main listening position, what else is there in audio calibration.

I dont know if there is a way to upload custom audio curve to my Anthem receiver.

Ultimately to decide whether to spend money on Audio calibration as well.
Oh audio calibration can go soo much deeper than that. With any AutoEQ system like ARC, with the exception perhaps of trinnov, additional work will always yield better results. Anything from dialing in your own "House curve" on the bass which is totally to your own preference, to introducing a slight bump in dB in surrounds for a more immersive effect, to shallow rolloff of the high freqs a la Harman curve theory. That's a rabbit hole that goes quite deep honestly but ultimately depends on what actually sounds best to you.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #12142 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Oh audio calibration can go soo much deeper than that. With any AutoEQ system like ARC, with the exception perhaps of trinnov, additional work will always yield better results. Anything from dialing in your own "House curve" on the bass which is totally to your own preference, to introducing a slight bump in dB in surrounds for a more immersive effect, to shallow rolloff of the high freqs a la Harman curve theory. That's a rabbit hole that goes quite deep honestly but ultimately depends on what actually sounds best to you.

Thanks - but how does the calibrator actually do this? Is there a way for a receiver like Anthem MRX 720 to load custom EQ curves? Or does one need a specialized equipment in middle of receiver and amp?

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #12143 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, I've passed it on to my dealer and he's in contact with JVC. They have asked for pictures and I'm going to do that as soon as I have time. I'm not sure whether he's passed the clip on to JVC yet. It would certainly be interesting to see if they can reproduce the problem with it.

The most frustrating part of this problem is that, because it happens so sporadically, it is so easy to think that the problem is fixed when it really isn't.
It has been sent to a JVC engineer.
post #12144 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 397 Post(s)
Quoted: 5552 Post(s)
Liked: 5381
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
Thanks - but how does the calibrator actually do this? Is there a way for a receiver like Anthem MRX 720 to load custom EQ curves? Or does one need a specialized equipment in middle of receiver and amp?

Both sort of. The anthem's tone controls can be used in many cases, as well as the speaker trim levels. Most subwoofers have some adjustment to them to dial in a house curve but a simple bump in level may be all it takes for you.

You don't really want to just wing it with these types of adjustments without some way to measure, at the very least a standard SPL meter will help you out, but you REALLY want to see what's going on you have to get a measurement microphone like a UMIK-1 (With REW (Free software)) or Omnimic. That way you can actually see what's going on with your response as you make fine adjustments.

Another thing to mention is that auto cal's very rarely get the speaker to subwoofer transition right. They don't even measure to test and see in most cases. ARC doesn't even test for distances period so this area often takes some manipulation to get dialed in. Even with the Audyssey suite, manual adjustment (SDT or subwoofer distance tweak) is needed to get the best response over the crossover area. I could go on for a long time about all these things but all this info is readily available on several threads right here on AVS.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #12145 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Sure a lot easier now than when I had an RS600 !
Hardest part was finding that serial cable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dedicated Theater -Projector -Sony 385es-Screen-Stewart Firehawk 110" 1.78-Video-Panasonic UB-900, Direct Tv-Preamp-Anthem AVM-60-Amplifiers-MM8077, Proceed Amp 5-Sub-SVS-PB13 Ultra Speakers-B&W 803D, HTM1, Side and Rear Wall B&W (4), Ceiling B&W (4)
Xbox One -Panamax M5300-PM-Control 4 Ea-5,Pakedge Router
post #12146 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
You're right, I chuckle every time I fire mine up and enjoy the best picture I've seen in my space by a fair margin...

Oh .
Ya it something else - Man got like 500 hrs already logged in few months - Biggest problem I have is choosing between gaming / movies or shows -
Jacob92175 likes this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #12147 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffg8 View Post
Hardest part was finding that serial cable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
True ! And I needed to carry the laptop into the theater !
post #12148 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 144
RS 1000 appears in the Harmony Elite database, but there's hardly any buttons and it won't power on with it either. Anybody else getting this issue? It's like it's just there but nothing works.

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
post #12149 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

Could you share the file so other owners could give it a try?

rjmcinnis likes this.
post #12150 of 15289 Old 05-31-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
Could you please share the specifics of subwoofer measurement using a (Radio Shack) SPL meter? I know how to set it to measure (and calibrate) typical home theater speakers, but I've never found a way to make it useful for subwoofers. Thanks!
C'mon man, take the audio discussion to the appropriate thread or pm. This is completely off topic here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page