Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 413 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18469Likes

post #12361 of 20285 Old 06-04-2019, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Someone here said that HiRes doesnt work unless you have a + number set in Enhance, is this fact and why?
I prefer to use any sharpening in madvr but wonder if HiRes is worth it or not...

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12362 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Someone here said that HiRes doesnt work unless you have a + number set in Enhance, is this fact and why?
I prefer to use any sharpening in madvr but wonder if HiRes is worth it or not...
As far as i'm (beginning to) understand, setting "standard" will result in a sharpening of the whole image in a "traditional way" (something like raising the general sharpness level on a player like Oppo) but with very few if none negative side effects. "High res" in cmd is specific for a pc input (gaming and similar) but with a native 4k signal (movie) will act in a more subtle way "enhancin" fine small details in a very smooth way. What i can say for sure is that there is a visible difference switching forth and back between the two modes. Anyone can choose what likes better.
post #12363 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 02:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 5433 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
Simply: more detail in 4k using "standard" mode. A LOT more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Wonder why JVC recommends high-res for 4K, then.
My guess is that "standard" adds some artificial sharpening processing to help with 2K images where 4K doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
JVC's enhancement sucks. MadVR's is incredible. That should be enough

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.

Last edited by markmon1; 06-05-2019 at 02:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12364 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 02:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Some initial thoughts on my NX7 after only 14 hours:
  • Convergence seems perfect out of the box
  • Quick startup
  • Silent in low lamp, quite noisy in high lamp, but it’s white noise, so you get used to it (my Sony was less loud but more whining)
  • No real bright corners but cloudiness and light spillage with a blank image. My RS1 had the same spillage, but definitive bright corners
  • Good black levels (barely above my grey screen), and great contrast. After I lowered brightness to -3, I often see perfect black blending between the image and the unfilled screen areas (2:35 on a 16:9 screen), which I hadn’t seen since... I had a JVC!
  • Like others, I’m running in panel zoom mode for 2.x aspect ratios (different lens mode) on my 16:9 screen. 7% more light output, I haven’t really checked for any loss in sharpness yet (it’s optical zoom vs software zoom, and the software zoom has the opportunity to inject more pixels. The question is: how good are those pixels?)
  • I think the DI does a great job on GoT, where the whole image gets really dark. I never see or hear it working.
  • After hitting the vertical bars bug hard when turning on both MPC and Motion Enhanced, I’m now running with Low Latency on and everything else off. It seems OK with most scenes but motion can get jittery, I’ll probably turn MPC on low later, since I’m used to MotionFlow on low with the Sony, which was great
  • HDR movies out of the Panasonic UB820 with HDR Optimizer at 0 (with just brightness at -1, like someone recommended) combined with auto-mapping on the JVC at +3 and BT2020 are fantastic
  • For SDR, I’m currently running with a custom 2.3 gamma
  • Apparently my Xfinity X1Gv4 cable box is outputting BT2020 (in YUV 4:4:4 10 bits), so I’m running in BT2020 mode with zero iris (Auto2), low lamp for TV
  • With Rec 709 mode from a HD BD and DI in Auto2 mode, the yellowing is immediately obvious from the UB820, since the display status has white text. BT2020 mitigates this, but with a lumen hit in low lamp.
  • Therefore, I might run with BT2020 and fully open iris (Auto2) all the time in all modes. The picture is never too bright for my room, although it can get plenty bright. I wonder how the lamp aging will affect this.
  • Luckily, Kris Deering agreed to come and calibrate things, it will be fun to look back at this post once he’s shed more light onto things (pun intended )
jeahrens, Manni01 and AudioFan810 like this.

Last edited by bathes2051; 06-05-2019 at 02:31 AM.
post #12365 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 03:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
My guess is that "standard" adds some artificial sharpening processing to help with 2K images where 4K doesn't.

JVC's enhancement sucks. MadVR's is incredible. That should be enough
Does MadVR basically replace the need for the non-existent Darby 4k type sharpening, or is there still some edge contrast missing from the image like with my old 1080p JVC?

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #12366 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 5433 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Does MadVR basically replace the need for the non-existent Darby 4k type sharpening, or is there still some edge contrast missing from the image like with my old 1080p JVC?
madVR can do all that stuff but way better. I thought Darby looked pretty terrible.
RapalloAV likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #12367 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Simply: more detail in 4k using "standard" mode. A LOT more.
I actually notice the opposite. It may seem sharper in "standard", but you are losing a lot of details due to blown out highlights.
Left Standard vs Right High-res
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Standard vs high res.png
Views:	78
Size:	758.4 KB
ID:	2576108  
post #12368 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikis View Post
I actually notice the opposite. It may seem sharper in "standard", but you are losing a lot of details due to blown out highlights.
Left Standard vs Right High-res
From your pictures to my eyes Standard has more detail but blows out fine detail due to a sort of boosted contrast. And you have to look at your convergence, it seems pretty off to me ...
post #12369 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
From your pictures to my eyes Standard has more detail but blows out fine detail due to a sort of boosted contrast. And you have to look at your convergence, it seems pretty off to me ...
Haha yeah I just turned it on to take that pic.
post #12370 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post
Agreed. Love my Paladin lens with an RS1000. No downside whatsoever.

We lack observations from informed videophiles. My guess is that some don't care to push back. I'd ask them to speak up and don't worry about it. The more info, the better.

Placing glass in front of the JVC lens simply cannot have a neutral impact. Further, there is video processing necessary to squeeze the image and create all the extra pixels. Has this video processing been perfected? Did JVC perfect it or is there any improvement by using the Lumagen? I doubt either have perfected this processing to such a degree that there is no adverse effect. So again, if this sort of video processing has been perfected then either JVC did it or Lumagen did. When did that happen?

I'm not suggesting that there isn't a net overall improvement with Paladin+more video processing. For some. Or even many. I'm merely suggesting that we are only hearing about the upside in this thread.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
post #12371 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 12792 Post(s)
Liked: 10427
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
We lack observations from informed videophiles. My guess is that some don't care to push back. I'd ask them to speak up and don't worry about it. The more info, the better.

Placing glass in front of the JVC lens simply cannot have a neutral impact. Further, there is video processing necessary to squeeze the image and create all the extra pixels. Has this video processing been perfected? Did JVC perfect it or is there any improvement by using the Lumagen? I doubt either have perfected this processing to such a degree that there is no adverse effect. So again, if this sort of video processing has been perfected then either JVC did it or Lumagen did. When did that happen?

I'm not suggesting that there isn't a net overall improvement with Paladin+more video processing. For some. Or even many. I'm merely suggesting that we are only hearing about the upside in this thread.
Kris Deering tested a DCR lens. He said the lens did very well. In actual content, could not tell any loss of sharpness. Takes 4K test patterns and at screen viewing to see any difference and it was very small. So the positive far outweighs the very small negative, other than price.
Tom Bley, Willie, mikela and 3 others like this.
post #12372 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:

If you want the videofiles to chime in I would go to the 20K forum and the Panamorph section and ask your questions. There are a lot of people including Shaun with Panamorph that can answer the ups and downs.

For me I see it with my own eyes. No processing from Lumagen or MadVR just the way it is. Actually in another forum I have been trying out MadVR in the last week and I was told for 4K with the DCR lens I will not see as much of a difference as if I did not have the lens.....

Home Theater: JVC RS2000, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- PB-16 Ultra Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One, HTPC with MadVR, Qnap NAS
post #12373 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 833
What are folks thought on future projection models –
My biggest concern that is JVC will chase Nits over Contrast ratio-
I have never liked the image from flat panels - just not natural in my eyes and cartoonish -
as well as image falls apart in the dark and of course can’t compete on size-
I like to watch films in the pitch dark with no visual distractions-
Imagine most love the super bright images of HDR over black levels and jvc likely
go where they figure most demand

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #12374 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 12792 Post(s)
Liked: 10427
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
What are folks thought on future projection models –
My biggest concern that is JVC will chase Nits over Contrast ratio-
I have never liked the image from flat panels - just not natural in my eyes and cartoonish -
as well as image falls apart in the dark and of course can’t compete on size-
I like to watch films in the pitch dark with no visual distractions-
Imagine most love the super bright images of HDR over black levels and jvc likely
go where they figure most demand
I doubt that really should be a concern. Remember it took JVC several years to get the contrast of their 1080P panels to the current contrast numbers. JVC has already shown that they are working on improving contrast. Look at the native contrast of the RS3000 compared to the RS4500.
GPBURNS, DavidHir and Manni01 like this.
post #12375 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I doubt that really should be a concern. Remember it took JVC several years to get the contrast of their 1080P panels to the current contrast numbers. JVC has already shown that they are working on improving contrast. Look at the native contrast of the RS3000 compared to the RS4500.
be interesting to watch - no HDR to content with 1080P models thou - Black levels are where they seperate themselves and has been their bread an butter

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #12376 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 7187 Post(s)
Liked: 8583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
speaking of Avatar I hope the sequel comes out soon. Maybe JVC can do what Panasonic did, only way to get the movie is if you buy the 3d kit
Speaking of Avatar, when is the original coming out on 4K Blu-ray ?
Jive Turkey and Jacob92175 like this.
post #12377 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:

I'm using a Lumagen Radiance Pro. But that also adds dynamic tone mapping for HDR, which is another step forward picture wise.

I was not an anamorphic lens fan for well over a decade. They were always " one step forward, one step back " picture wise for me. There was always some artifact or downside that bugged me. I was pretty much a dedicated " zoomer " for life. The DCR lens made me have to eat my words on that. And I'm at minimum throw. Anyone in the Northern CA area is more than welcome to come see mine. But be careful - you'll want to buy one afterwards.
mikela, Manni01 and jh901 like this.
post #12378 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Speaking of Avatar, when is the original coming out on 4K Blu-ray ?
Hopefully never, lol.

Avatar to me is only watchable in 3D and is only as such a good movie. I love the immersion on a big screen. I believe in 4K there will be too much distraction from CGI characters related to real actors. I already had a hard time watching it on standard blu-ray. Now what I really wished for, is the 3D version of the extended cut...!
Brandon B and locutus2k like this.
post #12379 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:

Define "informed videophiles". Are the likes of Kris Deering, who calibrates projectors and TVs for a living, or John Bishop, who pretty much created the modern day HT experience and has seen more equipment first hand than all of us combined, or people that have been doing this hobby since way back when we were stacking G90s to get the most detail out of sources that had no detail to begin with...do they count?

I think you are basically looking for someone to tell you that a-lens are horrible and that you should never buy one. Or that the drawbacks outweigh the advantages of the a-lens.

The modern projector has come a long way in the past 20 years and the fact that there are still optics (lenses) that still outperform the current tech is a testament to the incredible craftsmanship that the 10-15 year old German lenses truly are. The a-lens is a lost art form for the most part. The fact that Panamorph is still in the fight for an affordable solution is a true statement that this method still works. Yes, you can still buy the old tech of ISCO IIIs via Schneider and you will pay dearly for it. But the rewards far outweigh any potential or even perceivable drawbacks.

So the questions that you want answered is "Are there any drawbacks to a-lenses?" Yes, many. But the end advantages will be so far greater that you will forget them in about 30 seconds. Think of it this way... you will take one or two steps back when you install the lens but you will take 10-20 forward.
post #12380 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellride View Post
Hopefully never, lol.

Avatar to me is only watchable in 3D and is only as such a good movie. I love the immersion on a big screen. I believe in 4K there will be too much distraction from CGI characters related to real actors. I already had a hard time watching it on standard blu-ray. Now what I really wished for, is the 3D version of the extended cut...!
Ha. Well right back at you - I never watch any 3D. Ever.
Killroy and Dandlj like this.
post #12381 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 09:50 AM
Toe

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked: 3629
Quote:
I'm using a Lumagen Radiance Pro. But that also adds dynamic tone mapping for HDR, which is another step forward picture wise.

I was not an anamorphic lens fan for well over a decade. They were always " one step forward, one step back " picture wise for me. There was always some artifact or downside that bugged me. I was pretty much a dedicated " zoomer " for life. The DCR lens made me have to eat my words on that. And I'm at minimum throw. Anyone in the Northern CA area is more than welcome to come see mine. But be careful - you'll want to buy one afterwards.
I cant remember what A-lens John had at the Springs shootout 2 years ago, but it was extremely impressive I thought! I couldn't see ANY negatives with the demo we were given.
Craig Peer and GPBURNS like this.
post #12382 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
You are really missing some spectacular footage... Some people hate the tech and the glasses.
post #12383 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventidal View Post
You are really missing some spectacular footage... Some people hate the tech and the glasses.
It's easier to pour wine without wearing 3D glasses. I'll take 4K and a nice Barolo instead, thanks !
Dave Vaughn and rjmcinnis like this.
post #12384 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You're losing one of the strongest quality point of your Jvc projector. I have never seen a better 3D than with this N series. Never, and i'm a big fan of 3D since day one so i've seen a lot of tv/projectors. Is just ... stunning!

Pour wine in the intermission break
panman40 likes this.
post #12385 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
You're losing one of the strongest quality point of your Jvc projector. I have never seen a better 3D than with this N series. Never, and i'm a big fan of 3D since day one so i've seen a lot of tv/projectors. Is just ... stunning!

I have no issues pouring wine wearing 3D glasses in the pitch dark, neither does my wife who normally tops our glasses

JVC DLA-X7900 3D Projector, Sapphire 106" Electric screen, Sony KDL-55W905 3D TV, Pana TX-L37LZD80, Panasonic UB820, UB700, BDT-380 MZ, Panasonic DMP-BD60, Sky Q 2TB, Fire TV 4K, Marantz SR7012, 7.1.2, SVS PC2000 Sub, Kef Q600C Centre, Q300 fronts, Ci160QR Ceilings, CA SX60 Surrounds, Harmony 950+hub.
post #12386 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I cant remember what A-lens John had at the Springs shootout 2 years ago, but it was extremely impressive I thought! I couldn't see ANY negatives with the demo we were given.
The main negative on the DCR lens is with 16:9 content and needing to take it off if you want it perfect or have a processor that will fix it. For me I just leave it in place and call it a day.....
Toe likes this.

Home Theater: JVC RS2000, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- PB-16 Ultra Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One, HTPC with MadVR, Qnap NAS
post #12387 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

This! I tried the 3D the other day and was shocked at how good it was. WOW.
locutus2k and Jacob92175 like this.

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
post #12388 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 4101 Post(s)
Liked: 7196
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
The main negative on the DCR lens is with 16:9 content and needing to take it off if you want it perfect or have a processor that will fix it. For me I just leave it in place and call it a day.....
Be happy to fix that for you.........
RapalloAV and BondDonBond like this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #12389 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

Begs the questions: How many witnesses/testimonials are needed? What exactly qualifies someone to be an "informed videophile". The JVC users posting in this (JVC) thread are not exactly a truckload of video neophytes.

There are other threads as well on AVS relative to the Paladin and Paladin DCR lens. Have you read them, and secondarily, have you read any substantial negatives in any of those threads? If I had to guess, I would guess the answer is no to both questions.
Tom Bley, RapalloAV and tommarra like this.
post #12390 of 20285 Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:

There is no intermission break. And I don't have an "N " series projector - I have an RS4500.
SSnarski likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page