Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 421 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17738Likes

post #12601 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
SO if you have a room full of 8 people watching a movie and half way through it gets blue bars you're fine with it? You'll have to power off projector, wait for the 2 minute red flashing light and fan to power down the projector in the lamp cool down. Then when that's done you'll have go get up and go unplug the projector for 30 seconds or maybe longer to be sure. Then you'll have to power on and go through a quick warm up cycle before you can resume your movie. If that happened here I'd be super embarrassed of my equipment.
I would also find that experience to be very frustrating. In fact - even without the projector it's frustrating me. Here's why.

I have an RS600 with a 156" diagonal 2.40 1.3 gain screen and am planning to upgrade to a 182" diagonal 2.40 1.3 gain screen.

One of the options I am considering is an NX9, Paladin DCR, and Lumagen (the latter for DTM and to fix the JVC 6% stretch problem with Anamorphic B).

If my calculations are correct I would end up with about the same brightness that I currently have for scope (albeit probably needing to use high lamp to match my current brightness for 16:9 which is currently setup for low lamp). I figure for scope movies I will have 36% more screen area to fill and about that in additional brightness (15% more lumens from the 2,200 lumen projector and 26% more lumens from using 2160 pixels vertically instead 1707, less a small amount of loss in the anamorphic lens). And a much better experience with HDR due to DTM.

I certainly respect those who are happy to deal with the risk of the vertical bars - but I would prefer to see that issue conclusively resolved before purchasing an NX9.
DVD MAN and markmon1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12602 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The NX5 is my first projector, so please excuse what may be a stupid question, but should I put the lens cap back on after use?
Ediddy and chamii123 like this.
post #12603 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2210 Post(s)
Liked: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by savefarris View Post
The NX5 is my first projector, so please excuse what may be a stupid question, but should I put the lens cap back on after use?
You can, but I wouldn't. The risk of scratching the lens or knocking the projector alignment off just isn't worth it. There were some options to clean the lens a few pages back if it gets particularly bad, but a little dust is normal.
Archibald1 and chamii123 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12604 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 09:41 AM

Great, thank you for the quick reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
You can, but I wouldn't. The risk of scratching the lens or knocking the projector alignment off just isn't worth it. There were some options to clean the lens a few pages back if it gets particularly bad, but a little dust is normal.
post #12605 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 5419 Post(s)
Liked: 5777
Quote:
Hi, I would leave the lens cap off permanently & pick up one of these, they are very popular with photographers to gently blow dust off the lens on occasion.

https://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA190.../dp/B00017LSPI
chamii123 likes this.
post #12606 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 09:43 AM

Just ordered one, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Hi, I would leave the lens cap off permanently & pick up one of these, they are very popular with photographers to gently blow dust off the lens on occasion.

post #12607 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7106 Post(s)
Liked: 8437
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I have one - it works quite well !

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #12608 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
SO if you have a room full of 8 people watching a movie and half way through it gets blue bars you're fine with it? You'll have to power off projector, wait for the 2 minute red flashing light and fan to power down the projector in the lamp cool down. Then when that's done you'll have go get up and go unplug the projector for 30 seconds or maybe longer to be sure. Then you'll have to power on and go through a quick warm up cycle before you can resume your movie. If that happened here I'd be super embarrassed of my equipment.
I have been strongly considering one of these new JVC's, but this blue bar issue is concerning. I agree with @markmon1 that even if the blue bars are rare, this is a major issue. I've been using projectors for over 15 years and have never had any projector randomly malfunction and require a restart.

-Having the blue bars happen during a movie event is embarrassing and disrupts the mood, but maybe even worse would be during a live sporting event. It's 4th and goal with 10 seconds left, the QB drops back to pass and .... blue bars with the interception. Yes, we all have dvr's so we can rewind, but one halftime per game is enough.
-Even if the blue bars only happen on average every 100-200 hours, it could happen 20 minutes or 2 hours after the last incident. So it's not like you can watch worry-free for 100 hours after it happens.

Hopefully JVC can fix this soon and releases a public notice (could be simply in firmware notes) so we know it was diagnosed and fixed. If it turns out to be a hardware issue, that sounds like a really complicated problem that might involve a total recall (not the movie). Until we hear from JVC though, we don't know how easy or hard this problem will be to fix or if they even know how to fix it. That makes it hard to pull the trigger on a purchase.
post #12609 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Just received confirmation that my rs2000 is ready for pickup!

Thanks to John and the guys at the screening room for getting one within a month. Looking forward to setting this up.

I've been wondering with the blue bar issue, has anyone seen it with madvr and a custom refresh rate? If it is being caused by a sync/handshake playing with custom timings might make it better or worse
post #12610 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:

There is no lens cap. What comes is simply a cover to protect while shipping. Do not put it back on. You will scratch the lens and mess up the focus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Killroy and chamii123 like this.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #12611 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been thinking on the vertical line issue and I'm leaning towards a software issue. If this was a heat issue from an over stressed component then I would think we would see it more often and it should happen repeatedly with the same stressful material. Also since I'm guessing most, if not all, components are passively cooled with the main fans circulating air over them, the reset cycle isn't likely to remove a lot of the residual heat and starting the same content back up that just caused it should result in the problem manifesting itself again in short order. Which we're not seeing to my knowledge. Most of these read like after the reset it takes a random amount of time for the problem to reoccur.

It acts like a corrupt buffer of some kind that the unit isn't clearing until a full reset.

post #12612 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2457 Post(s)
Liked: 1325
Anything is possible, but...

The problem is there are many that haven't experienced the issue ever even after hundreds of hours, but some that have experienced it repeatedly every few hours.

Some people have replaced their units and then not seen the issue on the replacement even though they had a way to somewhat reproduce the issue, whereas they were having the issue every few hours prior. Software means every person would generally have it equally and it should be equally dispersed. There could be other factors or differences between those peoples setup that is triggering the problem, but no way to really know.

I don't think it's heat, sounds like an electrical issue, but almost as much chance it could be software.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 06-10-2019 at 11:44 AM.
post #12613 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

The problem is there are many that haven't experienced the issue ever even after hundreds of hours, but some that have experienced it repeatedly every few hours.

Some people have replaced their units and then not seen the issue on the replacement even though they had a way to somewhat reproduce the issue, whereas they were having the issue every few hours prior. Software means every person would generally have it equally and it should be equally dispersed. There could be other factors or differences between those peoples setup that is triggering the problem, but no way to really know.

I don't think it's heat, sounds like an electrical issue, but almost as much chance it could be software.
If it's electrical why so intermittent? Not saying it can't be. Just seems like when I've had a component dying on a motherboard for example, it's usually not an intermittent thing. This seems like data corruption in a memory space that has volatile data in it (possibly the output side of the video processor). There's a lot of variables. Especially since the problem manifests intermittently for the most part. Is a replacement unit not seeing it due to different firmware? Is a replacement unit not seeing it because the person hasn't recreated all their preferences/calibrations? Do the calibration settings in general play a part?

I guess I just keep leaning software because after years of PC and server configuration and maintenance I just don't generally see hardware cause such an intermittent issue that goes away for a long period of time with just a power reset. But like you say there is no way to really know. At least not without debug data.

post #12614 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
There is no lens cap. What comes is simply a cover to protect while shipping. Do not put it back on. You will scratch the lens and mess up the focus.
Is this true? How ill it scratch the lens? I've always put my lens cap back on my previous JVC and I've been doing it with my new projector and never had an issue. I've always done it so nobody or no thing can touch the lens accidentally (and it is only about 6 feet off the ground and in a relatively accessible location). Is it really a bad thing just to slide the lens cap back on when the projector is not going to be used for, say, a week?
post #12615 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Because the cap is hard plastic and not soft silicone. Also for most they will have to do calisthenics to get to the lens . :-)

But to each to his own - I would not risk scratching the lens coating and I was told that touching the lens may cause variations of focus

This is only my first JVC projector so not an expert on what can / should be done for other projectors

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #12616 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Strange. It says in the manual after turning the power off to attach the lens cover.

post #12617 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Hey guys, I have the Chief mount, if I want to extend it, do I just get the CMS-003 (3" extender) as well as the Designer ceiling plate?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...geID/accessory

Thanks

FAMILY ROOM - Totem Tribe II LCR, JL Audio E-112, Anthem MRX 720, Apple TV, WD HDTV, Panasonic 55" Plasma
BASEMENT THEATRE - Paradigm Studio 100 v5, 690 v5, 10x4 v5, Anthem AVM 60, Outlaw Audio 7700 & 7125, 2x JTR Captivator S2s, X-Box One X, Apple TV 4K, HTPC, JVC NX-5, 106" screen
post #12618 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 03:20 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked: 1769
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post
Hey guys, I have the Chief mount, if I want to extend it, do I just get the CMS-003 (3" extender) as well as the Designer ceiling plate?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/317046-REG/Chief_CMA101_CMA101_5.html/pageID/accessory

I personally do not like the limited Foot Print of the Chief "X" plate.

The Peerless ACC570 Round Plate is structurally more sound, and the base's larger 8"+ in circumference rim offers much better sideways "sheer" support for a 48 lb Projector.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/447994-REG/Peerless_Industries_ACC570_Round_Ceiling_Plate.htm l

There are actually 4 Mounting Holes around the Rim.......................

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with the Extension, of course.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #12619 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Quoted: 12696 Post(s)
Liked: 10318
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

The replacement units did not come with the same firmware.
post #12620 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Quoted: 12696 Post(s)
Liked: 10318
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
I personally do not like the limited Foot Print of the Chief "X" plate.

The Peerless ACC570 Round Plate is structurally more sound, and the base's larger 8"+ in circumference rim offers much better sideways "sheer" support for a 48 lb Projector.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/447994-REG/Peerless_Industries_ACC570_Round_Ceiling_Plate.htm l

There are actually 4 Mounting Holes around the Rim.......................

Thanks

Nothing wrong with the Extension, of course.[/QUOTE]

Larger circumference, but thin pressed metal stamping. Does not hold as rigid. Have installed 100's of those plates in schools, where they try to get by with the cheapest option.
wombats likes this.
post #12621 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Re blue bars - this was never reported by people with early versions of the firmware right? I’ve only read about it on here since the firmware update that gave us the Panasonic profiles onwards

If people had reported the blue bars issue since day 1 of release then it would smell of a hardware issue, but that’s not the case?

post #12622 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post

Thanks
Holy smokes!!! $10 for 3" pipe?!?! Go to a plumbing supply house and that pipe will cost you $2. I just got a 12" one for $9.
post #12623 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 5015 Post(s)
Liked: 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
There is no lens cap. What comes is simply a cover to protect while shipping. Do not put it back on. You will scratch the lens and mess up the focus
The owners manual recommends putting the lens cover back after use (p23).
smitty, Tom Bley, tommarra and 1 others like this.
post #12624 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Nothing worse then showing some friends something and have it glitch out or fail......

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
post #12625 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 06:55 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 6785 Post(s)
Liked: 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecat View Post
I have been strongly considering one of these new JVC's, but this blue bar issue is concerning. I agree with @markmon1 that even if the blue bars are rare, this is a major issue. I've been using projectors for over 15 years and have never had any projector randomly malfunction and require a restart.

-Having the blue bars happen during a movie event is embarrassing and disrupts the mood, but maybe even worse would be during a live sporting event. It's 4th and goal with 10 seconds left, the QB drops back to pass and .... blue bars with the interception. Yes, we all have dvr's so we can rewind, but one halftime per game is enough.
-Even if the blue bars only happen on average every 100-200 hours, it could happen 20 minutes or 2 hours after the last incident. So it's not like you can watch worry-free for 100 hours after it happens.

Hopefully JVC can fix this soon and releases a public notice (could be simply in firmware notes) so we know it was diagnosed and fixed. If it turns out to be a hardware issue, that sounds like a really complicated problem that might involve a total recall (not the movie). Until we hear from JVC though, we don't know how easy or hard this problem will be to fix or if they even know how to fix it. That makes it hard to pull the trigger on a purchase.
From what I see there is no way this is happening often at all. This thread would be lit up like a Christmas tree if every projector was effected. I have seen maybe 3 or 4 cases in here unless I am not remembering correctly. From our own clients zero.

---I agree even for one guy to have to deal with this is no fun, but it is far from the norm. If you want to see widespread glitches, hop over to the TV section of the forum...

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 06-10-2019 at 07:00 PM.
post #12626 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandlj View Post
Re blue bars - this was never reported by people with early versions of the firmware right? I’ve only read about it on here since the firmware update that gave us the Panasonic profiles onwards

If people had reported the blue bars issue since day 1 of release then it would smell of a hardware issue, but that’s not the case?

I was thinking the same thing. It does seem like the issue was introduced with later firmware. Mine came with 2.04 and it appears (at least on this thread) that most users who experienced the issue had 2.01 or later. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my end by hoping it's just a firmware issue.

That being said, I haven't seen the issue since upgrading to 2.07 (though I know a few owners have). Fingers crossed
post #12627 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
If it's electrical why so intermittent? Not saying it can't be. Just seems like when I've had a component dying on a motherboard for example, it's usually not an intermittent thing. This seems like data corruption in a memory space that has volatile data in it (possibly the output side of the video processor). There's a lot of variables. Especially since the problem manifests intermittently for the most part. Is a replacement unit not seeing it due to different firmware? Is a replacement unit not seeing it because the person hasn't recreated all their preferences/calibrations? Do the calibration settings in general play a part?

I guess I just keep leaning software because after years of PC and server configuration and maintenance I just don't generally see hardware cause such an intermittent issue that goes away for a long period of time with just a power reset. But like you say there is no way to really know. At least not without debug data.
It happens with PC parts too, it's just not as common because the volume they are dealing in is so much higher volume than things like projectors. The problems are spotted quickly in their initial RMA process and they have to correct them fast because if you are selling $100 to $200 part and getting bombarded with RMA, you're losing a lot of money quickly. If you always order the earliest runs or v1 revisions of motherboards, I've seen similar things happen, like random reboots every 2 weeks from overheating bus controller, or just compatibility issues with firmware, or you get a bad memory chip and you get weird BSOD's.

I've seen the vertical lines issue on 2 projectors and three times on PC's. On the PC, two times it was heat related and once it appeared to be a faulty capacitor. On the projector I saw, it was a resistor and the problem was self-fixable by replacing the resistor, as several people did in the forums. The bad resistor was confirmed by the manufacturer (Mitsubishi) and they even sent out a diagram to repair shops so it would be easy for them to fix the issue. The other projector that had it, I have no idea what the issue was, but it was hardware related as it was sent back to the MFR.

When the Mits hc4000 had the issue, it appeared eerily similar to this, only a select few people were having problems, and it would only show up after hours of usage.

Last edited by coderguy; 06-10-2019 at 09:07 PM.
post #12628 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
It sounds to me like a cable issue. I don't know the lenght/brand of your cable but if it's a long run i suggest you a Ruipro cable (i've tried various brand but at some moment i've had the same issues like yours, until i've found the Ruipro).
You may be right. The cable brand is Furui. I contacted the manufacturer since they quoted a lifetime guarantee. The guy says he will discuss with engineering and then later gets back to me. He says the pro version of the cable I bought might not be the best match for this projector and recommends a slightly different cable. As it happens I already have one of this other cable unopened because of the sale they were having. I thought the only difference was a braided cover on the pro one, but he says not. So he is sending me another of the non-braided ones to replace it.

I think the issue has to do with how the cable is powered. After talking with him, what really corrected it was not time/warmup; it was when I disconnected both ends of the cable at the same time. He seemed pretty confident, we'll see. I have not swapped it yet and it was fine tonight. I will probably just connect both cables since I have two ins and outs, then wait for it to happen again so I can try the other one immediately and see if it fixes.

thanks
steve
post #12629 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandlj View Post

I had it with 1.20 through the current 2.07 (and I only had 1.17 for a couple of days so I might have missed it). On the other hand, 2.07 was supposed to fix it (and apparently did for some people) but the replacement projector I got was good on both 2.06 and 2.07.

My educated guess is that it is a hardware problem with a (sometimes) firmware work-around.
post #12630 of 19352 Old 06-10-2019, 09:30 PM

There isn't much they can do with firmware to get around a HW issue, generally it's one or the other. However, the one exception they can do is change some of the operating environment variables I suppose to try to counteract the issue, but generally hardware is hardware and firmware is software.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page