Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 429 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13322Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12841 of 14119 Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,517
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4650 Post(s)
Liked: 2945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Recent units are very unlikely to have this issue. But if someone has a problem, JVC is right on it with firmware or a replacement unit. Even my Sim Lumis Host used to have the rare issue - it would freeze up. And when I say freeze up, you couldn't get it to do anything including turn off. Had to pull the plug. Still one of the best projectors I ever owned. The RS4500, now that I think about it, is the most glitch and problem free projector I've owned in 17+ years. I'd bet the new models will be trouble free too with a few more firmware updates.
I couldn't own a projector that was doing that crap intermittently. I'd always be waiting for it to happen again. It's such a deal breaker.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12842 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 01:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Drem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 110
So looks like I will get a third replacement N7. I just believe I've been very unlucky in getting units with DI issues. Lets hope that the third time is the charm. Distributor says there is a shortage, as we all know, so I have no idea yet when this will be replaced, but I asked for the latest batch possible.
Drem is offline  
post #12843 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 01:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
woofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SwiftsCreek, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,405
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 2061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
So looks like I will get a third replacement N7.
Gee, that would really bestow confidence in a product for me!!!
OzHDHT and tigerhonaker like this.
woofer is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12844 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 03:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
If you have a good tone mapping solution for HDR (madVR or such) and your 1000ES doesn't suffer from panel degradation, then I don't know why you'd not just keep the 1000ES for several more years.

.
Well as you know yourself there is no substitute for having several projectors side by side in your own set up to test with your own material over a sustained period of time so you can really evaluate the differencials for yourself.

If the NX9 blows my 1000es away then I can offload the Sony at a dirt cheap price and enjoy the NX9 for the rest of the 4K cycle.

If the 1000es blows away or at least surpasses the NX9 then I will offload the NX9 at a knock down price(so making a slight loss).

And whatever else you say about Sony they do put the cat among the pigeons at specific points in time.

They did it in 2004 with the Qualia when there was no 1080i/p competition.
They did it in 2012 with the 1000es when there was no 4K competition(be it in the TV or projection world).
Something tells me they may do it again with 8K.

And I do find it interesting that JVC have pre-empted Sony by installing a quasi 8K option on the NX9

Am still in the process of making up my mind to pull that trigger(its a big trigger) on the NX9.

Am sure it's wonderful projector whatever
Craig Peer likes this.
TheSony4KRises is offline  
post #12845 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,517
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4650 Post(s)
Liked: 2945
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
Well as you know yourself there is no substitute for having several projectors side by side in your own set up to test with your own material over a sustained period of time so you can really evaluate the differencials for yourself.

If the NX9 blows my 1000es away then I can offload the Sony at a dirt cheap price and enjoy the NX9 for the rest of the 4K cycle.

If the 1000es blows away or at least surpasses the NX9 then I will offload the NX9 at a knock down price(so making a slight loss).

And whatever else you say about Sony they do put the cat among the pigeons at specific points in time.

They did it in 2004 with the Qualia when there was no 1080i/p competition.
They did it in 2012 with the 1000es when there was no 4K competition(be it in the TV or projection world).
Something tells me they may do it again with 8K.

And I do find it interesting that JVC have pre-empted Sony by installing a quasi 8K option on the NX9

Am still in the process of making up my mind to pull that trigger(its a big trigger) on the NX9.

Am sure it's wonderful projector whatever
My guess is you pay $15k or whatever and find that the NX9 is only slightly better than the 1000ES. If your 1000ES is not degraded, the specs between the two are pretty similar. I'm sure the black floor on the JVC is better but it won't be as good as your RS600 so if you already say it's close, then it'll be even closer than that. The lens on the 1000ES is equal to NX9 most likely. Lumens are basically the same. The only difference here will be HDR support and if you're tone mapping prior to the projector that won't matter either.

I know you are convinced that making pixels 1/4 the size they are at 4K is going to be the next big thing. But pixels are already too small for most to really benefit from 4K as they sit too far back. Even then, the difference between 4k and 1080p is slight, subtle. The difference between 4k and 8k would be even more slight and more subtle.

At 4K, I'm already at the point where I can disable anti aliasing in games and not see jaggies. 8K won't be able to improve upon that unless I push closer to the screen. I'm already 7 feet from 135" not sure how much closer I can even get. Probably no more without my head becoming a big shadow in the image.
TheSony4KRises likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is online now  
post #12846 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 3,736
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1809 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
My guess is you pay $15k or whatever and find that the NX9 is only slightly better than the 1000ES. If your 1000ES is not degraded, the specs between the two are pretty similar. I'm sure the black floor on the JVC is better but it won't be as good as your RS600 so if you already say it's close, then it'll be even closer than that. The lens on the 1000ES is equal to NX9 most likely. Lumens are basically the same. The only difference here will be HDR support and if you're tone mapping prior to the projector that won't matter either.

I know you are convinced that making pixels 1/4 the size they are at 4K is going to be the next big thing. But pixels are already too small for most to really benefit from 4K as they sit too far back. Even then, the difference between 4k and 1080p is slight, subtle. The difference between 4k and 8k would be even more slight and more subtle.

At 4K, I'm already at the point where I can disable anti aliasing in games and not see jaggies. 8K won't be able to improve upon that unless I push closer to the screen. I'm already 7 feet from 135" not sure how much closer I can even get. Probably no more without my head becoming a big shadow in the image.
Doesn't look like the Sony has support for BT2020 or the latest HDMI. Those would be pluses for a newer unit.

jeahrens is online now  
post #12847 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
TheSony4KRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
My guess is you pay $15k or whatever and find that the NX9 is only slightly better than the 1000ES. If your 1000ES is not degraded, the specs between the two are pretty similar. I'm sure the black floor on the JVC is better but it won't be as good as your RS600 so if you already say it's close, then it'll be even closer than that. The lens on the 1000ES is equal to NX9 most likely. Lumens are basically the same. The only difference here will be HDR support and if you're tone mapping prior to the projector that won't matter either.

I know you are convinced that making pixels 1/4 the size they are at 4K is going to be the next big thing. But pixels are already too small for most to really benefit from 4K as they sit too far back. Even then, the difference between 4k and 1080p is slight, subtle. The difference between 4k and 8k would be even more slight and more subtle.

At 4K, I'm already at the point where I can disable anti aliasing in games and not see jaggies. 8K won't be able to improve upon that unless I push closer to the screen. I'm already 7 feet from 135" not sure how much closer I can even get. Probably no more without my head becoming a big shadow in the image.
Yes that is my hunch too............but I guess you will never really know until have you have them side by side.....and that is the really tempting part.
Got quite a bit of flack a few years back on this very forum for actually preferring the way my little Panny AE2000 handled some stuff relative to the 1000es.
One area where I know the NX9 has definitely got the 1000/1100es beat is with posterization(or the lack thereof).
Lens,contrast,ANSI and even tone mapping are potentially minor differences favouring either one or the other projector.
HDMI 2.0 and BT2020 have given no discernible advantage to the rs600 over the 1000es in my 2 year experience of having the 2 PJs.

As for native 8K.....I would be very curious to see it first before drawing any conclusions.

Which is where laying out a bucket load of money for either the NX9 or the 995es in 2018-19.......only to find a native 8K PJ on the market by 2019/20 is another factor to take into consideration.
And anyways ....looking forward to changing my name to the Sony8KRises....or the JVC8KRises

But anyways a huge fan of the rs600 and i am sure the NX9 is fantastic
Craig Peer likes this.

Last edited by TheSony4KRises; 06-18-2019 at 07:10 AM.
TheSony4KRises is offline  
post #12848 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
jake51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Denmark
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I won't be buying a new projector for a year or so
I was thinking that the N5 should replace my X5000 (RS400 in the US, I think), once the price of the N5 comes down
But now, reading of the green bars, I just don't know
Does anybody know if it's a hardware or firmware problem?
It would drive me absolutely crazy to suddenly have bars across the image
Jive Turkey likes this.
jake51 is offline  
post #12849 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,789
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6619 Post(s)
Liked: 7691
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I couldn't own a projector that was doing that crap intermittently. I'd always be waiting for it to happen again. It's such a deal breaker.
I agree, but Mike and I have a much larger data base to go by than you do. So believe me when I say it's very rare. And if it does happen to someones projector, JVC takes care of them. Period.
locutus2k, mikela and Dandlj like this.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #12850 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 3,736
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1809 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSony4KRises View Post
Yes that is my hunch too............but I guess you will never really know until have you have them side by side.....and that is the really tempting part.
Got quite a bit of flack a few years back on this very forum for actually preferring the way my little Panny AE2000 handled some stuff relative to the 1000es.
One area where I know the NX9 has definitely got the 1000/1100es beat is with posterization(or the lack thereof).
Lens,contrast,ANSI and even tone mapping are potentially minor differences favouring either one or the other projector.
HDMI 2.0 and BT2020 have given no discernible advantage to the rs600 over the 1000es in my 2 year experience of having the 2 PJs.

As for native 8K.....I would be very curious to see it first before drawing any conclusions.

Which is where laying out a bucket load of money for either the NX9 or the 995es in 2018-19.......only to find a native 8K PJ on the market by 2019/20 is another factor to take into consideration.
And anyways ....looking forward to changing my name to the Sony8KRises....or the JVC8KRises

But anyways a huge fan of the rs600 and i am sure the NX9 is fantastic
You can't see a difference with BT2020/WCG on a UHD disc? On my RS520 it was easily discernible vs. REC709. Not that I don't believe you, it just seems very strange. I don't see an 8K native panel and HDMI 2.1 being here for a while in the projector space. They still have kinks being worked out in the 4K arena.

Very curious to see what you think of the NX9 so please post back with your opinion.


Last edited by jeahrens; 06-18-2019 at 07:42 AM.
jeahrens is online now  
post #12851 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
gravi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 541
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I couldn't own a projector that was doing that crap intermittently. I'd always be waiting for it to happen again. It's such a deal breaker.
Never owned a Windows computer?

To be fair I have had Linux servers freeze up also - rare but certainly a non-zero probability
Mike Garrett likes this.
gravi is offline  
post #12852 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,789
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6619 Post(s)
Liked: 7691
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
Never owned a Windows computer?

To be fair I have had Linux servers freeze up also - rare but certainly a non-zero probability
A Windows 10 update removed my ability to print or even connect to a printer ( and I'm not the only one ). Weeks later that got fixed in another update.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #12853 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,789
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6619 Post(s)
Liked: 7691
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
You can't see a difference with BT2020/WCG on a UHD disc? On my RS520 it was easily discernible vs. REC709. Not that I don't believe you, it just seems very strange. I don't see an 8K native panel and HDMI 2.1 being here for a while in the projector space. They still have kinks being worked out in the 4K arena.

Very curious to see what you think of the NX9 so please post back with your opinion.
They haven't re-sold me all my favorite movies on 4K yet. They need at least 3 or 4 more years to fully milk the 4K cow.
Jive Turkey likes this.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #12854 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 3,736
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1809 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
They haven't re-sold me all my favorite movies on 4K yet. They need at least 3 or 4 more years to fully milk the 4K cow.
This a very good point. And think about how much difficulty they have getting cables to pass 18Gb/s. Imagine 48Gb/s. I think everything would have to be active fiber at that point. And you would need receiver/preamp as well as a source update. And as Markmon1 rightly points out to what gain? We're already at a point where the pixels are tiny. Sure 8K will come. So will HDMI 2.1. But I think it will be a slow transition. Probably similar to 4K. They'll start making only 8K sets at some point and quit making 4K. Over time sources that are 8K will pop up. But I think it will be met with less enthusiasm than 4K was. There's just not many scenarios where 8K resolution will be apparent to the viewer.

jeahrens is online now  
post #12855 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,028
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6409 Post(s)
Liked: 6404
Quote:
Originally Posted by chamii123 View Post
Maybe in the US but in Australia I ran into some resistance.
JVC offered phone advice which I have followed but I haven't received a reply to my email.
Did you reach out to your dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Gee, that would really bestow confidence in a product for me!!!
There are guys in just about every TV thread that return 6 units sometimes.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post
I won't be buying a new projector for a year or so
I was thinking that the N5 should replace my X5000 (RS400 in the US, I think), once the price of the N5 comes down
But now, reading of the green bars, I just don't know
Does anybody know if it's a hardware or firmware problem?
It would drive me absolutely crazy to suddenly have bars across the image
True is always in the numbers, odds are you are not going to have an issue if you do buy a unit. Going off the serial numbers of the RS1000 and RS2000 there are about 500 of each in the USA, that is not going into the NX5 and NX7 units which are probably about the same.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #12856 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,789
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6619 Post(s)
Liked: 7691
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
This a very good point. And think about how much difficulty they have getting cables to pass 18Gb/s. Imagine 48Gb/s. I think everything would have to be active fiber at that point. And you would need receiver/preamp as well as a source update. And as Markmon1 rightly points out to what gain? We're already at a point where the pixels are tiny. Sure 8K will come. So will HDMI 2.1. But I think it will be a slow transition. Probably similar to 4K. They'll start making only 8K sets at some point and quit making 4K. Over time sources that are 8K will pop up. But I think it will be met with less enthusiasm than 4K was. There's just not many scenarios where 8K resolution will be apparent to the viewer.
Agreed - 4K can look spectacular now. The one good thing about 8K, is it may drive down the price of 4K. I'm all for that !
Jive Turkey and tigerhonaker like this.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #12857 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
tommarra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 340
When do people upgrade their projectors?

If we believe that the current JVC Chassis is good for another 3-5 years, then unless there is a fundamental shift isn the light engine / panel, would anyone upgrade?

Even if Lasers are avaiable at the price point of N7, I dont see myself upgrading. But I have read some people on this forum upgrade every 2-3 years.


Just curious why do people upgrade when there is no significant shift in the technology (eShift --> 4K, Lamp --> Laser, 1080 --> 4K, etc.)

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
tommarra is offline  
post #12858 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,525
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
When do people upgrade their projectors?

If we believe that the current JVC Chassis is good for another 3-5 years, then unless there is a fundamental shift isn the light engine / panel, would anyone upgrade?

Even if Lasers are avaiable at the price point of N7, I dont see myself upgrading. But I have read some people on this forum upgrade every 2-3 years.


Just curious why do people upgrade when there is no significant shift in the technology (eShift --> 4K, Lamp --> Laser, 1080 --> 4K, etc.)
tommarra,

In my case I up-graded because Runco was totally dropped when a Chinese Corporation purchased the brand.
And it happened really quick with no notice to the Runco customers at all.
I happened at the time to have had the Runco VX-11d that retailed for $30,000.00 US dollars.
I even purchased an extended warranty that I also lost the cost of when Runco was totally dropped.
That was in the thousands of dollars.
Just my opinion but I think if we are speaking of say what many would consider the upper working Middle-Class in the USA.
We would not be dumping $30K projectors just to go to the next Latest & Greatest that came out.
I know in my case I would have retained my Runco and been content with it even though it did not do 4K.
It would do 1080p but that's all ..........

So in my case it was done out of "Necessity" !!!

Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #12859 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 10:24 AM
Member
 
yankiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I really do wish all the posts in this thread were posted by Owners and not people making assumptions on equipment they do not own. I just hate reading through pages of posts with many irrelevant posts wasting time.

JVC DLA-NX9 | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |
yankiy is offline  
post #12860 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 3,736
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1809 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
When do people upgrade their projectors?

If we believe that the current JVC Chassis is good for another 3-5 years, then unless there is a fundamental shift isn the light engine / panel, would anyone upgrade?

Even if Lasers are avaiable at the price point of N7, I dont see myself upgrading. But I have read some people on this forum upgrade every 2-3 years.


Just curious why do people upgrade when there is no significant shift in the technology (eShift --> 4K, Lamp --> Laser, 1080 --> 4K, etc.)
I generally try to get 4-5 years. I think people that upgrade more quickly are trying to get more resale out of their current investment and the latest bells and whistles (no matter how small the change is).

This last cycle was a bit odd for me. I upgraded my JVC RS46 after going on a theater crawl to see the latest 4K offerings. After seeing what Sony was doing in the native 4K space, and JVC and Epson in the e-shift space I decided that the JVC offered the best 4K experience for me. That cycle (RS46->RS520)was a bit quicker than usual, but after seeing UHD in action it was something I wanted. The RS520 to NX7 shift was probably the quickest upgrade I've ever done. Not because of any dissatisfaction with the RS520. It was simply a combination of the free lamp, the preorder pricing and that a friend locally wanted my current unit. The cost to upgrade was very attractive for a projector that should hit my normal 4 year plus lifespan.

Like you I see the current lineup being very similar to the RSx00 as far as longevity. I would imagine we'll see incremental tweaks for 2-3 more models and then a move to a different light source. 8K and HDMI 2.1 may get adopted before this, but it will likely be an HDMI chipset upgrade and e-shift faux 8K. I see native 8K panels being at least 5 years away for JVC. Sony may jump in sooner though as they did with 4K.

jeahrens is online now  
post #12861 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 11:20 AM
Member
 
Yoxxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
A Windows 10 update removed my ability to print or even connect to a printer ( and I'm not the only one ). Weeks later that got fixed in another update.
They also removed the split keyboard on surfaces, did not replace it for almost six months
Craig Peer likes this.
Yoxxy is offline  
post #12862 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 11:31 AM
Member
 
Yoxxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
When do people upgrade their projectors?

If we believe that the current JVC Chassis is good for another 3-5 years, then unless there is a fundamental shift isn the light engine / panel, would anyone upgrade?

Even if Lasers are avaiable at the price point of N7, I dont see myself upgrading. But I have read some people on this forum upgrade every 2-3 years.


Just curious why do people upgrade when there is no significant shift in the technology (eShift --> 4K, Lamp --> Laser, 1080 --> 4K, etc.)
RS35 -> RS60 -> RS66 -> RS600 -> RS-2000

I'd like to say it's every two years but I find myself upgrading based on the feature set. Going from the RS66 to the RS600 was out of desperation. The 66 was plagued with operational problems.

I would expect to keep the RS2000 for a couple of years at least. I'd like to think the money would be better spent on masking for 2:35 content as the black bars on top and bottom are really the only things that bug me about the projector. In my mind I remember the RS2000 being better.

Last edited by Yoxxy; 06-18-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Yoxxy is offline  
post #12863 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,864
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
When do people upgrade their projectors?

If we believe that the current JVC Chassis is good for another 3-5 years, then unless there is a fundamental shift isn the light engine / panel, would anyone upgrade?

Even if Lasers are avaiable at the price point of N7, I dont see myself upgrading. But I have read some people on this forum upgrade every 2-3 years.


Just curious why do people upgrade when there is no significant shift in the technology (eShift --> 4K, Lamp --> Laser, 1080 --> 4K, etc.)
Depends on the individual. Many used to every model but since the 4x0/5x0/6x0 series, we caught on to the small updates. Unless something significant happens, I doubt most would blindly upgrade unless needed. I own the rs15-35-40-48-49-55-49-400-520 and now RS2000/N7. Unless a laser 4k projector that's affordable from JVC, I doubt I would jump this time to upgrade for any feature update
Nexgen76 likes this.
blee0120 is offline  
post #12864 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Erod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 1,798
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
When do people upgrade their projectors?

If we believe that the current JVC Chassis is good for another 3-5 years, then unless there is a fundamental shift isn the light engine / panel, would anyone upgrade?

Even if Lasers are avaiable at the price point of N7, I dont see myself upgrading. But I have read some people on this forum upgrade every 2-3 years.


Just curious why do people upgrade when there is no significant shift in the technology (eShift --> 4K, Lamp --> Laser, 1080 --> 4K, etc.)
I love my rs620 so much that virtually all of my attention now is devoted to incremental audio upgrades. I have no itch to upgrade whatsoever because it's a zero-issue device for me with excellent PQ matched with a Panny ub820.

When HDMI 2.1 source material matters and when laser is affordable, that's probably my next jump.

Gonna be a while.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Erod is offline  
post #12865 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nexgen76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,143
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Depends on the individual. Many used to every model but since the 4x0/5x0/6x0 series, we caught on to the small updates. Unless something significant happens, I doubt most would blindly upgrade unless needed. I own the rs15-35-40-48-49-55-49-400-520 and now RS2000/N7. Unless a laser 4k projector that's affordable from JVC, I doubt I would jump this time to upgrade for any feature update

I couldn't agree more, after chasing the small update from JVC pixel shifter I'm not updating until JVC release laser light source that affordable, The way things looking that's going to be 3-5 years.

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
Nexgen76 is offline  
post #12866 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
den110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 604
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus2k View Post
If you have a chance to verify production date before purchasing, go for a MAY unit with stock 2.06 or 2.07 firmware and i'm pretty sure you'll have a great machine with zero issues.
I just picked up my RS2000 from my local dealer last week. I actually drove to his location as I didn't want to risk damage during shipping from his location to my house. He was only an hour away in New Jersey. My build is May 2019 and FW is 2.06. It throws a beautiful picture on my 140" diag. scope screen. So far no issues - I only have about 10 hours on it so far. I attached some pics. PJ is not calibrated but black level is amazing. I will use the AutoCal as instructed by Manni once I get more hours on the bulb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	2581700   Click image for larger version

Name:	RS2000_2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	2581702   Click image for larger version

Name:	RS2000_1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	2581704   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	2581706   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	2581708  

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	2581710  

Dedicated HT Equipment: Klipsch RF82BK L+R Speakers|Klipsch RC62BK CC Speaker|Definitive Technology B92X Surrounds|NHT Super One Rear Surrounds|4 Polk MC80 Ceiling Atmos|Velodyne VLF 1012 and Definitive Technology PF1500TL+ SWs|Marantz SR7012 Receiver|Yamaha RXV1800 Receiver for Atmos|JVC RS2000 Projector|Seymour Center Stage UF AT 140" diag 2:35 Screen on DIY frame and false front wall
den110 is offline  
post #12867 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by den110 View Post
I just picked up my RS2000 from my local dealer last week. I actually drove to his location as I didn't want to risk damage during shipping from his location to my house. He was only an hour away in New Jersey. My build is May 2019 and FW is 2.06. It throws a beautiful picture on my 140" diag. scope screen. So far no issues - I only have about 10 hours on it so far. I attached some pics. PJ is not calibrated but black level is amazing. I will use the AutoCal as instructed by Manni once I get more hours on the bulb.
What manufacturer & model of UHD player are you using?

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Panasonic UB820, Oppo 103D, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12
docrog is offline  
post #12868 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,517
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4650 Post(s)
Liked: 2945
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
Never owned a Windows computer?

To be fair I have had Linux servers freeze up also - rare but certainly a non-zero probability
I have a windows server that’s gone over 700 days without a reboot. That stuff is rock solid.
markmon1 is online now  
post #12869 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bwillcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,295
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I have a windows server that’s gone over 700 days without a reboot. That stuff is rock solid.
Off topic, but I have got to ask...You never update your server and just live with all of its vulnerabilities?

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
bwillcox is offline  
post #12870 of 14119 Old 06-18-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 3,736
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1809 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Off topic, but I have got to ask...You never update your server and just live with all of its vulnerabilities?
If a server has no access to the Internet and is essentially an island it can be done. I've seen a Windows server stay up about that long that ran an industrial tool. Just kept plugging away.

Reality is a server is rarely ever truly isolated and you end up with at least a monthly patch cycle.

jeahrens is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off