Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 485 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17650Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14521 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 01:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
You are seeing the bulb flicker because the video was filmed in slo-mo (on a 240FPS camera) in order to more easily showcase the artifacts in a recorded video.

Watching the scene in real-time on the projector itself there is no need to slow it down to see the artifacts clearly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsBuddy View Post
Now that you guys mentioned it, analogue bulb flicker makes sense. Analogue bulbs, be it incandescent or Xeon, operate directly on alternating current, which in US is at 60Hz (50Hz in Europe). LEDs and, I'd guess, lasers operate on DC and can be driven at much higher frequency, 120, 240 etc. The higher the frequency the lesser bulb flicker = calm image.
So here is another question. Lots of PC monitors and TVs have black frame insertion or ULMB (strobing backlight) to improve the clarity of moving images. Is the 60hz bulb flicker doing essentially the same thing for 60fps content?

This could be part of the reason why I've seen really annoying motion in source material that I never noticed before. Some 24fps content just judders a lot. For a while I thought it was my projector settings but eventually I realized it was just the source material for some films. I have noticed the motion on these projectors is quite good even with motion enhance off.

For laser light sources, are they actually strobing at 120hz and 240hz? I guess they must be?
wombats is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14522 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 01:25 PM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 3,373
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2712 Post(s)
Liked: 1867
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsBuddy View Post
Now that you guys mentioned it, analogue bulb flicker makes sense. Analogue bulbs, be it incandescent or Xeon, operate directly on alternating current, which in US is at 60Hz (50Hz in Europe). LEDs and, I'd guess, lasers operate on DC and can be driven at much higher frequency, 120, 240 etc. The higher the frequency the lesser bulb flicker = calm image.
Flicker in UHP lamp projectors is usually due to an unstable arc on the electrodes dancing around. You can find often that a period of high lamp mode can recondition the electrodes a bit and reduce visible flicker.
bobof is online now  
post #14523 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,525
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7099 Post(s)
Liked: 8431
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombats View Post
I never would have thought that the bulb flicker was so drastic. I guess this is why people say that laser projectors have significant "image calmness". Thank you for the information! I learned a lot!
That " calm look " to the image is one thing I love about the RS4500.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14524 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,704
Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12680 Post(s)
Liked: 10313
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
That " calm look " to the image is one thing I love about the RS4500.
The lamp based 3000 has that same calm look.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #14525 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 01:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Drem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
Got my replacement JVC on Friday (they actually tried to deliver Thursday, but I wasn't home and wasn't expecting a delivery - I got the tracking info after it was delivered). Thankfully, I was able to talk to the delivery guy on my Nest Hello camera and let my step-daughter know to go open the door. It came on a pallet with lots of markings about it being fragile, and a cone on top to prevent stacking. The box was in perfect shape.



I finally got it up on the shelf Saturday and got it aligned as best I could (I think better than I had the previous one, but still not 100% perfect - is that possible?). I didn't have much time to do much with it, but convergence was off a little with the blue vertically. I got that lined up, but it's still off a little horizontally on the left side. Not sure I can tell from my seating position, though. Initial thoughts were that it seemed a little crisper and had more pop that my first unit, but that might just be because it's new and not calibrated or really even adjusted. And, I didn't even setup a scope setting, so I was viewing everything on the smaller 16:9 section of my screen.



The startup times are greatly improved. First time was 45 seconds, and the 2nd time last night was 41 seconds. Easily the two fastest times I've had, and much much better than the 5-7, if not more, minutes I was typically getting.
Congrats! Whats the build date and firmware version?

Skickat från min SM-G973F via Tapatalk
Drem is offline  
post #14526 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,170
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post
Congrats! Whats the build date and firmware version?

Skickat från min SM-G973F via Tapatalk
May if I recall correctly, and 2.07.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #14527 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 02:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Drem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
May if I recall correctly, and 2.07.
Thanks. I will also recieve a new unit wednesday. Im just curious was is the latest batch, but they sure dont seem to be mass produced

Skickat från min SM-G973F via Tapatalk
Drem is offline  
post #14528 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 03:37 PM
LCC
Member
 
LCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I thought I had seen where JVC was again offering free lamp with purchase somewhere back in the thread. I cannot find it, or maybe it was another projector brand. I've been looking at som many threads. Is this offer on again?
LCC is offline  
post #14529 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,704
Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12680 Post(s)
Liked: 10313
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCC View Post
I thought I had seen where JVC was again offering free lamp with purchase somewhere back in the thread. I cannot find it, or maybe it was another projector brand. I've been looking at som many threads. Is this offer on again?
They are, but only for the RS3000, until end of September. This is in the US.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #14530 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
DVD MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Marlboro, NJ
Posts: 973
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I believe the lamp offer is only on the NX9/RS3000.
DVD MAN is offline  
post #14531 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 242
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCC View Post
How does the NX5 and NX7 do with sports? A fair bit of watching during the season is with sports over the air or from PS Vue through the Apple TV. How does the JVC handle motion? Is the native panel resolution going to cause bars on 16:9 1080P? I currently have the Sony HW40es. I know this will be a significant improvement for movies but the whole sports thing and regular 1080P 16:9 tv viewing is huge with my wife...
I view a ton of sports on my NX7 via PS Vue on Roku Ultra. I’m quite pleased with it for streamed sports programming. My screen is 16:9, so no bars to speak of. I’ve not noticed anything unattractive regarding motion. I’d most definitely notice motion issues if they existed.
Karl Maga is offline  
post #14532 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 04:14 PM
LCC
Member
 
LCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Maga View Post
I view a ton of sports on my NX7 via PS Vue on Roku Ultra. I’m quite pleased with it for streamed sports programming. My screen is 16:9, so no bars to speak of. I’ve not noticed anything unattractive regarding motion. I’d most definitely notice motion issues if they existed.
That's awesome! I feel a ton better. I'll be picking up the NX5 tomorrow. Not sure I need the NX7. But need is so relative ha ha.
Karl Maga likes this.
LCC is offline  
post #14533 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 04:37 PM
Senior Member
 
avsBuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 100
My replacement RS1000 also clocks startup at around 45 seconds. Vast improvement over my old unit that could take up to 3 min. Was shipped using "Trump Card" freight. Box looked clean, but ended up having a huge hole on a side. Seemed like delivery person tried to balance box by hand and carton gave in. JVC should really improve packaging for these heavy projectors.
avsBuddy is online now  
post #14534 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 2,722
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Watched "Crazy Rich Asians" on our NX7 last night. Just the Blu-ray version. Wow! What colors and contrast! The scenes of Singapore, the scenes inside the mansions, etc. and the night scenes were just real eye-candy. Can't get over how great this projector looks on even stuff in 1080p.
smitty is offline  
post #14535 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
monstosity12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Back wall clearance

Manual says to leave at least 8 inches in back of the unit due to heat.
Is there wiggle room from this number, or should I definitely stick to 8inches from rear wall

Trying to get things situated before I make the purchase from avs
monstosity12 is online now  
post #14536 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,359
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5344 Post(s)
Liked: 3468
Quote:
Originally Posted by kecarmi View Post
Same thing just happened to me (minus the storm). Went to the theater this morning, fired up the projector, and it says "no input". After playing around a bit, found out HDMI 1 is dead, and HDMI 2 works just fine.
Try blowing the HDMI1 out with a can of compressed air.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #14537 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,359
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5344 Post(s)
Liked: 3468
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCC View Post
How does the NX5 and NX7 do with sports? A fair bit of watching during the season is with sports over the air or from PS Vue through the Apple TV. How does the JVC handle motion? Is the native panel resolution going to cause bars on 16:9 1080P? I currently have the Sony HW40es. I know this will be a significant improvement for movies but the whole sports thing and regular 1080P 16:9 tv viewing is huge with my wife...
It should look better than your HW40ES on sports. Motion on new JVC's is as good as Sony now. While JVC's 4K upscaler isn't great, it wont look worse than the native 1080p HW40, either. The projector will auto mask the sides when sending a 16x9 signal so if you have a 16x9 screen there will be no bars to deal with.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #14538 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 7,111
Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5003 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
The projector will auto mask the sides when sending a 16x9 signal so if you have a 16x9 screen there will be no bars to deal with.
The way I understand it is that one would adjust the zoom such that the two black side bars fall on the light-absorbent frame and hence are not visible. There is no “auto mask” per se. Even if there were a mask, it wouldn’t make the side bars look any blacker.
Mike Garrett likes this.
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #14539 of 19234 Old 08-05-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,750
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6770 Post(s)
Liked: 6778
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsBuddy View Post
My replacement RS1000 also clocks startup at around 45 seconds. Vast improvement over my old unit that could take up to 3 min. Was shipped using "Trump Card" freight. Box looked clean, but ended up having a huge hole on a side. Seemed like delivery person tried to balance box by hand and carton gave in. JVC should really improve packaging for these heavy projectors.
Its not just the JVC projectors that need double boxed, most things high value need it.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #14540 of 19234 Old 08-06-2019, 02:02 AM
Senior Member
 
KarlKlammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Time to warm up the Spyder. Gamma is drifting again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NX9 20190803 BT709 Low 2_4.PNG
Views:	65
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	2599202   Click image for larger version

Name:	NX9 20190803 BT709 Low 2_4 Gamut.PNG
Views:	60
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	2599204  

Projection: JVC DLA-NX9
VP/Calibration: Lumagen Radiance Pro, LightSpace CMS, x-rite i1 Pro 2, x-rite i1 Display 3
KarlKlammer is offline  
post #14541 of 19234 Old 08-06-2019, 05:11 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 3,373
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2712 Post(s)
Liked: 1867
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlKlammer View Post
Time to warm up the Spyder. Gamma is drifting again.
How many hours now?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
bobof is online now  
post #14542 of 19234 Old 08-06-2019, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Tom899's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Its not just the JVC projectors that need double boxed, most things high value need it.
Yes, and thanks for Cleveland Plasma and Chris for double boxing.

Pioneer UDP-LX500 | Denon AVR-X4400H | Emotiva A-300 2ch amp | Emotiva PA-1 monoblock | JVC DLA-RS1000 Projector | Mini DSP 4x2 | Dune HD Smart D1 | ZIDOO Z9S | Buttkicker system | HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs(2) | HSU MBM-12 MK2 Mid bass module | Klipsch RP-8000F(2) | Klipsch RP-504C | Klipsch RS-62 II(2) | Polk RC80i Ceiling(4) | Carada 134” screen | unRAID 40TB
Tom899 is offline  
post #14543 of 19234 Old 08-06-2019, 05:49 AM
Senior Member
 
KarlKlammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
How many hours now?
The drift is not really dependant on lamp hours. You can get a unit that has been in stock for some time. And it has already drifted.
I think for March built units it starts to get interesting.


As for lamp hours on my unit: 80. It's warm and bright outside. And that allows a few other activities.
bobof likes this.

Projection: JVC DLA-NX9
VP/Calibration: Lumagen Radiance Pro, LightSpace CMS, x-rite i1 Pro 2, x-rite i1 Display 3
KarlKlammer is offline  
post #14544 of 19234 Old 08-06-2019, 08:15 AM
Senior Member
 
vaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Amesterdam, Ohio
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I know this is probably not the right form for this question but it does pertain to the JVC 2000. So after changing out my Sony 600 es for the jvc the dialogue is off. So I get into my Marantz receiver and try to correct this by increasing the milliseconds only to find out that it made it worse. The problem is I need to decrease which the Marantz doesn't have. I also should mention that this occurs when watching dish network. I also looked in the dish menu and couldn't find anything that pertains to audio sync. Thanks for any help
vaha is offline  
post #14545 of 19234 Old 08-06-2019, 08:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Drem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by kecarmi View Post
Same thing just happened to me (minus the storm). Went to the theater this morning, fired up the projector, and it says "no input". After playing around a bit, found out HDMI 1 is dead, and HDMI 2 works just fine.
I also lost HDMI1 once. Dont remember what brought it on, but functuonality was restored after re-flash of firmware.

Skickat från min SM-G973F via Tapatalk
Drem is offline  
post #14546 of 19234 Old 08-06-2019, 11:35 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys - 60 hours into my RS2000 and really enjoying it.

However, I'm pretty frustrated with streaming HDR content. For any content I have to sit and tweak the gamma to try and avoid scenes being too dark. Yah typical problem I know.

But I found a solution that makes the projector hands off again. I disabled HDR in my Apple 4K, setup a natural/BT2020/6300K/2.2 Gamma/Auto Iris 2. And bingo. All the content looks great and I don't have to tweak.

So I guess I'm just stumbling on the reason why everyone is anxious for the MadVR Envy to ship? This is the sort of annoying problem it's trying to solve?

Anyway - STreaming in 4K with BT2020 looks glorious and HDR like anyway. So I don't feel I'm missing much TBH. So this isn't a horrible solution. But to those that know - how much better would the MadVR Envy solution make thing look?
OnTheSnap is offline  
post #14547 of 19234 Old 08-06-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 7,111
Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5003 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
But I found a solution that makes the projector hands off again. I disabled HDR in my Apple 4K, setup a natural/BT2020/6300K/2.2 Gamma/Auto Iris 2. And bingo. All the content looks great and I don't have to tweak.
If you disable HDR on Apple TV 4K it will output “standard” SDR, using Rec 709 instead of BT2020.
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #14548 of 19234 Old 08-06-2019, 12:21 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
If you disable HDR on Apple TV 4K it will output “standard” SDR, using Rec 709 instead of BT2020.
Yah - but the projector is set to BT2020. I notice a very good improvement with Bt2020 enabled. Despite the source content. My 2c.
OnTheSnap is offline  
post #14549 of 19234 Old 08-06-2019, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 7,111
Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5003 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Yah - but the projector is set to BT2020. I notice a very good improvement with Bt2020 enabled. Despite the source content. My 2c.
“Forcing” BT2020 with Rec709 material will make colours oversaturated, and is not an “improvement” although you may prefer that,
Manni01, Mike Garrett and bobof like this.
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #14550 of 19234 Old 08-06-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,985
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Hey guys - 60 hours into my RS2000 and really enjoying it.

However, I'm pretty frustrated with streaming HDR content. For any content I have to sit and tweak the gamma to try and avoid scenes being too dark. Yah typical problem I know.

But I found a solution that makes the projector hands off again. I disabled HDR in my Apple 4K, setup a natural/BT2020/6300K/2.2 Gamma/Auto Iris 2. And bingo. All the content looks great and I don't have to tweak.

So I guess I'm just stumbling on the reason why everyone is anxious for the MadVR Envy to ship? This is the sort of annoying problem it's trying to solve?

Anyway - STreaming in 4K with BT2020 looks glorious and HDR like anyway. So I don't feel I'm missing much TBH. So this isn't a horrible solution. But to those that know - how much better would the MadVR Envy solution make thing look?

I was using the tone mapping of the rs2000 and it served me well. Things looked accurate. Also, I have a nvidia shield TV and the HDR was a drop off in performance and watching HDR material as well as other HD material was preferred on my oppo 203. I would not suggest to run bt2020 filter with rec.709 but if it looks best for you, go for it. It's always going to be what looks best to you at the end of the day. I recently sold my oppo 203 for close to double what I paid for it. Built my Madvr pc for $1100 and sold my oppo 203 for $950, so I paid a small fee to upgrade to my MadVR HTPC with a rtx 2070 super. I was not expecting a major difference but the PC could be used for 4k gaming. Not sure how the Envy will fully operate but the dynamic tone mapping is impressive and the upscaling is phenomenal. The rs2000 has never looked this impressive before. Gaming is great as well. I think the Envy is going to be worth it. It probably won't be as good as what I have with the rtx 2070 super tho, but I can see it being a priority.
rjmcinnis likes this.
blee0120 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off