Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 486 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17703Likes

post #14551 of 19319 Old 08-06-2019, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
Has anyone here experienced any NEW problems which occurred after updating to firmware v2.07? My NX7 has performed flawlessly since the v2.00 update which included the Panasonic/JVC profiles. Would I be prudent to avoid the update and "let sleeping dogs lie"?

Go for it bro, this firmware (2.07) exhibits no issue as far as I can tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14552 of 19319 Old 08-06-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
It's not due to MPC, it's due to "Motion Enhance" Motion Enhance is a feature that reduces motion blur by overdriving the LCoS panels. You see a similar feature in LCD monitors usually just called overdrive. JVC has a low and high motion enhance option which overdrives the panels a little and then overdrives them a lot.

There seems to be some artifacts though when using even low motion enhance combined with the wide color gamut modes (HDR, DCI-P3, and BT.2020). The artifact seems to be most present in the reds, where you get an "after shadow" following the motion.

Here is a slow mo video capture of the artifact.

You can see the yellow on his neck and around his nose area. This in HDR color profile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knmhHX-kvUg

Here is the movie in rec709 color profile, you can see the artifact is gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgv6lGT8Azo

Also, turning off motion enhance removes the artifact from any mode.

I have seen the artifact in many scenes in many movies in HDR + motion enhance low, but have never seen it in any content in rec709 + motion enhance low.

What SOWK is saying is it would be nice if the motion enhance could work well at least on low in wide color gamut like it does in rec709. For now we just have to leave motion enhance off for HDR content if we want to avoid the possibility of seeing thee artifacts randomly in a movie. But I should mention that not every movie will necessarily have a scene composition which exposes the artifact.

Yep. Because of this artefact, most of us have already turned of Motion enhance a long time ago. In fact, it can also help to reduce the incident of random vertical stripes across the screen at times iirc.

post #14553 of 19319 Old 08-06-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Hey guys - 60 hours into my RS2000 and really enjoying it.

However, I'm pretty frustrated with streaming HDR content. For any content I have to sit and tweak the gamma to try and avoid scenes being too dark. Yah typical problem I know.

But I found a solution that makes the projector hands off again. I disabled HDR in my Apple 4K, setup a natural/BT2020/6300K/2.2 Gamma/Auto Iris 2. And bingo. All the content looks great and I don't have to tweak.

So I guess I'm just stumbling on the reason why everyone is anxious for the MadVR Envy to ship? This is the sort of annoying problem it's trying to solve?

Anyway - STreaming in 4K with BT2020 looks glorious and HDR like anyway. So I don't feel I'm missing much TBH. So this isn't a horrible solution. But to those that know - how much better would the MadVR Envy solution make thing look?

Any word when MadVR Envy going to be released?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14554 of 19319 Old 08-06-2019, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 310
So my RS2000 started having the freezing bar issue after 350 hours of no issues. I tried updating to the new 2.07 firmware and no usb drive I have tried will work, including the one I used to upgrade to the last firmware. I tried 5 different drives, usb 2 and usb 3, all freshly formatted to Fat32 with the firmware folder copied to root. I get the same no usb drive error every time.
post #14555 of 19319 Old 08-06-2019, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
I was using the tone mapping of the rs2000 and it served me well. Things looked accurate. Also, I have a nvidia shield TV and the HDR was a drop off in performance and watching HDR material as well as other HD material was preferred on my oppo 203. I would not suggest to run bt2020 filter with rec.709 but if it looks best for you, go for it. It's always going to be what looks best to you at the end of the day. I recently sold my oppo 203 for close to double what I paid for it. Built my Madvr pc for $1100 and sold my oppo 203 for $950, so I paid a small fee to upgrade to my MadVR HTPC with a rtx 2070 super. I was not expecting a major difference but the PC could be used for 4k gaming. Not sure how the Envy will fully operate but the dynamic tone mapping is impressive and the upscaling is phenomenal. The rs2000 has never looked this impressive before. Gaming is great as well. I think the Envy is going to be worth it. It probably won't be as good as what I have with the rtx 2070 super tho, but I can see it being a priority.
I'm not totally up to speed on HDR options - So you use your HTPC with MADVR as a BluRay player. Which out performs your old Oppo?

For gaming on the HTPC, are you just using a wireless keyboard/mouse or sticking to games with xbox controller support?

MadVR Envy ship date - Looks like no one knows. I'd guess it's a $2K GPU based box doing on the fly HDR re-mapping. So basically you can get any HDR source: Streaming, UHD, etc to have the same look as your MadVR BluRay player.
post #14556 of 19319 Old 08-06-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Quoted: 12687 Post(s)
Liked: 10317
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
I was using the tone mapping of the rs2000 and it served me well. Things looked accurate. Also, I have a nvidia shield TV and the HDR was a drop off in performance and watching HDR material as well as other HD material was preferred on my oppo 203. I would not suggest to run bt2020 filter with rec.709 but if it looks best for you, go for it. It's always going to be what looks best to you at the end of the day. I recently sold my oppo 203 for close to double what I paid for it. Built my Madvr pc for $1100 and sold my oppo 203 for $950, so I paid a small fee to upgrade to my MadVR HTPC with a rtx 2070 super. I was not expecting a major difference but the PC could be used for 4k gaming. Not sure how the Envy will fully operate but the dynamic tone mapping is impressive and the upscaling is phenomenal. The rs2000 has never looked this impressive before. Gaming is great as well. I think the Envy is going to be worth it. It probably won't be as good as what I have with the rtx 2070 super tho, but I can see it being a priority.
At a minimum, I expect it to be as good, if not better.
post #14557 of 19319 Old 08-06-2019, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The rtx super is basically maxing out madvr, so that would be great
post #14558 of 19319 Old 08-06-2019, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
If that is true it will be a $3500+++ box. Envy will take a lot of horse power to beat a 2070 Super with MadVR, I have a 2070 and it is running at 90% and not close to max on all settings.

Only a few weeks away and we will be seeing hopefully here in Denver.

Home Theater: JVC RS2000, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- PB-16 Ultra Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One, HTPC with MadVR, Qnap NAS
post #14559 of 19319 Old 08-06-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
I'm not totally up to speed on HDR options - So you use your HTPC with MADVR as a BluRay player. Which out performs your old Oppo?

For gaming on the HTPC, are you just using a wireless keyboard/mouse or sticking to games with xbox controller support?

MadVR Envy ship date - Looks like no one knows. I'd guess it's a $2K GPU based box doing on the fly HDR re-mapping. So basically you can get any HDR source: Streaming, UHD, etc to have the same look as your MadVR BluRay player.

I preferred the JVC to do tone mapping over the oppo tone mapping and regular HDR. madvr tone mapping is dynamic and frame by frame. So, its superior to anything we have currently and the upscaling is the best. A recorded TV show looks like a 4k disc at times.

For gaming, I use my nvidia shield controller. I do have a wireless keyboard and mouse. I use a server as well, so I basically just view 95% on the pc
post #14560 of 19319 Old 08-06-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
If that is true it will be a $3500+++ box. Envy will take a lot of horse power to beat a 2070 Super with MadVR, I have a 2070 and it is running at 90% and not close to max on all settings.

Only a few weeks away and we will be seeing hopefully here in Denver.
It probably will be over $3500. Lumagen is more than that.
post #14561 of 19319 Old 08-06-2019, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5351 Post(s)
Liked: 3477
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaha View Post
I know this is probably not the right form for this question but it does pertain to the JVC 2000. So after changing out my Sony 600 es for the jvc the dialogue is off. So I get into my Marantz receiver and try to correct this by increasing the milliseconds only to find out that it made it worse. The problem is I need to decrease which the Marantz doesn't have. I also should mention that this occurs when watching dish network. I also looked in the dish menu and couldn't find anything that pertains to audio sync. Thanks for any help
I'd power cycle the source and receiver first. Lag values can be part of the HDMI sync process. Also, you could try turning on CMD. That will increase video lag (at least for that source) and therefore, decrease audio lag.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #14562 of 19319 Old 08-06-2019, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5351 Post(s)
Liked: 3477
Quote:
Yea outperforms the oppo and has dynamic tone mapping plus the worlds best upscaling.

Quote:
Im not the OP but there are so many games that work with controllers now. I play exclusively on the controller. If the game doesnt support controller, I pass. PC library of controller games is bigger than xbox one / ps4 combined.

Quote:
The ENVY is due to have some premiere at CEDIA this year and is suppose to debut in 2019

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #14563 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Yea outperforms the oppo and has dynamic tone mapping plus the worlds best upscaling.

Im not the OP but there are so many games that work with controllers now. I play exclusively on the controller. If the game doesnt support controller, I pass. PC library of controller games is bigger than xbox one / ps4 combined.

The ENVY is due to have some premiere at CEDIA this year and is suppose to debut in 2019
Yes, I think they would want to not miss the Christmas season.
post #14564 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Hey Guys,

Have been out of this thread for months. Enjoying my RS2000/NX7.

Hoping you can help with smart remote compatibility.

For some reason, the JVC does not play nice with Harmony remotes.

Even though the command is properly put into the remote, it will not turn on with a general activity command.

Even worse, when the projector turns off, it is not done so with a single power-off click. When you hit the OFF command, the projector wants to know if you really want to turn it off or not, and then you have to click it off a second time.

Is there something in the configuartion system that will switch the remote to a single OFF command instead of having to hit it twice? It would certainly help with the smart remotes.
post #14565 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post
Hey Guys,

Even though the command is properly put into the remote, it will not turn on with a general activity command.

Even worse, when the projector turns off, it is not done so with a single power-off click. When you hit the OFF command, the projector wants to know if you really want to turn it off or not, and then you have to click it off a second time.

Is there something in the configuartion system that will switch the remote to a single OFF command instead of having to hit it twice? It would certainly help with the smart remotes.

You simply have to deactivate the eco MODE at the JVC and there are no problems at all
rjmcinnis likes this.
post #14566 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Hey Guys,

There is an easy fix for the JVC turn off command. Go into the programmer for the Harmony - either the PC version or the tablet mode. Go to an activity that is supposed to shut the JVC off. Select Customize This Activity. Down at the bottom of the command, select Add Delay and set to 2 seconds. Then Add Step, select the JVC Projector, Command Standby. Add another 2 second delay step then Command Standby again. Repeat for any other activity that is supposed to shut the JVC off. Should work every time. Mine does.
post #14567 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
You simply have to deactivate the eco MODE at the JVC and there are no problems at all
Oh, that simple?!

Okay, problem solved.

THANK YOU
post #14568 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjones View Post
There is an easy fix for the JVC turn off command. Go into the programmer for the Harmony - either the PC version or the tablet mode. Go to an activity that is supposed to shut the JVC off. Select Customize This Activity. Down at the bottom of the command, select Add Delay and set to 2 seconds. Then Add Step, select the JVC Projector, Command Standby. Add another 2 second delay step then Command Standby again. Repeat for any other activity that is supposed to shut the JVC off. Should work every time. Mine does.
In the Device settings you can also customize the Power Off step, so that it works for all activities. Mine is set to send PowerOff, delay 1000ms, then PowerOff again. I just opened my Harmony settings to see what I had it set to, and it's still named RS600. Had my RS3000 for 7 months now, and it's worked perfectly without changes on my remote
rjmcinnis likes this.
post #14569 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
In the Device settings you can also customize the Power Off step, so that it works for all activities. Mine is set to send PowerOff, delay 1000ms, then PowerOff again. I just opened my Harmony settings to see what I had it set to, and it's still named RS600. Had my RS3000 for 7 months now, and it's worked perfectly without changes on my remote
If I recall, I used NX9 in Harmony. It seemed to have more codes available and on off worked fine.
post #14570 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 09:44 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6781 Post(s)
Liked: 6781
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
Watched "Crazy Rich Asians" on our NX7 last night. Just the Blu-ray version. Wow! What colors and contrast! The scenes of Singapore, the scenes inside the mansions, etc. and the night scenes were just real eye-candy. Can't get over how great this projector looks on even stuff in 1080p.
No question about that
post #14571 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Maga View Post
I view a ton of sports on my NX7 via PS Vue on Roku Ultra. I’️m quite pleased with it for streamed sports programming. My screen is 16:9, so no bars to speak of. I’️ve not noticed anything unattractive regarding motion. I’️d most definitely notice motion issues if they existed.
That's awesome! I feel a ton better. I'll be picking up the NX5 tomorrow. Not sure I need the NX7. But need is so relative ha ha.
I've had my nx5 for 4 months and all I watch are sports on a 150 inch screen 16 by 9 using a Android box. Projector at 20 ft sitting at 18 ft looks perfect great detail. Finding the best feed off the Android box is key to the best picture. I was told the JVC is not the best for sports but the deal was good and zero complaints. No motion issues and scaling has been easy to fit on the 16 by 9 screen
post #14572 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked: 3325
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
Similarly, my Harmony was programmed years ago for an RS40. Those turn-on/turn-off activities still work fine on my NX7 with no modifications.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #14573 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
Just finished firing up the JVC. The ECO MODE was off so that was not the issue, unfortunately.

Wish I didn't have to do two clicks to shut the projector off.

Maybe I should try an RS40 device in the Harmony.
post #14574 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1960 Post(s)
Liked: 1260
Quote:
Just finished firing up the JVC. The ECO MODE was off so that was not the issue, unfortunately.

Use the NX9 device. It will set everything up for you perfectly. I use the Harmony remote for my RS3000. At the time I set it up NX9 was the only device listed that matched. I used it and it works fine for all operations of new JVCs.
post #14575 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Liked: 3325
Quote:

The RS40 shuts down the same as the new projectors, with two clicks. Go into the Harmony settings and edit the activity's shutdown sequence to add a few ms of delay followed by a second shutdown signal. I know the Harmony software is kind of annoying to use, but the functionality is in there.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #14576 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 01:48 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1872
On the JVC units with Harmony activities there can be issues because (at least in previous generations) when the HDMI signal changes refresh rates etc or is removed the projector stops responding to IR for a while. (it also does this on the IP interface over the LAN connection) This can make it miss the first, last or both of the power off commands, hence not powering off as expected.

One solution is to ensure the projector is first thing to be turned off (the activity power off sequence can usually be controlled, at least in the Harmony desktop app). Another is to add delays and extra power off key presses for the projector.
post #14577 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:

For IP control there are 2 different off commands. One of them needs to be used twice and the other only once.

Not sure if you can program in custom IP control commands with your remote, but if you can then it can be turned off with 1 command.
post #14578 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCC View Post
and one more question. 16:9 1080P content will not fill a 16:9 screen with the NX5 or NX7 correct? If I am understanding correctly will have bars on all 4 sides? So what content will fill the 16:9 screen through these projectors. none?

Quote:
Yes, the JVC's fill the 16:9 screen when showing 16:9 content. The bars will be hitting on the frame and outward. Not on the screen fabric.

OK now you guys have got me confused. Running an NX7 onto a 119 inch, 16:9 screen.

When running 16:9 material like DirecTV, have image on the screen and I use the zoom function on the projector to zoom the image until the top and bottom of the image are at the screen edge, not onto the screen frame. At this point, I still have small black bars on both the right and left sides. I then use the zoom function on the projector to zoom a little more until the right and left sides of the image are now at the screen edge, not onto the screen frame. At this point the top and bottom of the image are spilling onto the black screen frame a small bit (maybe a couple inches total on the top and bottom?). The screen is filled but I am missing a little bit of the image on the top and bottom.

Am I supposed to be doing something else to fill the screen?
post #14579 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2636 Post(s)
Liked: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
And yet despite being perfect we're not overrun with them . I'm sure manufacturers are looking for commercial and technical advantages wherever they can find them (unless we've somehow found out about LEDs unavailable to PJ manufacturers...!), so I think it is safe to assume that there are probably lots of details we're missing as to why this isn't an obvious and easy jump.
How much does an OEM lamp cost these days?
post #14580 of 19319 Old 08-07-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
OK now you guys have got me confused. Running an NX7 onto a 119 inch, 16:9 screen.

When running 16:9 material like DirecTV, have image on the screen and I use the zoom function on the projector to zoom the image until the top and bottom of the image are at the screen edge, not onto the screen frame. At this point, I still have small black bars on both the right and left sides. I then use the zoom function on the projector to zoom a little more until the right and left sides of the image are now at the screen edge, not onto the screen frame. At this point the top and bottom of the image are spilling onto the black screen frame a small bit (maybe a couple inches total on the top and bottom?). The screen is filled but I am missing a little bit of the image on the top and bottom.

Am I supposed to be doing something else to fill the screen?
If your screen is actually 16:9 (58.34" x 103.72") and the content you are sending is actual 16:9 content, then it will fill your screen properly. It sounds to me like you are shooting 1.85 aspect ratio content onto your screen. That is why you have a few inches on each side. A lot of shows are 1.85 aspect ratio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page