Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12561Likes

post #1621 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highjinx View Post
Thanks Dj Dee. This is worthy of more investigation, how can code improve reflectivity or blocking of light from a physical surface.
One possibility is changing the parameters (timing, voltage) of how the panels are driven. Motion Enhance overdrives the panels and introduces halo/ringing artifacts, so tweaking the base setting for this could change some aspects of the image.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6577 Post(s)
Liked: 7604
Quote:
Originally Posted by console View Post
The only problem I am having with these new JVCs right now is the READ/WRITE ratio. I can’t read as fast as you guys write.
I make the mistake of actually sleeping - during which time 10 pages appears it would seem !
mnieto and Jim Cutter like this.
post #1623 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
projectors neither have a TV tuner or streaming apps so it makes ABSOLUTELY no sense for a projector like the JVC to have ARC.)

I never said it makes sense. I started out agreeing that it doesn’t make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alebonau and Mike Garrett like this.

Steve Goff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1624 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Well after testing the RS4500 in my house for a night, including its dynamic dimming, I have upgraded my RS3000 preorder to an RS4500 which I guess will ship right away. So there should be one more RS3000 available for someone
It's funny how the introduction of the new projector lineup is boosting sales of the RS4500.

Bruce K.
post #1625 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Does anyone enjoy watching movies on the projectors any more?

JVC has had this blooming for years and years.

Take your currently JVC shrink the image down to 50” or so and you see all the light engine problems. But blow it up to real sizes and with real content, you wont see a thing other that the beautiful picture the projectors throw!

Just an FYi

Im still waiting for my JVC NX7 but I for sure wont be worked up over the issues JVC has had for many generations.
I've been stunned by the performance gain moving from an X750 to an NX7. I really wasn't expecting it.

You're going to love the NX7.

Nice Home Theatre build by the way.

Bruce K.
post #1626 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
You are not getting it. It would require an HDMI output, because an input returns input sent through it. Nothing would be coming through it to return. If the unit had ARC it would return the info on the HDMI cable that is feeding info to the projector.

I specified early on that it would require two cables. And I’ve agreed all along that having this capability and using it on a standard projector doesn’t make sense.

Steve Goff

Last edited by Steve Goff; 01-13-2019 at 10:11 AM.
post #1627 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 10:07 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6337 Post(s)
Liked: 6335
Quote:
I do, I do not look for problems, just show me a good picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameneeded View Post
Guess I'm officially part of the club. 😁
Wonder when we will have some US owners......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
I hadn't thought twice about my RS2000 pre-order until now. If the contrast numbers stand I am pretty sure that they will need to do a hardware change in the next 12-18 months which really will make the initial batch of projects lose a lot of value. HOWEVER the thing I have not heard yet is how does the RS2000 compare to the VW385 for contrast etc. Since the RS2000 is going to sell 10+ times as many as the 3000 this is real important to me and I bet most consumers here other than you guys in the industry. RC on the Sony is real nice but the color filter on the 2000 seems to be something better than that. It would be nice to see a comparison of what the two offer excluding contrast.
Arrow is supposed to do that comparison and more.....
post #1628 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisLJacob View Post
Man 'o Man am I in trouble. I'm reading all of these posts regarding settings on the Panny UB820 and output with this setting or that setting to input to the projector for this variable or that. How is a regular Joe (me) going to figure this stuff out????? I'm going to be up a creek without a paddle for sure.
Actually between guys like us that are not into doing Custom Calibrating is why (Some) of us go to the Professionals like Chad B out of Ohio.
He does travel all over the place though so I have no idea if he comes to where you are located.
Just contact the fellow that does his appointments on his website to find that out.
I can tell you for a fact and yes I did say for a fact not my (Opinion) Chad B does an excellent job and in my case it was truly a Night & Day difference.
Well worth the little-cost involved !!!

Click on link below to get to his Internet Site,
http://www.hdtvbychadb.com/home-1.html

Lastly, I highly recommend getting your system Professionally Custom Calibrated if you want it to perform to it's best.
If you like and if you are interested click on my signature as I talked about Chad B coming to my house last month with pictures.

Terry
FQs19 likes this.

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
post #1629 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:

JVC has had this blooming for years and years.

Take your currently JVC shrink the image down to 50” or so and you see all the light engine problems. But blow it up to real sizes and with real content, you wont see a thing other that the beautiful picture the projectors throw!

Just an FYi

Im still waiting for my JVC NX7 but I for sure wont be worked up over the issues JVC has had for many generations.
Me - 2 to 5 a week! I've given up watching test patterns on my RS4500 - they're all re-runs ! In fact, here are two I'm watching with friends this week -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49854797_10218111611242829_3621570720963756032_n.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	2510236   Click image for larger version

Name:	50072489_10218111566481710_786960608468664320_n.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	2510238  
post #1630 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog
Have there been any changes to JVC's Autocal program (software previously used for my RS500) for the Spyder 5 since the update of 5/2016? Is that the version to be used for the NX5/7/9 series or is there another version that I'm unable to find by Google? If so, a link would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

The new Autocal software for these new models is V11.

Although it looks similar, there are some significant differences that I've started to explain in the new thread that I've started to discuss exclusively these new models and Autocal V11.

Some of the most important ones: no differences between CMD / no CMD calibrations, you can now copy a gamma calibration to all the other gamma calibrations, support for i1pro2 (for those coming from V6/V7 as I do) and a few more.

Please google "JVC Autocal software V11" to find it as I can't post a link to it here.

It's a bit of a placeholder for now, but as soon as I receive my N7/RS2000, hopefully in the next few weeks when they ship, I plan to post a lot of info there.
Thanks! I've successfully found that thread in an outside forum and will try to keep up with and assimilate your (always solid) advice.
post #1631 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11705 Post(s)
Liked: 9252
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer View Post
Yes this is true.
There is may be not any 100% perfect pr. out yet that money can buy.

May the next best will be in April 2019 when Christie comes with their insane expensive infinity cr. pr. to the market.
But even then there was a question if this pr. is stable or need a lot more maintenance than other pr. to keep for sample the good convergence.

Today’s best pr. money can buy is in my opinion the Barco Thor a true 6P laser DLP.
Yes it was above 100K but it has the best image I have seen from a buyable Pr. so far.

It is also not perfect as black is not super goodbut the 6300:1 on off cr. in combination with the 1000:1 ansi cr. show a wonderful picture as all other picture parameter are state of the art.
Please see here a picture of some test patter that speak for itself and show what it is possible.
Please note that the screen is a fabric V6 screen.
The other picture show the screen structure with the holes in it.
The Christie pr. will have likely the same good picture it will just add the infinity black that is an important feature no question.

But on the other hand I and some visitor was shocked when we did last summer a shootout between this Barco Laser and a Sony good 760.

Beside the lumen and brightness where of course the Barco with over 15.000 lumen win it was really amazing how the Sony 760 perform against the Barco Thor!

So it will be very interesting to made this shootout again with a JVC X9!!!

May Nigel you should come over to Munich to visit me together with a good X9?
One post I found very promising was Lygren saying Blade Runner 2049 HDR looked better on his large V6 screen with the NX7 than it did with his VW5000.
post #1632 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer View Post
Good picture that can explain what likely cause this issue.

When you look close to the picture I modify you can see that there is a reflection to the left.

But what is more worry is the 2. reflection to the the right down.
This reflection is half down and half to the right and so far I understand how e shift work this is it.

So I almost sure that bug coming from e shift!

So far I understand this was also there when the e shift is switch off?
If this is the case WOW JVC listen and remove the e shift as soon as possible otherwise a lot of people include me will not buy the X9.
Or bring the 8k e shift to a quality level that not show so much negative things.
But better remove it as soon as possible.

As I had post already it creates only problems not any single advantage!
The more people will tell JVC that we do not like it the better it is.
But in the end only less sale will convince them.
I really doubt the ghosting and blooming has anything to do with eshift.

First eshift when operating only shifts at most 1/2 of a single 4k pixel up and over. The ghost is shifted 1/2 an image down and over which is a shift of multiple pixels. Hard to see how this has anything to do with eshift. Most likely this is just the normal internal reflections that you get with any optical system.

Just to be clear, even the 885 and 995 Sony's have internal reflections and ghosts. In fact almost every 885 has large blue streaks on white objects on black backgrounds. My Sony 385 also has blue streaks on white objects with black backgrounds.

Honestly if you pixel peep you will always see these kind of defects. But never are these defects visible in any movie content from normal seated position.

I think people are getting a little nervous and making mountains out of mole hills. Arrow's NX9 may have a few issues but none of them are showstoppers and some of them may even improve with future firmware updates.
post #1633 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJK View Post
It's funny how the introduction of the new projector lineup is boosting sales of the RS4500.
I have found the opposite.
tommarra and Dandlj like this.
post #1634 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 337
So have NX7 started shipping to customers in the US?

My dealer says ETA for my NX7 is Jan 16 - but it's a best buy type store so never trust their dates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gear: Fronts: B&W 803D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W DM601S3 | Heights: Definitive Techonlogy ProCinema 1000 | Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #1635 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 2179 Post(s)
Liked: 2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Goff View Post
Nope. It would require a second HDMI INPUT on the projector with ARC capability. Starting with HDMI 1.4 an HDMI INPUT on a display device can send audio back to the AVR. Audio can travel both ways, upstream and downstream. That’s why it’s called ARC. It’s an audio return channel. Using a single HDMI cable you can send audio and video in one direction and audio in the opposite direction.

This is how flat panel TVs send audio from the TV tuner or internal streaming apps back to a receiver or sound bar. The receiver can send audio and video to the TV HDMI input, say from a Blu-ray player. But using the same ARC-enabled input the TV can send audio the opposite way to the receiver. Look at the back of your receiver and you’ll see that one of the HDMI outputs is labeled ARC. Look at the HDMI INPUTS of any modern smart TV and you’ll see an INPUT labeled ARC. That input can accept video and audio, but it can also send audio back the other way. This simplifies things greatly. And with eARC full lossless audio can be sent from the display device to the Receiver or sound bar.

Quote:
You are not getting it. It would require an HDMI output, because an input returns input sent through it. Nothing would be coming through it to return. If the unit had ARC it would return the info on the HDMI cable that is feeding info to the projector.
The ARC port on an AVR is an HDMI output port. The ARC port on a display device is an HDMI input port.

ARC audio return channel uses the same wires in the HDMI cable that can be used for ethernet.

Typical ARC use is sending audio from a TV's internal tuner or from TV internal Apps such as Netflix.

TV App audio > TV ARC HDMI input port > AVR ARC HDMI output port. Select TV Audio input on AVR to pass the ARC audio to speakers.

Some TV's support pass through audio over ARC. Input from a streaming stick or media player to a TV non-ARC HDMI input can be processed in the TV and the audio sent to the TV ARC HDMI input port instead of to TV internal speakers. Since ARC is currently limited in bandwidth the TV would need to down scale HD audio to either stereo, 5.1, or DD+ before sending via ARC. Most restrict this to stereo audio.

Roku Stick > TV non-ARC HDMI input port > TV > TV ARC HDMI input port > AVR ARC HDMI output port.

This would be the case with projectors if they included audio processing capability and the ability to send the audio over ARC. At least one non-ARC HDMI input port to connect a player to, and one ARC HDMI input port to send ARC audio to an AVR. It is extremely unlikely that JVC projectors would add this capability even when e-ARC arrives. It would add additional cost to be able to process the audio portion and send it out via ARC, including DTS and/or Dolby royalties. Not going to happen.

I actually run two HDMI cables from my Denon to my LG OLED. I can't use a single cable from the AVR ARC port to the LG because I have an HDfury device in between. ARC audio cannot be passed through a man-in-the-middle device. So I have a non-ARC HDMI cable connection for playback from players connected to my AVR that passes through the HDfury device, and an ARC cable connection for getting TV App audio back to my AVR. This is possible with Denon AVRs since they have two full-time HDMI outputs; one ARC and one not.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Vertex/Linker/Integral

Last edited by claw; 01-13-2019 at 11:08 AM.
post #1636 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
I really doubt the ghosting and blooming has anything to do with eshift.

First eshift when operating only shifts at most 1/2 of a single 4k pixel up and over. The ghost is shifted 1/2 an image down and over which is a shift of multiple pixels. Hard to see how this has anything to do with eshift. Most likely this is just the normal internal reflections that you get with any optical system.

Just to be clear, even the 885 and 995 Sony's have internal reflections and ghosts. In fact almost every 885 has large blue streaks on white objects on black backgrounds. My Sony 385 also has blue streaks on white objects with black backgrounds.

Honestly if you pixel peep you will always see these kind of defects. But never are these defects visible in any movie content from normal seated position.

I think people are getting a little nervous and making mountains out of mole hills. Arrow's NX9 may have a few issues but none of them are showstoppers and some of them may even improve with future firmware updates.
Bingo ! These are going to be great projectors.
post #1637 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
The RS4500 is a great projector. It boosts it's own sales. It doesn't need any help ! And I'm not selling mine.
tigerhonaker and Reddig like this.
post #1638 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
I've been stunned by the performance gain moving from an X750 to an NX7. I really wasn't expecting it.

Bruce, please tell us more...which areas are you seeing it?
post #1639 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Valid concerns. But I assure you that these concerns apply to every projector - including the $35K Sony VW995ES. I'm guessing though that 99% of projectors ( from all brands ) pretty much meet the specifications.
Thanks for the reply, Craig.

I hope that you're right, and to some degree I suspect that you are.

It just seems unfortunate that the first NX9 that we have any objective data on doesn't seem to be in that 99%. I wonder if JVC knew *who* that unit was going to - perhaps they should have been more selective!

I certainly haven't changed my mind about wanting the NX9, and am patiently (alright, not so patiently!) waiting to see what we learn about what we might expect of a "typical" NX9 as more units get into the hands of more AVS members (and reviewers).

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #1640 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked: 6254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Dee View Post
I will have a look on a N7 soon.
Let you guys know instantly.
If am lucky, I might take some measurements of the same taken on the NX9.
But I am still sick and going on antibiotic, so if anyone else can do this quick do so

If anyone need the patterns they are all here.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Couple of things here...

Firstly, here's how to measure ANSI contrast correctly:

(1) You use the singular test pattern that I have attached to this post, which is the official correct ANSI contrast test pattern (NOT the patterns @Dj Dee has attached to his post); which comprises at total of 16 equal size and dimensions black and white rectangles, 8 black and 8 white;

(2) You need to exclude the room, hence measure off the lens, not the screen;

(3) You also need to ensure that the meter is positioned the same distance away from the projector for each and every measurement (I use a laser measurer for this); and that the meter is positioned within the very centre of the rectangles;

(4) You measure what is the luminance for each of the 8 white squares, then divide this by 8 to yield the average; then you do the same for the 8 black squares; then divide the average white level by the average black level, which equals the ANSI contrast ratio.

There are other alternative methods, such as developed by Greg Rogers, which involves using the inverse of the ANSI test pattern as well, wherein you measure the ON/OFF contrast for each of the 4 central squares, then calculate the average. This is named 'GR ANSI'.

The test patterns attached to @Dj Dee 's post are for taking an approximation by measuring the ON/OFF of the centre rectangle only.

If measuring other than the correct and proper method of measuring ANSI then this should NOT be referred to as being the ANSI contrast, but label it according to whatever alternative method you are using, such as 'GR ANSI'.

We need to be ensuring that our measurements are apples-with-apples or else the data cannot be compared. Wherein, just to be clear, my ANSI measurements are the proper ANSI contrast

Secondly, if anyone is intending on taking native ADL contrast measurements, using the black and white test patterns, what you need to do is to measure off the lens, and position your meter (on a tripod) such that it is accurately facing and pointing at the lens (I use the laser sighting on my Klein K-10A for this) but very slightly angled so as to avoid reflecting back into the projector lens; as well as filling the centre white square on the 'number1' ADL contrast test patterns, filling the square fully but not more or less. Then you go through all the patterns without touching your meter, and for each ADL point measure the luminance for both 'number1' and the corresponding 'number2' test pattern and divide these to yield the native ADL contrast at that particular point, then move onto the next. I thought it might be useful to explain this

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ANSI.png
Views:	43
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2510252  

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 01-13-2019 at 11:08 AM.
post #1641 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:

will I need to throw on some depends going from RS 25
Craig Peer and Reddig like this.

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
post #1642 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
One post I found very promising was Lygren saying Blade Runner 2049 HDR looked better on his large V6 screen with the NX7 than it did with his VW5000.
I think I know the VW5000 better than most other as I got this projector 2 month before it was hit the market and I got serial number 1.
Some people from Industrie know what this means.
If you like to read here was a big thread about the 5000 see here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ul...projector.html
WOW almost 3 years ago… time is running….

It is possible as the 5000 had about 13.000:1 cr. and i guess the NX7 will have been about double than this.
Remember the 5000 had about 4500 lumen and it was the first 4k laser phosphor pr.
If Lygren get a good optic in his NX7 and his screen size is not very large yes this can be the case.
The 5000 development is over 3 years old.

BTW some ask in this tread about a good UHD Disc.
Try Mama Mia 2 very good picture quality super color and nice HDR Effects.
Reddig and Lygren like this.
post #1643 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

UPDATE

OK folks, this will be the final update before I have to take a timeout for a couple of days, by which time I will have my professional photography equipment fully operational again and will be able to take some decent photos to demonstrate some of what I am about to say...

So, having done some further evaluating, salient points as per follows:

QUICK BROWN FOX:

• It is important to note both that this test pattern is the ultimate torture test for projectors and that we are deep diving here and employing microscopic scrutiny at the pixel level. Minor imperfections will almost certainly be imperceptible when it comes to actual video content. Therefore, it is very important not to take minor imperfections with greater weight nor make a ‘bigger deal’ of them than is appropriate.

The fact of the matter is that NO projector will perform 100% perfectly with this test pattern and there is only one projector so far to date that achieves near perfection and that is the Christie ‘Ultimate’ projector. Wherein, the JVC RS3000/NX9 produces performance with respect to the quick brown fox test pattern that is very good indeed and superior as compared with many other projectors.

• The 'Fat Line' phenomenon that affects only the RED, BLUE, and MAGENTA vertical lines is in reality not as severe as is indicated in the photos that I previously posted due to poor photographic accuracy due to my professional camera developing a fault and having to resort to using my crappy backup camera. I will have my professional photography equipment fully operational again day after tomorrow, so will take some proper photos that will show you what this really looks like.

• Interestingly the 'Fat Line' phenomenon is 100% cured by enabling LOW LATENCY. However, like I have said, it’s not actually as bad as it appears to be in the photos.

E-SHIFT 8K:

• eShift 8K reduces MTF and sharpness whilst potentially increasing noise and producing artefacts, and does nothing to enhance the image in a positive way. As such, I strongly recommend turning it off

CONTRAST:

• My UNIT #1 measures contrast performance that is essentially identical as compared with a SEPTEMBER 2018 build PRE-PRODUCTION unit

• My UNIT #1 is measuring circa 18% BELOW JVC's specification regarding ON/OFF contrast performance; and circa 40% BELOW what is statistically the corresponding mean for the pre-existing eShift range for ANSI. @Dj Dee 's unit is measuring circa 26% ABOVE spec for ON/OFF and 14% BELOW for ANSI.

• We need more data points in order to obtain an understanding regarding what is typical. I myself will be measuring a further 4 units.

BUILD DATES:

• My UNIT #1 = OCTOBER 2018 build --> SERIAL #: 153400xx

@Dj Dee 's unit is also OCTOBER 2018 build

MISCELLANEOUS:

• My UNIT #1 has some slight video noise, however the magnitude is less than the pre-existing eShift projector range and is invisible from the seating position. As such, I consider it to be a non-issue

• My UNIT #1 has slight bright corners, however, I am really only able to notice this with full field black, so again this is a non-issue

SUMMARY:

I feel the need to reiterate that when deep diving and employing microscopic scrutiny to evaluate a projector to find out what issues and imperfections exist, it is important to view said imperfections with the correct and proper perspective and not infer from them that they are a greater problem than they actually are.

Wherein, from what I have seen and experienced so far, the JVC RS3000/NX9 really is a superb looking projector.

Sure, it is not perfect, however, all projectors have imperfections and/or performance issues. Wherein, so far, despite the blooming and clouding that is reducing contrast somewhat, any and all other imperfections are completely invisible from the seating position and the projected image quality is nothing short of stunning nonetheless.

Personally, I do not think that this unit is defective, because I now know of numerous pre-production units that measure and behave similarly. What will be interesting will be to see how the further 4 additional units, being newer builds, compare

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 01-13-2019 at 12:30 PM.
post #1644 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
UPDATE

OK folks, this will be the final update before I have to take a timeout for a couple of days, by which time I will have my professional photography equipment fully operational again and will be able to take some decent photos to demonstrate some of what I am about to say...

So, having done some further evaluating, salient points as per follows:

QUICK BROWN FOX:

• It is important to note both that this test pattern is the ultimate torture test for projectors and that we are deep diving here and employing microscopic scrutiny at the pixel level. Minor imperfections will almost certainly be imperceptible when it comes to actual video content. Therefore, it is very important not to take minor imperfections with greater weight and/or make a ‘bigger deal’ of them than is appropriate.

The fact of the matter is that NO projector will perform 100% perfectly with this test pattern and there is only one projector so far to date that achieves near perfection and that is the Christie ‘Ultimate’ projector. Wherein, the JVC RS3000/NX9 produces performance with respect to the quick brown fox test pattern that is very good indeed and superior as compared with many other projectors.

• The 'Fat Line' phenomenon that affects only the RED, BLUE, and MAGENTA vertical lines is in reality not as severe as is indicated in the photos that I previously posted due to poor photographic accuracy due to my professional camera developing a fault and having to resort to using my crappy backup camera. I will have my professional photography equipment fully operational again day after tomorrow, so will take some proper photos that will show you what this really looks like.

• Interestingly the 'Fat Line' phenomenon is 100% cured by enabling LOW LATENCY. However, like I have said, it’s not actually as bad as it appears to be in the photos.

E-SHIFT 8K:

• eShift 8K reduces MTF and sharpness whilst potentially increasing noise and producing artefacts, and does nothing to enhance the image in a positive way. As such, I strongly recommend turning it off

CONTRAST:

• My UNIT #1 measures contrast performance that is essentially identical as compared with a SEPTEMBER 2018 build PRE-PRODUCTION unit

• My UNIT #1 is measuring circa 18% BELOW JVC's specification regarding ON/OFF contrast performance; and circa 40% BELOW what is statistically the corresponding mean for the pre-existing eShift range for ANSI. @Dj Dee 's unit is measuring circa 26% ABOVE spec for ON/OFF and 14% BELOW for ANSI.

• We need more data points in order to obtain an understanding regarding what is typical. I myself will be measuring a further 4 units.

BUILD DATES:

• My UNIT #1 = OCTOBER 2018 build --> SERIAL #: 153400xx

@Dj Dee 's unit is also OCTOBER 2018 build

MISCELLANEOUS:

• My UNIT #1 has some slight video noise, however the magnitude is less than the pre-existing eShift projector range and is invisible from the seating position. As such, I consider it to be a non-issue

• My UNIT #1 has slight bright corners, however, I am really only able to notice this with full field black

SUMMARY:

I feel the need to reiterate that when deep diving and employing microscopic scrutiny to evaluate a projector to find out what issues and imperfections exist, it is important to view said imperfections with the correct and proper perspective and not infer from them that they are a greater problem than they actually are.

Wherein, from what I have seen and experienced so far, the JVC RS3000/NX9 really is a superb looking projector.

Sure, it is not perfect, however, all projectors has imperfections and/or performance issues. Wherein, so far, despite the blooming and clouding that is reducing contrast somewhat, any and all other imperfections are completely invisible from the seating position and the projected image quality is nothing short of stunning nonetheless.

Personally, I do not think that this unit is defective, because I know of numerous pre-production units that measure and behave similarly. What will be interesting will be to see how the further 4 additional units, being newer builds, compare

Thanks Arrow, enjoy your couple days of rest =) Are there any negatives to using the low latency mode? Does it defeat anything on the projector?
post #1645 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Couple of things here...

Firstly, here's how to measure ANSI contrast correctly:

(1) You use the singular test pattern that I have attached to this post, which is the official correct ANSI contrast test pattern (NOT the patterns @Dj Dee has attached to his post); which comprises at total of 16 equal size and dimensions black and white rectangles, 8 black and 8 white;

(2) You need to exclude the room, hence measure off the lens, not the screen;

(3) You also need to ensure that the meter is positioned the same distance away from the projector for each and every measurement (I use a laser measurer for this); and that the meter is positioned within the very centre of the rectangles;

(4) You measure what is the luminance for each of the 8 white squares, then divide this by 8 to yield the average; then you do the same for the 8 black squares; then divide the average white level by the average black level, which equals the ANSI contrast ratio.

There are other alternative methods, such as developed by Greg Rogers, which involves using the inverse of the ANSI test pattern as well, wherein you measure the ON/OFF contrast for each of the 4 central squares, then calculate the average. This is named 'GR ANSI'.

The test patterns attached to @Dj Dee 's post are for taking an approximation by measuring the ON/OFF of the centre rectangle only.

If measuring other than the correct and proper method of measuring ANSI then this should NOT be referred to as being the ANSI contrast, but label it according to whatever alternative method you are using, such as 'GR ANSI'.

We need to be ensuring that our measurements are apples-with-apples or else the data cannot be compared. Wherein, just to be clear, my ANSI measurements are the proper ANSI contrast

Secondly, if anyone is intending on taking native ADL contrast measurements, using the black and white test patterns, what you need to do is to measure off the lens, and position your meter (on a tripod) such that it is accurately facing and pointing at the lens (I use the laser sighting on my Klein K-10A for this) but very slightly angled so as to avoid reflecting back into the projector lens; as well as filling the centre white square on the 'number1' ADL contrast test patterns, filling the square fully but not more or less. Then you go through all the patterns without touching your meter, and for each ADL point measure the luminance for both 'number1' and the corresponding 'number2' test pattern and divide these to yield the native ADL contrast at that particular point, then move onto the next. I thought it might be useful to explain this

Have a question. If doing the quick method, measuring just a few squares, could you use lens shift to position each square for the meter, rather than moving the meter each time?
ARROW-AV likes this.
post #1646 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
will I need to throw on some depends going from RS 25
Better double up on them. Huge difference.
GPBURNS likes this.
post #1647 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Quote:
Have a question. If doing the quick method, measuring just a few squares, could you use lens shift to position each square for the meter, rather than moving the meter each time?
Considering this method is providing an approximation, yes you can use lens shift to position each square for the meter, rather than moving the meter each time

post #1648 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 11:55 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2274 Post(s)
Liked: 1423
Quote:

As much as I love the blood and guts deep dive, I find these comments almost as interesting, though it is always hard to know the context.
In the case of the X750, did you have the gamma droop fixed via calibration, and do you target a specific light level?

I've often wondered if the most instant "hit" folk get with a new JVC is the gamma being in a much better state out of the box than the unit they're replacing, along with the lamp just being much brighter. I guess there are many more tangible differences now the units have been wholesale replaced; I think this was particularly so on the previous series units where really quite little would change between model years.
Gary Lightfoot and Bytehoven like this.
post #1649 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Bruce, please tell us more...which areas are you seeing it?
I originally decided to upgrade from the X750 to the NX7 for the 4K HDR benefits alone. This was due to the major headline changes of native 4K resolution and the auto tone mapping for HDR. I used custom curves on the X750 (3 curves for Dolby Cinema emulation) but felt that this could be better. Because the Apple TV 4K is my primary source the Panasonic 820 doesn't help me.

I assumed that the best I could do for 1080P SDR on the NX7 was to equal the X750 and I actually expected the NX7 to lag behind a bit because of the lower rated on/off contrast.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The NX7 improves on the X750 in every way and the difference is clearly visible in everyday viewing. I'm not talking about pixel peeping at close distances but actually using it like a normal customer would. The new chassis must contain a lot of internal improvements over the previous lineup. Some of these may be small, subtle improvements but they all add up and the end result makes for amazing viewing.

Basically the image looks like a giant 110 inch 21:9 OLED all the time. I haven't seen a single flaw to mar the picture when viewing from 2X screen height which is really close. Nothing distracts you from the viewing experience.

1. The image is calm, crisp, and incredibly detailed.
2. No lamp flicker or video noise.
3. There is no streaking or ghosting visible on real world content from a normal viewing distance. Much better than my X750.
4. Overall contrast performance matches the X750.
5. Superb convergence even at 4K resolution.
6. No stuck pixels detected (out of 24 million!).
7. Motion is much better. I don't use CMD but even straight 24p telecine motion is noticeably cleaner.
8. The auto tone mapping for HDR is excellent. It's just plug and play assuming the metadata is decent and easy to adjust manually if its not.
9. The HDMI handshake is nearly twice as fast as the X750 and rock solid. I haven't had a single glitch or dropout on any source.
10. Build quality is high. Fit and finish is excellent though I do miss the high gloss black.
Spizz, smitty, seanbryan and 25 others like this.

Bruce K.
post #1650 of 13168 Old 01-13-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
As much as I love the blood and guts deep dive, I find these comments almost as interesting, though it is always hard to know the context.
In the case of the X750, did you have the gamma droop fixed via calibration, and do you target a specific light level?

I've often wondered if the most instant "hit" folk get with a new JVC is the gamma being in a much better state out of the box than the unit they're replacing, along with the lamp just being much brighter. I guess there are many more tangible differences now the units have been wholesale replaced; I think this was particularly so on the previous series units where really quite little would change between model years.
Yes, I ran autocal to fix the gamma droop on the X750 pretty regularly. The light level was set at 108 nits HDR and 60 nits SDR measured off the screen. Towards the end the light level on HDR did top out at 100 nits though. It was getting to be time for a new lamp.

I wasn't expecting to be as impressed as I have been with the NX7. Sometimes life's surprises are pleasant ones.

Bruce K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page