Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 552 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16748Likes

post #16531 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4884 Post(s)
Liked: 1849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
500hrs - wow. Is that mainly because things will continue to shift up until then? I mean, does it hurt anything if I was to do an autocal just to enjoy those 500 hrs with roughly improved gamma, etc?
Also, I had heard it's ok to do a picture calibration (I use i1d3 and HCFR) after 150-200hrs. So does this mean I should still do calibration, but not do an autocal until 500 hrs at which time I'd do autocal first and then fine tune it with the HCFR+i1d3 (my usual calibration approach).
If you're doing your own calibration (whether JVC Autocal or CalMAN), there really isn't any issue doing it sooner, as long as you warm up the projector for at least an hour prior to calibration. Things may change after a few hundred hours, but you can simply monitor it and redo calibration when needed.
rjmcinnis and atabea like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16532 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
2. Aligning to screen: It lined up very closely to my screen once mounted. left it where my old x970R had it and it stayed mostly the same. I did note that the bottom of the image was a tiny bit wider than the top overall. Were talking maybe an inch at most.
My NX5 (purchased a few weeks ago) has the same problem. After going back and forth with JVC (via the dealer), JVC is going to replace my projector. Another problem I had; I have a ceiling mount, with image shifted down into place. When using the focus, when near the focus point, the whole image would jump and twist a bit, which made it very difficult to focus. Oddly, all the questions and suggestions from JVC were about the first issue, not the second. But whatever, I am happy JVC is going to replace it with minimal hassle. :-)
post #16533 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2059 Post(s)
Liked: 2270
So I just sold the Sony 695 (had the 685 before that) and bought a JVC RS 2000. I have watched two UHD movies, watched a couple of college football games and played several hours of XBOX on X 4k games (Gears 5). All of this is to my eye and none of it is measured with equipment. My room is pitch black (you can see it in the link to my signature). So this is almost more of a comparison than it is a straight review:

1) Sharpness - the number one thing the JVC improves upon over the Sony is the lens. To me it is clearly superior in how sharp it is overall and how sharp it stays from corner to corner.

2)black floor -I was expecting an improvement in black floor (lower black floor with JVC) and really seems super close to me.

3)contrast - again I was expecting a jump and did see one but nothing night and day at all. Its there, buts is a maybe a 5 to 10% increase.

4)gaming latency - I was expecting to say the Sony reduced gaming lag was a clear winner but once I put the JVC in low latency mode, it seemed dead even to me on first person shooters.

5)Sony RC - i was expecting the Sony Reality Creation to really be a standout but with the sharpness of the JVC lens, I don't really miss it.

6)design - while not super important, the JVC does look better as a chassis.

7)remote - the JVC remote is ok but its hard for me to get quickly to functions I like. The sony was slightly better but not much.

8)picture modes - The sony let you switch HDR and SDR content within one picture setting. With the JVC you have to assign different picture modes for each type of picture so I have one for HDR gaming (with low latency on), one with HDR movies (with low latency off) and one for SDR content for regular tv. I wish you could just have one mode where if you toggle between SDR and HDR content it just let you use the same picture mode and automatically engage the HDR settings if it detects and HDR source.

9)heat - the JVC pumps out a lot of heat. I put my hand in front of the projector on high mode and was a little shocked how much hot air was being blown out.

10) DI pumping - not sure if that is what it was but I have seen it mentioned on here before. I was watching Dunkirk in 4k and the picture was stunning but on certain scenes I saw the image look like it was pulsing. Not sure if that is the DI pumping I have read about or something else but it was slightly distracting.

11)Bright corners - the Sony had very slight bright corners but with the JVC it is more pronounced when watching an all black field (such as at boot up time). Can't see it on real world content (at least not that I have noticed so far).

12)motion - The Sony had great motion and was expecting a step back with the JVC but the JVC held its own. I didn't really notice any difference.

Overall, the JVC at its best is slightly better than the Sony at its best in my opinion. To me, its mostly due to a better lens and a little due to the improved contrast. They are much closer in overall picture quality than they are apart.
Spizz, Toe, Bytehoven and 6 others like this.

Last edited by Frohlich; 09-22-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16534 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 2289
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjones View Post
My wife and I are Downton Abbey fans, so yesterday we went to a local, mall type theater to watch the new Downton movie. After seemingly endless commercials, previews, etc. the movie began. Throughout the whole movie I wished I was watching it at home on my RS3000. The picture was quite dim and the colors were muted. The only thing better than my HT was the sound, but not by much. Can't wait for this movie to come out on BluRay or UHD so we can have a better experience with it at home!
It was the EXACT same at my local theater. I was thinking that they really needed a bulb replacement (looked like the image on screen was maybe 6 FtL). I enjoyed the movie though despite the poor video quality...Maggie Smith was a hoot.
Ralph Potts likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #16535 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
If you're doing your own calibration (whether JVC Autocal or CalMAN), there really isn't any issue doing it sooner, as long as you warm up the projector for at least an hour prior to calibration. Things may change after a few hundred hours, but you can simply monitor it and redo calibration when needed.
So better do it after the show, all those valuable lamp hours wasted otherwise .....
post #16536 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbstoller View Post
My NX5 (purchased a few weeks ago) has the same problem. After going back and forth with JVC (via the dealer), JVC is going to replace my projector. Another problem I had; I have a ceiling mount, with image shifted down into place. When using the focus, when near the focus point, the whole image would jump and twist a bit, which made it very difficult to focus. Oddly, all the questions and suggestions from JVC were about the first issue, not the second. But whatever, I am happy JVC is going to replace it with minimal hassle. :-)
If the bottom of the image is wider than the top, it’s definitely an alignment (installation) issue, not an issue with the projector.
Kris Deering and markmon1 like this.
post #16537 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
If the bottom of the image is wider than the top, it’s definitely an alignment (installation) issue, not an issue with the projector.
I will be sure to tell JVC that. :-)
post #16538 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Quoted: 4005 Post(s)
Liked: 6973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
So I just sold the Sony 695 (had the 685 before that) and bought a JVC RS 2000. I have watched two UHD movies, watched a couple of college football games and played several hours of XBOX on X 4k games (Gears 5). All of this is to my eye and none of it is measured with equipment. My room is pitch black (you can see it in the link to my signature). So this is almost more of a comparison than it is a straight review:

1) Sharpness - the number one thing the JVC improves upon over the Sony is the lens. To me it is clearly superior in how sharp it is overall and how sharp it stays from corner to corner.

2)black floor -I was expecting an improvement in black floor (lower black floor with JVC) and really seems super close to me.

3)contrast - again I was expecting a jump and did see one but nothing night and day at all. Its there, buts is a maybe a 5 to 10% increase.

4)gaming latency - I was expecting to say the Sony reduced gaming lag was a clear winner but once I put the JVC in low latency mode, it seemed dead even to me on first person shooters.

5)Sony RC - i was expecting the Sony Reality Creation to really be a standout but with the sharpness of the JVC lens, I don't really miss it.

7)remote - the JVC remote is ok but its hard for me to get quickly to functions I like. The sony was slightly better but not much.

8)picture modes - The sony let you switch HDR and SDR content within one picture setting. With the JVC you have to assign different picture modes for each type of picture so I have one for HDR gaming (with low latency on), one with HDR movies (with low latency off) and one for SDR content for regular tv. I wish you could just have one mode where if you toggle between SDR and HDR content it just let you use the same picture mode and automatically engage the HDR settings if it detects and HDR source.

9)heat - the JVC pumps out a lot of heat. I put my hand in front of the projector on high mode and was a little shocked how much hot air was being blown out.

10) DI pumping - not sure if that is what it was but I have seen it mentioned on here before. I was watching Dunkirk in 4k and the picture was stunning but on certain scenes I saw the image look like it was pulsing. Not sure if that is the DI pumping I have read about or something else but it was slightly distracting.

11)Bright corners - the Sony had very slight bright corners but with the JVC it is more pronounced when watching an all black field (such as at boot up time). Can't see it on real world content (at least not that I have noticed so far).

12)motion - The Sony had great motion and was expecting a step back with the JVC but the JVC held its own. I didn't really notice any difference.

Overall, the JVC at its best is slightly better than the Sony at its best in my opinion. To me, its mostly due to a better lens and a little due to the improved contrast. They are much closer in overall picture quality than they are apart.
Great rundown!

Couple notes: For the HDR/SDR modes, the Sony uses the same picture mode with the only change (currently) being the HDR Contrast setting. This is a bad idea as there are other changes that needed to be made for the Sony (light output/brightness setting). With the JVC you can have properly setup picture modes for each type of source input and if you want the JVC will switch between the two automatically.

With Dunkirk there is slight pulsation in the image from the film used (a great example is right in the beginning when the main character runs down the road and stops at the opening of the beach, when the camera is on him looking around you see a slight amount of pulsing from the camera/film stock). This manifests in a couple other sequences if you look for it. So there is a chance you were seeing the intended film contribution.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #16539 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked: 1234
Quote:

Frohlich, I noticed a fairly dramatic increase in black floor and contrast with the JVC. You might need to check your brightness setting. When I calibrate mine on the RS3000, I have owned several, they all required anywhere from a setting of -3 to -5. Also set your manual iris properly so that your light level is around 16 - 20 fl for SDR. You will find that the manual iris needs to be set anywhere from -8 to -12. The set the DI to auto 2. You should see some pretty dark black floors with very good contrast.

I am also using the color filter for both SDR and HDR. I think it improves color volume and saturation. I use THX for SDR and BT2020 for HDR. However, only the RS3000 has THX mode. I think Cinema is near the equivalent for the RS2000.

Your projector should be automatically detecting HDR signals and switching to whatever HDR mode you want automatically. You need to go into the menu and there is a section where you can tell the projector which mode you want to use for HDR content. Then when it detects HDR input it will switch to that mode automatically. So I only have two profiles, one for SDR and one for HDR. I leave the projector in the SDR mode all the time and it automatically selects the proper HDR mode when I have an incoming HDR signal.

Also give the JVC a 100 hours or so to break in. It seems to me that mine have all improved after a break in period.
Frohlich and rjmcinnis like this.
post #16540 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 12543 Post(s)
Liked: 10160
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

#8 , You do not have to use memories for switching from HDR to SDR. Set up SDR how you want it, as in manual iris setting and dynamic iris setting. Then put in an HDR movie. Projector will automaticlly go to HDR mode. Make and wanted changes while you have HDR content playing. Now whenever you play an SDR movie, it will go to your SDR settings and when playing an HDR movie, it will go to your HDR setting, without you doing anything. Only thing you will have to do is turn low lag on or off as wanted. Or you can save three different user settings (which is what you are doing) and label them SDR, HDR movies and HDR games.

#9 The Sony uses a higher wattage lamp, 280 vs 265 for the JVC. I bet the Sony actually puts out more heat. But the JVC may put more of it out of one vent, so feels like it is hotter.

#10 JVC's dynamic iris is more aggressive than the Sony, so it will have more artifacts. Use mode 1 for less aggressive dimming, if you want fewer artifacts. Mode 1 is still more aggressive than Sony. I just saw Kris's comment. Sounds like it was an intended effect of the source.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 09-22-2019 at 12:33 PM.
post #16541 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I will be sure to tell JVC that. :-)
JVC may not have talked much about it, but the focus jumping issue when making adjustment is probably why it is getting switched, because it certainly is not for the image being wider at the bottom, than the top. That is just someone not know what they are doing, when setting up the projector.
Manni01 and Dominic Chan like this.
post #16542 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I don't know why anyone would be surprised that these two are close in overall pucture quality. They both cover similar color after calibrated and they both have similar brightness. The sony has the second best blacks on the planet in this price range. They aren't trash like some here seems to think.

I would like more competive options in the under 10k market but I dont think its going to happen. So hopefully sony can leap frog the new jvc next year!
post #16543 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
That is just someone not know what they are doing, when setting up the projector.
So that was me, and I did exactly what the JVC rep told me to do, and then sent a picture of the result, which was that the projector needed to be on a 10 degree angle to achieve a square image.

This is only my fourth projector since 2002, but sounds like you are an expert. Maybe you can elaborate on what the correct routine was that would have resulted in a (near) level projector and a square image.
post #16544 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
So that was me, and I did exactly what the JVC rep told me to do, and then sent a picture of the result, which was that the projector needed to be on a 10 degree angle to achieve a square image.

This is only my fourth projector since 2002, but sounds like you are an expert. Maybe you can elaborate on what the correct routine was that would have resulted in a (near) level projector and a square image.
Yes, this is what I do for a living. First you are not shooting for a level projector. It is the optics that you are aligning with the screen, not the projector housing. Think of the front of the projector lens as a plane and think of the screen as being a plane. The two planes have to be parallel to each other, vertically and horizontally. So if the lens is tilted down, that means the distance from the bottom of the lens to the bottom of the screen is longer than the distance from the top of the lens to the top of the screen. If it is a longer distance, then the image is traveling farther and therefore getting larger. So if bottom of image is larger than the top, you need to tilt the lens up. So raise front of projector or lower the back of the projector. Same goes for side to side. If the right side is smaller than the left, rotate projector toward the right side, until top and bottom of image is parallel with the frame and then lens shift back onto the screen.

Generally all of this is easier to do if starting out, you reduce the size of the image slightly smaller than the screen frame. That way it is easy to see the relationship between the image and the frame. I also like to use an unused input on the projector, so that you are working with a solid blue image. Makes it easy to see the relationship of the image and frame.

Also would love to know who you talked with at JVC, so that I can make sure he/she gets proper training, if they think a trapezoidal image is a projector defect. Because all they are doing is costing JVC money and as JVC's costs go up, so does projector pricing.
Dave Vaughn, WMJ, asharma and 6 others like this.
post #16545 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlife View Post
I don't know why anyone would be surprised that these two are close in overall pucture quality. They both cover similar color after calibrated and they both have similar brightness. The sony has the second best blacks on the planet in this price range. They aren't trash like some here seems to think.

I would like more competive options in the under 10k market but I dont think its going to happen. So hopefully sony can leap frog the new jvc next year!
If Sony leap frogs JVC, it will leap frog JVCs price as well. They already provides less performance for more money in the USA in the under $20k market. It's been over a decade since a Sony was ahead of JVC for the same price. However, in the right price range, Sony is ahead. Everyone is all for anyone providing better performance for less money than JVC.
rjmcinnis, Nexgen76 and Archibald1 like this.
post #16546 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Have you double-checked the keystone setting to make sure it’s neutral (0)?
post #16547 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Quote:
Yes, that was the first thing I was told to do; factory reset.
post #16548 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, this is what I do for a living. First you are not shooting for a level projector. It is the optics that you are aligning with the screen, not the projector housing. Think of the front of the projector lens as a plane and think of the screen as being a plane. The two planes have to be parallel to each other, vertically and horizontally. So if the lens is tilted down, that means the distance from the bottom of the lens to the bottom of the screen is longer than the distance from the top of the lens to the top of the screen. If it is a longer distance, then the image is traveling farther and therefore getting larger. So if bottom of image is larger than the top, you need to tilt the lens up. So raise front of projector or lower the back of the projector. Same goes for side to side. If the right side is smaller than the left, rotate projector toward the right side, until top and bottom of image is parallel with the frame and then lens shift back onto the screen.
Yep, this was the procedure I was told to follow ...
post #16549 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 06:20 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6684 Post(s)
Liked: 6684
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
If Sony leap frogs JVC, it will leap frog JVCs price as well. They already provides less performance for more money in the USA in the under $20k market. It's been over a decade since a Sony was ahead of JVC for the same price. However, in the right price range, Sony is ahead. Everyone is all for anyone providing better performance for less money than JVC.
Competition makes the market better for the consumer that's for sure. Better price and better performance.
Bytehoven and Archibald1 like this.
post #16550 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1379 Post(s)
Liked: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Competition makes the market better for the consumer that's for sure. Better price and better performance.
Shame, if only it were that simple with all manufactures, right? You've got some intriguing stories Chris.

JVC DLA-X990 (RS640) - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - Panasonic UB820 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton
post #16551 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Also would love to know who you talked with at JVC, so that I can make sure he/she gets proper training, if they think a trapezoidal image is a projector defect. Because all they are doing is costing JVC money and as JVC's costs go up, so does projector pricing.
Is he talking to JVC directly or to his dealer? Because, JVC told me to go through an authorized dealer as they are "vetted", for a better customer experience. Sounds like an authorized dealer slipped through the cracks? Or maybe he went with a rogue dealer?
post #16552 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 27
[/quote]Competition makes the market better for the consumer that's for sure. Better price and better performance.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Its a shame Epson has lost interest! Only having two competitors for one small market isn't the best case.

I truly wonder if JVC and Sony's home theater projector divisions turn a profit. If it was hightly profitable more companies would compete.
post #16553 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjones View Post
My wife and I are Downton Abbey fans, so yesterday we went to a local, mall type theater to watch the new Downton movie. After seemingly endless commercials, previews, etc. the movie began. Throughout the whole movie I wished I was watching it at home on my RS3000. The picture was quite dim and the colors were muted. The only thing better than my HT was the sound, but not by much. Can't wait for this movie to come out on BluRay or UHD so we can have a better experience with it at home!
You're not from Arkansas are you? Reason being my wife and I just recently moved to Arkansas and went to see Downton Abbey this afternoon and I couldn't get over how many previews and commercials this particular theater chain showed. It was literally 23 minutes worth.
post #16554 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Can someone please provide me with where the post is for recommended settings for SDR and HDR?

I cannot seem to make any sense of the right color temp/profile/gamma combinations for content.

I'd like to use the color filters as I have good brightness.
post #16555 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catav View Post
Is he talking to JVC directly or to his dealer? Because, JVC told me to go through an authorized dealer as they are "vetted", for a better customer experience. Sounds like an authorized dealer slipped through the cracks? Or maybe he went with a rogue dealer?
I am confused with his posts. First he said JVC said a keystone image meant the projector was defective. Then I posted the procedure to align the projector with the screen and he said that is the procedure he was told to follow. Two conflicting posts. Anyway, he has the procedure and I think he understands how and why. So he should be good to go, to set up the replacement.
catav likes this.
post #16556 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
Can someone please provide me with where the post is for recommended settings for SDR and HDR?

I cannot seem to make any sense of the right color temp/profile/gamma combinations for content.

I'd like to use the color filters as I have good brightness.
Is there any reason you would want to use anything other than 6500K for colour temperature, the standard profiles (BT.709/BT.2020) and gamma (2.4/PQ)?
post #16557 of 18104 Old 09-22-2019, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Frohlich- How do you find the fan noise in both low and high lamp modes of the NX7/RS2000 vs the Sony 695ES? Have you watched any space scene material or starfield to see if the bright corners show up in that content? Interesting the difference is small between the two. Glad to see you don't notice any deficiencies in motion or up-scaling coming from the Sony.

Last edited by Spizz; 09-22-2019 at 09:43 PM.
post #16558 of 18104 Old 09-23-2019, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayreb View Post
You're not from Arkansas are you? Reason being my wife and I just recently moved to Arkansas and went to see Downton Abbey this afternoon and I couldn't get over how many previews and commercials this particular theater chain showed. It was literally 23 minutes worth.
Nope, Alabama not that that should make any difference. Some of the previews further convinced me that I will not be buying many movies in the coming months!
post #16559 of 18104 Old 09-23-2019, 03:07 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 270 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3717 Post(s)
Liked: 1715
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I am confused with his posts. First he said JVC said a keystone image meant the projector was defective. Then I posted the procedure to align the projector with the screen and he said that is the procedure he was told to follow. Two conflicting posts. Anyway, he has the procedure and I think he understands how and why. So he should be good to go, to set up the replacement.

It looks to be more a case where inexperience led to a misunderstanding of exactly what was being related and why.

Mike, you said that the PJ casing would have to be tilted forward or back (slightly) to get the Lens level if the two aspects were not exactly in line. That would seem to be what the poster said JVC related....although 30 degrees is incredibly excessive, and does point to misinformation....by someone.

It certainly is no help that these PJs weigh in at close to 50 lbs. That makes making minute adjustments problematical in the least. Then there is the Mount being used that can come into question. More likely there is a combination of things at play going on.

I've encountered variances...times when I have taken pains to get a PJ precisely level on both axis and the Lens "supposedly" plumb to the wall, yet still have a "slight" trapezoidal image. But usually it was only one corner that was out/in. A incorrect Lens mount seemed to be the only answer...but tweaking the mount (...Chief mounts are unusually adept at that...) usually resolved the problem, and/or Border Masking took care of any remaining small amount.

More common was the Wall / Screen was actually out at one side or the top or bottom. No one wants to consider that their wall is pitching in or out or their room is out of square, but it's actually quite common.

Unless there is actually a 30 degree pitch prevalent at the Lens Face when the PJ itself is leveled on all corners. That would have to be a Mfg issue.

You did an excellent job explaining the basic procedure....perhaps having another go at it will bring a revelation to the poster.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #16560 of 18104 Old 09-23-2019, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5242 Post(s)
Liked: 3406
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
I've encountered variances...times when I have taken pains to get a PJ precisely level on both axis and the Lens "supposedly" plumb to the wall, yet still have a "slight" trapezoidal image. But usually it was only one corner that was out/in.
Only 1 corner being off can be fixed also. This indicates that the projector needs to be rotated. Once rotated, the image will then be a trapezoid in which case you can point to the smaller end and shift back into position.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page