Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12581Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1711 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 05:47 PM
Member
 
danlw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 59
@BruceJK - Thanks for the NX7 impressions! I have one little test I'd like you to try and report back on. I don't know if you have a CIH setup, but can you save your current lens position into a lens memory, then adjust the zoom, shift, focus to another spot, save that to a second memory, and tell the projector go to back to its first memory? I'm wondering how close it gets to a saved position.

I recently had a chance to play around with an Epson 6040UB, and after several attempts, it didn't seem to want to automatically return to the exact same position we saved. I'm curious to know how the JVC lens memory performs in regards to how closely it returns to saved lens memories. I run CIH, so this function is very important to me.

Thanks!

I am DanLW.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1341
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...103-danlw.html
danlw2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1712 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,325
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4485 Post(s)
Liked: 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameneeded View Post
Guess I'm officially part of the club. 😁

Having some issues though....

First, once I adjust the zoom it doesn't fill my 16:9 screen. It leaves top and bottom a few inches bare.

Second, doesn't want to sense a signal from my Nakamichi Soundwafe. My epson was receiving it no problem though. Cable tested and works.

Ideas?
The zoom you adjust on the lens zoom grid so that the first lines on the side fill the screen. Those are the 16:9 markers. Otherwise you're adjusting for a 17:9 image. When you send 3840x2160 it will automatically be on 16:9 mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameneeded View Post
Htpc running Win10. i7500u with Intel HD630 and HDMI 2.0.

Works direct through sounds bar to spare monitor and works direct to NX7.
And what resolution is that spare monitor? Most monitors are 1080p not 4k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisLJacob View Post
Jim I'm with you. On my old Epson, I had AVS calibrate it before shipping. So everything for me was plug and play. Having to make adjustments and choices for each BR disc seems daunting. But those that have been doing this awhile seem to say we'll get used to it in time. I'm just wondering if they watch a third of the movie and then determine what's wrong with the settings and start over again after adjustments are made.
Tone mapping should solve this. I'd be super out if I had to make movie to movie adjustments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pultzar View Post
That is interesting about low latency mode, proves that the artifact is image processing related. Besides motion related features I wonder what features we lose by turning on low latency mode?
You lose the ability to use CMD. Your HDMI links faster. I always use low latency mode.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cutter View Post
To bad that he doesn't come to the Pacific NW.
We get @Kris Deering . He's awesome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
It reduced sync time. If I recall, you can't use MPC with low lag?
Yes you can still use MPC. Although maybe it just doesn't do anything. I had a game up last night on the RS4500 and moved the enhance slider from 0 to 10 back and forth and honestly couldn't see anything happening.
Kris Deering likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #1713 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 06:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I hav a quick question around an “issue” I’m seeing and hope someone can help. I can’t find anything with searches...

I have a Denon AVR-X6300W providing signal to my 2016 LG OLED and my RS3000. Since I’ve replaced my RS60U with the RS3000 I’ve noticed a problem while watching something on my OLED. If the projector’s HDMI cable is plugged in and the projector is on standby, the signal to the LG OLED drops out every 4 or 5 seconds. If ai unplung the projector HDMI cable, everything is fine. When viewing the projector with the LG in standby, there is no issue with the projector’s signal.

I didn’t have this issue with the RS60U though maybe I set something to fix it 7 years ago... I’m getting old.

I’ve disabled “HDMI Control” in the Denon and LG. I don’t see any such thing in the JvC menus. I’ve tried HDMI 1 and 2 for the projector and tried swapping the outputs on the Denon. None of this helped

Any ideas what might be happening over HDMI in standby and how to fix it?

Thanks!
John
JLLF is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1714 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 06:14 PM
Senior Member
 
BruceJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlw2 View Post
@BruceJK - Thanks for the NX7 impressions! I have one little test I'd like you to try and report back on. I don't know if you have a CIH setup, but can you save your current lens position into a lens memory, then adjust the zoom, shift, focus to another spot, save that to a second memory, and tell the projector go to back to its first memory? I'm wondering how close it gets to a saved position.

I recently had a chance to play around with an Epson 6040UB, and after several attempts, it didn't seem to want to automatically return to the exact same position we saved. I'm curious to know how the JVC lens memory performs in regards to how closely it returns to saved lens memories. I run CIH, so this function is very important to me.

Thanks!
Yes, I do have a CIH setup and I think it's the greatest advantage of a projector. The NX7 is my third JVC projector. I had the the X35 (2012) and X750 (2015) before this. Each generation has had progressive improvement in lens memory accuracy, speed, and quietness. However, there is still some drift from these mechanical devices and the only system that's 100% accurate all the time is electronic scaling.

My Oppo 203 does 16:9 and 21:9 electronic scaling but sadly they are no longer made and the used prices for them are ridiculous. There may be other options as well.

I haven't found the lens memory drift to be too much of a problem honestly. The lens memory gets you close and then a few seconds to touch it up manually every few days of use is all you need.
danlw2 likes this.

Bruce K.
BruceJK is offline  
post #1715 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,325
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4485 Post(s)
Liked: 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLLF View Post
I hav a quick question around an “issue” I’m seeing and hope someone can help. I can’t find anything with searches...

I have a Denon AVR-X6300W providing signal to my 2016 LG OLED and my RS3000. Since I’ve replaced my RS60U with the RS3000 I’ve noticed a problem while watching something on my OLED. If the projector’s HDMI cable is plugged in and the projector is on standby, the signal to the LG OLED drops out every 4 or 5 seconds. If ai unplung the projector HDMI cable, everything is fine. When viewing the projector with the LG in standby, there is no issue with the projector’s signal.

I didn’t have this issue with the RS60U though maybe I set something to fix it 7 years ago... I’m getting old.

I’ve disabled “HDMI Control” in the Denon and LG. I don’t see any such thing in the JvC menus. I’ve tried HDMI 1 and 2 for the projector and tried swapping the outputs on the Denon. None of this helped

Any ideas what might be happening over HDMI in standby and how to fix it?

Thanks!
John
The projector sends its EDID over standby to probably keep sources like bluray players and PCs from freaking out and changing their resolutions. It may be a lesser capable EDID also. What I did when I was managing two sources like this (Sony 675ES and RS640) is I would cut power at the socket to the one that wouldn't be in use. I did this via programmable wifi power adapters. I could then control the power via my system remote and/or PC software.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #1716 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,409
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11719 Post(s)
Liked: 9257
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLLF View Post
I hav a quick question around an “issue” I’m seeing and hope someone can help. I can’t find anything with searches...

I have a Denon AVR-X6300W providing signal to my 2016 LG OLED and my RS3000. Since I’ve replaced my RS60U with the RS3000 I’ve noticed a problem while watching something on my OLED. If the projector’s HDMI cable is plugged in and the projector is on standby, the signal to the LG OLED drops out every 4 or 5 seconds. If ai unplung the projector HDMI cable, everything is fine. When viewing the projector with the LG in standby, there is no issue with the projector’s signal.

I didn’t have this issue with the RS60U though maybe I set something to fix it 7 years ago... I’m getting old.

I’ve disabled “HDMI Control” in the Denon and LG. I don’t see any such thing in the JvC menus. I’ve tried HDMI 1 and 2 for the projector and tried swapping the outputs on the Denon. None of this helped

Any ideas what might be happening over HDMI in standby and how to fix it?

Thanks!
John
What HDMI cable do you use?
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #1717 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,409
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11719 Post(s)
Liked: 9257
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJK View Post
Yes, I do have a CIH setup and I think it's the greatest advantage of a projector. The NX7 is my third JVC projector. I had the the X35 (2012) and X750 (2015) before this. Each generation has had progressive improvement in lens memory accuracy, speed, and quietness. However, there is still some drift from these mechanical devices and the only system that's 100% accurate all the time is electronic scaling.

My Oppo 203 does 16:9 and 21:9 electronic scaling but sadly they are no longer made and the used prices for them are ridiculous. There may be other options as well.

I haven't found the lens memory drift to be too much of a problem honestly. The lens memory gets you close and then a few seconds to touch it up manually every few days of use is all you need.
Lens memory on your NX7 should be more accurate than previous lens memories. JVC beefed up the lens supports. Look at the weight difference between the RS540 (34lb) vs RS1000 (44lb). The larger plastic housing and 4K native panels did not add much weight.
BruceJK likes this.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #1718 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 07:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
The projector sends its EDID over standby to probably keep sources like bluray players and PCs from freaking out and changing their resolutions. It may be a lesser capable EDID also. What I did when I was managing two sources like this (Sony 675ES and RS640) is I would cut power at the socket to the one that wouldn't be in use. I did this via programmable wifi power adapters. I could then control the power via my system remote and/or PC software.
Thanks! This might be a fallback if I can’t find anything else.
JLLF is offline  
post #1719 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 07:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
What HDMI cable do you use?
I’m using a 40 foot Monoprice SlimRun AV HDR plenum cable. Verified that I have the direction correct...

It might be worth noting that I experience the signal drops with my media center PC signal but that my Roku gives an HDCP error screen instead. And the projector never has these issues, just the LG when the projector HDMI is plugged in and on standby. Receiver and OLED are on latest firmware.
JLLF is offline  
post #1720 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 23,875
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6340 Post(s)
Liked: 6340
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Is there ANYBODY that can take input lag measurements in the various modes?
Once we get enough users out there we all will have far more answers. We have so few users that all we have are questions. This is one of the things we check out.
Bytehoven and alebonau like this.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #1721 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,742
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Once we get enough users out there we all will have far more answers. We have so few users that all we have are questions. This is one of the things we check out.


I know. I’m just impatient. Lol.
ScottieBoysName is offline  
post #1722 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,626
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLLF View Post
I’m using a 40 foot Monoprice SlimRun AV HDR plenum cable. Verified that I have the direction correct...

It might be worth noting that I experience the signal drops with my media center PC signal but that my Roku gives an HDCP error screen instead. And the projector never has these issues, just the LG when the projector HDMI is plugged in and on standby. Receiver and OLED are on latest firmware.
the maximum length of mono price premium certified cables is 30ft. if going over I would personally move to fibre eg the ruipro. but that is not to say you dont have some other issue. things like roku and media centre pc and such I ALL the time see people having all sorts of hdmi issues with. quite possible the problem is else where...

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #1723 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 07:46 PM
Newbie
 
Caudio18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Has anyone tried the NX7 or NX9 with a Paladin lens yet? I have a 153" 2.40:1 Screen and had planned on using it for extra brightness, just was wondering if anyone has tried this setup yet?
Applemike68 and dkersten like this.
Caudio18 is offline  
post #1724 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 1,265
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJK View Post
Not yet sorry. Maybe time to watch Mad Max Fury Road again! My favourite 3D movie.
My vote for best 3D visual is overwhelmingly for "Sin City: A Dame To Kill For" in 3D. Not only will the native 3D photography draw you in with its immersiveness, but the movie is almost entirely in B&W, containing some of the best contrast and deep blacks that I've ever seen. It should be awesome on the NX7. I thoroughly agree with this Blu-Ray.com review of the video presentation......

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sin-C.../79101/#Review
yoguy1, Reddig and BruceJK like this.
docrog is offline  
post #1725 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 08:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
the maximum length of mono price premium certified cables is 30ft. if going over I would personally move to fibre eg the ruipro. but that is not to say you dont have some other issue. things like roku and media centre pc and such I ALL the time see people having all sorts of hdmi issues with. quite possible the problem is else where...
Thanks for the reply. You’re probably right that it’s something HDMI related, or the EDID as was mentioned by someone else. The cable, however, works flawlessly while watching 4K, 12 bit, 4:2:2, 60 FPS on the projector (Billy Lynn). It just seems to be something that is periodically being sent from the RS3000 while in standby that is confusing upstream HDMI. Very weird.
JLLF is offline  
post #1726 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 08:01 PM
Member
 
yankiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caudio18 View Post
Has anyone tried the NX7 or NX9 with a Paladin lens yet? I have a 153" 2.40:1 Screen and had planned on using it for extra brightness, just was wondering if anyone has tried this setup yet?
I have the regular paladin I will be using on my 135” 2.35:1 screen when mine comes in finally 🙂
BruceJK likes this.

JVC DLA-NX9 | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |
yankiy is offline  
post #1727 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
dlinsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 990
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caudio18 View Post
Has anyone tried the NX7 or NX9 with a Paladin lens yet? I have a 153" 2.40:1 Screen and had planned on using it for extra brightness, just was wondering if anyone has tried this setup yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankiy View Post
I have the regular paladin I will be using on my 135” 2.35:1 screen when mine comes in finally 🙂
I have a Paladin DCR awaiting my RS3000/NX9 (still scheduled for 1/9 ). I'm currently using it with my RS600, as the Lumagen Radiance can fake the aspect to 2.22 so that it appears correct on my 2.37:1 120" wide screen. I'm already liking what it does to the image in terms of it looking more solid like others have found.
dlinsley is online now  
post #1728 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,325
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4485 Post(s)
Liked: 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLLF View Post
Thanks for the reply. You’re probably right that it’s something HDMI related, or the EDID as was mentioned by someone else. The cable, however, works flawlessly while watching 4K, 12 bit, 4:2:2, 60 FPS on the projector (Billy Lynn). It just seems to be something that is periodically being sent from the RS3000 while in standby that is confusing upstream HDMI. Very weird.
If it works fine with only one device hooked up, its not the cable.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #1729 of 13213 Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Drem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 110
When adjusting the manual slider in aperture (N7) does your projector make a noise? This is normal? To be clear, there is no noise apart actual adjustment in manual setting.. i e no noise in actual viewing of movies..

I am using Auto1 currectly, and to be honest I dont see that much difference between Auto1 and Auto2 from the quick testing this weekend. Can someone please clarify the difference? Manual says Auto1 (gradation) and Auto2 (image contrast) but what does image gradation actually mean??

Skickat från min VKY-L29 via Tapatalk

Last edited by Drem; 01-14-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Drem is online now  
post #1730 of 13213 Old 01-14-2019, 12:07 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 2,817
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I had a new RS640 in my room along with my RS4500. Everybody that saw both easily picked the 4500 as the better projector and they were brightness matched.
Thanks Mike; I guess that perhaps gets you close to understanding RS3000/NX9 vs DLA-X, but is a tougher call on the RS2000/N7 vs DLA-X. There ain't no way no how I'd ever spring anything like the money JVC are asking for the NX9 though (I'm just not in that market), so the N7 comparison is really what I'm most eager to see.
Reddig likes this.
bobof is online now  
post #1731 of 13213 Old 01-14-2019, 12:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RapalloAV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 4,317
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2200 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Can someone please test if Low Latency mode will work when the anamorphic mode is in A please?
I have only just noticed on my X9900 that Low Latency will only work when the anamorphic mode is OFF, when I bring in my Isco IIIL on the cineslide and engage anamorphic A on the X9900, Low latency is turned off!

As Im getting the NX9, I would hate this to happen with it, if I engage Low latency, I want it on regardless if the anamorphic mode is in OFF or ON.

Maybe this is a bug on the X9900, would love to see what others think???

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
RapalloAV is online now  
post #1732 of 13213 Old 01-14-2019, 01:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 3,476
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer View Post
But what is more worry is the 2. reflection to the the right down.
This reflection is half down and half to the right and so far I understand how e shift work this is it.

So I almost sure that bug coming from e shift!
It's not from e-shift. That ghost image to the right/down of the square is an internal lens reflection. They have been there since at least the JVC RS40 and that was before e-shift was even invented. The reason it is shifted in that direction likely has to do with the amount of lens-shift applied. You can move those ghost reflections up/down/left/right on the screen by playing with lens-shift. If the ADL contrast pattern was not symmetrical/mirrored, you probably would have seen the squares on one side reflecting to the black background on the opposite side of the lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
I really doubt the ghosting and blooming has anything to do with eshift.

Most likely this is just the normal internal reflections that you get with any optical system.

Just to be clear, even the 885 and 995 Sony's have internal reflections and ghosts. In fact almost every 885 has large blue streaks on white objects on black backgrounds. My Sony 385 also has blue streaks on white objects with black backgrounds.

Honestly if you pixel peep you will always see these kind of defects. But never are these defects visible in any movie content from normal seated position.

I think people are getting a little nervous and making mountains out of mole hills. Arrow's NX9 may have a few issues but none of them are showstoppers and some of them may even improve with future firmware updates.
Agreed about this being optical reflections. Disagree that it's present on all optical systems. I've owned projectors without this issue and it's not been reported on the RS4500. Also disagree that it's not visible in content. I saw these reflections plenty of times whenever you had a night or space scene with a black background and flashlights, headlights, or other large bright objects isolated to a single part of the screen. You would always see a ghost image reflected somewhere else on the screen - exact position depended on amount of lens-shift applied. I posted a photo from Force Awakens that showed just one example. That's from chapter 25 (time offset 49:25).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Considering this method is providing an approximation, yes you can use lens shift to position each square for the meter, rather than moving the meter each time

Definitely don't touch lens shift while taking ANSI/ADL measurements. Lens shift moves the internal lens reflections and will cause a change in the amount the white squares reflect onto the black squares on the opposite side of the screen. In fact, that's a variable that could explain some of the ANSI differences we're seeing between different owners. At extreme lens-shift offsets, you can shift some of the reflections off-screen so they don't contaminate the blacks as much.
Wizziwig is offline  
post #1733 of 13213 Old 01-14-2019, 01:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wizziwig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 3,476
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2187 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
@BruceJK Was your N7 also an October build? Other than the one unit Mike G reported selling, has anyone else gotten a December sample? Wondering what the differences will be.
Wizziwig is offline  
post #1734 of 13213 Old 01-14-2019, 01:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
W.Mayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,151
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
It's not from e-shift. That ghost image to the right/down of the square is an internal lens reflection. They have been there since at least the JVC RS40 and that was before e-shift was even invented. The reason it is shifted in that direction likely has to do with the amount of lens-shift applied. You can move those ghost reflections up/down/left/right on the screen by playing with lens-shift. If the ADL contrast pattern was not symmetrical/mirrored, you probably would have seen the squares on one side reflecting to the black background on the opposite side of the lens.

Thank you for your detailed info.

In Germany it is still unclear when we will get first units but it looks like till end of this months.
So I can rate it myself soon.
Most important is as other point out already.
How good is the picture was when watching a movie.
The JVC Z1 is a good example.
Just rate the cr. number the unit looks not so good but all people that saw this unit in action like the picture a lot also without the superhigh cr. numbers.

My dealer in Germany is one of the few ones that will soon have both the new big Sony the 870 and the JVC X9.
It will be interesting for me to know what he will say when he get likely in 1-2 weeks the X9 and compare both units.
Craig Peer and Reddig like this.

Last edited by W.Mayer; 01-14-2019 at 01:55 AM.
W.Mayer is offline  
post #1735 of 13213 Old 01-14-2019, 01:51 AM
Member
 
loggeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rhodes, Greece
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Can someone please test if Low Latency mode will work when the anamorphic mode is in A please?
I have only just noticed on my X9900 that Low Latency will only work when the anamorphic mode is OFF, when I bring in my Isco IIIL on the cineslide and engage anamorphic A on the X9900, Low latency is turned off!

As Im getting the NX9, I would hate this to happen with it, if I engage Low latency, I want it on regardless if the anamorphic mode is in OFF or ON.

Maybe this is a bug on the X9900, would love to see what others think???
I believe new models will provide distortion control too. Very important feature. I am not optimistic that we can enable Low Latency Mode using an A-lens mode as it would require image processing I guess.
David Mathews likes this.
loggeo is offline  
post #1736 of 13213 Old 01-14-2019, 01:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
David Mathews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Howell, MI, USA
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Can someone please test if Low Latency mode will work when the anamorphic mode is in A please?
I have only just noticed on my X9900 that Low Latency will only work when the anamorphic mode is OFF, when I bring in my Isco IIIL on the cineslide and engage anamorphic A on the X9900, Low latency is turned off!

As Im getting the NX9, I would hate this to happen with it, if I engage Low latency, I want it on regardless if the anamorphic mode is in OFF or ON.

Maybe this is a bug on the X9900, would love to see what others think???

Good find, and think it may not be a bug, but possibly an undesired feature


Simplistically I always thought low latency modes are simply just turning off much of the image processing. Anamorphic modes are in the image processing area of firmware. At least some processing needs to be activated to do the scaling.

Note this means that the quick brown fox will not be one to on pixel mapping, it will be scaled. While version 1.17 made improvements, its still not perfect even without anamorphic. That said, folks have said at normal viewing distance will pretty much be non issue, I agree, but looking forward to seeing. I'm going to run Paladin DCR with RS3000, so will be scaling in both horizontal and vertical directions.

I believe it's been reported the on board scaling has been improved over what's in your x9900. Is that what your using to do the vertical stretch with your isco? If so, and your happy with it, we should be fine with image content.

For desktop monitor type content, probably use your cineslide to move lens of way and turn low latency mode back on.
loggeo likes this.

Dave
David Mathews is offline  
post #1737 of 13213 Old 01-14-2019, 02:06 AM
Member
 
loggeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rhodes, Greece
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathews View Post
Good find, and think it may not be a bug, but possibly an undesired feature


Simplistically I always thought low latency modes are simply just turning off much of the image processing. Anamorphic modes are in the image processing area of firmware. At least some processing needs to be activated to do the scaling.

Note this means that the quick brown fox will not be one to on pixel mapping, it will be scaled. While version 1.17 made improvements, its still not perfect even without anamorphic. That said, folks have said at normal viewing distance will pretty much be non issue, I agree, but looking forward to seeing. I'm going to run Paladin DCR with RS3000, so will be scaling in both horizontal and vertical directions.

I believe it's been reported the on board scaling has been improved over what's in your x9900. Is that what your using to do the vertical stretch with your isco? If so, and your happy with it, we should be fine with image content.

For desktop monitor type content, probably use your cineslide to move lens of way and turn low latency mode back on.
I have a dcr a couple of months now and I 'm waiting for the rs3000. Thankfully I have a lumagen pro and I can use it with my rs500. Given that my throw ratio is just above 1.4, I will need to make use of the distortion control on the new jvc. It will be a cool feature.
loggeo is offline  
post #1738 of 13213 Old 01-14-2019, 02:10 AM
Member
 
loggeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rhodes, Greece
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I suppose if we assign the processing/scaling to Lumagen Pro and we don't use JVC's anamorphic modes, then there is no reason why the Low Latency Mode will not work on our JVCs.
David Mathews and Wookii like this.
loggeo is offline  
post #1739 of 13213 Old 01-14-2019, 02:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,325
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4485 Post(s)
Liked: 2820
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Mayer View Post
Thank you for your detailed info.

In Germany it is still unclear when we will get first units but it looks like till end of this months.
So I can rate it myself soon.
Most important is as other point out already.
How good is the picture was when watching a movie.
The JVC Z1 is a good example.
Just rate the cr. number the unit looks not so good but all people that saw this unit in action like the picture a lot also without the superhigh cr. numbers.

My dealer in Germany is one of the few ones that will soon have both the new big Sony the 870 and the JVC X9.
It will be interesting for me to know what he will say when he get likely in 1-2 weeks the X9 and compare both units.
The Z1 looks good because it has very good dynamic contrast. The dynamic dimming makes up for a lot of its short comings in native contrast. It manages to get its black floor down very low using that dimming system so you don't get the feel that it has terrible contrast.
woofer, OzHDHT, Craig Peer and 2 others like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #1740 of 13213 Old 01-14-2019, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,168
Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 6255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Definitely don't touch lens shift while taking ANSI/ADL measurements. Lens shift moves the internal lens reflections and will cause a change in the amount the white squares reflect onto the black squares on the opposite side of the screen. In fact, that's a variable that could explain some of the ANSI differences we're seeing between different owners. At extreme lens-shift offsets, you can shift some of the reflections off-screen so they don't contaminate the blacks as much.
Firstly, nobody has or is suggesting touching lens shift while taking ADL contrast measurements

Secondly, the question and my answer (which you have taken out of context) does NOT relate to taking the proper ANSI contrast measurements; it ONLY relates to taking a quick APPROXIMATION namely the Greg Roger's Method 'GR ANSI', wherein you are only moving the lens shift slightly and retaining it within the central portion of the panel in order to do so, wherein I have actually carried out the measurement both with and without lens shift, and as expected the results are almost identical.

So no I strongly disgree with you that you cannot/should not do so when taking a quick approximation of 'GR ANSI' for the aforementioned reasons

And no this does NOT "explain some of the ANSI differences we're seeing between different owners" because nobody is doing this, nor should be doing this, when taking proper ANSI contrast measurements


OK folks I am taking a break from the forum for a while, have fun!

Craig Peer and Reddig like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 01-14-2019 at 02:25 AM.
ARROW-AV is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off