Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 580 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17704Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #17371 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 4,274
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Tried out the new firmware. Ended up using wide color (I've always preferred the filter), frame by frame and medium. High on my 130" scope screen felt like watching the picture with the gamma set to high. Medium looks perfect to my eyes. High lamp.

Watched clips from Blade Runner, Blade Runner 2049, Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: End Game. All UHD discs through the Panasonic UB820 (HDR Optimizer off). What a fantastic upgrade. Especially for the Disney titles with no metadata. It was so nice not to have to futz with anything and the both Avengers movies have never looked better. In fact all of the content looked the best it ever has. Well done JVC.

Still using iris Auto-1 and still not seeing any obvious yellowing so far. My only complaint is that I would love to have multiple Frame Adapt presets to use to allow me to equalize brightness between narrow and wide AR content. Oh well a couple clicks of the iris is a lot easier than fiddling with the HDR optimizer on the Panasonic was for Disney titles. So I think I'll live

jeahrens is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17372 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
BondDonBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: US
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Wide will be with the color filter in place. Small drop in brightness..
Correct, however was not much at all drop for me. Med was still plenty bright and the colors were great.

Home Theater: JVC RS2000, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- PB-16 Ultra Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One, HTPC with MadVR, Qnap NAS
BondDonBond is offline  
post #17373 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,352
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked: 2277
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
I think most people still agree that the Panny is the best at upconverting 1080P BRs still - correct? Maybe not worth $500 for that though.
For 4K players, yes.
DavidHir is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17374 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blee0120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 4,987
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
Which HDR setting did you try Auto, Low, Medium, or High? High lamp or low lamp?
Low lamp with the medium setting. I will continue to use MadVR for movies but Netflix, gaming, and other non 4k rips will definitely the new frame adaptive feature.
blee0120 is offline  
post #17375 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 4,274
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post
hey there, a couple lame questions that probably have been discussed but first off I currently have a JVC X790 and wondering if going to the NX7 will be an upgrade even with the lower native contrast? I was also wondering why the cost went up recently?
thanks!
The cost increase is believed to be an impact of the tariffs effecting the world market. The information we have is that JVC felt they didn't want to inflate their entry level NX5 and that the NX7 would be the best option to offset the cost increases.

The contrast difference having owned an RS520 is certainly there, but I don't feel the gulf is as large as some have made it out to be. About a month ago I did a movie day at a fellow forum members place and watched Alita: Battle Angel on their RS540 and the next day watched Blade Runner on my NX7. I couldn't see a glaring difference contrast wise.

The NX lineup obviously has better native resolution, but it brings a lot of other perks to the table. The improved optics and processing allow them to resolve 4K to the single pixel level. Motion handling is improved. Sync times are improved. Surprisingly 2K material looks better on the NX7/UB820 than it did on the RS520/UB820. Not really sure why, but it does. And of course the new frame by frame dynamic tonemapping is truly phenomenal for 4K HDR.
Spizz, Craig Peer and BruceJK like this.


Last edited by jeahrens; 10-10-2019 at 09:25 AM.
jeahrens is offline  
post #17376 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 09:22 AM
Senior Member
 
riddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Allllrighty then. I’ll report back.

Let me know... what was your experience. I made last night two photos but quality not much but the difference in lights is recognizable...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3919.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	466.8 KB
ID:	2626204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3920.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	501.0 KB
ID:	2626206  
riddle is offline  
post #17377 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 2,522
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mathews View Post
good usage of OCD!
Hopefully others can duplicate your results, nice work :-)

not sure if it matters, but
what type screen material and gain?
from pic looks like angle of incidence reflected off screen ends up below projector? or did it end up being at lens?
does V12 have similar sensor box for meter placement and at 12 inches it was close to maxed out?
Screen is a Severtson CineWhite 1.3 gain with a Half gain off-center of 45-degrees and a Half Gain Cone Viewing Angle of 90-degrees. I have actually thought about that and I really have not taken multiple readings to see what angles would produce a dramatic change in readings...yes that is something I will do after the honeymoon is over. I have done visual checks when I put the meter up and I really can't see any drop off that close to the screen. I have no screen preset adjustment settings set on JVC since there are none for the Severtson screen. If anyone knows if a different brand is the same then I can try it with a preset enabled.

Yes, v12 does have that sensor box but I noticed that it works great for the Spyders (the Spyder X was measured at 12" but the box showed I was not all the way from the rear/max of the box, I would estimate the box showed it at 10-11" if the rear was 12") so not sure how accurate that box is on the software and if the box is a live reading or just a reference. Now, the i1Pro2 was a completely different result. No matter where I put the meter, the box always showed it was out of the box so someone will have to let me know if that box actually works with the i1Pro2 but the manual makes no mention that it does so I used the 12" that I have seen others say is the optimum distance for it. Again, if that distance is wrong I would love to know what the best distance is.
Killroy is offline  
post #17378 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 7,119
Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5007 Post(s)
Liked: 1927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
Yes, v12 does have that sensor box but I noticed that it works great for the Spyders (the Spyder X was measured at 12" but the box showed I was not all the way from the rear/max of the box, I would estimate the box showed it at 10-11" if the rear was 12") so not sure how accurate that box is on the software and if the box is a live reading or just a reference. Now, the i1Pro2 was a completely different result. No matter where I put the meter, the box always showed it was out of the box so someone will have to let me know if that box actually works with the i1Pro2 but the manual makes no mention that it does so I used the 12" that I have seen others say is the optimum distance for it. Again, if that distance is wrong I would love to know what the best distance is.
The box display is based on live readings. However, when the meter faces the screen the light readings do not change much with distance. That’s why the instruction says
Quote:
Adjust the distance between the projector and the screen so that the screen surface is within the range indicated in orange.
whereas for Spider 5 facing the lens the instruction says
Quote:
Adjust the position of the sensor such that it is within the range indicated in orange on the software as show in the figure on the right.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 10-10-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Dominic Chan is offline  
post #17379 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 2,522
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The box display is based on live readings. However, when the meter faces the screen the light readings do not change much with distance. That’s why the instruction says

Quote:
Adjust the distance between the projector and the screen so that the screen surface is within the range indicated in orange.

LOL!!!! When I first read that on the manual yesterday, and I read it multiple times, I kept thinking to myself "Self.... How am I supposed to move the screen material to fit in that box???" So I am assuming that the box is just using the screen size entered in the settings tab of the software. Since I had entered 120" for screen size I was within the orange box.
Killroy is offline  
post #17380 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
SirMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 922
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Yeah I have found that when I measure my i1 Pro 2 or i1D3 from the screen, I mount them several feet away from the screen, from the same viewing angle as my seat.

Mounting them farther back completely eliminates any shadow since the projector is ceiling mounted and ensures that the meter sees the screen from the same angle as the viewers.

I don't measure any brightness drop when moving the meter farther away from the screen since the meter can see more of the screen to compensate for the distance away.
SirMaster is offline  
post #17381 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
hjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Heart of Dixie
Posts: 781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjones View Post
After pulling out much of my remaining hair I determined that the fiber optic HDMI cable that I was using between my Oppo 203 and the AVP is not compatible with DTM for some reason (FURUI HDMI 2.0b Fiber Optic Cable Nylon Braided HDR10, ARC, HDCP2.2, 3D, Dolby Vision, 18Gbps Fiber Optic HDMI Cable Subsampling 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:4). I swapped it out for another fiber optic HDMI cable (RUIPRO 4K60HZ HDR Light Speed HDMI2.0b Cable, Supports 18.2 Gbps, ARC, HDR10, Dolby Vision, HDCP2.2, 4:4:4) and DTM works perfectly!! Buyer beware as always!
My apologies to FURUI. There is nothing wrong with these cables.

This morning I was troubleshooting why I was not getting HDR from my Fire TV. Turned out that I had a HDFURY DIVA connected to the Monitor 2 out of my Marantz 8802a while Monitor 1 was connected to the JVC. The DIVA was configured to give me 1080P out from 4K to drive a wall mounted TV that I use for when I don't want to turn on the projector. When I disconnected it, FireTV gave me HDR as did the UHD players that used the FURUI cables to the Marantz. I thought that the DIVA output (TX1) for 1080P was isolated from all 4K inputs and outputs (TX0) but apparently not so. Not the first problem that the DIVA has caused, but I won't go into that. I will just say that the DIVA will remain disconnected.

No idea why the RIPRO cables apparently were not affected by the DIVA...

So, again the 25 foot FURUI cables work fine for 4k HDR and of course DTM.
hjones is online now  
post #17382 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 10:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Applemike68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rramacha View Post
Hello All



I was wondering if any one had a solution for this.



I am not sure where to post this. If this is not the right place, please let me know.



I have JVC NX7 connected to AV 8805 feeding Strato. When ever I select a scene to play (HDR or not), there is a black screen for like almost 30 seconds before it shows me the content. Audio starts to play from the start. Is there any thing I am doing wrong from settings perspective.



This never happened with Epson 9700UB.



Cheers



Raj


Raj

My JVC RS2000 does the same as with all my previous jvc projectors working with my Strato/terra server. It’s just the lag, I get sound before I get video. I’ve learned to live with it. But, the RS2000/X7 are faster than the previous models.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rramacha likes this.

JVC RS3000 : Panamorph DCR Lens : Screen Innovations 125" Slate 1.2 2.40.1
Anthem MRX 1120 : Kaleidescape Strato :Kaleidescape 24TB Server :Apple TV 4K
Oppo 203 : Xbox One X
Paradigm 95f , 55c, Paradigm Elite in wall surround and atmos speakers
SVS sb16 ultra x 3 : Emotiva XPA 3 DR 3 for LCR : Current Setup 7.3.4 Atmos : Savant Pro
Applemike68 is online now  
post #17383 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 10:49 AM
Senior Member
 
rramacha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Santa Clara CA
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applemike68 View Post
Raj

My JVC RS2000 does the same as with all my previous jvc projectors working with my Strato/terra server. It’s just the lag, I get sound before I get video. I’ve learned to live with it. But, the RS2000/X7 are faster than the previous models.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It just makes me go nuts. Is there a setting to minimize the lag? I will use a stop watch to time this once back home on Monday.
rramacha is offline  
post #17384 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Killroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ninth Circle of Hell
Posts: 2,522
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Yeah I have found that when I measure my i1 Pro 2 or i1D3 from the screen, I mount them several feet away from the screen, from the same viewing angle as my seat.

Mounting them farther back completely eliminates any shadow since the projector is ceiling mounted and ensures that the meter sees the screen from the same angle as the viewers.

I don't measure any brightness drop when moving the meter farther away from the screen since the meter can see more of the screen to compensate for the distance away.
That actually makes sense since the manual really does not state a distance for the i1Pro2. I will try a color calibration from several feet back and see how that differs.
Killroy is offline  
post #17385 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
SirMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 922
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killroy View Post
That actually makes sense since the manual really does not state a distance for the i1Pro2. I will try a color calibration from several feet back and see how that differs.


And when I say brightness drop, I meant that when I read the screen brightness from my meter in say HCFR, moving it away from the screen does not cause the meter to read a lower brightness.

You just have to make sure it’s pointing correctly.

I generally plug my meter into HCFR and interactively position it to get the max brightness reading before running it in autocal.
Killroy and UlrikRasmussen like this.
SirMaster is offline  
post #17386 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,870
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4055 Post(s)
Liked: 7086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applemike68 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rramacha View Post
Hello All



I was wondering if any one had a solution for this.



I am not sure where to post this. If this is not the right place, please let me know.



I have JVC NX7 connected to AV 8805 feeding Strato. When ever I select a scene to play (HDR or not), there is a black screen for like almost 30 seconds before it shows me the content. Audio starts to play from the start. Is there any thing I am doing wrong from settings perspective.



This never happened with Epson 9700UB.



Cheers



Raj


Raj

My JVC RS2000 does the same as with all my previous jvc projectors working with my Strato/terra server. It’️s just the lag, I get sound before I get video. I’️ve learned to live with it. But, the RS2000/X7 are faster than the previous models.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the sound is before the video just adjust the audio delay in your AVR or processor. Shouldn’t be difficult to compensate for.
rramacha likes this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is offline  
post #17387 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Senior Member
 
rramacha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Santa Clara CA
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
If the sound is before the video just adjust the audio delay in your AVR or processor. Shouldn’t be difficult to compensate for.
I think the issue is we get blank screen and audio associated with it. Eventually when the screen comes back with picture, it would be in synch with audio. If I delay the audio that may mess up synching.

Sorry If I am not making sense or misunderstood how audio delay works.

Cheers
Spizz likes this.
rramacha is offline  
post #17388 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChldsPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 2,170
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 673
I am a little mixed on the DTM based on my minimal testing. On a couple titles (one with and one without metadata) the improvement is noticeable. However, with a couple titles without metadata (Infinity War and Endgame), I much prefer the custom settings I had for non-metadata titles. On those 2 titles, the colors seemed less vivid, and the contrast reduced.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)

Last edited by ChldsPlay; 10-10-2019 at 01:47 PM.
ChldsPlay is offline  
post #17389 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,294
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I am a little mixed on the DTM based on my minmal testing. On a couple titles (one wiyh amd one without metadata) the improvement is noticeable. However, with a couple titles without metadata (Infinity War and Endgame), I much prefer the custom settings I had for non-metadata titles. On those 2 titles, the colors seemed less vivid, and the contrast reduced.
Are u using wide color gamut and high? What size screen?

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual SVS SB3000
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
125" 2.35 Stewart Cima Neve Tab Tensioned Electric
asharma is offline  
post #17390 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
skypop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by rramacha View Post
I think the issue is we get blank screen and audio associated with it. Eventually when the screen comes back with picture, it would be in synch with audio. If I delay the audio that may mess up synching.

Sorry If I am not making sense or misunderstood how audio delay works.

Cheers
Try hitting the Pause button until the video comes up,than hit play. Doesn't work for all Companies movies but works on quite a few,this is how to do it with my RS600 I have.

2 Channel: Fi 2A3 mono's,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB820 ,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.
skypop is offline  
post #17391 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 4,274
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I am a little mixed on the DTM based on my minmal testing. On a couple titles (one wiyh amd one without metadata) the improvement is noticeable. However, with a couple titles without metadata (Infinity War and Endgame), I much prefer the custom settings I had for non-metadata titles. On those 2 titles, the colors seemed less vivid, and the contrast reduced.
Odd. I had been using the Panasonic Optimizer on Disney titles (+5 and -2 brightness for the titles you mention) and the DTM was the best both Avengers have looked. If you are using high, try medium. I thought high gave a similar look to using a lighter gamma, to much shadow detail exposed and the picture lost contrast (a bit washed out).
Spizz and BondDonBond like this.


Last edited by jeahrens; 10-10-2019 at 12:10 PM.
jeahrens is offline  
post #17392 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Macroblocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,050
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
The cost increase is believed to be an impact of the tariffs effecting the world market. The information we have is that JVC felt they didn't want to inflate their entry level NX5 and that the NX7 would be the best option to offset the cost increases.

The contrast difference having owned an RS520 is certainly there, but I don't feel the gulf is as large as some have made it out to be. About a month ago I did a movie day at a fellow forum members place and watched Alita: Battle Angel on their RS540 and the next day watched Blade Runner on my NX7. I couldn't see a glaring difference contrast wise.

The NX lineup obviously has better native resolution, but it brings a lot of other perks to the table. The improved optics and processing allow them to resolve 4K to the single pixel level. Motion handling is improved. Sync times are improved. Surprisingly 2K material looks better on the NX7/UB820 than it did on the RS520/UB820. Not really sure why, but it does. And of course the new frame by frame dynamic tonemapping is truly phenomenal for 4K HDR.
thank you for the nice comparison! I recall noticing a difference in contrast going from the RS400 to the X790 of course although the 790 has 3X the contrast of the RS400 so I'm thinking I wouldn't be disappointed going from the X790 to the Nx7, speaking just of the contrast alone.
Macroblocker is offline  
post #17393 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddle View Post
Let me know... what was your experience. I made last night two photos but quality not much but the difference in lights is recognizable...


I honestly didn’t see much difference either.
ScottieBoysName is offline  
post #17394 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 4,274
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroblocker View Post
thank you for the nice comparison! I recall noticing a difference in contrast going from the RS400 to the X790 of course although the 790 has 3X the contrast of the RS400 so I'm thinking I wouldn't be disappointed going from the X790 to the Nx7, speaking just of the contrast alone.
I think you will notice the contrast difference, but overall it doesn't call much attention to itself and I think you'll be surprised how close they look. For me the biggest difference was how aggressive the RS520 closed down the iris on fade to black. The NX7 doesn't do this, but at the same time it doesn't suffer from the pumping effect the e-shift model did on things like credits. Overall I think I prefer the less aggressive approach. The iris on the NX7 is quite seamless.

It's really hard to put into words but these new units have an image it really looks like you could step into at times. So clear and stable. I think you'll be pleased.
Macroblocker, Dandlj and BruceJK like this.

jeahrens is offline  
post #17395 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
grendelrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 962
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Whole is okay.

As far as Fine and Zone:

If you cannot see the convergence issue in content from your seating position, leave it alone.

If you can see it in content, use the least amount of Fine and/or Zone adjustment necessary to no longer make it bothersome for you.
Sorry to bring this back up, I know it keeps coming up, just want to make sure I am not off on this. When you say not to use Fine adjustment, does that even mean you have whole panel adjustment selected or only when using Zone? I am doing whole panel adjustment but dialed in with fine, I can go back to full pixel adjustment with whole if needed though, it was pretty close.
grendelrt is offline  
post #17396 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,763
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6781 Post(s)
Liked: 6781
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
No,because basically sending raw video to it. As long as it is a good player I can't see spending the extra on a 9000 or 203.
That what I was thinking.......
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #17397 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bwillcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,415
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 934 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
That what I was thinking.......
Yeah, had I known about this JVC firmware update coming I probably wouldn't have purchased a UB9000 about 6 months ago.
Karl Maga likes this.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
bwillcox is offline  
post #17398 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 4,274
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Yeah, had I known about this JVC firmware update coming I probably wouldn't have purchased a UB9000 about 6 months ago.
Well the UB820/9000 still does an excellent job upscaling. I remember paying $1100 in 1997 dollars to get the Sony ES DVD player. So the UB820 doesn't feel so bad.
Spizz and COACH2369 like this.

jeahrens is offline  
post #17399 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 3,023
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2372 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjones View Post
My apologies to FURUI. There is nothing wrong with these cables.

This morning I was troubleshooting why I was not getting HDR from my Fire TV. Turned out that I had a HDFURY DIVA connected to the Monitor 2 out of my Marantz 8802a while Monitor 1 was connected to the JVC. The DIVA was configured to give me 1080P out from 4K to drive a wall mounted TV that I use for when I don't want to turn on the projector. When I disconnected it, FireTV gave me HDR as did the UHD players that used the FURUI cables to the Marantz. I thought that the DIVA output (TX1) for 1080P was isolated from all 4K inputs and outputs (TX0) but apparently not so. Not the first problem that the DIVA has caused, but I won't go into that. I will just say that the DIVA will remain disconnected.

No idea why the RIPRO cables apparently were not affected by the DIVA...

So, again the 25 foot FURUI cables work fine for 4k HDR and of course DTM.
That seems more of an issue with the AVR choosing the lowest common denominator resolution, not the Diva.

What I do is use a single HDMI out from my Denon to the Diva. The Diva 4K output is sent to my JVC. The 1080P tone mapped output from the Diva is connected to a Sony 1080P TV. I use the Diva custom EDID for 4K60 BT2020 HDR instead of Automix. This prevents the Denon from seeing the 1080P TV and telling players that 4K is not supported. I can view content on either or both simultaneously in their proper resolution capabilities.
rjmcinnis likes this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is offline  
post #17400 of 19319 Old 10-10-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,528
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7104 Post(s)
Liked: 8433
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Well the UB820/9000 still does an excellent job upscaling. I remember paying $1100 in 1997 dollars to get the Sony ES DVD player. So the UB820 doesn't feel so bad.
I paid $550.00 for my first Blu Ray player ( also a Panasonic ). Which stung a bit more at the time since buying a Blu Ray player was admitting HD DVD had lost the war.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off