Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 627 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25257Likes

post #18781 of 28752 Old 11-06-2019, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3111 Post(s)
Liked: 1810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

This afternoon I wanted to inspect the lamp compartment on my RS2000. I loosened the small screw that holds the compartment lid closed and as it neared the last turn it fell out. Luckily it landed on one of my theater chairs below and I was able to find it. Originally I had no idea where it went but, only heard it land on the leather seat. Using a flashlight I located it in one of the cracks between the arm and seat cushion.

I think every other JVC projector I have owned that screw would loosen but not physically come out of the lamp compartment cover. Had that screw landed on the floor it could have bounced anywhere and been very tough to find.

Just a heads up to be cautious when it comes time to open that cover.

Regards,
That's kinda "screwy," wouldn't you say? I wonder if it was germane to yours or whether they're all like that. Either way, I'll watch out for it.

(But here's the $64,000 question: "Why were you inspecting the lamp compartment?" [Oh..no, I'm not taking my eye off the ball.]) Nice anecdote and thanks for the post!
alebonau likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18782 of 28752 Old 11-06-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked: 7714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
It doesn't need to roll. That would make it overly complicated. Where is it going to roll to ? At least in my setup it can't roll left or right.
I guess I could build the system I have in mind and then you would see what I am talking about, just another way of moving the lens when you don't want to use it. Nothing would roll without you wanting it to of course, if built right. I myself have been custom woodworking for 37 years, started when I was 10, ya I guess I was the woodworking dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I'm going to have to do the same with Spectrum cable. They bought Time Warner/Brighthouse (who I liked) and my bill has gone up $40 a month over the last couple of years with zero extra services. Each month it now actually goes up .75 to $1.50 for any kind of new fee you can imagine. It feels like such a scam.
Good thing we have a lot of options for TV now......
Bytehoven and Craig Peer like this.
post #18783 of 28752 Old 11-06-2019, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2067 Post(s)
Liked: 1428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Factory settings for SDR in the NX7 look very good to the bare eye and show a low DE. I added "to the eye" because I now don't trust the accuracy of my i1dis3 when it comes to color. I'll have to get it to Tom Huffman for a reference meter calibration.
been quite impressed with SDR eg the blu-ray of "The Pacific" watching at moment, finding the N series are pulling some very good detail some screen shots below... <in spoilers>

Spoiler!
SED <--- Rules likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18784 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2909 Post(s)
Liked: 1992
Quote:
Hi, Archi. It really is. Anyway, Bytehoven and I will be attending an event where the LLDV mod will be pitted against the NX7 with the new DTM. They will be testing both on an un-calibrated NX7.

But I have to say this: after finally getting my own unit dialed in correctly, the NX7 with JVC's Frame Adapt/DTM is putting up the best images I've had here.
How does the LLDV mod work and what would I need to be able to use it myself? PM me if easier.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
"Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
post #18785 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
How does the LLDV mod work and what would I need to be able to use it myself? PM me if easier.
https://www.avforums.com/threads/dol...s-yes.2254350/
@Bytehoven has started a separate thread to report on his findings

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Aztar35 likes this.
post #18786 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
https://www.avforums.com/threads/dol...s-yes.2254350/
@Bytehoven has started a separate thread to report on his findings

Thanks.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up." Stephen Hawking.
post #18787 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3111 Post(s)
Liked: 1810
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
been quite impressed with SDR eg the blu-ray of "The Pacific" watching at moment, finding the N series are pulling some very good detail some screen shots below... <in spoilers>
Those look great!!! And keep in mind the upscaler in your UB9000 is doing a great job too. I couldn't believe how clean the images from my Panasonic player looked.

Quote:
It's a tone mapping modification advocated by Dave Harper and relies on a player and a coding device like the Vertex. Bytehoven gave it the ol' college try and reported it improved the image. I haven't tested it yet, so I'm not sure whether it's technologically dynamically active, but they would be the ones "in the know."
alebonau likes this.
post #18788 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's a tone mapping modification advocated by Dave Harper and relies on a player and a coding device like the Vertex. Bytehoven gave it the ol' college try and reported it improved the image. I haven't tested it yet, so I'm not sure whether it's technologically dynamically active, but they would be the ones "in the know."
Cheers.

post #18789 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 6834 Post(s)
Liked: 4958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

This afternoon I wanted to inspect the lamp compartment on my RS2000. I loosened the small screw that holds the compartment lid closed and as it neared the last turn it fell out. Luckily it landed on one of my theater chairs below and I was able to find it. Originally I had no idea where it went but, only heard it land on the leather seat. Using a flashlight I located it in one of the cracks between the arm and seat cushion.

I think every other JVC projector I have owned that screw would loosen but not physically come out of the lamp compartment cover. Had that screw landed on the floor it could have bounced anywhere and been very tough to find.

Just a heads up to be cautious when it comes time to open that cover.

Regards,
No worries. There's always duct tape
Ralph Potts likes this.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
post #18790 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked: 1277
Quote:

Hi Archi...

In a nut shell... Dobly has a Dolby Vision (DV) solution for displays which by design lack the processing power to deliver the DV experience. Both Sony and LG have such displays. The particular display, maybe the 1st, was/is the Sony A1 OLED.

The solution was to have the source device provide the DV processing and output an HDR10 signal which has been tone mapped. This process is known as LLDV Player Led DV processing.

TheLLDV capable source devices known so far are:

OPPO 203 and 205 players (not sure about the variants)
Sony x700, x800m2 and x1100es players
Apple TV 4k 32 & 64 streaming boxes

These devices, when connected to the Sony A1 OLED, would enable the Dolby LLDV (player Led) DV processing.

Enter the HDFURY.

As in previous EDID challenged situations, a HDFury Vertex, Vertex2, Diva and Maestro, have the capability to spoof these sources devices to think they are connected to the Sony A1 or other LG displays, depending on which HDfury device you have. The older Vertex has the more limited LLDV support, but it works well enough to support the Sony A1 LLDV EDID on it's two input/output connections. Which I will use with the Sony x800m2 and ATV4K 64.

Now, the consensus at 1st was, the LLDV process might only work with DV mastered content. But it turns out, the DV tone mapping process, also works with HDR10 mastered content. So in both cases, it appears the LLDV process is working frame by frame, establishing a histogram, to process the source and provide an HDR PQ10 (EOTF) compliant output signal, which would work with any HDR10 compliant display OR projector.

In my case with the x990... my setup is the x800m2 -> Vertex -> x990. I set up the x990 with my best st2084 tone map, which is either my ChadB normal or bright custom curve, making it ready to receive the HDR PQ10 signal. With Chad curves active, I then use a DM HDR10 White Clipping pattern to increase Master Contrast on the x990, so that the projector just resolves the 712 bar, just below 1000 nits. This allows me to increase my master contrast from a normal +2 to +12, which significantly increases peak white lumens, while retaining white highlights of the DV and HDR10 content I have tested so far.

The caveat... my ability to increase peak white lumens, is limited to the point where I will actually begin to crush white highlights. I figure my setup with LLDV at +12 master contrast, is similar to the UB820 with the Dynamic Luminance slider at +6, which honestly is enough. I'd also note, while leaving master contrast set at +12 is working with most titles, this process still benefits from some hands on tweaking for some titles, but the tweaking is available and does work, and is not very different compared to adjusting the dynamic luminance slider on the ub820.

I'd note, for any content where the MaxCLL is below 1000 nits, the master contrast can be pushed even further, still preserving white highlights while further increasing peak white lumens.

I'd also note, the x800m2 in DV/LLDV mode, is remapping source content to a 1000nit MaxCCL, not unlike what the ub820 optimizer is doing, while preserving higher nit highlights. This remap is right in the ball park of the x990 st2084 controls and custom curve range.

Bottom line... the image quality using the LLDV hack, is superior to the best I can get with the ub820. The thread linked in my sig, or posted by sky, givens some observation examples.

I may upgrade to the Vertex2 or Diva, just to have access to some of the LLDV macro features missing on the Vertex.
Archibald1 likes this.

JVC DLA-X990 - 128" 2.35 1.3 Gain Screen - Vertex2 - X800M2 - UB820 - ATV4K64 - ROKU Ultra - PS4 - XBone
7.1.4 Atmos - Denon X4300H + Denon 3806(LCR) - JBL Control 5 - BIC Sub - Dayton

Last edited by Bytehoven; 11-07-2019 at 06:59 AM.
post #18791 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I posted this on my Oz site I will post it here as well

10 years ago I have back room with a hole professionally done which projects into my home theatre room. The only problem is the right hand side is close to the wall but the back room is quiet large with plenty of air movement. The projector room is 8m long by 2m wide. The shelf is 600mm side by 700mm depth.

Should it be okay ? Looking at specs projector is 500mm wide.

Should that be fine ? Or should I place projector back into room ?

The specs say projector needs 300mm space on the side to the wall.

Cheers

Just getting ready for tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I would use your port hole and place a non reflective high grade glass there at a slight angle.

I have a room for that purpose and it is quite small but is open to a storage area through my AV rack so it is naturally circulated. My set up is similar to yours with a shelf that is close to the ceiling and another wall on one side.

Here is a close up of where the projector sits. It is shocking how much heat is thrown out the front of the unit and I would not put it any closer than 4-6 inches unless you are very careful. I use a little PC fan with a 12 volt trigger and it moves the hot air out from the front of the unit quite well. On the left side of the unit I have around 8 inches to the wall and I do not feel it getting hot there in any way.

With my first JVC projector the front of the unit was only 2-3 inches from the port hole and I started to notice this strange hazy shadow being swirled onto the screen. I thought it was malfunctioning but after reading I realized I was seeing the heat phase phenomena that is warned about in the JVC user manual. That led me to my current solution and it has not been an issue since. But that projector will heat up that little room quick so be careful.
post #18792 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 8057 Post(s)
Liked: 10652
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

Spoiler!
The Pacific is a great looking Blu-ray set, and a great show. Excellent audio too !
alebonau likes this.
post #18793 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Why Remove DCR lens

Quote:
It is the " port glass " unless I want to be a purist with 16:9 films - it's easily removable. And I do remove it for 16:9 movies usually. The sensor is a IR extender - best thing ever invented ! You can see it in this over - exposed photo down and right of the lens.
I am just wondering why you need to remove the lens for 16:9 content. I thought Anamorphic D setting was supposed to solve the 16:9 format with the JVC NX series. I understand that for 3D movies it may be necessary but why for just plain 16:9 content?
post #18794 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2439
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf113 View Post
I am just wondering why you need to remove the lens for 16:9 content. I thought Anamorphic D setting was supposed to solve the 16:9 format with the JVC NX series. I understand that for 3D movies it may be necessary but why for just plain 16:9 content?
Craig has the RS4500. The RS4500 hasn't received Dynamic Tone Mapping firmware update which also included the support for the Anamorphic D lens setting.

post #18795 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Because in my case it's easy to do, and then I don't need to re-scale the picture to watch 16:9 through the lens. I can watch it as native 3840 x 2160.
markmon1 likes this.
post #18796 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarlove1999 View Post
Craig has the RS4500. The RS4500 hasn't received Dynamic Tone Mapping firmware update which also included the support for the Anamorphic D lens setting.

But I do have the Lumagen Radiance Pro, so I could re-scale 16:9 with the lens in place.
post #18797 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 2443 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Because in my case it's easy to do, and then I don't need to re-scale the picture to watch 16:9 through the lens. I can watch it as native 3840 x 2160.
Agreed, no reason to throw out resolution and detail if you don't have to.
Killroy likes this.

post #18798 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Now that the Frame Adapt HDR feature in firmware 3.10 has been out for about a month, has anyone found any good reviews on it? Sadly, I haven't been able to find any reviews.

God bless...

Warren

Audio Equipment: Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 (Dolby Atmos and DTS:X) and Emotiva BasX A-700
Speakers: Dual HSU VTF-2 MK5 Subwoofers, JBL Stage Series A135C (LCR), Fluance Signature Series Hi-Fi Bipolar Speakers and RLS C34E Height Speakers.
Video Equipment: Dark Energy Abyss 120" Screen, JVC DLA-RS1000, Panasonic UB820 and 2019 nVidia Shield TV Pro.
post #18799 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
And I usually watch nothing but scope movies for days or 16:9 content for days anyway. But since the lens is literally at eye level, it's easy enough to remove. I don't care so much for the convenience of leaving it in place as having the best picture possible. I tend to like playing the role of projectionist running a ( tiny ) theater anyway. Also, I like to play being a sommalier - sometimes in the theater too !
deltagamma and skylarlove1999 like this.
post #18800 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreelsw View Post
Now that the Frame Adapt HDR feature in firmware 3.10 has been out for about a month, has anyone found any good reviews on it? Sadly, I haven't been able to find any reviews.

God bless...

Warren
Plenty of real world feedback in this thread and this one: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...rojectors.html

Synopsis is that it's excellent and for many it's providing the best 4K picture we've seen.
wreelsw likes this.

post #18801 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Quoted: 14048 Post(s)
Liked: 11722
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I guess I could build the system I have in mind and then you would see what I am talking about, just another way of moving the lens when you don't want to use it. Nothing would roll without you wanting it to of course, if built right. I myself have been custom woodworking for 37 years, started when I was 10, ya I guess I was the woodworking dork

Good thing we have a lot of options for TV now......
The DCR is a compression lens. If you move it, the image will no longer fit your screen. You would have to reduce the image size. So you would need to use lens memory also.
post #18802 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Quote:
I still cringe when I see fixed lens set-ups and I think about how we have gotten to the point where we have these gorgeous 4k projectors and people are happy with throwing away 20% of their 4k resolution when watching 16:9 content.
stef2, jeahrens and deltagamma like this.
post #18803 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

God bless...

Warren

This review was updated to include information on the Frame Adapt HDR.
https://www.avforums.com/reviews/jvc...r-review.15860
wreelsw and johnfusco like this.
post #18804 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
And I usually watch nothing but scope movies for days or 16:9 content for days anyway. But since the lens is literally at eye level, it's easy enough to remove. I don't care so much for the convenience of leaving it in place as having the best picture possible. I tend to like playing the role of projectionist running a ( tiny ) theater anyway. Also, I like to play being a sommalier - sometimes in the theater too !
So what do you like to serve your quests? I understand now. I thought there was some issue with the DCR lens as i will be setting up a RS2000 with DCR lens once my theater is done (hopefully before Thanksgiving).
post #18805 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Bottom line... the image quality using the LLDV hack, is superior to the best I can get with the ub820. The thread linked in my sig, or posted by sky, givens some observation examples.
I've been keeping up with the other thread. In your initial observations there were some titles that the Panasonic handled better and some LLDV did. Was it just experimentation that led to you determining LLDV was better in all cases? For other projectors or JVC projectors without a custom gamma curve would this solution be as effective? Are you finding that most titles need no tweaking once the base settings are determined? Is it working well with titles without metadata and DV (sorry if this was answered and I missed it)?

I'm mostly curious about how much benefit this has for projectors that don't have custom gamma curves available and how much tweaking is involved. Seems like something that could have big benefits in those cases.

post #18806 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Plenty of real world feedback in this thread and this one: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...rojectors.html

Synopsis is that it's excellent and for many it's providing the best 4K picture we've seen.
Thanks. Yes, I've been reading good user reviews in that one. Hopefully, we'll start seeing some official reviews from the respected calibrators in the AV community. Thanks again.
Archibald1 likes this.

Audio Equipment: Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 (Dolby Atmos and DTS:X) and Emotiva BasX A-700
Speakers: Dual HSU VTF-2 MK5 Subwoofers, JBL Stage Series A135C (LCR), Fluance Signature Series Hi-Fi Bipolar Speakers and RLS C34E Height Speakers.
Video Equipment: Dark Energy Abyss 120" Screen, JVC DLA-RS1000, Panasonic UB820 and 2019 nVidia Shield TV Pro.
post #18807 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. Yes, I've been reading good user reviews in that one. Hopefully, we'll start seeing some official reviews from the respected calibrators in the AV community. Thanks again.
I think the fact that this is something added to an existing product has kept it off the professional radar. They seem more concerned with reviewing new products. Though Kris Deering has weighed in on it with some very positive comments. So it's not been entirely overlooked. Might be a few others I'm not recalling too.
wreelsw likes this.

post #18808 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I think the fact that this is something added to an existing product has kept it off the professional radar. They seem more concerned with reviewing new products.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. It's a shame too, cause the Frame Adapt HDR feature is a big deal and a game changer, in my opinion, at least.
jeahrens and Archibald1 like this.

post #18809 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

God bless...

Warren
Quote:

Indeed. I think it would be nice for the pro's to go back to their reviews and update them for the new Sony and JVC firmware.
jeahrens and wreelsw like this.

post #18810 of 28752 Old 11-07-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
So what do you like to serve your quests? I understand now. I thought there was some issue with the DCR lens as i will be setting up a RS2000 with DCR lens once my theater is done (hopefully before Thanksgiving).
Depends. If I feel like splurging, Brunello or Barolo. But my guests bring plenty of local Zinfandels to drink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	623.5 KB
ID:	2637714   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0718.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	961.0 KB
ID:	2637716  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement