Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 646 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18919Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19351 of 20842 Old 11-18-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SirMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,013
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoochie View Post
I don't have a deep knowledge of what these mean, so for a novice like me can I get some help on these questions please?

- For SDR content I am using Natural. Should I choose BT709 or BT2020?
- For HDR I am using Frame Adapt HDR, frame by frame. Should I set the cinema filter to Normal or Wide?
- I feel Low lamp is sufficient for SDR content. Do you guys use High Lamp for HDR and 3D or do you feel low lamp is good enough for those as well and will save the lamp longer?
- Should I turn on Eco mode on the projector?

EDIT:

Few more questions:

-Do you use Manual, Auto 1 or Auto 2 for SDR, HDR and 3D.
-Gamma - 2.2 or 2.4?

Granted I have not calibrated. I also have a complete bat cave viewing situation and total light control.

Thanks!
BT709 for SDR is probably best.

Cinema Filter set to Wide is best if you don't mind it being a little dimmer.

Low lamp is probably sufficient for SDR for most people.

For 3D most likely high lamp. For HDR it may depend on your setup for how much brightness you need. Though optimally you would use high bulb and close the iris down more which will gain you more native contrast.

Seems like Most people like Auto 2 iris? Some use Auto 1 and some choose to disable it with manual.

Gamma 2.2 or 2.4 seems to be personal preference. You can do Gamma 2.3 as well by doing a custom gamma with a 2.3 gamma correction value. If you don't calibrate your JVC then you will likely get some gamma droop and a higher gamma would compensate for that which is why some people might prefer a higher gamma.
SirMaster is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19352 of 20842 Old 11-18-2019, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,919
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
Either way is a hassle as my dealer is interstate, I was hoping that JVC may offer a quicker solution.

I am confident that I will always be covered just trying to prove the fault exists is the difficult part.
mine is an interstate dealer, dont believe that really matters. and have had quick and easy resolve before. jvc au are not really setup to be dealing with public in my experience so not sure what success will have that route. best suggestion would be to deal direct with your dealer. I dont know who they are. if they are the turkeys that sell online good luck in that too as they are close to hopeless from direct feedback have had from folks dealing and this seems regardless of brand. either ways wish well for a hopefully speedy resolve.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #19353 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 06:32 AM
Senior Member
 
scoochie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: California
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
BT709 for SDR is probably best.

Cinema Filter set to Wide is best if you don't mind it being a little dimmer.

Low lamp is probably sufficient for SDR for most people.

For 3D most likely high lamp. For HDR it may depend on your setup for how much brightness you need. Though optimally you would use high bulb and close the iris down more which will gain you more native contrast.

Seems like Most people like Auto 2 iris? Some use Auto 1 and some choose to disable it with manual.

Gamma 2.2 or 2.4 seems to be personal preference. You can do Gamma 2.3 as well by doing a custom gamma with a 2.3 gamma correction value. If you don't calibrate your JVC then you will likely get some gamma droop and a higher gamma would compensate for that which is why some people might prefer a higher gamma.

Thank you kindly SirMaster. I will set accordingly. When you say "close the iris down", does that mean to put negative numbers on the aperture and set it to 'Manual'. How do I close the iris down? I will also try Auto 2. I will play with the Gamma setting and try 2.3. So far I seem to like 2.4.

Also, should I turn on Eco mode on the projector?

On another note - I noticed also when trying to zoom for my 2.35:1 screen, at the distance I have my projector, I can't fill the whole screen unless I also use the "Zoom" aspect. Quality wise I don't notice any difference. I guess I have no other choice since I can't move my projector's distance. Any thoughts on this?
scoochie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19354 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,537
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5494 Post(s)
Liked: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoochie View Post
Also, should I turn on Eco mode on the projector?
Nah, leave ECO off I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoochie View Post
On another note - I noticed also when trying to zoom for my 2.35:1 screen, at the distance I have my projector, I can't fill the whole screen unless I also use the "Zoom" aspect. Quality wise I don't notice any difference. I guess I have no other choice since I can't move my projector's distance. Any thoughts on this?
I use zoom for scope content also. It provides more light since it uses the whole panel. I don't notice any loss in quality. I'd say no worries there.
Craig Peer likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #19355 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,537
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5494 Post(s)
Liked: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
Did you figure out what was causing the issue? I am having the same issue with my X790 with 300 hrs on the projector. I am pretty sure this is a new issue and don’t recall seeing this in the past.

I emailed my dealer and JVC and will wait to hear back from them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
Hi All,

I have just over 100hrs now on my N7 and while it does throw a great picture I have this Dirty screen effect when the image is predominantly white. I've attached 2 photos which show the issue and I am hoping someone will be able to tell me what I can do to fix this issue. Generally when watching movies or playing games it is not noticeable however, it is very noticeable when I am using my PC and browsing the internet.

Thanks in Advance

Scott
My thinking is that JVC is going to think those are probably within spec and you guys are just "picky forum users". Sorry, but those images look an order of magnitude better than if you showed the same thing on a Sony 4K projector.

Just to make sure, are either of you using zone convergence? Those are the types of artifacts that zone convergence causes.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #19356 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
coxy2416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 920
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
Did you figure out what was causing the issue? I am having the same issue with my X790 with 300 hrs on the projector. I am pretty sure this is a new issue and don’️t recall seeing this in the past.

I emailed my dealer and JVC and will wait to hear back from them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
Hi All,

I have just over 100hrs now on my N7 and while it does throw a great picture I have this Dirty screen effect when the image is predominantly white. I've attached 2 photos which show the issue and I am hoping someone will be able to tell me what I can do to fix this issue. Generally when watching movies or playing games it is not noticeable however, it is very noticeable when I am using my PC and browsing the internet.

Thanks in Advance

Scott
My thinking is that JVC is going to think those are probably within spec and you guys are just "picky forum users". Sorry, but those images look an order of magnitude better than if you showed the same thing on a Sony 4K projector.

Just to make sure, are either of you using zone convergence? Those are the types of artifacts that zone convergence causes.
I will double check on the zone convergence tonight but I am 99% sure it is not the case for my projector.

Just heard back from my JVC contact and he said that he hasn’t seen anything like that before and would like the projector brought in for evaluation.

And I am not sure that seeing something like this is normal operation of the projector. It is visible watching certain content and not just on Window desktop screens.
Archibald1 likes this.
coxy2416 is offline  
post #19357 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 07:25 AM
Senior Member
 
scoochie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: California
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Nah, leave ECO off I'd say.



I use zoom for scope content also. It provides more light since it uses the whole panel. I don't notice any loss in quality. I'd say no worries there.
Good to know. I thought I read somewhere on this thread that the Zoom aspect doesn't work for 3D? Any truth to that?
scoochie is offline  
post #19358 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,963
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6868 Post(s)
Liked: 6869
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
im on my third generation of jvc in ownership and main reason i stick with buying off retailers that stand by you. its up to them to go into bat for your with jvc au.
That is true, but different countries have different laws. You are kinda stuck with what is offered and how it is offered.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #19359 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
coxy2416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 920
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
Did you figure out what was causing the issue? I am having the same issue with my X790 with 300 hrs on the projector. I am pretty sure this is a new issue and don’️t recall seeing this in the past.

I emailed my dealer and JVC and will wait to hear back from them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
Hi All,

I have just over 100hrs now on my N7 and while it does throw a great picture I have this Dirty screen effect when the image is predominantly white. I've attached 2 photos which show the issue and I am hoping someone will be able to tell me what I can do to fix this issue. Generally when watching movies or playing games it is not noticeable however, it is very noticeable when I am using my PC and browsing the internet.

Thanks in Advance

Scott
My thinking is that JVC is going to think those are probably within spec and you guys are just "picky forum users". Sorry, but those images look an order of magnitude better than if you showed the same thing on a Sony 4K projector.

Just to make sure, are either of you using zone convergence? Those are the types of artifacts that zone convergence causes.
I will double check on the zone convergence tonight but I am 99% sure it is not the case for my projector.

Just heard back from my JVC contact and he said that he hasn’t seen anything like that before and would like the projector brought in for evaluation.

And I am not sure that seeing something like this is normal operation of the projector. It is visible watching certain content and not just on Window desktop screens.
Are you saying that this would be normal on a Sony projector? Seems really odd that it would be.

Is there anything else that could cause this other then zone convergence that I will check on tonight.

Thinking back I believe I did a whole adjust and shifted one of the colours. Is that what your talking about?

Either way I guess I better double check.

Last edited by coxy2416; 11-19-2019 at 08:12 AM.
coxy2416 is offline  
post #19360 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SirMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,013
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoochie View Post
Thank you kindly SirMaster. I will set accordingly. When you say "close the iris down", does that mean to put negative numbers on the aperture and set it to 'Manual'. How do I close the iris down? I will also try Auto 2. I will play with the Gamma setting and try 2.3. So far I seem to like 2.4.

Also, should I turn on Eco mode on the projector?

On another note - I noticed also when trying to zoom for my 2.35:1 screen, at the distance I have my projector, I can't fill the whole screen unless I also use the "Zoom" aspect. Quality wise I don't notice any difference. I guess I have no other choice since I can't move my projector's distance. Any thoughts on this?
Yes, set the iris to manual and set it to a negative value to increase the native contrast. This value will also be used as the maximum iris position when using Auto 1 or Auto 2. So make sure that you are happy with the brightness that you set the iris to manually. So yes technically using high bulb and closing the iris down will give you a better looking picture. The downside is the bulb will wear out faster, and the projector will be louder and throw off more heat. As far as the auto iris, Auto 1 is more aggressive than Auto 2.

In my experience, most of these JVC gamma droop down to close to 2.0 pretty regularly (even after only 100 hours or so), so if you are not calibrating, 2.4 gamma may be close to 2.2 gamma which is what I use on my JVC, (calibrated 2.2 gamma).

Eco as far as I know just controls whether the projector stays active on the network when powered off. Turning Eco on I think will make the projector unresponsive to LAN control when it's powered off and save a bit of idle power.

Zoom has the benefit of more light output and a larger image (if you are so constrained by throw distance). I am throw distance constrained so I always use Zoom, plus I like the additional brightness.

There is scaling going on in Zoom of course, but the effect on the 4K picture is pretty negligible IMO. I know several people on here also like to use the Zoom mode. The scaling isn't really any different than people who are scaling to use anamorphic lenses too and lots of people do that.
Dominic Chan likes this.
SirMaster is online now  
post #19361 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 09:01 AM
Member
 
rjmcinnis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sin City
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I would, why did you get whole home surge protection if you are not going to use it/trust it. I mean, sure, nothing is full proof but if you are talking about surge protecting everything twice, most people do not even do it at all You can always add it later if need be. Not to mention you pay for home owners insurance right, well some of these polices cover surge so you may already be protected twice, watch that deducible though.....
And really, it's THREE surge protectors, since the UPS he mentioned also has surge protection. Seems WAY over the top to me?

Media Room: 7.1.4 Receiver- Lexicon RV-9 Atmos Amp- Emotiva A-500 Speakers- Revel 228Be/C208/S16/C763 Subwoofer- SVS SB-3000 Projector- JVC NX-7
rjmcinnis is offline  
post #19362 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 7,380
Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5235 Post(s)
Liked: 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Zoom has the benefit of more light output and a larger image (if you are so constrained by throw distance). I am throw distance constrained so I always use Zoom, plus I like the additional brightness.
Strictly speaking, with zoom you can either get the extra brightness or the extra size, but not both

JVC DLA-NX7; Denon AVR-X3400H; HD Fury Vertex; ATV4K; Fire TV Cube
JVC Projector Bright Curves; Optimizing HDR;
Creating a basic HDR curve using Arve’s Tool;
Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #19363 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 09:13 AM
Senior Member
 
scoochie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: California
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Yes, set the iris to manual and set it to a negative value to increase the native contrast. This value will also be used as the maximum iris position when using Auto 1 or Auto 2. So make sure that you are happy with the brightness that you set the iris to manually. So yes technically using high bulb and closing the iris down will give you a better looking picture. The downside is the bulb will wear out faster, and the projector will be louder and throw off more heat. As far as the auto iris, Auto 1 is more aggressive than Auto 2.

In my experience, most of these JVC gamma droop down to close to 2.0 pretty regularly (even after only 100 hours or so), so if you are not calibrating, 2.4 gamma may be close to 2.2 gamma which is what I use on my JVC, (calibrated 2.2 gamma).

Eco as far as I know just controls whether the projector stays active on the network when powered off. Turning Eco on I think will make the projector unresponsive to LAN control when it's powered off and save a bit of idle power.

Zoom has the benefit of more light output and a larger image (if you are so constrained by throw distance). I am throw distance constrained so I always use Zoom, plus I like the additional brightness.

There is scaling going on in Zoom of course, but the effect on the 4K picture is pretty negligible IMO. I know several people on here also like to use the Zoom mode. The scaling isn't really any different than people who are scaling to use anamorphic lenses too and lots of people do that.
Thanks again for the info!
- I will end up sticking with Gamma 2.4 for now since I'm not calibrating.
- Eco mode I'll keep at the default off for now.
- As for Aspect Zoom providing extra brightness, would you use it for other aspects like 16:9, 1.85:1 even if you are not throw constrained? Currently I am not using it for any other aspects except for 2.35:1 and above. Also will this Zoom aspect feature work for 2.35:1 and above 3D content? I haven't been able to test yet as I'm still waiting for my 3D emitter and glasses to arrive.
scoochie is offline  
post #19364 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SirMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,013
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoochie View Post
Thanks again for the info!
- I will end up sticking with Gamma 2.4 for now since I'm not calibrating.
- Eco mode I'll keep at the default off for now.
- As for Aspect Zoom providing extra brightness, would you use it for other aspects like 16:9, 1.85:1 even if you are not throw constrained? Currently I am not using it for any other aspects except for 2.35:1 and above. Also will this Zoom aspect feature work for 2.35:1 and above 3D content? I haven't been able to test yet as I'm still waiting for my 3D emitter and glasses to arrive.
Oh yeah I forgot, Zoom does not work with 3D.

And if you are not throw constrained I would probably not use it for 16:9. For 1.85:1 though yes that should be good still.
SirMaster is online now  
post #19365 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 09:17 AM
Senior Member
 
scoochie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: California
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Strictly speaking, with zoom you can either get the extra brightness or the extra size, but not both
Excuse my novice knowledge, but with Zoom don't you get the extra size and people are saying it gives you extra brightness of the full panel as well? Is that not true that you get both? I'm confused now.
scoochie is offline  
post #19366 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
coxy2416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 920
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
Did you figure out what was causing the issue? I am having the same issue with my X790 with 300 hrs on the projector. I am pretty sure this is a new issue and don’️t recall seeing this in the past.

I emailed my dealer and JVC and will wait to hear back from them.
Not yet. I have Emailed JVC and supplied my photos but JVC Australia are hopeless so I am not holding my breath. I will give it a couple more days and then escalate it to JVC global to see if they can help me.

I really didn't want to go with JVC again as they are a nightmare to deal with here in Australia but unfortunately no other projector ticks all the boxes for me so I had to test my luck and unfortunately it hasn't paid off.
Just an updated:

Heard from JVC first thing this morning and after looking at the picture I supplied he said that he didn’t think it looks like a regular shading uniformity and would like the projector in for evaluation.

I plan to drop off the projector next Monday and will let you know the outcome once they diagnose it. Hopefully it’s an easy fix.

The unit is currently very sharp, has no bright corners and a quiet eShift. Hopefully what ever the fix is doesn’t mess any of that up.

Fantastic customer service and a quick response from JVC Mississauga!
coxy2416 is offline  
post #19367 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SirMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,013
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoochie View Post
Excuse my novice knowledge, but with Zoom don't you get the extra size and people are saying it gives you extra brightness of the full panel as well? Is that not true that you get both? I'm confused now.
It depends on what you classify as brightness.

You get more lumens when using zoom always, but if you just press the zoom button, the foot lamberts of the image doesn't change, it just gets larger. But then if you zoom the larger image back down to fit your screen, you increase the foot lamberts.
Dominic Chan likes this.
SirMaster is online now  
post #19368 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ERuiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 1,605
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Guys, what would be the best UHD Bluray player to get right now, to pair up with a NX7?

I know many will say the Oppo 203, but besides the Oppo, which one is the go-to UHD Bluray player that compliments the NX7 and it's DTM feature.

Eventually, the Oppo will no longer be supported and updated, so I want the next best thing that will have better support in the future.

JVC DLA-NX7 / 125" 2.40:1 Stewart StudioTek 100 / Denon AVR-X4300H / Klipsch RP-280F (L/R) / Klipsch RP-450C / Klipsch RP-150M (x4) / Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos) / HSU VTF-3 MK5 DualDrive / Apple TV 4K / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro / Logitech Harmony Elite
ERuiz is offline  
post #19369 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 10:13 AM
Senior Member
 
scoochie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: California
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Oh yeah I forgot, Zoom does not work with 3D.

And if you are not throw constrained I would probably not use it for 16:9. For 1.85:1 though yes that should be good still.
So, since I have to use Zoom for anamorphic material due to throw contraints, what are the suggestions for anamorphic 3D movies? Is there no other solution since Zoom won't work?
scoochie is offline  
post #19370 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 25,277
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4478 Post(s)
Liked: 3404
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post
Guys, what would be the best UHD Bluray player to get right now, to pair up with a NX7?

I know many will say the Oppo 203, but besides the Oppo, which one is the go-to UHD Bluray player that compliments the NX7 and it's DTM feature.

Eventually, the Oppo will no longer be supported and updated, so I want the next best thing that will have better support in the future.
The Panasonic 420 seems to be well-liked.
ERuiz and skylarlove1999 like this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
Josh Z is online now  
post #19371 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 11:10 AM
Member
 
CyberPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoochie View Post
So, since I have to use Zoom for anamorphic material due to throw contraints, what are the suggestions for anamorphic 3D movies? Is there no other solution since Zoom won't work?
No solution for 2.35:1 3D movies, you must see them without filling the whole screen
CyberPaul is offline  
post #19372 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
scoochie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: California
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPaul View Post
No solution for 2.35:1 3D movies, you must see them without filling the whole screen
That is really unfortunate that I can't fill my whole screen. Hoping that maybe through some future firmware upgrade the Zoom aspect could be fixed to work with 3D content.

Last edited by scoochie; 11-19-2019 at 11:26 AM.
scoochie is offline  
post #19373 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 12:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Bullitt5094's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Or buy a 2.35:1 Screen.
Bullitt5094 is offline  
post #19374 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 12:36 PM
Senior Member
 
scoochie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: California
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt5094 View Post
Or buy a 2.35:1 Screen.
I'm confused...I do have a 2.35:1 screen. When trying to zoom out anamorphic movies, my throw ratio doesn't allow it to fill the whole screen so I have to use the Zoom aspect and that works. But since I was told the Zoom aspect doesn't work in 3D, it looks like my 3D anamorphic movies will be smaller than the size of my screen. I didn't have this issue on the Sony Projector I am coming from. But with the better blacks and HDR I will have to live with this limitation.

Last edited by scoochie; 11-19-2019 at 01:25 PM.
scoochie is offline  
post #19375 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 12:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I asked my original question in another thread, but I thought it would also be helpful to seek advice from owners of the JVCs.

My wife and I visited an AV dealer the other night for the purpose of comparing Sony to JVC. This dealer had a 295ES and NX9 setup for viewing. Prior to the following experience, I was sure from my research I'd be purchasing an NX7....

While watching a recorded TNF Football game (DirecTV 4k), the fast motion viewed on the NX9 was awful, choppy/jittery. When the same programming was viewed on the 295ES, the fast motion was smooth and realistic. I was shocked that an $18,000 MSRP JVC would have such poor quality as it relates to sports or other fast motion programming, where the $5,000 Sony was immensely better. When I inquired directly to the salesperson he replied, "the Sony's have always had better video processing than the JVC's. Now, the mid range 695ES is my best seller and that is what I would highly recommend for you. That being said, I believe the AVR and HDMI cables hooked up to the NX9 are a bit dated and the DirecTV signal is split many times in our store. You may have a different experience with JVC at home."

I believe I have very sharp/sensitive eyes, but even my wife has admittedly bad vision commented that if we bought the JVC and Football or other sports looked like it did in the store, she would return it immediately. I also noted that the salesperson was trying to push the 695ES for much of the visit.

A few questions to consider:
1. For those of you who watch sports on their JVC, what is your experience? Did I just get unlucky in mine?
2. Is the video processing that much better on the Sony's that fast motion is perfectly processed whereas, in my opinion, unwatchable on the JVC's?
3. Were there settings on this particular NX9 that may have been inappropriate for viewing of sports content?
4. Is it possible the dated AVR and lesser quality HDMI cables would be a contributing factor?
5. For 70% movie viewing and 30% TV/Sports either streamed on 300/300 internet or viewed locally via OTA antenna, should I be purchasing a 695ES over the NX7?

If my specific questions aren't guiding enough, I guess my main question is, how "real" was my one time experience based on what you owners see on a day to day basis? This will be my first projector purchase and I want to make sure I'm buying the right unit for my situation.
Archie Bunker is offline  
post #19376 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 7,380
Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5235 Post(s)
Liked: 2059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker View Post
3. Were there settings on this particular NX9 that may have been inappropriate for viewing of sports content?
There’s a setting called C.M.D. (Clear Motion Drive) that interpolates the frames to make motion smoother. The manual recommends setting it to High for viewing sports.

JVC DLA-NX7; Denon AVR-X3400H; HD Fury Vertex; ATV4K; Fire TV Cube
JVC Projector Bright Curves; Optimizing HDR;
Creating a basic HDR curve using Arve’s Tool;
Replacing JVC Bare Bulbs
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #19377 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
scoochie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: California
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Is there a resource link for discreet remote control codes that I can use in irule to control the RS2000 projector. I want to make buttons that directly switch from Natural to Frame Adapt and my custom User 1 (which I can use for 3D).
scoochie is offline  
post #19378 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 02:01 PM
Member
 
Squidjammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
Just an updated:

Heard from JVC first thing this morning and after looking at the picture I supplied he said that he didn’t think it looks like a regular shading uniformity and would like the projector in for evaluation.

I plan to drop off the projector next Monday and will let you know the outcome once they diagnose it. Hopefully it’s an easy fix.

The unit is currently very sharp, has no bright corners and a quiet eShift. Hopefully what ever the fix is doesn’t mess any of that up.

Fantastic customer service and a quick response from JVC Mississauga!
Will be interesting to hear what they say. I have not heard back from JVC yet or my Dealer but I am sure I will hear something eventually.

I am not using any zone correction at all and the yellow blob gets worse as I close the iris so I am wondering if it is iris related??
Squidjammer is offline  
post #19379 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 4,335
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2261 Post(s)
Liked: 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker View Post
I asked my original question in another thread, but I thought it would also be helpful to seek advice from owners of the JVCs.

My wife and I visited an AV dealer the other night for the purpose of comparing Sony to JVC. This dealer had a 295ES and NX9 setup for viewing. Prior to the following experience, I was sure from my research I'd be purchasing an NX7....

While watching a recorded TNF Football game (DirecTV 4k), the fast motion viewed on the NX9 was awful, choppy/jittery. When the same programming was viewed on the 295ES, the fast motion was smooth and realistic. I was shocked that an $18,000 MSRP JVC would have such poor quality as it relates to sports or other fast motion programming, where the $5,000 Sony was immensely better. When I inquired directly to the salesperson he replied, "the Sony's have always had better video processing than the JVC's. Now, the mid range 695ES is my best seller and that is what I would highly recommend for you. That being said, I believe the AVR and HDMI cables hooked up to the NX9 are a bit dated and the DirecTV signal is split many times in our store. You may have a different experience with JVC at home."

I believe I have very sharp/sensitive eyes, but even my wife has admittedly bad vision commented that if we bought the JVC and Football or other sports looked like it did in the store, she would return it immediately. I also noted that the salesperson was trying to push the 695ES for much of the visit.

A few questions to consider:
1. For those of you who watch sports on their JVC, what is your experience? Did I just get unlucky in mine?
2. Is the video processing that much better on the Sony's that fast motion is perfectly processed whereas, in my opinion, unwatchable on the JVC's?
3. Were there settings on this particular NX9 that may have been inappropriate for viewing of sports content?
4. Is it possible the dated AVR and lesser quality HDMI cables would be a contributing factor?
5. For 70% movie viewing and 30% TV/Sports either streamed on 300/300 internet or viewed locally via OTA antenna, should I be purchasing a 695ES over the NX7?

If my specific questions aren't guiding enough, I guess my main question is, how "real" was my one time experience based on what you owners see on a day to day basis? This will be my first projector purchase and I want to make sure I'm buying the right unit for my situation.
The motion handling on the NX lineup has been widely regarded as very good to excellent. Apples to apples no motion enhancements enabled I've not heard of the NX being inferior to the Sony. My guess is that the Sony had the motion handling turned up and the JVC didn't.

Honestly the 695ES is more of a competitor to the NX5 despite the price difference.

NX7 pros vs. the 695 ES:

- About 2-3 times more native contrast, better dynamic contrast as well
- BT2020 filter for more 4K UHD color coverage
- Around 500-700 more usable lumens
- Better processing, the NX7 can resolve 4K to the single pixel level where the 695ES can't
- Dynamic Tone Mapping of 4K HDR material, this is truly a game changer for 4K material

695ES Pros:

- Sony Reality Creation may add detail you like

There was also a shootout in this thread in Colorado of forum members that watched the Sony 295/695 and JVC NX lineup. All were calibrated, in the same controlled environment and the same room/screen. JVC was the winner. And that was before they implemented the DTM firmware. Which is a substantial leap over the Sony.
rjmcinnis likes this.


Last edited by jeahrens; 11-19-2019 at 02:27 PM.
jeahrens is offline  
post #19380 of 20842 Old 11-19-2019, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
coxy2416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 920
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
Just an updated:

Heard from JVC first thing this morning and after looking at the picture I supplied he said that he didn’️t think it looks like a regular shading uniformity and would like the projector in for evaluation.

I plan to drop off the projector next Monday and will let you know the outcome once they diagnose it. Hopefully it’️s an easy fix.

The unit is currently very sharp, has no bright corners and a quiet eShift. Hopefully what ever the fix is doesn’️t mess any of that up.

Fantastic customer service and a quick response from JVC Mississauga!
Will be interesting to hear what they say. I have not heard back from JVC yet or my Dealer but I am sure I will hear something eventually.

I am not using any zone correction at all and the yellow blob gets worse as I close the iris so I am wondering if it is iris related??
I am not a JVC tech but I would be surprised if it was iris related.

It’s isolated to one area of the screen on my projector so I don’t think the iris would be causing it.

I want to have another quick look at my settings and see if I am using any zone conversion. It has to be a Recent issue as I am sure I would have caught this when initially calibrating the unit.

JVC customer service in my area is excellent but still 2 hours away. This will also be the third time I’ve had a projector their so not ideal. I’ve had 2 DI issue and now this.

Last edited by coxy2416; 11-19-2019 at 02:27 PM.
coxy2416 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx5 , nx7 , nx9 , rs1000 , rs2000 , rs3000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off