Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 926 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25080Likes

post #27751 of 28509 Old 05-30-2020, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4402 Post(s)
Liked: 8046
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
I do not use the Auto DI on my NX5 as personally it causes too many picture artifacts for me. I run my NX5 at -10 manual iris which gets me about 30K:1 native contrast and about 1250 lumens, which is about 80 nits on my 140" screen.
I do not use the dynamic iris either. It does help contrast, but since I am always evaluating different things (mainly tone mapping lately), I don't want to mistake DI artifacts for something else. For my NX9, I am getting about 30K:1 running wide open with the filter in place for my 140" scope screen (I get about 101 nits full field and 110 nits when measured with a 10% window), but I have a DCR lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The light engine in the RS2000/NX7 is different from the light engine in the RS1000/NX5. Also the RS2000/NX7 has a dual iris system.

The filter just gives the RS2000/NX7 a wider color space. Does not hurt sharpness. Filter would actually give a little more pop on scenes that use the wider color space, not tone down HDR. The filter does cost you around 7% to 10% light output. Most RS2000/NX7 owners use the filter with HDR.
I think there have been some changes to the filter over the life of the new line (or variances in production). When I got the first NX9 in for review, I was measuring about a 5-7% loss in light with it in line (I praised this in the review). I was also seeing nearly perfect coverage of P3. Since I am a calibrator I have measured A LOT of these since they've come out (and I own a NX9 that is NOT the unit I reviewed). Now I am consistently seeing about a 10-15% loss in light with the filter in place and nearly every unit I measure has a hue shift at green that limits P3 coverage to around 96% (the green shift moves cyan in as well). I have measured ONE exception in the last six months! Earlier units didn't seem to have this issue (they would ship with a good green point but red would be pulled in, but this could be fixed with the JVC calibration software).

I've inquired about this with JVC and have given them quite a few screen grabs of the green hue shift. Not much info has come back about it. I've also requested they add a PROFILE OFF WITH FILTER IN PLACE color mode as I can get the entire gamut back when I do the workaround with a PC to temporarily make this work. I know Manni has been asking for this for A LONG time now and found a work around to make it happen with the Vertex, but I don't have one and don't want to add another HDMI box into my video chain at the moment. That may change if this is never addressed by JVC.

My Home Theater UPDATED JUNE 2020
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27752 of 28509 Old 05-30-2020, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2354 Post(s)
Liked: 867
Jaw drop moment

Have not watched a movie in 7-10 days as the weather has been really nice outside...Popped in BadBoys 3 tonight...Good god!! Does the picture get any better??

Walk away for a couple weeks, come back and your jaw will drop all over again...Stunning!

Video:JVC NX7, 125” 2.35 Stewart ST100 Electric, Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b, 25s, Dual SVS SB3000
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
post #27753 of 28509 Old 05-30-2020, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Quoted: 13995 Post(s)
Liked: 11675
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by omarvelous View Post
I'm having problems outputting an image when 2 hdmi cables are plugged in at the same time. Only one of the 2 hdmi ports wants to output an image when both are plugged in.

When i first had the issue, I had 2 of these cables in port 1 & 2 of my projectors going to monitor 1 and monitor 2 output of my receiver.

I like to have one cable for games and one for movies/tv.

After i configured my logitech remote, my projector switches to hdmi 2 for movies, turns on my nvidia shield, and my denon receiver goes to the appropriate hdmi input.

When I would switch to games with my harmony, my projector switches to hdmi 1, turns on my xbox, and receiver input changes. But when I do this, I'm not getting a picture.

When i unplug both cables and switch the JVC hdmi 2 cable into the jvc hdmi 1 port, I get the games image, so i assumed it wasn't an issue w/the projector. I also swapped the cable that was putting out an image into both monitor 1 and 2 ports of my receiver and it was good to go.

So, I assumed it was the ruipro cable plugged initially into hdmi 1 that was the issue.

Today, i received a replacement fiber optic cable, and when i configure everything, I am now not getting any output from my jvc hdmi 1 port.

One strange thing is that when i pull up my denon receiver menu up, it takes about 30 secs but I do get an image from hdmi 1 and 2 at the same time when switching inputs on the jvc remote. Edit: This is not consistent and seem to get output more readily from hdmi 2 when both plugged in. If 1 plugged in at a time, both hdmi 1 and 2 output images.

Just to check, I plugged in the "thought-to-be-defective" ruipro cable back in and i'm getting a good picture.

I had the same setup w/my LG Oled and it worked great.

Do I need to specify which monitor (1 or 2) to utilize on the denon receiver? i don't see an option to do that in logitech and didn't have to do that w/my oled.

Is this a problem with the projector? Am I doing something wrong? I hope this is just user error and It'll sort itself out.
What AVR are you using? What cables are you using? I have seen some of the lower level Denon's have a problem when connected to long HDMI to dual displays.

A better way to do what you are trying to do is use one cable from AVR to projector. If you want different projector settings, just do so and save them. Label one movies and the other games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27754 of 28509 Old 05-30-2020, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 2427
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Have not watched a movie in 7-10 days as the weather has been really nice outside...Popped in BadBoys 3 tonight...Good god!! Does the picture get any better??

Walk away for a couple weeks, come back and your jaw will drop all over again...Stunning!
Bad Boys for Life is some delicious eye candy!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
asharma likes this.
post #27755 of 28509 Old 05-30-2020, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi Folks,

Just received my replacement NX7 (was having random lock up issues), and am going through setting it up. I am curious what your recommendations are for using Clear Motion Drive and Motion Enhance? Right now I have CMD at Low and Motion Enhance Off, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the two, and how to think about them. Appreciate any tips!
post #27756 of 28509 Old 05-30-2020, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
Liked: 1424
Quote:

Haha love it !!!
asharma likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #27757 of 28509 Old 05-30-2020, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
What AVR are you using? What cables are you using? I have seen some of the lower level Denon's have a problem when connected to long HDMI to dual displays.

A better way to do what you are trying to do is use one cable from AVR to projector. If you want different projector settings, just do so and save them. Label one movies and the other games.
Doing a bit of digging, it looks like it's an issue w/denon receiver's and active hdmi cables.

I have a denon x4400h and using ruipro 8k hdmi 2.1 fiberoptic cables. I'll end up returning one of the hdmi cables and create seperate user settings.

Is there a way to import frame adapt's hdr settings into one of the other user labels? I'd like to keep some of these settings for gaming purposes with additional adjustments. When i tried editing user1, i noticed there was not a lot of options that were seen in the frame adapt hdr label.
post #27758 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 02:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
Quoted: 5923 Post(s)
Liked: 6502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I do not use the dynamic iris either. It does help contrast, but since I am always evaluating different things (mainly tone mapping lately), I don't want to mistake DI artifacts for something else. For my NX9, I am getting about 30K:1 running wide open with the filter in place for my 140" scope screen (I get about 101 nits full field and 110 nits when measured with a 10% window), but I have a DCR lens.

I think there have been some changes to the filter over the life of the new line (or variances in production). When I got the first NX9 in for review, I was measuring about a 5-7% loss in light with it in line (I praised this in the review). I was also seeing nearly perfect coverage of P3. Since I am a calibrator I have measured A LOT of these since they've come out (and I own a NX9 that is NOT the unit I reviewed). Now I am consistently seeing about a 10-15% loss in light with the filter in place and nearly every unit I measure has a hue shift at green that limits P3 coverage to around 96% (the green shift moves cyan in as well). I have measured ONE exception in the last six months! Earlier units didn't seem to have this issue (they would ship with a good green point but red would be pulled in, but this could be fixed with the JVC calibration software).

I've inquired about this with JVC and have given them quite a few screen grabs of the green hue shift. Not much info has come back about it. I've also requested they add a PROFILE OFF WITH FILTER IN PLACE color mode as I can get the entire gamut back when I do the workaround with a PC to temporarily make this work. I know Manni has been asking for this for A LONG time now and found a work around to make it happen with the Vertex, but I don't have one and don't want to add another HDMI box into my video chain at the moment. That may change if this is never addressed by JVC.
Hi Kris,

I haven’t tested as many units as you did, but in my experience the brightness loss due to the filter is smaller in high lamp than in low lamp, so the small numbers you mention would fit high lamp, but not low lamp use. I posted all the measurements in the calibration thread. You mention that the new units you evaluated had a filter, so not an explanation, but I think it’s important to clarify this so that those with an early unit using low lamp don’t feel robbed. 5-7% loss only ever applied to high lamp.

Also, the minor red deficiency in P3 at 100% sat in my case (it’s an early unit) isn’t corrected with the Autocal. As long as the unit is properly calibrated, it doesn’t really matter with actual content as very little content reaches the edge of P3.

The profile off with filter on (it’s not the Vertex but Vertex2, Diva and Maestro, details in my sig) helps me get 100% cover in rec-709, but I “only” get 97% of P3, which is fine.

However, besides possibly getting a wider gamut cover, the biggest advantage of profile off when you use a 3D LUT is that there is no gamut compression towards 100% sat, so you can use a 3D LUT even with BT2020 without seeing a lot of posterization at the edge of the gamut. This is by far the biggest advantage, especially if your native gamut covers more than P3.

However, the native gamut (profile off with filter on) tracks P3, not BT2020, so you will need a very large LUT (17x17x17 at minimum, preferably 21x21x21) to make it work.

I’m getting excellent results with profile off / filter on with large LUTs and as a result have stopped using the Autocal (profile off / high bright can’t be autocaled). The Autocal is great when there is no LUT available for some sources, which was my case for all my non-HTPC sources, but the Envy has changed all that.

If you run large verification patches on a JVC color profile, you will see some significant errors due to this gamut compression. JVC needs to fix this, and to deliver a profile off with filter profile ASAP.

The @HDfury workaround is great, but it adds a delay of 5-7 seconds every time the user mode changes (I still use -12 for SDR and iris open for HDR, even if I now use profile off filter on for both), so it’s not ideal. But if you’re using large LUTs, it’s the way to go with the JVCs.

Also, users of the NX5/RS1000 without a filter should definitely use profile off if they use a LUT, as they won’t have the same issue with the filter. The results should be significantly better than with any of the factory profiles, especially with BT2020, though in their case there is no point having a BT2020 calibration (assuming they use a Radiance, Envy or madVR) as they won’t get a larger gamut that way.

For those of you who didn’t understand a word of the above, no worries, the Autocal still works great and gives excellent results if you’re not using a 3D LUT, so keep using it as usual.

I’m only posting this to make sure that JVC delivers a profile off with filter mode in the next f/w revision. We’ve been asking this for ages and there is no reason not to deliver it. Or they need to fix their factory profile and make sure that they are always slightly oversaturated and don’t have that gamut compression at the edge, which makes it difficult to calibrate using 3D LUTs without causing artifacts such as posterization. Some software deal with this better than others, but it’s a cumbersome process.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
JVC Macro feature on Vertex/Vertex2/Integral2/Maestro/Diva

Last edited by Manni01; 05-31-2020 at 05:26 AM.
post #27759 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 02:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 6765 Post(s)
Liked: 4871
Quote:
Originally Posted by avrignaud View Post
Hi Folks,

Just received my replacement NX7 (was having random lock up issues), and am going through setting it up. I am curious what your recommendations are for using Clear Motion Drive and Motion Enhance? Right now I have CMD at Low and Motion Enhance Off, but I'm not sure what the difference is between the two, and how to think about them. Appreciate any tips!
There's no right or wrong answer to this. Use what you prefer. The CMD is the motion interpolation. I use it on high and love it. The Motion Enhance, I think, doesn't do much except add some artifacts occasionally. There will be other people that will tell you to turn off CMD because the movie director wanted jerky motion at 24fps. But that director isn't here, I'll take smooth motion instead.
avrignaud, asharma and johnfusco like this.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
post #27760 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
There's no right or wrong answer to this. Use what you prefer. The CMD is the motion interpolation. I use it on high and love it. The Motion Enhance, I think, doesn't do much except add some artifacts occasionally. There will be other people that will tell you to turn off CMD because the movie director wanted jerky motion at 24fps. But that director isn't here, I'll take smooth motion instead.

Curious question - how is the CMD for gaming????
post #27761 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 03:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Quoted: 6765 Post(s)
Liked: 4871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmonkey View Post
Curious question - how is the CMD for gaming????
Pretty terrible because it adds a ton of lag to enable it. Gaming at 60fps looks pretty good motion wise without it.
avrignaud likes this.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
post #27762 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What price is rs3000?
post #27763 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeprojector View Post
What price is rs3000?
Against forum rules to post street prices. MSRP on the 3000 is $17,999.
skylarlove1999 likes this.
post #27764 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7615 Post(s)
Liked: 7678
Quote:

Just like a fine wine, get better with time, unless you have to many hours on your bulb..... lol
asharma and llang269 like this.
post #27765 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Hi Kris,

I haven’t tested as many units as you did, but in my experience the brightness loss due to the filter is smaller in high lamp than in low lamp, so the small numbers you mention would fit high lamp, but not low lamp use. I posted all the measurements in the calibration thread. You mention that the new units you evaluated had a filter, so not an explanation, but I think it’s important to clarify this so that those with an early unit using low lamp don’t feel robbed. 5-7% loss only ever applied to high lamp.
Good call, I was only talking about high lamp measurements, I should have clarified that. So the marked increase in light loss is in reference to high lamp (it is extremely rare that I have a client that uses low lamp for HDR).

Quote:
Also, the minor red deficiency in P3 at 100% sat in my case (it’s an early unit) isn’t corrected with the Autocal. As long as the unit is properly calibrated, it doesn’t really matter with actual content as very little content reaches the edge of P3.
With newer units I see the deficiencies in red, but it is correctable with the autocal. I think your unit is more like the original one I calibrated. No matter what I do with new units, you cannot restore the green.

Quote:
The profile off with filter on (it’s not the Vertex but Vertex2, Diva and Maestro, details in my sig) helps me get 100% cover in rec-709, but I “only” get 97% of P3, which is fine.

However, besides possibly getting a wider gamut cover, the biggest advantage of profile off when you use a 3D LUT is that there is no gamut compression towards 100% sat, so you can use a 3D LUT even with BT2020 without seeing a lot of posterization at the edge of the gamut. This is by far the biggest advantage, especially if your native gamut covers more than P3.

However, the native gamut (profile off with filter on) tracks P3, not BT2020, so you will need a very large LUT (17x17x17 at minimum, preferably 21x21x21) to make it work.

I’m getting excellent results with profile off / filter on with large LUTs and as a result have stopped using the Autocal (profile off / high bright can’t be autocaled). The Autocal is great when there is no LUT available for some sources, which was my case for all my non-HTPC sources, but the Envy has changed all that.

If you run large verification patches on a JVC color profile, you will see some significant errors due to this gamut compression. JVC needs to fix this, and to deliver a profile off with filter profile ASAP.
I get 97% easily with current units doing things the way I always do. When I tested using Profile OFF with the filter in place (using a PC to send the IP code), I could get just over 100% on my unit.

What software are you using for the LUT generation for 2020 and still getting good results? I would imagine LS as CalMan doesn't work well LUT wise if the measured gamut is below the target.

Quote:
I’m only posting this to make sure that JVC delivers a profile off with filter mode in the next f/w revision. We’ve been asking this for ages and there is no reason not to deliver it. Or they need to fix their factory profile and make sure that they are always slightly oversaturated and don’t have that gamut compression at the edge, which makes it difficult to calibrate using 3D LUTs without causing artifacts such as posterization. Some software deal with this better than others, but it’s a cumbersome process.
I've been pushing on this as much as I can (even had a meeting with the engineers from Japan and mentioned it). Hopefully it will be a reality at some point, but you never know with this stuff.

post #27766 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Hi all I have a question I´m currently using an RS400 PJ with MadVR and almost everything at the higher settings (replaced a 2060 to a 2080 Super and what a difference in PQ I can get).

Considering this would I gain even more PQ changing to a NX7? I read a lot here but can´t seem to find anyone that did the same upgrade using MadVR in both cases.

Thanks.
post #27767 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good call, I was only talking about high lamp measurements, I should have clarified that. So the marked increase in light loss is in reference to high lamp (it is extremely rare that I have a client that uses low lamp for HDR).

With newer units I see the deficiencies in red, but it is correctable with the autocal. I think your unit is more like the original one I calibrated. No matter what I do with new units, you cannot restore the green.

I get 97% easily with current units doing things the way I always do. When I tested using Profile OFF with the filter in place (using a PC to send the IP code), I could get just over 100% on my unit.

What software are you using for the LUT generation for 2020 and still getting good results? I would imagine LS as CalMan doesn't work well LUT wise if the measured gamut is below the target.

I've been pushing on this as much as I can (even had a meeting with the engineers from Japan and mentioned it). Hopefully it will be a reality at some point, but you never know with this stuff.
Thanks for pushing for this, hopefully we’ll get there.

Yes I’m testing Colorspace beta at the moment for LUT generation. Its interface is significantly better than Lightspace, though still cumbersome in places. CM worked great with Lightning LUTs over a good Autocal but I can’t use it with larger LUTs as for some reason it limits my Discus to 2 hours and returns garbage past that window. Hopefully this will be resolved in the next release, as I’ve reported it. At the very least we’ll get. 13x13x13 option that should fit in this window. I use a custom patch set with LS/CS with the darkest patches first, and I have no issues running profiles up to four hour long.

I’m hoping CM’s new LUT engine, expected this summer,improves things as well, as the current engine has its shortcomings.
Kris Deering likes this.

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders

Last edited by Manni01; 05-31-2020 at 11:52 AM.
post #27768 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanchibiris View Post
Hi all I have a question I´m currently using an RS400 PJ with MadVR and almost everything at the higher settings (replaced a 2060 to a 2080 Super and what a difference in PQ I can get).

Considering this would I gain even more PQ changing to a NX7? I read a lot here but can´t seem to find anyone that did the same upgrade using MadVR in both cases.

Thanks.
MadVR is a video processor that will improve things like scaling and tone mapping, but it can't overcome all the shortcomings of a display (regardless of what display it is). So in the case of the NX5 vs the NX7, the NX7 offers a wider color gamut (with the use of the color filter), higher native and dynamic contrast potential and slightly more light output. So ultimately the choice between the two models would be whether those features in particular are worth the extra expense for your viewing needs.

post #27769 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 11:32 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 3354 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
Quote:
LS and CS both work fine with measured gamut smaller than target, it is only the profiles with gamut compression towards the edges that are problematic and there is kind of a workaround for that, but frankly it sucks a little bit... . On the previous gen X5900/7900 that was everything other than profile off; and it sounds like it is still perhaps the case on the new series.

I can't recall if you have LS or CS. In both LS and CS you have two main choices you can make when you generate a LUT for a larger than measured gamut. You can use "Peak chroma" which ensures no hue rotation where the display can't reach the target gamut (at the cost of saturation) or you can you use "map space" which will maintain the saturation but this may result in hue rotation to the gamut edge where the gamut is smaller. I usually use Peak chroma and avoid the hue rotation.
Manni01 likes this.
post #27770 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
LS and CS both work fine with measured gamut smaller than target, it is only the profiles with gamut compression towards the edges that are problematic and there is kind of a workaround for that, but frankly it sucks a little bit... . On the previous gen X5900/7900 that was everything other than profile off; and it sounds like it is still perhaps the case on the new series.

I can't recall if you have LS or CS. In both LS and CS you have two main choices you can make when you generate a LUT for a larger than measured gamut. You can use "Peak chroma" which ensures no hue rotation where the display can't reach the target gamut (at the cost of saturation) or you can you use "map space" which will maintain the saturation but this may result in hue rotation to the gamut edge where the gamut is smaller. I usually use Peak chroma and avoid the hue rotation.
Yes, I also use peak chroma with profile off / filter on on the rs2000.

The other options all give inferior results here, including hybrid and map space.

The gamut concatenation solution you are refering indeed sucks more than a little bit. You need an engineering degree and a few hours to implement it Profile off with filter on is a far better solution, though I wasn’t ready to explore until 1) I had to, which happened when I got the Envy and 2) the filter could be applied automatically when needed, which is now the case thanks to HDFury.
bobof likes this.

post #27771 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post

I have LS and have used the compression solution you allude to (working the RGB values until you see movement I assume?) which is slow and tedious, but can provide good results. I don't think I've tried the other solutions as I don't use LS much. I am interested in their new program and will look into it more at some point.
bobof likes this.

post #27772 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have LS and have used the compression solution you allude to (working the RGB values until you see movement I assume?) which is slow and tedious, but can provide good results. I don't think I've tried the other solutions as I don't use LS much. I am interested in their new program and will look into it more at some point.
Unless I’m mistaken given when you purchased LS (2019) you should be entitled to a free upgrade to CS. There is no reason to wait as the CS beta offers already most of the features of LS, with a much nicer user interface.

post #27773 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 02:00 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 3354 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
Quote:
Yeah, the "gamut walk". It's a bit tedious but ultimately works fairly well. I did make a script at one point to try and do it automatically on the basis of an edge profile, and it kind of worked, but lost interest once I realised the Profile off filter on was basically perfect and perfectly useable for my system setup (within the gamut limit of the display, my X7900 comes up pretty short even with the filter vs P3 in low lamp).

CS works really quite well IMHO, the 3D profile visualisations are really useful for digging into the nitty-gritty of how displays are performing. Hopefully (hint) we might start to see some exploration of display performance in 3D at some point in reviews!
Manni01 likes this.
post #27774 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Lens Cleaning

I'm going to attempt to clean my RS500 and NX7 + DCR lens for the first time. The RS500 has around 3500 hours (combined 2 lamps) and the NX7 + DCR lens has about 800 hours. Any brief tips on how to do it and I am thinking about purchasing this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...51PPEZY0&psc=1
post #27775 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp4lifehva View Post
I'm going to attempt to clean my RS500 and NX7 + DCR lens for the first time. The RS500 has around 3500 hours (combined 2 lamps) and the NX7 + DCR lens has about 800 hours. Any brief tips on how to do it and I am thinking about purchasing this:

My advice, leave it alone. Don't try to fix something that is not broken. Unless you see something on screen from your lens and I doubt that you do, you are better off not messing with the lens.
post #27776 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
My advice, leave it alone. Don't try to fix something that is not broken. Unless you see something on screen from your lens and I doubt that you do, you are better off not messing with the lens.
Ok thank you. I get paranoid seeing the dust and was wondering how long people go before giving it a good dusting, if ever.
post #27777 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Unless I’m mistaken given when you purchased LS (2019) you should be entitled to a free upgrade to CS. There is no reason to wait as the CS beta offers already most of the features of LS, with a much nicer user interface.
I purchased my license in October of 2018 but actually never got around to even activating it until sometime in 2019. So no free upgrade for me. I am waiting to see what my cost would be to update.

post #27778 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:

Never use fluids on your lens unless the lens is so dirty that using a lens cleaning fluid is your last resort. Before you do buy a second hand camera lens (coated!) and test the fluid beforehand.

Those brushes may even put more dust on the lens if they hold dust from a previous cleaning session.

Using a balloon like in that picture to blow of the loose dust particles is harmless for the lens. These can be bought much cheaper.

Stereo is simply Multichannel light.
post #27779 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2314 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Would I be right to say the only Colour Profile for BDs would be to use BT. 709?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #27780 of 28509 Old 05-31-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Ok thank you. I get paranoid seeing the dust and was wondering how long people go before giving it a good dusting, if ever.
I use one of these to blow dust off the lens.
https://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA190.../dp/B00017LSPI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
drift , Jvc , nx5 , nx7 , nx9 , pixel alignment , rs1000 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page