Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 928 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25151Likes

post #27811 of 28614 Old 06-02-2020, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Thanks. Any notable gaps in things it supports or doesn't support?

I see a bunch of complaints on Amazon about limited app access and "crippled hardware."
It really depends what you are going to use the Shield for. If you watch a lot of non 4k material the Shield the AI scaling is very good.
The recent firmware update has improved some of the issues that have been reported. That being said I like the Apple & Roku interface better.
They all have some issues. The Apple TV does not play YouTuble 4k correctly and the Roku has some other issues.
Josh Z likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27812 of 28614 Old 06-02-2020, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Thanks. Any notable gaps in things it supports or doesn't support?

I see a bunch of complaints on Amazon about limited app access and "crippled hardware."
The only app I miss on my 2019 Shield is Apple TV+, so I use my 4K Roku Ultra for that.

Since the main lure of the Shield is the AI Upscaling, and the only show I watch on Apple TV+ is For All Mankind, which is in 4K anyway, I just switch streamers to watch that. I even have a 4K FireStick that I use only for Amazon Music HD, since (1) they haven't ported the HD version of that app to any of the other streamers and (2) to get 44/16 (CD quality) streams, the FireStick has to be locked to stereo PCM output.

So I use the other two streamers for one thing each, and the Shield for all other streams (including VUDU, Prime Video, Movies Anywhere, Vimeo, and Netflix). It even has a free web browser, "Puffin," available in the Play Store.

PS Since the Shield is a Chromecast receiver, I also use it to listen to TuneIn in my theater, "cast" from my phone over wifi, since that's the only way to get all the stations, and a good interface. (Their Roku app has a good interface but can't play some stations, while the FireStick and Shield have a crippled version of that app with no saved favorites and a broken search function. Casting from my phone to the Shield cures all those ills.)

Phil
True 4K/HDR10/3D JVC DLA-RS1000 (N5/NX5) projector, 7.2.4 Paradigm/Boston Acoustics/Onkyo speakers. Yamaha RX-A3070 (w/ Denon 2307CI to power 4 overheads). Oppo UDP-203, 4K Nvidia Shield, 4K Roku Ultra, 4K Amazon FireStick, Comcast 4K cable box, Win 10 PC.
My water-themed landscape photography website - only 24 pix up so far.

Last edited by Philnick; 06-02-2020 at 04:02 PM.
post #27813 of 28614 Old 06-02-2020, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
No, you would need a better upscaling in the source (for example the upscaling in a madVR HTPC, in the Shield TV 2019 or even in a panasonic UHD player) or better upscaling in a video processor (madVR Envy or Radiance Pro).

The JVC upscaling is not amazing, but it’s adequate. I suggest you see with your own eyes if it falls short for your content, and then decide which solution might improve things. Many people are happy with it, especially if they primarily watch UHD content.
Thanks, Manni.

I sought your opinion because I thought I could use the Integral2 to upscale HD signals from an Oppo 93. My Anthem pre/pro is not capable of 4K upscaling. So, for the time being, it's either upscaling by Integral2 or the NX7. If, as you say, the Integral2 is no better than the NX7, then I can dispense with it altogether.

-Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27814 of 28614 Old 06-02-2020, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 5309 Post(s)
Liked: 4406
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
It really depends what you are going to use the Shield for. If you watch a lot of non 4k material the Shield the AI scaling is very good.
The recent firmware update has improved some of the issues that have been reported. That being said I like the Apple & Roku interface better.
They all have some issues. The Apple TV does not play YouTuble 4k correctly and the Roku has some other issues.
Not to drag this thread drift out much farther, but I have one more question about the Shield. Some of the negative Amazon reviews claim that AI upscaling only works on content with frame rates up to 30 fps. On Roku, the Netflix app forces 3:2 pulldown and outputs all content at 60 Hz. Does the Shield offer native frame rate for 24 fps content from Netflix?

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.

Last edited by Josh Z; 06-02-2020 at 09:16 AM.
post #27815 of 28614 Old 06-02-2020, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Not to drag this thread drift out much farther, but I have one more question about the Shield. Some of the negative Amazon reviews claim that AI upscaling only works on content with frame rates up to 30 fps. On Roku, the Netflix app forces 3:2 pulldown and outputs all content at 60 Hz. Does the Shield offer native frame rate for 24 fps content from Netflix?
The 30 fps limit on AI Upscaling is correct - but that's for input frame rate. Here's the Shield's own thread at AVS.

Phil
True 4K/HDR10/3D JVC DLA-RS1000 (N5/NX5) projector, 7.2.4 Paradigm/Boston Acoustics/Onkyo speakers. Yamaha RX-A3070 (w/ Denon 2307CI to power 4 overheads). Oppo UDP-203, 4K Nvidia Shield, 4K Roku Ultra, 4K Amazon FireStick, Comcast 4K cable box, Win 10 PC.
My water-themed landscape photography website - only 24 pix up so far.

Last edited by Philnick; 06-02-2020 at 09:17 AM.
post #27816 of 28614 Old 06-02-2020, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 384 Post(s)
Quoted: 5924 Post(s)
Liked: 6503
Quote:
Originally Posted by neb04 View Post
Thanks, Manni.

I sought your opinion because I thought I could use the Integral2 to upscale HD signals from an Oppo 93. My Anthem pre/pro is not capable of 4K upscaling. So, for the time being, it's either upscaling by Integral2 or the NX7. If, as you say, the Integral2 is no better than the NX7, then I can dispense with it altogether.

-Ben
Before getting rid of the Integral2, you should check if it has the ability to select the JVC calibration via rs-232 using the JVC macro tab. If it does, it’s a very useful feature as it’s more reliable and versatile than the JVC auto-switch. If it doesn’t, then check its upscaling vs the JVC as I haven’t tested an Integral 2, only Vertex/Maestro, but I wouldn’t expect it to be better than the JVC at upscaling 1080p to UHD. Always trust your own eyes!

Batch Utility V4.02 May 16 2019 to automate measurements files for madVR with support for BD Folders
JVC Macro feature on Vertex/Vertex2/Integral2/Maestro/Diva
post #27817 of 28614 Old 06-02-2020, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 289 Post(s)
Quoted: 14017 Post(s)
Liked: 11687
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkn View Post
So, I know this might open a can of worms, but *should* any cable that states it's HDMI 2.0 4K UHD compliant, capable or whatever, work with the JVC projectors? I am not asking WILL they, but rather SHOULD they? If not, then what is the standard I would look for when buying a cable, to ensure it will work with all features of the JVC? The installer wants to sell me a $400 cable and I am not that happy with that. It's not that the cable he has offered is overpriced by him compared to anyone else selling the same cable, but rather should I be considering an alternative.
Probably most all of them can pass 18Gbps, but will it work for you and the answer is very few of them will. If the cable was tested using a computer applying higher voltage, it may work fine, but when you hook it up to your equipment with a lower voltage, it fails. This is why you want to buy a certified cable or a proven fiber optic cable.
c.kingsley likes this.
post #27818 of 28614 Old 06-02-2020, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 5309 Post(s)
Liked: 4406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
The only app I miss on my 2019 Shield is Apple TV+, so I use my 4K Roku Ultra for that.
Thanks. I don't have an Apple TV+ subscription, so that's not a concern. The big ones I use are Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Vudu, Movies Anywhere, HBO (currently using HBO Go since HBO Max isn't available on Roku yet, but I should get a Max subscription through Comcast), Showtime Anytime, Epix, Tubi, and YouTube.

Quote:
The 30 fps limit on AI Upscaling is correct. As to "match framerate" for Netflix, I've seen some discussion of that in the Shield's own thread here.
I guess the question is, does the Shield AI upscaling work on Netflix 1080p content or not?

Oh, I see your edit:

Quote:
The 30 fps limit on AI Upscaling is correct - but that's for input frame rate. Here's the Shield's own thread at AVS.
I assume this means that the AI upscaling happens first, followed by 3:2 pulldown afterward, so it should still work on 24 fps programming. But not on content shot at 60 fps, like Reality shows and such?... Actually, I'm not sure if Reality shows are shot at 60 fps or 30 fps. Maybe they're 30.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.

Last edited by Josh Z; 06-02-2020 at 09:24 AM.
post #27819 of 28614 Old 06-02-2020, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Before getting rid of the Integral2, you should check if it has the ability to select the JVC calibration via rs-232 using the JVC macro tab. If it does, it’s a very useful feature as it’s more reliable and versatile than the JVC auto-switch. If it doesn’t, then check its upscaling vs the JVC as I haven’t tested an Integral 2, only Vertex/Maestro, but I wouldn’t expect it to be better than the JVC at upscaling 1080p to UHD. Always trust your own eyes!
Thanks again for your advice, Manni.

I actually got the Integral2 to pass 4k to my X900 previously before the NX7 came along. Of course, I can now use my Oppo 203 to do the upscaling, but it also means retiring the 93 as well.

If I'm not wrong, the Integral2 is actually a Vertex without the LED display. If the Vertex is lacking, then so will the Integral2.

And, not joking, but I don't really trust my 73 year-old eyes to tell subtle differences, so am having to rely on keen eyes like yours,

-Ben
post #27820 of 28614 Old 06-02-2020, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
On my 16:9 135" not scope screen I do exactly what sir master said and use a second lens memory to gain a little bit of additional brightness.
How do I set up a 2nd lens memory on my NX7? Do you mean "Installation Mode" which is accessed by pressing "Setting Memory" on the remote? There are 10 of those memories so are you talking about a 2nd one of those 10 memories? Thanks
post #27821 of 28614 Old 06-02-2020, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 3675 Post(s)
Liked: 2607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Now it sounds like it is getting the proper fix.

So this proper fix Mike ( havent recieved my unit back yet ) will fix the issue ? I’m hoping it won’t occur again. Has anyone had their JVC fixed ( Hardware ) where the issue has returned ?

God Bless!
A good way to test your Iris on your projector is on the Spears and Munsil disc. Go to Video processing then select Luminance Loading. Don't stare directly at the lens but on an angle and you can actually see the Iris at work.
post #27822 of 28614 Old 06-02-2020, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredsElbow View Post
I've had 3 in total of the 15m lengths (fixed installations and unable to retract the cables between house moves). All cables performed flawlessly with my 2 projectors and AVR/soundbar changes over the years.

HDMI works or it doesn't, these perform at full 18Gbps speeds, don't cost the earth and are well made. No sync issues, can take a tight corner (thin cable is very flexible but be careful not to bend) and the connectors themselves are not so bulky that they need support. As for comparing to the Ruipro... I'm unsure. I'm sure the quality is good, however, they both do the same job and the Atzebe is very well made IMO.

I've also recently tested Amazon Basics cables with Redmere technology. These work very well with no issues on my JVC. The Atzebe is far more manageable, especially in corners, the Amazon with redmere tech cable is about 5 times the thickness and the connectors are weighty - longer. I wouldn't want to have one fitted long term without support. They are around half the price of the Aztebe, at least here in the UK.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JH70UQ0/ref=dp_cerb_3

Hi.

The assertion that HDMI/Digital cables either work or don't is incorrect. I wish people would stop claiming that. I have had a number of HDMI Cable issues over the years and I can tell you that in the current situation, I have a Fibre optic cable HDMI 2.0 spec which will display 1080P to the projector from any source but not 4K. On the prior Sony Projector, that *same* cable would display 4K 60FPS HDR with zero issues. I had a cable prior to that, which would work 90% of the time but would just cause issues occasionally with a black screen.
post #27823 of 28614 Old 06-02-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surroundsound99 View Post
How do I set up a 2nd lens memory on my NX7? Do you mean "Installation Mode" which is accessed by pressing "Setting Memory" on the remote? There are 10 of those memories so are you talking about a 2nd one of those 10 memories? Thanks
Yes.
post #27824 of 28614 Old 06-02-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Hi.

The assertion that HDMI/Digital cables either work or don't is incorrect. I wish people would stop claiming that. I have had a number of HDMI Cable issues over the years and I can tell you that in the current situation, I have a Fibre optic cable HDMI 2.0 spec which will display 1080P to the projector from any source but not 4K. On the prior Sony Projector, that *same* cable would display 4K 60FPS HDR with zero issues. I had a cable prior to that, which would work 90% of the time but would just cause issues occasionally with a black screen.
What Sony projector? I suspect it was not one of the current generation that does full 18Gbps. Earlier Sony 4K projectors did not do full HDMI 2.0 spec of 18Gbps, so rather than send a 4k 60fps HDR 10bit signal, it would send an easier to send 4k 60fps 8 bit signal and your HDMI cable could handle that signal. As soon as you stepped up to a projector that could do full HDMI 2.0 spec of 18Gbps, you ran into problems. This is because when the streaming player asked your projector what it can handle, the projector reports back that it can handle full 18Gbps spec. So the player sends that to the projector and the cable can't handle it.

Connect that same cable to your old Sony projector and when the player asked your Sony what it could handle it was either 13.5Gbps or 10.2Gbps and that is what the player used to determine that the signal had to be downgraded to 8 bit. So it sent 4k 60fps 8 bit and the Sony and cable worked perfecly fine. Go back to the 2015 JVC RS500/600 thread and read it early on, when those projectors first started shipping. Those were the first models that could do full 18Gbps. None of the cables worked, yet they worked fine on the Sony projectors, that were capped at 10.2Gbps or 13.5Gbps.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 06-02-2020 at 07:11 PM.
post #27825 of 28614 Old 06-02-2020, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 2956
Quote:
$20 flirc in the usb port works great.
Thanks, just ordered one that will probably be here before the Shield arrives.

Quote:
Another endorsement of the 2019 Nvidia Shield AI Upscaling. I got the cheaper "tube-shaped" model because the Pro was not available, and am very happy with it feeding my RS1000.

The AI Upscaling adds a subtle but real-looking level of detail to 1080 material (and sharpness to overlaid titles) streamed from VUDU, Amazon, etc., giving a longer life to my back-catalog of purchased films in 1080.

You can not only toggle it on and off to compare, there's even a "demo" mode that lets you slide a vertical divider back-and-forth across the screen with the AI in effect on the right and off on the left.
Unfortunately, the "tube" wouldn't work for me because I need the USB ports. Thankfully they were in stock and I got one ordered (should be shipping tomorrow).
rwestley likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #27826 of 28614 Old 06-02-2020, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 6799 Post(s)
Liked: 4914
Quote:
Yea, just copy your installation mode to slot 2, rename it, then select it. Now make any changes you want and they'll be saved on memory 2.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
post #27827 of 28614 Old 06-03-2020, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Hi.

I did elaborate further and state the cables I mentioned work perfectly with the JVC units. HDMI works, or it doesn't. Mike likely sums up the reasoning for your cable experience above.
DLCPhoto likes this.
post #27828 of 28614 Old 06-03-2020, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredsElbow View Post
I did elaborate further and state the cables I mentioned work perfectly with the JVC units. HDMI works, or it doesn't. Mike likely sums up the reasoning for your cable experience above.
The statement that "HDMI works or it doesn't" was true with earlier generations of HDMI and before 4k 60fps. Mike gave the perfect example using the previous generations of Sony projectors vs the JVC's. I have a close friend and neighbor that had a Sony es285 and than got a JVC. The fiber optic cable he had installed in the wall would not work with the JVC but work fine with the Sony's for the reasons Mike gave. Many others have had the same issue.

The point is that if you plan on installing a new 4k60fps projector be sure to get a fiber optic cable that will pass 18gps 60fps. I also recommend that you test the cable before installing it in the wall. Many problems can be caused by using old HDMI cables even ones with short lengths. The HDMI cable association has set up new standards but I have not found and of the Ultra
cables yet.

ULTRA HIGH SPEED CABLE
Ultra High Speed HDMI® Cable
The HDMI 2.1 Specification includes a new cable - the Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable. It’s the only cable that complies with stringent specifications designed to ensure support for all HDMI 2.1 features including uncompressed [email protected] and [email protected] The cable’s increased bandwidth capability supports up to 48Gbps.
post #27829 of 28614 Old 06-03-2020, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Are either of the 2 new Shield devices capable of responding to IR commands from a Harmony device or is control strictly by RF?

JVC NX7, Yamaha RX-A3080 (2 discrete 7.2.4 speaker layouts: Dolby Atmos & DTS:X), Lumagen Radiance Pro 4240, 127" 16x9 Stewart StudioTek 130 G4 fixed screen, Panasonic UB420, Sony UBP-X800, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVo Bolt Vox, Vandersteen Model 3 Signatures & VCC-1 Signature, Atlantic Technology (side, rear, front height & overhead) surrounds, SVS SB-2000 (2), Clark Synthesis Tactile Bass Transducers (2), Polk PSW-12
post #27830 of 28614 Old 06-03-2020, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
Are either of the 2 new Shield devices capable of responding to IR commands from a Harmony device or is control strictly by RF?
lI suggest that you look at the previous few posts. You need the pro version of the Shield since it has usb ports. You also need the following.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Rem...-mkt-chr-us-20
post #27831 of 28614 Old 06-03-2020, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
The statement that "HDMI works or it doesn't" was true with earlier generations of HDMI and before 4k 60fps.
I'd say it still applies. Different color depth can use up more bandwidth, but it either works, or it doesn't. The issues arise when bandwidth is exceeded and the picture can't be transmitted - it doesn't work.

If the image transmission meets the spec of the cable i.e up to 10.2Gbps or 18Gbps - it works.

I don't see any more mystery to the situation if I'm honest.

Quote:
I also recommend that you test the cable before installing it in the wall.
Absolutely, also double check which connector is ending up where if using directional cable.

Anyway, we're going off topic and bordering into HDMI discussion in general. Hopefully the gentleman has an answer to his question and an alternative.

Last edited by FredsElbow; 06-03-2020 at 07:47 AM.
post #27832 of 28614 Old 06-03-2020, 08:30 AM

I’m curious how many members here use the manual iris for HDR ?

God Bless!
A good way to test your Iris on your projector is on the Spears and Munsil disc. Go to Video processing then select Luminance Loading. Don't stare directly at the lens but on an angle and you can actually see the Iris at work.
post #27833 of 28614 Old 06-03-2020, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
I’m curious how many members here use the manual iris for HDR ?
I do...I don't use the dynamic iris at all.
Jive Turkey likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #27834 of 28614 Old 06-03-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I do...I don't use the dynamic iris at all.

Are you at 0 for HDR Dave ?

God Bless!
post #27835 of 28614 Old 06-03-2020, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Are you at 0 for HDR Dave ?
Yes. Depending on the movie, I'll watch in either High or Low lamp. If it's 16x9, I'll watch in low lamp, but 2.40:1 I'll go to high since I use the zoom function to fill my scope screen and there's a drop in brightness.
asharma likes this.

post #27836 of 28614 Old 06-03-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Yes. Depending on the movie, I'll watch in either High or Low lamp. If it's 16x9, I'll watch in low lamp, but 2.40:1 I'll go to high since I use the zoom function to fill my scope screen and there's a drop in brightness.

Okay might experiment look at going manual to see how it goes. Thanks

God Bless!
post #27837 of 28614 Old 06-03-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Yes.
Thank you Mike.
post #27838 of 28614 Old 06-03-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Yea, just copy your installation mode to slot 2, rename it, then select it. Now make any changes you want and they'll be saved on memory 2.
Thank you Mark.
post #27839 of 28614 Old 06-03-2020, 09:02 AM

I'm looking at a Stewart ST100 AT microperf or the Seymour Enlightor-Neo AT to go with my NX7, 110" to 120", sitting 10.5' away, 99% light-controlled room.

I'd love to hear from owners of these screens with your experience, specifically moire and artifacts are my biggest concern. Thank you!
post #27840 of 28614 Old 06-03-2020, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 4404 Post(s)
Liked: 8048
Quote:
I'm looking at a Stewart ST100 AT microperf or the Seymour Enlightor-Neo AT to go with my NX7, 110" to 120", sitting 10.5' away, 99% light-controlled room.

I'd love to hear from owners of these screens with your experience, specifically moire and artifacts are my biggest concern. Thank you!
At that distance, I'd lean toward the Neo.

My Home Theater UPDATED JUNE 2020
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
drift , Jvc , nx5 , nx7 , nx9 , pixel alignment , rs1000 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page