Official JVC RS3000/NX9 - JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 - JVC RS1000/NX5/N5 - Owners Thread - Page 99 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22868Likes

post #2941 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Are you returning the projector or swapping it out for another from your dealer? My RS600 is silent and ~2ft from my seating distance, a noisy iris will be a deal breaker in my setup.
I'm talking with my dealer now, but yeah, i'm gonna push for a replacement or a swap. This is kind of a bummer, after re-doing the panel alignment and focus last night, i am really happy with the picture it's throwing. Lucy, especially the beginning sequence with the guy in the suit, is razor sharp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 08:31 AM

btw, I am also using a peerless mount, there is definitely some movement with it. I am using a fairly long extension. I'm gonna look into alternate mounting solutions and possibly build a ceiling box, shelf for it instead. It's been really windy in the Dallas area these past few days. when the wind kicks up it must be shaking the house very slightly because when it does i can see some slight movement on the projected image. I might look into a chief mount, but i really love the peerless adjustment knobs. It makes setup such a breeze. 50lbs is definitely its limit though.
brente likes this.
post #2943 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Looks like this next generation's Gamma D or gaming latency problem. This time it's DI noise and pixel alignment.

Hopefully, this can be remedied in these units, but this is why I like to wait for second iterations of any new projector.

I honestly don't know what these are. I had no pixel alignment 'problem' .

Red was shifted by one pixel and all it took was one nudge in area alignment to fix this.

There is no DI now atleast not that I have noticed while in operation. Only time there is a noise is when HDR kicks in or when I changed the manual iris (and going to Auto afterwards)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Craig Peer and BruceJK like this.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 804D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W 684S2 | Heights: B&W DM601S3 | Subs: 3x PSA S1500 Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Monoprice Monolith 7x200 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Screen: 126 inch 16:9 Stewart Studiotek 130 G4 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2944 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommarra View Post
I honestly don't know what these are. I had no pixel alignment 'problem' .

Red was shifted by one pixel and all it took was one nudge in area alignment to fix this.

There is no DI now atleast not that I have noticed while in operation. Only time there is a noise is when HDR kicks in or when I changed the manual iris (and going to Auto afterwards)

That means that it isn't inherent within the projectors, which is good. However, the recurrences suggest a slight quality control issue and repairs and exchanges for quite a few folks.

If all's in order by summer, I might have a decision to make on this one.
mbw23air likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #2945 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 08:49 AM

This almost makes me consider upgrading to a 4500. But I do like the tone mapping on these new units. #firstworldproblems
post #2946 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 13525 Post(s)
Liked: 11151
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Let me start off by saying that I don't know the answer, but I have read contradicting posts on this subject. The majority have said something along the lines of what you do here, that any use of zone correction will have overall negative consequences. But I also recall reading the opposite, that despite many recommending not using it, there is really no harm with zone adjustment.

Has this been demonstrated objectively anywhere, one way or the other?
JVC uses it when going around doing RS4500 demos.
post #2947 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7818 Post(s)
Liked: 9902
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
That includes the JVC-specific plate (that's the '281' part) but it's for pole mount. I'm not sure what the equivalent for flush mounting is. Craig or Mike could tell you.
Personally I don't like flush mounting. I like a little space above my projectors. I'd get a CMA101 ceiling plate and a 1 1/2" threaded " close nipple " from a hardware store or plumbing supply. That gives you a little space above for air circulation but only costs maybe 1 1/2" - 2".
post #2948 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
JVC uses it when going around doing RS4500 demos.
Thanks for the reply, Mike. I think you had alluded to this in prior posts on this topic, which is what I was vaguely remembering.

Dominic and I had an exchange in the 20LTD thread that he linked to above, which does demonstrate fairly definitively that making zonal adjustments can negatively impact the picture quality, at least when viewing test patterns. Dominic indicated there that "To be fair, I can’t say I’ve seen the issue when watching movies."

To which I responded:

"It then makes me wonder: if the initial misalignment (that using zone adjustments is intended to correct) is also not evident when watching actual content (and I understand that isn't what you just said, but might be the case), and the negative effects of zonal adjustments to the misalignment are not apparent, then are we just chasing our tails??

In other words, do these adjustments, whose need is determined by 'pixel-peeping,' have any net positive impact on picture quality when viewing actual content? Or does it just satisfy the OCD that so many of us (myself included!) suffer from?"

Who knows??

JVC NX7, DCR Lens, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #2949 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
I ran into the same issue with JVC's new DLP 4K but besides the Clicking there was a LOUD Buzzing when E-Shift was on. Clearly heard during most content short of Bombs or screaming Dinosaurs. You could even hear it coming up the Stairwell 15' away! Tried installing two different units before giving up and switching to a x790r.

I strongly agree with you...and with a NX9 going up in the air on Friday, I'm hoping I'll get a pass on that issue. If not, the individual concerned will not tolerate such since that pricey big girl will almost be directly over the seating (just ahead actually).
I received my RS3000 late last week and have only spent about 8 hours viewing it. My box was not double boxed, however all the Styrofoam caps were intact and it appears that the projector didn't take any rear hard impacts. My PJ also didn't have to travel as far since I'm out in Colorado and not the east coast. I also haven't heard any clicking of the iris and I've operated the PJ in both Auto 1 and Auto 2. When I have more time, I plan on taking a closer look at panel alignment. So far what I've seen without taking into account warmup, is a very slight misalignment that can be seen when up extremely close to the screen. My projector also came preloaded with FW 1.17. Hopefully the noise some are hearing is not an indication of a common issue with the iris.
David Mathews, Reddig and BruceJK like this.
post #2950 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
That includes the JVC-specific plate (that's the '281' part) but it's for pole mount. I'm not sure what the equivalent for flush mounting is. Craig or Mike could tell you.
I believe the RPA version (pictured) can also be used for flush mount. Note that there are 4 holes surrounding the threaded section. I believe that 4 bolts go through these holes into whatever is above.

This mount looks like it is really easy to adjust. I have the cheaper version (RPM?) which is more difficult to adjust. If I was doing it now, I would probably get this version, but it's not a great problem to adjust the RPM version and once it's done I never have to mess with it as long as it's a solid flush mount. (A pole mount, especially with a longer pole, might be a different story.)
post #2951 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colozeus View Post
This almost makes me consider upgrading to a 4500. But I do like the tone mapping on these new units. #firstworldproblems

Statements like these make me question my life choices

How can I be making so little money to only afford a NX7 !

Spizz, Josh Z, Bytehoven and 4 others like this.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 804D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 705S2 | Backs: B&W 684S2 | Heights: B&W DM601S3 | Subs: 3x PSA S1500 Receiver & Amps: Anthem MRX 720 + Monoprice Monolith 7x200 + Emotiva BasX-5 | Projector: JVC NX7 | Screen: 126 inch 16:9 Stewart Studiotek 130 G4 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #2952 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But then you might have to hold off on the Bentley and harpsichord lessons.
SED <--- Rules, mattztt and Reddig like this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #2953 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I run mine 25 feet with no issues with good cable. You should be fine.
15 meters is over 49 feet. Almost double the 25 ft run. I'm not sure if you realized I was speaking in meters.
post #2954 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I hear nothing with the DI on my NX7 while watching something. only when I am setting the manual iris I hear some whirring sound but it's not a click

Yes, should be making a noise, when changing the manual iris.
tommarra likes this.
post #2955 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7818 Post(s)
Liked: 9902
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Thanks for the reply, Mike. I think you had alluded to this in prior posts on this topic, which is what I was vaguely remembering.

Dominic and I had an exchange in the 20LTD thread that he linked to above, which does demonstrate fairly definitively that making zonal adjustments can negatively impact the picture quality, at least when viewing test patterns. Dominic indicated there that "To be fair, I can’t say I’ve seen the issue when watching movies."

To which I responded:

"It then makes me wonder: if the initial misalignment (that using zone adjustments is intended to correct) is also not evident when watching actual content (and I understand that isn't what you just said, but might be the case), and the negative effects of zonal adjustments to the misalignment are not apparent, then are we just chasing our tails??

In other words, do these adjustments, whose need is determined by 'pixel-peeping,' have any net positive impact on picture quality when viewing actual content? Or does it just satisfy the OCD that so many of us (myself included!) suffer from?"

Who knows??
It does. I used the test pictures from these test patterns - https://www.diversifiedvideosolution...uhdhdr-10.html flipped convergence correction on and off, and I could see the difference from my seat. I have good vision. Now, if you can't see a difference from your seat, then one can argue not to use convergence correction.

On that same subject, my RS4500 displays the 4K single pixel test pattern perfectly. But when I scale video to 4096 x 2106, that mangles the test pattern. Makes it look closer to what the Optoma UHD60 displays. However, 4K movies scaled to 4096 and watched with the DCR lens look stupendous. Better than without the scaling and lens. So, at the end of the day, I really only care what the final result on the screen looks like.
post #2956 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7323 Post(s)
Liked: 7351
Quote:
LOL, lets fac e it if you could afford the NX7 you could make the RS4500 work you would just have more Debt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4471 View Post
I received my RS3000 late last week and have only spent about 8 hours viewing it. My box was not double boxed, however all the Styrofoam caps were intact and it appears that the projector didn't take any rear hard impacts. My PJ also didn't have to travel as far since I'm out in Colorado and not the east coast. I also haven't heard any clicking of the iris and I've operated the PJ in both Auto 1 and Auto 2. When I have more time, I plan on taking a closer look at panel alignment. So far what I've seen without taking into account warmup, is a very slight misalignment that can be seen when up extremely close to the screen. My projector also came preloaded with FW 1.17. Hopefully the noise some are hearing is not an indication of a common issue with the iris.
So what did you think of her? All you expected and more?
Reddig likes this.
post #2957 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm at a point in life where I could, but I know me, and I'd sit there every movie stewing over "How much did I pay for this stupid thing?"

I look back on my original projectors - I had an Infocus, then an Optoma H79 originally that I actually bought from AVS - that couldn't even remotely compare to a blu ray image.

My rs620 throws an absolutely stunning image beyond what I could have imagined 15 years ago, and now thes new NX machines are tickling my interest.

It never ends.
Bytehoven and jorgebetancourt like this.

post #2958 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Does that one or two clicks fix the entire projected image? On mine ot doesn’t and the only way to fix mine is with zone convergence adjustments.

I let it settle a bit more today and was able to set red pixel adjust to 0, but blue needed -2V. I didn't look super nitpicky but to my eyes this was pretty good across the entire image. Granted I've now installed my Paladin DCR so some adjustment may be due to the lens?

Theater Equipment list:
JVC RS3000, Panamorph Paladin DCR, 138", Lumagen Pro, Stewart 138" 2:35:1 Screen, Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV Genie, Marantz SR-6011, Emotiva XPA-5 Mains: Paradigm Prestige 85F, Center: Paradigm Prestige 55C, Sides: Paradigm Prestige 15B, Rears: Paradigm Atom V6 Atmos: Paradigm P65-R Sub: Rhythmik FV18, GIK Acoustic Room Treatments
post #2959 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
15 meters is over 49 feet. Almost double the 25 ft run. I'm not sure if you realized I was speaking in meters.
Oops, read too fast. Thought "feet" when I saw "meters."

Yeah, that's a pretty good poke, but I'd bet there's some cable that can handle it. Did you get recommendations from the Mike or other AVS guys here? PM them.

post #2960 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah these projectors are heavy and super big. They dominate the room! . I had to redo the shelf I use to place the PJ, and even then had the plywood sag a little under the weight. I am thinking of putting another half inch of plywood to be doubly sure!

I would only use 3/4" plywood for the shelf and also install a piece of 1x2 or trim on the front edge to reinforce the shelf.
Bytehoven likes this.
post #2961 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
But then you might have to hold off on the Bentley and harpsichord lessons.
haha, nah. I don't spend money on fancy cars or lessons. I'm actually looking to downgrade my vehicle for something with more utility...
post #2962 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
As someone else just noted, please share your thoughts on the image. Are you loving it? Any initial buyers remorse?
post #2963 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I'm at a point in life where I could, but I know me, and I'd sit there every movie stewing over "How much did I pay for this stupid thing?"

I look back on my original projectors - I had an Infocus, then an Optoma H79 originally that I actually bought from AVS - that couldn't even remotely compare to a blu ray image.

My rs620 throws an absolutely stunning image beyond what I could have imagined 15 years ago, and now thes new NX machines are tickling my interest.

It never ends.
Yup, i promised myself i wouldn't pixel peep and yet, here i am, obsessing over test patterns because "i paid x amount for this machine, it better be perfect, blah blah blah". And then i actually watched some content after getting everything setup and i was amazed. Honestly, i'm surprised that even 4500's have panel alignment issues, even if it's minimal. My theory is that the panels are perfect after manufacturing and it just gets banged around during shipping. I'm going to assume that the super high end gear like the 100K+ christie projectors, probably have mechanical panel alignment that can be done on the unit itself or from a service menu.
BruceJK likes this.
post #2964 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I hope all with the clicking noise reports this to their dealer / JVC so it comes to light. My dealer is still waiting a reply from JVC.
post #2965 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
If it was the iris, it should sound the same in high and low lamp and HDR/SDR. Now it may be harder to hear in high lamp, but the iris sound should not change going into high lamp. If it does, it is probably not the iris making that noise.
Quote:
I'm talking with my dealer now, but yeah, i'm gonna push for a replacement or a swap. This is kind of a bummer, after re-doing the panel alignment and focus last night, i am really happy with the picture it's throwing. Lucy, especially the beginning sequence with the guy in the suit, is razor sharp.
Quote:
Yes, should be making a noise, when changing the manual iris.
I checked my RS3000 while standing on a stool so my head is directly below it. I'm watching the DI change (both Auto 1 and Auto 2) as I go from dark to a fairly bright scene. I can hear the fan (low lamp) and I hear absolutely NOTHING besides that.
post #2966 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexr214 View Post
As someone else just noted, please share your thoughts on the image. Are you loving it? Any initial buyers remorse?
Coming from a 990, here are my thoughts:

- Better motion handling during panning scenes
- no black crush
- 990 had deeper blacks but less shadow detail
- Amazing color and image sharpness
- NO lamp flicker that i can tell
- Auto one mapping works reall well, even when using atv4k/infuse or netflix/amazon.
- improved sync times.
- calmer image
- More brightness
- No more lightpath fan noise, or at least its volume has been greatly reduced.
- No eshift noise if you turn off 8k, which you should, but even with it on, the noise is less than my 990.

Con's
- It's a heavy beast. Definitely a two person job to mount unless you are The Rock or John Cena.
- You will pixel peep because all the cool kids are doing so these days.

I'm projecting onto a 135" 16:9 elite screens cinewhite with 1.1 gain. Batcave that is painted with SW tricorn black superpaint flat, no velvet, yet. I do plan on adding black velvet to my room. THis should improve contrast quite a bit more.
post #2967 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
LOL, lets fac e it if you could afford the NX7 you could make the RS4500 work you would just have more Debt

So what did you think of her? All you expected and more?
Oh I'm loving this machine. For me its like a new set of speakers that are revealing things in content you thought you were already familiar with. I have a new Ruipro fiber cable arriving today to replace what appears to be a defective Ruipro cable. I've had to you use HDMI cables that do not allow this to display above 1080P/60Hz. I hope to utilize its full capability tonight in some UHD content. Even at 1080P, the image looks fantastic compared to my Runco Video Extreme series 3-chip DLP it replaced. My Runco must have way higher fan noise than the JVC because I really cannot hear the JVC much at all and I am having to run it in high altitude mode since I'm at 7,000 feet. Love it and can't wait to get more time with it. My wife also without hesitation saw the difference and she is a casual viewer.
post #2968 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Yeah these projectors are heavy and super big. They dominate the room! . I had to redo the shelf I use to place the PJ, and even then had the plywood sag a little under the weight. I am thinking of putting another half inch of plywood to be doubly sure!

I would only use 3/4" plywood for the shelf and also install a piece of 1x2 or trim on the front edge to reinforce the shelf.
Bytehoven likes this.
post #2969 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Oops, read too fast. Thought "feet" when I saw "meters."

Yeah, that's a pretty good poke, but I'd bet there's some cable that can handle it. Did you get recommendations from the Mike or other AVS guys here? PM them.
I didn't check with anyone in particular from AVS. I thought I reviewed on AVS a posting that had many people testing HDMI cables at various lengths and using specific content to test the cables and verify that they are stable and do indeed work for all that the RS3000 will require of it.
post #2970 of 25922 Old 01-23-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
btw, I am also using a peerless mount, there is definitely some movement with it. I am using a fairly long extension. I'm gonna look into alternate mounting solutions and possibly build a ceiling box, shelf for it instead. It's been really windy in the Dallas area these past few days. when the wind kicks up it must be shaking the house very slightly because when it does i can see some slight movement on the projected image. I might look into a chief mount, but i really love the peerless adjustment knobs. It makes setup such a breeze. 50lbs is definitely its limit though.
The better Chief mount has gear adjustment. You loosen one set screw and stick a #2 phillips screw driver in the hole and turn the gear. Then tighten down the set screw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
drift , Jvc , nx5 , nx7 , nx9 , pixel alignment , rs1000 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page