Optoma P1 4k Laser UST @ CES - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 785Likes

post #301 of 1717 Old 08-16-2019, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectionHead View Post
There was no mention of 3D support on this unit, but that could change.
It doesn't appear that the built in speakers could be used as a center channel, but I did make that recommendation to them many months ago when I first got to see it at Infocomm.
I also suggested that they make another unit that doesn't include any integrated audio and instead has beefed up visual specs.
While the integrated speakers are extremely nice for what it is, I still plan on using my AVR and surround sound when I setup the P1 in my home.
I hope they take heed with the "Use it as a Center Channel" aspect. That would be phenomenally useful for a good number of the people that are likely to buy these, me included.
dreamstate and TTBear like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1717 Old 08-16-2019, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
There was no mention of 3D support on this unit, but that could change.
It doesn't appear that the built in speakers could be used as a center channel, but I did make that recommendation to them many months ago when I first got to see it at Infocomm.
I also suggested that they make another unit that doesn't include any integrated audio and instead has beefed up visual specs.
While the integrated speakers are extremely nice for what it is, I still plan on using my AVR and surround sound when I setup the P1 in my home.
Which video specs would you recommend beefing up? I'm sure the internal speakers are there to compete directly with larger flat screen TV's. And it's an advantage for ad hock portable use, or smaller rooms. Except for the very best sound bar / subwoofer combos, sound bars in general aren't able to compete with a good HT sound system.

But being ultra short throw, the enhanced sound CAN come in handy for certain uses. Also I don't understand the advantage of using the speakers for a center channel. Matching the front three speakers is critical for good sound (a little more leeway with surrounds).

A good subwoofer out would be helpful though the optical or even analog out could work. I'm sure you'd be amazed at the improvement overall with a bit of sub support.
post #303 of 1717 Old 08-16-2019, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihaku View Post
I hope they take heed with the "Use it as a Center Channel" aspect. That would be phenomenally useful for a good number of the people that are likely to buy these, me included.
I could not agree more! This feature would be beyond fantastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 1717 Old 08-16-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Frankly, I find the absence of 3D support absurd.

Just came across the latest review of Optoma's entry front projector model HD243X and even that cheap 1080p projector has a 3D Sync Output for 3D-RF glasses (while all 4K models at best only support DLP Link)

Apparently, the guys at Optoma who make the decisions think that the user of a 4K projector will exclusively use it for 4K program content and vice versa that a 3D lover will eclusively use a 1080p projector and nothing else...

Home theater consumer market research is obviously and sadly not Optoma's strong suit, IIRC the P1 had been showcased in February at the ISE, first - and nobody told Optoma what a great idea it would be if there were an option to use the speakers as a center channel in a typical home theater surround sound setup?
GregK likes this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #305 of 1717 Old 08-16-2019, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Frankly, I find the absence of 3D support absurd.

Just came across the latest review of Optoma's entry front projector model HD243X and even that cheap 1080p projector has a 3D Sync Output for 3D-RF glasses (while all 4K models at best only support DLP Link)

Apparently, the guys at Optoma who make the decisions think that the user of a 4K projector will exclusively use it for 4K program content and vice versa that a 3D lover will eclusively use a 1080p projector and nothing else...

Home theater consumer market research is obviously and sadly not Optoma's strong suit, IIRC the P1 had been showcased in February at the ISE, first - and nobody told Optoma what a great idea it would be if there were an option to use the speakers as a center channel in a typical home theater surround sound setup?
Perhaps they did suggest that to Optoma but in order to be able to hit their target street price of $2,999 that feature of using the speaker as a center channel (along with 3d) couldn't make the cut.

Perhaps they are taking these suggestions into consideration for the "next" version of this unit which may be in a higher price bracket.
Eagle13 likes this.
post #306 of 1717 Old 08-16-2019, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Thank ProjectionHead, looking forward to getting new juice content from you guys!

September is coming!

G.
post #307 of 1717 Old 08-16-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 303
No 3D would mean no sale with me. Hopefully, it's still there as confirmed by Tuan earlier. I'm in Northern NJ would love to check PJ out when you get it back (PM'd you).
GregK, ryudoadema and CopyRon like this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #308 of 1717 Old 08-16-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
No 3D would mean no sale with me. Hopefully, it's still there as confirmed by Tuan earlier. I'm in Northern NJ would love to check PJ out when you get it back (PM'd you).
I will most certainly let you know once we have it installed and ready for visitors to check it out!
post #309 of 1717 Old 08-16-2019, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 49
No 3D = no buy from me either. No hard feelings, just doesn't meet my criteria.

Surely that couldn't be more than software support, maybe additional licensing which ought to be cheap these days.

Studios not making more 3D titles is understandable, but display devices not supporting 3D is just maddening. It's not like the titles I purchased a few years ago just vanished...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Brajesh, GregK, Frank714 and 1 others like this.
post #310 of 1717 Old 08-16-2019, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
After stalking this forum for a few months now and seeing the recent real life footage of the P1 in action, I just went ahead and pre-ordered the P1 from ProjectorScreen. I had also ordered the 120" XY ALR PET screen and that arrived already, but I'm waiting to install it closer to the projector arrival. I'll try to post a video once I have everything in, up, and running.
imhotep6, ZAPH and Johnny nz like this.
post #311 of 1717 Old 08-16-2019, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Duncan View Post
After stalking this forum for a few months now and seeing the recent real life footage of the P1 in action, I just went ahead and pre-ordered the P1 from ProjectorScreen. I had also ordered the 120" XY ALR PET screen and that arrived already, but I'm waiting to install it closer to the projector arrival. I'll try to post a video once I have everything in, up, and running.

Are they taking pre-orders on ProjectorScreen website? How did you do that? Also, how much was it for 120" PET from XY ?
ProjectionHead likes this.
post #312 of 1717 Old 08-16-2019, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 403
@Tuan (a rep from Optoma) confirmed 3D early on in this thread.
post #313 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk 1937 View Post
Are they taking pre-orders on ProjectorScreen website? How did you do that? Also, how much was it for 120" PET from XY ?
Yeah, ProjectorScreen had it for pre-order as someone mentioned and I also took advantage of that because of the no Tax for Florida. I paid $1200 for my screen but haven't installed it to see quality yet. Somehow escaped taxes and duties as well.
post #314 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I like that Optoma are offering a three year warranty with this. LG only one year for a £6000 PJ.
post #315 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 73
@tyler great stuff! Looking forward to your review mate
@PTO jectionHead any special deal P1 + ALR screen that can beat the XY one?
post #316 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Pretty close on pulling the trigger on this and pre-ordering from projectorscreen. I usually wait for reviews but for some reason I think this is going to be sell very well and I don't want to have to wait until late October to November to get my hands on it.

As many others have said, I do wish you could use this thing as a center speaker. With that said, I don't think it would be easy to implement without a speaker input. I imagine trying to remove the center speaker from the output signal to your receiver just wouldn't work well and the audio would be hard to sync up with the rest of speakers.

Questions that I still have

- Input lag

- How many inches above the top of the projector is the image displayed? I don't want to have to get a different av cabinet if my current one is to high. Some promotional pics have the image an inch or two away from the top of the projector while other images look like it's almost 1 ft above the top of the projector.

- Optomas website says it has HDMI arc on port one. Can anyone confirm? I've only heard optical output being mentioned in this thread.

I do hope the integrated apps work well, especially at this price point. If they do, my Xbox one X will be the only thing hooked up to it. Alexa and Google Assistant are nice but not something I need. I do wish they had another option without the sound bar and voice assistants, preferably at a cheaper price but I know they are marketing this as an all-in-one solution. It does seem like you have to get a UST ALR screen to get the most out of this projector and that's going to add quite a bit. Even the cheaper Chinese models cost around $800. Brands like SI are out of my price range. If I do purchase it, I'm going to see how it looks on my Stewart Firehawk before dropping the money on a screen. My theater room does not have complete light control so I probably will need a new ALR screen in the long run. Not having to worry about bulb replacements is also very important.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Eagle13 and ProjectionHead like this.

Last edited by diggumsmax; 08-17-2019 at 07:53 AM.
post #317 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self-Righteous View Post
I like that Optoma are offering a three year warranty with this. LG only one year for a £6000 PJ.
I was really looking forward to an LG/Optoma comparison. I always figured the LG would be a bit more because it has two lasers but I never imagined it would be at the price point that it is. The fact that you only get a one year warranty on something that cost that much is ridiculous. You can get last year's LG for pretty cheap now although the throw distance is much further than these newer models.

Three year warranty with Optoma gives me piece of mind. With these being a somewhat newer category of projectors I do wonder about how they will hold up after 2 or 3 years.

post #318 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I buy an optoma projector 10years ago it had a problem after one year of over heating I tried changing the lamp but optoma service was so nad that he never fpund the problem and it as the same for all the people having this model at this time (it was long time ago and optoma was not has big as today so i hope it changed). After that i bought a sony and have already change 5 times the lamps (use it more than 10000 hours) and he work like new. So even if warranty is longer I would trust more japanese or corean brand. By the way which nztionality is optoma ? I'm not sure.
post #319 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've been doing some searching around and all I can seem to find is the maximum screen size, does anyone know the minimum screen size for this projector?
post #320 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
@Tuan (a rep from Optoma) confirmed 3D early on in this thread.
Yep, here it is.
Troy LaMont likes this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #321 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolly View Post
I've been doing some searching around and all I can seem to find is the maximum screen size, does anyone know the minimum screen size for this projector?
According to the Optoma, it is 85 - 120.
https://www.optoma.com/us/cinemax-p1/

post #322 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
We just had a little time to play around with the P1 and were really impressed. We were able to test it out with a couple different screen surfaces and different lighting conditions.

It was clear that you absolutely got the best results with a UST ALR screen (SI Short Throw is what we used) regardless of the level of ambient light in the room.

On our Grandview UHD130 surface (4k 1.3 gain) it looked really good with <5 foot candles of light hitting the screen but still not on par with the 4x more expensive ST surface. The photo attached is on the UHD130 Grandview surface in the dark with all lights out.

We shot some video in our office, on an iphone, as our demo room is currently under renovation. We will be doing some more in depth photo video later this month with the P1 in that room once it is completed. We will also be testing it on some additional surfaces and in more lighting conditions.

The poor quality of our video does not do this unit justice.

Here is a video of us opening up the sealed box for our fist look:

https://youtu.be/n7GaVQo5nec

Video of P1 with out of the box video settings projecting on a Grandview UHD130 white surface with a SI sample overlayed to show difference:

https://youtu.be/vNFcXn_5cek

The audio was surprisingly impressive as well. It did lack any hookup for an external subwoofer though as it only had a 3.5mm audio out and an optical out. There may be plans for an optional wireless subwoofer or another way to get a sub hooked up to this but we were unable to get it to work. This is not a production release model so there may be still some enhancements/changes prior to release.

You could bypass the integrated audio entirely to run trough your AVR and surround sound.

The internal audio was clear and more than appropriate for TV viewing and dialogue, however it really lacked the "oomph" I would want for more cinematic content.

My colleague David is a real serious audiophile with a tremendous ear; here are his first impressions on the integrated audio (originally published @ https://www.projectorscreen.com/blog...st-impressions) :

In an era where the ultra-short throw projector is synonymous with the concept of “bigger & better TV replacement” in home theater, there are many aspects to what will make someone want one specific model over another. Of course, picture quality, brightness and price are all deciding factors as they always have been when deciding on a projector. Yet, in the era of the ultra-short throw setup we now have a new compelling category for which we will add to the way in which we judge a projector:

SOUND QUALITY! That’s right. Because of the way the UST projectors are designed, they now replace not only your TV with a larger image, but they also replace your soundbar as well.

Even before its official release, the P1 is becoming a trend setter. It’s priced affordably with a lot to offer. Of course, you will want to make sure you use the right kind of screen for it – meaning one designed specifically for UST projectors. But for the remainder of this review I will speaking specifically about its sound quality.

My colleagues and I, having worked in the home theater industry for years and years, know what it’s when you’re setting up the projector in your own house. We know that special feeling when the screen is finally mounted, you pop in your favorite Blu-ray or you hope right on to Netflix and go to a spectacular visual and finally get that first glimpse of a real movie theater in your home. But what is less familiar is setting up the projector and being blown away buy its ability to fill the room with crisp, clean *loud* sound all from within the projector itself. This is exactly what happened when we had the pleasure of using the P1 for the first time. The office has its share of audiophiles too, of which I am one. While it won’t replace your B&W free standing speakers, it will replace your average (and above-average) soundbars.

The P1 employs an integrated sound bar designed by Optoma’s sister company, NuForce. Inside the soundbar reside four full-range aluminum woofers capable of rendering distortion-free audio at a considerable volume level. The only qualm we had was that the projector did not include a way to integrate a subwoofer for those sub-bass frequencies that add impact to your cinematic experience. This may change in the future if a wireless subwoofer is offered for the unit.

We are sure that the P1 will be one of many offerings in the months and years to come which will offer substantial audio improvements over projectors of the past, but for now, we are happy to say it’s simply the best sounding projector we have yet to hear. At its price point, it’s a slam dunk of AV goodness on every front. Since Optoma and Nuforce are owned by the same company, the P1 is able to be offered at an extremely cost-effective price.

Was there any fan noise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
J Bone likes this.
post #323 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Duncan View Post
Yeah, ProjectorScreen had it for pre-order as someone mentioned and I also took advantage of that because of the no Tax for Florida. I paid $1200 for my screen but haven't installed it to see quality yet. Somehow escaped taxes and duties as well.

What made you choose xy over like an elite alr. I’m trying to figure out which one I want for my new room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #324 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
According to the Optoma, it is 85 - 120.
https://www.optoma.com/us/cinemax-p1/

Somehow missed that, thanks!
post #325 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick87r View Post
What made you choose xy over like an elite alr. I’m trying to figure out which one I want for my new room.

Elite regular ALR will not work with this projector; you will need the Elite "CLR"" (ceiling light rejecting):
https://www.projectorscreen.com/stor...=138617,131259

HUGE price increase to go from 100" to 120" with these types of screens.

I saw the XY at a demo; I wasn't impressed with it, especially when compared to the SI options but it is at a very low price point it could be a "good value" option.
Eagle13 likes this.
post #326 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Probably the price, XY is half the price of ELite ALR screens
post #327 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhotep6 View Post
Was there any fan noise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not that we picked up on. Since the projector is pretty far away from the viewing distance fan noise would be less audible than with a unit over your head. We will take a closer listen next time to see how far away it is noticeable.
Eagle13, imhotep6 and Johnny nz like this.
post #328 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
Pretty close on pulling the trigger on this and pre-ordering from projectorscreen. I usually wait for reviews but for some reason I think this is going to be sell very well and I don't want to have to wait until late October to November to get my hands on it.

- How many inches above the top of the projector is the image displayed? I don't want to have to get a different av cabinet if my current one is to high. Some promotional pics have the image an inch or two away from the top of the projector while other images look like it's almost 1 ft above the top of the projector.

If I do purchase it, I'm going to see how it looks on my Stewart Firehawk before dropping the money on a screen.
I believe is is .2x the image width of the screen (ie a 100" diagonal screen with a width of 87.2", it would need to be 17.44" below the bottom of the viewable surface.

I will try to get confirmation when back at the office on Monday morning.

... and yes, I totally expect the first wave to sell out quickly.

It won't work with your Firehawk due to how the Firehawk rejects ambient light. Firehawk's angular reflective nature only works with regular throw projectors that are about 1.5x the image width away from the screen, which is too bad because the Firehawk is an awesome standard throw ALR screen.

If you want ALR, you will need a specific UST ALR screen.

Last edited by ProjectionHead; 08-17-2019 at 12:49 PM.
post #329 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk 1937 View Post
Yes they are taking preorders. Check out the Elite CLR as opposed to the XY if you want to stay in that price range. Here are some links to check out some of the UST ALR options available:

https://www.projectorscreen.com/stor...=138617,131259

If you want the best (and subsequently the most expensive), SI is the way to go:

https://www.projectorscreen.com/scre...?Attribs=6119&
post #330 of 1717 Old 08-17-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:

From my research it really seems like it really depends on if you want 100 or 120 inches. From what I can find, the elite screens dramatically go up if you want 120. For some reason, and I have no idea why, the silverticket UST alr screens are the same price for either size. The 120 is sold out on their website. I'm also looking into XY as well.

I wish fresnel screens weren't so expensive, hard to ship and had a little better viewing angle. I had exchanged emails with XY re-sellers and due to Fresnel being hard screens, they are extremely heavy and difficult to ship and none of them would do it. I was also hesitant to buy directly from China as well. Fresnel screens appear to handle ambient light much better as they block light from the sides as well. Other posters on here have also said there is a some glare when using the screens. A quick YouTube search will result in one or two videos.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page