Optoma P1 4k Laser UST @ CES - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 340Likes

post #331 of 707 Old 08-17-2019, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectionHead View Post
I believe is is .2x the image width of the screen (ie a 100" diagonal screen with a width of 87.2", it would need to be 17.44" below the bottom of the viewable surface.

I will try to get confirmation when back at the office on Monday morning.

... and yes, I totally expect the first wave to sell out quickly.

It won't work with your Firehawk due to how the Firehawk rejects ambient light. Firehawk's angular reflective nature only works with regular throw projectors that are about 1.5x the image width away from the screen, which is too bad because the Firehawk is an awesome standard throw ALR screen.

If you want ALR, you will need a specific UST ALR screen.
Thanks! Just placed my order. Waiting to get my hands on it before I buy a screen though. Is that 17.44 inches from the top of the projector or the bottom? That 5 inches could make a difference. If it's the top I doubt I can do 120 without buying a new av cabinet. My Firehawk is an older model with no form of ALR. Just a grey screen with roughly a 1.1 gain.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
ProjectionHead likes this.

Last edited by diggumsmax; 08-17-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 707 Old 08-17-2019, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
Thanks! Just placed my order. Waiting to get my hands on it before I buy a screen though. Is that 17.44 inches from the top of the projector or the bottom? That 5 inches could make a difference. If it's the top I doubt I can do 120 without buying a new av cabinet. My Firehawk is an older model with no form of ALR. Just a grey screen with roughly a 1.1 gain.

I also made the switch from a standard Epson projector + Firehawk combo to a UST + lenticular screen combo. You won't want to use the Firehawk with the UST, because it will reject light coming from the projector. Speaking from experience as I tried white wall, Firehawk, and lenticular screen side by side on my current UST (Viewsonic PX800HD-S) and the white wall was brighter than the Firehawk screen
diggumsmax likes this.
post #333 of 707 Old 08-17-2019, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkle View Post
I also made the switch from a standard Epson projector + Firehawk combo to a UST + lenticular screen combo. You won't want to use the Firehawk with the UST, because it will reject light coming from the projector. Speaking from experience as I tried white wall, Firehawk, and lenticular screen side by side on my current UST (Viewsonic PX800HD-S) and the white wall was brighter than the Firehawk screen
The Optoma P1 has a throw ratio of 0.25. The vertical offset will be proportional to the distance the projector is away from the wall, and is a function of the laser prismatic throw angle which is oriented sharply upward for a UST projector. It is not clear yet what the offset will be and is often represented as the vertical distance from the the counter on which the projector rests to the bottom of the image. Reviewing other UST projectors it would seem that the vertical offset would be somewhere around 13" - 15" for a 120" diagonal image, but this remains to be seen as Optoma has not yet released these details, or I can't find them.
diggumsmax likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 707 Old 08-17-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ered View Post
The Optoma P1 has a throw ratio of 0.25. The vertical offset will be proportional to the distance the projector is away from the wall, and is a function of the laser prismatic throw angle which is oriented sharply upward for a UST projector. It is not clear yet what the offset will be and is often represented as the vertical distance from the the counter on which the projector rests to the bottom of the image. Reviewing other UST projectors it would seem that the vertical offset would be somewhere around 13" - 15" for a 120" diagonal image, but this remains to be seen as Optoma has not yet released these details, or I can't find them.
Sorry, this response was to diggumsmax response above.
post #335 of 707 Old 08-17-2019, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I went with the XY screen based on forum posts, Youtube videos and mainly price for product. Close second for price would have been the viewsonic bcp120, but the Elite CLR was about a grand more and I couldn't justify the difference.
post #336 of 707 Old 08-18-2019, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Did someone test the xy fresnel screen ?
juic-E-juice likes this.
post #337 of 707 Old 08-18-2019, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Have seen P1 in action in HK AV Show last weekend, cannot comment on image quality because the booth is open without proper light control, its projected on a 100 inch ALR, impression is not bad with full environment lights from everywhere, but seems it has worser rainbow effect on bright white colour compare with its little LED brother UHL55, which I am currently using.
post #338 of 707 Old 08-18-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkle View Post
I really appreciate the feedback granted it's a shame that I can't use my Firehawk with the Optoma. Based of the vertical offset, it looks like I'm going to need a new av cabinet too. My current one is more than likely too tall. I might be able to do a 100 inches but the screen would be almost touching the ceiling with my current cabinet. Oh well, at least I know what I need to do now.

Considering the price of these UST ALR screens, I'm still going to wait until I get my projector before I buy a screen. I have to measure everything 5 to 6 times before spending that much on a screen to make sure I can make it work.

I took four years off buying any av equipment outside of gaming consoles. I had forgotten how quickly things add up. I did find some av cabinets built specifically for UST projectors but they are also out of my price range. I really need to know the vertical offset before I can make any real decisions. I may DIY the av cabinet. As ered pointed out, the offset will be more for 120 than 100. 110 would probably be the sweet spot for me but the only brand I could find that has screens at that size is SI.

imhotep6 likes this.

Last edited by diggumsmax; 08-18-2019 at 05:32 AM.
post #339 of 707 Old 08-18-2019, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Has anyone found a 120” fresnel screen yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #340 of 707 Old 08-18-2019, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Considering the price of these UST ALR screens, I'm still going to wait until I get my projector before I buy a screen. I have to measure everything 5 to 6 times before spending that much on a screen to make sure I can make it work.
That's a good idea. You will know exactly where the image lies in relation to projector/credenza to make the most informed purchase

Quote:
As ered pointed out, the offset will be more for 120 than 100. 110 would probably be the sweet spot for me but the only brand I could find that has screens at that size is SI.
Da-lite also offers sizes between 100-120": https://www.projectorscreen.com/da-l...&sort=PriceAsc
diggumsmax likes this.
post #341 of 707 Old 08-18-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juic-E-juice View Post
Has anyone found a 120” fresnel screen yet?

From my research, Fresnel currently maxes out at 100. I couldn't find anyone that would ship the XY fresnel screen. They are hard screen and I was told by one reseller in China that it was around 175lbs to ship. They wouldn't do it due to size and weight, at least not for an individual order of one screen. They immediately started telling me to look at the XY pet crystal screens. DNP maxes out at 100 as well and I couldn't even find a price on one. It seems like Fresnel screens are mostly used for conference rooms with extremely high ambient light at the moment.

post #342 of 707 Old 08-18-2019, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Ended up with a 90” elite clr screen on its way. Got a great deal and seating is close so don’t need too big. Now just need the projector to release.

Eagle13 likes this.
post #343 of 707 Old 08-18-2019, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know the projector isn't out yet, but What's the best way to buy this in Canada? Are we impacted by trump tax?
post #344 of 707 Old 08-18-2019, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
https://youtu.be/caqoasD2sjU anyone recommending this screen it looks fantastic
post #345 of 707 Old 08-18-2019, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just read the spec sheet on the projector, the input lag is a little disappointing. Does it have a 1080p 120hz mode, and would input lag be slightly lower in this mode? thanks

Input Response 55ms (4K UHD, 60 Hz, Game Mode) SmartFIT and PureMotion must be disabled for Game Mode
post #346 of 707 Old 08-19-2019, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
@tonymaxbirt where did you find the input lag? 55ms would be acceptable considering most of 4K UST pjs perform around 60 to 100 (even the new LG is 57 in game mode I believe)
post #347 of 707 Old 08-19-2019, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
@Tuan (a rep from Optoma) confirmed 3D early on in this thread.

Then it's just strange it wasn't even mentioned in the latest, official specifications and all those preceeding these.

Assuming Optoma's target group are not traditional front projector users but folks that want a bigger, affordable flat image - and bearing in mind that new flat screens no longer support 3D - I'd consider the lack of mentioning a missed PR opportunity, to say the least.
CopyRon likes this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #348 of 707 Old 08-19-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
Then it's just strange it wasn't even mentioned in the latest, official specifications and all those preceeding these.

Assuming Optoma's target group are not traditional front projector users but folks that want a bigger, affordable flat image - and bearing in mind that new flat screens no longer support 3D - I'd consider the lack of mentioning a missed PR opportunity, to say the least.
Optoma P1 3D appears to be fully supported as stated in the data sheet at https://www.*********************/up..._Datasheet.pdf ; my problem is that the vertical offset is higher than expected.
Eagle13 likes this.
post #349 of 707 Old 08-19-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Optoma P1 3D appears to be fully supported as stated in the data sheet at https://www.*********************/up..._Datasheet.pdf ; my problem is that the vertical offset is higher than expected.
Appears that I can't post a URL; just go to value electronics website and look at the P1 spec sheet.
Brajesh, GregK and Eagle13 like this.
post #350 of 707 Old 08-19-2019, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Unless the Picture quality is horrendous, this will be my next UST PJ. Currently using a Viewsonic LS 820 which honestly isn't bad PQ wise, but its 3 years old and doesn't accept 4k. If the Optoma can match the Viewsonic in regards to color gamut (it should) and I can have 4K/HDR10/HLG, etc... I'm happy.
post #351 of 707 Old 08-19-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatching View Post
https://youtu.be/caqoasD2sjU anyone recommending this screen it looks fantastic
I don't think it looks very good at all in this video paired with the UST. The way ALR works is by rejecting light from certain angles. A UST ALR screen should not work well with a standard throw projector and vice versa. This stuff is advertised to work with all throws which is probably why it doesn't look very good with the UST in this video.
Eagle13 and Mikkle like this.
post #352 of 707 Old 08-19-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked: 1267
***What I've always maintained is that with 4K and regardless of the technology - OLED, LCD or Projector -- what really matters is how a 720p or 1080i source is "upscaled." That is most of my content from cable or OTA. Yes, I do have Netflix and Amazon and I would certainly hope that the picture will be better with a native 1080p/4K/4K+HDR feed.

I'm really excited about UST PJ's and believe they are they easiest path to that "large screen experience." I'm sure there will be some hiccups along the way and it would be great if more manufacturers got into the game with more UST products/options.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 08-19-2019 at 06:39 AM.
post #353 of 707 Old 08-19-2019, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I don't think it looks very good at all in this video paired with the UST. The way ALR works is by rejecting light from certain angles. A UST ALR screen should not work well with a standard throw projector and vice versa. This stuff is advertised to work with all throws which is probably why it doesn't look very good with the UST in this video.
How do you think it would pair with a wall in perfect condition treated with grey ALR paint? It's quite expensive but still cheaper and more ergonomic than buying and fitting a dedicated screen.
post #354 of 707 Old 08-19-2019, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
After seeing the specs I think that this PJ suits more my desires. I was thinking about buying the Wemax A300 but the Optima gives me more a good feeling. I'm quite sure that the 3D will be better than Xiaomis that seems to screw up the colours. So now I have to wait at least another month. Hopefully it will be released in Germany the same time it comes out abroad.
Hopefully it will play 24fps and 50fps without stuttering. That was another big let down with Xiaomi. I'm looking forward spending my money with Optoma.
redindian75 likes this.
post #355 of 707 Old 08-19-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self-Righteous View Post
How do you think it would pair with a wall in perfect condition treated with grey ALR paint? It's quite expensive but still cheaper and more ergonomic than buying and fitting a dedicated screen.
No idea, but I am familiar with Paint on Screen and their coatings. They are very popular and work fantastic.

https://www.projectorscreen.com/proj...aint-on-screen

Coatings can work very well but if it all rests in the application. Any texture on the wall will distort your pixel's geometry and reduce the clarity. These types of coatings are not ideal for ALR due to how ALR actually works. They may give you darker blacks and a higher perceived contrast, but they are possibly claiming "ALR" by reducing viewing angle (so reducing light hitting screen from sides) and amplifying projected image back to you with a high gain, increasing the brightness of the projected light.

That video definitely did not demonstrate ALR properties like you would see from a proper surface.
post #356 of 707 Old 08-19-2019, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Checking the specs, interesting to see that HDMI ARC is actually passing through Dolby Digital Plus...so theoretically Dolby Atmos content with a DA soundbar or AV receiver should work!
Eagle13 and Johnny nz like this.
post #357 of 707 Old 08-19-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Per one of my contacts at Optoma today:

Notes about vertical offset: In order to calculate where the image from the projector will lie in relation to the table/credenza/stand you will take the height of the image you wish to make and multiply it by .24 and then round down to the nearest inch.

- Example: 100" Diagonal Screen is 49" tall

- .24 * 49= 11.76", rounded down to 11".

- The reasoning for rounding down is to accommodate the slight variances as well as the ability to adjust projector positioning with the feet on bottom of the projector.
Eagle13, NotShorty and Johnny nz like this.
post #358 of 707 Old 08-19-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Per one of my contacts at Optoma today:

Notes about vertical offset: In order to calculate where the image from the projector will lie in relation to the table/credenza/stand you will take the height of the image you wish to make and multiply it by .24 and then round down to the nearest inch.

- Example: 100" Diagonal Screen is 49" tall

- .24 * 49= 11.76", rounded down to 11".

- The reasoning for rounding down is to accommodate the slight variances as well as the ability to adjust projector positioning with the feet on bottom of the projector.
Is the vertical offset distance from the shelf/ cabinet the UST projector is sitting on or the top of the projector which is just over 5 inches. I believe others have stated it's from the shelf/cabinet but just want to verify.

post #359 of 707 Old 08-19-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Moderator Edit: Link removed due to virus alert

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus

Last edited by rboster; 08-19-2019 at 06:32 PM.
post #360 of 707 Old 08-19-2019, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae80uk View Post
55ms would be acceptable considering most of 4K UST pjs perform around 60 to 100 (even the new LG is 57 in game mode I believe)

...projectors are not really competitive against other gamers on 4ms monitors, unfortunately. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page