Optoma P1 4k Laser UST @ CES - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 777Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #421 of 1687 Old 08-25-2019, 09:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny nz View Post
I have a problem with this screen, I don’t want to leave the projector on the floor to get kicked , also Carpet would be a big problem with fluff and being unstable so this type of photo is not without a lot of cons
You certainly wouldn't have to leave anything on the floor. I believe that the reviewer set things up that way, for simplicity, so he could get the review video out quickly. He has what looks like 2' above the upper border of the screen. One could easily put the screen on top of a credenza, and sit the projector on the credenza as well. Or, that screen also comes with wall mount brackets. My plan is to wall mount the screen about 18" above the floor level, and have a floating shelf just underneath the screen, for the projector to sit atop.

@chinmokutak - this screen could easily be the solution to your problem, wanting to be able to adjust it in small increments - there is a built-in adjustment, where you can adjust in fine increments, how high the screen rises out of its casing. If you position your existing UST projector in the mid-range, then you could adjust the screen to come out less or more, in the future. That's a win, to me?
TTBear is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #422 of 1687 Old 08-26-2019, 05:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Germany
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
While doing my researches about the P1 I found an UK reseller who has a selling price of 3999GBP (4400€ or 4900USD)


My hopes of 2999USD are fading. :-(
copperfield74 is online now  
post #423 of 1687 Old 08-26-2019, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Frank714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Berlin
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Vivitek also has a UST projector in their pipeline, the HK5200: http://www.szzs360.com/topic/2019/vivitek/3/index.htm


Considering Vivitek's good standing record, I'd believe they are the competitor Optoma should or could be afraid of, so perhaps we'll still end up at 2,999 $ internationally, based on that and other competition...


I should perhaps also mention, that there is a comeback or improvement of the original and larger 4K XPR 0.66" DMD with a native resolution of 2716×1528 pixels (in contrast to the 1920 x 1080 of the 0.47" DMD), that we'll see first in the Acer V 7850 BD (and which comes with 3D support!) and later this year in a Vivitek.
Johnny nz and copperfield74 like this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde

Last edited by Frank714; 08-26-2019 at 06:11 AM.
Frank714 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #424 of 1687 Old 08-26-2019, 08:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 7
$3999 canadian for preorders of the Cinemax P1 at Eastporters in Mississauga Ontario. That works out to less than $2999 usd. European prices seem to be much higher than american prices for the same products.
Floorit72 is online now  
post #425 of 1687 Old 08-26-2019, 08:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorit72 View Post
$3999 canadian for preorders of the Cinemax P1 at Eastporters in Mississauga Ontario. That works out to less than $2999 usd. European prices seem to be much higher than american prices for the same products.
That is slightly flawed thinking, perhaps?

The Eastporters pricing is their “discount” pricing, whereas their “full retail pricing” was quoted as CDN $6000+.

I live in hope that the actual MSRP in the US is $3000, and the retail CDN pricing is a commensurate ~$4000!
copperfield74 likes this.
TTBear is offline  
post #426 of 1687 Old 08-26-2019, 08:55 AM
Newbie
 
krazykozak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did someone ever post how far from the wall / screen the projector needs to be in order to project 120 inches?

I saw how to calculate the height of where the image is projected - but how deep does my media unit need to be? (is it 26 1/8 inches - .25 X 104.5 (width of 120 inch 16:9 screen) from the FRONT of the unit or is it 29 inches from front of unit since the light looks like it comes from 3 inches in)

Thanks

Last edited by krazykozak; 08-26-2019 at 10:00 AM. Reason: found new info
krazykozak is offline  
post #427 of 1687 Old 08-26-2019, 01:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykozak View Post
Did someone ever post how far from the wall / screen the projector needs to be in order to project 120 inches?



I saw how to calculate the height of where the image is projected - but how deep does my media unit need to be? (is it 26 1/8 inches - .25 X 104.5 (width of 120 inch 16:9 screen) from the FRONT of the unit or is it 29 inches from front of unit since the light looks like it comes from 3 inches in)



Thanks
Check out the spec sheet that was posted a few comments ago. A lot of these questions are addressed all on the spec sheet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Eagle13 likes this.
J Bone is online now  
post #428 of 1687 Old 08-26-2019, 03:17 PM
Newbie
 
krazykozak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bone View Post
Check out the spec sheet that was posted a few comments ago. A lot of these questions are addressed all on the spec sheet.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Perfect thanks
Eagle13 likes this.
krazykozak is offline  
post #429 of 1687 Old 08-26-2019, 06:04 PM
Member
 
zdjelar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ered View Post
The Optoma P1 has a throw ratio of 0.25. The vertical offset will be proportional to the distance the projector is away from the wall, and is a function of the laser prismatic throw angle which is oriented sharply upward for a UST projector. It is not clear yet what the offset will be and is often represented as the vertical distance from the the counter on which the projector rests to the bottom of the image. Reviewing other UST projectors it would seem that the vertical offset would be somewhere around 13" - 15" for a 120" diagonal image, but this remains to be seen as Optoma has not yet released these details, or I can't find them.
I’m also trying to figure out how far away from the wall the unit will have to sit and how much total depth i need to account for. If it’s close to the LG, it’ll have to be ~7.2 inches from wall and then add the Optoma’s depth which is 15 inches for an approximate total 22.2 inches away from wall to the front edge of the P1. Am i way off on this?
zdjelar is offline  
post #430 of 1687 Old 08-26-2019, 06:12 PM
Member
 
zdjelar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykozak View Post
Perfect thanks
I’m not doubting that this is the spec sheet and accurate, but seems odd that it would require twice the distance from the wall to the back of the unit as the LG (7.2 vs. 14.5). I get that different ratios, lenses, whatever could be used, but double? Just seems odd.

For reference, see page 28 of the LG manual: http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile...0zZ0VI28Ff64fQ
zdjelar is offline  
post #431 of 1687 Old 08-26-2019, 09:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So, apparently the pricing for North America has not even been decided as of yet.

This, from the Director for Optoma, Canada:


At the moment, there is no final pricing that has been released for the CinemaX P1 for Canada. In fact, I was at our corporate head office last week (California) and there was nothing final released yet for North America (USA included).


Hmmm........
TTBear is offline  
post #432 of 1687 Old 08-27-2019, 05:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 73
With the projector launching in "2 weeks", honestly all this mist around the price looks so weird...
Maybe it's been pushed back to mid Oct :I

Ah Optoma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
So, apparently the pricing for North America has not even been decided as of yet.

This, from the Director for Optoma, Canada:


At the moment, there is no final pricing that has been released for the CinemaX P1 for Canada. In fact, I was at our corporate head office last week (California) and there was nothing final released yet for North America (USA included).


Hmmm........
Gae80uk is offline  
post #433 of 1687 Old 08-27-2019, 04:59 PM
Member
 
chinmokutak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae80uk View Post
With the projector launching in "2 weeks", honestly all this mist around the price looks so weird...
Maybe it's been pushed back to mid Oct :I

Ah Optoma...
I was thinking exactly that, lack of information seems really weird...
chinmokutak is offline  
post #434 of 1687 Old 08-27-2019, 06:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimo View Post
60 ms input latency

Looks like I won't be purchasing a UST this year after all.
Yeah, not so good for gaming.
Chapla1n is offline  
post #435 of 1687 Old 08-27-2019, 06:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post
...there is a comeback or improvement of the original and larger 4K XPR 0.66" DMD with a native resolution of 2716×1528 pixels (in contrast to the 1920 x 1080 of the 0.47" DMD)...

Good to know, thanks! Will be interesting to see how that affects performance. I wonder if that'll feature more in CES 2020's crop of PJs.
Chapla1n is offline  
post #436 of 1687 Old 08-27-2019, 11:12 PM
Member
 
chinmokutak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapla1n View Post
Yeah, not so good for gaming.
How bad is it? Can't even do casual gaming?
chinmokutak is offline  
post #437 of 1687 Old 08-28-2019, 02:38 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Guys,

Question about the P1, my screen is 150" and I read that the P1 has a max size of 120".

Would the P1 be capable of projecting a 150" image, all be it at a greater thro distance?

TIA.
Nick Hubbard is offline  
post #438 of 1687 Old 08-28-2019, 05:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 73
50-60ms is fine for casual gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmokutak View Post
How bad is it? Can't even do casual gaming?
chinmokutak and drdoom2k like this.
Gae80uk is offline  
post #439 of 1687 Old 08-28-2019, 06:36 AM
Senior Member
 
ProjectionHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hubbard View Post
Hi Guys,

Question about the P1, my screen is 150" and I read that the P1 has a max size of 120".

Would the P1 be capable of projecting a 150" image, all be it at a greater thro distance?

TIA.
If you try to make a larger image than a projector states it is "capable of" you will end up out of focus. I'd stick with up to a 120" with this unit
ProjectionHead is online now  
post #440 of 1687 Old 08-28-2019, 06:40 AM
Member
 
chinmokutak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gae80uk View Post
50-60ms is fine for casual gaming
great!
chinmokutak is offline  
post #441 of 1687 Old 08-28-2019, 10:44 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmokutak View Post
How bad is it? Can't even do casual gaming?

Casual gaming will be fine, it's more an issue for FPSes. Going from a 4ms monitor to my 25-30ms BenQ 1080ST was, well, not really an adjustment, you just ended up walking around a corner and already dead, or having to aim narrowly in front of a moving target to register hits, or being killed seemingly with one shot, but on reviewing the killcam, realizing you'd been hit 3 times. 60ms... not sure if that'll make FPSes unplayable... looking forward to some real-life reviews.
Chapla1n is offline  
post #442 of 1687 Old 08-28-2019, 11:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
A few have asked about media stands. I've been looking for some low-and-long versions myself, so here's a few I found in US stores, from the swanky to the functional. :-)





https://www.furniturecart.com/cloud-...furniture.html


https://www.furniturecart.com/triest...furniture.html


https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pd...?piid=33577926
(I went for this one due to having more space for more kit.)



And this one may be too tall for most...
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pd...-stss1106.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	media_stands.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	2608766  

Last edited by Chapla1n; 08-29-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Chapla1n is offline  
post #443 of 1687 Old 08-28-2019, 12:58 PM
Senior Member
 
ProjectionHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdjelar View Post
I’m not doubting that this is the spec sheet and accurate, but seems odd that it would require twice the distance from the wall to the back of the unit as the LG (7.2 vs. 14.5). I get that different ratios, lenses, whatever could be used, but double? Just seems odd.

For reference, see page 28 of the LG manual: http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile...0zZ0VI28Ff64fQ
It's accurate. The LG has a more expensive lens which allows it to be closer to the screen than Optoma, which is half the cost of the LG.
ProjectionHead is online now  
post #444 of 1687 Old 08-28-2019, 03:21 PM
Member
 
chinmokutak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapla1n View Post
A few have asked about media stands. I've been looking for some low-and-long versions myself, so here's a few I found in US stores, from the swanky to the functional. :-)



https://www.furniturecart.com/cloud-...furniture.html


https://www.furniturecart.com/triest...furniture.html


https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pd...?piid=33577926
(I went for this one due to having more space for more kit.)



And this one may be too tall for most...
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pd...-stss1106.html
Do people recommend buying media stand first or screen first?
chinmokutak is offline  
post #445 of 1687 Old 08-28-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Troy LaMont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,123
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectionHead View Post
It's accurate. The LG has a more expensive lens which allows it to be closer to the screen than Optoma, which is half the cost of the LG.
I don't know where you think the lens in the LG is "more expensive" just because it has a different throw ratio? That was just a choice in optics, doesn't make it more expensive, just different.

Interestingly, Optoma actually advertises they have an all glass lens of high(er) quality and LG doesn't so if anything I would tend to think that the Optoma has a more expensive lens.

Let's stick with the facts.

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
Gaming: Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor

Last edited by Troy LaMont; 08-28-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Troy LaMont is offline  
post #446 of 1687 Old 08-28-2019, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Troy LaMont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,123
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdjelar View Post
I’m not doubting that this is the spec sheet and accurate, but seems odd that it would require twice the distance from the wall to the back of the unit as the LG (7.2 vs. 14.5). I get that different ratios, lenses, whatever could be used, but double? Just seems odd.

For reference, see page 28 of the LG manual: http://gscs-b2c.lge.com/downloadFile...0zZ0VI28Ff64fQ
The difference in price comes from the 3 lasers the LG unit uses; one for blue, one for red and then another blue one that emits through phosphor for green. The lasers themselves are the most expensive component and since the LG has 3 vs 1, that's where the "real" price difference comes from, not the lens.

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
Gaming: Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
Troy LaMont is offline  
post #447 of 1687 Old 08-28-2019, 04:19 PM
Member
 
chinmokutak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post
The difference in price comes from the 3 lasers the LG unit uses; one for blue, one for red and then another blue one that emits through phosphor for green. The lasers themselves are the most expensive component and since the LG has 3 vs 1, that's where the "real" price difference comes from, not the lens.
I thought LG was two laser, not three am I wrong?
chinmokutak is offline  
post #448 of 1687 Old 08-28-2019, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Troy LaMont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,123
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmokutak View Post
I thought LG was two laser, not three am I wrong?
2 blue and one red, they advertise as 2 (red and blue) but it's actually 3 in use that's why this UST projector doesn't need a color wheel. There are true three laser UST projectors on the horizon (one red, one green, one blue) from Hisense, but it's double the price of this LG plus some. More lasers=more price.

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
Gaming: Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
Troy LaMont is offline  
post #449 of 1687 Old 08-28-2019, 04:40 PM
Member
 
chinmokutak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post
2 blue and one red, they advertise as 2 (red and blue) but it's actually 3 in use that's why this UST projector doesn't need a color wheel. There are true three laser UST projectors on the horizon (one red, one green, one blue) from Hisense, but it's double the price of this LG plus some. More lasers=more price.
Ahhh, hmm now I'm starting to wonder if I made a rushed decision by going with Optoma...
chinmokutak is offline  
post #450 of 1687 Old 08-28-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Troy LaMont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Studio City, CA
Posts: 2,123
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmokutak View Post
Ahhh, hmm now I'm starting to wonder if I made a rushed decision by going with Optoma...
The Optoma will be no slouch, I'd be willing to bet it's the best single blue laser on the market when it's released. They have the only known laser modulated Dynamic Black enhancement in a UST, they will have 1000% better audio (if that's important), they also support HLG HDR which the LG doesn't. Pure speculation but I'd be willing to bet you'll get at least 80% of the visual performance from the Optoma as the LG but for half the price. That's a pretty respectable trade off if you ask me.

If you look at the review for the LG on projectorreviews.com, you'll note that the calibrator wasn't too happy with the DCI-P3 color implementation because the red was too hot and the other colors didn't quite get there. One of the reasons dual lasers is the bees knees is because of the expanded color gamut, so if LG messed that up, then it's really a moot point. The only other thing that the LG has going for it is the bigger DLP array (.66 vs .47) so the contrast should be better but projectorreviews.com doesn't really go into details or measurements about contrast so we'll have to wait and see on that front.

I think you'll be very happy with the Optoma if everything pans out.

Cheers.

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
Gaming: Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor

Last edited by Troy LaMont; 08-29-2019 at 04:20 AM.
Troy LaMont is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off