Optoma P1 4k Laser UST @ CES - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 781Likes

post #601 of 1702 Old 09-09-2019, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae80uk View Post
Sorry guys, didn't want to ignite a debate about screens again.

Let's focus on P1:
actually I have noticed that the EU version has better specs (3.200 lumens, 2.000.000:1 contrast) and bigger price (£3.999 tbc) so I have asked Optoma EU clarifications about it. Link below:
https://www.projectors.co.uk/optoma-...SAAEgLXe_D_BwE

Maybe the EU is the "Pro version" popped up on the Chinese website..?
Will keep you posted with their reply

I agree - I deleted a message of mine, originally posted in response to Mike. Apologies, Mike, I was viewing on my phone, and in retrospect, there are ripples there, especially at 1:15!!

It would be interesting to know whether the EU version truly has better specs, all right.

Waiting with bated breath, as I recently switched my deposit from the LG HU85LA to the Optoma P1....
CopyRon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1702 Old 09-09-2019, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
I agree - I deleted a message of mine, originally posted in response to Mike. Apologies, Mike, I was viewing on my phone, and in retrospect, there are ripples there, especially at 1:15!!

It would be interesting to know whether the EU version truly has better specs, all right.

Waiting with bated breath, as I recently switched my deposit from the LG HU85LA to the Optoma P1....

And still supports 3D

It wasn't broke 'till I fixed it!!
UN78JS9500 UN55HU9000 UN46F8000BFXZA
UBD-K8500/ZA (2) UBD-K9500
Denon AVR X3500H (2)
Harmony Elite (2)
post #603 of 1702 Old 09-09-2019, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Sorry guys, didn't want to ignite a debate about screens again.

Let's focus on P1:
actually I have noticed that the EU version has better specs (3.200 lumens, 2.000.000:1 contrast) and bigger price (£3.999 tbc) so I have asked Optoma EU clarifications about it. Link below:
https://www.projectors.co.uk/optoma-...SAAEgLXe_D_BwE

Maybe the EU is the "Pro version" popped up on the Chinese website..?
Will keep you posted with their reply
WTF??? 1500USD more expensive than the US model? This is a joke, right? Why on earth should we pay 1500USD more than our american friends? Just because of 200 lumens?
If the german one is the same price I'll pass on this one. That's nearly a Xiaomi Mijia 4K more expensive. Why would they do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 1702 Old 09-09-2019, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 73
@copperfield74 I know mate, it's a scandal! It's actually $1600 more for a slight more pumped unit...not worth it! And they blame different warranty and taxes fares...right!

Hope Optoma EU gets this right and align with U.S. price or it's just more convenient to fly over U.S. grab one and come back!
post #605 of 1702 Old 09-09-2019, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
@copperfield74 I know mate, it's a scandal! It's actually $1600 more for a slight more pumped unit...not worth it! And they blame different warranty and taxes fares...right!

Hope Optoma EU gets this right and align with U.S. price or it's just more convenient to fly over U.S. grab one and come back! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
@Gae80uk so they have to raise the price because of the warranty??? Well, off they don't believe in their product why should I? The warranty in Germany is 2 years, and they say that it should be good for around 20000 hours (around 7-8 years depending on usage). If they're not lying it should be no risk for them if they'd believe in their product.
I'll accompany you on the trip to US. 😉
post #606 of 1702 Old 09-09-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Video posted by ProjectorPeople... all these clips popping up have me impatient for a real, in-depth review video or write-up...

g4s and drdoom2k like this.

Hi-deft Media Keen Videosaurus
post #607 of 1702 Old 09-09-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post
Video posted by ProjectorPeople... all these clips popping up have me impatient for a real, in-depth review video or write-up...

https://youtu.be/vyv-eqjY1A8

Has me a little concerned. Usually, if a company imposes a gag order on reviews prior to launch it’s not a good sign. And if you still don’t see a review for weeks or months post launch you pretty much know there are serious issues. The newest offerings from JVC and BenQ come to mind. Both had major QC issues initially and nobody reviewed them until at least a month after they had been on sale. This was incredibly odd to me considering they were some of the most anticipated projectors in years. I would much rather them delay, than let early adopters pay to beta test. I truly hope my hunch Is wrong on this.
post #608 of 1702 Old 09-09-2019, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

I really want to hear how truly quiet it is... Looking great!

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #609 of 1702 Old 09-10-2019, 02:54 AM

Yeah, I feel you mate...picture quality looks very good compared to any UST pj in this price range, even with the LG one.

I believe we will start seeing many other test/reviews next week onwards when it is released

Quote:

drdoom2k likes this.
post #610 of 1702 Old 09-10-2019, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by oni222 View Post
The LG UST Laser projector shown in CES for less than $3000 has two lasers ...
I think the price is 3k per laser.
post #611 of 1702 Old 09-10-2019, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post
So CEDIA starts the 10th? Is that when we will start seeing some calibrated reviews and concrete info on the new projector lot? P1 lg85 jvc laser etc.?

Last time I checked Optoma wasn't on CEDIA's exhibitor list.

Went yesterday to the IFA booth which popped up with the search word "Optoma" but that was a dead end.

The Hisense UST laser projector presentation with the special ALR screen (which is also where the sound comes from) was very impressive at IFA (probably this year's highlight) but IIRC it's rather expensive at 15,000 $.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #612 of 1702 Old 09-10-2019, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
This new XY floor rising ALR screen looks quite ripple-free to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQi9...wyY0H85CEJ%3A6
Elite will be releasing their 100" floor rising Kestrel UST ALR which will be available via a select ProjectorScreen reseller in mid October and then rolled out to other vendors in December along with the 120" size.

The 100" will sell for $3,999 MSRP; not sure about the 120" yet.

I will post more details in the Screens sub once available.

I expect it to be a pretty big step up from Vividstorm in terms of performance, flatness and construction.
post #613 of 1702 Old 09-10-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
Has me a little concerned. Usually, if a company imposes a gag order on reviews prior to launch it’s not a good sign. And if you still don’t see a review for weeks or months post launch you pretty much know there are serious issues. The newest offerings from JVC and BenQ come to mind. Both had major QC issues initially and nobody reviewed them until at least a month after they had been on sale. This was incredibly odd to me considering they were some of the most anticipated projectors in years. I would much rather them delay, than let early adopters pay to beta test. I truly hope my hunch Is wrong on this.
In regards to the Optoma; they have what they call an "embargo" on releasing of information until a date that they determine. In this case it was 9/3. You aren't seeing any in depth reviews of the P1 as the only units that were circulating were pre-production units.
Once they start shipping (expected next week), final versions will be in peoples hands and then you should expect to start seeing the more robust reviews.
Eagle13 likes this.
post #614 of 1702 Old 09-10-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdub69 View Post
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has a budget option for screens. Looking at something from amazon.ca since I have a dark theater room with very little light. Should I get a non alr screen for now or use my dark wall and save for a xyz alr screen? Thanks inadvance as people are saying I can get a $200 screen and its decent?
It may be decent for brightness, but it wont resolve 4k pixels due to the surface texture.
In a dark room, we tested the P1 on the Grandview UHD130 surface. It is the least expensive, legit 4k surface and is also ISF certified.
The image looked fantastic, head to head against the SI Short Throw surface.... until we turned on the lights. with the lights on the white UHD130 surface was (as expected) totally washed out, while the SI short throw surface still looked great.

Long story short, in a dark theater room a traditional white screen will look great. As a TV replacement in a moderate/highly lit room, go for a UST ALR.
post #615 of 1702 Old 09-10-2019, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank714 View Post

Went yesterday to the IFA booth which popped up with the search word "Optoma" but that was a dead end.

The Hisense UST laser projector presentation with the special ALR screen (which is also where the sound comes from) was very impressive at IFA (probably this year's highlight) but IIRC it's rather expensive at 15,000 $.

Did you see the new epson LS500 UST on their booth ? Would like to know how it perform.
post #616 of 1702 Old 09-10-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Difficult to say because it was difficult to see. Hisense used an ALR screen, Epson did not and therefore the image looked somewhat washed out. Better to wait for tests in an optimal environment.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #617 of 1702 Old 09-10-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:

I'm real interested in how the sound is coming from the screen on this model. I'm familiar with their current USA models with the integrated audio int he projector and wireless sub but nothign that has audio coming from the screen. I gotta give me contact at Hisense a call.....
post #618 of 1702 Old 09-10-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectionHead View Post
Elite will be releasing their 100" floor rising Kestrel UST ALR which will be available via a select ProjectorScreen reseller in mid October and then rolled out to other vendors in December along with the 120" size.

The 100" will sell for $3,999 MSRP; not sure about the 120" yet.

I will post more details in the Screens sub once available.

I expect it to be a pretty big step up from Vividstorm in terms of performance, flatness and construction.
Ah that's great, I doubt there will be any takers to drop $4k on a 100" screen... when P1 is even less then that

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #619 of 1702 Old 09-10-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
Ah that's great, I doubt there will be any takers to drop $4k on a 100" screen... when P1 is even less then that
There may not be many, but I think there will be a few? How many people buy Ferraris?

I think the attraction for this screen will be where having a permanent 100" screen is not desireable, or feasible. For example, we are using a floor riser in front of a window (regular drop-down screen won't fit between wooden beams in our warehouse condo), so here, this screen would be perfect. There is no way we could mount a screen that size, without blocking the window.

There definitely is that element of a law of diminishing returns - it'll be expensive, no doubt, but there will be takers, for sure.

I'm in, Brian. Thanks for the update!
ProjectionHead likes this.
post #620 of 1702 Old 09-10-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Maybe not for the P1, but there are more premium (and expensive) USTs available and will also be in the future. It's also about $1600 less expensive than the SI SOlo Pro 2 w/ Short Throw surface (wall/ceiling mounted electric).
I can only imagine that there would be a bundle deal available on this screen and the P1, HU85LA, etc to bring that cost below $3,999......
TTBear likes this.
post #621 of 1702 Old 09-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Quote:

We will have reps at the ADI Global booth. A P1 will be on display there.
Frank714 likes this.
post #622 of 1702 Old 09-10-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There may not be many, but I think there will be a few? How many people buy Ferraris?

I think the attraction for this screen will be where having a permanent 100" screen is not desireable, or feasible. For example, we are using a floor riser in front of a window (regular drop-down screen won't fit between wooden beams in our warehouse condo), so here, this screen would be perfect. There is no way we could mount a screen that size, without blocking the window.

There definitely is that element of a law of diminishing returns - it'll be expensive, no doubt, but there will be takers, for sure.

I'm in, Brian. Thanks for the update!
You are missing the point. Who is shopping for P1 doesn't care for $4k 100" screen. Perhaps try selling this in another thread for $15k projector, that will be your "Ferrari" crowd

post #623 of 1702 Old 09-10-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
You are missing the point. Who is shopping for P1 doesn't care for $4k 100" screen. Perhaps try selling this in another thread for $15k projector, that will be your "Ferrari" crowd
Please. Just stop.

Why wouldn't you plan ahead? Buy the screen, with the intent of upgrading your projector at some time in the future... and you are completely wrong. I am cross-shopping the P1/HU85LA to pair with this screen, so your assumption (again, assuming that your opinion is omniscient, and all-encompassing.... ) that "who is shopping for P1 doesn't care for $4k 100" screen" is obviously wrong.

Why wouldn't someone buy the screen initially? It makes sense, as it may well be built-in. Then, if and when one decides that technology has advanced far enough to upgrade your projector, then you are good to go.

So, please, I shall re-iterate. Just. Stop. Please. Your opinion is just that. You know what they say about opinions..... Please consider that others might have their OWN opinions, that are just as valid as yours. Thanks.
post #624 of 1702 Old 09-10-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Please. Just stop.

Why wouldn't you plan ahead? Buy the screen, with the intent of upgrading your projector at some time in the future... and you are completely wrong. I am cross-shopping the P1/HU85LA to pair with this screen, so your assumption (again, assuming that your opinion is omniscient, and all-encompassing.... ) that "who is shopping for P1 doesn't care for $4k 100" screen" is obviously wrong.

Why wouldn't someone buy the screen initially? It makes sense, as it may well be built-in. Then, if and when one decides that technology has advanced far enough to upgrade your projector, then you are good to go.

So, please, I shall re-iterate. Just. Stop. Please. Your opinion is just that. You know what they say about opinions..... Please consider that others might have their OWN opinions, that are just as valid as yours. Thanks.
Welcome to the internet, it's full of opinions. Should everyone put IMHO in front of every opinion?

IMHO 100" screen for $4k is a huge waste of money, motorized or not.
Also IMHO, $500 fixed screen will be just as awesome with P1.
Also IMHO, you have some serious problems with others opinions about expensive screens.

post #625 of 1702 Old 09-10-2019, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:

Thank you for saying what I was thinking. Besides it’s not like where talking about a super car here. One is truly a marvel of engineering and a result of over a 100 years and billions of dollars of engineering. On the other hand it’s essentially a really big picture frame. I would be shocked if they weren’t all coming from the same factory anyway.
post #626 of 1702 Old 09-11-2019, 02:30 AM

Guys, if someone wanna spend $200 or $20000 for a screen is up to them.

It's about time to get excited about P1 being released next week so less judgements, more fun!
Eagle13, g4s, J Bone and 1 others like this.
post #627 of 1702 Old 09-11-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Guys, if someone wanna spend $200 or $20000 for a screen is up to them.

It's about time to get excited about P1 being released next week so less judgements, more fun!
Is there an actual concrete release date? That would be great! I switched my deposit from the P1 to the LG, but I truly think that you cannot lose with either. The deciding factor for me, was that in our situation, the shorter throw of the LG was the deciding factor. 3D and the black colour was almost enough to tip the balance the other way.

Second guessing sucks, haha
post #628 of 1702 Old 09-11-2019, 10:34 AM

not the $3k price gap?

Honestly if the price is not a blocker, I will consider LG for the fantastic OS, native 4K apps, picture quality and blacks...but the P1 looks like a winner in a cost/effective head to head

Let's see!

Quote:
Is there an actual concrete release date? That would be great! I switched my deposit from the P1 to the LG, but I truly think that you cannot lose with either. The deciding factor for me, was that in our situation, the shorter throw of the LG was the deciding factor. 3D and the black colour was almost enough to tip the balance the other way.

post #629 of 1702 Old 09-11-2019, 10:58 AM

Oh god, yes!! Price was definitely a factor, but for some reason, the pricing I got in Canada was MUCH more favourable!

(Eastporters for the win!! 😄 )

The difference ended up being CDN $2100, which is about five cents US hahaha.

That made the decision much easier. If I had had to choose, with a US$3000 difference, I would have gone with the P1, I am thinking.

Either way, I am still very curious about how the P1 will shake out. I was thinking there would be more full-on reviews by now?!?

Quote:
not the $3k price gap? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Honestly if the price is not a blocker, I will consider LG for the fantastic OS, native 4K apps, picture quality and blacks...but the P1 looks like a winner in a cost/effective head to head

Let's see!

Quote:

post #630 of 1702 Old 09-11-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Amazon listed preorder to be released on October 1 and they are usually pretty good about it. I will wait until you guys get it though and review it. Hoping it's as quiet as they say it is at 26 db and I can get rid of noisy Xiaomi once and for all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page