Optoma P1 4k Laser UST @ CES - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 791Likes

post #781 of 1730 Old 09-24-2019, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koeikan View Post
Any chance the (assumed) moratorium ends prior to release?
What do you mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 1730 Old 09-24-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectionHead View Post
Honestly, I'm surprised Amazon hasn't already sold out of these. If you have pre-orered from them, please keep us up to date if they are still expected to be shipping out next week or if they are turning orders into "backordered" status. If backordered it could be at least another 5 weeks before the next batch arrives in the USA.
Did Optoma build 10 of these? Since when people are rushing to drop $3.5k on this

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #783 of 1730 Old 09-24-2019, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
What do you mean?
I haven't seen any in depth reviews yet (measurements, calibrations, comparisons, etc). Saw a couple that were really high level, but didn't go into specifics/measurements/etc or other details (IE: focusing on the sound bar aspect more than the projection aspect).

I assumed (perhaps mistakenly) it was due to a moratorium on reviewers and we wouldn't see anything more in depth until that was lifted... but curious when that will be (or if there is another reason we haven't seen those types of reviews so far... or maybe I missed them).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 1730 Old 09-24-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
Did Optoma build 10 of these? Since when people are rushing to drop $3.5k on this
This has been one of the most anticipated projectors of the year. There has been no shortage of people placing their pre-orders and once finally released I'm certain the volume will only increase.

Optoma obviously underestimated the demand for this first shipment; hopefully they really ramp it up for the next wave.
Eagle13 likes this.
post #785 of 1730 Old 09-24-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen any in depth reviews yet (measurements, calibrations, comparisons, etc). Saw a couple that were really high level, but didn't go into specifics/measurements/etc or other details (IE: focusing on the sound bar aspect more than the projection aspect).

I assumed (perhaps mistakenly) it was due to a moratorium on reviewers and we wouldn't see anything more in depth until that was lifted... but curious when that will be (or if there is another reason we haven't seen those types of reviews so far... or maybe I missed them).
No moratorium reviews; just a lack of final production models into the reviewers hands. You should start seeing those reviews starting to be published as early as next week.
Eagle13 and Koeikan like this.
post #786 of 1730 Old 09-24-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This has been one of the most anticipated projectors of the year. There has been no shortage of people placing their pre-orders and once finally released I'm certain the volume will only increase.

Optoma obviously underestimated the demand for this first shipment; hopefully they really ramp it up for the next wave.
I put in my order with Amazon, says delivery on 10/3...

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #787 of 1730 Old 09-24-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Hopefully it doesn't turn into a backorder; keep us posted.
I know that some specialty shops still have unallocated units and have not sold out yet as well and are offering other incentives to beat Amazon.
Good Luck!
post #788 of 1730 Old 09-24-2019, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
No moratorium reviews; just a lack of final production models into the reviewers hands. You should start seeing those reviews starting to be published as early as next week.
coming from consumer electronics market, this lack of information seems extremely interesting... usually the market is filled with review/information even if reviewers only had review unit.
Is this norm in projector market? Do everyone just wait until the production units to become available
J Bone likes this.
post #789 of 1730 Old 09-24-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmokutak View Post
Quote:
coming from consumer electronics market, this lack of information seems extremely interesting... usually the market is filled with review/information even if reviewers only had review unit.
Is this norm in projector market? Do everyone just wait until the production units to become available
What are comparing to? Small, mass produced electronics, TVs? Every company or product has different process done there is no golden standard.

Perhaps they were running late tweaking firmware and didn't want anyone review unfinished product.

Also we can speculate that product is so good that they want to keep it low key so that people won't stop buying their other projectors or if it's bad they don't want others to review it before shipping. Of course then they will be flooded with returns. Notice how Amazon has "Free return" on it just like on clothing where you can return it for any reason even if you simply don't like it.

post #790 of 1730 Old 09-24-2019, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Teaser of the UHZ65UST (P1) to be released in Oct

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2521064781294778&id=389223354 478942

It's coming
post #791 of 1730 Old 09-24-2019, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 12
so what are my screen options for the P1? Has to be ust/alr right? Someone offer electrical one to drop down in front of my 75" tv,that would be cool
post #792 of 1730 Old 09-24-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodof View Post
so what are my screen options for the P1? Has to be ust/alr right? Someone offer electrical one to drop down in front of my 75" tv,that would be cool
No, it's recommended but if you are not going to watch in daylight or ambient light then you can go with any cheapo white screen. I've gotten by without ALR screen with my UST, but certainly wanting to get one in the future. Motorized ALR seem to be almost as much as the P1 itself though.

post #793 of 1730 Old 09-24-2019, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Quote:

Is that from amazon.com or amazon.ca?
post #794 of 1730 Old 09-24-2019, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdub69 View Post
Is that from amazon.com or amazon.ca?
com

post #795 of 1730 Old 09-25-2019, 12:25 AM

Quote:
What are comparing to? Small, mass produced electronics, TVs? Every company or product has different process done there is no golden standard.

Perhaps they were running late tweaking firmware and didn't want anyone review unfinished product.

Also we can speculate that product is so good that they want to keep it low key so that people won't stop buying their other projectors or if it's bad they don't want others to review it before shipping. Of course then they will be flooded with returns. Notice how Amazon has "Free return" on it just like on clothing where you can return it for any reason even if you simply don't like it.
Most of consumer electronics including TVs, phone, or laptops, reviewers often have either production unit or dev unit for them to review.
and I don't really know why would they even entertain the idea of keeping it low key considering they want to hype it up. The only thing I can think of was that they had issues with quality control of pre-production...
post #796 of 1730 Old 09-25-2019, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Most of consumer electronics including TVs, phone, or laptops, reviewers often have either production unit or dev unit for them to review.
and I don't really know why would they even entertain the idea of keeping it low key considering they want to hype it up. The only thing I can think of was that they had issues with quality control of pre-production...
They also would rather pay you $200 to review it after release... which was odd...

post #797 of 1730 Old 09-25-2019, 03:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i am thinking about sound setup for my central speaker...

P1 is so big that it will fill the depth of the stand so it seems impossible to place central speaker in front of it.

how are you thinking your audio setup? maybe it is possible to use p1 speaker as central one of home cinema?

Enviado desde mi POCOPHONE F1 mediante Tapatalk
post #798 of 1730 Old 09-25-2019, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
my current stand has a height of 22", with the center channel inside the stand. I have a 110" electric screen that drops down to 1/4" above the stand. I've been looking at 100" alr screens for the P1. If I end up needing to lower the media stand so the screen isn't too high I was going to mount the center channel on the wall below the screen.
post #799 of 1730 Old 09-25-2019, 06:26 AM
g4s

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.c.g. View Post

P1 is so big that it will fill the depth of the stand so it seems impossible to place central speaker in front of it.

how are you thinking your audio setup? maybe it is possible to use p1 speaker as central one of home cinema?

I made this small stand, pictured here with my oversized center channel. If I have room, I'll raise the speaker up as high as possible. Probably only an inch or so.
I'm going to get the projector up and running, then mark out where I need to drill a hole for wires in the stand and get the wire management mess taken care of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G4S_4443.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	2619766  
post #800 of 1730 Old 09-25-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.c.g. View Post

I think many people here have media stand. Puts the P1 on the top, center speaker will sit inside or in front of media stand.
post #801 of 1730 Old 09-25-2019, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 12
can the p1 soundbar be wired as the center speaker?
post #802 of 1730 Old 09-25-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Quote:
This is a common mistake.

ALR/UST screens are not required for UST projectors. You will want to be aware that you want a highly diffuse screen with any UST projector so you don't get major reflections onto the ceiling. But, a screen like the Silver Ticket in their white material actually is rated for use with UST projectors.

You MUST use a tab-tensioned screen if using a retractable screen. Quality models with standard material start at about $2,000. They go up from there rather swiftly, so plan your budget accordingly. I would just ditch the 75" TV and move it elsewhere and get a 120" ALR screen for full time usage if I got this projector in my family room.

I'm hoping that I can get a demo model for some testing of the P1 with a Silver Ticket screen that I can show in my basement (light controlled) and family room (open design) for testing/review purposes.
Casey_Bryson likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #803 of 1730 Old 09-25-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Quote:
can the p1 soundbar be wired as the center speaker?
This is not the first time I've heard this question and it deserves to be answered.

My guess is that 'NO' you can't use it as a center channel. Which begs the question as to WHY it wasn't designed to be used that way as it is a very logical step.

You can't set this projector onto another speaker. It must be physically isolated from the movement of a speaker, which is why the internal speakers are decoupled from the projection engine.

So, a lot of home owners who are looking to upgrade from the internal stereo to add a full surround sound system would likely love to utilize these speakers as a center.

It would have taken some thought and some planning to go this route, but I would be absolutely shocked if they did so.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #804 of 1730 Old 09-25-2019, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Quote:
Quote:
What do you mean?

There is no embargo on reviews, we just haven't sent any units out yet. Press units will go out shortly.
post #805 of 1730 Old 09-25-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post

There is no embargo on reviews, we just haven't sent any units out yet. Press units will go out shortly.
Please tell us the unit is super quiet? That's all I care 🙂

post #806 of 1730 Old 09-25-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
really out of everything that projector offers, the only thing you care about is noise
post #807 of 1730 Old 09-25-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
really out of everything that projector offers, the only thing you care about is noise [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Because that's the only biggest negative I have with my Xiaomi.

post #808 of 1730 Old 09-25-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
This is not the first time I've heard this question and it deserves to be answered.

My guess is that 'NO' you can't use it as a center channel. Which begs the question as to WHY it wasn't designed to be used that way as it is a very logical step.

You can't set this projector onto another speaker. It must be physically isolated from the movement of a speaker, which is why the internal speakers are decoupled from the projection engine.

So, a lot of home owners who are looking to upgrade from the internal stereo to add a full surround sound system would likely love to utilize these speakers as a center.

It would have taken some thought and some planning to go this route, but I would be absolutely shocked if they did so.
It cannot. I believe that has already been shared in this thread.
J Bone likes this.

Last edited by ProjectionHead; 09-25-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: include larger section of quoted message
post #809 of 1730 Old 09-25-2019, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
You sound like a man on the edge lol. I hope you don't own a gun. I think your xiaomi would be very very nervous. Maybe it would quiet down.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
post #810 of 1730 Old 09-25-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Because that's the only biggest negative I have with my Xiaomi.
can't you put your xiaomi in an exclosure that would decrease the noise significantly>?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page