Optoma P1 4k Laser UST @ CES - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 797Likes

post #1141 of 1734 Old 10-08-2019, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Pictured is result after doing no more than: (1) plugging it in; (2) sitting it on a table that is not appropriate to use with it; (3) getting it online; (4) letting it update; and (4) throwing some media against a random wall in my basement that has not been conditioned at all for this type of use. I did light control the room, but aside from that, this is about as rough as it gets for a test, and it still looks promising.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0158.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2625460   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0164.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	2625464  
imhotep6, DunMunro, TTBear and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1734 Old 10-08-2019, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_Bryson View Post
Yes this is preferred, hence people having to put them on the floor or around 3 inches for the best view. Your neck and eyes will thank you.
Sorry. Can you clarify the "1/3 rule". Is that 1/3 from the top or 1/3 from the bottom should be eye level.
post #1143 of 1734 Old 10-08-2019, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by golcarfel View Post
Sorry. Can you clarify the "1/3 rule". Is that 1/3 from the top or 1/3 from the bottom should be eye level.
From the bottom...see pic. I'd aim for the lower range in the main area, if you've got a clear view, since most like to kick back and lounge while watching.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9c7817a8c670441ff61a0506553b03dc.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	2625514  
JX Liu and golcarfel like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1144 of 1734 Old 10-08-2019, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by smajumdar View Post
I like the xy screen. They mislabeld the stickers that shows which side is down. I had invert the screen and now it looks awesome. My only worry is that the projector is at 15” away instead of 10” for a 100” screen. Is it because of the height. It sitting at a height of about 16” and the bottom of the screen is at about 36” from the floor.
Is there anyway you can measure this. From the research I have done it is not supposed to be this much. Both the distance from the wall and were picture is based off those measurements is way off from Optoma has in there manual. Based off my research, it was supposed to be around 12"'s although that appears to be from an outdated spec sheet. 15 inches away from the wall instead of 10 inches is big difference. Even bigger is that the bottom of the image is 20"s from where the projector is sitting for a 100" screen going by the specs in a previous post. Below is from a screenshot from the manual someone posted earlier today. It appears that this will vary between units but I don't even think I can do a 100"s without having to buy a new TV stand/credenza. I'm not putting something this expensive on the floor and it's starting to seem like that is the best place for it.... Based off the screenshots you posted though it does seem close to 20 inches from the stand the PJ is sitting on to the bottom of the screen.

100"
13.7795 to 17.9528 inches from projector is sitting on to bottom of image

120"
16 to 20.9055 inches from surface projector is sitting on to bottom of image

Last edited by diggumsmax; 10-08-2019 at 06:07 PM.
post #1145 of 1734 Old 10-08-2019, 07:46 PM
g4s

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
Is there anyway you can measure this. From the research I have done it is not supposed to be this much. Both the distance from the wall and were picture is based off those measurements is way off from Optoma has in there manual. Based off my research, it was supposed to be around 12"'s although that appears to be from an outdated spec sheet. 15 inches away from the wall instead of 10 inches is big difference. Even bigger is that the bottom of the image is 20"s from where the projector is sitting for a 100" screen going by the specs in a previous post. Below is from a screenshot from the manual someone posted earlier today. It appears that this will vary between units but I don't even think I can do a 100"s without having to buy a new TV stand/credenza. I'm not putting something this expensive on the floor and it's starting to seem like that is the best place for it.... Based off the screenshots you posted though it does seem close to 20 inches from the stand the PJ is sitting on to the bottom of the screen.

100"
13.7795 to 17.9528 inches from projector is sitting on to bottom of image

120"
16 to 20.9055 inches from surface projector is sitting on to bottom of image
I've got mine up and running. The screens not up yet, but on the wall 120" diagonal the image is 19.5" off the floor. Don't like the projector on the floor, but really don't want to raise it.
diggumsmax likes this.
post #1146 of 1734 Old 10-08-2019, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like it's going to be 16 inches or more for 100. Hopefully I get one on the lower end but I'm not expecting to. My current screen is 14.5 and 110 so that's not going to work. I am really glad I held off on getting an ALR screen though as I initially thought this was going to be lower.

I'm already thinking about doing a DIY cabinet. They make some for UST projectors cabinets but they are ridiculously overpriced and cost more than the P1. It looks like you just need some fans for ventilation. I do wonder what type of glass they use to not interfere with the image though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
gazzamongo likes this.

Last edited by diggumsmax; 10-08-2019 at 10:08 PM.
post #1147 of 1734 Old 10-08-2019, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I do wonder what type of glass they use to not interfere with the image though.
Not sure, but I was thinking about going DIY as well (assuming I can't retrofit my current stand) and was thinking that a cutout in the back would probably be the easiest route vs. using glass. Even if you get the 'right' kind of glass, I'd imagine you'd have to keep both sides of the glass fairly dust free.
diggumsmax likes this.
post #1148 of 1734 Old 10-08-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koeikan View Post
lassuming I can't retrofit my current stand) and was thinking that a cutout in the back would probably be the easiest route vs. using glass. Even if you get the 'right' kind of glass, I'd imagine you'd have to keep both sides of the glass fairly dust free.
I may be able to retrofit my current cabinet but I won't know until I get it tomorrow. I had not thought of this. Thanks.

post #1149 of 1734 Old 10-08-2019, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post
The first online test of the Optoma UHZ65UST is now available in French and English here :

https://www.passionhomecinema.fr/blo...is-de-gregory/

Very good reading.
Thanks. Looks like it's not all peaches going from Xiaomi which has done a marvelous job with its first UST. Decided to hold off getting P1.
Brajesh, Nihar P and JX Liu like this.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #1150 of 1734 Old 10-08-2019, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I got the unit last night and started playing around on my regular pull up screen
Here are the pros and cons of this unit that I’m seeing so far… Take it with a grain of salt as all of these are based on my personal “feeling”.

Pro:
  • Brightness: Extremely bright in a pitch-black environment. So if you have a very controlled environment, you may not need ALR screens.
  • Sound: I have not connected my speakers, so I watched a couple of movies using P1’s sound. My god, it sounds great. Of course, this is a useless feature for most of us here as I would assume anyone on this forum has a legit sound system.

Cons:
  • Extremely unforgiving uneven screens: I didn’t realize how uneven surface my pull up screen was, and how forgiving regular ST projectors were until I started playing with P1. Any uneven surface, it will be exponentially visible. Making videos extremely distorting. I know a lot of people mentioned this issue, but I didn’t realize how bad it would be until I got the unit.
  • Height: I have my 100-inch screen 2ft-3ft above the ground, and I had to leave P1 on the ground, so I would either have to keep P1 on the ground or I would have to make the screen much higher if I want to put it on a media center.
  • Fan Noise: It’s hard to hear from the video, but you can hear the fan picking up when you put it on game mode. I’m sure you won’t notice it when you have a sound coming out. But I did notice when there was no sound.
  • Input Lag: I could notice a slight audio lag. This wouldn’t be great for games. Thankfully I don’t play that many games, and for those who play very casual games, it should be fine
  • Lack of 4-way-Adjustment via foot:This was a big one for me. P1, by design only allows you to be able to tilt one way via adjusting one side of the foot. For me, because the pull-up screen was slightly tilted toward me, I needed to go the other way. Due to the nature of UST (I think), slight imperfection whether it’s slight tilt on-screen or small wave on screen, it makes it 100x more visible compared to ST or regular throw projector. Now, if are confident that your screen is perfectly flat with no wave, this may not an issue for you.

(video:
).
imhotep6 and TTBear like this.

Last edited by chinmokutak; 10-09-2019 at 12:36 AM.
post #1151 of 1734 Old 10-08-2019, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I assume it is not controversial to observe it is a no good very bad thing to put a unit like this directly on the floor. That is home base for dust, which to some extent is unavoidable no matter where it goes, but the floor is the equivalent of a welcome mat. I don't think it is a stretch to estimate that about half of the calls that I get requesting that I perform some computer CPR lead to a finding that the tower was kept on the floor, and in turn to the discovery that everything in the case is covered with a thick layer of dust, which means the fans, if they are working at all, are chugging along like they have spent a couple years in a bingo hall chain smoking Pal Mal Ulfiltered. An air cooled projector is no different. Filtered or not, if the unit is sitting directly on the floor slurping dust, then in short order, the aforementioned dust film will set up shop, fan efficacy will suffer, and heat will rise. If it is absolutely essential that you get as close to the floor as possible, perhaps consider something like this little $25 stand. At first glance the measurements seem to check out, but only using it as an example, not recommending it as such. For someone who has the tools / time, it would be easy to put something like that together yourself or to install a low slung shelf. Recognize that may not be an option for everyone, but I do want to strongly caution against sitting it on a bare floor. Captain Obvious, signing off.
Mikkle likes this.
post #1152 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can somebody have the projector test the input lag please. Thats my only concern, i saw on the french review the input lat is more than 100ms where in its discription its 55ms from Optoma. If the input lag is over 100 then i will keep my optoma gt 5600 which have much less input lag for my gaming perspective.
Mikkle likes this.
post #1153 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by asd210111 View Post
Can somebody have the projector test the input lag please. Thats my only concern, i saw on the french review the input lat is more than 100ms where in its discription its 55ms from Optoma. If the input lag is over 100 then i will keep my optoma gt 5600 which have much less input lag for my gaming perspective.

This is strange because I have talked to optoma rep and they say when the motion and app is off then its 55ms but when those features are on it can be 100ms not sure who to believe If someone can test that, that would be awesome
post #1154 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 495
My input lag measure (123 ms) was taken without FI and in all Factory modes (of course also Game Mode).
post #1155 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 02:50 PM
g4s

I've got my 120" screen setup without using any geometry correction. Looks great. I cut my stand down to about 2 1/2" I'll take a picture after I get my wire mess taken care of. Anyone interested in measurements let me know. Although we know these can be different from the next example. This thing is super silent too.
post #1156 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
My input lag measure (123 ms) was taken without FI and in all Factory modes (of course also Game Mode).
There is supposed to be a new firmware update that will reduce lag to ~55ms.
post #1157 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 495
It's possible but here's what Optoma France told me : A new firmware arrives at the end of October but it will correct the following points:

- HLG compatibility via HDMI
- Colorimetry problem on the SDR when Dynamic Black (1/2/3) is enabled

No mention is made of an improvement in the input lag
post #1158 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:

Did you try it not in “Game” mode? Maybe Game mode is intended to be sports mode where FI is forced even if unselected. Probably not I know, just figured it would be worth a try.
post #1159 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post
Quote:
There is supposed to be a new firmware update that will reduce lag to ~55ms.

Is this firm update just speculation or do we have confirmation? I’m hoping its 55ms fingers crossed
post #1160 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 5
measurements for 120'' screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post
I've got my 120" screen setup without using any geometry correction. Looks great. I cut my stand down to about 2 1/2" I'll take a picture after I get my wire mess taken care of. Anyone interested in measurements let me know. Although we know these can be different from the next example. This thing is super silent too.
This will be extremely helpful!
post #1161 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have just finished getting the screen and projector set up. I haven't built a stand yet for the projector, so its still a not centered properly and the image hangs off the screen a bit. Using the XY PET crystal screen with slim bezel, it has 0 waviness to it that I can see and I'm happy about that. The projector is plenty loud, but I have a Klipsch premier setup I will be hooking up shortly.

First out of the box impression:

I turned the projector on, turned on Apple TV and the menu was nice and bright. Everything was crisp and honestly I feel great about it. Then, I turned on Interstellar and the picture was... less than stellar. The brights were bright and the darks were dark, but the middle colors, like faces and things in the shadows, were way too dark; it felt like I was trying watch a movie through dirty water. After some adjustment, brightness -2, contrast +11 or so, Power brightness to 100%, and turned off HDR, the picture has me at about 85% happy. I think my issue is that coming from a Samsung QLED that was on top brightness since I bought it, I'm used to being able to see every little detail in the shaded areas, while the projector has more of a darker feel to everything. This is still after only 10 minutes of adjusting by eye. The images on the apple TV that consume the whole screen when you "highlight" a movie, look stunning, so I know the projector has the capability, I think it just needs tweaking.

Here's some images of set-up and I'll have a Youtube video up whenever I finish centering the image and hooking up the sound system. (Screen assembly, On wall without projector, Projector at Optoma Menu, Screenshot from Blade Runner 2049)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2625932   Click image for larger version

Name:	59234479622__E90EE2B4-0314-45DF-9919-EF85E2DD80C2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2625934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2625936   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_6487327.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	527.2 KB
ID:	2625938  
post #1162 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
So I just got everything setup and here are my impressions so far...

PROS
  • Sharpness is incredibly uniform and perfect throughout the image. This projector is insanely sharp.
  • Brightness is on point. It feels very close to 3k lumens.
  • No banding, good motion handling, overall a nice clean image.
  • Super low noise. Barely audible even at full power.
  • Contrast/black levels are solid for DLP projector.

CONS
  • Color lumens do not seem to pop much. I am still tweaking settings/gama, but the red, greens, and blues do not have the punch I was hoping for.
  • Input lag with everything turned off is terrible. 100ms+ easily. You can feel the lag doing nearly anything. I really hope a FW update fixes this.
  • Only the front two feet are adjustable, which really makes no sense.

I also received the projector with 60 hours on the "bulb" (laser). Not sure what that is about. I purchased new, of course.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Brajesh, Mikkle and Guitarick like this.

My Home Theater
Screen: DNP Supernova BLADE (08-85)
Projector: Espon 5040ub
Receiver: Yamaha RX-671
Speakers: DefTech 8060-ST
post #1163 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
So I just got everything setup and here are my impressions so far...

PROS
  • Sharpness is incredibly uniform and perfect throughout the image. This projector is insanely sharp.
  • Brightness is on point. It feels very close to 3k lumens.
  • No banding, good motion handling, overall a nice clean image.
  • Super low noise. Barely audible even at full power.
  • Contrast/black levels are solid for DLP projector.

CONS
  • Color lumens do not seem to pop much. I am still tweaking settings/gama, but the red, greens, and blues do not have the punch I was hoping for.
  • Input lag with everything turned off is terrible. 100ms+ easily. You can feel the lag doing nearly anything. I really hope a FW update fixes this.
  • Only the front two feet are adjustable, which really makes no sense.

I also received the projector with 60 hours on the "bulb" (laser). Not sure what that is about. I purchased new, of course.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Sounds like a slightly better xiaomi 4k laser UST..Big question is...is this worth $1400+ more?
Get this or the Fengmi 4k or Wemax A300? At least Fengmi 4k (with Full Android TV by nothing label) is reported to have about 32ms input lag...Decisions
post #1164 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 05:55 PM

Has anyone been having weird issues, particularly in menu? I'm hoping this is firmware related but I'm a little bit worried it might not be. I've tried the same HDMI cable for both ports. I can try to use the one that came with the P1 buI really don't think that's the issue this is a brand new HDMI cable. The odd thing is when watching video it hasn't happened once. In one it's the Optoma menu but the other is Plex from Xbox one X.

Wait till the end, half the screen just goes nuts

Also, how does a brand new projector ship with 58 hours already on the bulb! Just found this in the menu. I know it's supposed to last 20,000 hours plus but still it's the principle of the thing. I feel like someone messed with this thing before it got to me.

Last edited by diggumsmax; 10-09-2019 at 06:07 PM.
post #1165 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdub69 View Post
Is this firm update just speculation or do we have confirmation? I’m hoping its 55ms fingers crossed
I saw a post on another board that stated a firmware update was coming and the spec sheets states 55ms:

https://www.projectorcentral.com/pdf...spec_10926.pdf

But it's speculation for now.
post #1166 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 06:15 PM
g4s

Quote:
Has anyone been having weird issues, particularly in menu? I'm hoping this is firmware related but I'm a little bit worried it might not be. I've tried the same HDMI cable for both ports. I can try to use the one that came with the P1 buI really don't think that's the issue this is a brand new HDMI cable. The odd thing is when watching video it hasn't happened once. In one it's the Optoma menu but the other is Plex from Xbox one X.

https://youtu.be/D-CmFIjtavs

Wait till the end, half the screen just goes nuts

https://youtu.be/p8IKkZU0L0c

Also, how does a brand new projector ship with 58 hours already on the bulb! Just found this in the menu. I know it's supposed to last 20,000 hours plus but still it's the principle of the thing. I feel like someone messed with this thing before it got to me.

Mine shows over 50 hours too. Maybe they run them a while before shipping?
post #1167 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 06:22 PM

Good to know, at least this seems normal in regards to the bulb life. Still a little worried about the screen freaking out on me in the menus. Really don't want to have to ship this thing back and wait until November, at the earliest, to get a replacement. It happened on the Optoma menu page pretty so that pretty much rules out it being an HDMI cable issue.

post #1168 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post
Mine shows over 50 hours too. Maybe they run them a while before shipping?
Sorry guys, that's from the final burn-in test we conduct. Our first batch did not have the counters reset to zero. They do not count against the 20,000 (bright) / 30,000 (Eco) light source life. We will flag those units for future reference.
post #1169 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
Sorry guys, that's from the final burn-in test we conduct. Our first batch did not have the counters reset to zero. They do not count against the 20,000 (bright) / 30,000 (Eco) light source life. We will flag those units for future reference.

Thanks for commenting and not leaving our minds to wander. But what about the flicker he spoke about. Potential color wheel or laser defect issues?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1170 of 1734 Old 10-09-2019, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Quote:
Can you try a different cable? What color space is it outputting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page