Optoma P1 4k Laser UST @ CES - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 585Likes

post #91 of 1369 Old 02-10-2019, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambur123 View Post
According to passionhomecinema.fr these are the specs for the european version:
- 4K UHD HDR with chip DLP 0.67 XPR X2
- 2,500 to 3,500 lumens
- Projection ratio 0.25: 1
- Optoma NuForce integrated audio bar
- Market Place (application stores)
- InfoWall application: which allows you to create your digital wall with information chosen by you

So either these guys are wrong or it’s a very different projector for eu market, at obviously a much higher price.

L.E.: This is the link, scroll to the optoma section.

Mystery solved. The page has been edited since my last post and the chip specs were removed. In the comments section the author admits that the info was his guess based on the existing uhz65.

However, according to Optoma representative this unit is 4999euros, not 3000usd as advertised at CES

Last edited by tambur123; 02-10-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1369 Old 02-18-2019, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Finally upgraded from my Optoma 5600 to an LG Oled, waiting on P1 to move back to UST land but curious if they will ever just give us a barebone model without all the extra functionality?
post #93 of 1369 Old 02-24-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
@Tuan , can you please verify if the EU version is using the .67 x2 DMD? If it does, will it support BluRay 3D like the US version.
Thank you.
Why would they release two different versions of the same projector with two different DMD chips? 2,000,000% guaranteed that the EU version will also use the .47 DMD, because that makes the most business sense and if my memory serves correct, the US has a higher saturation percentage of front projection usage vs the EU, so the supposed better chip, albeit older, wouldn't make any financial sense in a lesser market.

Edit:
Quote:
In the comments section the author admits that the info was his guess based on the existing uhz65.
Again, mystery solved! LOL Figured they wouldn't release two totally different PJs for different markets. :-)

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
Gaming: Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor

Last edited by Troy LaMont; 02-24-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 1369 Old 02-24-2019, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 4
You are probably correct, but why double the price for EU version? Optoma confirmed on twitter the price for EU. Historically speaking Optoma has kept almost the same price in both regions.
post #95 of 1369 Old 02-24-2019, 09:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambur123 View Post
You are probably correct, but why double the price for EU version? Optoma confirmed on twitter the price for EU. Historically speaking Optoma has kept almost the same price in both regions.
Wow and ouch! $5700?! Yeah, I don't know about that pricing. Seems way off, I wonder if somebody jumped the gun and accidentally listed the price for the actual UHZ65 (front projection), because that's how much it retailed for when it originally dropped in the EU if I'm not mistaken?!

Let's hope so, I would doubt they'd do any good sales with almost double the price from the US, because any smart person would just have it imported and save a bunch! 🤔

Theater: Onkyo TX-NR807, Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12, Optoma HD80 on 100" Elite Aeon screen
Bedroom: Yamaha WXA50, Samsung Q6FN (2018), Martin Logan Motion LX16, Pro SW100P 10" sub
post #96 of 1369 Old 02-25-2019, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Height of UST projectors

This will be my first foray into projectors, more specifically UST projectors. I am looking at this P1 or the LG that is coming out in mid 2019. I currently have a large Aperion Audio Verus II center channel in an audio cabinet that I want to down size (cabinet not speaker). I am thinking of having a table made that would seat the center channel on the lower shelf maybe a foot or so off the floor and on the the top shelf the UST projector, probably sitting on a Sorbathane mat. My question is this: What is the general height of the UST projector recommended at? The screen size will be 120 inches and based on the data I'm looking at, probably 7 inches from the wall. But what I can't find is how far below the screen must the projector sit? This obviously will help me design the table I will be sitting it on.
I did some searching on here and didn't find a UST board that has general questions so please excuse me if there is one.
Thanks!

'That sure is a nice record player you got there...'
post #97 of 1369 Old 02-25-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dssquared View Post
This will be my first foray into projectors, more specifically UST projectors. I am looking at this P1 or the LG that is coming out in mid 2019. I currently have a large Aperion Audio Verus II center channel in an audio cabinet that I want to down size (cabinet not speaker). I am thinking of having a table made that would seat the center channel on the lower shelf maybe a foot or so off the floor and on the the top shelf the UST projector, probably sitting on a Sorbathane mat. My question is this: What is the general height of the UST projector recommended at? The screen size will be 120 inches and based on the data I'm looking at, probably 7 inches from the wall. But what I can't find is how far below the screen must the projector sit? This obviously will help me design the table I will be sitting it on.
I did some searching on here and didn't find a UST board that has general questions so please excuse me if there is one.
Thanks!
Unfortunately all of the details aren't available for this unit since it's still early, you'd have to wait until the details are released to get a specific answer. You can possibly wing it, basing the distance on currently similar models like the Xioami or Dell (along with a host of others), this will at least get you in the ballpark until the details for this projector are released. For reference, the Dell UST 4K projector needs to be between 7"-10" below the screen.

Hope that helps.

post #98 of 1369 Old 02-25-2019, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The projected image is usually 40-50cm above the surface the projector is placed on.
post #99 of 1369 Old 03-27-2019, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post
Art from Projector Reviews

Turned the lights out and this thing came to life! 👍😎

***The background noise on this video is horrific so it's best to turn on "Closed Captioning" and turn the sound off. Nice video, though.

Regarding the integrated soundbar - - to me, an added feature that's really not a benefit for those who have a dedicated sound system. But if you are going to integrate a soundbar - - crisp dialog is the number one benefit I would look for. And - an option for those who have a dedicated sound system but want the option to still watch their projector at night, for example, and not wake up everyone in the house.

If the soundbar is just loud with muddled dialog - - then it's an absolute waste and needlessly increases the cost of the UST Projector and potential market. But again, what do I know. I'm only a consumer looking at what makes sense. We'll find out.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 03-27-2019 at 05:33 AM.
post #100 of 1369 Old 03-27-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***The background noise on this video is horrific so it's best to turn on "Closed Captioning" and turn the sound off. Nice video, though.

Regarding the integrated soundbar - - to me, an added feature that's really not a benefit for those who have a dedicated sound system. But if you are going to integrate a soundbar - - crisp dialog is the number one benefit I would look for. And - an option for those who have a dedicated sound system but want the option to still watch their projector at night, for example, and not wake up everyone in the house.

If the soundbar is just loud with muddled dialog - - then it's an absolute waste and needlessly increases the cost of the UST Projector and potential market. But again, what do I know. I'm only a consumer looking at what makes sense. We'll find out.

I remember last year someone pointed out that the Optoma rep was wearing a Sony lanyard much to our amusement. Fast forward a year later and the same guy is still rocking the same Sony Lanyard lol. Not a good look for a brand when they’re wearing a direct competitors swag.
post #101 of 1369 Old 03-28-2019, 09:39 AM

Hopefully reviews start arriving soon for this unit and the LG, it'll be fun to see how they stack up.
post #102 of 1369 Old 03-28-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_103 View Post
Hopefully reviews start arriving soon for this unit and the LG, it'll be fun to see how they stack up.

Don't hold your breath, we're still months away from launch and most of the reviews will come out right at or just afterwards. I'm thinking June/July at the earliest.

post #103 of 1369 Old 03-28-2019, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't hold your breath, we're still months away from launch and most of the reviews will come out right at or just afterwards. I'm thinking June/July at the earliest.

That would be great. I’m thinking CES 2020. I’m pretty sure every projector LG has ever lunched was immediately after CES. I hope I’m wrong though.
post #104 of 1369 Old 03-28-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I work in an advertising agency and it always amazes me how these companies don't take advantage of the hype and lunch product's close to their announcement date.
Troy LaMont likes this.
post #105 of 1369 Old 03-28-2019, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I work in an advertising agency and it always amazes me how these companies don't take advantage of the hype and lunch product's close to their announcement date.

I agree. Also, a lot of companies get burned because people’s expectations balloon the longer they hold out on their purchase. Then if it’s only as good or slightly better than the comparable products they’ve passed up on, it creates resentment.

On the other hand this is kind of a really new market segment. I think they want to gauge demand before they begin a lengthy and expensive development.
oni222 likes this.
post #106 of 1369 Old 03-29-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From the manufacturers side, I can see the logic. The most important thing is that most people don't know about 'product x' until it's announced/displayed at the trade shows, CES is one of the biggest. So if the product was available, sales would be very low initially and if the product was a hit, they would ramp up. The manufacturer would hope this ramping up would happen quickly but most of the time it would be slower than they anticipate making for a pretty dull launch and product sales would be hurt.

So by making the release date of the announced product later, they build anticipation, buzz and hopefully potential buyers for 'product x'. They can easily gauge the chatter on the interwebs with the big name data marts (Google etc) to get an idea if the product will sell big. Not only that but releasing later gives them an opportunity to judge the competition and work out any bugs or hardware issues with 'product x' before it's actually released.

At least that's how it works for the AV side of life, different products have different cycles.

post #107 of 1369 Old 03-29-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
From the manufacturers side, I can see the logic. The most important thing is that most people don't know about 'product x' until it's announced/displayed at the trade shows, CES is one of the biggest. So if the product was available, sales would be very low initially and if the product was a hit, they would ramp up. The manufacturer would hope this ramping up would happen quickly but most of the time it would be slower than they anticipate making for a pretty dull launch and product sales would be hurt.

So by making the release date of the announced product later, they build anticipation, buzz and hopefully potential buyers for 'product x'. They can easily gauge the chatter on the interwebs with the big name data marts (Google etc) to get an idea if the product will sell big. Not only that but releasing later gives them an opportunity to judge the competition and work out any bugs or hardware issues with 'product x' before it's actually released.

At least that's how it works for the AV side of life, different products have different cycles.

Oh I agree, showing new tech with a release date far in the future works but when it comes to new products I think three months is the max. Building hype is simple, release test units for review and push advertising close to the release date, but waiting 7 months in my opinion just doesn't work.
post #108 of 1369 Old 04-30-2019, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 28
ZZZZZZzzzz ...waiting.... =)
post #109 of 1369 Old 04-30-2019, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by niveknow View Post
ZZZZZZzzzz ...waiting.... =)

Boooring, purchased the Mijia 4K instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #110 of 1369 Old 05-01-2019, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi, does these UST laser projectors from Optoma really have the lumens they claim or it's light source lumens like the Xiaomi models and you have to divide it by 3 to get the real screen lumens?
I've a xiaomi 5.000 lumens, but they are actually 1.500, and I want to replace it for an Optoma ust laser, 3D is very important for my choice, so I was thinking in P1 or maybe the HZ45UST (I think its the european name) that claims 4.200 lumens, are these the real lumens or it`s more like 1400 real lumens?
Any recomendation for a good/best Full 3d UST Laser projector?
post #111 of 1369 Old 05-01-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Optoma P1 4k Laser UST @ CES

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkconcept View Post
Hi, does these UST laser projectors from Optoma really have the lumens they claim or it's light source lumens like the Xiaomi models and you have to divide it by 3 to get the real screen lumens?

I've a xiaomi 5.000 lumens, but they are actually 1.500, and I want to replace it for an Optoma ust laser, 3D is very important for my choice, so I was thinking in P1 or maybe the HZ45UST (I think its the european name) that claims 4.200 lumens, are these the real lumens or it`s more like 1400 real lumens?

Any recomendation for a good/best Full 3d UST Laser projector?

Since it’s only one red laser that needs to be converted to green and blue, it probably won’t be as bright as your Xiaomi which I believe has red and blue lasers. The Vava 4k might be worth considering it’s likely based on the new Xiaomi 4k versions hardware. It’s available for preorder now from indiegogo’s guaranteed purchase program. It’s also less than the Optoma. I can’t speak on it’s quality I haven’t seen or read any good reviews on it yet.
post #112 of 1369 Old 05-01-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Since it’s only one red laser that needs to be converted to green and blue, it probably won’t be as bright as your Xiaomi which I believe has red and blue lasers. The Vava 4k might be worth considering it’s likely based on the new Xiaomi 4k versions hardware. It’s available for preorder now from indiegogo’s guaranteed purchase program. It’s also less than the Optoma. I can’t speak on it’s quality I haven’t seen or read any good reviews on it yet.
I think the Xiaomi only has blue laser. It's very bright but not enough for good 3D on a 120 XY screen.
So for all these ust laser projectors we have to divide the announced lumens by the number of lasers? I thought it was only a Xiaomi marketing.
There isn't any with at least 3.000 real lumens or so? Thanks bix26

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk
post #113 of 1369 Old 05-01-2019, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Optoma P1 4k Laser UST @ CES

Quote:
I think the Xiaomi only has blue laser. It's very bright but not enough for good 3D on a 120 XY screen.
So for all these ust laser projectors we have to divide the announced lumens by the number of lasers? I thought it was only a Xiaomi marketing.
There isn't any with at least 3.000 real lumens or so? Thanks bix26

Most of these projectors are using the Apptronics ALPD 3.0 light engine, I know Xiaomi and Vava do. So pretty much all of them should have similar brightness. There isn’t any real rhyme or reason to manufactures brightness claims, they can pretty much say whatever they want since there isn’t any real standard of how to measure brightness.

The Xiaomi is about as bright as it gets. It should be bright enough for 3D. Your screen might be reducing brightness because it’s an ALR type. Glasses can have a big effect on brightness as well. You might try a different pair from a different maker.

So far the Dell S718QL and Xiaomi Wemax One (black case version) are the brightest. I think the Dell has come down in price quite a bit. It has about 2,500 lumens measured by projectorcentral. I think HDTVTest measured the Wemax One at around 2,000 lumens.
post #114 of 1369 Old 05-01-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Most of these projectors are using the Apptronics ALPD 3.0 light engine, I know Xiaomi and Vava do. So pretty much all of them should have similar brightness. There isn’t any real rhyme or reason to manufactures brightness claims, they can pretty much say whatever they want since there isn’t any real standard of how to measure brightness.

The Xiaomi is about as bright as it gets. It should be bright enough for 3D. Your screen might be reducing brightness because it’s an ALR type. Glasses can have a big effect on brightness as well. You might try a different pair from a different maker.

So far the Dell S718QL and Xiaomi Wemax One (black case version) are the brightest. I think the Dell has come down in price quite a bit. It has about 2,500 lumens measured by projectorcentral. I think HDTVTest measured the Wemax One at around 2,000 lumens.
Ok I see, I think that the Dell has two laser sources so it's much brighter, tough I think it has 0,66 chip that doesn't allows 3D. And someone told me that the new Xiaomi 4k is actually brighter than the Wemax, in same conditions, hard decision as always. I'll take a look to the Vava or maybe a different projector screen. Thanks for the info, it has been very useful

post #115 of 1369 Old 05-01-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok I see, I think that the Dell has two laser sources so it's much brighter, tough I think it has 0,66 chip that doesn't allows 3D. And someone told me that the new Xiaomi 4k is actually brighter than the Wemax, in same conditions, hard decision as always. I'll take a look to the Vava or maybe a different projector screen. Thanks for the info, it has been very useful

That’s right, I forgot the Dell lacks 3D.
post #116 of 1369 Old 05-01-2019, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 5
13 pages later in the Xiaomi 4k 2019 thread, we cant even get a confirmation if it supports 3D... do you happen to know if it does? Mine wont be here for 3 weeks and it would kill me if it didnt even support 3D. Does it just need to proper chip to support it, or does it also have to allowed by the PJ software?
post #117 of 1369 Old 05-01-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDJ View Post
13 pages later in the Xiaomi 4k 2019 thread, we cant even get a confirmation if it supports 3D... do you happen to know if it does? Mine wont be here for 3 weeks and it would kill me if it didnt even support 3D. Does it just need to proper chip to support it, or does it also have to allowed by the PJ software?
Not confirmed yet, but it's listed as 3D on Gear Best and AliExpress:

Product Detail
Lamp: ALPD 
Bluetooth: Support 
Picture Formats: PG, JPEG, BMP, GIF, PNG, TIF 
Video Formats: MPEG - 1 / 2 / 4, H.263, H.264, H.265, AVI, RM, RMVB, VC - 1 
Audio Formats: MP1, MP2, MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC, AAC, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, M4A 
Power Supply: 200-240V / 50 - 60Hz 
Built-in Speaker: Yes 
Compatible with: Computer,Laptop 
DVB-T Supported: Yes 
External Subtitle Supported: Yes 
3D: Yes 
Application: Entertainment,Home

Model Xiaomi mijia 4K laser projectorResoluti on4K (3840x2160dpi)SystemAndroidRAM+ ROM2GB DDR 3+16GB eMMCCPUT968-HFunctionWifi / BluetoothBrightness5000  LumensContrast3001:1-4000:1Throw Ratio0.233:1Video Effect 2D / 3D

I think only international versions don't support 3D

post #118 of 1369 Old 05-08-2019, 01:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDJ View Post
3D support was confirmed a long time ago from the Optoma rep...

post #119 of 1369 Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Apparently the Optoma P1 has now become the "highly-anticipated" "Cinemax P1": https://www.prweb.com/releases/optom...eb16370749.htm

Excerpt: A highly-anticipated home cinema projector, the smart 4K UHD laser and ultra short throw Optoma CinemaX P1 will also be on display in a home cinema vignette, showcasing incredible 4K UHD projection alongside impressive smart functions and voice control. The CinemaX P1 features an integrated NuForce soundbar for powerful audio performance and HDR technology for breathtaking color, deep blacks and bright whites. The CinemaX P1 also features smart home skill support for today’s popular digital assistants, including Amazon Alexa and Google Home, and IFTTT support for seamless smart home automation with smart IoT devices. This all-in-one home cinema projector also offers an easy auto geometry correction system driven by the SmartFIT app and Firmware Over-the-Air (FOTA) technology for hassle-free software updates, as well as support for Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus pass through over optical and HDMI arc.

Curious, haven't been able to yet find one image of it revealing its access panel for HDMI hookup et cetera.
Brajesh likes this.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #120 of 1369 Old 06-12-2019, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I asked Tuan on another thread. He did confirm Blu-ray 3D compatability.
Excellent. Hopefully Optoma returns to providing a standard VESA 3-D output for RF glasses instead of being locked into only the DLP-Link glasses mode.

All of their 3-D 1080p models have and continue to offer this, but to date oddly none of their 4K 3-D models do.

Epson and other non-DLP 4K 3-D projector providers offer the superior VESA option as they have no choice, but it would be nice if Optoma allows us to have the best of both worlds with 4K DLP 3-D and the choice of optional RF 3-D.
Nick Laslett and Frank714 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page