Optoma P1 4k Laser UST @ CES - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 650Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1171 of 1506 Old 10-09-2019, 05:39 PM
Member
 
Kev1000000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
Sorry guys, that's from the final burn-in test we conduct. Our first batch did not have the counters reset to zero. They do not count against the 20,000 (bright) / 30,000 (Eco) light source life. We will flag those units for future reference.
Can you please confirm if there is a firmware update coming to address the abysmal input lag with everything turned off? It's 120ms+.

My Home Theater
Screen: DNP Supernova BLADE (08-85)
Projector: Espon 5040ub
Receiver: Yamaha RX-671
Speakers: DefTech 8060-ST
Kev1000000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1172 of 1506 Old 10-09-2019, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tuan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
Can you please confirm if there is a firmware update coming to address the abysmal input lag with everything turned off? It's 120ms+.
We're looking into it.
Tuan is offline  
post #1173 of 1506 Old 10-09-2019, 05:44 PM
Senior Member
 
diggumsmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
Can you try a different cable? What color space is it outputting?
It happened on the menus again after removing everything but power and a network cable when half the screen started wigging out. It did happe on my Xbox in the menus on Plex. The odd thing is I haven't had one issue when actually playing anything. So far, just in menus. I'm wondering if the roughly sixty hours on the bulb is for tests done before the projector is shipped from Optoma.

If it happens one more time I'm going to switch cables but the fact that it does it with no cables plugged in these major league it's not the cable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
diggumsmax is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1174 of 1506 Old 10-09-2019, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tuan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
It happened on the menus again after removing everything but power and a network cable when half the screen started wigging out. It did happe on my Xbox in the menus on Plex. The odd thing is I haven't had one issue when actually playing anything. So far, just in menus. I'm wondering if the roughly sixty hours on the bulb is for tests done before the projector is shipped from Optoma.

If it happens one more time I'm going to switch cables but the fact that it does it with no cables plugged in these major league it's not the cable.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Have you gotten the latest OTA software update yet? Should be C11.
Tuan is offline  
post #1175 of 1506 Old 10-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Senior Member
 
diggumsmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Yup, first thing I did. It's at C11 , MCU C06.9 and DDP C13.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
diggumsmax is offline  
post #1176 of 1506 Old 10-09-2019, 05:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
Sorry guys, that's from the final burn-in test we conduct. Our first batch did not have the counters reset to zero. They do not count against the 20,000 (bright) / 30,000 (Eco) light source life. We will flag those units for future reference.
Can you please confirm if there is a firmware update coming to address the abysmal input lag with everything turned off? It's 120ms+.

Please confirm this as this was a big reason why I bought this projector over the other ones was that it said 55ms not 120+
Kdub69 is offline  
post #1177 of 1506 Old 10-09-2019, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tuan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 517
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Send a message via Skype™ to Tuan
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
Yup, first thing I did. It's at C11 , MCU C06.9 and DDP C13.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I'll have my PM look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdub69 View Post
Please confirm this as this was a big reason why I bought this projector over the other ones was that it said 55ms not 120+
Yes, we tested 55ms and looking into why people are getting higher latency. Currently, you have to disable the MEMC and SmartFit manually before enabling game mode to get 55ms.
Tuan is offline  
post #1178 of 1506 Old 10-09-2019, 06:14 PM
Member
 
saneace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The TV that I use in our main floor entertainment area is an aging but still quality Samsung 3D, and have found that for some flicks I actually do appreciate the 3D, so I have a media server library with a couple of my favorites in that regard reduced to h-sbs.mkv or h-sbs.mp4. Always liked that I can open those, e.g., inside native plex app or so forth, and the Samsung will recognize that it is being fed 3D content and adjust accordingly. I had planned to throw some of that material in my media vault at this projector, but after reading a bit, PJ insists on having a 3D player feed the content, which I suppose not the end of the world (have one in the TV media cabinet that the TV does not need), and it is not as if I spend much time watching 3D anyway. Still, it is kind of a bummer that the P1 is so limited in regard to 3D content source when the older Samsung is much less discerning. Perhaps that is not the end of the story as to what the projector is capable of, but figuring that out definitively would require more effort than I am prepared to invest ATM.
saneace is offline  
post #1179 of 1506 Old 10-09-2019, 06:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
Yup, first thing I did. It's at C11 , MCU C06.9 and DDP C13.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I'll have my PM look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdub69 View Post
Please confirm this as this was a big reason why I bought this projector over the other ones was that it said 55ms not 120+
Yes, we tested 55ms and looking into why people are getting higher latency. Currently, you have to disable the MEMC and SmartFit manually before enabling game mode to get 55ms.

I will test this when my p1 arrives next Wednesday whats memc stand for?
Kdub69 is offline  
post #1180 of 1506 Old 10-09-2019, 07:10 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
I'll have my PM look into it.



Yes, we tested 55ms and looking into why people are getting higher latency. Currently, you have to disable the MEMC and SmartFit manually before enabling game mode to get 55ms.

I have the P1 and am also getting pretty bad input lag. I went through the menus but did not see anything called MEMC can you please elaborate on that? Also I thought SmartFit was an app you used not a setting, how can you disable it?
Jungle_Octopus is offline  
post #1181 of 1506 Old 10-09-2019, 08:23 PM
Member
 
Knolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
Thanks for the feedback. It looks like it's going to be 16 inches or more for 100. Hopefully I get one on the lower end but I'm not expecting to. My current screen is 14.5 and 110 so that's not going to work. I am really glad I held off on getting an ALR screen though as I initially thought this was going to be lower.

I'm already thinking about doing a DIY cabinet. They make some for UST projectors cabinets but they are ridiculously overpriced and cost more than the P1. It looks like you just need some fans for ventilation. I do wonder what type of glass they use to not interfere with the image though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Keep us posted if we go this route! I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my A300 setup. It looks super tidy but the result is a fairly high image, I'm thinking of sinking it into the cabinet to lower it and tidy up the top:
Knolly is offline  
post #1182 of 1506 Old 10-09-2019, 08:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Diggumsmax, I am also having the flickering issue on a much lower scale, and I see the right side of my screen do the odd color banding flicker rarely, but it does happen. I have tried two different hdmi cables, in two different slots.

In addition, I seem to be having another issue consistently. The bottom few inches of my projected image, is cut off on the left side. I'm attaching a few close up shots for reference. I thought maybe it was the Apple TV, but this is taken from the Optoma Menu. I'll try to reach out to Optoma tomorrow if I have time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	902.2 KB
ID:	2626062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	852.2 KB
ID:	2626064  
Tyler Duncan is offline  
post #1183 of 1506 Old 10-09-2019, 08:43 PM
Member
 
Koeikan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
FYI for other Amazon orders, 9/16 pre-order just got shipping notification for Monday delivery.
imhotep6 likes this.
Koeikan is offline  
post #1184 of 1506 Old 10-09-2019, 08:59 PM
Senior Member
 
diggumsmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Duncan View Post
Diggumsmax, I am also having the flickering issue on a much lower scale, and I see the right side of my screen do the odd color banding flicker rarely, but it does happen. I have tried two different hdmi cables, in two different slots.



In addition, I seem to be having another issue consistently. The bottom few inches of my projected image, is cut off on the left side. I'm attaching a few close up shots for reference. I thought maybe it was the Apple TV, but this is taken from the Optoma Menu. I'll try to reach out to Optoma tomorrow if I have time.
You may have already tried but make sure it's straight or you will get that. Also make sure the feet are all the way down. , if one is higher than the other than that could cause thay. If you've checked all that it could be defective. I haven't met having any uniformity issues. I powered down my projector and switched out cables and I haven't had the issue since but I only did that about half an hour ago since too early to tell. I hope

I'm hoping that these do t end up having a high failure rate. I understand that's the first batch so it will probably get better over time but it also appears that the bottom of the image is never on the low end. It's always on the high end. Does anyone have one that is on the low end for 100 or 120-in screen? I'm basing this off what black plastic ruler that shipped with the P1. there is always a 3-in offset over based off the lowest they say the image would be.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
diggumsmax is offline  
post #1185 of 1506 Old 10-09-2019, 11:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
A hard shutdown and unplugging for 30 seconds seems to have fixed the missing bottom left issue. I haven't noticed the color band right side flicker since as well.

After playing with the settings a bit, I find that the best way for me to get the most brightness out of the projector, is to go to the "power brightness" setting, and cycle from the dynamic black settings, back to the 100% then back to dynamic black 1 and somehow it bugs it out and gives me a nice and bright image. Otherwise, if I get the normal dynamic black on any level, its terribly dark and borderline unwatchable. Curious if this mode I'm tricking it into is a bug, or if the settings menu is just buggy and I should be able to access this mode each on purpose.
ProjectionHead likes this.

Last edited by Tyler Duncan; 10-09-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Tyler Duncan is offline  
post #1186 of 1506 Old 10-10-2019, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kraine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: earth -alpha quadrant - france
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Octopus View Post
I have the P1 and am also getting pretty bad input lag. I went through the menus but did not see anything called MEMC can you please elaborate on that? Also I thought SmartFit was an app you used not a setting, how can you disable it?

MEMC is the Frame Interpolation or Pure motion from Optoma
kraine is offline  
post #1187 of 1506 Old 10-10-2019, 12:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kraine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: earth -alpha quadrant - france
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
Yes, we tested 55ms and looking into why people are getting higher latency. Currently, you have to disable the MEMC and SmartFit manually before enabling game mode to get 55ms.

Hi Tuan, this trick is not working with my sample UHZ65UST, I have checked all the factory Modes and all options were disabled and still getting 123 ms lag in 4K
kraine is offline  
post #1188 of 1506 Old 10-10-2019, 12:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
klas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,149
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by stfidel View Post
Sounds like a slightly better xiaomi 4k laser UST..Big question is...is this worth $1400+ more?
Get this or the Fengmi 4k or Wemax A300? At least Fengmi 4k (with Full Android TV by nothing label) is reported to have about 32ms input lag...Decisions
I am in a similar boat actually cancelled preorder a few days ago. Certainly P1 has an advantage over Xiaomi or any other lower priced options with brighter and nicer image and much better support/warranty but looks like I will be giving up some other things that makes this upgrade a bit tough considering its price. Perhaps when the price will drop and some kinks get worked out on it with firmware updates i might reconsider.
drdoom2k and Nihar P like this.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
klas is offline  
post #1189 of 1506 Old 10-10-2019, 06:46 AM
Senior Member
 
diggumsmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Just another update. Still having weird issues. HDR just quit working last night but that might be my fault. I changed the color settings in the Xbox menu from 10 bit to 12 bit. after that HDR did not work. I switched it back to 10 bit but HDR still wouldn't work. after a couple of reboots, a different cable, and a different port HDR finally started working but I'm getting odd dropouts. I'm thinking it's either the actual HDMI port itself, or it's a software issue.

I haven't got a chance to play any games yet but is there any good tool out there to test latency? Just a personal preference but I'm not a fan of pure motion due to the soap opera effect so I'll always have that set to zero.

Edit: I noticed that when I wasn't getting HDR the input option in the menu showed it has no signal even though video is playing. If anyone else has this issue with HDR check there. This shows the input resultion and color (HDR vs SDR).

I might try to get in touch with Optoma today if I have time. I'm really hoping these are just software issues and not hardware related.

Putting the issues those issues aside it's a great projector. You're definitely going to need an ALR screen though unless you have a bat cave. The biggest issue as I have white ceilings and the light bouncing off the ceiling is very brightand causes a bit of wash out at the top of the image even in a dark environment.

This is the first projector I've actually seen where I've noticed HDR. I've got a roughly 2-year-old Vizio but I've only slightly noticed the improvements with HDR on that TV set. It was really noticeable on the P1. I haven't tried outgoing yet so I'm a bit worried about the lag time but we will see. This thing definitely wasn't ready from a software standpoint. The app store is a complete joke and a waste of time. The sound bar actually sounds amazing but as most of already stated I've got i-5.1 setup so this is sort of a mute point. This truly could be a TV replacement for a non-audio buff. I personally thought it sounded as good as the Sonos sound bar but it'll need a subwoofer if you want any bass.

The bottom of the image is higher than I would like. I understand due to the manufacturing that every projectors not going to be the same but using the ruler they sent I'm using the bottom mark of 120 for a roughly 100 inch screen and it's 13 inches from the wall.

I think with some firmware updates this thing might end up being a great projector. I could be wrong and I could be having hardware issues but I will have to figure that out. Don't let my bad experience deter you from buying this projector as it seems like most people are not having this issue.

I tried to set it up with Alexa but optima makes it a huge hassle. You have to create a cloud account with optima. Before that you have to register your device which should be done anyways for the warranty, but after that it keeps telling me my device isn't registered so I can't use the Alexa skill. I still need to try and set this up on my Logitech remote so I can see IR actually works. Probably going to try and set it up in Hass.io later after I get off work.

There is quite a bit of screen flickering and weirdness when you mess around in the settings and change anything. This is somewhat understandable but it seems like it almost stops displaying the image to adjust to the new settings then comes back on. With HDMI I get a lot of screen going in and out when changing settings but a quickly goes away. The lower two screenshots, one is showing how much light gets reflected in the ceiling, this was to be expected but it's much better in person than it is in the picture. I'm using a Stewart Firehawk screen and previous posters and told me this would not be a good screen for UST.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
drdoom2k likes this.

Last edited by diggumsmax; 10-10-2019 at 07:37 AM.
diggumsmax is offline  
post #1190 of 1506 Old 10-10-2019, 07:53 AM
Member
 
Kev1000000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Here are some unedited photos from my 120" Optoma P1 setup so far.

If the input lag can be fixed via a FW update, this will be the UST to beat IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191009_224304.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	894.8 KB
ID:	2626196   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191009_223503.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1,009.7 KB
ID:	2626198   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191009_223250.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2626200  
Cremer Lee likes this.

My Home Theater
Screen: DNP Supernova BLADE (08-85)
Projector: Espon 5040ub
Receiver: Yamaha RX-671
Speakers: DefTech 8060-ST
Kev1000000 is offline  
post #1191 of 1506 Old 10-10-2019, 07:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Wasn't expecting all these issues from a "premium" UST...hmmm might have to wait until Black Friday time and see what happens..
drdoom2k and MiguePizar like this.
Gae80uk is offline  
post #1192 of 1506 Old 10-10-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TimHuey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Has anyone taken their P1 out to 130" and looked to see at normal viewing distance how the menus look and setting screens? I wonder how much sharpness is lost when the distance isnt' quite exact and is it noticeable on video from normal viewing distances.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
TimHuey is offline  
post #1193 of 1506 Old 10-10-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TimHuey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 1,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Has anyone posted what percentage of P3 color it's achieving when calibrated? HDR makes more of an impact then going from REC 709 to P3 but I'm just curious how much of P3 it's getting. Everyone seems to be very impressed by the HDR performance so far on this, when it's working correctly.

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.
TimHuey is offline  
post #1194 of 1506 Old 10-10-2019, 09:57 AM
Senior Member
 
diggumsmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
Here are some unedited photos from my 120" Optoma P1 setup so far.



If the input lag can be fixed via a FW update, this will be the UST to beat IMO.
If you don't mind me asking, what screen is that. The colors and contrast are a huge improvement over what I'm getting with my Stewart Firehawk.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
diggumsmax is offline  
post #1195 of 1506 Old 10-10-2019, 09:58 AM
Member
 
Kev1000000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what screen is that. The colors and contrast are a huge improvement over what I'm getting with my Stewart Firehawk.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Viewsonic BCP 120. I've also messed with the settings a bunch. When I get home, I can post my config.
diggumsmax, imhotep6 and Nihar P like this.

My Home Theater
Screen: DNP Supernova BLADE (08-85)
Projector: Espon 5040ub
Receiver: Yamaha RX-671
Speakers: DefTech 8060-ST
Kev1000000 is offline  
post #1196 of 1506 Old 10-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
diggumsmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae80uk View Post
Wasn't expecting all these issues from a "premium" UST...hmmm might have to wait until Black Friday time and see what happens..
While me and one other posters seem to be having some random issues I'm not really seeing anyone else posting about having theses same issues. Unhappy people tend to complain a lot more than people who have had no issues, including myself.

It's also the first batch so if this continues, I'll get a replacement from Optoma. I have a feeling that both the manufacturing and software will get much better for newer batches. When you have a day one firmware update on a brand new device you know the software is going to have some issues. It truly is a great projector. I can't say how much of a difference there is with some of the other cheaper Chinese models as I've never seen them in person. Wouldn't mind seeing a comparison.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
diggumsmax is offline  
post #1197 of 1506 Old 10-10-2019, 11:28 AM
Member
 
chinmokutak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
Just another update. Still having weird issues. HDR just quit working last night but that might be my fault. I changed the color settings in the Xbox menu from 10 bit to 12 bit. after that HDR did not work. I switched it back to 10 bit but HDR still wouldn't work. after a couple of reboots, a different cable, and a different port HDR finally started working but I'm getting odd dropouts. I'm thinking it's either the actual HDMI port itself, or it's a software issue.

I haven't got a chance to play any games yet but is there any good tool out there to test latency? Just a personal preference but I'm not a fan of pure motion due to the soap opera effect so I'll always have that set to zero.

Edit: I noticed that when I wasn't getting HDR the input option in the menu showed it has no signal even though video is playing. If anyone else has this issue with HDR check there. This shows the input resultion and color (HDR vs SDR).

I might try to get in touch with Optoma today if I have time. I'm really hoping these are just software issues and not hardware related.

Putting the issues those issues aside it's a great projector. You're definitely going to need an ALR screen though unless you have a bat cave. The biggest issue as I have white ceilings and the light bouncing off the ceiling is very brightand causes a bit of wash out at the top of the image even in a dark environment.

This is the first projector I've actually seen where I've noticed HDR. I've got a roughly 2-year-old Vizio but I've only slightly noticed the improvements with HDR on that TV set. It was really noticeable on the P1. I haven't tried outgoing yet so I'm a bit worried about the lag time but we will see. This thing definitely wasn't ready from a software standpoint. The app store is a complete joke and a waste of time. The sound bar actually sounds amazing but as most of already stated I've got i-5.1 setup so this is sort of a mute point. This truly could be a TV replacement for a non-audio buff. I personally thought it sounded as good as the Sonos sound bar but it'll need a subwoofer if you want any bass.

The bottom of the image is higher than I would like. I understand due to the manufacturing that every projectors not going to be the same but using the ruler they sent I'm using the bottom mark of 120 for a roughly 100 inch screen and it's 13 inches from the wall.

I think with some firmware updates this thing might end up being a great projector. I could be wrong and I could be having hardware issues but I will have to figure that out. Don't let my bad experience deter you from buying this projector as it seems like most people are not having this issue.

I tried to set it up with Alexa but optima makes it a huge hassle. You have to create a cloud account with optima. Before that you have to register your device which should be done anyways for the warranty, but after that it keeps telling me my device isn't registered so I can't use the Alexa skill. I still need to try and set this up on my Logitech remote so I can see IR actually works. Probably going to try and set it up in Hass.io later after I get off work.

There is quite a bit of screen flickering and weirdness when you mess around in the settings and change anything. This is somewhat understandable but it seems like it almost stops displaying the image to adjust to the new settings then comes back on. With HDMI I get a lot of screen going in and out when changing settings but a quickly goes away. The lower two screenshots, one is showing how much light gets reflected in the ceiling, this was to be expected but it's much better in person than it is in the picture. I'm using a Stewart Firehawk screen and previous posters and told me this would not be a good screen for UST.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Curious, how do you know if HDR is working or not?
chinmokutak is offline  
post #1198 of 1506 Old 10-10-2019, 11:35 AM
Senior Member
 
ProjectionHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what screen is that. The colors and contrast are a huge improvement over what I'm getting with my Stewart Firehawk.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Pardon me in case I am getting people mixed up, but I believe we spoke about how the P1 will not work with the Firehawk since it is a traditional ALR surface; hence it is not reflecting light from the UST towards the audience.

The minimum throw distance for a projector to work properly with the Firehawk would be 1.6 x the image width.
ProjectionHead is offline  
post #1199 of 1506 Old 10-10-2019, 11:36 AM
Senior Member
 
ProjectionHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmokutak View Post
Curious, how do you know if HDR is working or not?
Hit the info button on your media player and it should indicate if it is using HDR or SDR.
ProjectionHead is offline  
post #1200 of 1506 Old 10-10-2019, 11:48 AM
Newbie
 
OPTOMA PM DUDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post
Hi Tuan, this trick is not working with my sample UHZ65UST, I have checked all the factory Modes and all options were disabled and still getting 123 ms lag in 4K
Hello -- Input lag testing is conducted via a scope. What method is being used to measure input lag?

We have found that the Leo Bodnar 4K UHD Lag Tester is NOT reliable. The product has been removed from their store until some issues have been resolved.
OPTOMA PM DUDE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off