Optoma P1 4k Laser UST @ CES - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 780Likes

post #1351 of 1702 Old 10-15-2019, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Hey Tim, not sure can't reveal yet since it's invitation only (working in media/advertising) but will ask Optoma guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1702 Old 10-15-2019, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Crisci View Post
Not to be too cynical on my first ever post, but I don't understand how people are not packing their projectors back up and wait for the newer technology. They literally made the piece of equipment the old generation before they shipped out all of the first orders.
If you're comparing them to some of the Chinese manufacturers, there are a few things you are getting. Better support, a three year warranty, and overall better picture quality.

While Xiaomi are roughly 2/3rds the price, what's the warranty on it? I think they had a UST 1080p version for the US but for the 4k version you have to buy from China and see off brand seller with maybe a thirty day warranty. Lower lumens, poor color quality (based off of reviews).

If I bought the Xiaomi 4k version and it died after six months I'm pretty positive that there would be no easy way to get a replacement. At best you might have to ship to China and pay for shipping both ways. Input lag isn't much better on the Xiaomi either and I'm more optimistic about Optoma improving it via a firmware.

There's always something better around the corner and there always will be. Outside the Epson LS500 (early 2020, if it doesn't get pushed back), there aren't any other competing UST's coming out soon. The model for Europe is brighter but you pay for it. Sure, there will be a bunch of stuff anounced in January/February, but so was the P1 and LG at the beginning of the year. The LG is superior in every way. Two laser, no colors wheel, lower distance to where the bottom of the image is but you certainly pay for it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #1353 of 1702 Old 10-15-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solal- View Post
Ok thank you for the anwser. The test with Doom also interest me as it's a very speed FPS. And what do you think of the picture quality when playing game ?
I finally got around to playing DOOM and I didn't notice any lag. DOOM isn't HDR so I was able to put it the P1 in game mode.As of now, there is no HDR game mode so I have no idea if HDR increases lag but I didn't notice it compared to the other HDR games I had played.

I'm a casual console gamer, maybe ten hours a week at most. I don't play PC games so someone who does and uses a keyboard and mouse might be able to notice the lag more but it's perfectly acceptable to me.

Eagle13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1354 of 1702 Old 10-15-2019, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Here’s the official unboxing.

post #1355 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 03:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Did you use the media player of the projector and does it handle all format (h265 4k hdr for example with large bitrate) ?
Or is it better to use an external media player (nvidia shield, xiaomi mi box S) ? My current projector is 1080p so I didn't upgrade to 4k box yet I have only my ps4 pro that can handle netflix in 4k HDR but it doesn't read h265 4k.
post #1356 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
can you use the projector instantly using hdmi ports or do i need to wait an operating system to load?

i mean... i have tested the xiaomi and it needs to boot android tv, more than 30 seconds, and it doesn't have netflix or amazon prime, so you are going to need external player as my nvidia shield tv.

Enviado desde mi POCOPHONE F1 mediante Tapatalk
post #1357 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Did you use the media player of the projector and does it handle all format (h265 4k hdr for example with large bitrate) ?
Or is it better to use an external media player (nvidia shield, xiaomi mi box S) ? My current projector is 1080p so I didn't upgrade to 4k box yet I have only my ps4 pro that can handle netflix in 4k HDR but it doesn't read h265 4k.
I haven't tried the media player but the apps are terrible. All are limited to 480p except YouTube. I have no idea the reasoning behind this. People had mentioned that it may be due to licensing disputes. I play high bit rate (50Mbps +) 4K media from Plex using my Xbox one X. No issues at all.

post #1358 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.c.g. View Post
can you use the projector instantly using hdmi ports or do i need to wait an operating system to load?

i mean... i have tested the xiaomi and it needs to boot android tv, more than 30 seconds, and it doesn't have netflix or amazon prime, so you are going to need external player as my nvidia shield tv.

It takes around 20 seconds to boot. it displays an optima splash screen almost immediately. I'm not sure why as I have it in "smartskill" power mode so I can turn it on with Alexa. The full OS may need to load. I don't notice the image getting any brighter over time like I would with a bulb based projector so it's not about warm up like a traditional bulb projector. It's just instantly bright.

post #1359 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 06:10 AM
g4s

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Yeah, it works great on large h265 4k HDR files. Smooth playback. It doesn't pass thru DTS though. Every other audio format I've tried works. Also, I can't find a way to turn on subtitles. Not sure if forced subs work yet.
You have to format your drive ExFat / Master boot record. Not GUID.

Another thing to know is I don't think master boot record supports a drive larger than 4tb. I tried a 5tb, no go.

Last edited by g4s; 10-16-2019 at 06:18 AM.
post #1360 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.c.g. View Post

It takes around 20 seconds to boot. it displays an optima splash screen almost immediately. I'm not sure why as I have it in "smartskill" power mode so I can turn it on with Alexa. The full OS may need to load. I don't notice the image getting any brighter over time like I would with a bulb based projector so it's not about warm up like a traditional bulb projector. It's just instantly bright.

Is it possible to boot directly to your last input?

In Xiaomi it boots to its built in Android first and you have select input every boot

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #1361 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post
Yeah, it works great on large h265 4k HDR files. Smooth playback. It doesn't pass thru DTS though. Every other audio format I've tried works. Also, I can't find a way to turn on subtitles. Not sure if forced subs work yet.

Another thing to know is I don't think master boot record supports a drive larger than 4tb. I tried a 5tb, no go.
please tell me you found a way to turn on subtitles!
post #1362 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 09:10 AM

@g4s is it passing Dolby Atmos?
post #1363 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I received my Optoma P1 and am going to set it up alongside my Xiaomi A300 for some really basic comparison shots tonight. Aside from that and input lag is there anything anyone would like me to check out while I have both set up?
Casey_Bryson and Siteman like this.
post #1364 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Has anyone tried 3d if so can you post what glasses your using that are good? Thanks!
mlkconcept and CopyRon like this.
post #1365 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 10:55 AM

@Knolly that would be super helpful!

I guess, few things:

- SDR vs 4K/HDR content (Netflix/Amazon/USB movies)
- black levels
- projection distance for 100' image
- ALR screen vs 4k grey/white not ALR one
- contrast daylight vs night
- input lag on gaming
- colour accuracy/sharpness
- audio/soundbar performance and audio formats pass through (via ARC) with AV receiver
- overall noise level
- HDMI devices working fine (i.e. Firestick 4k)

Honestly anything would be precious!

Thanks!
post #1366 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 11:04 AM

Just got a message from europe france that their version is the .47 chip set
jbl_lvr likes this.
post #1367 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 26
@Gae80uk

I don't have the capabilities for a lot of that but I'll do my best! No receiver or anything fancy and just a single ALR screeen, but I'm going to plug my Roku Stick+ into an HDMI splitter to output to both screens at the same time. Plus I'll do some testing with my laptop to check input lag between the two. Unfortunately it won't be anything scientific but should at least give a little bit of an idea!
post #1368 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolly View Post
I received my Optoma P1 and am going to set it up alongside my Xiaomi A300 for some really basic comparison shots tonight. Aside from that and input lag is there anything anyone would like me to check out while I have both set up?
Finally someone with the "highend" Xiaomi (with 25% increase in lumens over the base line version) to test against the P1. Should be interesting. I think the biggest differences and most interest should be with the overall brightness and contrast, but perhaps they will only be slight...we shall see. I know my Fengmi is stunning.

Besides brightness and contrast in HDR I would like to see a comparison of Frame Packed 3D with the same 3D glasses if you can--probably a big ask, but I know there are a lot of 3D fans out there that are looking for the best possible 3D with a 4K HDR capable projector.
mlkconcept and CopyRon like this.

Last edited by Casey_Bryson; 10-16-2019 at 12:09 PM.
post #1369 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 01:16 PM

@Knolly ahah yeah sorry! I went full on with requests! :P Anything you can try/check/compare would be gold really...also if you can plug in any Ps4 pro or Xbox-X would be great to see how they handle 4K/HDR gaming
post #1370 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post

Ok thank you, so it doesn't support ntfs ?
post #1371 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolly View Post
try to display closed captioning please!
post #1372 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodof View Post
try to display closed captioning please!

Roodof you can still use an other player than the integrated one, and if the integrated one didn't support subtitles it will certainly added later. But I hope the integrated player work well and support subtitle too so I will not have to buy a 4k video player. What would be greater is to have a projector with open source firmware so people could improve it more easily but it will not happen soon I think. Nevertheless if the p1 firmware is not signed, it will maybe be possible to modify it, improve it or add support for some other applications.

Also, the fact that the input lag is high could come from the use of android, I think with a minimal real-time version of linux it could be faster.
post #1373 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
If you're comparing them to some of the Chinese manufacturers, there are a few things you are getting. Better support, a three year warranty, and overall better picture quality.

While Xiaomi are roughly 2/3rds the price, what's the warranty on it? I think they had a UST 1080p version for the US but for the 4k version you have to buy from China and see off brand seller with maybe a thirty day warranty. Lower lumens, poor color quality (based off of reviews).

If I bought the Xiaomi 4k version and it died after six months I'm pretty positive that there would be no easy way to get a replacement. At best you might have to ship to China and pay for shipping both ways. Input lag isn't much better on the Xiaomi either and I'm more optimistic about Optoma improving it via a firmware.

There's always something better around the corner and there always will be. Outside the Epson LS500 (early 2020, if it doesn't get pushed back), there aren't any other competing UST's coming out soon. The model for Europe is brighter but you pay for it. Sure, there will be a bunch of stuff anounced in January/February, but so was the P1 and LG at the beginning of the year. The LG is superior in every way. Two laser, no colors wheel, lower distance to where the bottom of the image is but you certainly pay for it.

So, if money is not the problem, would you rather go for the LG? Because the only thing that makes me wanting to buy the optoma p1 or (if I could the Eur version) is that almost every reviewer said that is the best, but I haven't seen any comparison yet that has showed me that the optoma is really the best for the 3000-6000 usd budget. I Supposed that's best than my old xiaomi because it was the first ust that xiaomi made and it has 3 years now and with a dead pixel.
post #1374 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
first direct comparison between LG HU85 and Optoma P1

A German reseller just posted the first video with a short direct comparison( in German)

http://grobitv.chayns.net/ticker

in short: they are pretty close to each other regarding picture quality ( as mentioned before by a different reseller). regarding distance and position to the screen...well, look for yourself.
copperfield74 and MiguePizar like this.
post #1375 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalle4242 View Post
A German reseller just posted the first video with a short direct comparison( in German)

http://grobitv.chayns.net/ticker

in short: they are pretty close to each other regarding picture quality ( as mentioned before by a different reseller). regarding distance and position to the screen...well, look for yourself.
He got the projectors today, and tomorrow I already get mine from him. Now that's what I call fast.
post #1376 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguePizar View Post
So, if money is not the problem, would you rather go for the LG? Because the only thing that makes me wanting to buy the optoma p1 or (if I could the Eur version) is that almost every reviewer said that is the best, but I haven't seen any comparison yet that has showed me that the optoma is really the best for the 3000-6000 usd budget. I Supposed that's best than my old xiaomi because it was the first ust that xiaomi made and it has 3 years now and with a dead pixel.
Yes, I would have bought the LG if money wasn't an issue. I had my eyes on that since they announced it. Once they announced the price the P1 was my only option unless I wanted to wait another year or at least until the Epson comes out early next year. I also haven't been able to find a price on the Epson without an ALR screen because Epson is trying to sell them in a combo.

I knew the LG was going to cost more due to having two lasers and no color wheel but I didn't expect it to be as much a difference as it was from the P1

post #1377 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 03:38 PM
g4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gae80uk View Post
@g4s is it passing Dolby Atmos?
I haven't tried it, but read that it will, but only through the ARC HDMI.
post #1378 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 03:42 PM
g4s

Quote:
Ok thank you, so it doesn't support ntfs ?
No it doesn't.
post #1379 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 04:34 PM

Hi there just got the p1 its amazing the screen in 4k and hdr is j real! Just using it on a wall for now till my screen gets here. If i try and update the software the screen goes black anyone else have that issue or is there no updates available?
post #1380 of 1702 Old 10-16-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
Is it possible to boot directly to your last input?

In Xiaomi it boots to its built in Android first and you have select input every boot
Klas the newer Xiaomi's/Fengmi/A300 can boot to the input you select in the menu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page