Optoma P1 4k Laser UST @ CES - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 800Likes

post #1651 of 1738 Old 11-08-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
if we want ALR screen, is UST specific screen the only option?
I would like to have ALR screen to remove the ceiling lights, but I have ST projector that I may use time to time.
I'm wondering if I could could get the regular ALR and use it for both UST and ST projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 1738 Old 11-08-2019, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmokutak View Post
if we want ALR screen, is UST specific screen the only option?
I would like to have ALR screen to remove the ceiling lights, but I have ST projector that I may use time to time.
I'm wondering if I could could get the regular ALR and use it for both UST and ST projector?
Yes, ALR screens for long throw and UST are completely different and will not be compatible with the type of projector they're not designed for.

My Home Theater
Screen: DNP Supernova BLADE (08-85)
Projector: Espon 5040ub
Receiver: Yamaha RX-671
Speakers: DefTech 8060-ST
post #1653 of 1738 Old 11-08-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
Yes, ALR screens for long throw and UST are completely different and will not be compatible with the type of projector they're not designed for.
Damn, that's too bad. It's an expensive investment to be forced into one formfactor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 1738 Old 11-08-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Quote:
Damn, that's too bad. It's an expensive investment to be forced into one formfactor...
That's really an odd use case. Why would you use another projector if you are going to have UST projector in the same spot? In either case you could just get a regular screen and use for both.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #1655 of 1738 Old 11-08-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
That's really an odd use case. Why would you use another projector if you are going to have UST projector in the same spot? In either case you could just get a regular screen and use for both.
True, I was also hoping not to get locked into a form factor, as paying for ALR means spending 2-3K... so next time I decide that UST was a bad idea and spend 2-3K for a projector, I was hoping not having to spend another 2-3K for a screen as well.

Is fair to say ALR would NOT improve picture quality if the room is dark?
post #1656 of 1738 Old 11-08-2019, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
True, I was also hoping not to get locked into a form factor, as paying for ALR means spending 2-3K... so next time I decide that UST was a bad idea and spend 2-3K for a projector, I was hoping not having to spend another 2-3K for a screen as well.

Very good 120” UST screens can be had for $1,300 and almost half that price for 100”. Still not cheap but you certainly don’t have to pay $3,000 for good quality screen.
post #1657 of 1738 Old 11-08-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:

IMO, I don't see a strong use-case to switch between UST and a traditional long-throw projector if it's the same room. If you have the right room, a long-throw projector is still superior in many ways. UST's are great for rooms where you don't want the hassle of mounting a projector from behind and/or you don't want to be blinded by the projector light whenever you get up. They also deal with ambient light a lot better.

If you're deciding between a UST and a long-throw projector, just go with the long-throw if the room supports it. UST's are designed for a very specific type of setup where traditional setups wouldn't work well, so the use case of swapping between UST and long-throws just doesn't make sense to me.
Ricoflashback likes this.

My Home Theater
post #1658 of 1738 Old 11-09-2019, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperfield74 View Post
I recognized that I get a lot of artefacts when I activate PureMotion. Our TV signal comes from a Horizon Box in 1080p. When I turn PureMotion off and watch the News feed I can see the studder in the banner, but the overall picture is okay, but when I activate PureMotion (1,2,3) the news feed is smooth without studdering but the overall picture has many artifacts in normal scenes and specially in faster scenes. If I recall correctly that wasn't an issue when I got the projector. Any ideas?
I'M the proud owner of the UHZ65UST, not the P1!
Checked that with my cable tuner (VU+ Uno 4K SE) - no problems. But I had issues with a Technisat tuner before the update like flickering etc. Disappeared after replacing the Technisat with the VU+. Seems like the Optoma is extremly sensitive regarding HDMI issues. Hope this helps.
copperfield74 likes this.
post #1659 of 1738 Old 11-09-2019, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalle4242 View Post
Checked that with my cable tuner (VU+ Uno 4K SE) - no problems. But I had issues with a Technisat tuner before the update like flickering etc. Disappeared after replacing the Technisat with the VU+. Seems like the Optoma is extremly sensitive regarding HDMI issues. Hope this helps.
I checked if the output is 24Hz... and found of the the Output is labeled 1080p/50Hz! Maybe that’s the reason why I get artifacts. But the problem started about a week ago, before it was always great. Maybe my Horizon Box got an update that I haven’t recognized?
What is your output?
post #1660 of 1738 Old 11-09-2019, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 5
I had the local dealer give a demo at my place out here in India today, and that too didn't have the ceiling throw option that the US P1s have..

This unit that he had, was brought from Taiwan, so looks like the APAC versions are similar (or same) to UHZ65UST model?
Can anyone please confirm here???

Not sure if the higher lumens of the UHZ were also carried over in this unit though, but the brightness was pretty good, considering it was really sunny today out here at about 36-37 degrees celsius & the picture was pretty much watchable without any screen, and the image thrown directly over a very shabby yellowish-cream wall. (imperfections were magnified to the level of extent of becoming an eyesore, as this pj is very unforgiving to the surface it projects the image onto).
Watched some 4k videos from Youtube via the PS4 Pro & also played RDR2 with HDR on for a bit.. Didnt feel any lag at all btw, for an untrained eye having a causal gaming experience...
(Even in these unforgiving conditions with so much daylight splashing on the wall, the pj was handling it pretty darn good. See the vid footage attached..)

The pics of RDR2 are at about 120inch screen size (pj position measuring 26 inches from wall till front) & the pics of the homescreen and the scenery are at about 130-132inch screen.

No fan noise felt at all as well, though it did get a bit warm with just about 15-20 mins of 4k usage on bright mode (peeps trying to squish this thing into a cabinet in arid regions, beware. You might need enough room for this to vent out the heat, slightly more than the manual says, so take precautions on fitting a good exhaust fan out there for appropriate heat dissipation).

Only thing is I would now have to think about my center PSB Imagine speaker, as this Nuforce speaker alone in its own might, is indeed mighty capable, with all the oomph. Would probably think of using it in a Dolby Atmos mode configured through my NAD 758 V3 amp (IFF it is mounted on the ceiling).

Really wish Optoma plans on a no-speaker version/model of this pj, with a smaller size & footprint...https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5dc70774..._000621735.mp4

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk
post #1661 of 1738 Old 11-10-2019, 08:36 AM

I just started experiencing a new issue on FW C12. The overall warmth of the image will flicker to super cool for a split second and then go back to normal. It's so fast that it's barely noticeable, but I can assure you it's happening. It only seems to appear when switching between an HDR and then a non-HDR source. Has anyone else experienced this?

My Home Theater
post #1662 of 1738 Old 11-11-2019, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Does the Optima P1 support native 4k resolution or is it upscaling from 1080p? If not are there any UST projectors with native 4k?

TV: Samsung UN65JU7100
AVR: Yamaha RX-V683
Sony UBP-700 UHD, Apple 4kTV, Direct TV
5.1.2 Speakers: Front - Polk RM30, Center - Polk Csi5, Surround and Height (4) - Polk OWM3, Sub - Martin Logan Abyss
post #1663 of 1738 Old 11-11-2019, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusto400 View Post
Does the Optima P1 support native 4k resolution or is it upscaling from 1080p? If not are there any UST projectors with native 4k?
It's not upscaling 1080p, it's a pixel shifter like every other "4k" projector in this price range which is good enough, if you want true native 4k you probably want this then https://www.sony.com/electronics/projector/vpl-vz1000es

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #1664 of 1738 Old 11-11-2019, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihar P View Post
I had the local dealer give a demo at my place out here in India today, and that too didn't have the ceiling throw option that the US P1s have.. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]

This unit that he had, was brought from Taiwan, so looks like the APAC versions are similar (or same) to UHZ65UST model?
Can anyone please confirm here???

Not sure if the higher lumens of the UHZ were also carried over in this unit though, but the brightness was pretty good, considering it was really sunny today out here at about 36-37 degrees celsius & the picture was pretty much watchable without any screen, and the image thrown directly over a very shabby yellowish-cream wall. (imperfections were magnified to the level of extent of becoming an eyesore, as this pj is very unforgiving to the surface it projects the image onto).
Watched some 4k videos from Youtube via the PS4 Pro & also played RDR2 with HDR on for a bit.. Didnt feel any lag at all btw, for an untrained eye having a causal gaming experience...
(Even in these unforgiving conditions with so much daylight splashing on the wall, the pj was handling it pretty darn good. See the vid footage attached..)

The pics of RDR2 are at about 120inch screen size (pj position measuring 26 inches from wall till front) & the pics of the homescreen and the scenery are at about 130-132inch screen.

No fan noise felt at all as well, though it did get a bit warm with just about 15-20 mins of 4k usage on bright mode (peeps trying to squish this thing into a cabinet in arid regions, beware. You might need enough room for this to vent out the heat, slightly more than the manual says, so take precautions on fitting a good exhaust fan out there for appropriate heat dissipation).

Only thing is I would now have to think about my center PSB Imagine speaker, as this Nuforce speaker alone in its own might, is indeed mighty capable, with all the oomph. Would probably think of using it in a Dolby Atmos mode configured through my NAD 758 V3 amp (IFF it is mounted on the ceiling).

Really wish Optoma plans on a no-speaker version/model of this pj, with a smaller size & footprint...https://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5dc70774..._000621735.mp4

Thank you for posting the image with the larger screen size(130"-132"). People have been asking on this forum, whether or not the image loses significant detail and clarity beyond 120" with no real answers for a while now. Do you think that PJ you have, assuming its the P1, can display a quality image at 150"?
BiggerPicture and Nihar P like this.
post #1665 of 1738 Old 11-12-2019, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
I've got my projector for more than a week now. I can say that the projector is very good for 4k/hdr source like recent movie filmed with digital camera and video games (I played death stranding on it all the weekend an it's very good). But for old media even in 4k (like old movie remastered), or in bluray (I don't even talk about dvd) I think the quality is very far from what I got with my sony hw55es who was great with all kind of media. I got a lot of noise on the images, even if I put the sharpness on 1, I don't know if I can change other parameter so the image look better because it's near to unwatchable. Also, even with 4k/HDR content I have do deactivate dynamic black and/or pure color, because with then the color seem very unrealistic, do other people feel the same ?

I currently watch movie with the integrated player or a PS4 (for netflix), but strangely I found that the quality with youtube even for non 4k video is not bad ( and 4k/60hz is really beautiful). This maybe come from the fact that I read my media from the internal video player and it seem it doesn't switch resolution considering the input video, so I bought an nvidia shield that I will get Friday and see if it's still the same with old movie.
post #1666 of 1738 Old 11-12-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick4d View Post
Thank you for posting the image with the larger screen size(130"-132"). People have been asking on this forum, whether or not the image loses significant detail and clarity beyond 120" with no real answers for a while now. Do you think that PJ you have, assuming its the P1, can display a quality image at 150"?
If you have a controlled light environment with a good ALR screen AND the couch from where you are going to see the picture is about 8ft apart or so, then I do not see any noticeable issue with atleast the 130-132".
150 inch might just be a bit of a stretch though, but should still pretty much be watchable.. You might be seeing a bit of a sharpness drop & get the clarity of only about a FullHD in that case, compared to the brightness & sharpness of a 4K that you get when it is projecting at 120".

(when we had first powered on the unit in an another darker room, the projector was very far away from the wall.. Might be far enough that it would be projecting a 150" screen, and I was still mesmerized with the image quality, compared to the quality that a traditional long throw lamp based projector would throw.

post #1667 of 1738 Old 11-12-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solal- View Post
I've got my projector for more than a week now. I can say that the projector is very good for 4k/hdr source like recent movie filmed with digital camera and video games (I played death stranding on it all the weekend an it's very good). But for old media even in 4k (like old movie remastered), or in bluray (I don't even talk about dvd) I think the quality is very far from what I got with my sony hw55es who was great with all kind of media. I got a lot of noise on the images, even if I put the sharpness on 1, I don't know if I can change other parameter so the image look better because it's near to unwatchable. Also, even with 4k/HDR content I have do deactivate dynamic black and/or pure color, because with then the color seem very unrealistic, do other people feel the same ?

I currently watch movie with the integrated player or a PS4 (for netflix), but strangely I found that the quality with youtube even for non 4k video is not bad ( and 4k/60hz is really beautiful). This maybe come from the fact that I read my media from the internal video player and it seem it doesn't switch resolution considering the input video, so I bought an nvidia shield that I will get Friday and see if it's still the same with old movie.
Sony is well known for doing a pretty good job at upscaling with their image software enhancements, so that might be doing the trick there..

Eagerly awaiting to see the AI upscaling magic of the Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 version coupled with this to see the output result.
I guess this is currently the best streamer that you can get for 4k viewing & 4k upscaling? (although traditionalists might debate that it makes the noir or the softness effect go, which the movie maker would've intended to show, and bring in unnecessary sharpness..)

post #1668 of 1738 Old 11-12-2019, 04:31 PM

Anyone heard about the CHIQ projectors from China?
I am hearing from the manufacturer that even their entry-level models like the B5U come with MEMC & coupled with a Vividstorm ALR screen, come very close to P1's performance, or are slightly better than P1 for half the cost.

Their C7UG model, which is their 2nd best model (with top being the CU8T, that has 3 separate laser sources for RGB), just blows the P1 out of the water!

C7UG is at 3000 ANSI lumens from source, has a S610 0.66" DMD chip, claiming to be capable of producing 130% of BT.709 & 450nits at 100".

Some vids here:

BiggerPicture likes this.

Last edited by Nihar P; 11-12-2019 at 04:37 PM.
post #1669 of 1738 Old 11-13-2019, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
I am hearing from the manufacturer that even their entry-level models like the B5U come with MEMC & coupled with a Vividstorm ALR screen, come very close to P1's performance, or are slightly better than P1 for half the cost.

Their C7UG model, which is their 2nd best model (with top being the CU8T, that has 3 separate laser sources for RGB), just blows the P1 out of the water!

C7UG is at 3000 ANSI lumens from source, has a S610 0.66" DMD chip, claiming to be capable of producing 130% of BT.709 & 450nits at 100".

Some vids here:

https://youtu.be/lP4ZjOx1hxk
https://youtu.be/GpsMBRoDJyA
It's the same problem as with all the other projectors from China (at least for us in UK) you would get no support and no warranty. The number of horror stories I have read on av forums about the Xiaomi put me off completely (even if the price is good)...personally unless they get officially released in my country I will avoid no matter what the claims of performance are (we all know from past history the models from China often claim numbers that do not live up to the hype)
post #1670 of 1738 Old 11-13-2019, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Why in HDR mode in the info panel, the color format show BT. 709 & HDR ? This shouldn't be BT 2020 ?
post #1671 of 1738 Old 11-13-2019, 10:13 AM
g4s

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by solal- View Post
Why in HDR mode in the info panel, the color format show BT. 709 & HDR ? This shouldn't be BT 2020 ?
That info panel describes what your input device is capable of. BT 709 (HDTV) and I believe UHD HDR always comes with BT 2020.
post #1672 of 1738 Old 11-13-2019, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

SNIP (vids)
Doesn't look to bad. Maybe you could start a new threads for the CHIQ projectors if they don't exist. The C7UG looks a lot like the LG for 6K and the B5U looks a lot like the Fengmi/Xiaomi 4K with MEMC which is on the Lune if IIRC. Neither casing is attractive to me, but interesting and deserving of their own thread.
post #1673 of 1738 Old 11-13-2019, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I just started experiencing a new issue on FW C12. The overall warmth of the image will flicker to super cool for a split second and then go back to normal. It's so fast that it's barely noticeable, but I can assure you it's happening. It only seems to appear when switching between an HDR and then a non-HDR source. Has anyone else experienced this?
I saw the same issue on my unit with the latest firmware. The color of the image will switch from scene to scene regardless of whether you playing 4K HDR content or not. Notice on Kodi and other video streaming app.

Below is my finding on P1 after used it for a week with projecting to wall.
- The image really pop (even with a non pure white wall) only when there's no ambient light especially at night. Day time viewing definitely need a ALR screen, else it make no different with the low lumen china projector.
- When play with BD 1080p ISO (through Kodi), image is still acceptable but not as sharp as real 4K video.
- No references on manual focus make focus tuning difficult as you have no idea which level are you at.
- Playing 3D BD ISO (through Kodi) not working, image came out 2D only. Nothing can be switch on 3D setting from the Optoma menu.
- Cable that came with the unit is NOT HDMI 2.0 ! For those using HDMI 2.0 capable tvbox, you'll need to change the HDMI cable.
- The built in media player is SUCK !! It seem like not a Android TV version like nVidia Shield, no GMS too mean you'll not be able to login to Youtube or any google app. Any app that's utilize any component of GMS will not function correctly too. Original Youtube app can play in guest mode.
- Third party app which I sideloaded intermittently exit itself, although the app work correctly on my Nvidia Shield.
- The marketplace app have very limited app, the worst app store I ever see. The interface look like using Aptoide. The Youtube app is the third party youtube app which have issue to load. I have sideloaded official Aptoide TV app on my unit since Google Play Store is not possible at this stage until address the GMS stuff.
- There's Pico TTS component built into the system that need to be disable (through android app setting, you need a separate app to access this), or else you'll get headache when playing the official Youtube app. So annoying, I am wondering why they need to add that in !
- There's few hidden media player app came with default, you can only see it through other android management app.
- Sound quality is ok when play with Dolby stuff, but not fantastic. I basically output it to my speaker through Sonos Amp.
- Local distributor said anything more than 120", the image will start get blur at the edge as they has tested it.
- The measurement template only have 85", 100", 120". For 90" & 110" you'll have to manually dig out the info from Optoma website, it is there on one of the documentation.

Did any one manage to find a ALR screen with 1.0-1.5 gain with reasonable price?
post #1674 of 1738 Old 11-14-2019, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Playing 3D BD ISO (through Kodi) not working, image came out 2D only.

Make sure you set the shield to output 1080 and not 4k when you are playing 3d
post #1675 of 1738 Old 11-14-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheres3d View Post
Playing 3D BD ISO (through Kodi) not working, image came out 2D only.

Make sure you set the shield to output 1080 and not 4k when you are playing 3d
Username checks out.

My Home Theater
post #1676 of 1738 Old 11-15-2019, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I checked if the output is 24Hz... and found of the the Output is labeled 1080p/50Hz! Maybe that’s the reason why I get artifacts. But the problem started about a week ago, before it was always great. Maybe my Horizon Box got an update that I haven’t recognized?
What is your output?
It´s 2160p/50Hz - the VU+ has a (pretty good) upscaling unit and you can set the HDMI output signal nearly to anything. The Technisat was 1080p and had lots of flickering especially when you switched it on on before(!) the Optoma - which is what the reseller guy told me to not do.
copperfield74 likes this.
post #1677 of 1738 Old 11-15-2019, 01:15 AM

Has anyone had success setting up this projector with the Harmony remote? Had an attempt yesterday and the model is not recognised in their database, attempted to train it by using the remote but it was not recognising the key presses.
post #1678 of 1738 Old 11-15-2019, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
It is not Native 4K, it is native 1080p. These DLP pixels are still 1080p size pixels, shifted 4 ways to create 4K. It can look good, but it is not NATIVE 4K. Native 4K pixels are four times smaller.

As an Optoma 4K UHD customer, I can confirm that their products lack the resolution and detail of a true 4K display.
I have it setup in the same room as a Samsung 4K UHD screen and the resolution/detail in the image is noticeably better to the naked eye compared to the Optoma.

So I'd be wary of any company claiming that TI 4K DMDs have a "native" resolution of 3840x2160.
MDesigns likes this.
post #1679 of 1738 Old 11-15-2019, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Mclaughlin View Post
Has anyone had success setting up this projector with the Harmony remote? Had an attempt yesterday and the model is not recognised in their database, attempted to train it by using the remote but it was not recognising the key presses.
I had no problem using the learn function on my Harmony One.
Ian Mclaughlin likes this.
post #1680 of 1738 Old 11-15-2019, 02:43 AM

Quote:
I had no problem using the learn function on my Harmony One.
Thanks I'll give it another shot tonight, possibly I was doing something wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page