Optoma P1 4k Laser UST @ CES - Page 61 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 834Likes

post #1801 of 1829 Old 11-28-2019, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Spiga View Post
These are the calibrations setting.

I think is better if you set in Deutch the language so you find more easily the menus, and then you put back your favourite language
Interesting, I see that Dynamic Black is activated for both HD and 4K modes....for me I found Dynamic Black to mess around with the colours. But will give these settings a try once I translate them into english. Thanks for sharing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 1829 Old 11-28-2019, 03:03 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Mclaughlin View Post
Interesting, I see that Dynamic Black is activated for both HD and 4K modes....for me I found Dynamic Black to mess around with the colours. But will give these settings a try once I translate them into english. Thanks for sharing
I Like to share knowledge, is the only way to arrive fast to a goal.

Niow i would like to solve this problem with my firmware update that don't find the C12 version.
post #1803 of 1829 Old 11-28-2019, 03:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I would like to know if the "light frame" around your screens is quite visible.
When I'm in a pitch black room I see the light frame all around the boarders but the picture fills the screen so I don't think that I have to get the projector closer to the screen.
Anyone out here with the same observations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1804 of 1829 Old 11-28-2019, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Any P1 owners out there use the projector placed on top of a center channel? In my setup, I would basically be placing it on a mini-riser over the center speaker (which itself sits on a TV cabinet). The vertical offset/screen height is really my biggest issue - I don't have a problem with distance from the wall.

I've been entertaining the possibility of switching from my 75" LG to a UST in my living room, but I would really like to do so without changing my existing speaker configuration. I'm basically searching for a larger 3D-capable display, so flat panels aren't an option.

That's exactly what I did, I ask a carpenter to build a tailored raiser. I have woodwork on the wall so I need to have the images over it and then I calculated that by raising it a bit more I could put my central speaker under, before that I put under the cabinet but I was on the floor bellow sofa it's better like that as I have in front of me.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191128_115344(1).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	2646646  
tezster likes this.
post #1805 of 1829 Old 11-28-2019, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Mclaughlin View Post

I agree, in HDR it's less visible but in other mode I generally disable dynamic black or at least put brilliant color to 1 but having the two make the color very unrealistic. I project on a white wall but I will try it too I hope it will help to have a better colorimetry . Before I had a sony with a dynamic focal when I used it, it was sometime to strong and the picture become very dark or very bright in few second but it didn't change the color and you can keep the reference mode, here with dynamic black what is strange is that it didn't change only the brightness but also the color, so I don't know how you can calibrate something with it activated.

Also personally I found that puremotion make the motion totally unrealistic too and very strange to look at , so I always deactivate it (it was the same on my previous projector a sony and an other optoma so maybe it's a personal things).
post #1806 of 1829 Old 11-28-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post
I made a small platform for my P1 and center channel. It's 2 1/2" tall. The speaker is raised 2 1/2" above that. There's plenty of room against the wall for a large center channel.
Interesting idea... two questions:

What screen size are you using for your projector?
What is the total depth of the setup in your picture, from the back of your center speaker to the back of the projector?
post #1807 of 1829 Old 11-28-2019, 10:32 PM
g4s

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
Interesting idea... two questions:

What screen size are you using for your projector?
What is the total depth of the setup in your picture, from the back of your center speaker to the back of the projector?
It's a 120" screen. From the back of the speaker to the back of the P1 is 30 3/4". I actually could have raised the speaker another couple inches without interfering with the projected image.
tezster likes this.
post #1808 of 1829 Old 11-30-2019, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I got the email notification today from Amazon that my order of Optoma P1 was shipped on the 29th. Is anybody here heard from Amazon too?
imhotep6 likes this.
post #1809 of 1829 Old 12-01-2019, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
You are lucky to have a confirmed shipping date. I ordered the UHZ65UST last week and still ETA Dec 06 - Dec 11. Have never seen such wide spread ETA before and since other shops here claim ETA Jan 2020 I'm starting to doubt about delivery before Christmas.

LG completely failed to pinpoint the sweetspot pricing for their HU85LA but why not just bite the bullet, settle with 4.4-4.7k EUR/USD and grab a big share of the Christmas and future sales instead of silly 6k and basically no sales? Almost makes me think they don't want to interfere with their current OLED sales. Credit to Optoma who seems to be right on the money with the P1/UHZ65UST pricing.
post #1810 of 1829 Old 12-01-2019, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Is anyone else getting washed out blacks using the latest nVidia Shield with non-HDR content? It appears it's sending 16-235 instead of full range (0-255) and the Optoma has no setting to change the input range, and the SHIELD won't let me either.

My Home Theater
Screen: DNP Supernova BLADE (08-85)
Projector: Espon 5040ub
Receiver: Yamaha RX-671
Speakers: DefTech 8060-ST
post #1811 of 1829 Old 12-01-2019, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPTOMA PM DUDE View Post
Yes - we are working on a solution for 4K UHD and 1080p. We will work to provide info in the coming week or two.

Please be patient. :-)
Unless I have missed some recent info, it has been a few weeks and wondering if you had any updates for us with possible gaming improvements. If no new news, I guess if there is a estimate of how much improvement we could see? For example, sub 30ms, sub 50ms, sub 80ms input lag is possible??? Current choice is LG 77" with sub 14ms lag with VRR vs Optoma 120" with ?ms lag. Also, I hope some company is planning a lower input lag (at least sub 30ms) UST projector with HDMA 2.1 feature set including ALLM, VRR and eARC. In a year or two that would be a major breakthrough and a gamer's dream.

Thank you
Kev1000000, freejak13 and J Bone like this.

Last edited by Dr.Savage; 12-01-2019 at 06:23 PM.
post #1812 of 1829 Old 12-02-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
Is anyone else getting washed out blacks using the latest nVidia Shield with non-HDR content? It appears it's sending 16-235 instead of full range (0-255) and the Optoma has no setting to change the input range, and the SHIELD won't let me either.
I'm using the shield 2019 without problem, just some time I have to switch the resolution manually when I've just watched a HDR 10 movie and switch to a non hdr one because the shield stay in 4K HDR, but it depend how you configure your shield
post #1813 of 1829 Old 12-03-2019, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is this pixelshift projector worth paying 2x price compared to the Xiaomi Mi 1080p projector? It's 1'400$ (Xiaomi Mi) vs 3'000$ (Optoma P1) here.
Is the projector completely unusable for games, or does it work ok for light gaming?

Reason I ask is that my Xiaomi Mi 1080p broke, and I'm not sure what to replace it with or just get the same thing again because their is not yet a clear upgrade path.

Thanks
post #1814 of 1829 Old 12-03-2019, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by beisat View Post
Is this pixelshift projector worth paying 2x price compared to the Xiaomi Mi 1080p projector? It's 1'400$ (Xiaomi Mi) vs 3'000$ (Optoma P1) here.
Is the projector completely unusable for games, or does it work ok for light gaming?

Reason I ask is that my Xiaomi Mi 1080p broke, and I'm not sure what to replace it with or just get the same thing again because their is not yet a clear upgrade path.

Thanks
How did yours break? I have used 1080p Mi for a year and been quite impressed with it as 4k content looked excellent. For no real reason other then BF rush ordered VAVA as a replacement. I did also consider P1 even ordered it but it got delayed. Although from reading reviews I didn't feel like it was worth the $$$.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #1815 of 1829 Old 12-03-2019, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
How did yours break? I have used 1080p Mi for a year and been quite impressed with it as 4k content looked excellent. For no real reason other then BF rush ordered VAVA as a replacement. I did also consider P1 even ordered it but it got delayed. Although from reading reviews I didn't feel like it was worth the $$$.
For the Mi 1080p, the DLP Chip is dying, I am seeing white pixels. Since I bought the Chinese one at the time, I don't have any support or guarantee unfortunately. And it seems impossible to find the chip (DLP4711FQL) for replacement. Hence I don't really feel like buying the same projector again (even if this time it would be the international Android Version with guarantee), but it still almost seems like the best price / performance candidate out there, excluding maybe this Optima P1. I'm not getting the Xiaomi 4k one from China (learned my lesson) and it's not available here as an international version.

Btw, the HDR from the Mi 1080p is a bit lacking in the displaying of grey I have heard, but haven't tested that yet because of no UHD to watch (yet).

So for me, I must judge if this Optoma P1 is worth getting or if I must bite the bullet and get another Mi.
post #1816 of 1829 Old 12-03-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
For the Mi 1080p, the DLP Chip is dying, I am seeing white pixels. Since I bought the Chinese one at the time, I don't have any support or guarantee unfortunately. And it seems impossible to find the chip (DLP4711FQL) for replacement. Hence I don't really feel like buying the same projector again (even if this time it would be the international Android Version with guarantee), but it still almost seems like the best price / performance candidate out there, excluding maybe this Optima P1. I'm not getting the Xiaomi 4k one from China (learned my lesson) and it's not available here as an international version.

Btw, the HDR from the Mi 1080p is a bit lacking in the displaying of grey I have heard, but haven't tested that yet because of no UHD to watch (yet).

So for me, I must judge if this Optoma P1 is worth getting or if I must bite the bullet and get another Mi.
At the very least you will gain quietness with P1... though P1 is MIA and price hike, so you might be looking at long time before you can get your hands on it.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #1817 of 1829 Old 12-04-2019, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Having an expensive piece of AV equipment die is no fun! I just had my receiver die so I know the feeling of not wanting to buy the same model, manufacturer, etc... in fear of experiencing the same pain to your head, heart, and wallet. That being said, keep in mind that it was the DLP chip and being an owner for several DLP sets over the years...it's not unique to Xioami to have these fail. Samsung, Mitsubishi, ...I'm sure every manufacturer that uses their chip sets has this issue. Buying a P1 isn't going to help in this case. It's a gamble with any tech you buy and it's one of the things we have to be aware of with DLP--we buy the good and the bad.

If I were you I would just think of it this way: You can buy a few more Xiaomi's (and get an upgrade in the process) and still be ahead. The 4K versions are 1.5K U.S. . You can always get a warranty from something like squaretrade if that's a concern for you. I think there are a few on the Xioami Mijia 4K thread that have done so.

P1 is no doubt a great option to have! Looking forward to what 2020 brings in the UST market.
post #1818 of 1829 Old 12-05-2019, 12:44 AM

Hey guys I still have the same problem with my Optoma. There is no way to install C12 firmware, he continue to tell me that i had already installed the newest version possible, the C11.

My right half of the screen start to flicker more often.

Someone now if there is an hidden menu or something that let me do a deeper reset, not like the standard "reset to default".
post #1819 of 1829 Old 12-05-2019, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Just got an email from BHphoto saying that the Optoma P1 I ordered about 2 weeks ago is still on backorder, and that they are sorry for the delay... I hope Optoma is holding these back from retailers and dealers so they can work out the list of problems people here have been posting about. 😕
post #1820 of 1829 Old 12-06-2019, 09:33 AM

Liked: 14
My ship date just went from 12/5 to 12/31.
post #1821 of 1829 Old 12-06-2019, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey,

are you guys also feeling that the input lag is really really bad for this projector? I thought it wasn't bad on Shield, but I tried plugging in a PC yesterday, and it was beyond usable. Not even for a casual game..
post #1822 of 1829 Old 12-06-2019, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmokutak View Post
Hey,

are you guys also feeling that the input lag is really really bad for this projector? I thought it wasn't bad on Shield, but I tried plugging in a PC yesterday, and it was beyond usable. Not even for a casual game..
Hello, I believe the lag is around 100ms, which is terrible. However a Optoma rep has been in this very thread saying they are looking to introduce a firmware update to address that. I asked for any follow up from him a few posts higher in this tread. He hasn't posted in a little while. But hopefully will have some news for us soon. My concern is the input lag will only improve to around 50ms. I don't think we are going to be in the sub 30ms realm, but I would love to be proven wrong. The LG laser projector has around 50-57ms input lag the last I saw (in game mode), so hopefully we hear even better news. The Optoma rep is actually a gamer himself, so he was looking forward to that future firmware update himself.

Last edited by Dr.Savage; 12-06-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #1823 of 1829 Old 12-07-2019, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Optoma P1 or Sony VPL-295ES?

I'm considering buying either the Optoma P1 or the Sony VPL-295ES. I was going to pick the P1 because ease of setup but I see that it has a few issues and not a lot of reviews out there. I can get the Sony 295ES for $3K so it's roughly the same price point as the P1 except quite of bit of installation work is required and possibly lower image brightness. The P1 would be paired with 120" Elite Vision CLR while the Sony would be paired with Screen Excellence Ambient Visionaire Black 1.2. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this matter.
post #1824 of 1829 Old 12-07-2019, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Can someone help me please trying to level the projector I have the top of the screen level but the bottom on both right and left side doesn’t line up, trying to do it with out keystone correction, anyone have anytips on how they did it?
post #1825 of 1829 Old 12-07-2019, 06:38 PM
g4s

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdub69 View Post
Can someone help me please trying to level the projector I have the top of the screen level but the bottom on both right and left side doesn’t line up, trying to do it with out keystone correction, anyone have anytips on how they did it?
From a post I made a while back.

I can tell you how I set mine up. First I set the projector on the stand sitting level and moved it around until the image on the wall measured 59" tall. (the height of a 120" 16:9 image) Then I measured the distance from the floor to the top of the image. Marked the top of the image with masking tape. From there I marked the location of the brackets for the screen. Hung the screen, then moved the projector around and made small adjustments to the feet until it filled the screen. My screen has a 1/2" bezel, so that was my margin for error. I didn't have to use any geometry correction. It took a while though. As you know small adjustments can make a large difference.
If you try this method, I would first make sure any geometry correction is disabled.
Dr.Savage likes this.
post #1826 of 1829 Old 12-08-2019, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys
I just receive my projector with 110 elunevision ust Nanoedge
What is the distance from the sceen, high and lenght I should place the projector.
Thanks
post #1827 of 1829 Old 12-08-2019, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Would this provide a good alternative for a conventional (lamp based, normal throw) projector - like the Epson 5050UB which I’m considering ? I realize that price wise the Optoma P1 is higher, but I’m liking the flexibility of placement. But image quality is important for me.

My current setup: Benq W1070, Silver Ticket normal white screen (0.95 gain), 120”
Room: Untreated* (white walls), hardwood floor
Viewing: 100% night time, streamed content (movies, TV shows) and NO sports or games, averaged about 1000 hrs per year

(* room treatment is in the cards .... part of my planned upgrade)
post #1828 of 1829 Old 12-08-2019, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrackl View Post
Would this provide a good alternative for a conventional (lamp based, normal throw) projector - like the Epson 5050UB which I’m considering ? I realize that price wise the Optoma P1 is higher, but I’m liking the flexibility of placement. But image quality is important for me.

My current setup: Benq W1070, Silver Ticket normal white screen (0.95 gain), 120”
Room: Untreated* (white walls), hardwood floor
Viewing: 100% night time, streamed content (movies, TV shows) and NO sports or games, averaged about 1000 hrs per year

(* room treatment is in the cards .... part of my planned upgrade)
If you've got a dedicated room and care a lot about image quality, I would go with the Epson 5050. It's better in almost every way in a dedicated theater environment.

My Home Theater
Screen: DNP Supernova BLADE (08-85)
Projector: Espon 5040ub
Receiver: Yamaha RX-671
Speakers: DefTech 8060-ST
post #1829 of 1829 Old Yesterday, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Spiga View Post
Hi guys, someone of you know if exist a kinf of hard reset on the P1 / UHZ65UST.

When i try to look for system update he answer that already is installed the newer version, but i know for sure that the newer is not the C11 like he said, because someone of you had the C12 installed.

I had some problem to solve, for example i'm using a Firestick 4K, but to see content in HDR I must set the Firestick 4K Dinamic Range in "Always HDR", but like this some content are over exposed. If I choose "Adaptive" when i play HDR content go out every time in SDR. Only if i use the internal movie player i can see HDR content.

I ask also to the support at Optoma Europe but seems like they don't know nothing about this new projector.

For info i buy it in Germany, i ordered the 26 of October and received the 12 of November.
Crazy, Optoma Germany answer to my problem.

They send me a link with the firmware C12 to download, and a walktrough for the updating.

Now i will try
copperfield74 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page