Optoma P1 4k Laser UST @ CES - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 904Likes

post #2041 of 2046 Old 02-07-2020, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by legnaz View Post
Where did you guys buy your screens at? Anyone had any luck with CarlsPlace? I need to find a screen under $300. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post
there will be some people on here that may say painting the wall is the best way but there's some other things to consider. The wall has to be completely flat and level. Any distortion is extremely noticable when using UST.
Seconding this. I didn't realize just how important it is that the screen is perfectly even and level; unlike with regular projectors. For $300, you will not find an ALR screen of a decent size even if you build it yourself from "scratch", I believe, and you are likely going to want some flexibility in the screen in order to make sure it is completely flat. Painting on the wall seems like it would be a tall order to pull off getting good geometry.

I ended up going the cheap route with the AmazonBasics screen (price fluctuates a few bucks for that one now and then but it's significantly less than $300) while I'm saving up to get an ALR screen down the road. The good thing about it is that with some velcro and padding I managed to get it to be completely flat on my my wall (brick - so it is extremely uneven, natch), because it has a slightly flexible metal frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 2046 Old 02-11-2020, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I get a message on-screen "Updating AMP information..." sometimes (while playing movies, maybe also otherwise but I don't look at the screen much on those time ), it pops up and disappears. When I played Netflix off of my 4K FireTV connected directly to the P1 it disabled the ARC somehow so the audio into the Onkyo receiver went mute (restarting the receiver brought it back). It's quite annoying. Anyone know what this is about and how I can stop it?
post #2043 of 2046 Old 02-11-2020, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micke S View Post
I get a message on-screen "Updating AMP information..." sometimes (while playing movies, maybe also otherwise but I don't look at the screen much on those time ), it pops up and disappears. When I played Netflix off of my 4K FireTV connected directly to the P1 it disabled the ARC somehow so the audio into the Onkyo receiver went mute (restarting the receiver brought it back). It's quite annoying. Anyone know what this is about and how I can stop it?
At this point, I wouldn't count on it. I believe there has only been two software updates so far. A day one out of the box firmware update and another that was "supposed" to fix some of the HDMI handshaking issues. I also still have exactly half of my screen totally wig out when messing with the settings, mostly when changing color temperature. This never happens if I'm not changing any settings.

I just checked and the last firmware/software update was on 11/06/2019 (Version C12). That isn't promising. Two updates in a month after it being out then nothing. Heck, someone from Optoma told me it was because I was using the HDMI cable that came IN the box... I had two other higher quality cables, didn't matter, same issues. I don't use ARC because my roughly 12 year old Pioneer receiving can't do ARC. I am kind of glad it doesn't. Yes, I'm limited to Dolby Digital and DTS but if I pair it with the soundbar right it sounds very good. Not near as good as three front speakers dialed in but I can tweak it everything so its close to being level. I'm currently debating a new center or a lower cabinet so I can mount the screen lower.

I knew there was an offset ratio, but depending on the unit, but 3/12 inches for a 100" screen. I think they took down the calculator they originally had. The measurement guide I have has 13 1/2 inches being the lowest for a 100"s and 17 being the highest. That can make a huge deal. I think 18 was the lowest for 120 but people were saying it was closer to 22/23"s.

The picture quality is amazing, especially HDR. The ALR screen technology in general is amazing. The soundbar is pretty good but not needed and drove up the price. They should of put a speaker input jack so you could at least use it as a center if you wanted.

The "smart" apps are limited to 480p so I don't eve use them but just the software/firmware to run the thing feels unfinished and I'm not holding my breath on another firmware update. I hope I am wrong. The other thing is I find myself constantly playing around with the picture settings. Some content just looks better with a different color temperature or the brightness and contract slightly adjusted. I hardly use anything but 2.4 gamma but Video does make it brighter but the picture looks a little more washed out.

Last edited by diggumsmax; 02-11-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2044 of 2046 Old 02-12-2020, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I`m really looking forward to the next firmware update to get rid of the hdmi handshake problems with Apple TV4K. I have to change the hdmi setting to 1.4 and back to 2.0 to get the correct colors and contrast when watching a DolbyVision/HDR movie. Thank god Michel Vachta found this workaround. Hope this gets fixed.

I also get the half screen flickering when adjusting picture settings. It only lasts a few seconds but is annoying nevertheless. Besides that i´m pretty happy with the overall picture performance. I calibrated two SDR settings (one for the most quiet fan noise in cinema mode and one for brightest picture in reference mode) and picture quality is great.
post #2045 of 2046 Old 02-14-2020, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I found a firmware C14 on the Optoma Taiwan website. It seems that it was issued on 14 Jan 2020. Not sure if it is typo or not. Does anyone try it?
post #2046 of 2046 Old 02-14-2020, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi guys, just wanted to share something I’ve created to raise the projector a few inches. I 3D printed four stands which can be screwed up and down. My screen is a few inches too high and I’m not allowed to lower it because of the holes in the wall. Until my designed lowboard arrives I’ll use these to raise the projector and to avoid using the trapeze settings.

PS: I don't know why the pics are upside down, tried to spin them but same results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23641C18-74DA-40CC-9A82-9845278702B4_1581701178223.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	2684828   Click image for larger version

Name:	2F8C214A-ED48-4E7E-AD05-86446E3660D1_1581701198440.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	2684830  
diggumsmax, DunMunro and Fedder like this.

Last edited by copperfield74; 02-14-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page