Optoma P1 4k Laser UST @ CES - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 951Likes

post #2161 of 2187 Old 03-23-2020, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiikz View Post
I don’t have any objectively measured metrics, but in my subjective experience it is not close. I don’t use any geometric corrections or pure motion.

I tried the same game (Modern Warfare) on two game systems: standard PS4 (1080p) and PS4 Pro (4k). Modern Warfare is the most responsive first person shooter I’ve ever played on a console. Standard PS4 was completely unplayable with massive lag. It was dizzying trying to time movement with the lag. In stark contrast, PS4 Pro exhibits more lag than my 4k TV, but *is* playable and was easily noticeable as having less lag than the standard setup.

One important note: I had to change the settings on the projector to get the PS4 to recognize that it was 4k HDR capable, along with using a high speed cable.
Wouldn't enabling HDR introduce more lag? What settings in particular did you have to set on the projector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2187 Old 03-24-2020, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by freejak13 View Post
Wouldn't enabling HDR introduce more lag? What settings in particular did you have to set on the projector?
I had to set the EDID setting (Display->HDMI Settings->EDID) for that input to 2.0
post #2163 of 2187 Old 03-26-2020, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 560
And another review:

https://audiovision.de/optoma-uhz-65ust-test/ (use google translate for language of choice).
kalle4242 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2164 of 2187 Old 03-28-2020, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcVault View Post
Thank you, seriously thank you for your kind assistance! - I will try and wrestle the setup in the next few days when i get time to see if this pans out *crosses fingers*
This is a great feature but I hate how you have to overshoot the screen so much to get it to work. You lose brightness but my biggest issue is now the P1 needs to be even lower in order to use it. I need to remount my GrandView ALR screen and replace the material (already have it, just need to put it on and level the screen) as it's not 100% level but when not using that feature, this is what I get..

When looking at the screen, the right side is roughly a quarter inch higher then the left side, which is why the light leaks on the right side. The black border seems to be JUST enough to cover this but you have to have it lined up perfect and there is no wiggle room for these. My last two PJ's had lens shift which spoiled me although I still don't know how I was that off level but user error. These things are hard to get lined up perfectly. a few millimeters makes a huge difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191202_184719.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	2702848  
post #2165 of 2187 Old 03-29-2020, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 64
So, I found something interesting in regards to image quality that folks who have had the P1 for awhile may be experiencing.

Turns out, even a medium amount of dust on the lens reduces contrast significantly.

I noticed over time that I was becoming less and less happy with the contrast provided by the P1. I thought I was going crazy, but I felt like it was somehow getting worse. I started noticing that whenever there were bright scenes, the black floor rose significantly, and dark areas had a bright halo around them, killing contrast. I also noticed some minor streak lines on my screen, which I thought my screen was developing waves.

Well, my wife and I, while quarantined, did a bunch of deep cleaning of our living room yesterday. I normally never touch a projector lens, but my wife didn't know that, and dusted the lens/projector without me looking. When we fired it up that night, I noticed a massive improvement to contrast and color accuracy and that those screen waves were gone. When I looked at the projector and saw it was super clean, I realized that dust must really be impacting UST projectors because the lens compartment essentially is a dust bin. Traditional long-throw projectors, being perpendicular to the ground, don't seem to exhibit this as the lens doesn't really accumulate that much dust. But USTs, on the floor, and essentially having a valley for the lens compartment, is a perfect storm for having dust affect image quality.

To dust the lens, my wife just used one of those static dust fluffy things.

tl;dr, dust your P1 occasionally.

My Home Theater
Screen: Viewsonic BCP 120
Projector: Optoma P1
Receiver: Yamaha RX-673
Speakers: DefTech 8060-ST, KEF T101 Surrounds, SVS PB1000

Last edited by Kev1000000; 03-29-2020 at 07:25 AM.
post #2166 of 2187 Old 03-29-2020, 12:22 PM

Yes, this thing is a dust magnet. Only downside to the P1 being black IMO. Compressed air and a camera lens cloth at least once a month. A HEPA air filter would help but they aren't cheap. Below is from the manual. I think a tiny bit of camera lense cleaning liquid would help but only if you use a very tiny amount.

Cleaning the Lens

- Before cleaning the lens, be sure to turn off the projector and unplug the power cord to allow it to

completely cool down.

- Use a compressed air tank to remove the dust.

- Use a special cloth for cleaning lens and gently wipe the lens. Do not touch the lens with your fingers.

- Do not use alkaline/acid detergents or volatile solvents such as alcohol for cleaning lens. If the lens is

damaged due to the cleaning process, it is not covered by the warranty.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #2167 of 2187 Old 03-29-2020, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quick Questions?

Hi guys,

I've skimmed over this thread but haven't be able to really get an answer to what I'm looking for. If this has been previously asked, please forgive me.

As a noob on my first dedicated home theater build, I'm finally in the home stretch. I'm down to the projector and screen purchase.

During my build, I decided to move my screen wall out about 1.5 ft to get a little more room to have my front speakers behind the screen. Everything GREAT up to that point.
Unfortunately I never remeasured the lens to screen distance. I no longer have my 12ft throw for my 120" screen. I'm down to 10.5ft. Really kinda sux, but I'll chalk it up to learning.

The projector I was looking at purchasing was a Sony 295es. Needless to say, the only way that will work now will be to put the screen back to the wall and have my speakers exposed in front of it.
I would really like to keep my screen to a 120" if possible and not have to scale down to 100" or so.

Sorry for the into, but on to the questions.

1. Will this projector (Optoma CinemaX P1 4K UST ) be a 'good' compromise if I were to purchase it? Picture wise?
2. Could it be ceiling mounted as well?

Thanks for any help!

Mike
post #2168 of 2187 Old 03-30-2020, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another review:

This review is well worth watching.

Last edited by DunMunro; 03-30-2020 at 03:11 PM.
post #2169 of 2187 Old 03-30-2020, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacque Jacque Shellacque View Post
Hi guys,

I've skimmed over this thread but haven't be able to really get an answer to what I'm looking for. If this has been previously asked, please forgive me.

As a noob on my first dedicated home theater build, I'm finally in the home stretch. I'm down to the projector and screen purchase.

During my build, I decided to move my screen wall out about 1.5 ft to get a little more room to have my front speakers behind the screen. Everything GREAT up to that point.
Unfortunately I never remeasured the lens to screen distance. I no longer have my 12ft throw for my 120" screen. I'm down to 10.5ft. Really kinda sux, but I'll chalk it up to learning.

The projector I was looking at purchasing was a Sony 295es. Needless to say, the only way that will work now will be to put the screen back to the wall and have my speakers exposed in front of it.
I would really like to keep my screen to a 120" if possible and not have to scale down to 100" or so.

Sorry for the into, but on to the questions.

1. Will this projector (Optoma CinemaX P1 4K UST ) be a 'good' compromise if I were to purchase it? Picture wise?
2. Could it be ceiling mounted as well?

Thanks for any help!

Mike
According to the manual there's no option for ceiling mounting.

Edit: The LG HU85LA can be ceiling mounted.

Last edited by DunMunro; 03-31-2020 at 01:30 PM.
post #2170 of 2187 Old 03-31-2020, 09:45 AM

Liked: 15
the vividstorm 110" floor rising screen arrived yesterday!!!!

Unfortunately, they did not include the wall mounting brackets in the box. I guess I was suppose to email them directly about needing that and they would have provided but I wasn't aware. I went ahead and ordered some shelving brackets off Amazon that should be able to support it.

The P1 looks great on it though. I don't have it set up perfect right now since the brackets don't show up until today. But for the time being have it rigged so the Optoma fills out most of the screen.

Hopefully will get the brackets in today and get the room set into it's final positions. The last piece of the room are black out blinds which have been ordered but due to covid19 are being delayed

I'll give more info once I have it all set and send some pictures, but for now I'm thoroughly impressed with this set up. Image is stunning even in full daylight with no blinds on the window. At night when it's dark out, the image really pops.
3sprit likes this.
post #2171 of 2187 Old 03-31-2020, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Been lurking for a bit now and took the plunge! I wanted to give an update regarding the Marsielle 4K "Ultra" 8ft cable - i cannot get the projector to recognize this cable with either EDID thus can confirm (for now) it does not upscale thus does not reduce input lag.
post #2172 of 2187 Old 03-31-2020, 06:28 PM

Wall brackets showed up and I was able to wall mount the vividstorm screen.

I'm using a 1x4 Kallax for a media stand for the P1 since it's low to the ground. I thought I had a great idea to mount the screen so it's flush with the Kallax, so when you raise the screen it looks like it's coming up from the Kallax (not exactly since the Kallax isn't long enough to fully hide the screen, but you get the idea).

Unfortunately, couldn't get the P1 to lien up with the 110" screen this way. It ended up making like 12" of the screen unusable. Had to take the mount down and go back to the drawing board. Ended up having to mount the screen about 4" above the Kallax. Now have maybe 1/2" of the bottom of the screen that the P1 doesn't fill. So I probably should have raised it slightly more, but overall I'm happy with it now. Took me about 2 hours to get to that point and the wife would kill me if I took it down and drill more holes in the wall, lol

Super happy with the purchase of both the projector and screen. Image is amazing. Would definitely recommend the combo for anyone looking, just know the set up is finicky and can be a struggle but with a little patience you'll be rewarded.
DunMunro and 3sprit like this.
post #2173 of 2187 Old 04-01-2020, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Has anyone got the entire screen focused? The top right corner is blurry if the rest of the corners are focused. If i get the too right corner focused, then the rest goes blurry. Ive tried moving the projector multiple times, but that doesn't help. Contacted optoma and they said it was defective and to start an RMA. Just wondering if you guys have had this issue.
post #2174 of 2187 Old 04-01-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legnaz View Post
Has anyone got the entire screen focused? The top right corner is blurry if the rest of the corners are focused. If i get the too right corner focused, then the rest goes blurry. Ive tried moving the projector multiple times, but that doesn't help. Contacted optoma and they said it was defective and to start an RMA. Just wondering if you guys have had this issue.
Make sure your wall is flat and screen is secured. i initially had some issues when I didn’t have the bottom of the screen secured - based on the way the screen hung from the upper brackets the bottom splayed out a bit, affecting focus until i secured all 4 corners.
post #2175 of 2187 Old 04-01-2020, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post

there’s not a formal option, but i believe some models will flip the image if you do mount it yourself. it’s strongly “not recommended” for sure.

also: ceiling mounting will essentially make it impossible to use ceiling rejecting light screens like the Elite, which REALLY help this work as a TV replacement. the whole principle behind that technology exploits the fact that the projector light source is coming from the opposite direction from other room lights; if you put the pj on the ceiling then those screens don’t work.
post #2176 of 2187 Old 04-01-2020, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiikz View Post
there’s not a formal option, but i believe some models will flip the image if you do mount it yourself. it’s strongly “not recommended” for sure.

also: ceiling mounting will essentially make it impossible to use ceiling rejecting light screens like the Elite, which REALLY help this work as a TV replacement. the whole principle behind that technology exploits the fact that the projector light source is coming from the opposite direction from other room lights; if you put the pj on the ceiling then those screens don’t work.
Thanks for the insight.

After speaking with my local source, they spoke to those points as well. My goal was also to keep the equipment behind the screen wall.
Looks like the UST screens are not available acoustically transparent as well.
All in all, I just caved and will mount a 110" screen on the back wall and have the speakers out in front.
Although they have a piano black finish, I liked how clean everything looked with it all hidden. We'll see.
Not too much demo to do to get to that point.

Picked up a VW295es at a great price and a 110" 4K Reference Nanoedge screen. They will calibrate together and ship out to me. Hoping to see it sometime in the next week or so.

Thanks again for the help.

Mike
post #2177 of 2187 Old 04-01-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunMunro View Post

There is an option in settings but optoma has said this was designed for tabletop. You could always hang the alr screen upside down but then you wouldn't be able have any overhead lights. The washout would be crazy due to how these screens work as others have already stated. A regular screen will probably bounces light straight down. I know my white ceiling looked like a strobe light on my Stewart Firehawk (no alr) compared to my Grandview dynamique alr screen.

Optoma does not recommend and as others have said it defeats the whole purpose.

A fresnel based screen might work but they are hard screens which makes them heavy and expensive to ship and are not cheap. The viewing angles are also limited when compared to lectengulare based screens and they have a noticeable glare but they do reject ambient light from all angles better. The XY Fresnel is actually priced very well but have fun finding someone that will ship just a single screen that can't be rolled up in any way.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
DunMunro likes this.

Last edited by diggumsmax; 04-01-2020 at 07:36 PM.
post #2178 of 2187 Old 04-02-2020, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've encountered a lot of issues with my P1. Sometimes the tint shifts. It's reproducible. If I go back and view a scene again the shift happens in the same place. I don't think it's the content because it happens with a lot of content but not all content. It happens whether I view the same content on my Apple TV 4K or my Firestick 4K. There are no additional cables, they are plugged into HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. I'm thinking that it happens more when viewing BBC show via Amazon but I can't say for sure. But some other weird things happen. On a few shows I was getting random flashes. Some seemed like flash frames and others looked blotchy (not pixelated). In the middle of one show half the screen was brighter than the other half. My Wifi signal is strong and I get about 275 Mbps. I've reset the projector to factory defaults several time. It should play well right out of the box. Does anyone have any ideas of what might be going on? Is anyone else having the same problems.

Thanks,

Bryan
post #2179 of 2187 Old 04-02-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey100 View Post
I've encountered a lot of issues with my P1. Sometimes the tint shifts. It's reproducible. If I go back and view a scene again the shift happens in the same place. I don't think it's the content because it happens with a lot of content but not all content. It happens whether I view the same content on my Apple TV 4K or my Firestick 4K. There are no additional cables, they are plugged into HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. I'm thinking that it happens more when viewing BBC show via Amazon but I can't say for sure. But some other weird things happen. On a few shows I was getting random flashes. Some seemed like flash frames and others looked blotchy (not pixelated). In the middle of one show half the screen was brighter than the other half. My Wifi signal is strong and I get about 275 Mbps. I've reset the projector to factory defaults several time. It should play well right out of the box. Does anyone have any ideas of what might be going on? Is anyone else having the same problems.

Thanks,

Bryan
Do you have Dynamic Blacks on? That seems to cause some tint shifting when scenes darken and such. Try setting to 100% and see if that helps.
Mikkle likes this.
post #2180 of 2187 Old 04-02-2020, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hello,

I'm looking to probably buy the P1 later this year. If (and this is a big if) everything comes out alright on the otherside of the Corona stuff I should be in a good position to do this sometime in Q3. I had a couple of questions for those that are current owners.

1. Is there already a next gen version of this projector out. I've seen stuff about an Optoma Prox (IIRC) which looks exactly the same, but with a higher lumen count. Is this right, is it available, what does it cost, and is it worth it over the P1?

2. This would be going where the TV currently is in the attached picture. For reference that is a 65" TV. Would this be a good place for it?

3. Does anyone use this as their primary TV? This would be mine (outside of the bedroom).

4. The room has blackout blinds, but does have a normal amount of ambient light. Would this be acceptable?

5. What is the best price you've seen for this? I saw it at amazon earlier this week for under 3500 and almost pulled the trigger, but it went back up? I figure at 3500 with a screen total out of pocket would be about 5k.

6. Has anybody tried the 3d? If so from what sources? Other projectors I have let you specify that a file you're playing is SBS and it works beautifully.

7. Can you use an IR remote with this? I believe the included one is bluetooth. I use MX programmed remotes throughout the house and it would suck if I had to go back to multiple remotes.

8. Do you regret buying it? If so, why?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200403_005528.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	512.0 KB
ID:	2705040  

Panasonic e80HS, Benq 6100, Infocus X1, LG upscaling DVD/HDTV receiver
post #2181 of 2187 Old 04-03-2020, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I can try and answer some of your questions:

1: Don´t know about a new version, but the P1 is just 5 months old i guess, so the next generation could/should be due this fall/winter. Only difference is the international version P1 has 3.000 lumens and the european version UHZ65UST (which i own) has 3.500 lumens.

2: The place in your living room looks perfect for this kind of pj since you have no special low- or sideboard which could be too high or unfitting.

3: For us the pj replaced a 55 inch LG OLED. Don´t regret it one day. The 100 inch picture is great and gaming on an Xbox One X is perfect. An Apple TV4k for movie and tv show streaming and a Technisat cable receiver for TV are hooked to a Denon AV and connected to the pj, too.

4: Direct sunlight kills the picture. A bit of ambient light on a cloudy day for example are no problem. The darker the better of course.

5: I paid in euros so the prize will be different.

6: Didn't try 3d for now, sorry.

7: I don't use any special remote. Just the hdmi cec setting which turns the pj on and off and switches to the correct hdmi port.

8: As i said, i didn't regret it one day. Just make sure to not expect OLED blacks. But you will love the size of the picture when you feed it quality content.

Cheers!
post #2182 of 2187 Old 04-03-2020, 08:14 AM
g4s

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbok View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to probably buy the P1 later this year. If (and this is a big if) everything comes out alright on the otherside of the Corona stuff I should be in a good position to do this sometime in Q3. I had a couple of questions for those that are current owners.

1. Is there already a next gen version of this projector out. I've seen stuff about an Optoma Prox (IIRC) which looks exactly the same, but with a higher lumen count. Is this right, is it available, what does it cost, and is it worth it over the P1?

2. This would be going where the TV currently is in the attached picture. For reference that is a 65" TV. Would this be a good place for it?

3. Does anyone use this as their primary TV? This would be mine (outside of the bedroom).

4. The room has blackout blinds, but does have a normal amount of ambient light. Would this be acceptable?

5. What is the best price you've seen for this? I saw it at amazon earlier this week for under 3500 and almost pulled the trigger, but it went back up? I figure at 3500 with a screen total out of pocket would be about 5k.

6. Has anybody tried the 3d? If so from what sources? Other projectors I have let you specify that a file you're playing is SBS and it works beautifully.

7. Can you use an IR remote with this? I believe the included one is bluetooth. I use MX programmed remotes throughout the house and it would suck if I had to go back to multiple remotes.

8. Do you regret buying it? If so, why?

Thanks!
We love ours. It's our main TV. 1800 hours in 6 months.

I'd recommend getting an ALR screen for sure. We got an XY PET Crystal 120" Our floor is light color wood, so direct sunlight reflecting up from the floor does wash the picture out a bit. Closing one set of blinds fixes that. Usually not necessary though. Just looks like a giant flat panel.

Haven't tried 3D.

The remote is both IR or Bluetooth.

IMO it really needs to be mounted low. I made a low platform for the P1 and center channel.

The room is much brighter than the picture makes it look.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	G4S_4615.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	2705136   Click image for larger version

Name:	G4S_4451.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	2705138  
Casey_Bryson likes this.
post #2183 of 2187 Old 04-03-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post
We love ours. It's our main TV. 1800 hours in 6 months.

I'd recommend getting an ALR screen for sure. We got an XY PET Crystal 120" Our floor is light color wood, so direct sunlight reflecting up from the floor does wash the picture out a bit. Closing one set of blinds fixes that. Usually not necessary though. Just looks like a giant flat panel.

Haven't tried 3D.

The remote is both IR or Bluetooth.

IMO it really needs to be mounted low. I made a low platform for the P1 and center channel.

The room is much brighter than the picture makes it look.

I know it is somewhere in this thread, but do you know the distance from the bottom of the projector to the bottom of the image?

post #2184 of 2187 Old 04-03-2020, 01:10 PM
g4s

Quote:
I know it is somewhere in this thread, but do you know the distance from the bottom of the projector to the bottom of the image?
For my 120" screen it's 19 1/2" from the bottom of the projector to the bottom of the image. Of course smaller size screens will be less. Also there are differences from one P1 to the next. Up to a few inches if I remember right. The projector really needs to be set up before mounting the screen.
post #2185 of 2187 Old 04-03-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:

That would put the bottom of the screen about where the bottom of my TV is currently. I wonder if that will be too high? Got months until I have to worry about it so I can plan it out. Wife goes out of town, projector goes in. See if she notices.

//I replaced a 55" with a 65" and she didn't notice.

post #2186 of 2187 Old 04-03-2020, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest787 View Post
Do you have Dynamic Blacks on? That seems to cause some tint shifting when scenes darken and such. Try setting to 100% and see if that helps.
This is correct. I see the same ting shifting problem using Dynamic Black, regardless of the source. Setting it to Power 100% resolves the issue.
post #2187 of 2187 Old 04-03-2020, 02:57 PM
g4s

Quote:
That would put the bottom of the screen about where the bottom of my TV is currently. I wonder if that will be too high? Got months until I have to worry about it so I can plan it out. Wife goes out of town, projector goes in. See if she notices.

//I replaced a 55" with a 65" and she didn't notice.
That would be too high for me. To give you an idea, a 100" 16:9 screen is 49" tall. A 120" is 59" tall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page