Optoma P1 4k Laser UST @ CES - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1086Likes

post #2431 of 2572 Old 06-29-2020, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
P1 FW update?

I've got a questions form the Optoma Guy...

I was having a number of issues with my P1:
The tint would shift back and forth
There were flashes of images that looked a little solarized with green patches
The audio would get very loud when theme music was playing

I had sent it in for repair and I got a message back that a part was replaced. Now I'm wondering if the FW update would have addressed those issues.

When I got the unit back I didn't mess with the settings. Streamed videos looked better, the contrast was better and the color seemed better. After a couple weeks I decided to look at the settings, the color was set to gaming. I'm surprised that movies and TV shows didn't look over saturated. I think I have a pretty good eye, I design TV commercials, overseeing the color correction is part of the whole process.

I still have some flashes of posterized frames. I think they only happen when watching a British show. I stream them from Amazon and Netflix, both from their U.S. service and I'm in the U.S.. When I start them I usually see a message that says adjusting frame rate. Is that the problem?

Thanks,

Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2572 Old 06-29-2020, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by USTGuy View Post
I have owned the Vava for 1 week and just recently ordered and received this Optoma so that I can out them both to the test.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does or does not this Optoma display 4K HDR in BT2020? I'm confused from reading previous posts.
So what are you noticing between both UST? Do you have a preference or are black levels better on Vava like some reviews state?

Thanks,
post #2433 of 2572 Old 06-29-2020, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPTOMA PM DUDE View Post
Any questions -- please let me know.
Hi Optoma PM Dude - I'm having troubles getting Atmos (via Dolby Digital Plus) through ARC. I can't get my Apple TV 4K or Xbox One X to output Atmos (both say that the receiver does not support it). I'm "up-to-date" on C12 on the USA model.

The specs PDF mentions that the P1 supports Atmos over HDMI ARC, but I'm not able to.

Sonos Arc Playbar -> HDMI 1 (ARC)
Apple TV 4K -> HDMI 2
Xbox One X -> HDMI 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2434 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've got the european version UHZ65UST since November 2019. Everything seems to be fine so far, but since some weeks the Optoma isn't switching to HDR even there is a 4k movie playing at Netflix or something. The HDR can't be selected, it's greyed out.
Does anybody got the same issue?
HDMI cable and all other possibilities were checked. The player is an Amazon FireTV 4K.
post #2435 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 03:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalfc89 View Post
So what are you noticing between both UST? Do you have a preference or are black levels better on Vava like some reviews state?

Thanks,
I'm setting up the Optoma today. Since I only have 1 shelf + 1 screen I can't really do side by side comparisons but I have a pretty good eye for this stuff. My main concern is what I'm reading about this pj not being able to play 4K HDR in BT2020. I've witnessed firsthand what forcing rec 709 on 4K HDR content looks like and the banding is horrible. Is this projector in fact playing hdr in rec709?

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk
post #2436 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadtill View Post
Hi Optoma PM Dude - I'm having troubles getting Atmos (via Dolby Digital Plus) through ARC. I can't get my Apple TV 4K or Xbox One X to output Atmos (both say that the receiver does not support it). I'm "up-to-date" on C12 on the USA model.

The specs PDF mentions that the P1 supports Atmos over HDMI ARC, but I'm not able to.

Apple TV 4K -> HDMI 2
Xbox One X -> HDMI 3
I have the same setup (minus the Xbox). Haven’t been able to get Atmos through to the SONOS Arc either. I’m also curious if you have experienced audio lag out to the Arc? It’s not extreme - still less than a second - but it’s noticeable. I switched to using the optical adapter and the lag is much better, if not gone altogether. But the downside is I’m really limiting my audio possibilities. Even adjusting the Digital Audio Delay setting to the max (-50) was not enough to fix it when using the HDMI port. Are you seeing this lag as well?
post #2437 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm setting up the Optoma today. Since I only have 1 shelf + 1 screen I can't really do side by side comparisons but I have a pretty good eye for this stuff. My main concern is what I'm reading about this pj not being able to play 4K HDR in BT2020. I've witnessed firsthand what forcing rec 709 on 4K HDR content looks like and the banding is horrible. Is this projector in fact playing hdr in rec709?

This looks like it’s supposed to be fix in the next update.
post #2438 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 06:26 AM

Quote:
This looks like it’s supposed to be fix in the next update.
So what you are saying is that as of right now I shouldn't even bother trying to watch 4K HDR content? It seems absurd that a over $3000 display would have this issue whereas the $2700 Vava properly displays 4K HDR with accurate tone mapping. I'm confused.

post #2439 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
So what you are saying is that as of right now I shouldn't even bother trying to watch 4K HDR content? It seems absurd that a over $3000 display would have this issue whereas the $2700 Vava properly displays 4K HDR with accurate tone mapping. I'm confused.

Yap. Seriously that’s false advertising by Optoma on its website.
The website was so nicely done, but not on the actual hardware.
I’m really running out of patience.
It’s not a cheap projector....

Display=Optoma P1 + 100” ALR XY screen/ AVR=Deon X1300W
HTPC i3220/ GPU=GTX1650
Front speakers=KEF R3/ Centre speaker=KEF Q95, Rear surround=KEF 60s
post #2440 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Hello, we can only support user generated content. Casting directly from apps and screen mirroring content directly from video streaming providers is not supported (due to DRM). Netflix and Google are not willing to assist as we do not have the volume of the TV guys.

As for the dark image with HDR -- resolved in the upcoming build. Adjust dynamic black to resolve was a workaround and shouldn't be necessary with the new FW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurovtec View Post
Quote:
Asia moved forward with C14 without some of the fixes. TapCast is for casting and screen mirror. If you are attempting to cast or screen mirror with 4K video, I strongly suggest using 5Ghz Wi-Fi or Ethernet. Keep in mind that some high bitrate video and 4K60 (video) may provide problematic on WiFi (5Ghz).

What type of video?
Hi Optoma Dude, I was just mirroring thru Netflix app.
I also try using VLC(video player app) on iOS and play Anime One punch man, regular Mkv video file around 1gig plus stored in ipad.
Both methods will show loading in progress for a Long time.
I don’️t think i will use the Tapcast since I’️m using a HTPC to the P1.
So all is good except the HDR videos becomes dim after while & switching of brightness options(dynamic black1 to brightness 100% to Dynamic black1) & video contrast/brightness will be so awesome but turn dim after a while. Not sure do they belong to the same issue.

Really appreciate your effort on making sure that quality is upheld at Optoma.
It would be great that the new firmware resolves the HDR & dynamic black issue & the respective concerns highlighted by fellow users.
Thanks!
nonametofame and eurovtec like this.
post #2441 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 07:40 AM

Hi Bryan, if the RMA resolved the issue, then definitely bad hardware. Many issues can be hardware related yet some bugs can exhibit the same symptom.

Yes, the flashing issue has been improved. As for the adjusting frame rate, I assume this is from the player. What is the source device? Any adjustment to the signal by the source would result in a flash or resync. Can you send a video link of the issue to me? I would like to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey100 View Post
I've got a questions form the Optoma Guy...

I was having a number of issues with my P1:
The tint would shift back and forth
There were flashes of images that looked a little solarized with green patches
The audio would get very loud when theme music was playing

I had sent it in for repair and I got a message back that a part was replaced. Now I'm wondering if the FW update would have addressed those issues.

When I got the unit back I didn't mess with the settings. Streamed videos looked better, the contrast was better and the color seemed better. After a couple weeks I decided to look at the settings, the color was set to gaming. I'm surprised that movies and TV shows didn't look over saturated. I think I have a pretty good eye, I design TV commercials, overseeing the color correction is part of the whole process.

I still have some flashes of posterized frames. I think they only happen when watching a British show. I stream them from Amazon and Netflix, both from their U.S. service and I'm in the U.S.. When I start them I usually see a message that says adjusting frame rate. Is that the problem?

Thanks,

Bryan
post #2442 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Yap. Seriously that’s false advertising by Optoma on its website.

The website was so nicely done, but not on the actual hardware.

I’m really running out of patience.

It’s not a cheap projector....
I'm surprised that none of the online reviews noticed this not so small issue.
Come on Optoma

post #2443 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 07:45 AM

Actually, this is not true. With some sources the projector would fall HDR BT.709 and not BT.2020. Again, with some sources. From our very first Projectors (4K) UHD60 and UHD65 -- we always use "REC.2020 tone mapping" for ALL 4K HDR signals.

With that said, as mentioned in my update post, this issue has been RESOLVED. I personally tested and verified myself. 🙂

Quote:
Quote:

This looks like it’️s supposed to be fix in the next update.
eurovtec likes this.

Last edited by OPTOMA PM DUDE; 06-30-2020 at 08:20 AM.
post #2444 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Hello, we can only support user generated content. Casting directly from apps and screen mirroring content directly from video streaming providers is not supported (due to DRM). Netflix and Google are not willing to assist as we do not have the volume of the TV guys.

As for the dark image with HDR -- resolved in the upcoming build. Adjust dynamic black to resolve was a workaround and shouldn't be necessary with the new FW.
Hi Optoma Dude, I’m not concern with the performance of tapcast/mirroring app.
The main purpose of the 4kUHD HDR projector is meant to play all 4k UHD HDR content thrown at it.
I’m not sure by comparing the company size of Optoma vs VaVa, which of them have more resources.
The company with the most resources should be able to do better.
I really appreciate your help on helping the P1 owners all these while.
But i just feel that Optoma is a very reputable projector manufacturer, and things are just moving very slowly and not proactive enough to do stringent tests to verify the unit is robust.

Display=Optoma P1 + 100” ALR XY screen/ AVR=Deon X1300W
HTPC i3220/ GPU=GTX1650
Front speakers=KEF R3/ Centre speaker=KEF Q95, Rear surround=KEF 60s

Last edited by eurovtec; 06-30-2020 at 07:51 AM.
post #2445 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 07:47 AM

In addition -- one of the reasons for the delay -- that I tasked R&D with improving the signal OSD information (timings). 🙂

Quote:
Actually, this is not true. With some sources the projector would fall HDR BT.709 and not BT.2020. Again, with some sources. From our very first Projectors (4K) UHD60 and UHD65 -- we always use "REC.2020 tone mapping" for ALL 4K HDR signals.

With that said, as mentioned in my update post, this issue has been RESOLVED. I personally check test and verify myself. 🙂

Quote:
Quote:

eurovtec likes this.
post #2446 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hi Bryan, if the RMA resolved the issue, then definitely bad hardware. Many issues can be hardware related yet some bugs can exhibit the same symptom.

Yes, the flashing issue has been improved. As for the adjusting frame rate, I assume this is from the player. What is the source device? Any adjustment to the signal by the source would result in a flash or resync. Can you send a video link of the issue to me? I would like to check it out.
I'll reply in a private message with a link to my DropBox.
post #2447 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 07:55 AM

As I just mentioned in a post, the projector falling to HDR BT.709 has been resolved in upcoming build -- only occured with some sources and content.

As for the VAVA -- even with our big, the projector cannot compete with P1. Back in January I conducted a shootout. The VAVA does not properly decode HDR Metadata. It is quite insulting that the product is even on the market. The list of shortcomings is staggering.

Here are a few images of the shootout with BOTH projectors at default setting along with a link my Google Drive with more. Happy to do the Pepsi Challenge all day long. 🙂

Movie is Gemini Man 4K HDR 60FPS.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...TuyZ6fcOSEbXN_

Quote:
Quote:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3-1_1593528901161.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	2751158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide5-1_1593528916316.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	2751160  
post #2448 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 08:18 AM

As I mentioned in a previous post, the plan was for frequent FW updates but Covid-19 through a wrench into those plans. We have some R&D in Wuhan and many of our component partners also have resources in the region. Some of them we hit hard by Covid-19. Sadly, Covid-19 impact is still being felt. We have had to balance catching up with while waiting on some partners to resolve issue -- and working on upcoming products. As you are aware, business is down for everyone in the world. To ensure we don't have to reduce headcount or resources -- we must balanced the update of existing product updates with R&D on new products. The situation is not ideal but everyone is committed. Here in the US, I live in SF and the office is in Fremont -- we are still in Shelter in Place and all reopenings (all Bay Area Counties) has been paused. Most of us (including myself) -- still working from home. I have several products in my living room and kitchen as I work on issues, debug and testing. As the Product Manager for P1 (US) -- I am huge fan of constant updates therefore I had not been thrilled with the current situation yet the situation is not anyone's fault.

I appreciate everyone being patient. 🙂

Quote:
Quote:

Hi Optoma Dude, I’️m not concern with the performance of tapcast/mirroring app.
The main purpose of the 4kUHD HDR projector is meant to play all 4k UHD HDR content thrown at it.
I’️m not sure by comparing the company size of Optoma vs VaVa, which of them have more resources.
The company with the most resources should be able to do better.
I really appreciate your help on helping the P1 owners all these while.
But i just feel that Optoma is a very reputable projector manufacturer, and things are just moving very slowly and not proactive enough to do stringent tests to verify the unit is robust.
eurovtec and asd210111 like this.
post #2449 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 08:28 AM

Hello -- let's recap. The AVR supports ATMOS or ATMOS Pass Through? Or it does not?

What do you mean by "via DDPlus" ? Xbox One X and Apple TV 4K support ATMOS and should work as expected.

ARC is only supported on HDMI 1. P1 supports Dolby ATMOS Pass Through only. Are using HDMI port 1?

Quote:
Quote:
Any questions -- please let me know.

Apple TV 4K -> HDMI 2
Xbox One X -> HDMI 3
post #2450 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Hello -- let's recap. The AVR supports ATMOS or ATMOS Pass Through? Or it does not?
Yep, the AVR is a Sonos Arc and it supports Atmos over HDMI Arc. Summary from manufacturer: support.sonos.com/s/article/4844?language=en_US

Quote:
What do you mean by "via DDPlus" ? Xbox One X and Apple TV 4K support ATMOS and should work as expected.
From what I understand, Atmos can be over Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD. Dolby TrueHD is only supported over HDMI eARC (which from what I read, the projector doesn't support).

Quote:
ARC is only supported on HDMI 1. P1 supports Dolby ATMOS Pass Through only. Are using HDMI port 1?
Yep, the Sonos Arc AVR is connected to the projector HDMI 1. The connections look like:
- HDMI 1: Sonos Arc (AVR)
- HDMI 2: Apple TV
- HDMI 3: Xbox One X

Is there a way to output logs from the projector that can help troubleshoot?
post #2451 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttjj View Post
I have the same setup (minus the Xbox). Haven’t been able to get Atmos through to the SONOS Arc either. I’m also curious if you have experienced audio lag out to the Arc? It’s not extreme - still less than a second - but it’s noticeable. I switched to using the optical adapter and the lag is much better, if not gone altogether. But the downside is I’m really limiting my audio possibilities. Even adjusting the Digital Audio Delay setting to the max (-50) was not enough to fix it when using the HDMI port. Are you seeing this lag as well?
I noticed a slight lag, but it's not that bad for me.
post #2452 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Yep, the AVR is a Sonos Arc and it supports Atmos over HDMI Arc. Summary from manufacturer: support.sonos.com/s/article/4844?language=en_US

From what I understand, Atmos can be over Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD. Dolby TrueHD is only supported over HDMI eARC (which from what I read, the projector doesn't support).

Yep, the Sonos Arc AVR is connected to the projector HDMI 1. The connections look like:
- HDMI 1: Sonos Arc (AVR)
- HDMI 2: Apple TV
- HDMI 3: Xbox One X

Is there a way to output logs from the projector that can help troubleshoot?
I have the same setup (again, minus the Xbox). Would love to help troubleshoot as well if I can. This has been a major pain point for me.
post #2453 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 01:21 PM

Just setting this up and having issues with 3D mode. If I play 3D files ftom USB the projector doesn't seem to have a 3D switch control and when I try to play 3D on bluray disc I just get a black screen. Here is a screenshot of the 3D options I get all greyed out in the main menu and also a shot of a 3D bluray while playing

post #2454 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
As for the VAVA -- even with our big, the projector cannot compete with P1. Back in January I conducted a shootout. The VAVA does not properly decode HDR Metadata. It is quite insulting that the product is even on the market. The list of shortcomings is staggering.

Here are a few images of the shootout with BOTH projectors at default setting along with a link my Google Drive with more. Happy to do the Pepsi Challenge all day long. 🙂

Movie is Gemini Man 4K HDR 60FPS.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...TuyZ6fcOSEbXN_
PM Dude, I think you owe Vava an apology. I spent thirty years in sales for a large computer vendor. If I ever disparaged a competitors product to a prospect or customer like you did and it was heard by my management I would have been fired on the spot.

Jack
post #2455 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
PM Dude, I think you owe Vava an apology. I spent thirty years in sales for a large computer vendor. If I ever disparaged a competitors product to a prospect or customer like you did and it was heard by my management I would have been fired on the spot.
A lot has improved with Vava since January. I own both projectors.

post #2456 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 02:19 PM

The Optoma P1 overall is a good projector overall from the 4-5 hours I spent on it so far. Audio pass-through is definitely better than on the Vava (more on that later).
My biggest gripe right now is not being able to figure out how to use 3D via USB files and via bluray

post #2457 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
The Optoma P1 overall is a good projector overall from the 4-5 hours I spent on it so far. Audio pass-through is definitely better than on the Vava (more on that later).
My biggest gripe right now is not being able to figure out how to use 3D via USB files and via bluray

There are two important things to watching 3D
1. no HDR content

2. no 4K

Depending what kind of receiver you're using it upscales the signals to 4K which means that 3D can't be activated. Check if this may be the case. As soon you disable upscaling it will work.
post #2458 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperfield74 View Post
There are two important things to watching 3D
1. no HDR content

2. no 4K

Depending what kind of receiver you're using it upscales the signals to 4K which means that 3D can't be activated. Check if this may be the case. As soon you disable upscaling it will work.
Receiver is in pass-through mode. No upscaling. I thought there would be a 3D button like on Vava or even on most 3D TVs that will trigger the picture to switch manually to 3D mode.
Also is there no CEC on this either?

Last edited by USTGuy; 06-30-2020 at 02:45 PM.
post #2459 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Receiver is in pass-through mode. No upscaling. I thought there would be a 3D button like on Vava or even on most 3D TVs that will trigger the picture to switch manually to 3D mode.
Also is there no CEC on this either?

Just to say my experience with 3d, I tried to view 3d in Kodi and I have to manually change Kodi resulotion to 1080P in order for 3D to work, so
it has to be 1080p signals sending to projector for 3d to work like the other one stated. Playing 3D bluray disks using Xbox one X and PS4 pro works on my side.
And No there is no 3D button, which I really want to see on this projector.
eurovtec likes this.
post #2460 of 2572 Old 06-30-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asd210111 View Post
Just to say my experience with 3d, I tried to view 3d in Kodi and I have to manually change Kodi resulotion to 1080P in order for 3D to work, so

it has to be 1080p signals sending to projector for 3d to work like the other one stated. Playing 3D bluray disks using Xbox one X and PS4 pro works on my side.

And No there is no 3D button, which I really want to see on this projector.
But even by changing resolution to 1080p, how do we trigger the display to merge the two images together?
Do you keep projector in DLP link mode or in 3D sync mode?
Also, do you have 3D Sync Invert on or off?

Last edited by USTGuy; 06-30-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page