Vava 4K UST pj announced - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #31 of 65 Old 04-23-2019, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adinor View Post
What is this VIP account and how can I get one?
I googled around for it and found it here: https://tomsfinds.com/vava/

Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 Old 04-24-2019, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thank you for the link. Does anyone have any experience with tomsfinds website? I am always curious when it comes to submitting payment info on unknown sites.
post #33 of 65 Old 04-30-2019, 07:38 AM

This projector officially launched on Indiegogo today:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/v...aser-projector

Expected to ship in June/July 2019. Might want to wait for reviews, although there's preferential pricing for the first 50 units sold and the campaign page says "You may request a full refund from Indiegogo until the campaign ends on May 30, 2019."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 65 Old 04-30-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 57
great price to first 50 users, but it will be at that price anyway or lower by year end.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #35 of 65 Old 05-01-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Lots of reviews released today on the Vava (google search). Some of them more detailed than others. IGN claiming a 102ms input lag, which is a bit on the lower end for FPS or gaming to be honest. Hope the LG, Optoma or Xiaomi can counter that a bit!
post #36 of 65 Old 05-01-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdoom2k View Post
Lots of reviews released today on the Vava (google search). Some of them more detailed than others. IGN claiming a 102ms input lag, which is a bit on the lower end for FPS or gaming to be honest. Hope the LG, Optoma or Xiaomi can counter that a bit!
Vava is rebranded Xiaomi, so what do you expect? As far as LG/Optoma they are most likely will be higher priced, but there is still some hope...
drdoom2k likes this.

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #37 of 65 Old 05-02-2019, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I bit the bullet and signed up as an early bird backer yesterday. They have 33 out of 50 claimed by now. But they list 46 backers total, so I don't know how the other 13 backers are different than the 33. The total price raised is consistent with the early bird price times 46, however.

I do realize that the price will probably drop by next year, but I'm moving into a new house and I'm in the market for a new TV soon so this is good timing for me to jump in. At least when the price drops in the future, I won't feel so bad that I got the discounted price NOW ahead of time.

As for whether this product is proven or not, it's already been proven through the Xiaomi release so if this is the next improved 4K version of it, then I'm optimistic that it'll continue to perform on the track record that the Xiaomi has established so far. I have a friend who owns a Xiaomi 1080p for 8 months so far and he's still quite happy with it.
Ricoflashback and drdoom2k like this.
post #38 of 65 Old 05-02-2019, 05:41 AM

Liked: 3
I'm not sure what the value proposition of this projector is. Not allowed to talk about pricing but save to say the OEM's model is already available... You wont get a warranty with either.
post #39 of 65 Old 05-02-2019, 05:58 AM

I'm a little confused by some conflicting information as well.

From the Campaign:

Quote:
"With HDR 10 support, the VAVA 4K Projector gives you full detail in highlights and shadows. Thanks to DCI-P3 and Rec.2020 color gamut coverage, you’ll also get deeper blacks, brighter whites, and more brilliant colors in your images - giving you a higher contrast, fuller saturation, and sharper image."
From several reviews:

Quote:
"In fact, the Vava falls significantly short of Rec. 2020, the color gamut spec used by most 4K HDR TVs, falling back on the much older Rec 709."
I'm not even really sure you can classify something as HDR if it is HDR in brightness only - which itself is likely to be well below any HDR standard.
post #40 of 65 Old 05-02-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked: 1223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
I bit the bullet and signed up as an early bird backer yesterday. They have 33 out of 50 claimed by now. But they list 46 backers total, so I don't know how the other 13 backers are different than the 33. The total price raised is consistent with the early bird price times 46, however.

I do realize that the price will probably drop by next year, but I'm moving into a new house and I'm in the market for a new TV soon so this is good timing for me to jump in. At least when the price drops in the future, I won't feel so bad that I got the discounted price NOW ahead of time.

As for whether this product is proven or not, it's already been proven through the Xiaomi release so if this is the next improved 4K version of it, then I'm optimistic that it'll continue to perform on the track record that the Xiaomi has established so far. I have a friend who owns a Xiaomi 1080p for 8 months so far and he's still quite happy with it.
***While this is the "Early Adopter" market for Laser 4K - UST Projectors, I personally think that there is a tidal wave forming. If (always a big if) other manufacturers jump aboard and start developing more quality UST Projectors at the right price point - - it will open up a whole new market for folks who've always wanted that "big theater" effect without the hassle of mounting a projector. And - if the focus is also on developing a solution for gamers - - it's game, set and match.

There will always home theater enthusiasts' who have the money, time and space for larger, dedicated theaters & seating, but for the average Joe - - a cost effective, UST 4K Laser Projector opens up a whole new world of options. I'm moderately enthused about HDR and less so about Dolby Vision. I've always enjoyed Dolby Atmos, even from DD+ (lossy-compressed) sources like Netflix streaming. Give me a sharp 100" - 150" projector picture and I'll be in heaven - - especially with the ease of setup of a UST.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #41 of 65 Old 05-02-2019, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thing that scares me about this projector is the warranty is only a year and they've stated they will not be making spare parts so after that one year you won't have any way to repair it potentially.
post #42 of 65 Old 05-02-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky_san View Post
Thing that scares me about this projector is the warranty is only a year and they've stated they will not be making spare parts so after that one year you won't have any way to repair it potentially.
Warranty only applies to country "you originally purchased your Vava projector" This likely means China seeing as backing on IGG is an import.
post #43 of 65 Old 05-02-2019, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega_Maniac View Post
Warranty only applies to country "you originally purchased your Vava projector" This likely means China seeing as backing on IGG is an import.
Yeah guess you have a point there as well. Seems better to wait for another one though I've been wanting to buy the dell one.
post #44 of 65 Old 05-02-2019, 01:28 PM

I backed the campaign to the tune of $2 so I could comment on the campaign. I questioned their use of HDR claims and "coverage of rec.2020"

They responded that it has 110% coverage of rec709 - 80% of DCI-P3. I cannot see how they can claim this is HDR, and the section of the campaign about Rec.2020 is clearly misleading and disingenuous.

The person who replied also seems blissfully unaware that the projector is based off of the Xiaomi MJJGTYDS01FM 4k UST projector. I brought up that Xiaomi was the OEM and they said "That unit supports 4K but its native resolution is actually 1080p."...
post #45 of 65 Old 05-02-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky_san View Post
Lol, we live in a scary world with one year warranties on mostly all gadgets and appliances.

post #46 of 65 Old 05-03-2019, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega_Maniac
I'm not sure what the value proposition of this projector is. Not allowed to talk about pricing but save to say the OEM's model is already available... You wont get a warranty with either. [...] Warranty only applies to country "you originally purchased your Vava projector" This likely means China seeing as backing on IGG is an import.
This is incorrect. The warranty applies to the country where you purchased the projector, not the country where it was originally manufactured. That would make no sense.

The Vava 4K is also a different projector than the existing Mijia 4K model. Although it does share parts, the Vava should be evaluated on its own merits.

There are legitimate reasons to be concerned about some of this projector's performance -- lack of DCI-P3 coverage, high input lag etc. No need to spread unsubstantiated FUD
post #47 of 65 Old 05-03-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkle View Post
This is incorrect. The warranty applies to the country where you purchased the projector, not the country where it was originally manufactured. That would make no sense.

The Vava 4K is also a different projector than the existing Mijia 4K model. Although it does share parts, the Vava should be evaluated on its own merits.

There are legitimate reasons to be concerned about some of this projector's performance -- lack of DCI-P3 coverage, high input lag etc. No need to spread unsubstantiated FUD
You think Vava will be providing native warranty support throughout the US, EU and Japan?

Exactly where do you get your faith? This is crowdfunding.
post #48 of 65 Old 05-03-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
You think Vava will be providing native warranty support throughout the US, EU and Japan?

Exactly where do you get your faith? This is crowdfunding.
Yes, they will replace defective units in the first year after purchase. It isn't complicated, or unconventional.

The company already sells other electronics products, and provides a warranty on those as well.
post #49 of 65 Old 05-03-2019, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 94

For people who want to see more tests on this projector.

Latency looks pretty good on this puppy.

Fronts: Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS2 Series II
Surrounds: 4x Polk Audio Monitor50 Series II
Sub: 2x Polk PSW505
Reciever: DENON AVR-X7200WA
TV: LG-65EC9600
post #50 of 65 Old 05-04-2019, 02:32 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I checked on the indiegogo website today and it looks like Vava had extended the super early bird special limit from 50 to 75. They're at 55 on this.
post #51 of 65 Old 05-04-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkle View Post
Yes, they will replace defective units in the first year after purchase. It isn't complicated, or unconventional.

The company already sells other electronics products, and provides a warranty on those as well.
Maybe you should read the comments on their other IGG campaigns to see how those warranties worked out for people.

Your blind faith in a company holds no more veracity than my skepticism. Stop acting like you are an authority on the company unless you can provide any kind of proof of legally binding warranty documentation.

Quote:
It isn't complicated, or unconventional.
Either you have never used IGG/KS before Or you are ignoring the fact that IGG 'warranties' are complex/have no basis in consumer law and providing them at all is absolutely unconventional.
post #52 of 65 Old 05-05-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oni222 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J151...vrniHq-iJ2Rpr8

For people who want to see more tests on this projector.

Latency looks pretty good on this puppy.
Quoted to be 102ms on the IGN review last week...another Youtube video actually popped up where a guy tries out some CoD mod and he simply says that it is not working for FPS. Is there a chance they might release some sort of 'Game' mode that turns down all post-processing and perhaps brings it down to say 60ms, 70ms? Has that ever happened in the UST community (Xiaomi?)
post #53 of 65 Old 05-05-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Quoted to be 102ms on the IGN review last week...another Youtube video actually popped up where a guy tries out some CoD mod and he simply says that it is not working for FPS. Is there a chance they might release some sort of 'Game' mode that turns down all post-processing and perhaps brings it down to say 60ms, 70ms? Has that ever happened in the UST community (Xiaomi?)
A quote from the Xiaomi thread:

Quote:
On another thread an engineer examined a technical data sheet from Texas Instruments and supported what I already had suspected, 40ms is the very minimum lag possible. If you add any image processing on top of that it only gets worse. Considering that most people looking for a UST are expecting all the functionality of a tv (frame interpolation, smart apps, presets etc) I don’t think we will ever see anything less than 65ms from a 4k DLP UST projector.
So "maybe" but don't get your hopes up. - The Dell S718QL which (I think, dont quote me) uses the same chip has managed to get it's input lag down to 97ms according to the PJ Central review.

The way to approach this is to realise you wont be using this PJ for FPS gaming, if you can play your FPS on your PC or on another TV in your house then thats your solution. If you can't and it's important to you then you have to wait for the Optoma/LG/Viewsonic to come out and cross your fingers. Or buy an overhead.
post #54 of 65 Old 05-05-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:

So "maybe" but don't get your hopes up. - The Dell S718QL which (I think, dont quote me) uses the same chip has managed to get it's input lag down to 97ms according to the PJ Central review.

The way to approach this is to realise you wont be using this PJ for FPS gaming, if you can play your FPS on your PC or on another TV in your house then thats your solution. If you can't and it's important to you then you have to wait for the Optoma/LG/Viewsonic to come out and cross your fingers. Or buy an overhead.
To be honest, thats exactly a thought that I have been working on over the last couple of days - living room will have a Xiaomi (or similar, lets see what comes around the next couple of months) AND I am actually currently hoping that there will be some sort of streaming solution coming from the Xbox One straight to the iPad...alternatively, I always had my eyes on a lovely gaming / work laptop that might do the trick!
post #55 of 65 Old 05-06-2019, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Quote:
To be honest, thats exactly a thought that I have been working on over the last couple of days - living room will have a Xiaomi (or similar, lets see what comes around the next couple of months) AND I am actually currently hoping that there will be some sort of streaming solution coming from the Xbox One straight to the iPad...alternatively, I always had my eyes on a lovely gaming / work laptop that might do the trick!
I have been gamer for 37 years and not a day goes by that I dont play at least 2-3 hours a day. When I first purchased the first gen Xiaomi UST projector that people said it was over 100ms I thought I would not use it for FPS but guess what. I use it all day and on console games I cannot tell the difference. Where you can tell the difference is on pc games because going from a G-Sync 144hz monitor to the projector but lets face it. If you play console games you will never hit anything over 60fps in fact over 95% of console games cannot maintain their 30fps target so wether I play on my OLED TV's or my Projector the experience is the same.

The reason I mention the Xiaomi projector is because this projector is using the same internals as the Xiaomi 4k version.
drdoom2k likes this.

Fronts: Polk Audio Monitor70 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS2 Series II
Surrounds: 4x Polk Audio Monitor50 Series II
Sub: 2x Polk PSW505
Reciever: DENON AVR-X7200WA
TV: LG-65EC9600
post #56 of 65 Old 05-10-2019, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

They are talking live about it here https://www.digitaltrends.com/live/

Edit: that was short and nothing new really aside from speculating on GoT ending. The guy did say they are just using Indiegogo to advertise the product because it's already in production.

I was pretty close to ordering one, but they are shipping it by end of July which is too late considering that other options might be out by then.
drdoom2k likes this.

Last edited by klas; 05-10-2019 at 10:28 AM.
post #57 of 65 Old 05-11-2019, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
i'm in a group for the indiegogo backers. They are consulting their engineers about a 'gaming mode' . ill let you know if anything interesting comes of it.
drdoom2k likes this.
post #58 of 65 Old 05-12-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzamongo View Post
i'm in a group for the indiegogo backers. They are consulting their engineers about a 'gaming mode' . ill let you know if anything interesting comes of it.
Now that would definitely put the Vava 4k on the list!
gazzamongo likes this.
post #59 of 65 Old 05-13-2019, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Craig Peer likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR807
Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12
Optoma HD80 on 106" Elite Aeon Cine grey, Samsung Q6FN (2018)
Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
post #60 of 65 Old 05-13-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post

That must be so awesome to watch James Harden and Chris Paul flopping and choking in glorious 120” 4k lol. Go Dubs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page