Vava 4K UST pj announced - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #61 of 88 Old 05-16-2019, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
Vava is rebranded Xiaomi, so what do you expect? As far as LG/Optoma they are most likely will be higher priced, but there is still some hope...
Vava is NOT a rebranded Xiaomi. They all use the same underlying technology but Xiaomi is not an OEM (original equipment manufacturer), they don't provide hardware for others to use. Appotronic supplies the ALPD 3.0 hardware for ALL projector manufacturers to use and each manufacturer implements the laser hardware as they see fit. So a lot of the specs will be similar but overall they all have minor differences provided by each manufacturer.

FYI

Onkyo TX-NR807
Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12
Optoma HD80 on 106" Elite Aeon Cine grey, Samsung Q6FN (2018)
Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 88 Old 05-16-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post
Vava is NOT a rebranded Xiaomi. They all use the same underlying technology but Xiaomi is not an OEM (original equipment manufacturer), they don't provide hardware for others to use. Appotronic supplies the ALPD 3.0 hardware for ALL projector manufacturers to use and each manufacturer implements the laser hardware as they see fit. So a lot of the specs will be similar but overall they all have minor differences provided by each manufacturer.

FYI
yeah, you are right about that, but Xiaomi was the first one to use it

In either case it doesn't matter who is OEM as long as the specs are good and I like the fact that VaVa added the power button

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #63 of 88 Old 05-17-2019, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
yeah, you are right about that, but Xiaomi was the first one to use it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B89AJqKRm0c

In either case it doesn't matter who is OEM as long as the specs are good and I like the fact that VaVa added the power button
I am just waiting for that gaming-mode announcement to be honest!
gazzamongo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 88 Old 05-17-2019, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 42
This is an awesome looking unit but ...VAVA? Who the f are they??

I've read some terrible customer experience reviews but all companies have those.

Something of interest is that their website implies that all products get an 18 month warranty that is extended 12 months to 30 with registration.
post #65 of 88 Old 05-17-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like yet another Chinese company trying to get a chunk of marketshare on Amazon, right along with Anker, TaoTronics, Aukey, Mpow, HooToo etc
post #66 of 88 Old 05-22-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Found a pretty thorough review. Contrast is very good for a single chip DLP. Sadly judder and color accuracy is pretty poor. No mention of input lag

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...or-review/amp/
post #67 of 88 Old 05-22-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
Found a pretty thorough review. Contrast is very good for a single chip DLP. Sadly judder and color accuracy is pretty poor. No mention of input lag

Odd, did VaVa omit color adjustments. In Xiaomi you have some control with user settings. I don't like any presets it has

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #68 of 88 Old 05-23-2019, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:

Good catch.

What a total bomb from my perspective! I think they wanted to try to jump on the UST train and get a product to market without really doing their homework. The Xiaomi Mijia 4K is a much much better purchase choice and that's not even up to snuff either. For myself in the UST arena, Optoma, Hisense and/or LG are the only real players because they not only have a history in the projector market, but they know what they're doing to get a proper 4K, possibly color accurate image to the screen. This Vava is late to the UST game, overpriced and out of it's league.

Just my take.
oni222 likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR807
Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12
Optoma HD80 on 106" Elite Aeon Cine grey, Samsung Q6FN (2018)
Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
post #69 of 88 Old 05-23-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't see any issue with fixing color accuracy or giving more control over it. As for Xiaomi being better I don't think so, it's cheaper for sure but it has Chinese interface and no 110v. I would wait for other reviews and when product ships before writing it off. They will be insane to price it higher then what it currently is though.
post #70 of 88 Old 05-27-2019, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Vava are claiming in the comments of their IGG that

Quote:
It is native 4K! No pixel shifting shenanigans here.
I'm guessing this isn't actually even possible with the current crop of chips on the market, much less at this price point?
post #71 of 88 Old 05-27-2019, 07:43 AM

I really do feel bad for some of Vava's customers, there is so much bad information in the IGG comments:

Quote:
Hi Vava team :-)

1) If I would mount the beamer on the ceiling and use ALR screen also 180 degree rotated… would that work out?
Clearly, the answer to this question is no to anyone who has even begun to look at the way an ALR screen works.

Here is the response:

Quote:
1) Yes, that should work! The main issue is that the optimal viewing angle for an ALR screen is to have its vertical midpoint parallel with the viewers' eyes. Having it that high up doesn't affect your viewing experience too much and is hardly noticeable, but we have to address that it is not optimal.
So - not only are they advising that it will be possible to mount this thing on the ceiling - baring in mind that the screen position is only adjustable by moving the unit and it is designed to sit very close to the screen, but they are also advising that an ALR screen will work with a ceiling mounted UST projector - which it will not, it will in fact make the picture completely unwatchable it is an ambient light reflecting screen - ambient light does not come from the floor.
post #72 of 88 Old 05-27-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 12025 Post(s)
Liked: 9546
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

There is no way that projector has 2,500:1 native. The XPR chip will not allow that much contrast. Only way to get that high a contrast would be to install a manual iris and close it down, reducing the light output greatly. This projector does not have a manual iris.
post #73 of 88 Old 05-27-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
There is no way that projector has 2,500:1 native. The XPR chip will not allow that much contrast. Only way to get that high a contrast would be to install a manual iris and close it down, reducing the light output greatly. This projector does not have a manual iris.

It was measured at the screen, it’s not really feasible to measure a UST from the lens. The author explains his methods/equipment in more detail. That said, I should have mentioned this in my previous post. Still, even if the measuring from the screen doubles the contrast results (doubt it does) it would still be good for a single chip XPR DLP.
post #74 of 88 Old 05-27-2019, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 12025 Post(s)
Liked: 9546
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
It was measured at the screen, it’s not really feasible to measure a UST from the lens. The author explains his methods/equipment in more detail. That said, I should have mentioned this in my previous post. Still, even if the measuring from the screen doubles the contrast results (doubt it does) it would still be good for a single chip XPR DLP.
XPR DLP will be around 1,000:1 native.
post #75 of 88 Old 05-27-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
XPR DLP will be around 1,000:1 native.

It’s possible your right, it’s also possible the higher lumen laser light source can produce a substantial boost in contrast.
post #76 of 88 Old 05-30-2019, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was really close to pulling the trigger on this projector, glad I didn't.

I am new to the projector world (this will be my first one), but I'm for sure going UST. I'm itching to get this project going, should I snag a 1080p UST for now and wait for a few years for new tech and lower prices on USTs, or should I wait a few months and get an LG/Optoma 4k UST?
post #77 of 88 Old 05-30-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbotamous View Post

I am new to the projector world (this will be my first one), but I'm for sure going UST. I'm itching to get this project going, should I snag a 1080p UST for now and wait for a few years for new tech and lower prices on USTs, or should I wait a few months and get an LG/Optoma 4k UST?
I think 4k is well worth paying for if you are chucking a 100" screen on your wall, you can already do this on a relative budget with the Xiaomi 4k UST - which seems to be extremely similar to the Vava at a significantly lower price (even more significant once it's actually out) - Although the Vava will potentially have a warranty you can actually use, but I would wait until you can buy through normal shopping channels with proper consumer protection, and not IGG.

I very nearly pulled the trigger on the Xiaomi, but hesitated due to unknowns like colour space coverage and some problems with [email protected] (could have been user error). It still seems like a bargain even if these issues persist as I expect the LG and Optoma will be double the price.

For me the sensible thing is to wait for the releases of the big brands, see where they land on pricing and feature sets. If they end up barely besting the Xiaomi for double the price it will be an easy choice, but if they brig better coverage of DCI-P3, keystone/zoom adjustments, lower input lag or any combination of these then they will be a consideration. I dont want to be buying now and then kicking myself in 3 months time because a clearly superior PJ lands.
drdoom2k likes this.
post #78 of 88 Old 05-30-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbotamous View Post

I certainly wanted 4k initially, but I bought 1080p Xiaomi to test waters with UST in addition getting an awfully great deal on international model. Now I don't care much rushing to get expensive 4k unless it will be a good deal, since for normal viewing even downscaled 4k at 1080p looks amazing at 120 inches.

post #79 of 88 Old 07-29-2019, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I got my Vava 4K projector a few days ago. I have an nVidia Shield TV and a 120" PET Crystal ALR screen from XY-Screen. The 4K video looks great. At 120", it's easier to tell a difference between 1080p and 4K. They're supposed to come out with a firmware update that will fix the saturation issue now that they've been able to calibrate the gamma correction, but the firmware update is still not available yet as of now.

Their Android system is some kind of stripped down version and really sucks. They don't even offer an account option for you to log into Google in their system (like the NVidia Shield TV does). So the Youtube version from Aptoide TV mall is worthless without a login to keep your channels and history info, aside from being really barely usable. I tried 3 different Netflix versions and one is not compatible with the Vava Android version and the other two won't even play properly. There's no Hulu, Vudu apps, etc. All in all, you'll want to have your own set top box because the Vava is not really usable stand-alone like they try to make it to be by having an Android based system and slap on the Aptoide TV app.

So I had to get an NVidia Shield TV box. I'm only able to get a 4K 30fps resolution selection from the Shield. I don't know if this is a Vava limitation or what. It looks like 4K @ 60fps is doable on the Shield with other 4K TVs.

The built-in Harman Kardon speakers sound great. But it's not complete unless you add in an active subwoofer. I want to just supplement the built-in Harman Kardon speakers with a subwoofer, but the audio out from the Vava (for headphones, I guess) is mutually exclusive with being able to select the built-in speakers. So I had to get an HDMI switch box that has line audio output from the HDMI in and put it between my Shield TV box and the Vava to drive my subwoofer.

The Vava seems to support CEC volume control from the Shield box (although with my subwoofer setup, I don't want CEC volume control because I want the Shield to be able to control my subwoofer volume and the overall volume, and leave the Vava at fixed volume).

However, CEC power control (turning on/off the Vava) when waking/sleeping the Shield box doesn't seem to work on the Vava.

The fan is noisy enough for me, even though some reviews claim they hardly notice the fan noise. Well, I do, but is not as distracting if you're watching a video with the volume on. The amount of heat output from the Vava (from the cooling fan) seems fairly significant to me. But I guess that's the price to pay for a 360W projector that can project up to 150".

The ALR screen with the PET Crystal material from XY-Screen seems to do a decent job of blocking out ambient light. But if I leave all my windows open in my room (3 windows and a patio door) during daylight in bright sunny Arizona in the summer time, significant washout is still inevitable. But if I just close the patio door blinds and a window, the washout is greatly diminished and I can really enjoy this screen and projector.

I don't play games so I can't comment about gaming lag issues. The 30 fps frame rate is not ideal, but I find that i can live with it. If any other Vava 4K projector owner who reads this and is able to get confirmed 4K 60 fps resolution from their set top box, I'd like to hear about. Maybe it's from the Shield end, but as far as I can tell, the Shield should be able to get 4K 60fps just fine and I use HDMI 2 HDCP 2.2 compatible cables and there's no difference if I use that HDMI Switcher box for the subwoofer set up or not. It's still 4K 30fps whether I have a direct HDMI hookup between the Shield and the Vava, or if I go through the HDMI switch box for my subwoofer setup.

Customer support seems to be OK. I emailed them a number of questions on Friday and got an answer back late Sunday night. So I'm assuming that they're located in China since Sunday night in the US is Monday morning in China. They cited their system not having a Google account login option being due to Google licensing restrictions.

All in all I think it was a worthwhile purchase for my situation because I just moved into a new house without owning any existing decent TV to tide me over to wait for better/cheaper TV technologies. So if I had to buy a brand new system, for around $3600 (for both the Vava and the XY screen), I was able to get a 4K system in 120" size, which is around the same price of an 85" Samsung 4K TV I can find at Costco anyway.

Last edited by Volusiano; 07-29-2019 at 04:09 PM.
post #80 of 88 Old 07-31-2019, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
I got my Vava 4K projector a few days ago. I have an nVidia Shield TV and a 120" PET Crystal ALR screen from XY-Screen. The 4K video looks great. At 120", it's easier to tell a difference between 1080p and 4K. They're supposed to come out with a firmware update that will fix the saturation issue now that they've been able to calibrate the gamma correction, but the firmware update is still not available yet as of now.

Their Android system is some kind of stripped down version and really sucks. They don't even offer an account option for you to log into Google in their system (like the NVidia Shield TV does). So the Youtube version from Aptoide TV mall is worthless without a login to keep your channels and history info, aside from being really barely usable. I tried 3 different Netflix versions and one is not compatible with the Vava Android version and the other two won't even play properly. There's no Hulu, Vudu apps, etc. All in all, you'll want to have your own set top box because the Vava is not really usable stand-alone like they try to make it to be by having an Android based system and slap on the Aptoide TV app.

So I had to get an NVidia Shield TV box. I'm only able to get a 4K 30fps resolution selection from the Shield. I don't know if this is a Vava limitation or what. It looks like 4K @ 60fps is doable on the Shield with other 4K TVs.

The built-in Harman Kardon speakers sound great. But it's not complete unless you add in an active subwoofer. I want to just supplement the built-in Harman Kardon speakers with a subwoofer, but the audio out from the Vava (for headphones, I guess) is mutually exclusive with being able to select the built-in speakers. So I had to get an HDMI switch box that has line audio output from the HDMI in and put it between my Shield TV box and the Vava to drive my subwoofer.

The Vava seems to support CEC volume control from the Shield box (although with my subwoofer setup, I don't want CEC volume control because I want the Shield to be able to control my subwoofer volume and the overall volume, and leave the Vava at fixed volume).

However, CEC power control (turning on/off the Vava) when waking/sleeping the Shield box doesn't seem to work on the Vava.

The fan is noisy enough for me, even though some reviews claim they hardly notice the fan noise. Well, I do, but is not as distracting if you're watching a video with the volume on. The amount of heat output from the Vava (from the cooling fan) seems fairly significant to me. But I guess that's the price to pay for a 360W projector that can project up to 150".

The ALR screen with the PET Crystal material from XY-Screen seems to do a decent job of blocking out ambient light. But if I leave all my windows open in my room (3 windows and a patio door) during daylight in bright sunny Arizona in the summer time, significant washout is still inevitable. But if I just close the patio door blinds and a window, the washout is greatly diminished and I can really enjoy this screen and projector.

I don't play games so I can't comment about gaming lag issues. The 30 fps frame rate is not ideal, but I find that i can live with it. If any other Vava 4K projector owner who reads this and is able to get confirmed 4K 60 fps resolution from their set top box, I'd like to hear about. Maybe it's from the Shield end, but as far as I can tell, the Shield should be able to get 4K 60fps just fine and I use HDMI 2 HDCP 2.2 compatible cables and there's no difference if I use that HDMI Switcher box for the subwoofer set up or not. It's still 4K 30fps whether I have a direct HDMI hookup between the Shield and the Vava, or if I go through the HDMI switch box for my subwoofer setup.

Customer support seems to be OK. I emailed them a number of questions on Friday and got an answer back late Sunday night. So I'm assuming that they're located in China since Sunday night in the US is Monday morning in China. They cited their system not having a Google account login option being due to Google licensing restrictions.

All in all I think it was a worthwhile purchase for my situation because I just moved into a new house without owning any existing decent TV to tide me over to wait for better/cheaper TV technologies. So if I had to buy a brand new system, for around $3600 (for both the Vava and the XY screen), I was able to get a 4K system in 120" size, which is around the same price of an 85" Samsung 4K TV I can find at Costco anyway.
Thanks for the quick review. Any video or pics you can share
post #81 of 88 Old 07-31-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhotep6 View Post
Sorry, I don't have any video or pic to post yet. Will try to do so when I have a chance.

By the way, I was able to get 4K 60Hz shown on my Shield box for the Vava now. It's a matter of turning on HDMI 2 on the Vava side to enable this to be shown on the Shield TV.
post #82 of 88 Old 08-08-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhotep6 View Post
I manage to take some pics that I'm sharing here. The screen is a 120" ALR PET Crystal fabric from XY-Screen. The projector is a Vava 4K projector.

The first 4 are during the daylight with all my windows' blinds open. The last 4 pics are with my windows' blinds closed (except for 1/2 a window still open). This should give you an idea of how well the XY Screen is rejecting ambient light. Overall, it does reject light, but of course if it's darker then it's still the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vava pic 1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	2600656   Click image for larger version

Name:	vava pic 2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	2600658   Click image for larger version

Name:	vava pic 3.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	2600660   Click image for larger version

Name:	vava pic 4.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	2600662   Click image for larger version

Name:	vava pic 5.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	2600664  

Click image for larger version

Name:	vava pic 7.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	2600666   Click image for larger version

Name:	vava pic 6.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	2600668   Click image for larger version

Name:	vava pic 8.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	2600670  
Craig Peer and imhotep6 like this.

Last edited by Volusiano; 08-18-2019 at 05:09 PM.
post #83 of 88 Old 08-08-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
I manage to take some pics that I'm sharing here. The first 4 are during the daylight with all my windows' blinds open. The last 4 pics are with my windows' blinds closed (except for 1/2 a window still open). This should give you an idea of how well the XY Screen is rejecting ambient light. Overall, it does reject light, but of course if it's darker then it's still the best.
Those pictures look so good it looks like how many vendors Photoshop a picture into their ads.

Jack
post #84 of 88 Old 08-12-2019, 05:36 AM
g4s

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I wonder if the light source is replaceable in these UST projectors? I asked Vava's support and their answer was unclear. A slight language barrier. BTW Vava's support turns out to be from TaoTronics.
post #85 of 88 Old 08-13-2019, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone,

are there any empirical values regarding the operating volume and possible coil whine of the vava?

had to send the xiaomi 4k back just because of these two reasons both were really annoying. and as it looks to me, the two share a few components.
post #86 of 88 Old 08-13-2019, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The original specs said this was a 3d projector. Anybody know if that bore out in the final product?

Panasonic e80HS, Benq 6100, Infocus X1, LG upscaling DVD/HDTV receiver
post #87 of 88 Old 08-14-2019, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
I manage to take some pics that I'm sharing here. The screen is a 120" ALR PET Crystal fabric from XY-Screen ([email protected]). The projector is a Vava 4K projector.

The first 4 are during the daylight with all my windows' blinds open. The last 4 pics are with my windows' blinds closed (except for 1/2 a window still open). This should give you an idea of how well the XY Screen is rejecting ambient light. Overall, it does reject light, but of course if it's darker then it's still the best.
These pictures are very impressive! It kind of makes me question whether one really needs to buy the new UST projectors from LG or Optoma. Thanks for posting!
post #88 of 88 Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The specs show 6000 lumens. I'm wondering if lumens is really comparable on these UST projectors since they sit so close to the screen. I think nits or fl might be more useful measured off the screen

HTPC. Onkyo 636, Polk audio speakers and Klipsch sub. KHO-7 Outdoor speakers. Homeseer homecontrol over Z-wave.

Last edited by TimHuey; Yesterday at 08:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page