Vava 4K UST pj announced - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #61 of 78 Old 05-16-2019, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
Vava is rebranded Xiaomi, so what do you expect? As far as LG/Optoma they are most likely will be higher priced, but there is still some hope...
Vava is NOT a rebranded Xiaomi. They all use the same underlying technology but Xiaomi is not an OEM (original equipment manufacturer), they don't provide hardware for others to use. Appotronic supplies the ALPD 3.0 hardware for ALL projector manufacturers to use and each manufacturer implements the laser hardware as they see fit. So a lot of the specs will be similar but overall they all have minor differences provided by each manufacturer.

FYI

Onkyo TX-NR807
Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12
Optoma HD80 on 106" Elite Aeon Cine grey, Samsung Q6FN (2018)
Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 05-16-2019, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy LaMont View Post
Vava is NOT a rebranded Xiaomi. They all use the same underlying technology but Xiaomi is not an OEM (original equipment manufacturer), they don't provide hardware for others to use. Appotronic supplies the ALPD 3.0 hardware for ALL projector manufacturers to use and each manufacturer implements the laser hardware as they see fit. So a lot of the specs will be similar but overall they all have minor differences provided by each manufacturer.

FYI
yeah, you are right about that, but Xiaomi was the first one to use it

In either case it doesn't matter who is OEM as long as the specs are good and I like the fact that VaVa added the power button

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #63 of 78 Old 05-17-2019, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by klas View Post
yeah, you are right about that, but Xiaomi was the first one to use it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B89AJqKRm0c

In either case it doesn't matter who is OEM as long as the specs are good and I like the fact that VaVa added the power button
I am just waiting for that gaming-mode announcement to be honest!
gazzamongo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 78 Old 05-17-2019, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 39
This is an awesome looking unit but ...VAVA? Who the f are they??

I've read some terrible customer experience reviews but all companies have those.

Something of interest is that their website implies that all products get an 18 month warranty that is extended 12 months to 30 with registration.
post #65 of 78 Old 05-17-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like yet another Chinese company trying to get a chunk of marketshare on Amazon, right along with Anker, TaoTronics, Aukey, Mpow, HooToo etc
post #66 of 78 Old 05-22-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Found a pretty thorough review. Contrast is very good for a single chip DLP. Sadly judder and color accuracy is pretty poor. No mention of input lag

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...or-review/amp/
post #67 of 78 Old 05-22-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix26 View Post
Found a pretty thorough review. Contrast is very good for a single chip DLP. Sadly judder and color accuracy is pretty poor. No mention of input lag

Odd, did VaVa omit color adjustments. In Xiaomi you have some control with user settings. I don't like any presets it has

Xiaomi Mija Mi Laser UST 1080P (International), Sharp 4k 65", LG 4k 43", Nvidia Shield
post #68 of 78 Old 05-23-2019, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:

Good catch.

What a total bomb from my perspective! I think they wanted to try to jump on the UST train and get a product to market without really doing their homework. The Xiaomi Mijia 4K is a much much better purchase choice and that's not even up to snuff either. For myself in the UST arena, Optoma, Hisense and/or LG are the only real players because they not only have a history in the projector market, but they know what they're doing to get a proper 4K, possibly color accurate image to the screen. This Vava is late to the UST game, overpriced and out of it's league.

Just my take.
oni222 likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR807
Polk LSi15, Polk LSiC, Polk LSiF/X, Velodyne HGS12
Optoma HD80 on 106" Elite Aeon Cine grey, Samsung Q6FN (2018)
Xbox One X, Samsung UH750 Quantum Dot 28" UHD monitor
post #69 of 78 Old 05-23-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't see any issue with fixing color accuracy or giving more control over it. As for Xiaomi being better I don't think so, it's cheaper for sure but it has Chinese interface and no 110v. I would wait for other reviews and when product ships before writing it off. They will be insane to price it higher then what it currently is though.
post #70 of 78 Old 05-27-2019, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Vava are claiming in the comments of their IGG that

Quote:
It is native 4K! No pixel shifting shenanigans here.
I'm guessing this isn't actually even possible with the current crop of chips on the market, much less at this price point?
post #71 of 78 Old 05-27-2019, 07:43 AM

I really do feel bad for some of Vava's customers, there is so much bad information in the IGG comments:

Quote:
Hi Vava team :-)

1) If I would mount the beamer on the ceiling and use ALR screen also 180 degree rotated… would that work out?
Clearly, the answer to this question is no to anyone who has even begun to look at the way an ALR screen works.

Here is the response:

Quote:
1) Yes, that should work! The main issue is that the optimal viewing angle for an ALR screen is to have its vertical midpoint parallel with the viewers' eyes. Having it that high up doesn't affect your viewing experience too much and is hardly noticeable, but we have to address that it is not optimal.
So - not only are they advising that it will be possible to mount this thing on the ceiling - baring in mind that the screen position is only adjustable by moving the unit and it is designed to sit very close to the screen, but they are also advising that an ALR screen will work with a ceiling mounted UST projector - which it will not, it will in fact make the picture completely unwatchable it is an ambient light reflecting screen - ambient light does not come from the floor.
post #72 of 78 Old 05-27-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11816 Post(s)
Liked: 9351
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

There is no way that projector has 2,500:1 native. The XPR chip will not allow that much contrast. Only way to get that high a contrast would be to install a manual iris and close it down, reducing the light output greatly. This projector does not have a manual iris.
post #73 of 78 Old 05-27-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
There is no way that projector has 2,500:1 native. The XPR chip will not allow that much contrast. Only way to get that high a contrast would be to install a manual iris and close it down, reducing the light output greatly. This projector does not have a manual iris.

It was measured at the screen, it’s not really feasible to measure a UST from the lens. The author explains his methods/equipment in more detail. That said, I should have mentioned this in my previous post. Still, even if the measuring from the screen doubles the contrast results (doubt it does) it would still be good for a single chip XPR DLP.
post #74 of 78 Old 05-27-2019, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11816 Post(s)
Liked: 9351
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
It was measured at the screen, it’s not really feasible to measure a UST from the lens. The author explains his methods/equipment in more detail. That said, I should have mentioned this in my previous post. Still, even if the measuring from the screen doubles the contrast results (doubt it does) it would still be good for a single chip XPR DLP.
XPR DLP will be around 1,000:1 native.
post #75 of 78 Old 05-27-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
XPR DLP will be around 1,000:1 native.

It’s possible your right, it’s also possible the higher lumen laser light source can produce a substantial boost in contrast.
post #76 of 78 Old 05-30-2019, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was really close to pulling the trigger on this projector, glad I didn't.

I am new to the projector world (this will be my first one), but I'm for sure going UST. I'm itching to get this project going, should I snag a 1080p UST for now and wait for a few years for new tech and lower prices on USTs, or should I wait a few months and get an LG/Optoma 4k UST?
post #77 of 78 Old 05-30-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbotamous View Post

I am new to the projector world (this will be my first one), but I'm for sure going UST. I'm itching to get this project going, should I snag a 1080p UST for now and wait for a few years for new tech and lower prices on USTs, or should I wait a few months and get an LG/Optoma 4k UST?
I think 4k is well worth paying for if you are chucking a 100" screen on your wall, you can already do this on a relative budget with the Xiaomi 4k UST - which seems to be extremely similar to the Vava at a significantly lower price (even more significant once it's actually out) - Although the Vava will potentially have a warranty you can actually use, but I would wait until you can buy through normal shopping channels with proper consumer protection, and not IGG.

I very nearly pulled the trigger on the Xiaomi, but hesitated due to unknowns like colour space coverage and some problems with [email protected] (could have been user error). It still seems like a bargain even if these issues persist as I expect the LG and Optoma will be double the price.

For me the sensible thing is to wait for the releases of the big brands, see where they land on pricing and feature sets. If they end up barely besting the Xiaomi for double the price it will be an easy choice, but if they brig better coverage of DCI-P3, keystone/zoom adjustments, lower input lag or any combination of these then they will be a consideration. I dont want to be buying now and then kicking myself in 3 months time because a clearly superior PJ lands.
drdoom2k likes this.
post #78 of 78 Old 05-30-2019, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbotamous View Post

I certainly wanted 4k initially, but I bought 1080p Xiaomi to test waters with UST in addition getting an awfully great deal on international model. Now I don't care much rushing to get expensive 4k unless it will be a good deal, since for normal viewing even downscaled 4k at 1080p looks amazing at 120 inches.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page