The 2019 model projectors comparison thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3355Likes

post #421 of 2790 Old 02-07-2019, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Once I saw the inside of a 3-LCoS projector and how they work, I now sympathize with the engineers who have to deal with issues like this. It's probably more difficult that I can imagine getting everything just right to display that perfect picture vs. TVs.
Archibald1 likes this.

Last edited by brandon_k_w; 02-07-2019 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 2790 Old 02-07-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Good points. I'm done with JVC.

But Nigel, seriously, thank you so much for all your efforts so far. You're taking the time away from your day to keep us all informed and help us with our decisions.
I think you might be overacting. This has been a real "screw up" for JVC and hopefully they will learn something from it. Since projectors are such a limited market I do hope that the cost of this mess does not force JVC to exit the business. This has to be a big financial loss along with a hit on their reputation. I really hope that things get fixed very soon.
post #423 of 2790 Old 02-07-2019, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
JVC should hand deliver another one to you ASAP. What happened to Q.C. check. These defective units have to be costly for JVC. Two out of two being defective is not a good sign. Heads should roll over this!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Why not relay this info? I think it might say a lot as to where you're coming from.
Quote:
I don't think there are any unique QC issues that will be resolved. The situation of getting a bad unit is no worse than if you ordered up an RS640, RS540 etc. If the unit's bad, advanced replacement exchange happens. so it's not like QC will all the sudden improve over time. The same is true of Sony projectors. Lots of folks receive the unit and it works fine. You never hear from them. A few folks receive something and when it's not working they come on the forums posting about it looking for a solution.

I do think JVC Q/C has dropped in the last 2 or so years. But I don't think there's a short term QC problem on the new line that's going to be solved if you wait. Luckily, JVC's warranty and service is excellent and they take care of you. You won't be screwed or left with a dead unit. They're not super difficult to convince there are problems (like Sony is). And if you're in USA, then you're covered by advanced replacement which means a new unit comes to you, you swap and put the old in the shipping container and send it back. None of this sending in your new projector for a 6 week repair.

Advanced replacement, unless your unit is dead, you dont have to be without and send anything back.
While the 640, 990 and 9900 had lense lottery problems, were issues with the last gen better or worse than the current product release? I saw 8 x990s and only the one i bought for myself had the bad lense. That being said, i concur the e**** 4 units had much better optics but they lacked the other improvemenrs(?) of the eshift 5.

Imho, the next concern at JVC might be the friendlyness of the advanded replacement program.

I have previuosly noted how this time kast year i was made to wait two months for a replacement, a delay which was not due to product availability. When i reached out to jvc customer support in Florida, i confirmed the delay in my replacement was due to ONE person. At the time i was warned to not to make too much noise or my customer service could suffer.

Not being one to keep a low profile when it comes to my idea of fairness, i was indeed made to suffer, but not because i had bought from the wrong dealer, but rather because this jvc person is notoriously vindictive and refused to approve my replacement. I was able to resolve my issue only after a letter writing campaign to senior jvc executives and the AG offices in Delaware and New Jersey.

This same JVC person is also notoriously vindictive with dealers, threatening revocation of their access to jvc product, such that some dealers may be unable to speak out without fear of retribution.

It gets worse. This jvc person has a close relationship with a prominent dealer on our forums. This dealer has leveraged their relationship with this jvc person, to do harm to other jvc dealers. Not only to thwart competition by seeking to have dealerships revoked, but to also forward a narrative that it matters which dealer you choose to purchase your jvc product. Maybe that narrative is true if this dealer and this jvc person conspire to undermine the customer service effectiveness of other dealers.

I dont know which is more perverse or corrupt, this jvc person or this dealer many mistakenly see as their friend.

Perhaps one good outcome from this whole NX affair might be the canning and replacing of this jvc person with someone who does not liken himself as jvc's Tony Soprano. Someone who understands jvc benefits much more, from a strong and diverse dealer ecosytem, rather than the current power play of a single dealer to leverage more market share at the expense of others.

I dont know why Javs suffered more trouble with jvc in his part of the world, but it seems clear what might be wrong with jvc usa.

I hope every owner of the new NX projectors is able to quickly resolve any issues they may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 2790 Old 02-07-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6395 Post(s)
Liked: 6393
post #425 of 2790 Old 02-07-2019, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Quote:
JVC should hand deliver another one to you ASAP. What happened to Q.C. check. These defective units have to be costly for JVC. Two out of two being defective is not a good sign. Heads should roll over this!!!
Quote:
Why not relay this info? I think it might say a lot as to where you're coming from.
Quote:
I don't think there are any unique QC issues that will be resolved. The situation of getting a bad unit is no worse than if you ordered up an RS640, RS540 etc. If the unit's bad, advanced replacement exchange happens. so it's not like QC will all the sudden improve over time. The same is true of Sony projectors. Lots of folks receive the unit and it works fine. You never hear from them. A few folks receive something and when it's not working they come on the forums posting about it looking for a solution.

I do think JVC Q/C has dropped in the last 2 or so years. But I don't think there's a short term QC problem on the new line that's going to be solved if you wait. Luckily, JVC's warranty and service is excellent and they take care of you. You won't be screwed or left with a dead unit. They're not super difficult to convince there are problems (like Sony is). And if you're in USA, then you're covered by advanced replacement which means a new unit comes to you, you swap and put the old in the shipping container and send it back. None of this sending in your new projector for a 6 week repair.

Advanced replacement, unless your unit is dead, you dont have to be without and send anything back.
While the 640, 990 and 9900 had lense lottery problems, were issues with the last gen better or worse than the current product release? I saw 8 x990s and only the one i bought for myself had the bad lense. That being said, i concur the e**** 4 units had much better optics but they lacked the other improvemenrs(?) of the eshift 5.

Imho, the next concern at JVC might be the friendlyness of the advanded replacement program.

I have previuosly noted how this time kast year i was made to wait two months for a replacement, a delay which was not due to product availability. When i reached out to jvc customer support in Florida, i confirmed the delay in my replacement was due to ONE person. At the time i was warned to not to make too much noise or my customer service could suffer.

Not being one to keep a low profile when it comes to my idea of fairness, i was indeed made to suffer, but not because i had bought from the wrong dealer, but rather because this jvc person is notoriously vindictive and refused to approve my replacement. I was able to resolve my issue only after a letter writing campaign to senior jvc executives and the AG offices in Delaware and New Jersey.

This same JVC person is also notoriously vindictive with dealers, threatening revocation of their access to jvc product, such that some dealers may be unable to speak out without fear of retribution.

It gets worse. This jvc person has a close relationship with a prominent dealer on our forums. This dealer has leveraged their relationship with this jvc person, to do harm to other jvc dealers. Not only to thwart competition by seeking to have dealerships revoked, but to also forward a narrative that it matters which dealer you choose to purchase your jvc product. Maybe that narrative is true if this dealer and this jvc person conspire to undermine the customer service effectiveness of other dealers.

I dont know which is more perverse or corrupt, this jvc person or this dealer many mistakenly see as their friend.

Perhaps one good outcome from this whole NX affair might be the canning and replacing of this jvc person with someone who does not liken himself as jvc's Tony Soprano. Someone who understands jvc benefits much more, from a strong and diverse dealer ecosytem, rather than the current power play of a single dealer to leverage more market share at the expense of others.

I dont know why Javs suffered more trouble with jvc in his part of the world, but it seems clear what might be wrong with jvc usa.

I hope every owner of the new NX projectors is able to quickly resolve any issues they may have.
Well, that experience would certainly explain (and justify) your negative tone recently that Javs and others (including me) have noticed. Hopefully, as discussed elsewhere, we can keep having your great contributions to the forums! But wow, sounds like a crazy story.
post #426 of 2790 Old 02-07-2019, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
I think you might be overacting. This has been a real "screw up" for JVC and hopefully they will learn something from it. Since projectors are such a limited market I do hope that the cost of this mess does not force JVC to exit the business. This has to be a big financial loss along with a hit on their reputation. I really hope that things get fixed very soon.
I think you meant "overreacting," right? Well, I had ordered my NX9 from my authorized seller on or around end of September last year and he still doesn't even have my unit in stock yet --even if I still wanted it. Talk about delays...and this some good units and some problem units talk and now even Arrow's review itself is delayed. Anyway, I'm now glad I canceled my order. That's all.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #427 of 2790 Old 02-07-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_k_w View Post
Once I saw the inside of a 3-LCoS projector and how they work, I now sympathize with the engineers who have to deal with issues like this. It's probably more difficult that I can imagine getting everything just right to display that perfect picture vs. TVs.
But JVC has had extensive experience, years and years of experience building Lcos projectors. So, I really don't know what the heck is going on here.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #428 of 2790 Old 02-07-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4637 Post(s)
Liked: 2942
Quote:

That story sucks I feel for you. I imagine the stress during that was high. Was your issue the lens quality or was it a more obvious defect? Was it one of the things where this person had to be convinced your projector actually had a problem that was "not within acceptable spec"?

I think the last generation of units suffered from some really bad iris problems. There are lamp iris problems with grinding iris and also lens iris issues where pumping becomes very noticeable out of the blue. The lamp iris problem becomes very obvious as it grinds and makes noise and sometimes the projector shuts down. The lens iris is tough. It seems at least a couple people had same problem I have where it appears to work normally but then starts pumping hard and is somewhat intermittent. Many folks think this is just how they are. So who knows.

So far my experience with JVC support has been positive. Lets see what happens with my RS4500, which seems to have a problem with very long warm up times for focus.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #429 of 2790 Old 02-07-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bytehoven, you are indeed a valuable member to this forum. For example, I can't forget your help with your X990 owners thread; yeah it was very helpful to me and was organized so well for all of us who needed a resource. I just hope you keep coming on this forum.
Bytehoven and enricoclaudio like this.

Last edited by Aztar35; 02-07-2019 at 06:22 PM.
post #430 of 2790 Old 02-07-2019, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Man I’m personally SO glad I went the route I did instead of all this SXRD and LCoS fiasco lately. The very slight shortcomings are well worth many added benefits I see and experience.
jherring69 and Archibald1 like this.
post #431 of 2790 Old 02-07-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
That story sucks I feel for you. I imagine the stress during that was high. Was your issue the lens quality or was it a more obvious defect? Was it one of the things where this person had to be convinced your projector actually had a problem that was "not within acceptable spec"?

I think the last generation of units suffered from some really bad iris problems. There are lamp iris problems with grinding iris and also lens iris issues where pumping becomes very noticeable out of the blue. The lamp iris problem becomes very obvious as it grinds and makes noise and sometimes the projector shuts down. The lens iris is tough. It seems at least a couple people had same problem I have where it appears to work normally but then starts pumping hard and is somewhat intermittent. Many folks think this is just how they are. So who knows.

So far my experience with JVC support has been positive. Lets see what happens with my RS4500, which seems to have a problem with very long warm up times for focus.
I provided documentary proof of my x990 issues and jvc Florida agreed the unit needed to be fixed. One issue was i entitled to an advanced replacement or having to send my unit in for repair.

I use my x990 as the primary client preview monitor during production sessions. I purchased the jvc specifically for the benefit of not having have my production capability being taken off line for a projector repair.

Again i fully participated in the customer service process to document the problem. Its also worth noting the problem was discovered soon after i took delivery and installed the unit.

While there were number ancilary issues with my x990, the primary shortcoming was a very poor lens which affected nearly 1/3 of the screen, an issue observed by others.

I hope you are able work out your rs4500 issues.

Last edited by Bytehoven; 02-07-2019 at 07:23 PM.
post #432 of 2790 Old 02-07-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Bytehoven, you are indeed a valuable member to this forum. For example, I can't forget your help with your X990 owners thread; yeah it was very helpful to me and was organized so well for all of us who needed a resource. I just hope you keep coming on this forum.
Hi aztar... thanks for your kind words. We have a great many positive contributors in the eshift 5 owners thread. It was inevitable for these models to be surpased, but it is worth the effort to keep pushing the limits of our collective experience for those who want to maintain ownership for awhile longer.

I do hope all new NX owners will have any issues resolved and im sure they will be in good hands in Nigel's NX owners thread.
Aztar35 likes this.
post #433 of 2790 Old 02-07-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I provided documentary proof of my x990 issues and jvc Florida agreed the unit needed to be fixed. One issue was i entitled to an advanced replacement or having to send my unit in for repair.

I use my x990 as the primary client preview monitor during production sessions. I purchased the jvc specifically for the benefit of not having have my production capability being taken off line for a projector repair.

Again i fully participated in the customer service process to document the problem. Its also worth noting the problem was discovered soon after i took delivery and installed the unit.

While there were number ancilary issues with my x990, the primary shortcoming was a very poor lens which affected nearly 1/3 of the screen, an issue observed by others.

I hope you are able work out your rs4500 issues.
Im not sure if you hang out in the RS4500 owners thread, but my unit has some focus issue where it takes 90 minutes to fully warm up and be in perfect focus. It goes through 3 stages:
0-15 minute: powers up in warmed up state looks great. Convergence slightly off, but not too bad for warm up.
15-90 minute: blurs a bit but is in consistent. If I set a focus lens preset for this state, I can switch to it at the 15 minute mark and things look great.
90+ minutes: back to original state on power on for focus. Convergence sets in at it's final state.

My software just takes the projector through lens presets for each of these states and I can't really tell. Through the IP control I can switch lens presets without even any indication on the screen that it's happening. So it just keeps the projector focused.

But still, I think it should be right, and so far, JVC rep seems to agree with me. So let's see how this goes. Are you saying that rep might OK the advanced exchange but someone higher up may decline it?

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #434 of 2790 Old 02-07-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Im not sure if you hang out in the RS4500 owners thread, but my unit has some focus issue where it takes 90 minutes to fully warm up and be in perfect focus. It goes through 3 stages:
0-15 minute: powers up in warmed up state looks great. Convergence slightly off, but not too bad for warm up.
15-90 minute: blurs a bit but is in consistent. If I set a focus lens preset for this state, I can switch to it at the 15 minute mark and things look great.
90+ minutes: back to original state on power on for focus. Convergence sets in at it's final state.

My software just takes the projector through lens presets for each of these states and I can't really tell. Through the IP control I can switch lens presets without even any indication on the screen that it's happening. So it just keeps the projector focused.

But still, I think it should be right, and so far, JVC rep seems to agree with me. So let's see how this goes. Are you saying that rep might OK the advanced exchange but someone higher up may decline it?
In your case, the 4500 does achieve acceptable focus, it just does so differently than other units. My problem unit never achieved focus in the problem areas of the screen. So whether your circumstance is within a range of normal behavior, is really a matter for you and jvc to work out.

Would one level of Customer Support approve and another level recind?

One motivation for sharing my experience is to bring scrutiny to the advanced replacement policies such that other owners receive more equitable and consistent treatment.

So in that context, why would jvc do anything other than work to keep your ownership experience of their flagship product, as positive as possible?

I wish you the best and hope are able to receive a rs4500 sample that fulfills all of your expectations. Imho, such expectations are not unreasonable.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #435 of 2790 Old 02-07-2019, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked: 4378
I never had a JVC projector but I do have at work 6 x JVC Pro Cameras that cost between $5000 to $15000 each. Back in 2017 I had an issue with one of the three $5000 cameras that it wasn't turning ON. It was still under the 3 years warranty so we tried for 3 months to get somebody from JVC Pro on the phone with no luck. Only after a friend of mine who is JVC dealer got in contact with JVC, we got the camera repaired in less than 2 weeks. On the other hand, back on December 26 2018 I put a claim with Sony CS about a defect on my Sony X930E under warranty. After a few phone calls and emails, one month later, on Jan 26th 2019, I got a $1498 refund check from Sony on the mail for the full amount I paid for my Sony X930E. I think warranties/CS experiences varies from case to case. In my case, I had better experience with Sony than with JVC but I still love my JVC Pro cameras and I have no intention to replace them with Sony cameras. I kinda feel the same about my Sony 295ES projector. After returning a defective first 295ES, I got a good replacement and I have no intentions to pass again for the same process of panel lottery. I think it's enough for one year....

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #436 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 01:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Still no review....
post #437 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 01:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
Well there's your problem! Everyone knows the JVC styrofoam packing materials cannot handle the bumps of the suspension of either your Lamborghini Huracan or Audi TTRS!
Can't blame JVC. Those looks like water got into the projector... Nigel needs to own up to failing to secure those projectors onto his Canoe!
Archibald1 likes this.
post #438 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 01:54 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Can't blame JVC. Those looks like water got into the projector... Nigel needs to own up to failing to secure those projectors onto his Canoe!
Nope, it will "just" be a part misaligned somewhere in the optical block.
post #439 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 02:24 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

With all that purple I was thinking maybe he ran over Barney the Dinosaur on his way home with them!
coolgeek, Aztar35 and Archibald1 like this.
post #440 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 37
@arrow It will be very interesting (while you wait for the Jvc replacement) if you could give us some info on the Sony projectors. I'm actually very interested in your measurement of the native contrast of the 695ES (570ES) as I own one and try to compare it with N7.

Thanks
post #441 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think you meant "overreacting," right? Well, I had ordered my NX9 from my authorized seller on or around end of September last year and he still doesn't even have my unit in stock yet --even if I still wanted it. Talk about delays...and this some good units and some problem units talk and now even Arrow's review itself is delayed. Anyway, I'm now glad I canceled my order. That's all.
Yes Overreacting was the correct word. Typing too fast. I really want JVC to succeed. The demand for projectors is really small and is is very expensive to develop new products. JVC must have taken a big hit with the problems that they have had and are having. I just wish they they had been more up front with everyone with specific information when they had delays. I would think that anyone who got a defective unit should be shipped a new one overnight. In Arrow's case he should be able to return the defective ones to his distributor and get an immediate replacement. JVC would be better off delaying other orders if they have to and replace the defective ones first. It is the right thing to do. We don't know if shipping or something else is causing the issue but it is up to JVC to do the right thing immediately.

If the people in charge at JVC are reading this forum and others around the world that must realize that they have to do something.
1. I would suggest that they delay all shipments and Q.C. every unit carefully to see where the issues lie.
2. If they find that the units are being damaged in shipment then the packing materials or shipment methods must be revised.
3. I would suggest that all JVC distributors also Q.C. each unit upon arrival and the same should be done by each dealer.
4. If a customer does get a defective unit after this immediate replacements must be available.
5. JVC should issue a statement regarding the problems with something to reassure their customers.

Going into crisis mode and doing the right thing should stop a wave a cancellations or orders. Having read this and the German forum it seems that some customers have already cancelled and will wait until next year. JVC must stop the bleeding by reassuring their customers and being upfront about everything.

I had considered ordering a new unit and I am glad that I have waited. I am still interested and want to see how things shake out.

Last edited by rwestley; 02-08-2019 at 04:59 AM.
post #442 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Man I’m personally SO glad I went the route I did instead of all this SXRD and LCoS fiasco lately. The very slight shortcomings are well worth many added benefits I see and experience.
Would be nice to get the LK970 or LK990 join to Arrows comparison... Can you do something
Dave Harper likes this.

JVC DLA-RS500
post #443 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 05:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgdl View Post
Well there's your problem! Everyone knows the JVC styrofoam packing materials cannot handle the bumps of the suspension of either your Lamborghini Huracan or Audi TTRS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
Would be nice to get the LK970 or LK990 join to Arrows comparison... Can you do something
I second that. Time to bring in something other than SXRDs... and see how subjectively these bright LK970 do compared to the dimmer SXRDs... no brightness matched... all must be at their best.
post #444 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 05:22 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Quote:
Yes Overreacting was the correct word. Typing too fast. I really want JVC to succeed. The demand for projectors is really small and is is very expensive to develop new products. JVC must have taken a big hit with the problems that they have had and are having. I just wish they they had been more up front with everyone with specific information when they had delays. I would think that anyone who got a defective unit should be shipped a new one overnight. In Arrow's case he should be able to return the defective ones to his distributor and get an immediate replacement. JVC would be better off delaying other orders if they have to and replace the defective ones first. It is the right thing to do. We don't know if shipping or something else is causing the issue but it is up to JVC to do the right thing immediately.

If the people in charge at JVC are reading this forum and others around the world that must realize that they have to do something.
1. I would suggest that they delay all shipments and Q.C. every unit carefully to see where the issues lie.
2. If they find that the units are being damaged in shipment then the packing materials or shipment methods must be revised.
3. I would suggest that all JVC distributors also Q.C. each unit upon arrival and the same should be done by each dealer.
4. If a customer does get a defective unit after this immediate replacements must be available.
5. JVC should issue a statement regarding the problems with something to reassure their customers.

Going into crisis mode and doing the right thing should stop a wave a cancellations or orders. Having read this and the German forum it seems that some customers have already cancelled and will wait until next year. JVC must stop the bleeding by reassuring their customers and being upfront about everything.

I had considered ordering a new unit and I am glad that I have waited. I am still interested and want to see how things shake out.
You cant get a projector immediately replaced or for overnight delivery if there is no stock. These units are so new that I can only assume there is no immediate advanced replacement in most cases. I ran into this when I had my x790 replaced as their simply was not a unit to replace it with until the next batch hit which took a few weeks.

Certainly sucks Arrow got two bum units in a row though and doesnt speak well (once again) to the QC department.

I'm with you though on being glad I sat out this round. Been a rough launch to say the least. I am still excited to see one in action though and looks like I'll be seeing the 2000 on the 24th here in Denver. Curious if the pulsating has made any improvements and is the biggest thing I am wanting to see.

Last edited by Toe; 02-08-2019 at 05:26 AM.
post #445 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
You cant get a projector immediately replaced or for overnight delivery if there is no stock. These units are so new that I can only assume there is no immediate advanced replacement in most cases. I ran into this when I had my x790 replaced as their simply was not a unit to replace it with until the next batch hit which took a few weeks.

Certainly sucks Arrow got two bum units in a row though and doesnt speak well (once again) to the QC department.
I feel that in view of the issues that JVC must keep a few units available for immediate overnight delivery. The "no stock" excuse does not hold water for me. Every company should hold a few units in reserve in case of issues to use for immediate replacement. This is especially true with any new product.
rak306 likes this.
post #446 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 05:31 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
I feel that in view of the issues that JVC must keep a few units available for immediate overnight delivery. The "no stock" excuse does not hold water for me. Every company should hold a few units in reserve in case of issues to use for immediate replacement. This is especially true with any new product.
Ah, the commercial realities. Every unit held in stock in a unit that didn't ship, revenue that isn't recognised. The shipped units, even if faulty, are recognised as revenue the moment they ship out; they just need to be dealt with later.

Unfortunately this is what happens when accountants start running businesses...
post #447 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Ah, the commercial realities. Every unit held in stock in a unit that didn't ship, revenue that isn't recognised. The shipped units, even if faulty, are recognised as revenue the moment they ship out; they just need to be dealt with later.

Unfortunately this is what happens when accountants start running businesses...
Accountants can also put companies out of business if they force a company to act this way. Just read this forum and others around the world. JVC has problems that must be resolved immediately. A statement should be issued and customers must be reassured to avoid a real disaster of cancellations and returns.

I think that because of the delay there was a lot a pressure put on JVC to deliver and the Q.C. might have been hurt because of this.

Last edited by rwestley; 02-08-2019 at 05:41 AM.
post #448 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 05:56 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Accountants can also put companies out of business if they force a company to act this way.
Got that T-shirt. Feel bad for the engineering folk at JVC as I'm sure they're probably not having a great time looking at these posts of woe.
Fingers crossed for speedy resolutions to everyone's issues.
post #449 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Accountants can also put companies out of business if they force a company to act this way. Just read this forum and others around the world. JVC has problems that must be resolved immediately. A statement should be issued and customers must be reassured to avoid a real disaster of cancellations and returns.

I think that because of the delay there was a lot a pressure put on JVC to deliver and the Q.C. might have been hurt because of this.
You make it sound like there's some sort of production-line-stopping catastrophe deserving a global recall or something. Most owners are happy with their units. A couple owners had some issues in the owners thread and it sounds like prompt replacements are on the way. If people want to cancel orders over it and buy next year, that doesn't hurt JVC. They'll just pick up those guys next year. They already cant fulfill all the orders. And most those guys that cancel now probably buy in a couple months when they realize they panicked for nothing.
dlinsley, jencas and Archibald1 like this.

post #450 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
Looks like JVC some real QC or durability issues with these projectors. It is surprising that there are so many defective units out there. Before blaming delivery drivers, it is JVC's responsibility to design the product and packaging to stand up to normal shipping.
Looks like Sony's issues are coming into perspective and we now know why Sony have been the only real native 4K player in the consumer/prosumer market for quite some time.... It must be because these tiny 4k panels and associated devices must be super hard to make reliably. Not to mention the sheer complexity of the innards of these sophisticated units!
rwestley and Aztar35 like this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
2019 , Epson , Jvc , Projectors , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page