The 2019 model projectors comparison thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3357Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,134
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
You make it sound like there's some sort of production-line-stopping catastrophe deserving a global recall or something. Most owners are happy with their units. A couple owners had some issues in the owners thread and it sounds like prompt replacements are on the way. If people want to cancel orders over it and buy next year, that doesn't hurt JVC. They'll just pick up those guys next year. They already cant fulfill all the orders. And most those guys that cancel now probably buy in a couple months when they realize they panicked for nothing.
You are probably correct that most owners are happy with their units. That being said it becomes a matter of perception regarding the problem. I disagree that cancellation will not hurt JVC. They need as many sales as possible for their bottom line. The problem can easily be solved by JVC keeping a few extra units on hand for immediate shipping if customers have problems.
Aztar35 likes this.
rwestley is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,930
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2342 Post(s)
Liked: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
You are probably correct that most owners are happy with their units. That being said it becomes a matter of perception regarding the problem. I disagree that cancellation will not hurt JVC. They need as many sales as possible for their bottom line. The problem can easily be solved by JVC keeping a few extra units on hand for immediate shipping if customers have problems.
..and let's all hope the number of problems never outnumbers the number of any extra units the company does keep on hand.
rwestley and Archibald1 like this.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #453 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 07:56 AM
Member
 
danlw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Wow. I've had my eye on an NX7, but the LS10500 is looking more and more attractive. I won't be ready to buy until early next year anyway... maybe Epson will release a true 4K LS11000 for less than $10K by then. Honestly, the true 4K vs "4K Enhancement" is the only think keeping me off the Epson bandwagon at this point. I just wish I was like one of these high power reviewers who could get an LS10500 and an NX7 side by side because on the one hand, going Laser is a huge deal, and by accounts I've read, the LS10500 has much better contrast and black level performance than any of the DLP lasers, albeit not as good as JVC. (but certainly much better than my current Mitsubishi HC4000.) Tone mapping isn't a big deal for me because I have a gaming PC that I use as a HTPC... so tone mapping via MadVR will work for me.

However, I'd like to game at 4K, and again by many accounts, gaming at native 4K is noticably better than gaming at "Enhancement/E-Shift/Wobulated 4K"
Archibald1 likes this.

I am DanLW.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1341
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...103-danlw.html

Last edited by danlw2; 02-08-2019 at 08:00 AM.
danlw2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #454 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,192
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6498 Post(s)
Liked: 6476
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I feel that in view of the issues that JVC must keep a few units available for immediate overnight delivery. The "no stock" excuse does not hold water for me. Every company should hold a few units in reserve in case of issues to use for immediate replacement. This is especially true with any new product.
That would be a wonderful thing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I think that because of the delay there was a lot a pressure put on JVC to deliver and the Q.C. might have been hurt because of this.
I think you just have a good old case of a few DOA's that are going to happen with any product. If it gets excessive that is one thing, I do not think we are there yet.....
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #455 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,134
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
That would be a wonderful thing.....

I think you just have a good old case of a few DOA's that are going to happen with any product. If it gets excessive that is one thing, I do not think we are there yet.....
I agree but if I was JVC I would hand deliver new units to Arrow and others who are having issues.
rwestley is offline  
post #456 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gary Lightfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 6,434
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlw2 View Post
Wow. I've had my eye on an NX7, but the LS10500 is looking more and more attractive. I won't be ready to buy until early next year anyway... maybe Epson will release a true 4K LS11000 for less than $10K by then. Honestly, the true 4K vs "4K Enhancement" is the only think keeping me off the Epson bandwagon at this point. I just wish I was like one of these high power reviewers who could get an LS10500 and an NX7 side by side because on the one hand, going Laser is a huge deal, and by accounts I've read, the LS10500 has much better contrast and black level performance than any of the DLP lasers, albeit not as good as JVC. (but certainly much better than my current Mitsubishi HC4000.) Tone mapping isn't a big deal for me because I have a gaming PC that I use as a HTPC... so tone mapping via MadVR will work for me.

However, I'd like to game at 4K, and again by many accounts, gaming at native 4K is noticably better than gaming at "Enhancement/E-Shift/Wobulated 4K"
I don't game, but I've seen many comments from people who have compared 4K to fauK with respect to gaming and say they prefer 4K to eshift, so that may be an important factor for you. If it isn't such a big deal, I'd say go for the LS as the res isn't a big factor for movie content. If you're not going to be buying for at least a year. I'd wait - the JVCs will have sorted their early release issues out and Epson may have a 4K laser as a replacement for the LS10500. Then I'd try and get a demo if possible. It's not that difficult to do a split screen demo so if your dealer has both, ask him if he can do that, ideally fully calibrated.

If there is a replacement from Epson, the remaining 10500s may be reduced further to clear, and that would be a real bargain, especially given the small performance differences in real terms.
danlw2 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
Gary Lightfoot is offline  
post #457 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 09:08 AM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
Would be nice to get the LK970 or LK990 join to Arrows comparison... Can you do something
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
I second that. Time to bring in something other than SXRDs... and see how subjectively these bright LK970 do compared to the dimmer SXRDs... no brightness matched... all must be at their best.

I personally can’t make that happen unless someone wants to pay my expenses to the mainland and time away from work?

They would definitely need the HarperVision treatment to compare with. I just discovered some new HarperVision 2.0 tweaks and mods that are a whole new ballgame too! Details to follow in that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlw2 View Post
Wow. I've had my eye on an NX7, but the LS10500 is looking more and more attractive. I won't be ready to buy until early next year anyway... maybe Epson will release a true 4K LS11000 for less than $10K by then. Honestly, the true 4K vs "4K Enhancement" is the only think keeping me off the Epson bandwagon at this point. I just wish I was like one of these high power reviewers who could get an LS10500 and an NX7 side by side because on the one hand, going Laser is a huge deal, and by accounts I've read, the LS10500 has much better contrast and black level performance than any of the DLP lasers, albeit not as good as JVC. (but certainly much better than my current Mitsubishi HC4000.) Tone mapping isn't a big deal for me because I have a gaming PC that I use as a HTPC... so tone mapping via MadVR will work for me.



However, I'd like to game at 4K, and again by many accounts, gaming at native 4K is noticably better than gaming at "Enhancement/E-Shift/Wobulated 4K"

I wouldn’t discount the DLP lasers so easily, especially the high power BenQ LK970/990s. What they lack in pure black level and contrast they MORE than make up in just about everything else, and surpass by a wide margin! HDR and sports are utterly jaw dropping with the punch, sharpness and detail coupled with 5,000 and 6,000 lumens respectively!
Gary Lightfoot, Reddig and danlw2 like this.
Dave Harper is offline  
post #458 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,258
Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked: 6364
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlw2 View Post
Wow. I've had my eye on an NX7, but the LS10500 is looking more and more attractive. I won't be ready to buy until early next year anyway... maybe Epson will release a true 4K LS11000 for less than $10K by then. Honestly, the true 4K vs "4K Enhancement" is the only think keeping me off the Epson bandwagon at this point. I just wish I was like one of these high power reviewers who could get an LS10500 and an NX7 side by side because on the one hand, going Laser is a huge deal, and by accounts I've read, the LS10500 has much better contrast and black level performance than any of the DLP lasers, albeit not as good as JVC. (but certainly much better than my current Mitsubishi HC4000.) Tone mapping isn't a big deal for me because I have a gaming PC that I use as a HTPC... so tone mapping via MadVR will work for me.
Not all of the DLP lasers...

Reddig likes this.
ARROW-AV is offline  
post #459 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,801
Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11990 Post(s)
Liked: 9502
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Not all of the DLP lasers...

Just needs to add: " under 100K."
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #460 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,134
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Arrow, any news when you are getting replacements for your bad units?
rwestley is offline  
post #461 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 10:14 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2433 Post(s)
Liked: 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
Not all of the DLP lasers...
That's a bit like me saying...
Cars don't travel at the speed of sound...

Some cars do...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	2522112  
Reddig, ARROW-AV and Archibald1 like this.
bobof is online now  
post #462 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,258
Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked: 6364
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
That's a bit like me saying...
Cars don't travel at the speed of sound...

Some cars do...
LOL!

But, as it happens, I am not just referring to the CHRISTIE

There are already numerous examples wherein that statement is incorrect and there will be more soon as well

In short, DLP is making a comeback, and without its pre-existing Achilles Heal... In other words you can't generalize any longer that all DLPs have low ON/OFF contrast performance, because that is now an overgeneralization that quite simply is not true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Just needs to add: " under 100K."
Haha, OK you got me there Mike!

That said, I have a feeling that we will be seeing high contrast DLP projectors costing less than 100K a lot sooner than you might think...


Last edited by ARROW-AV; 02-08-2019 at 10:35 AM.
ARROW-AV is offline  
post #463 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 10:28 AM
aka jfinnie
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Norwich, UK
Posts: 3,013
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2433 Post(s)
Liked: 1566
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
LOL!

But, as it happens, I am not just referring to the CHRISTIE

There are already numerous examples wherein that statement is incorrect and there will be more soon as well

In short, DLP is making a comeback, and without its pre-existing Achilles Heal... In other words you can't generalize any longer that all DLPs have low ON/OFF contrast performance, because that is now an overgeneralization that quite simply is not true...
Oh yeah, the other other "really affordable" one... lol.
I get your point, but they really need some other technological description as the DLP chip isn't the defining factor behind the image quality anymore, it's the dual modulation (I believe... )
bobof is online now  
post #464 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 10:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
While the 640, 990 and 9900 had lense lottery problems, were issues with the last gen better or worse than the current product release? I saw 8 x990s and only the one i bought for myself had the bad lense. That being said, i concur the e**** 4 units had much better optics but they lacked the other improvemenrs(?) of the eshift 5.

Imho, the next concern at JVC might be the friendlyness of the advanded replacement program.

I have previuosly noted how this time kast year i was made to wait two months for a replacement, a delay which was not due to product availability. When i reached out to jvc customer support in Florida, i confirmed the delay in my replacement was due to ONE person. At the time i was warned to not to make too much noise or my customer service could suffer.

Not being one to keep a low profile when it comes to my idea of fairness, i was indeed made to suffer, but not because i had bought from the wrong dealer, but rather because this jvc person is notoriously vindictive and refused to approve my replacement. I was able to resolve my issue only after a letter writing campaign to senior jvc executives and the AG offices in Delaware and New Jersey.

This same JVC person is also notoriously vindictive with dealers, threatening revocation of their access to jvc product, such that some dealers may be unable to speak out without fear of retribution.

It gets worse. This jvc person has a close relationship with a prominent dealer on our forums. This dealer has leveraged their relationship with this jvc person, to do harm to other jvc dealers. Not only to thwart competition by seeking to have dealerships revoked, but to also forward a narrative that it matters which dealer you choose to purchase your jvc product. Maybe that narrative is true if this dealer and this jvc person conspire to undermine the customer service effectiveness of other dealers.

I dont know which is more perverse or corrupt, this jvc person or this dealer many mistakenly see as their friend.

Perhaps one good outcome from this whole NX affair might be the canning and replacing of this jvc person with someone who does not liken himself as jvc's Tony Soprano. Someone who understands jvc benefits much more, from a strong and diverse dealer ecosytem, rather than the current power play of a single dealer to leverage more market share at the expense of others.

I dont know why Javs suffered more trouble with jvc in his part of the world, but it seems clear what might be wrong with jvc usa.

I hope every owner of the new NX projectors is able to quickly resolve any issues they may have.

Does this guy work out of the NJ office? If so it seems like he thinks he is the Tony Soprano of projectors; and he is doing a great job of fulfilling the stereotype of a true NJ d-bag. I heard through the grapevine that his favorite one dealer gets preferential treatment in terms of product availability; and that other dealers have been punished for offering better pricing.
rwestley likes this.
malba2366 is offline  
post #465 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,258
Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked: 6364
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Oh yeah, the other other "really affordable" one... lol.
I get your point, but they really need some other technological description as the DLP chip isn't the defining factor behind the image quality anymore, it's the dual modulation (I believe... )
There is in fact a third new DLP projector that looks promising that I will be evaluating shortly, however this is also a high-end product with an MSRP of circa $130K.

However, as the numbers of high contrast DLP projectors increases so does the probability that the respective technologies will trickle down into more affordable projectors. Wherein indubitable this will happen, it is simply a matter of time

Remember how crazy expensive first generation plasma TVs cost?

Craig Peer, Reddig and bobof like this.
ARROW-AV is offline  
post #466 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,801
Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11990 Post(s)
Liked: 9502
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
There is in fact a third new DLP projector that looks promising that I will be evaluating shortly, however this is also a high-end product with an MSRP of circa $130K.

However, as the numbers of high contrast DLP projectors increases so does the probability that the respective technologies will trickle down into more affordable projectors. Wherein indubitable this will happen, it is simply a matter of time

Remember how crazy expensive first generation plasma TVs cost?

Hopefully that is more promising than the Christie, since I do not expect that one to trickle down in price very much.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #467 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,694
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked: 6528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
There is in fact a third new DLP projector that looks promising that I will be evaluating shortly, however this is also a high-end product with an MSRP of circa $130K.

However, as the numbers of high contrast DLP projectors increases so does the probability that the respective technologies will trickle down into more affordable projectors. Wherein indubitable this will happen, it is simply a matter of time

Remember how crazy expensive first generation plasma TVs cost?

I'm really skeptical on this. We always complain about contrast with DLP, but they've also had the problem with the INSANE price gap between the common consumer HT projector and the upper end 3-chip lines. HUGE gap. If you look at how cheap you can get a single chip DLP, it always makes you wonder why 3-chip always started at price point north of $20-30K more. So saying that these new technologies will trickle down at some point may be a bit of a pipe dream when it comes to DLP land. They have a knack for keeping the highs REALLY high and the lows low. If you look at the threads the vast majority of DLPs that people rave about are business projectors that are not even designed for home theater use.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is online now  
post #468 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 12:00 PM
Member
 
danlw2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
I wouldn’t discount the DLP lasers so easily, especially the high power BenQ LK970/990s. What they lack in pure black level and contrast they MORE than make up in just about everything else, and surpass by a wide margin! HDR and sports are utterly jaw dropping with the punch, sharpness and detail coupled with 5,000 and 6,000 lumens respectively!
I looked at it but once I found out it didn't have motorized lens memory, I lost interest. I run CIH, and I'm tired of jumping up on my back sofa to adjust my projector.
Toe and BondDonBond like this.

I am DanLW.
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1341
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...103-danlw.html
danlw2 is offline  
post #469 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
grendelrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 932
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I'm really skeptical on this. We always complain about contrast with DLP, but they've also had the problem with the INSANE price gap between the common consumer HT projector and the upper end 3-chip lines. HUGE gap. If you look at how cheap you can get a single chip DLP, it always makes you wonder why 3-chip always started at price point north of $20-30K more. So saying that these new technologies will trickle down at some point may be a bit of a pipe dream when it comes to DLP land. They have a knack for keeping the highs REALLY high and the lows low. If you look at the threads the vast majority of DLPs that people rave about are business projectors that are not even designed for home theater use.
I am with you on that one, I have never understood why 3 chip DLP was so ridiculously expensive. 3LCD and DILA/SXRD do not have the same issue for some odd reason, but they can release 1 chip DLP units for super cheap. I really wish DLP would make up some ground in the contrast arena and give us some more options, DLP has a lot of nice advantages that could make a stellar projector if they could get their price under control for higher end models.
seanbryan likes this.
grendelrt is online now  
post #470 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,258
Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked: 6364
UPDATE:

OK, so it's obviously it was disappointing for me to discover that not only is my JVC RS3000/NX9 unit defective but so also is my JVC RS2000/NX7/N7

HOWEVER s**t happens and it is what action or inaction by the manufacturer occurs as a consequence that is important; and with respect to this I have to say kudos to JVC, who did not need any prompting before kicking into action immediately.

First of all, JVC's UK distributor cleared their schedule so as to pay me a visit personally today. They checked out my NX9 and N7 units and confirmed that my observations are correct and that yes the units do both indeed appear to be defective; and so they have taken them away for provision to JVC.

Unfortunately, due to delay and everything being considerably backordered, for obvious reasons there quite simply is no surplus stock available to be able to provide me with replacement units immediately.

However, JVC has reassured me that despite the shortage whilst production catches up with the overwhelming demand, that I will be receiving brand new replacement units in circa 21 days' time; which personally I am very happy about all things considered.

Yes it is annoying, however, I have simply fallen foul of a double dose of bad luck, and nothing more than this.

And what with these being brand new products that have been designed from the ground up some initial bugs and wrinkles that need ironing out are to be expected. Wherein, the fact of the matter is that I have absolutely no doubt that JVC will most certainly iron out the wrinkles and cure the bugs, as and when, it is simply a matter of time. Where I have reminded myself that the JVC RS4500/Z1 was similarly afflicted at product launch but subsequently the various issues were quickly addressed by JVC and the projector became one of if not the best performing home theater projector at the respective price point. So I have no doubt that the same will transpire in this instance with respect to the new projectors.

Either way, I am very much looking forward to evaluating some units that are not defective, because from what I have seen and experienced so far, these new projectors are a significant step forwards with respect to video performance as compared with the pre-existing eShift range and in more ways than one.

I did have time to carry out some preliminary direct comparisons between the JVC RS540/X7900 versus the JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 and what I can say from my initial evaluation is that the JVC RS2000/NX7/N7 hands down outperforms the JVC RS540/X7900 and it is not even close. The lens is better, and that is not even taking into account the increase in native resolution. The image is considerably sharper with far greater MTF and considerably more detail. Comparing the Quick Brown Fox and other test patterns is quite simply embarrassing for the RS540/X7900 in comparison. The contrast performance is similar, but the dynamic contrast performance of the RS2000/NX7/N7 is notably much better, although I do think that some further tweaking via further firmware updates is in order for HDR content specifically, but even so I think some of those who have been turning off the DI with the pre-existing projectors will be pleasantly surprised and will end up using the DI with the new projectors. Motion performance is also notably better as well. Furthermore, there is considerably less video noise and the image is a lot more calm, solid, and stable looking with the RS2000/NX7/N7. And this is merely scratching the surface. So in answer to the pertinent question 'If I currently own a JVC eShift 4K projector is it worth it and/or would it be a significant upgrade if I were to replace my existing projector with a JVC RS2000/NX7/N7?' my answer to that question is a definitive YES

It is very important to note that unlike other regions, such as the United States THERE WAS/IS NO ADDITIONAL QC CARRIED OUT IN THE UK. So despite having unfortunately been dealt a pair of lemons, it is worth noting that the incidence of such DOAs is not actually really any more than what is typical. I have simply been very unlucky.

And similarly typical is the number and severity of the initial launch bugs and issues; wherein, indubitably these will be ironed out by JVC. Consequently, I am still very much of the opinion that JVC has absolutely smashed it out of the park with this new range of projectors

Toe, DLCPhoto, markmon1 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 02-08-2019 at 01:09 PM.
ARROW-AV is offline  
post #471 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stumlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 60
$99,999.99 within 3 yrs... guaranteed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
LOL!
That said, I have a feeling that we will be seeing high contrast DLP projectors costing less than 100K a lot sooner than you might think...
Reddig likes this.
stumlad is offline  
post #472 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,258
Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked: 6364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I'm really skeptical on this. We always complain about contrast with DLP, but they've also had the problem with the INSANE price gap between the common consumer HT projector and the upper end 3-chip lines. HUGE gap. If you look at how cheap you can get a single chip DLP, it always makes you wonder why 3-chip always started at price point north of $20-30K more. So saying that these new technologies will trickle down at some point may be a bit of a pipe dream when it comes to DLP land. They have a knack for keeping the highs REALLY high and the lows low. If you look at the threads the vast majority of DLPs that people rave about are business projectors that are not even designed for home theater use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
I am with you on that one, I have never understood why 3 chip DLP was so ridiculously expensive. 3LCD and DILA/SXRD do not have the same issue for some odd reason, but they can release 1 chip DLP units for super cheap. I really wish DLP would make up some ground in the contrast arena and give us some more options, DLP has a lot of nice advantages that could make a stellar projector if they could get their price under control for higher end models.
There is a perfectly valid reason for that though... In short, typically manufacturers of DLP projectors use the DLP chipsets by Texas Instruments so have to date been limited by whatever happens to be the portfolio of DLP chipsets that TI has to offer. Furthermore, the ONLY true native 4K 3-Chip DLP chipset by TI has been the 'Cinema' chipset, which has until very recently been protected under exclusive license and hence unavailable to anyone other than the respective third parties who co-financed its development, namely Barco, Christie, and NEC. However, this exclusive license recently lapsed. Furthermore, TI has been and is investing considerable resources with respect to developing an array of new DLP chipsets that promise to improve economics substantially. So I would not be so skeptical, because whilst that has very much been the past, is most certainly is not going to be the future. I have no doubt that we WILL be seeing less expensive 3-Chip DLP projectors as a consequence of this

Craig Peer, Lynkage and Reddig like this.
ARROW-AV is offline  
post #473 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,258
Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked: 6364
ARROW-AV is offline  
post #474 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,694
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3831 Post(s)
Liked: 6528
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
There is a perfectly valid reason for that though... In short, typically manufacturers of DLP projectors use the DLP chipsets by Texas Instruments so have to date been limited by whatever happens to be the portfolio of DLP chipsets that TI has to offer. Furthermore, the ONLY true native 4K 3-Chip DLP chipset by TI has been the 'Cinema' chipset, which has until very recently been protected under exclusive license and hence unavailable to anyone other than the respective third parties who co-financed its development, namely Barco, Christie, and NEC. However, this exclusive license recently lapsed. Furthermore, TI has been and is investing considerable resources with respect to developing an array of new DLP chipsets that promise to improve economics substantially. So I would not be so skeptical, because whilst that has very much been the past, is most certainly is not going to be the future. I have no doubt that we WILL be seeing less expensive 3-Chip DLP projectors as a consequence of this

I was talking about native 4K, I'm talking about going back as far as DLP has been in projectors. When I was visiting Runco/Planar back in the day working on the review of the Planar 8150, I asked about why buying a 3-chip projector that used the same TI DMD as was in that projector costed over $50K. They were trying to get something in the $20K arena, but it only materialized as a 720p model and went no where. Now we are seeing single chip XPR DMDs being sold under boutique labels for north of $50K for single chip, which is a travesty. So you could understand why I am taking this all with a MASSIVE gain of salt!!
Spizz, OzHDHT, Craig Peer and 3 others like this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is online now  
post #475 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV
 
ARROW-AV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,258
Mentioned: 240 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3920 Post(s)
Liked: 6364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I was [not?] talking about native 4K, I'm talking about going back as far as DLP has been in projectors. When I was visiting Runco/Planar back in the day working on the review of the Planar 8150, I asked about why buying a 3-chip projector that used the same TI DMD as was in that projector costed over $50K. They were trying to get something in the $20K arena, but it only materialized as a 720p model and went no where. Now we are seeing single chip XPR DMDs being sold under boutique labels for north of $50K for single chip, which is a travesty. So you could understand why I am taking this all with a MASSIVE gain of salt!!
Yes, well, that that is utterly ridiculous

Reddig likes this.
ARROW-AV is offline  
post #476 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,913
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6705 Post(s)
Liked: 7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
Does this guy work out of the NJ office? If so it seems like he thinks he is the Tony Soprano of projectors; and he is doing a great job of fulfilling the stereotype of a true NJ d-bag. I heard through the grapevine that his favorite one dealer gets preferential treatment in terms of product availability; and that other dealers have been punished for offering better pricing.
The NJ office was closed well over a year ago. Whomever your talking about probably retired or was lay'd off, and no longer works for JVC.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #477 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,913
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6705 Post(s)
Liked: 7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I'm really skeptical on this. We always complain about contrast with DLP, but they've also had the problem with the INSANE price gap between the common consumer HT projector and the upper end 3-chip lines. HUGE gap. If you look at how cheap you can get a single chip DLP, it always makes you wonder why 3-chip always started at price point north of $20-30K more. So saying that these new technologies will trickle down at some point may be a bit of a pipe dream when it comes to DLP land. They have a knack for keeping the highs REALLY high and the lows low. If you look at the threads the vast majority of DLPs that people rave about are business projectors that are not even designed for home theater use.
I guess we could be happy if they trickled down to say $ 35,000.00 ? Still much better than $ 135,000.00 !
Craig Peer is offline  
post #478 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 02:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I guess we could be happy if they trickled down to say $ 35,000.00 ? Still much better than $ 135,000.00 !
Projector manufactures have 5-7 years to sell HT projectors at these crazy high prices...Samsung will probably be at or below $35K for a 150 inch modular microled screen by then.
malba2366 is offline  
post #479 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,801
Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11990 Post(s)
Liked: 9502
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
The NJ office was closed well over a year ago. Whomever your talking about probably retired or was lay'd off, and no longer works for JVC.
The guy that ran the NJ office retired, I think three years ago. I do not even know who ran the NJ office the last couple of years it was open.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #480 of 2790 Old 02-08-2019, 04:24 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
The 2019 model projectors comparison thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlw2 View Post
I looked at it but once I found out it didn't have motorized lens memory, I lost interest. I run CIH, and I'm tired of jumping up on my back sofa to adjust my projector.


The image is well worth the hassle, believe me! You can use an anamorphic lens and leave it in place so you don’t have to use the manual controls too.

I look at it like this, for the ~$15-30K savings you get buying a BenQ LK970/990, you trade off this:

-Native Contrast
-Total Black
-Powered Lens Memory and focus


And gain this:

-Amazing brightness for specular highlights and all things HDR
-top quality 16 Element 8 Group Lens
-Sharpness
-Depth and 3 dimensionally to die for
-Awesome Shadow detail
-Color brightness in low APL and High peak scenes
-The best HDR and Sports projector I’ve ever had here.
-Now featuring full BT2020/DCI-P3 Color gamut with HarperVision 2.0

I’ve recently had a Sony VW885ES and many others through here and wouldn’t trade the LK970 for ANY of them! The only one I’d sell this for and get right now under $20K is the LK990.
Bytehoven, Reddig and Aztar35 like this.

Last edited by Dave Harper; 02-08-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Dave Harper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
2019 , Epson , Jvc , Projectors , Sony

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off