The 2019 model projectors comparison thread - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3362Likes

post #481 of 2791 Old 02-08-2019, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Dave that does sound exciting. I look forward to hearing Kris Deerings thoughts on the LK970 since he has requested a unit.
Dave Harper and Aztar35 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 2791 Old 02-08-2019, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Agree with post above. I expect modular or flexible TVs at 100+” in 5 years kill consumer projector market. Projectors won’t be sold to anyone but ultra heigh end home theaters by that point. It’s the same as it was with CRTs. Videophiles would buy these huge and heavy Sony trinitron flat CRTs while smaller LCD TVs were sold with vastly inferior image. Until plasma TVs showed up at 42”+.
post #483 of 2791 Old 02-08-2019, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
This is NOT a JVC thread only. This thread was opened by @ARROW-AV and he will be testing all 2019 Sony and JVC models. He will also include the JVC RS540/X790, JVC Z1 and Sony 885ES. He is already in possession of the Sony 295ES, 695ES and 995ES.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57504346

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Actually, after reading the posts here, it seems this has become a JVC thread, unless you count the DLP mentions.
Dave Harper, Lynkage and Aztar35 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 2791 Old 02-08-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
The NJ office was closed well over a year ago. Whomever your talking about probably retired or was lay'd off, and no longer works for JVC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The guy that ran the NJ office retired, I think three years ago. I do not even know who ran the NJ office the last couple of years it was open.

Last edited by Bytehoven; 02-16-2019 at 10:07 PM.
post #485 of 2791 Old 02-08-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
UPDATE:

OK, so it's obviously it was disappointing for me to discover that not only is my JVC RS3000/NX9 unit defective but so also is my JVC RS2000/NX7/N7
Spoiler!

Nigel, gotta love your glass is half full sentiments.

21 days ... i'm counting the minutes waiting on the local Sat 3/8 Captain Marvel showing, so seeing you reviews in the same timeframe will be an extra bonus.
post #486 of 2791 Old 02-08-2019, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 7606 Post(s)
Liked: 9388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
What - you have a problem with Fred Zecha ? I know Fred. There are always two sides to every story.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5x2g6r
post #487 of 2791 Old 02-08-2019, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 13169 Post(s)
Liked: 10799
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Bill Birdsall ran the NJ office. He retired shortly before JVC closed that office. Fred is the general manager for custom sales, for the whole US.
post #488 of 2791 Old 02-08-2019, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2276 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARROW-AV View Post
UPDATE:

OK, so it's obviously it was disappointing for me to discover that not only is my JVC RS3000/NX9 unit defective but so also is my JVC RS2000/NX7/N7

Nigel what was wrong with your NX9 now, was it just your observations of the noise in e-shift 8K, or was there more?
Did you demo those things to the JVC rep from the UK?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #489 of 2791 Old 02-08-2019, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
The image is well worth the hassle, believe me! You can use an anamorphic lens and leave it in place so you don’t have to use the manual controls too.

I look at it like this, for the ~$15-30K savings you get buying a BenQ LK970/990, you trade off this:

-Native Contrast
-Total Black
-Powered Lens Memory and focus

And gain this:

-Amazing brightness for specular highlights and all things HDR
-top quality 16 Element 8 Group Lens
-Sharpness
-Depth and 3 dimensionally to die for
-Awesome Shadow detail
-Color brightness in low APL and High peak scenes
-The best HDR and Sports projector I’ve ever had here.
-Now featuring full BT2020/DCI-P3 Color gamut with HarperVision 2.0

I’ve recently had a Sony VW885ES and many others through here and wouldn’t trade the LK970 for ANY of them! The only one I’d sell this for and get right now under $20K is the LK990.

Excuse my ignorance, what exactly is harpervision?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #490 of 2791 Old 02-08-2019, 11:11 PM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 3088 Post(s)
Liked: 2216
Quote:
I look at it like this, for the ~$15-30K savings you get buying a BenQ LK970/990, you trade off this:
>snip<
Ehem, really? Charts or it didn't happen. Or am I just supposed to take it on trust because you gave it a silly name?
markmon1 likes this.
post #491 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
The 2019 model projectors comparison thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
Ehem, really? Charts or it didn't happen. Or am I just supposed to take it on trust because you gave it a silly name?

Ehem, yes really. Here is what I have on my phone so far. I only played with it for a few hours the other night so far and did a real rough calibration. This is using 50% amp 100% saturation of P3 inside BT2020:

That got about 95% pretty easily. When I initially put in 100% amp 100% sat BT2020 color patterns I got right at about 100%.

I guess “DolbyVision” is a farce too, just because of the silly name and all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfish View Post
Excuse my ignorance, what exactly is harpervision?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See the links in my signature below and also the latest BenQ LK970 thread for details. It’s basically my way of manually tone mapping for HDR on projectors (before it became all the rage for manufacturers and certain curve makers) due to everyone complaining about them being too dim with HDR. I also was able to do it so you can display HDR on non-HDR 4K projectors.
woofer likes this.

Last edited by Dave Harper; 02-09-2019 at 02:48 AM.
post #492 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 01:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked: 2512
Quote:
The image is well worth the hassle, believe me! You can use an anamorphic lens and leave it in place so you don’t have to use the manual controls too.

-Native Contrast
-Total Black

And gain this:

-Sharpness
-Awesome Shadow detail

I’ve recently had a Sony VW885ES and many others through here and wouldn’t trade the LK970 for ANY of them! The only one I’d sell this for and get right now under $20K is the LK990.
Thanks Dave,

I am going to see if i can arrange to get a audition on the LK990 ....
Got a friend who is in the market for a projector, have now crossed the NX9 OFF the list ....the LK990 sounds very interesting.

very curious myself to see how it performs..
Spizz, ericlhyman and Reddig like this.
post #493 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 02:03 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Ehem, yes really. Here is what I have on my phone so far. I only played with it for a few hours the other night so far and did a real rough calibration. This is using 50% amp 100% saturation of P3 inside BT2020:

That got about 95% pretty easily. When I initially out in 100% amp 100% sat BT2020 color patterns I got right at about 100%.

Ok, so I think we've got a different definition of what "full BT2020/DCI-P3 Color gamut" means. I was going by the standards, which it doesn't look like it is able to get >that< near, even looking at this tiny sample of patches. I'm not sure what you actually mean when you say "full BT2020/DCI-P3 color gamut" when it doesn't even reach P3. Can you explain a bit more?

The green 50% primary you're showing there is around half the luminance it should be given the white luminance, making it around 13dE2000 out compared to the reference white level. Even discounting the lack of colour luminance it is still over 3 dE2000 out, well over any visibility thresholds.

If you looked at this in 3D rather than through the Calman haze you'd see what was actually going on here and I think realise it is pretty far from "full".
Wookii, Manni01 and ARROW-AV like this.
post #494 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 03:08 AM

The 2019 model projectors comparison thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
Thanks Dave,

I am going to see if i can arrange to get a audition on the LK990 ....

Got a friend who is in the market for a projector, have now crossed the NX9 OFF the list ....the LK990 sounds very interesting.

very curious myself to see how it performs..

Make sure to try to load my settings for HDR. I highly doubt, like other brands of projectors, that the stock HDR mode will be any good at all really. I hope my settings translate well to the LK990, but you never know. They didn’t from the Epson LS10000 to the LS10500. It required an entire rework.

There’s also some color filter options I’ve discovered now and am in the process of testing. Initial impressions are very good!

Quote:
Ok, so I think we've got a different definition of what "full BT2020/DCI-P3 Color gamut" means. I was going by the standards, which it doesn't look like it is able to get >that< near, even looking at this tiny sample of patches. I'm not sure what you actually mean when you say "full BT2020/DCI-P3 color gamut" when it doesn't even reach P3. Can you explain a bit more?

The green 50% primary you're showing there is around half the luminance it should be given the white luminance, making it around 13dE2000 out compared to the reference white level. Even discounting the lack of colour luminance it is still over 3 dE2000 out, well over any visibility thresholds.

If you looked at this in 3D rather than through the Calman haze you'd see what was actually going on here and I think realise it is pretty far from "full".

As I said, this was a really quick test and rough calibration I did the other night. I haven’t even spent any real time at all with it. I didn’t even adjust the individual color brightnesses. I wanted to just see how far the saturation could go. It was a simple test of some filters I acquired.

I spent no time whatsoever getting all the ducks in a row yet. I have a Lumagen Radiance Pro here now and intent to do more in depth tweaking when I finally get the chance.

What I mean is “P3 in a BT2020 container “, as it is on UHD Blu-rays.

I also said when I put in a 100% amplitude, 100% saturation BT2020 color patterns they reached the full P3 gamut points.

THIS is exactly why I didn’t want to say anything yet. I just love all the “experts” here with this model, who’ve never even seen one yet. If you haven’t, you don’t have a clue. Ask @12GAGE .

I guess I’ll just keep it all to myself from now on and enjoy it all for myself. It’s time to retire and enjoy Hawaii. Have fun with your drooping and degrading, misaligned, dim, long warmup DiLA, SXRD, LCoS, LCD based projectors.
jherring69 likes this.

Last edited by Dave Harper; 02-09-2019 at 03:14 AM.
post #495 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 03:24 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
As I said, this was a really quick test and rough calibration I did the other night. I haven’t even spent any real time at all with it. I didn’t even adjust the individual color brightnesses. I wanted to just see how far the saturation could go. It was a simple test of some filters I acquired.

I spent no time whatsoever getting all the ducks in a row yet. I have a Lumagen Radiance Pro here now and intent to do more in depth tweaking when I finally get the chance.

What I mean is “P3 in a BT2020 container “, as it is on UHD Blu-rays.

I also said when I put in a 100% amplitude, 100% saturation BT2020 color patterns they reached the full gamut points.

THIS is exactly why I didn’t want to say anything yet. I’ll keep it all to myself from now on and enjoy it all for myself. It’s time to retire and enjoy Hawaii. Have fun with your drooping and degrading, misaligned, dim, long warmup LCoS based projectors.
Well, maybe don't say anything yet if you don't have data to back it up

I think the language you're using is very loose verging on misleading if this is what you're achieving, and taking too much of a leaf from the "DLP marketroid's guide to colour". This isn't a DLP vs LCOS conversation like you're trying to make out (I couldn't care less about the tech employed or the brands they're made by), it's about fair representation and accurate description, you'll find everyone gets the same short-sharp thrift if they're playing loose with the "science" or not documenting what they're claiming. You're posting using worlds like "full" and "2020" and "p3" in a sentence together and it's certainly by no means clear that you're attaching the same meaning to them as might reasonably be expected.

I'm all for discussion of these things, after all this is the avscience forum. Every time I see a new DLP launched I get excited and then realise that a marketeer decided they needed to put the REC20202/P3 moniker on it to sell using weasel words, regardless of whether it actually can meet it.
Craig Peer, Wookii and Manni01 like this.
post #496 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Well, maybe don't say anything yet if you don't have data to back it up

I think the language you're using is very loose verging on misleading if this is what you're achieving, and taking too much of a leaf from the "DLP marketroid's guide to colour". This isn't a DLP vs LCOS conversation like you're trying to make out (I couldn't care less about the tech employed or the brands they're made by), it's about fair representation and accurate description, you'll find everyone gets the same short-sharp thrift if they're playing loose with the "science" or not documenting what they're claiming. You're posting using worlds like "full" and "2020" and "p3" in a sentence together and it's certainly by no means clear that you're attaching the same meaning to them as might reasonably be expected.

I'm all for discussion of these things, after all this is the avscience forum. Every time I see a new DLP launched I get excited and then realise that a marketeer decided they needed to put the REC20202/P3 moniker on it to sell using weasel words, regardless of whether it actually can meet it.

Well sorry for actually thinking you’d know that “BT2020/P3” actually means “P3 inside a BT2020 container” considering the entire industry and this forum does and everyone knows NO consumer display that I’ve heard of can do “Full BT2020” (which I DID NOT say!)
post #497 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 03:42 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Well sorry for actually thinking you’d know that “BT2020/P3” actually means “P3 inside a BT2020 container” considering the entire industry and this forum does and everyone knows NO consumer display that I’ve heard of can do “Full BT2020” (which I DID NOT say!)
That wasn't the point. You're not even showing it doing P3 at the moment.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Manni01 likes this.
post #498 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Today I had the second encounter with the N7. This time I brought my meter to check the native contrast and try to compare with my Sony 695ES.

The projector was calibrated, last time it was not.

The setup was very close to what I have in my theatre so 123" screen in 16:9 aspect ratio high contrast 0,8 gain. Projection distance 4mt (13 feet) so lens zoom almost to the max.

The N7 with low lamp mode and manual iris fully open measured 63 Nits on the screen (which is a lot with a 0,8 gain screen). In this setup I measured a native contrast of 22.000:1 while my Sony 695ES in the same condition measures 14.000:1

The bonus with Jvc is that you can close the manual iris and I could close it by 4 step and match the same light I have with my Sony (still in low lamp). The professional calibrator did set the manual iris to -8 and the brightness of the image was still perfectly acceptable. In that case the contrast I measured was 32.000:1

Unfortunately I didn't measure the contrast at -4 of the manual iris but I think that making a proportion it should have been around 27.000 - 28.000 so twice as the Sony 695ES with the same light output, not bad!

Some other things that I noticed this time:

- The lens of the N7 is way better than the 695ES. I saw some resolution images (1 pixel patterns) and Jvc had 0 problems with them while the Sony (even with low latency on, auto panel alignment turned off and Reality creation at low level) had some problems. When you look at the image of the N7 you see a lot more of fine details. The feeling is that it has more "monitor like" details (I don't know if I can explain myself). With 4k disks even a slight adjustment on the MPC was too much, there is already a lot of detail you should leave it to 0.

- The N7 was a very good unit. I checked the patterns with the white squares on the black background and it doesn't exhibit the problem Arrow and others reported, so no light scatter at all. The other N7 I have seen had some.

- The noise of the fan in high mode is very comparable to the Sony one. Last time the projector was set in a small place inside a piece of forniture and it was very loud. I think that both projectors mounted in an open space make the same noise in high lamp.

- For what I've seen the RGB balance along the different gray levels was very accurate on the Jvc even at 100 IRE. With my projector if I want 100% IRE perfect I have to make some compromises in the lower end.

So while both projectors can exhibit a stunning image the Jvc has some advantages that can't leave an enthusiast indifferent.

Hope that helps
Spizz, smitty, Craig Peer and 6 others like this.

Last edited by Homer J Simpson; 02-09-2019 at 05:49 AM.
post #499 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2407 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
Quote:
I can see the problem right there!

Apparently the NX9 belongs to their 'PROCISION' series...…

I hope that kind of inaccuracy isn't present in their engineers calculations as well....

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #500 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2407 Post(s)
Liked: 1311
Quote:

-Native Contrast
-Total Black

And gain this:

-Sharpness
-Awesome Shadow detail

Hi Dave.
You forgot to mention RBE, which I am very susceptible to unfortunately or I would probably be right there next to you!

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #501 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Excellent post Homer. I am looking forward to getting maybe an NX9 to replace my Sony 1100 at some point in the future. Thanks for the observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J Simpson View Post
Today I had the second encounter with the N7. This time I brought my meter to check the native contrast and try to compare with my Sony 695ES.

The projector was calibrated, last time it was not.

The setup was very close to what I have in my theatre so 123" screen in 16:9 aspect ratio high contrast 0,8 gain. Projection distance 4mt (13 feet) so lens zoom almost to the max.

The N7 with low lamp mode and manual iris fully open measured 63 Nits on the screen (which is a lot with a 0,8 gain screen). In this setup I measured a native contrast of 22.000:1 while my Sony 695ES in the same condition measures 14.000:1

The bonus with Jvc is that you can close the manual iris and I could close it by 4 step and match the same light I have with my Sony (still in low lamp). The professional calibrator did set the manual iris to -8 and the brightness of the image was still perfectly acceptable. In that case the contrast I measured was 32.000:1

Unfortunately I didn't measure the contrast at -4 of the manual iris but I think that making a proportion it should have been around 27.000 - 28.000 so twice as the Sony 695ES with the same light output, not bad!

Some other things that I noticed this time:

- The lens of the N7 is way better than the 695ES. I saw some resolution images (1 pixel patterns) and Jvc had 0 problems with them while the Sony (even with low latency on, auto panel alignment turned off and Reality creation at low level) had some problems. When you look at the image of the N7 you see a lot more of fine details. The feeling is that it has more "monitor like" details (I don't know if I can explain myself). With 4k disks even a slight adjustment on the MPC was too much, there is already a lot of detail you should leave it to 0.

- The N7 was a very good unit. I checked the patterns with the white squares on the black background and it doesn't exhibit the problem Arrow and others reported, so no light scatter at all. The other N7 I have seen had some.

- The noise of the fan in high mode is very comparable to the Sony one. Last time the projector was set in a small place inside a piece of forniture and it was very loud. I think that both projectors mounted in an open space make the same noise in high lamp.

- For what I've seen the RGB balance along the different gray levels was very accurate on the Jvc even at 100 IRE. With my projector if I want 100% IRE perfect I have to make some compromises in the lower end.

So while both projectors can exhibit a stunning image the Jvc has some advantages that can't leave an enthusiast indifferent.

Hope that helps
post #502 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Thanks for sharing Dave. I for one appreciate your observations as most would have to get a unit like this sight unseen. Without Dave I more than likely would not have bought a LK970. I am glad I did because what I have now is probably my favorite unit over the past 10 years. I have probably had 30+ units over the past 15 years and only a few stand out. I think at times we get a little to caught up in hard measurements and numbers on the board. Not saying they have no importance, but to me practical viewing enjoyment trumps the #'s. In this case, Dave's observations point to increased color coverage possible through filter use. On the DLP blue lasers, that for some would be a big deal if the light output doesn't tank drastically. Maybe there will be some native contrast gains as well with these filters. Overall, I still enjoy the discussions here but sometimes the tenor/tone of the conversations and challenges are a bit disappointing at times. As a result, I definitely keep a lot more info to myself these days. If others start doing the same I think we are going to lose a wealth of knowledge on the boards.

Quote:

That got about 95% pretty easily. When I initially put in 100% amp 100% sat BT2020 color patterns I got right at about 100%.

See the links in my signature below and also the latest BenQ LK970 thread for details. It’s basically my way of manually tone mapping for HDR on projectors (before it became all the rage for manufacturers and certain curve makers) due to everyone complaining about them being too dim with HDR. I also was able to do it so you can display HDR on non-HDR 4K projectors.
post #503 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 5856 Post(s)
Liked: 3929
Quote:
Have fun with your drooping and degrading, misaligned, dim, long warmup DiLA, SXRD, LCoS, LCD based projectors.
Yea man, have fun with your blacks greys. You realize that #333333 equivalent isn't black, right?
mattztt, llang269 and Colozeus like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
post #504 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Yea man, have fun with your blacks greys. You realize that #333333 equivalent isn't black, right?
Have you even seen the projector? I think the 'tenor' and 'tone' mentioned by dgage is enlightening..
post #505 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 07:37 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 7142 Post(s)
Liked: 7181
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I agree but if I was JVC I would hand deliver new units to Arrow and others who are having issues.
The units have warranties at the very least, it is not like these guys are going to be stuck with them. Good chance the units will be replaced by JVC direct and hand delivered by a freight company JVC hired
post #506 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
We're Nuts About AV

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked: 6892
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
Would be nice to get the LK970 or LK990 join to Arrows comparison... Can you do something
For a variety of reasons that is not going to happen.

Firstly, I would like to make clear that I am actually a huge fan of DLP technology based projectors; wherein, high contrast 3-chip DLP projectors IMO should in all instances significantly outperform LCoS equivalents in more ways than one, for numerous reasons. Where in fact the two video projectors that I consider to produce without a doubt the best video performance of all right now are both DLP

BUT I have absolutely zero interest in DLP projectors that feature either poor contrast performance or:

I should add that whilst both the LK970 and LK990 have been crossed off my list (sorry!), I am intrigued by claims that the BENQ HT9060 is not afflicted by rainbows... I have not yet seen this projector so will most certainly be doing so; although I do have concerns regarding what is its actual contrast performance (I am not buying the marketing claims)

Spizz, OzHDHT, Craig Peer and 5 others like this.

Last edited by ARROW-AV; 02-09-2019 at 08:03 AM.
post #507 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2821 Post(s)
Liked: 1566
Quote:

Dave, I confirmed with my projector dealer that I was done with the NX9. I'm looking for a bright second unit. Is there any place in the Northeast that will offer a demo of either the LK970 or the LK990?

EDIT: the PA, NJ, NY, CT area

Last edited by Aztar35; 02-09-2019 at 08:16 AM.
post #508 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi Dave.
You forgot to mention RBE, which I am very susceptible to unfortunately or I would probably be right there next to you!
This machine, with its brightness and sharpness, will be great for multi use; but your point is precisely why I'd like to demo first to gauge RBE sensitivity. I noticed, however, many who have the LK970 and posted on this forum say it's a non-issue.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #509 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi, Mark. Remember that none of our projectors, at least the ones we're discussing, show a black. They're all shades of gray, right? I'm interested in demo'ing.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #510 of 2791 Old 02-09-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
That wasn't the point. You're not even showing it doing P3 at the moment.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

I’ve already said two other times, including the initial time, that when I input BT2020 100% amplitude, 100% Saturation color patterns it reaches the P3 gamut points. If you keep choosing to ignore this fact, then it is me who doesn’t get your point.

As 12GAGE said, I don’t understand the tone and tenor here. Did I do something personal to you and the drones that just repeat everything here sight unseen, to elicit this tone? Could you not respond in a nice manner with an open mind actually seeking knowledge and “science” as you put it?

Quote:
Oh I am, believe me! Maybe actually see one before you make statements like that and drop 3-6 times as much on a projector that questionably isn’t even any better overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Have you even seen the projector? I think the 'tenor' and 'tone' mentioned by dgage is enlightening..

Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GAGE View Post
Thanks for sharing Dave. I for one appreciate your observations as most would have to get a unit like this sight unseen. Without Dave I more than likely would not have bought a LK970. I am glad I did because what I have now is probably my favorite unit over the past 10 years. I have probably had 30+ units over the past 15 years and only a few stand out. I think at times we get a little to caught up in hard measurements and numbers on the board. Not saying they have no importance, but to me practical viewing enjoyment trumps the #'s. In this case, Dave's observations point to increased color coverage possible through filter use. On the DLP blue lasers, that for some would be a big deal if the light output doesn't tank drastically. Maybe there will be some native contrast gains as well with these filters. Overall, I still enjoy the discussions here but sometimes the tenor/tone of the conversations and challenges are a bit disappointing at times. As a result, I definitely keep a lot more info to myself these days. If others start doing the same I think we are going to lose a wealth of knowledge on the boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Hi Dave.

Yes good point. Thanks for adding, although the LK970 does very well in that Dept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Dave, I confirmed with my projector dealer that I was done with the NX9. I'm looking for a bright second unit. Is there any place in the Northeast that will offer a demo of either the LK970 or the LK990?

EDIT: the PA, NJ, NY, CT area

As I mentioned, I have a client in Staten Island that bought one from me, but he’s had various issues (including a robbery!!!) getting it all setup and running. He promised me that when it is he’d be happy to host you for a viewing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
2019 , Epson , Jvc , Projectors , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page