The 2019 model projectors comparison thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3357Likes

post #151 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I had a chance to spend an hour with both the Jvc N7 and the Sony 695ES (570ES here in Europe).

We were in a light controlled room and the projectors were placed at 7 mt. (23 feet) from the screen.

The screen was an Elite screen Dark Star 9 - 0,8 gain 123” in 16:9 format.

We had to switch from one to the other, it was not possible to run them together at the same time to split the screen.

I personally own a Sony 695ES and I was considering switching to the N7. I previously owned both JVC and Sony projectors.

I had my i1 Display pro that I brought to measure the light on screen but there was not time to calibrate the projectors.

So I set the Sony to Reference profile, D65 color balance, Gamma 2.2, dynamic iris on to full.

The Jvc to Natural profile, 6500K color balance, Gamma 2.2, auto iris 2, manual iris full open.

Regarding the light on screen I measured the Sony to have 37 Nits in low lamp mode and 63 Nits in high lamp mode. The Jvc was at 50 Nits in low lamp and 62 in High lamp. So at high lamp both projectors have the same light output.

We compared the two projectors with Sony in high lamp and Jvc in low lamp to match the brightness.

We looked at some SDR material (no HDR): Dark Knight returns (motorbike chase), Oblivion (library scene) and Paradise beach (sos flare scene).

Well it’s very hard to find some differences between the two. The contrast look almost the same with both projector exhibiting a very pleasing deep black.

The technicians before my arrival measured 18.000 contrast for Sony and about 19.000 contrast for Jvc (with both zoom lens at max and Jvc with manual iris full open), so they are very close.

I could really not see any significant difference in contrast. Maybe the Sony looked a little bit more contrasty in some scene while the Jvc exhibited a slightly better black floor, but again very very hard to notice.

Looking at some test pattern the Jvc seems to have a better lens but while watching movies the reality creation do a better job than the MPC.

Regarding colors Jvc has a wider gamut with the filter inserted, but this takes away so much light (20%) that is almost useless. Without the filter Sony regain the lead.

Fan noise is bearable on high lamp with Sony, I can not say the same with N7. In high lamp mode the fan is VERY noisy. Looks like an airplane during take off, great downside for me.

My wife that is ad “advanced” casual viewer could not see any difference at all between the two projectors.

A customer who visited the store one hour before me and had the same shootout bought the 695ES (they have the same price here in Europe).

I personally could not decide. They look almost the same and both projectors exhibit a stunning picture.

I was considering the Jvc because it has more calibration option but also because I like to run projectors in low lamp mode (for the noise). On my installation in low lamp mode I have the Sony with 47 Nits (that is ok now but when the lamp will lose light?) and I think I could get more than 60Nits with Jvc and maybe close a bit the manual iris (rising the contrast) and reopen it while the lamp lose light with use.

The fan noise scare me a lot, it is very noisy with Jvc while bearable on Sony when I watch HDR movie.

I was expecting to find a great difference between the two projectors instead it is a very tough choice.

I read a lot of bad comments in this forum regarding the poor black and contrast on Sony Projectors and after this shootout I can certainly say that they are unfounded and misleading.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3024 Post(s)
Liked: 2232
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesTrevi View Post
The technicians before my arrival measured 18.000 contrast for Sony and about 19.000 contrast for Jvc (with both zoom lens at max and Jvc with manual iris full open), so they are very close.
Did you compare the dynamic contrast systems of both projectors?
post #153 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
I had a chance to spend an hour with both the Jvc N7 and the Sony 695ES (570ES here in Europe).

We were in a light controlled room and the projectors were placed at 7 mt. (23 feet) from the screen.

We had to switch from one to the other, it was not possible to run them together at the same time to split the screen.

I personally own a Sony 695ES and I was considering switching to the N7. I previously owned both JVC and Sony projectors.

I had my i1 Display pro that I brought to measure the light on screen but there was not time to calibrate the projectors.

So I set the Sony to Reference profile, D65 color balance, Gamma 2.2, dynamic iris on to full.

The Jvc to Natural profile, 6500K color balance, Gamma 2.2, auto iris 2, manual iris full open.

Regarding the light on screen I measured the Sony to have 37 Nits in low lamp mode and 63 Nits in high lamp mode. The Jvc was at 50 Nits in low lamp and 62 in High lamp. So at high lamp both projectors have the same light output.

We compared the two projectors with Sony in high lamp and Jvc in low lamp to match the brightness.

We looked at some SDR material (no HDR): Dark Knight returns (motorbike chase), Oblivion (library scene) and Paradise beach (sos flare scene).

Well it’s very hard to find some differences between the two. The contrast look almost the same with both projector exhibiting a very pleasing deep black.

I could really not see any significant difference in contrast. Maybe the Sony looked a little bit more contrasty in some scene while the Jvc exhibited a slightly better black floor, but again very very hard to notice.

Looking at some test pattern the Jvc seems to have a better lens but while watching movies the reality creation do a better job than the MPC.

Regarding colors Jvc has a wider gamut with the filter inserted, but this takes away so much light (20%) that is almost useless. Without the filter Sony regain the lead.

Fan noise is bearable on high lamp with Sony, I can not say the same with N7. In high lamp mode the fan is VERY noisy. Looks like an airplane during take off, great downside for me.

My wife that is ad “advanced” casual viewer could not see any difference at all between the two projectors.

A customer who visited the store one hour before me and had the same shootout bought the 695ES (they have the same price here in Europe).

I personally could not decide. They look almost the same and both projectors exhibit a stunning picture.

I was considering the Jvc because it has more calibration option but also because I like to run projectors in low lamp mode (for the noise). On my installation in low lamp mode I have the Sony with 47 Nits (that is ok now but when the lamp will lose light?) and I think I could get more than 60Nits with Jvc and maybe close a bit the manual iris (rising the contrast) and reopen it while the lamp lose light with use.

The fan noise scare me a lot, it is very noisy with Jvc while bearable on Sony when I watch HDR movie.

I was expecting to find a great difference between the two projectors instead it is a very tough choice.

I read a lot of bad comments in this forum regarding the poor black and contrast on Sony Projectors and after this shootout I can certainly say that they are unfounded and misleading.

Hope this helps.
What is the price difference.. if they both look the same i would just go with JVC plus it has the tone mapping..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
I'm also have previously owned both Sony and JVC projectors, now I'm having Sony VW1100 and I ordered JVC RS3000 to replace it.
So, I never will be back to Sony because of their very dissapointing issue - so called SXRD degradation.
Sony VW1100 had a great picture quality out of the box, but few hundred lamp hours later contrast and colors start very noticealbe fading away, and after 1500 hours It become impossible to color calibrate the unit and I measured about 1500:1 native on/off contrast. Out of the box it was about 15000:1 native on/off with the same screen and enviroment.
As far is I know - Sony never admitted this issue, but I they replaced optical block of my unit twice(!), and now when It's out of warranty with the third optical block issue are the same.
Because of that looks like this problem affects most of the SXRD units, it's never been totally elliminated for the old projectors series, and there is no confidence that this degradation doesn't affect new models.

So, I think make sense to do second test after 1000-1500 lamp hours on both Sony and JVC units, maybe difference will be much bigger, specially in contrast.
Until the test like this - I'm not risking to purchase Sony projector and do not advise on anyone iether.
Jive Turkey and DigitalAV like this.
post #155 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Did you compare the dynamic contrast systems of both projectors?
Not me personally but the professional technician measured an almost equal contrast with both projectors at max zoom.
post #156 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
What is the price difference.. if they both look the same i would just go with JVC plus it has the tone mapping..
There is no price difference, both cost the same. I already own a 695ES and I have a Panasonic UB9000 for tone mapping.
post #157 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Василий Пупкинг View Post
So, I never will be back to Sony because of their very dissapointing issue - so called SXRD degradation.
I know, I had the same problem. The reseller swore to me that in the latest model they have not found anymore degradation.
post #158 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
There is no price difference, both cost the same. I already own a 695ES and I have a Panasonic UB9000 for tone mapping.
In your case wait another week or two for arrows reviews to start coming in.. Hes reviews are extremely fair.. Another two weeks is not going to kill you but it can kill your pockets.. lol
post #159 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I know, I had the same problem. The reseller swore to me that in the latest model they have not found anymore degradation.
Well, my dealer sworn to me that problem is solved after every optical block replacement)

How many lamp hours do you have at your 695ES?
There is no signs of degradation by now?
post #160 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Василий Пупкинг View Post
How many lamp hours do you have at your 695ES?
There is no signs of degradation by now?
100 hours. Too soon maybe. My dealer has a lot of trade in for projectors so they measure every time the used projectors, from what they say they haven't seen anymore the degradation after the 3rd 4k Sony generation.

Also there is a potential risk that Jvc may have a similar problem...who knows?...after all it's their debut in the real 4k line.
DigitalAV and SpykeSIK like this.
post #161 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
100 hours. Too soon maybe. My dealer has a lot of trade in for projectors so they measure every time the used projectors, from what they say they haven't seen anymore the degradation after the 3rd 4k Sony generation.

Also there is a potential risk that Jvc may have a similar problem...who knows?...after all it's their debut in the real 4k line.
In my case I start to notice changes at PQ about from 500 hours.

If I remember right - SXRD degradation issue also affected old Sony 1080p projectors, so I think that reason is not 4k resolution but a flаw at SXRD technology itself.
Also, I heard about this issue from VW5000 owners, don't know that generation It belongs to. Though maybe its not so dramatic like at VW1100.

JVC projectors from other side as far as I know always had stable image quality thru the years of usage.

This degradation are very unpleasant ussue, seeing the picture quality slowly drops, and also it is difficult to prove your dealer that something wrong with the unit (at my experience anyway).

I'm sincerely hope that Sony did solved that problem and your unit is allrigth.
I'll be very gratefull if you will give some more feedback after 1000-1500 hours.
DigitalAV likes this.
post #162 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Quoted: 12681 Post(s)
Liked: 10314
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

Hope this helps.
Something does not add up. You said they measured 63 nits in high on the Sony and 62 nits in high on the JVC. So high lamp would match up well between them, but the comparison was made with Sony in high and JVC in low, so that brightness could match. Sounds like the JVC was at a severe disadvantage, running low lamp 50 nits vs 63 nits on the Sony.
DigitalAV and llang269 like this.
post #163 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Not me personally but the professional technician measured an almost equal contrast with both projectors at max zoom.
That was not the question. He asked if the dynamic dimming system was turned on, on the JVC. You stated that it was on, on the Sony, but did not state if it was on, on the JVC. Also the JVC was measured in it's worst case.
post #164 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Then you are shopping in the wrong place.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #165 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Something does not add up. You said they measured 63 nits in high on the Sony and 62 nits in high on the JVC. So high lamp would match up well between them, but the comparison was made with Sony in high and JVC in low, so that brightness could match. Sounds like the JVC was at a severe disadvantage, running low lamp 50 nits vs 63 nits on the Sony.
I was also scratching my head on this one... Doesn't add up (for a fair head to head comparison).
Craig Peer and llang269 like this.
post #166 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:

JVC debuted their first native 4K projector at CEDIA in 208. Sold that model commercially for several years. Then at CEDIA 2016, JVC showed their second generation native 4K projector, RS4500. These new models are 3rd generation. None of JVC's have ever had a contrast degradation problem.
llang269 likes this.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 02-02-2019 at 10:31 AM.
post #167 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked: 4754
Quote:
Quote:
Mike, he is in Europe

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #168 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Sounds like the JVC was at a severe disadvantage, running low lamp 50 nits vs 63 nits on the Sony.
Yes you are right but as I wrote I was there to see the jvc in low lamp as I'd like to use it at home in that way, the Sony was too dimmed in low lamp (one reason I'd like to change it).
DigitalAV likes this.
post #169 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
That was not the question. He asked if the dynamic dimming system was turned on, on the JVC. You stated that it was on, on the Sony, but did not state if it was on, on the JVC. Also the JVC was measured in it's worst case.
They measured native contrast. During vision they both had dynamic iris on (auto 2 for Jvc).
DigitalAV likes this.
post #170 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7102 Post(s)
Liked: 8430
Quote:

I've had my JVC RS4500 ( native 4K ) since Feb. of 2017. Just FYI.
DigitalAV likes this.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #171 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 7102 Post(s)
Liked: 8430
Quote:

Jeff Meier

@homecinema Guru
Following Following @homecinema Guru
More
Client's VPL-VW295ES showed blue panel degradation of SXRD after only 70 hours of operation.😧

8:07 AM - 1 Feb 2019

https://twitter.com/HomeCinemaGuru

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
post #172 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I've had my JVC RS4500 ( native 4K ) since Feb. of 2017. Just FYI.
You are right, my mistake
post #173 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Quote:

Jeff Meier

@homecinema Guru
More
Client's VPL-VW295ES showed blue panel degradation of SXRD after only 70 hours of operation.😧

Just some hypothetical observations? Has anyone seen degradation in the 4500, with laser as the lightsource? I can't remember any.
The chances of the panels being the same panels as in the 4500 are very high, although I don't know what the delta is between the static operating temps in the real world is.

Jeff Meier has a disclaimer on his page currently saying he will not work on Sony projectors or Samsung QLEDs:

"We do not work on Sony SXRD projection products at this time because of very poor product durability. We do not work on Samsung QLED displays."

If you trust this man as many have said, this post speak volumes based on that experience.
DigitalAV likes this.

Last edited by tehotaone; 02-02-2019 at 12:42 PM.
post #174 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
Quote:
Spoiler!

Hope this helps.
Oh no, a positive Sony review AND someone not praising the Emperor's new beamer.

Here we go.
SpykeSIK likes this.
post #175 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Mike, he is in Europe
That explains it.
post #176 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
In Europe, the Sony VW695ES and the JVC DLA-NX7 are both 8,000 EUR (approx $9,166).

By contrast, in the US - the Sony is $10,000 and the JVC is $8,000.
post #177 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Oh no, a positive Sony review AND someone not praising the Emperor's new beamer.

Here we go.
Only negative (not by me) I see brought up about the Sony was the degrading contrast and the guy you quoted said he experienced that with his earlier Sony projector. The rest of the questions were just trying to clarify if they were compared apples to apples. That is why he was asked about the dynamic iris on the JVC. Poster clarified dynamic iris was on. But poster did confirm that the JVC was in low lamp and the Sony was in high lamp. So not really an apples to apple comparison. Would have been nice if compared with both on high, along with what was done. I will say, if I had a VW695, I would not be replacing it with an NX7. Not enough difference to justify making that move. Both are really good projectors.
post #178 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Mike have you seen the N7 yet?
post #179 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked: 4754
Quote:
Jeff Meier

@homecinema Guru
More

My 295ES has 80 hours already and no blue panel degradation. My VW40 and HW40ES showed some blue panel degradation after 200 hours, though.

I know people with 285s and 385s with more than 1500 hours operation and none of them have reported blue panel degradation.
DigitalAV and Aztar35 like this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |

Last edited by enricoclaudio; 02-02-2019 at 01:31 PM.
post #180 of 2791 Old 02-02-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 497 Post(s)
Quoted: 6933 Post(s)
Liked: 6640
If I had a 695 I would probably not replace it at this time with the N7, too similar. Contrast in only a few scenarios will be just about the only difference.

Forget about the tone mapping if you have the Panasonic it's going to be far superior anyway.
Spizz, woofer, Bytehoven and 1 others like this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
2019 , Epson , Jvc , Projectors , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page