BenQ HT9060 / x12000h Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 205Likes
post #361 of 372 Unread 07-09-2019, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Currently debating whether to get the Sony 695ES or the BenQ HT9060. It's for a dedicated room - no windows, black velvet ceiling, black carpet, dark grey velvet walls. Is the HT9060 too bright for a nearly blacked out room? Is this where it's weakness (black level) is most noticeable? Third runner up is JVC RS 2000, but that's a distant runner up. The projector use is primarily movie viewing (99.9 percent). Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 372 Unread 07-10-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11803 Post(s)
Liked: 9342
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by tut2sc View Post
Currently debating whether to get the Sony 695ES or the BenQ HT9060. It's for a dedicated room - no windows, black velvet ceiling, black carpet, dark grey velvet walls. Is the HT9060 too bright for a nearly blacked out room? Is this where it's weakness (black level) is most noticeable? Third runner up is JVC RS 2000, but that's a distant runner up. The projector use is primarily movie viewing (99.9 percent). Thoughts?
All three have about the same brightness. The BenQ will hold its brightness longer due to the LED's. The JVC has the higher contrast, followed by the Sony. The BenQ will probably be the sharpest, followed by the JVC. The BenQ and the JVC have the widest color space for HDR. The JVC has the better HDR tone mapping. The Sony and JVC have lens memory for zoom method on a scope screen. All three support anamorphic lens. All three are good projectors. What is your room like?
tut2sc likes this.
post #363 of 372 Unread 07-10-2019, 10:07 AM

No need for anamorphic lens given the screen we have (120 inches). Also, we have a HUGE Blu Ray collection , so definitely extremely concerned about SDR performance. Depending on the film, we sometime turn off the "star ceiling" for viewing. We currently have the Marantz VP 11s2 which we've had since it came out (replaced the bulb once and down to 100 hours left on current bulb). I've attached a picture of the room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4101.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	2589414  
SOWK likes this.

Last edited by tut2sc; 07-10-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 372 Unread 07-10-2019, 08:01 PM

One more thing... since I've been living in the SDR world for so long, I'm sadly not knowledgeable about HDR. So it is my understanding that the projector performs differently and specifically for HDR vs SDR content - and any normal Blu Ray or DVD is considered SDR? Apologies for the ignorance!
post #365 of 372 Unread 07-10-2019, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
You probably should try to demo both from a dealer that will let you test them in your home theater, as they are very different looking projectors. There are a few former VW695ES owners in this thread that sold their 695ES after demoing the HT9060 in their own light controlled theater, but there are others that prefer a projector with deeper blacks like the Sony.

One of the BenQ main advantages is how its LED lightsource holds high brightness for 20,000hr which is many times longer than a traditional lamp that would need to be in high brightness mode to compete. The Sony has higher on/off contrast, though, so the black levels will be deeper. Still, with 4K HDR content some prefer the punch of the HT9060's sharpness & brightness (the HT9060 will be perceptually brightest of the three due to HK effect & no significant lumens loss in DCI-P3 mode). It depends what your personal preference is.
tut2sc and Aztar35 like this.
post #366 of 372 Unread 07-11-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11803 Post(s)
Liked: 9342
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawiguy998 View Post
My Dealer just got a 9060 in for me to preview. It's set-up with a panamorph lens as well. We will be outputting via a Panasonic 820 I believe, so bluray only. Can anyone offer some quick settings to get a good look at this thing?

Much Appreciated!
If you are wanting the wider color space of 4K HDR, then you will have to let the projector do the tone mapping, rather than the Panasonic. If the Panasonic does the HDR tone mapping, you are limited to Rec709.
post #367 of 372 Unread 07-12-2019, 05:14 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 2111
Quote:
No need for anamorphic lens given the screen we have (120 inches). Also, we have a HUGE Blu Ray collection , so definitely extremely concerned about SDR performance. Depending on the film, we sometime turn off the "star ceiling" for viewing. We currently have the Marantz VP 11s2 which we've had since it came out (replaced the bulb once and down to 100 hours left on current bulb). I've attached a picture of the room.

Beautiful room!!!!

Either projector should be a decent step up from the Marantz VP-11S2 (Although that is one of my all time favorite projectors!)

SDR performance on both with be similar TBH.

HDR performance is where most projectors start to really separate themselves now.

Bottom line for SDR is the Sony's will likely have slightly better blacks, and the rest of the picture quality elements would likely favor the BenQ 9060 in my honest opinion.
tut2sc likes this.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
post #368 of 372 Unread 07-12-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post
Beautiful room!!!!

Either projector should be a decent step up from the Marantz VP-11S2 (Although that is one of my all time favorite projectors!)

SDR performance on both with be similar TBH.

HDR performance is where most projectors start to really separate themselves now.

Bottom line for SDR is the Sony's will likely have slightly better blacks, and the rest of the picture quality elements would likely favor the BenQ 9060 in my honest opinion.

Thanks for the props! I'm definitely leaning towards the BenQ. I need to see if I can find a place to demo in LA!
post #369 of 372 Unread 07-12-2019, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 70
What ceiling or wall mount are you all using for your HT9060? What would you recommend.

Thanks!

post #370 of 372 Unread 07-12-2019, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyjake View Post
What ceiling or wall mount are you all using for your HT9060? What would you recommend. Thanks!
I use this, it's specific to Benq and some newer JVC projectors:
https://www.legrandav.com/Products/C...ing/RPA/RPA281

If you already have a ceiling plate and 1.5" downrod with male thread, then that will work with this mount. Chief sells these mounts ala carte, so you can customize your mounts as per your need.

Audio: Bryston SP4 | NAD M27
Video: BenQ HT9060 | Stewart Cima | Custom HTPC | Sony UBP-X800M2
Speakers: B&W CM10 S2, CM Center 2 S2, 4 x DS3 | 4 x SVS SB4000
Acoustic treatment: GSK Acoustics
Furniture: Middle Atlantic RSC rack |
Seatcraft recliners | Sound Anchors
post #371 of 372 Unread 07-12-2019, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 363
You could also try to have a JVC RS2000 demo before making your final decision.

I have own a Sony 675 and even if I really like this projector, the overall image quality is better on my new NX7/RS2000. The black is deeper, better lens so naturally sharper and better HDR and better REC2020 coverage. Allow yourself the time to see a well setup demo and you would not regret it. The JVC RS2000 black performance are so good compare to other options and will make a huge difference in darker movies like Star Wars, Star Treck, etc.
markmon1 and Aztar35 like this.
post #372 of 372 Unread Yesterday, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Hello,

I've just recently received my new HT9060. I have 2 concerns. The projector is on a shelf about 2 feet below ceiling level. It's shooting quite a bit of light on the ceiling about 2 feet in front of the projector which appears to be coming from the lens itself. Also when there is no signal to the projector the image is pink. In the photo below you can see this. Are these two things normal? Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/n8N5hdw

Last edited by flyguyjake; Yesterday at 12:22 PM. Reason: photo not appearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP