BenQ HT9060 / x12000h Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 190Likes

post #31 of 358 Old 01-25-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I am going to be getting a 9060 for review at some point in the near future. With the 9050 I could hear the buzz of the LED light engine on occasion, but never during normal use with audio going. Still disappointing that BenQ isn't using some kind of motorized lens system at this price point.
Kris, what I find odd is that it seems your 9050 sample was buzzing as the active dimming was in operation. I had the 9050 with the latest firmware (Smarteco engaged) and there was no smart/active dimming going on.

Further, your sample was able to achieve a dynamic contrast ratio of about 4,000:1. Both 9050s I had (had a replacement due to unrelated issue) barely measured over 900:1. This leads me to believe your sample may have had a beta algo installed that was not released in the U.S., maybe? Your thoughts?

Also, thanks to SVT for his fine reporting and the photos by the way. Congratulations to him. The lens and processor on the 9050 were fantastic, I'll say that much. So it appears BenQ has done something with its HDR PRO TM in HDR to bring down blacks but the dimming seems to be not unlike what I experienced with the 9050, at least from this report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 358 Old 01-25-2019, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie View Post
For the size of it I’d expect it to be almost silent. I am guessing the firmware is not user upgradable. This thing is awfully big to take up and down and mail somewhere for an updated algorithm.

I watched some of pulp fiction and the dark knight. Also some OTA broadcasts with straight mpeg2 feeds. Incredibly sharp and awesome picture no question. If reviewed on street price vs msrp no question this is a winner.

Especially if compared to JVC where bulbs are $500 a pop. I am a pretty discerning person and very particular. Granted I need more than an hour or two to make an informed review but IMO the black level is satisfactory and only bothered me a handful of times maybe because I was sitting here hyper focused on finding black scenes. To be honest not being totally black and seeing some details is actually nice.

If Kris gets one in and calibrates it in HDR mode it will probably be better.

To sum up. Very pleased. I will give more feedback after another few days of watching and tweaking.

I will take the lens off at some point and verify the light bleed.
Again, a big congrats. Enjoy it!
post #33 of 358 Old 01-26-2019, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Maybe smarteco function is working only in HDR mode, there should be a visible difference though on dark scenes when compared to normal. Try toggling between them on HDR mode to see if u see a difference there, maybe something else is causing the better blacks.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 358 Old 01-26-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnaik4 View Post
Maybe smarteco function is working only in HDR mode, there should be a visible difference though on dark scenes when compared to normal. Try toggling between them on HDR mode to see if u see a difference there, maybe something else is causing the better blacks.
Maybe, a DCI filter is used when in HDR mode, which would reduce global brightness and reduce black level...
post #35 of 358 Old 01-26-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulnight View Post
Maybe, a DCI filter is used when in HDR mode, which would reduce global brightness and reduce black level...
Light source is native p3 doesn't need filter
post #36 of 358 Old 01-26-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5225 Post(s)
Liked: 5465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Kris, what I find odd is that it seems your 9050 sample was buzzing as the active dimming was in operation. I had the 9050 with the latest firmware (Smarteco engaged) and there was no smart/active dimming going on.

Further, your sample was able to achieve a dynamic contrast ratio of about 4,000:1. Both 9050s I had (had a replacement due to unrelated issue) barely measured over 900:1. This leads me to believe your sample may have had a beta algo installed that was not released in the U.S., maybe? Your thoughts?
The star scene looks like it could be in the 900:1 range. it looks similar to a DLP I have here that has ~800:1 native.

curious to see the measurements Kris finds.

@svtdougie - correct, these are not user upgradeable and would need to be sent in for updates.
post #37 of 358 Old 01-26-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulnight View Post
Quote:
Yes true, in that case he should see a difference in black level even if its not much between normal and eco since u lose like 25% brightness .

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #38 of 358 Old 01-26-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The star scene looks like it could be in the 900:1 range. it looks similar to a DLP I have here that has ~800:1 native.

@svtdougie - correct, these are not user upgradeable and would need to be sent in for updates.

It could be. This machine sounds incredible for 3D with its colorspark LEDs' brightness, color capability, and the sharpness of of lens.

Quote:
Yes true, in that case he should see a difference in black level even if its not much between normal and eco since u lose like 25% brightness .
These LEDs achieve wide color on their own, natively, without a filter. I'm thinking if the blacks are better in HDR, it can also be subjective... due to the gamma curve. But I'm not sure until I know more about what it's doing in HDR.
post #39 of 358 Old 01-26-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Quote:

To be honest those pics looks washed out, he said before he has 20% light in the room so not sure if those pics are with lights fully off, maybe due to the white ceiling, but in my bat cave the LK970 looks a lot better in such scenes, ill try to take similar pics tonight.
Spizz and Dave Harper like this.

JVC DLA X590/RS440
BenQ LK970
post #40 of 358 Old 01-26-2019, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 973
I have been enjoying the discussion on these new benq projectors. Feels like we are at a benchmark in the development of lower cost solid state projectors, which hopefully not only continue to drop in cost, but also continue to improve upon image reproduction.

Thanks to all of you who are bringing your advanced tinkering skills to bare on these products.

While i am hoping to remain satisfied with my jvc x990 for awhile longer, i'd welcome the oppourtunity of not giving jvc another $$$ in protest of their horriffic quality control record and sketchy customer support.

Dave Harper likes this.
post #41 of 358 Old 01-26-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Amazing Customer Service Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
I have been enjoying the discussion on these new benq projectors. Feels like we are at a benchmark in the development of lower cost solid state projectors, which hopefully not only continue to drop in cost, but also continue to improve upon image reproduction.
I had the BenQ HT9050 and it was so sharp. I contact BenQ customer service with an issue though and BenQ was top-notch. The evaluation process was quick, and they sent out a new projector which I received at my door before they even received the other one, which of course they did receive later.

I have to say, the company is sitting on a high-end projector gold mine with this LED platform, processor, and that lens. Going by the 9050, I feel that if BenQ can get the dynamic black level down a bit and contrast in the 8,000:1 range (the LED Vivitek H9090 with a little over 1K:1 native can do this and more), BenQ would likely see even more people going forward and buying the latest version of the machine.

I can't wait to see measurements on the 9060.
Kevin Snyder and 12GAGE like this.
post #42 of 358 Old 01-26-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To be honest those pics looks washed out, he said before he has 20% light in the room so not sure if those pics are with lights fully off, maybe due to the white ceiling, but in my bat cave the LK970 looks a lot better in such scenes, ill try to take similar pics tonight.
SVT did say also that these were out of the box, with no calibration. I recall that the 9050 I had, for example, had a slight green cast to the image, and that gave blacks a lighter appearance in some scenes.
post #43 of 358 Old 01-26-2019, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1721
Quote:
It could be. This machine sounds incredible for 3D with its colorspark LEDs' brightness, color capability, and the sharpness of of lens.

These LEDs achieve wide color on their own, natively, without a filter. I'm thinking if the blacks are better in HDR, it can also be subjective... due to the gamma curve. But I'm not sure until I know more about what it's doing in HDR.

I agree. My blacks appear darker with HDR content on the LK970.
Aztar35 likes this.
post #44 of 358 Old 01-27-2019, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Was busy this weekend and had to dismantle my av gear for an upgrade but got the HT9060 back up tonight. The more I watch the more impressed I am.

I sampled some ozarks, lost in space and daredevil 4K hdr streaming and it looked really good.

I had LEGO movie my kids bought in 4K hdr iTunes and it looked almost 3D like.

Also did some Martian and dark knight. Both very impressive.

TV looks great too. I still haven’t calibrated anything but did play with brightness and contrast a bit to see the trade offs. I found somewhere between 44-48 on brightness seems about right. I tried the settings posted on one of the reviews sites for the 9050 shut they looked quite a bit worse. So went back to stock cinema.

Really loving this thing. Just a note on brightness. I don’t think for my screen I would need any more brightness and in blacked out nighttime viewing smart eco sometimes seems too bright. Refresher my screen is 1.16 gain but someone in this thread thought it was closer to .98 and it is 115” wide.

As of tonight I am giving this a highly recommended.
Ruined likes this.
post #45 of 358 Old 01-29-2019, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I was watching bits of the martian last night and picked up a hint of RBE when I turned my head to look at something. So I can say it is not 100% without Rainbow effect but it is still so minimal it is a non factor. I watched Everest 4k HDR with Dolby Atmos sound (checking out my atmos installation) and it was superb. The picture is stunning, relaxed and overall very enjoyable. I have not seen the LK970/990 but I am not sure how I would want the projector any brighter. I think this is the clear choice for at least semi light controlled rooms.

Positives again:

*crystal clear. Literally as clear as my reference Sony full array LED

*picture is natural. Can be watched for hours without fatigue.

*solid state. This can't be overstated. Never have to change a bulb and will be just 25% less bright 10,000 hours and half as bright at 20,0000

Negatives again:

*zoom range seems odd. The projector is 16' from the screen and I can't zoom it in any more and it bleeds about .5" off of my screen. I don't really want to move the mount but for reference both the UHZ65 and the PTAE2000 I had were somewhere closer to mid point where my mount is.

*size of the projector is growing on me. It looks pretty sweet hanging there but it weighs so much with my anamorphic lens I haven't figured how to permanently keep it straight

*fan noise. It is quieter than the UHZ65 by about 30% but I can still hear it during quiet scenes if I focus on it.

*side connections. really? now I have to run wires to the side then up my ceiling. My mount and wire system was built for rear connections. This is odd

*dyanic iris. could be much more aggressive.

*firmware. if they come up with a more aggressive mode I will have to take it down and mail it back. really? no internet update in 2019. ridiculous.
post #46 of 358 Old 01-29-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

IMO if you have to move your head around to trigger a hint of it that's not really considered rainbow effect. Rainbow effect is when you see rainbow artifacts just normally watching content.

I think they used side connections because the projector was so long they were afraid some couldn't use it in preexisting mounts if put on the back due to rear wall proximity.

Last edited by Ruined; 01-29-2019 at 03:30 PM.
post #47 of 358 Old 01-29-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie View Post
I was watching bits of the martian last night and picked up a hint of RBE when I turned my head to look at something. So I can say it is not 100% without Rainbow effect but it is still so minimal it is a non factor. I watched Everest 4k HDR with Dolby Atmos sound (checking out my atmos installation) and it was superb. The picture is stunning, relaxed and overall very enjoyable. I have not seen the LK970/990 but I am not sure how I would want the projector any brighter. I think this is the clear choice for at least semi light controlled rooms..........
So if you’ve never seen the LK970 or LK990, then how can the HT9060 then be the ”clear choice”? Choice between what exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
IMO if you have to move your head around to trigger a hint of it that's not really considered rainbow effect. Rainbow effect is when you see rainbow artifacts just normally watching content........

Oh great, then I can effectively say that my LK970 has no RBE either!
post #48 of 358 Old 02-03-2019, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I am in the market for a new projector to replace my 8yr old Epson. I have narrowed my choice to the following:
1. Sony VPL-VW385ES
2. Benq HT9060
3. JVC DLA-NX7

While I see that Sony and JVC both use the word "native" 4k in their description, it is apparently missing from the Benq specifications. Add to that, they call HT9060 a "true 4k" and its cheaper sibling HT 8060 a "4k projector". Can someone confirm if HT9060 is indeed native 4k?

Audio: Bryston SP4 | NAD M27
Video: BenQ HT9060 | Stewart Cima | Custom HTPC | Sony UBP-X800M2
Speakers: B&W CM10 S2, CM Center 2 S2, 4 x DS3 | 4 x SVS SB4000
Acoustic treatment: GSK Acoustics
Furniture: Middle Atlantic RSC rack |
Seatcraft recliners | Sound Anchors
post #49 of 358 Old 02-03-2019, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankmittal View Post
I am in the market for a new projector to replace my 8yr old Epson. I have narrowed my choice to the following:
1. Sony VPL-VW385ES
2. Benq HT9060
3. JVC DLA-NX7

While I see that Sony and JVC both use the word "native" 4k in their description, it is apparently missing from the Benq specifications. Add to that, they call HT9060 a "true 4k" and its cheaper sibling HT 8060 a "4k projector". Can someone confirm if HT9060 is indeed native 4k?
No it is not native 4K, there are no affordable native 4K DLPs. It is a pixel shifter, but apparently still produces a sharp picture.

JVC DLA-RS500
post #50 of 358 Old 02-04-2019, 04:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hi there!

I'm a long time fan of my BenQ w1070 in a dedicated cinema room with 120" 16:9 hand built spandex screen (acoustically transparent), and about to finally replaced it with something 4K DCI-P3 this year.

I'm very ok with what I've read of the colour, contrast, sharpness and POP from the HT9060, but what no one has talked about and is the biggest issue to me on any display device these days... is panning stutter and fast motion judder with 24p content.

I have a 65" Sony A8F OLED in the family room and it has the best motion resolution and lowest panning stutter I've ever seen on a display device since CRT's and Plasma's disappeared.. It's not perfect, but gee, even in Cinema Pro native 24p mode it runs rings around any other display devices in my home.
My 38" 3840x1600 (21:9) IPS monitor at 75Hz with MadVR smooth motion is the next best performer with this issue, the W1070 is atrocious at 24p and @ 60hz with MadVR smooth motion it's too blurry!!

For reference I'm also considering a DLA-NX7 as well..

Incase you're wondering what type of issue im talking about, as there's lot's of different meanings and interpretations of stutter and judder, I mean this > https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/stutter

So the big question is, what is the HT9060 motion resolution and motion handing like with 24p film, and especially, what does the 24p panning stutter and fast moving object judder look like?

I can live with lower native contrast if a device has better motion handling, but I just cant bring myself to buy any projector that hasnt progressed from 5 years ago on the 24p panning stutter and motion resolution... no matter what the price!

So... do tell.. How good is it????? - I imagine because of the pixel shifting there is potential for improvement in perceived motion smoothness because the frame hold time could be made longer, i would imagine this is better for reducing judder and stutter from 24p films... Thoughts?
It could go the other way and make it worse too because maybe the pixel shifters faster switching rate makes it worse... ???? PS. I like native 24p and have tried various different methods to improve motion including MadVR smoothing @ 60hz and SVP Pro 4 FI but i always go back to native 24p and put up with occasional panning stutter, rather than unnatural FI or ghosting from smoothing.... (with the exception of my 75Hz monitor where MadVR smooth motion is perfect)

Last edited by Phatboy69; 02-04-2019 at 05:52 AM.
post #51 of 358 Old 02-04-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDesigns View Post
No it is not native 4K, there are no affordable native 4K DLPs. It is a pixel shifter, but apparently still produces a sharp picture.
You made me curious, so I shot an email to BenQ support. They confirmed that this is a true 4k projector with no pixel shifting.

post #52 of 358 Old 02-04-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You made me curious, so I shot an email to BenQ support. They confirmed that this is a true 4k projector with no pixel shifting.
Frankly that's false info BenQ support is giving out. While it produces an image that looks just as good as native 4k LCOS it still uses pixel shifting to get there... And hence would still be beat by a native 4k single chip DLP DMD, currently only available in 1.38" size.

It's technically impossible for this projector to be native 4k as no native 4k DMD exists in the size required for the lens in this projector.

Last edited by Ruined; 02-04-2019 at 09:40 AM.
post #53 of 358 Old 02-04-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Frankly that's false info BenQ support is giving out. While it produces an image that looks just as good as native 4k LCOS it still uses pixel shifting to get there... And hence would still be beat by a native 4k single chip DLP DMD, currently only available in 1.38" size.

It's technically impossible for this projector to be native 4k as no native 4k DMD exists in the size required for the lens in this projector.
Hmm...okay, I see what you are saying. It "seems" that it uses Ti's DLP660TE chip, which has a 2716 x 1528 resolution. The Optoma UHZ65 spec page is another example where they are listing these DLP projectors as native 4k.

post #54 of 358 Old 02-04-2019, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatboy69 View Post
Hi there!

I'm a long time fan of my BenQ w1070 in a dedicated cinema room with 120" 16:9 hand built spandex screen (acoustically transparent), and about to finally replaced it with something 4K DCI-P3 this year.

I'm very ok with what I've read of the colour, contrast, sharpness and POP from the HT9060, but what no one has talked about and is the biggest issue to me on any display device these days... is panning stutter and fast motion judder with 24p content.

I have a 65" Sony A8F OLED in the family room and it has the best motion resolution and lowest panning stutter I've ever seen on a display device since CRT's and Plasma's disappeared.. It's not perfect, but gee, even in Cinema Pro native 24p mode it runs rings around any other display devices in my home.
My 38" 3840x1600 (21:9) IPS monitor at 75Hz with MadVR smooth motion is the next best performer with this issue, the W1070 is atrocious at 24p and @ 60hz with MadVR smooth motion it's too blurry!!

For reference I'm also considering a DLA-NX7 as well..

Incase you're wondering what type of issue im talking about, as there's lot's of different meanings and interpretations of stutter and judder, I mean this > https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/stutter

So the big question is, what is the HT9060 motion resolution and motion handing like with 24p film, and especially, what does the 24p panning stutter and fast moving object judder look like?

I can live with lower native contrast if a device has better motion handling, but I just cant bring myself to buy any projector that hasnt progressed from 5 years ago on the 24p panning stutter and motion resolution... no matter what the price!

So... do tell.. How good is it????? - I imagine because of the pixel shifting there is potential for improvement in perceived motion smoothness because the frame hold time could be made longer, i would imagine this is better for reducing judder and stutter from 24p films... Thoughts?
It could go the other way and make it worse too because maybe the pixel shifters faster switching rate makes it worse... ???? PS. I like native 24p and have tried various different methods to improve motion including MadVR smoothing @ 60hz and SVP Pro 4 FI but i always go back to native 24p and put up with occasional panning stutter, rather than unnatural FI or ghosting from smoothing.... (with the exception of my 75Hz monitor where MadVR smooth motion is perfect)
Motion is my biggest concern as well.... the link to the report on motion is really informative foe sure.

I have a 1080P DLP projector and two Pionner Elite Plasmas... all handle motion well... shocking in the report is ALL the OLEDs are at the bottom from motion... when all you read is how OLED is the BEST picture ever.... my Sister replced the 43 inch ELite Plasma with a B7 an it is terrible for motion.

I do not want to make the same mistake when I replace my 1080P projector with a 2160P projector... would be nice if ALL projectors were subject to the same test criteria so the buyers could see which ones perform the best.. I would also give up contrast or better blacks in order to have a smooth clear image free of motion issues.
post #55 of 358 Old 02-04-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BenQ added some features related to motion smoothness this year in the HT9060 so it should be an improvement to previous similar BenQ projectors in this regard.

But this is the sort of thing where you need to see it yourself to see if it meets your personal standard.
post #56 of 358 Old 02-04-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Hmm...okay, I see what you are saying. It "seems" that it uses Ti's DLP660TE chip, which has a 2716 x 1528 resolution. The Optoma UHZ65 spec page is another example where they are listing these DLP projectors as native 4k.
Hold on everyone. Shash said BenQ told him it was "true" 4K not that it was "native" 4k and this may be more than semantics.

What it comes down to, and really this is an old discussion, is the definition of 4K. The BenQ can really flash over 8 million pixels on the screen using an actuator, where as a native 4k machine does it all at once and it's slightly more, at 8.8 million pixels. The BenQ using XPR technology has a native resolution of 1528 and with the actuator multiplies that by two. So, the BenQ HT9060's 8.3 million pixels, unlike the Lcos e-shifters that put out around 4 million, meets the definition of true 4K due to the number of pixels it can display. However, the display device is not "native" 4K.

So, if BenQ is going by that criteria, then I can understand that.
post #57 of 358 Old 02-04-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
no pixel shifting.
I would think it's not a simple mirror offset per se...my understanding is that it uses is an actuator that pulses two sets of discrete pixels too quick for the human brain to discern and the human eye sees the pixels as appearing simultaneously.
post #58 of 358 Old 02-04-2019, 10:38 PM

BenQ HT9060 / x12000h Owners Thread

Quote:
I would think it's not a simple mirror offset per se...my understanding is that it uses is an actuator that pulses two sets of discrete pixels too quick for the human brain to discern and the human eye sees the pixels as appearing simultaneously.

It isn’t a tilting mirror offset for the .67” single chip XPR DLPs. Those only use an optical actuator to optically shift the image up and to the right half a pixel with the mirror doing the normal DLP “on/off” tilt thing. This is virtually the same eShift optical actuator as the three panel LCD/LCoS variants use from brands like Epson and JVC.

The .47” DLP XPR single chips version at 1920x1080 native resolution do use pixel wobbling though, with no optical actuator. These take a single 1080p resolution chip and the mirrors tilt all four ways around its axis to produce four 1920x1080 images super fast as to not be seen by the naked eye, similar to how the old video interlacing of 1080i worked with a human’s persistence of vision.

When I put up a full grey field pattern on my LK970 and walk up and pixel peep, I can easily and clearly see every single tiny pixel of the 3840 x 2160 resolution.

The issue is, as had been noted before, each pixel is not 100% addressable on its own. You can see the very slight effect of this when you put up a single pixel checkerboard pattern. Each alternating pixel isn’t distinctly black or white as it should be. Some are white, some are black, some are light grey, some are dark grey. But when you step back and go sit down and watch it, it’s virtually indistinguishable from a native 4K display with fully addressable pixels.

Here is where I personally like it better on the LK970 (and to some extent the UHZ65) over even so called “native 4K” projectors like the Sony SXRDs whereas with the XPR DLP, the image is razor sharp especially if it has a lens as good as the LK970/990 has and being single chip there is no convergence or misalignment issues that plague 3 chippers like the Sonys, Epsons and JVCs of the world. So in the end, an XPR DLP with a great lens like the LK970 actually looks more “4K” to me than the so called “native 4K” machines do, and yes it’s very noticeable in content as well!

The LK970s I’ve had here have an image that is SO much more sharp, deep, detailed and almost 3D than ANY other SXRD, LCoS or LCD I’ve had through here, if that means anything or helps anyone decide if they want to get an XPR “pixel shifter” true 4K DLP (a good lens with no CA is required of course) or a native 4K projector of another technology.
12GAGE likes this.

Last edited by Dave Harper; 02-04-2019 at 10:47 PM.
post #59 of 358 Old 02-05-2019, 12:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Another projector to add to the list to see. Dave How is the fan noise? Any motion judder? How does it do with 50hz material?
post #60 of 358 Old 02-05-2019, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post
Motion is my biggest concern as well.... the link to the report on motion is really informative foe sure.

I have a 1080P DLP projector and two Pionner Elite Plasmas... all handle motion well... shocking in the report is ALL the OLEDs are at the bottom from motion... when all you read is how OLED is the BEST picture ever.... my Sister replced the 43 inch ELite Plasma with a B7 an it is terrible for motion.

I do not want to make the same mistake when I replace my 1080P projector with a 2160P projector... would be nice if ALL projectors were subject to the same test criteria so the buyers could see which ones perform the best.. I would also give up contrast or better blacks in order to have a smooth clear image free of motion issues.
Thats why Sony invested so much in their Extreme processing chips and marketing around motion handling. The Sony OLED even with straight native 24p film is markedly better than LG.

The natural picture persistence and blur built into the OLED because of the slower response time actually helps smooth motion for 24p. The motion is not as good at 60fps compared to faster response time TV's but's it's actually perfect for Film. I think you'll find they put OLED at the bottom for 60hz content not 24p. (BFI helps with 24p too but activating it on the Sony OLED dims it somewhat)

If you look at the numbers, the ~40ms of response time is actually really close to the frame hold time for 24P film, almost exactly to the ms. This I believe is not by chance but by design.
So faster response time LED, DLP and QLEDs devices display 60hz picture better than OLED but OLED has best response time (frame hold time) for Film. It's a compromise, that's why they build Black Frame Insertion modes into faster response devices to improve high speed motion on 60hz sources.

It's all very interesting an enlightening as to why you like certain aspects of different display devices. The frustrating thing is that there's not a perfect solution to both low frame rate and high frame rate so I just wish 24p would go and die and the artists work out new ways to create the film experience with high speed film. Then we can all watch at 100hz or more and everything will look great.

I will definetly have to see both NX7 and HT9060 to judge for myself, but it would be good if someone can measure device response time, then we get an idea of what it's been optimised for and what features we need to look out for to improve motion for our given need. (Sports/Gaming or Film)

PS. I wish they'd kill off the resolution devlopment, we dont need it, and just focus on better motion handling and faster response time displays with brighter images so we can run BFI to recreate the film experience on a digital device. It seems to me if anyone focussed on display response time and motion handling, DCI-P3 accuracy and a bright HDR image with BFI in a projector, they would kill the market.
Resolution not required for any of these, which is why JVC was the highest rated film projection device for so long. And I dont care if its laser, hybrid laser LED or Lamp... just give us what we want which is the large screen film experience on a projector! (this side of $15k)

Last edited by Phatboy69; 02-05-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page