BenQ HT9060 / x12000h Owners Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 242Likes

post #151 of 431 Old 03-12-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3833 Post(s)
Liked: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Good find! I was going by what I thought I remembered @Kris Deering corrected me on a few months ago, but maybe I have it reversed again? Maybe he can chime in to clarify?

Could there be two versions, one that uses optical actuators and one that wobulates 4 ways?
Nope, it is an actuator. And I don't care how much TI says that each pixel is individually addressable, the overlap of four pixels is a compromise compared to a true native imager. Does it look good, sure. But native would look better. TI is like all the other marketing I see for this stuff, we don't need it until we have it. I applaud BenQ though. Their marketing on their website CLEARLY shows that they are using a shifting design for 4K. I've seen a lot of other DLP manufacturers make it look like the chip is native 4K without clarifying what they are doing.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 431 Old 03-12-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post
Does any one know of a BenQ dealer in Hawaii, Las Vegas or Washington State that would have a BenQ HT9060 on display so that it can be seen in action.

Also if there is a dealer in the Vancouver or Toronto area in Canada.

Really would like to see both the HT9060 and/or the LK990 in action.

I think the HT9060 might be better suited for my home theater but not sure.

Thank for any help.
I am in Washington state and will have the 9060 sometime soon. You're welcome to come see it while I have it here for the review.
Soulnight likes this.

post #153 of 431 Old 03-12-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Nope, it is an actuator. And I don't care how much TI says that each pixel is individually addressable, the overlap of four pixels is a compromise compared to a true native imager. Does it look good, sure. But native would look better. TI is like all the other marketing I see for this stuff, we don't need it until we have it. I applaud BenQ though. Their marketing on their website CLEARLY shows that they are using a shifting design for 4K. I've seen a lot of other DLP manufacturers make it look like the chip is native 4K without clarifying what they are doing.
I agree that the 4-way shift 0.47" XPR DMD like the HT2550 uses is not in the same league as the 0.66" XPR DMD that the HT9060 uses. Through its single chip precision HT9060 can hang with native 4K 3-chippers as reviews have indicated (some saying sharper than rival native 4K LCOS tech), but I wouldn't say this for the 0.47" DMD due to all the multiple overlaps and large pixels. The HT9060 also avoids RBE that some single chippers have through the fast cycling LEDs. So overall the implementation here for resolution is excellent with the HT9060.

The 4-way shift tech is useful though for the 1.38" DMD to get as close as possible to 8K until a greater-than-4K native res DMD is available, assuming that's deemed something buyers want.

Last edited by Ruined; 03-12-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 431 Old 03-12-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
I agree that the 4-way shift 0.47" XPR DMD like the HT2550 uses is not in the same league as the 0.66" XPR DMD that the HT9060 uses. Through its single chip precision HT9060 can hang with native 4K 3-chippers as reviews have indicated (some saying sharper than rival native 4K LCOS tech), but I wouldn't say this for the 0.47" DMD due to all the multiple overlaps and large pixels. The HT9060 also avoids RBE that some single chippers have through the fast cycling LEDs. So overall the implementation here for resolution is excellent with the HT9060.

The 4-way shift tech is useful though for the 1.38" DMD to get as close as possible to 8K until a greater-than-4K native res DMD is available, assuming that's deemed something buyers want.
8K is a joke to me. Completely unnecessary in every way. I am all for 8K CAPTURE, but in consumer displays it is a complete waste of engineering. I would much rather see them make improvements in other areas than the marketing BS of 8K. This goes for all display technologies and brands.
markmon1, Soulnight and brazensol like this.

post #155 of 431 Old 03-12-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
8K is a joke to me. Completely unnecessary in every way. I am all for 8K CAPTURE, but in consumer displays it is a complete waste of engineering. I would much rather see them make improvements in other areas than the marketing BS of 8K. This goes for all display technologies and brands.
It's a joke in the USA as no content but in Japan there is apparently a decent amount of 8K content I have heard. Unless you mean regarding the human eye limits, but on massive commercial screens I'm not sure those limits apply. Close up to a huge commercial screen, in some installation scenario I could see 8k outperforming 4k.
post #156 of 431 Old 03-12-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
It's a joke in the USA as no content but in Japan there is apparently a decent amount of 8K content I have heard. Unless you mean regarding the human eye limits, but on massive commercial screens I'm not sure those limits apply. Close up to a huge commercial screen, in some installation scenario I could see 8k outperforming 4k.
Hence my comment on consumer displays. And again, I am all for CAPTURE at higher than 8K, but for consumer playback at really any size that you will have in a home (yes, including 16-20' wide screens) 4K is MORE than enough. It was enough for massive cinema screens, it is MORE than enough for consumer sizes. So many other things that can be improved that would actually make WAY more difference in the picture quality before we get to more resolution.
brazensol likes this.

post #157 of 431 Old 03-12-2019, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hence my comment on consumer displays. And again, I am all for CAPTURE at higher than 8K, but for consumer playback at really any size that you will have in a home (yes, including 16-20' wide screens) 4K is MORE than enough. It was enough for massive cinema screens, it is MORE than enough for consumer sizes. So many other things that can be improved that would actually make WAY more difference in the picture quality before we get to more resolution.
I agree, I was referencing commercial as TI has no reasonable consumer 8K chip. They could theoretically put out an 0.95" native 4k DMD (would be same mirror density as the 0.66 xpr) with 4 way shift, but until then 8k would be out of range for typical consumer as the lenses needed for 1.38" are huge and very expensive.

You could even argue 1080p was "more than enough" for the consumer market. The content studios research showed that the majority of TV buyers (even large screen) saw no benefit to 4k. This is why they added HDR into the UHD spec as their research showed 4k alone would not move content.

Otherwise, they probably would have dribbled out UHD content in 4k SDR first for 5 years then start releasing 4k HDR after that, like what they did with 3d in the Blu Ray spec.

But anyway, TI making large leaps in areas like native contrast which I know you are a fan of will not happen until TI makes it possible for all manufs to make use of some of the patented tech by Dolby, Christie, and Barco (or similar). There doesnt seem much urgency to do so though as the markets that generate the most revenue don't seem to care as much about this aspect of PQ as you do.

We should give credit for TI and DLP manufs pushing the boundaries of low cost 4k solid state solutions as this will lead eventually to other techs having to come down in price to compete or look outdated as a result. For instance, I believe this already happened once with low cost dlp lamp 4ks forcing Sonys hand on the 285, next step I hope to see is the same with laser/led. We are also getting closer to more common use of RB laser and RGB laser due to DLP manufs innovation in this area.
Jacob Wang likes this.

Last edited by Ruined; 03-12-2019 at 02:28 PM.
post #158 of 431 Old 03-12-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I agree, I was referencing commercial as TI has no reasonable consumer 8K chip. They could theoretically put out an 0.95" native 4k DMD (would be same mirror density as the 0.66 xpr) with 4 way shift, but until then 8k would be out of range for typical consumer as the lenses needed for 1.38" are huge and very expensive.

You could even argue 1080p was "more than enough" for the consumer market. The content studios research showed that the majority of TV buyers (even large screen) saw no benefit to 4k. This is why they added HDR into the UHD spec as their research showed 4k alone would not move content.

Otherwise, they probably would have dribbled out UHD content in 4k SDR first for 5 years then start releasing 4k HDR after that, like what they did with 3d in the Blu Ray spec.

But anyway, TI making large leaps in areas like native contrast which I know you are a fan of will not happen until TI makes it possible for all manufs to make use of some of the patented tech by Dolby, Christie, and Barco (or similar). There doesnt seem much urgency to do so though as the markets that generate the most revenue don't seem to care as much about this aspect of PQ as you do.

We should give credit for TI and DLP manufs pushing the boundaries of low cost 4k solid state solutions as this will lead eventually to other techs having to come down in price to compete or look outdated as a result. For instance, I believe this already happened once with low cost dlp lamp 4ks forcing Sonys hand on the 285, next step I hope to see is the same with laser/led.
Sony did try and dribble out native 4K content without HDR, didn't go far. HDR wasn't added to 4K, it was already in development outside of resolution (and really has no tie in to 4K other than marketing, just as easy to do with 1080p). The CE companies just decided to lump it all in so that consumers would be more enticed.

I also don't think the lower cost Sony 4K offerings had anything at all to with cheap 4K DLP as the projectors that feature the DLP chip at that price point are not anything like the Sony's in terms of HT design and features. I think Sony was trying to appeal to Epson/JVC owners with something that they had that the competition didn't that was a buzz word. Unfortunately with that design it is sacrificing so many other things just so you can get native 4K.

I think the markets that generate revenue would absolutely care about higher contrast and better blacks if they were aware that they exist. Put the two images side by side and there is no comparison. We've seen this time and time again on show floors with flat panels. But the technologies used in bigger markets don't have the ability to produce that type of image. MicroLED is changing that.
Craig Peer likes this.

post #159 of 431 Old 03-12-2019, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 12008 Post(s)
Liked: 9529
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Looking at the secrets review, he said he got over 60FL on screen. His screen is 92" ST130 (1.3 gain). Using 60FL, that calculates to 1,154 lumen output. Chris is at 10' throw, so he is close to minimum throw distance for max lumens.

"I recorded over 200 nits at 10 feet from the screen, 92” image size, for both SDR and HDR signals. For old-schoolers, that’s over 60 foot-Lamberts."
post #160 of 431 Old 03-13-2019, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I received my projector yesterday and I have created a short unboxing video.

I'll post another video after I set it up in my home theater.
Ruined, CoreyM and Jacob Wang like this.

Audio: Bryston SP4 | ATI 6005 | NAD M27 (for sale)
Video: BenQ HT9060 | Stewart Cima | Custom HTPC | Sony UBP-X800M2
Speakers: B&W CM10 S2, CM Center 2 S2, 4 x DS3 | 4 x SVS SB4000
Acoustic treatment: GSK Acoustics
Furniture: Middle Atlantic RSC rack |
Seatcraft recliners | Sound Anchors
post #161 of 431 Old 03-13-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankmittal View Post
I'll post another video after I set it up in my home theater.
Please do! The HT9060 and LK990 each seem to have a unique set of great qualities so it's really tough to choose!!
post #162 of 431 Old 03-13-2019, 12:16 PM

While I am waiting for my ceiling mount to arrive, I tested the projector by placing it on a chair, 13ft away from my 100" Stewart Cima 1.0 screen. An all white background has a green tone around the left and right edge, with a slight pink hue in the middle of the screen. I am not sure if this is how DLP projectors are (this is my first DLP) or if there is a setting for it. I have not tweaked any color settings yet. The green hue on the edges increases in "Economic" lamp mode and reduces in "Normal" lamp mode. This isn't an issue with my 9yr old Epson.

Image:

Last edited by shashankmittal; 03-17-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #163 of 431 Old 03-13-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
While I am waiting for my ceiling mount to arrive, I tested the projector by placing it on a chair, 13ft away from my 100" Stewart Cima 1.0 screen. An all white background has a green tone around the left and right edge, with a slight pink hue in the middle of the screen. I am not sure if this is how DLP projectors are (this is my first DLP) or if there is a setting for it. I have not tweaked any color settings yet. The green hue on the edges increases in "Economic" lamp mode and reduces in "Normal" lamp mode. This isn't an issue with my 9yr old Epson.

Should not be any color hue like that.
post #164 of 431 Old 03-14-2019, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 23
NO THX Certification fotrHT9060

Why does the Lamp powered HT8060 have THX mode/certification and the HLD LED powered HT9060 does not?
post #165 of 431 Old 03-14-2019, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC57 View Post
Why does the Lamp powered HT8060 have THX mode/certification and the HLD LED powered HT9060 does not?

They decided not to pay for a badge.
nofire likes this.
post #166 of 431 Old 03-16-2019, 11:08 AM

So my initial impressions are mostly negative about this projector. I have put about 20hrs so far and have few issues:

1. An all-white background shows a pink hue in the middle of the screen, with a green hue on left and right. BenQ is sending me a replacement unit, so hopefully it will solve this. Picture of the issue: http://tinypic.com/r/11aebv9/9
  2. There is a high pitch whine that is different from the low frequency fan noise. This whine noise comes up quite frequently during HDMI handshake or resolution changes. Sound clip: https://instaud.io/3qLM
  3. The black level isn't great. The black bars on top and bottom of the movies look grey. My 9yr old Epson actually has a better black level and I never calibrated it. Not sure if calibration will help the BenQ.
  4. I see the rainbows. Yes, I do. It’s not evident all the time and is minimal, but it has started to bother me. Example - I was watching a movie where this guy was using a laser sight on his gun to point at the target. It was a dark scene and I could see RBE around the bright green laser. I also see it whenever there is a dark scene with something really bright, like a night shot with a light bulb in the scene. I ALWAYS see the RBE when there is a long straight white line in the scene. To clarify, I am not looking away from the screen or trying to do anything unusual. I watch like I always do, looking straight at the screen and focusing on the subject.
Now the good part:
  1. The projector is BRIGHT! I am using it on "Silent" picture mode that reduces the noise level and lamp brightness. Even at that setting, it is extremely bright. The bright scenes really pop out. It’s almost like watching a high end LED TV, very bright and accurate colors.
  2. Sharpness and detail is awesome. I have a computer connected to the projector and the text is as crisp as it can be.
When I try to shoot a video of the projector image with my cellphone, the video somehow gets scrolling color bars, so I am unable to create any videos of the projection. Still pictures aren't an issue.

I’ll post more as I test it further, but if the replacement unit doesn’t fix some of these issues, then I will have to switch to another brand.

post #167 of 431 Old 03-16-2019, 11:33 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked: 1570
Quote:
So my initial impressions are mostly negative about this projector. I have put about 20hrs so far and have few issues:
That's a shame, I'm going off the idea of putting a dealer through much to get hold of one to try.
Quote:
[*]There is a high pitch whine that is different from the low frequency fan noise. This whine noise comes up quite frequently during HDMI handshake or resolution changes. Sound clip: https://instaud.io/3qLM
I think I hear two sets of noises in your clip. One sounds like coil whine, which I would guess will be due to different current draw in the LED driver circuits during dimming; quite common in high current switch mode DC power supplies. That is quite annoying. The other sounds like a shifting mechanism (doesn't sound that different to eShift in my X7900 JVC)
Quote:
[*]I see the rainbows. Yes, I do. It’s not evident all the time and is minimal, but it has started to bother me. Example - I was watching a movie where this guy was using a laser sight on his gun to point at the target. It was a dark scene and I could see RBE around the bright green laser. I also see it whenever there is a dark scene with something really bright, like a night shot with a light bulb in the scene. I ALWAYS see the RBE when there is a long straight white line in the scene. To clarify, I am not looking away from the screen or trying to do anything unusual. I watch like I always do, looking straight at the screen and focusing on the subject.
That is a shame, and interesting as we have in the other thread on the laser LK970/990 a few people saying they don't see rainbows. I think this just highlights how viewer-dependent this is, as it is completely counter intuitive that a laser with an effective 5x colour wheel wouldn't show rainbows and yet an LED unit with no wheel is showing rainbows.
Quote:
[*]Sharpness and detail is awesome. I have a computer connected to the projector and the text is as crisp as it can be.
Ho hum. Sharpness and detail are two things I don't really feel like I'm lacking at the moment, so this looks very much like a "meh" projector to me...
post #168 of 431 Old 03-16-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 204
The most alarming thing to me is the uneven color. Hopefully that is just a bad unit.

My vango makes a similar noise (perhaps louder), I think it may be inherent to LED projectors because I've heard others reference "LED projector whine". I was hoping it would be better.

I also have seen rainbows on the Vango on a handful of occasions. Very rare for me but it has happened.

XBox: King Nuthin
post #169 of 431 Old 03-16-2019, 02:31 PM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
The most alarming thing to me is the uneven color. Hopefully that is just a bad unit.

My vango makes a similar noise (perhaps louder), I think it may be inherent to LED projectors because I've heard others reference "LED projector whine". I was hoping it would be better.

I also have seen rainbows on the Vango on a handful of occasions. Very rare for me but it has happened.
I'm yet to see a compelling technical discussion of why the LED projectors wouldn't suffer from RBE. From what I know, the limiting factor on these projectors is probably the rate at which you can change the data in the DMD chip, and not the speed at which you can cycle the colours. If you think about it, you could make a colourwheel projector cycle faster by making the wheel larger and adding more segments with the same RPM. I think the reason they don't is because you can't drive the DMD any faster.

There of course is a benefit because there isn't a physical wheel, so the window doesn't spin and have half one colour half another for a time, which might be significant - the RGB switching can happen cleanly.

I'd love to see some detail but like all of these things they seem to be very detail-light.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #170 of 431 Old 03-16-2019, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I like the picture my projector displays.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190316-185054_1552780565256.png
Views:	88
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	2540198  
post #171 of 431 Old 03-16-2019, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htrdln View Post
I like the picture my projector displays.
I'm certainly interested in this projector as a gamer it seems to tick the right boxes. I'm coming from a JVC X5900 so I'm a bit nervous regarding black levels, however I'm speaking to the BenQ rep who is organising a demo at a local dealer for me. I am very excited to see this projector in person, hopefully all the positives outweigh the few potential negatives.
post #172 of 431 Old 03-17-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
I'm yet to see a compelling technical discussion of why the LED projectors wouldn't suffer from RBE. From what I know, the limiting factor on these projectors is probably the rate at which you can change the data in the DMD chip, and not the speed at which you can cycle the colours. If you think about it, you could make a colourwheel projector cycle faster by making the wheel larger and adding more segments with the same RPM. I think the reason they don't is because you can't drive the DMD any faster.

There of course is a benefit because there isn't a physical wheel, so the window doesn't spin and have half one colour half another for a time, which might be significant - the RGB switching can happen cleanly.

I'd love to see some detail but like all of these things they seem to be very detail-light.
Dylan S. either benchmarked or otherwise got good info the LEDs in the old 1080p LED units sequenced at 18x, which is three to four times as fast as a color wheel.. I am not sure if the ht9060 is as fast as this, but it should be able to go that fast theoretically - RBE may be more evident than the 1080p models tho since its 2-3x brighter. The faster speeds won't make it 100% RBE proof for everyone but it should reduce your chances of seeing RBE given same brightness.

It seems TI is limited to 3x on physical wheel speed, and was able to double to 6x by doubling the segments. I assume any more than that and there won't be enough actual segment for the DMD to remain on for with the DMD mirrors having to turn off during the transition between segments for accurate color.
bobof likes this.

Last edited by Ruined; 03-17-2019 at 08:37 AM.
post #173 of 431 Old 03-19-2019, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
[quote=shashankmittal;57756096]So my initial impressions are mostly negative about this projector. I have put about 20hrs so far and have few issues:

Hi mate.

I thought I would chime in. I have this projector and the symptoms you are experiencing are not how it should be. You have a dud unit. Get in touch with benq and get it replaced.

Cheers.
post #174 of 431 Old 03-20-2019, 09:51 AM

[quote=Arty0418;57769264]
Quote:

Hi mate.

I thought I would chime in. I have this projector and the symptoms you are experiencing are not how it should be. You have a dud unit. Get in touch with benq and get it replaced.

Cheers.
My dealer received the replacement from BenQ, but I didn't bring it home. I had some HDMI handshake issues with my previous unit and I couldn't play UHD Blu Rays. After extensive testing, we found that my NAD M17 processor and BenQ do get along and that's when I run into HDMI handshake issues. My current unit and the replacement unit, both exhibit the same behavior.

I performed another series of UHD blu ray playback tests at my dealer using the NAD M17 and the replacement sent to us by BenQ. We used a Sony UHD player and same HDMI cables for all the tests. We found that if the NAD and BenQ were in the HDMI chain, there were HDMI handshake issues. If we substituted one of them with another brand, then it worked. We tested the BenQ with other AV processors (Yamaha and Marantz), it worked. We tested the NAD with a Samsung TV and Sony projector, it worked. The NAD and BenQ don't seem to play well with each other.

BenQ is a display company and I would personally put more trust in them with their video implementation than NAD, which is primarily an audio company with a handful of video engineers. At this point my options are to get another projector brand that plays well with NAD....or return the NAD (my dealer is willing to accept the return) and get another processor that solves the HDMI handshake issue.

You gotta love HDMI and HDCP and all the other "beautiful" things that come with them!

Last edited by shashankmittal; 03-20-2019 at 10:08 AM.
post #175 of 431 Old 03-20-2019, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
[quote=shashankmittal;57776556]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty0418 View Post
My dealer received the replacement from BenQ, but I didn't bring it home. I had some HDMI handshake issues with my previous unit and I couldn't play UHD Blu Rays. After extensive testing, we found that my NAD M17 processor and BenQ do get along and that's when I run into HDMI handshake issues. My current unit and the replacement unit, both exhibit the same behavior.

I performed another series of UHD blu ray playback tests at my dealer using the NAD M17 and the replacement sent to us by BenQ. We used a Sony UHD player for all the tests. We found that if the NAD and BenQ were in the HDMI chain, there were HDMI handshake issues. If we substituted one of them with another brand, then it worked. We tested the BenQ with other AV processors (Yamaha and Marantz), it worked. We tested the NAD with a Samsung TV and Sony projector, it worked. The NAD and BenQ don't seem to play well with each other.

BenQ is a display company and I would personally put more trust in them with their video implementation than NAD, which is primarily an audio company with a handful of video engineers. At this point my options are to get another projector brand that plays well with NAD....or return the NAD (my dealer is willing to accept the return) and get another processor that solves the HDMI handshake issue.

You gotta love HDMI and HDCP and all the other "beautiful" things that come with them!

Can you use the dual HDMI output of the Blu-ray to send audio only to the NAD and video straight to the BenQ?
Ruined likes this.
post #176 of 431 Old 03-20-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=shashankmittal;57776556]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty0418 View Post

I performed another series of UHD blu ray playback tests at my dealer using the NAD M17 and the replacement sent to us by BenQ. We used a Sony UHD player and same HDMI cables for all the tests. We found that if the NAD and BenQ were in the HDMI chain, there were HDMI handshake issues. If we substituted one of them with another brand, then it worked. We tested the BenQ with other AV processors (Yamaha and Marantz), it worked. We tested the NAD with a Samsung TV and Sony projector, it worked. The NAD and BenQ don't seem to play well with each other.

Hdmi issues aside, did the replacement unit fix the color issues?

Also I highly recommend the marantz av8802a. Excellent quality audio in both stereo and multich, supports all the formats, and is available very cheap due to being replaced by a new model recently.

I'd also try Dave's above idea to fix the issue.
post #177 of 431 Old 03-20-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Hdmi issues aside, did the replacement unit fix the color issues?

Also I highly recommend the marantz av8802a. Excellent quality audio in both stereo and multich, supports all the formats, and is available very cheap due to being replaced by a new model recently.

I'd also try Dave's above idea to fix the issue.
We didn't test an all white background at the dealer, I would need to bring the projector home for it and I didn't, due to the HDMI issue. Marantz 8805 is an option, but right now it's too early to commit to it or any other brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post
Can you use the dual HDMI output of the Blu-ray to send audio only to the NAD and video straight to the BenQ?
Yes, but I use a HTPC as a video source for DVD, Blu Rays, UHD blu rays and streaming. It only has one HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 port, so that workaround wouldn't work for me. The other workaround could be to use an active HDMI switcher, but never use its switching functionality. It will handshake with the NAD and also handshake with the BenQ. This will circumvent a direct handshake between the NAD and BenQ.

Let's see if we can get NAD or BenQ to own the issue and possibly provide a firmware fix. Compatibility issues between two brands are difficult to handle, none of them usually like to own the issue and keep passing the ball to the other side.
Dave Harper likes this.

Last edited by shashankmittal; 03-20-2019 at 10:21 AM.
post #178 of 431 Old 03-20-2019, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
We didn't test an all white background at the dealer, I would need to bring the projector home for it and I didn't, due to the HDMI issue. Marantz 8805 is an option, but right now it's too early to commit to it or any other brand.

Yes, but I use a HTPC as a video source for DVD, Blu Rays, UHD blu rays and streaming. It only has one HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 port, so that workaround wouldn't work for me. The other workaround could be to use an active HDMI switcher, but never use its switching functionality. It will handshake with the NAD and also handshake with the BenQ. This will circumvent a direct handshake between the NAD and BenQ.

Let's see if we can get NAD or BenQ to own the issue and possibly provide a firmware fix. Compatibility issues between two brands are difficult to handle, none of them usually like to own the issue and keep passing the ball to the other side.
You could try one of the HD Fury products to see if that fixes the issue.
post #179 of 431 Old 03-24-2019, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I.m hopping that my local dealer will have one in this week for me to test out in their demo room. I'll be bringing my Xbox one X to test out gaming and a number of clips representative of my viewing habits to ensure it meets my needs. Is there anything else in particular that I should be looking out for while testing?

Also wondering exactly how you calculate lens shift, I will be ceiling mounting the projector so the the centre of the lens is about 8 inches above the top of my 120 inch diagonal 16:9 screen. Is there enough lens shift for this to work? Currently it works fine with my JVC in this location however the JVC has 80% lens shift vs 65% for the BenQ.

Thank in advance

Scott
post #180 of 431 Old 03-24-2019, 04:54 AM
aka jfinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidjammer View Post
I.m hopping that my local dealer will have one in this week for me to test out in their demo room. I'll be bringing my Xbox one X to test out gaming and a number of clips representative of my viewing habits to ensure it meets my needs. Is there anything else in particular that I should be looking out for while testing?

Also wondering exactly how you calculate lens shift, I will be ceiling mounting the projector so the the centre of the lens is about 8 inches above the top of my 120 inch diagonal 16:9 screen. Is there enough lens shift for this to work? Currently it works fine with my JVC in this location however the JVC has 80% lens shift vs 65% for the BenQ.

Thank in advance

Scott
65% means the projector can be 65% of the image height above the centre of the projected image. Or another way, 15% of the image height above the top edge of the screen surface.
120 inch diagonal 16:9 screen has height of 59".
59" x 0.15 = 8.85" above screen edge max.

It is very, very close. Other manufacturers quote a tolerance on lens adjustments of up to +/- 5%.
I guess worst case you'll either have to raise your screen or lower the PJ a little. (edited, thanks @Dave Harper )

Last edited by bobof; 03-24-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page