BenQ HT9060 / x12000h Owners Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 207Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
svtdougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
BenQ HT9060 / x12000h Owners Thread

Official owners thread and information regarding this projector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1449.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	2515918   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1453.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	2515920  
Spizz, biliam1982, Aztar35 and 1 others like this.
svtdougie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
svtdougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Saved for future use.
svtdougie is offline  
post #3 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
golden78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: syracuse
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 131
what are the 2 dials on top?
golden78 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,806
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden78 View Post
what are the 2 dials on top?
Manual lens shift
Ruined is online now  
post #5 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
svtdougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
This may be an idiotic question but I can not for the life of me figure out how to zoom in or out. The picture is too close. and bleeding well over the sides. At this point I am guessing it has no zoom figure which would mean remounting the entire system I have.

I called BenQ they are like we don't even have that projector in our system. Not much help.

It is seriously heavy. My Prismasonic custom mount doesn't hold it up. I had cut an 8" 2x2 to temporarily take the pressure off of it and level it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1455.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	2516116  
svtdougie is offline  
post #6 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 12:10 PM
Newbie
 
ablanton70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
It looks like there are two rings around the lens. The inner one is the zoom and the outer one is the focus.
ablanton70 is offline  
post #7 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,716
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5236 Post(s)
Liked: 5487
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie View Post
This may be an idiotic question but I can not for the life of me figure out how to zoom in or out. The picture is too close. and bleeding well over the sides. At this point I am guessing it has no zoom figure which would mean remounting the entire system I have.

I called BenQ they are like we don't even have that projector in our system. Not much help.

It is seriously heavy. My Prismasonic custom mount doesn't hold it up. I had cut an 8" 2x2 to temporarily take the pressure off of it and level it.

it looks like there are 2 rings on the lens, 1 for zoom, other for focus


zombie10k is offline  
post #8 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,806
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie View Post
This may be an idiotic question but I can not for the life of me figure out how to zoom in or out. The picture is too close. and bleeding well over the sides. At this point I am guessing it has no zoom figure which would mean remounting the entire system I have.

I called BenQ they are like we don't even have that projector in our system. Not much help.

It is seriously heavy. My Prismasonic custom mount doesn't hold it up. I had cut an 8" 2x2 to temporarily take the pressure off of it and level it.
Lens has two rings one for zoom other for focus
Ruined is online now  
post #9 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
svtdougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
It was because my prisamsonic lens was so close. There is another ring (super small) way in the back. It is zoomed and focused. Stay tuned.
Aztar35 likes this.
svtdougie is offline  
post #10 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,806
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie View Post
It was because my prisamsonic lens was so close. There is another ring (super small) way in the back. It is zoomed and focused. Stay tuned.
For your specific needs LED power setting going to make a big difference in PQ. During daytime when you have ambient light you would want normal full power for max brightness. But at night when you can darken room you'd want to use SmartEco for max contrast.
Ruined is online now  
post #11 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,864
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie View Post
Stay tuned.

Hurraayyy!!!

SVT, also when you turn it on, please go to the info menu and see what the firmware version is so we can compare with SharkMX's unit.

I'm expecting the Ht9060 is to have much better contrast performance not just due to Smarteco mode, but due to BenQ's new HDR feature, called HDR-Pro.

I wonder if the 9060's wide color will help color even with non-P3 sourced, HD 3D material?

If you can take some measurements too, normal, eco, and smarteco.

Thanks.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #12 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,864
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
For your specific needs LED power setting going to make a big difference in PQ. During daytime when you have ambient light you would want normal full power for max brightness. But at night when you can darken room you'd want to use SmartEco for max contrast.
Ruined, I'm not seeing in the BenQ specs page that its lists BT2020 color, just that it does 98% of DCI P3. If that's right, how will that work with the player without the BT2020 container? I'm thinking it does
though given it has HDR.

Perhaps SVT can try playing some UHD discs too.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #13 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,806
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Ruined, I'm not seeing in the BenQ specs page that its lists BT2020 color, just that it does 98% of DCI P3. If that's right, how will that work with the player without the BT2020 container? I'm thinking it does
though given it has HDR.

Perhaps SVT can try playing some UHD discs too.
Yup can't support HDR without accepting bt2020. Its just giving the min color space it visually covers, though that Chinese review a while back said it covers closer to 110% p3
Ruined is online now  
post #14 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
svtdougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
OK. So I have tuned nothing. This is straight out of the box Cinema mode with Smart Eco on. I have another issue I think my projector is a little too far back, I mean like 6" to get 100% fill on my screen. There is a slight sliver I can't get in. But that is another issue.

Initial impressions are very good. It is plenty bright enough in eco / smart eco with tons of ambient light. Those photos were taken with blinds drawn but m office window wide open so maybe 20 - 25% ambient light.

1. Not a hint of rainbow effect detected! Yeah
2. The picture is 'easier' on the eyes than the UHZ65. It is less harsh and super clear. I mean crazy clear even with my lens attached.
3. I personally like the picture better than TVS Pro modification and I haven't even tuned anything yet.
4. Fan noise is louder than I was expecting but less than the UHZ65. The LED light sounds like almost bugs getting zapped by a zapper continually
5. Colors are vibrant and skin tones look really good.
6. Blacks are ok, not great I'd say.

Remember this is after 15 minutes. I have to run my kids somewhere and when it gets dark I will do more. I also got a new Emotiva XPA-7 I need to hook up.

All photos taken with flash off and an iPhone X. I have done nothing with the pictures (that includes cropping) and have done nothing with the projector other than putting it in Smart Eco mode.

Firmware version says 1.0.0

Source: aTV 4k set to 4k SDR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1462.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	2516142   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1461.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	2516144   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1460.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	2516146   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1459.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	2516148   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1458.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	2516150  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1457.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	2516152   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1456.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	2516154  
Aztar35 and golden78 like this.
svtdougie is offline  
post #15 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
svtdougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My apologies these pictures were taken in 'silent' mode not 'cinema'. I forgot I had tried silent mode which does kill the fan but forgot to put it back.

Did more TV watching (Vue) picture is really nice.
svtdougie is offline  
post #16 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,864
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie View Post
OK. So I have tuned nothing. This is straight out of the box Cinema mode with Smart Eco on. I have another issue I think my projector is a little too far back, I mean like 6" to get 100% fill on my screen. There is a slight sliver I can't get in. But that is another issue.

Initial impressions are very good. It is plenty bright enough in eco / smart eco with tons of ambient light. Those photos were taken with blinds drawn but m office window wide open so maybe 20 - 25% ambient light.

1. Not a hint of rainbow effect detected! Yeah
2. The picture is 'easier' on the eyes than the UHZ65. It is less harsh and super clear. I mean crazy clear even with my lens attached.
3. I personally like the picture better than TVS Pro modification and I haven't even tuned anything yet.
4. Fan noise is louder than I was expecting but less than the UHZ65. The LED light sounds like almost bugs getting zapped by a zapper continually
5. Colors are vibrant and skin tones look really good.
6. Blacks are ok, not great I'd say.

Remember this is after 15 minutes. I have to run my kids somewhere and when it gets dark I will do more. I also got a new Emotiva XPA-7 I need to hook up.

All photos taken with flash off and an iPhone X. I have done nothing with the pictures (that includes cropping) and have done nothing with the projector other than putting it in Smart Eco mode.

Firmware version says 1.0.0

Source: aTV 4k set to 4k SDR
That one pic with JL having a glow is really tell-tale, really good. I'm reserving judgment on the black levels until you get a chance to test in the dark.

Do you have anything you can use to take contrast measurements? If not, you've seen the UHZ65 in DB1; how would the 9060's dynamic black compare to that? Let us know when you get back.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #17 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,864
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie View Post
My apologies these pictures were taken in 'silent' mode not 'cinema'. I forgot I had tried silent mode which does kill the fan but forgot to put it back.

Did more TV watching (Vue) picture is really nice.
ON the 9050, Silent mode defeated XPR and caused the machine to run in its native resolution of 1528.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #18 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,806
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie View Post
My apologies these pictures were taken in 'silent' mode not 'cinema'. I forgot I had tried silent mode which does kill the fan but forgot to put it back.

Did more TV watching (Vue) picture is really nice.
Yeah silent mode drops the projector to ~3K resolution instead of 4K.


Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie View Post
1. Not a hint of rainbow effect detected! Yeah
2. The picture is 'easier' on the eyes than the UHZ65. It is less harsh
These are the two items I keep speaking about when people offer brighter blue laser projectors (UHZ65/LK970/LK990) as "better" alternatives to the HT9060 because they are more impactful due to the brightness.

I watch a lot of movies, and its not uncommon for me to watch 5+ hours in one sitting. All the blue laser projectors out use the same setup, a 2.5x speed 4-segment color wheel. This results in some RBE and a more "harsh," less "stable" picture that may be uncomfortable for some over extended viewing periods.

The HT9060 uses rapid cycling LEDs instead of wheels, and the LEDs are significantly faster than any of the mechanical color wheels available for lamp or laser projectors. As a result, that superior speed in sequential color results in our eyes/brains being less "stressed" to assemble the sequential color into a full color image and hence is less fatiguing for longer viewing periods. In fact its so fast, most cannot detect RBE at all with the fast cycling LED projectors like the HT9060, which gives it a similar stability as a 3-chip combined with the sharpness of a 1-chip.

This really is an important and crucial aspect of this projector to consider. The HT9060 may not offer as much "punch" as some other solid state projectors, but the speedy LEDs can provide a level of viewing comfort that far surpasses other options and hence is desirable if you plan to use for extended periods. A lot of us really like that comfort LED provides and are just trying to figure out if the HT9060 is in the same PQ league (or better) as some of the popular 1080p DLP LEDs.
ebailey likes this.

Last edited by Ruined; 01-25-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Ruined is online now  
post #19 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 02:27 PM
MJ1
Senior Member
 
MJ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I thought you didn't have to use focus ring on the projector. It automatically focuses when you zoom in or out. Atleast ht9050 was advertised to be this way.
MJ1 is offline  
post #20 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,806
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1 View Post
I thought you didn't have to use focus ring on the projector. It automatically focuses when you zoom in or out. Atleast ht9050 was advertised to be this way.
You probably still have to focus 1 time initially to give it a starting point, and then I assume after that the focus follows the zoom.
Ruined is online now  
post #21 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,716
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5236 Post(s)
Liked: 5487
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie View Post
The LED light sounds like almost bugs getting zapped by a zapper continually
Hi, can you pls provide more details on this when you get a chance? The last LED DLP I had here made a similar noise where it was noticeable with brightness changes.
zombie10k is offline  
post #22 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
svtdougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The projector is at the end off the zoom range, it will only zoom out which I need to check because my projector 16' from the screen and I thought that was on the edge being almost too far back. The main ring focuses and the other one zooms. Everything is manual which I prefer. I may need to move the projector forward 6" and then zoom out a little bit but I will need help. It is probably over 60lbs hanging there with the lens.

What Ruined said is spot on. The picture is more natural to me. The UHZ strained my eyes for short periods even.

I will post more after I am home and my kids are in bed.

Negative: I forgot to mention there is a light bleed in the upper right hand corner that extends beyond the screen maybe a foot and is a few inches high. I think I saw some Sony's had this.
svtdougie is offline  
post #23 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
svtdougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Hi, can you pls provide more details on this when you get a chance? The last LED DLP I had here made a similar noise where it was noticeable with brightness changes.
Yes I will. It was not notable in silent mode though.
svtdougie is offline  
post #24 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,864
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie View Post
Negative: I forgot to mention there is a light bleed in the upper right hand corner that extends beyond the screen maybe a foot and is a few inches high.
...nothing a little black velvet can't fix. I personally wouldn't worry about that. I know that the big story here for you so far is no RBE.

But when you get a chance, let me know how the 9060 blacks in best black mode (Smartco) compares with the UHZ65's dynamic black 1.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #25 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 08:18 PM
 
Dave Harper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Paradise on Earth
Posts: 6,554
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3159 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
These are the two items I keep speaking about when people offer brighter blue laser projectors (UHZ65/LK970/LK990) as "better" alternatives to the HT9060 because they are more impactful due to the brightness.



I watch a lot of movies, and its not uncommon for me to watch 5+ hours in one sitting. All the blue laser projectors out use the same setup, a 2.5x speed 4-segment color wheel. This results in some RBE and a more "harsh," less "stable" picture that may be uncomfortable for some over extended viewing periods.

...........

The LK970 is the cleanest, smoothest, most 3D without being 3D, least “harsh” projector with HDR that I have ever had here. Maybe you should actually see one first?
Dave Harper is offline  
post #26 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
svtdougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I would say the blacks on the UHZ65 (calibrated) were better than the HT9060. Granted nothing is calibrated on this projector. I am also failing to see really any discernible difference between normal/eco/ecosmart as far as black level is concerned. I pause the movie and switch modes on a darkish scene and I really can't see any difference at all. The only difference in black really came with switching to HDR where it was substantially darker.

I'd also say the amount of illumination reduction is minimal in any of the modes. Full, of course, is a little brighter but not very much. Blacks do look pretty dark on HDR mode however the colors are all jacked up so it probably needs calibrated to make a fair comparison.

In general I am extremely happy with this projector. There is no question it is better for me than the UHZ65 calibrated version I had. The picture looks more natural (not sure how else to put it), it is razor sharp even with 720 and 1080p content. The brightness is more than sufficient for ambient light on my 115" wide screen.

I would rate the projectors as 7.0/10 for the modified UHZ65 and 8.5/10 for the HT9060. There is literally 0 rainbow effect I have seen, the projector comes on in about 8 seconds and I have 0 worries about it dimming over the next 10 - 12 years. Could the blacks be better, probably, sure. But for the price and the solid state LED light I really think anyone would be hard pressed to beat this projector. I have not seen the LK970/LK990 so I can't comment on any comparisons to that projector. Also my screen is not giant at 10' wide but probably not small either. Maybe black levels will increase after calibration. I think it was the projector reviews guy who said it never bothered him on the 9050 because of how good everything else is. I agree.

To me the negatives of this projector are the size/weight (need to figure out how to modify my already beefy mount to accommodate it as I custom cut a 2x2 to rig it into place), probably needs custom calibrated, and the blacks could be blacker.

The fan noise has settled down actually, I do not hear the fly dying in the buzzer sound anymore, maybe that was just burning off the oil or something on the bulb but since I literally sit 3.6' under the projector I can hear everything.

The stars are from Lost in Space 4k and the other 2 are from Passengers 1080.

Bottom Line: I will be keeping this projector!

P.S. These pictures are with 0 calibration and are out of the box just in case someone comes back months or years later looking at these as to be calibrated examples.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1467.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	2516380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1465.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	2516382   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1466.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	2516384  
swarm87, Aztar35 and Airbus Driver like this.

Last edited by svtdougie; 01-25-2019 at 08:28 PM.
svtdougie is offline  
post #27 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stormwind13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie View Post
I would say the blacks on the UHZ65 (calibrated) were better than the HT9060. Granted nothing is calibrated on this projector. I am also failing to see really any discernible difference between normal/eco/ecosmart as far as black level is concerned. I pause the movie and switch modes on a darkish scene and I really can't see any difference at all. The only difference in black really came with switching to HDR where it was substantially darker.

I'd also say the amount of illumination reduction is minimal in any of the modes. Full, of course, is a little brighter but not very much. Blacks do look pretty dark on HDR mode however the colors are all jacked up so it probably needs calibrated to make a fair comparison.

In general I am extremely happy with this projector. There is no question it is better for me than the UHZ65 calibrated version I had. The picture looks more natural (not sure how else to put it), it is razor sharp even with 720 and 1080p content. The brightness is more than sufficient for ambient light on my 115" wide screen.

I would rate the projectors as 7.0/10 for the modified UHZ65 and 8.5/10 for the HT9060. There is literally 0 rainbow effect I have seen, the projector comes on in about 8 seconds and I have 0 worries about it dimming over the next 10 - 12 years. Could the blacks be better, probably, sure. But for the price and the solid state LED light I really think anyone would be hard pressed to beat this projector. I have not seen the LK970/LK990 so I can't comment on any comparisons to that projector. Also my screen is not giant at 10' wide but probably not small either. Maybe black levels will increase after calibration. I think it was the projector reviews guy who said it never bothered him on the 9050 because of how good everything else is. I agree.

To me the negatives of this projector are the size/weight (need to figure out how to modify my already beefy mount to accommodate it as I custom cut a 2x2 to rig it into place), probably needs custom calibrated, and the blacks could be blacker.

The fan noise has settled down actually, I do not hear the fly dying in the buzzer sound anymore, maybe that was just burning off the oil or something on the bulb but since I literally sit 3.6' under the projector I can hear everything.

The stars are from Lost in Space 4k and the other 2 are from Passengers 1080.

Bottom Line: I will be keeping this projector!

P.S. These pictures are with 0 calibration and are out of the box just in case someone comes back months or years later looking at these as to be calibrated examples.
You also have to factor the white ceiling into your reduced contrast, an issue I have as well.

I have an 8060 on the way to be delivered mid next week. Will post impressions of that one as well. Benq is being super awesome sending me the new model as I had issues with my 8050 and the dynamic iris.
Aztar35 and Airbus Driver like this.
stormwind13 is offline  
post #28 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,806
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtdougie View Post
I am also failing to see really any discernible difference between normal/eco/ecosmart as far as black level is concerned. I pause the movie and switch modes on a darkish scene and I really can't see any difference at all.
This was a concern I had, as the HT9050 had a similar issue with SmartEco. It seems the dimming algorithm BenQ used in the HT9050 was extremely conservative, to the extent that it didn't make much impact on real world content, based on user reports. This is too bad, as dimming can *massively* improve blacks on real world content when implemented well. Unfort from this report it sounds like they didn't increase its aggressiveness much in the HT9060. I have to wonder if this might be some limitation of the HLD LED tech itself, perhaps due to it being a large cluster of LEDs on the green HLD rod makes large rapid swings in dimming challenging?


Also regarding your light leak, if you can confirm this is coming through the lens and not some other source, I would personally consider this a potential defect. As far as I know, the HT8050/HT9050/LK970 which all use the same chassis and DMD did not have this light leak. However I also heard at least one buyer of the recently released LK990 complain of similar light leak, so I wonder if there was a manufacturing issue with these more recent units? I definitely would take some pics of it and contact BenQ.

Last edited by Ruined; 01-25-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Ruined is online now  
post #29 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,603
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3748 Post(s)
Liked: 6388
I am going to be getting a 9060 for review at some point in the near future. With the 9050 I could hear the buzz of the LED light engine on occasion, but never during normal use with audio going. Still disappointing that BenQ isn't using some kind of motorized lens system at this price point.
Spizz, Mike Garrett, bobof and 1 others like this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is offline  
post #30 of 378 Old 01-25-2019, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
svtdougie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Germantown, WI
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 30
For the size of it I’d expect it to be almost silent. I am guessing the firmware is not user upgradable. This thing is awfully big to take up and down and mail somewhere for an updated algorithm.

I watched some of pulp fiction and the dark knight. Also some OTA broadcasts with straight mpeg2 feeds. Incredibly sharp and awesome picture no question. If reviewed on street price vs msrp no question this is a winner.

Especially if compared to JVC where bulbs are $500 a pop. I am a pretty discerning person and very particular. Granted I need more than an hour or two to make an informed review but IMO the black level is satisfactory and only bothered me a handful of times maybe because I was sitting here hyper focused on finding black scenes. To be honest not being totally black and seeing some details is actually nice.

If Kris gets one in and calibrates it in HDR mode it will probably be better.

To sum up. Very pleased. I will give more feedback after another few days of watching and tweaking.



I will take the lens off at some point and verify the light bleed.
Aztar35 likes this.
svtdougie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off