Optoma UHZ65UST - 4K Laser - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #61 of 73 Old 11-04-2019, 07:30 AM
g4s

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbooky View Post
Received my Optoma ALR101 screen today so will hopefully get it set up by the weekend. Interested to see if the SmartFIT app works this time. I too tested out Youtube with some HDR content but the projector failed to display the HDR banner. If anyones using an Apple TV then Youtube doesnt display in 4K HDR on that device. I'll test again with my Fire TV 4K stick and Nvidia Shield. Anyone who's has purchased movies on iTunes will be pleased to hear that the Apple TV plus app is available on the Fire TV 4k stick now. No need to use the Apple TV to watch your content and put up with that god awful remote control!
I saw a SmartFit video on Youtube. You need to make sure the image goes a little past the screen bezel on all four sides for it to work correctly. Hadn't heard that before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 11-04-2019, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Received my Optoma ALR101 screen today so will hopefully get it set up by the weekend. Interested to see if the SmartFIT app works this time. I too tested out Youtube with some HDR content but the projector failed to display the HDR banner. If anyones using an Apple TV then Youtube doesnt display in 4K HDR on that device. I'll test again with my Fire TV 4K stick and Nvidia Shield. Anyone who's has purchased movies on iTunes will be pleased to hear that the Apple TV plus app is available on the Fire TV 4k stick now. No need to use the Apple TV to watch your content and put up with that god awful remote control!
Cool, I tested mine straight onto the PET Crystal screen from XY Screens and could not be happier with the performance it gives. I also have the smartfit app but my cabinet is slightly to high to get the positioning as I wanted...and I don't want to raise my screen..so getting a slightly lower cabinet to hopefully resolve things. To be honest things are very close the way I have it now so it would not be the end of the world if I could not align it perfectly.

So for YouTube you also used the built in app with no success getting it to show HDR, that's a slight comfort at least knowing it isn't just me. YouTube has never been available in 4K on Apple TV due to it not supporting the vp9 format, same applies to the NVidia Shield (I have both devices too but not hooked them up to the projector as of yet).
post #63 of 73 Old 11-04-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post
I saw a SmartFit video on Youtube. You need to make sure the image goes a little past the screen bezel on all four sides for it to work correctly. Hadn't heard that before.
Yup easier said then done at least for me at the moment...very, very close but not quite there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 73 Old 11-04-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post
Yup easier said then done at least for me at the moment...very, very close but not quite there!
post #65 of 73 Old 11-05-2019, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'll be using these videos on youtube to help align it with the SmartFIT app, once the screen is put together...

Chapla1n likes this.
post #66 of 73 Old 11-18-2019, 11:27 AM

Here’s a quick video from my setup, more details etc to come!

https://youtu.be/gcBcNpjNwMI
Macbooky likes this.
post #67 of 73 Old 11-18-2019, 11:19 PM

Playing a 4K HDR demo on the Optoma ALR101 screen. Make sure you watch in 4K!

Nihar P likes this.
post #68 of 73 Old 11-19-2019, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I've been looking for a UST PJ to replace my TV and PJ since I saw the Xiaomi range and the Optoma looks like it will be perfect.

Can someone please confirm the size of it please? The manual says 576 x 383 x 129.7mm. In UK old money that is 22.5 x 15 x 5", which seems HUGE. Is it really that big? I'm not sure I can convince the other half that we'd need to change the TV unit, which matches the rest of the furniture in the room.
post #69 of 73 Old 11-19-2019, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Seymour View Post
I've been looking for a UST PJ to replace my TV and PJ since I saw the Xiaomi range and the Optoma looks like it will be perfect.

Can someone please confirm the size of it please? The manual says 576 x 383 x 129.7mm. In UK old money that is 22.5 x 15 x 5", which seems HUGE. Is it really that big? I'm not sure I can convince the other half that we'd need to change the TV unit, which matches the rest of the furniture in the room.
I turned this pj down ONLY due to its sheer size & will be going ahead with one of those Chinese ones, as it was just not fitting in my apartment.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk
post #70 of 73 Old 11-19-2019, 02:22 AM

Quote:

Not home at the moment so can't confirm the measurements but I will say that it is a fairly big unit. Also, the size of the projected image you want will depend on how high and how far from the wall the projector sits. Will you be projecting on the wall or a screen? Where you can position the projector will determine exactly how high the screen will need to be placed.
post #71 of 73 Old 11-19-2019, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihar P View Post
I turned this pj down ONLY due to its sheer size & will be going ahead with one of those Chinese ones, as it was just not fitting in my apartment.

I've seen posts saying the Chinese ones judder with 50Hz and 24Hz panning shots as there's no frame interpolation. There's also problems with support on failing units.
post #72 of 73 Old 11-19-2019, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Not home at the moment so can't confirm the measurements but I will say that it is a fairly big unit. Also, the size of the projected image you want will depend on how high and how far from the wall the projector sits. Will you be projecting on the wall or a screen? Where you can position the projector will determine exactly how high the screen will need to be placed.
It will be on the wall initially until I can calculate the best screen size. The wall will just take a 120" screen but we may want 110" if the L/R speakers get in the way of the bottom corners of the image. We currently have a 108" image so I can't see the other half being happy with a reduction. Once we've decided, I'll get an ALR screen.

If the dimensions are right, I'd need to move the TV unit at least 5" forward from the wall and may not have room for the sat box I want to sit on top of the unit as well. The unit has the centre and its amplifier taking up all the space below.
post #73 of 73 Old 11-19-2019, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
I've seen posts saying the Chinese ones judder with 50Hz and 24Hz panning shots as there's no frame interpolation. There's also problems with support on failing units.
Yup, problems might arise with these units, but that's a risk I guess I will have to take, when weighed against other odds.. All resellers do provide a 1-2 year warranty, provided you ship the unit to them in mainland. They are more than willing to fix or replace the unit, and ship it back to your postal address.. (all of this is subject to condition of course that you are willing to wait all that while!)

I plan to only use the projector via a streaming device (like the Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019) or relaying movies through a HDD attached, so judder might be a bit contained.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page