AVS Forum banner

Optoma UHZ65UST - 4K Laser

31K views 73 replies 23 participants last post by  Sam Ash 
#1 · (Edited)
The projector has been unveiled at ISE 2019 in Amsterdam. This is the only link I could find so far. Hopefully we’ll soon get some detailed specs, besides the reported 3000 ANSI lumens.

#3 ·
The features of the UHZ65 UST at a glance:
3,000 ANSI lumens
4K UHD resolution with 8.3 million pixels (Shifting)
Fully HDR10 and HLG compatible
3D support
Laser light source with 20,000 hours lifespan
100 inches (2.5 meters) projection from just 25 cm away
NuForce AC-3 ". Fits almost any DVD or Bluray. '> Dolby Digital 2.0 Soundbar
AC-3 ". Fits almost any DVD or Bluray. '> Dolby Digital Plus compatible
Netflix and Youtube 4K streaming
Optoma Connect app for iOS and Android phones
Remote control with Air Mouse function
Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa Language Assistant

#6 ·
In the press release below (from 2 years ago) they list this pj as having an MSRP of $20K, of course, in the competitive landscape 2 years ago the only similar projector at that time was the $25K Sony, so maybe they've come to their senses about the price. I can't see then using the same light engine as the UHZ65 and charging more than $5-6K…there are too many companies with imminent 4K UST laser releases for it to be higher than that (Epson, BenQ, Viewsonic, LG, Dell and Xiaomi, JMGO).

https://www.optoma.com/us/optoma-un...rt-throw-home-theater-projectors-at-ces-2017/

By the way, has anyone compared the Sony UST 4k with this one (or the UHX65 as it should be similar)? How about the Dell S718QL? Just curious if either of them pulls ahead?

#12 ·
Below is a copy of an email that a manager received back from the engineers in response to my questions on the CinemaX P1 specs (the usa version of the UHZ65UST).

I would love to hear some feedback on the quality and performance based on these. Will 3d have a jittery image because there isn't frame interloping?

OPTOMAS RESPONSE TO MY QUESTIONS.
Is frame interloping available for all content 720p, 1080p, 4k at all frame rates supported? Yes.

Frame interloping for 3d content? No.

Fix the white boarder on the .47 chip? Yes.

What is the native contrast on the P1? 15000:1 However, this requires verification.

Will there be a ust version coming out using the better .66 chip? TI has made considerably improvements to 0.47 DMD. The performance is now on par with the 0.66 DMD.

Can 3d content be played via usb from a hard drive? Yes.

Can Kodi application be downloaded to the unit? Unverified. We are still in testing mode.

Will 4k bluray be sharper and show more detail than a 1080p bluray outside of using HDR? Yes. 4K combined with the glass lens produces significantly sharper images than 1080p.

Picture uniformity percentage? 90%

#13 ·
Below is a copy of an email that a manager received back from the engineers in response to my questions on the CinemaX P1 specs (the usa version of the UHZ65UST).

I would love to hear some feedback on the quality and performance based on these. Will 3d have a jittery image because there isn't frame interloping?

OPTOMAS RESPONSE TO MY QUESTIONS.
Is frame interloping available for all content 720p, 1080p, 4k at all frame rates supported? Yes.

Frame interloping for 3d content? No.

Fix the white boarder on the .47 chip? Yes.

What is the native contrast on the P1? 15000:1 However, this requires verification.

Will there be a ust version coming out using the better .66 chip? TI has made considerably improvements to 0.47 DMD. The performance is now on par with the 0.66 DMD.

Can 3d content be played via usb from a hard drive? Yes.

Can Kodi application be downloaded to the unit? Unverified. We are still in testing mode.

Will 4k bluray be sharper and show more detail than a 1080p bluray outside of using HDR? Yes. 4K combined with the glass lens produces significantly sharper images than 1080p.

Picture uniformity percentage? 90%

#14 ·
Well, this one is complete BS: "What is the native contrast on the P1? 15000:1" I doubt it is 1,500:1 native.

#16 · (Edited)
No, that would be a ridiculous assumption for native contrast on an XPR DLP. None of these XPR DLP's have been over 2,000:1 and nearly all of them have been around 1,000:1 native contrast. Clarify all you want, but if they tell you native is over 2,000:1, then I question anything they say, because there is no way that projector is remotely close to 15,000:1 native.

Added
Projector reviews got 1,100:1 native for the UHZ65. Converting a UHZ65 to ultra short throw is not going to improve the native contrast. So like I said, around 1,000:1 native.
https://www.projectorreviews.com/optoma/optoma-uhz65-4k-laser-projector-review-performance/#blacklevel/contrast

#18 ·
It depends on what you call jittery. Some people consider a 24P movie jittery, but it is playing like it is supposed to.

#19 ·
I have an entry level samsung tv right now, when the camera pans across a scene, it isn't smooth/fluid motion. It seems to subtly move and stop, move and stop, which I consider jittery. I dont see this as much on even slightly higher end tvs. I hope that makes sense.

Do you think the P1 may have this issue?

#25 ·
And yet I bet an Epson 5050 with 6,000:1 native contrast has better contrast and black levels.

#26 ·
According to reliable information from Taiwan, there will only be a 0.47" P1 release.
The machine has been seen the day before, and the picture quality is amazing!
Maybe because of the distance (30 cm can project 100 inches)
It looks brighter than UHZ65, and the contrast is even better.
If your screen is within 120 inches, UHZ65 will not necessarily win.
I am using Google Translate, please forgive me @@

#30 ·
I still have hope the UHZ65UST will have the .66 dmd chip. To me it doesn't make sense that optoma will sell the same models world wide and have 2 of the same model under different names. Especially when at first glance the uhz65ust is marketed as the short throw version of the uhz65, but with an inferior dmd chip. It doesn't make sense to me.

They have the uhd50/51 series with the same .47" chip and the uhd60/65 series with the .66" chip. Marketed as better and best.

Just my 2 cents. I have hope

#32 · (Edited)
Kraine just provided me with a heads-up, i.e. the Optoma CinemaX P1 is still marketed in Europe as the "UHZ65UST" and France expects its arrival in October for an MSRP of 3.999 €.

Frankly, I find it unfortunate (to say the least) that Optoma is using a product designation for Europe that's identical to the UHZ65 but unlike the UHZ65 the UHZ65UST will not use the better 0.66" DMD.

Unlike the MSRP for the P1, I assume that the European price includes VAT.

#34 ·
Frankly, I find it unfortunate (to say the least) that Optoma is using a product designation for Europe that's identical to the UHZ65 but unlike the UHZ65 the UHZ65UST will not use the better 0.66" DMD.

Take this with a pinch of salt but... Elsewhere on a thread about the LG HU85LA, a forum poster said that the reason it couldn't do 3D was because the 0.66" DMD did not support it. I have no idea if that is true or not but the standard UHZ65 also does not support Blu-Ray 3D. So maybe they went with the smaller DMD for the P1/UHZ65UST to allow 3D?

#33 ·
I've just chat with optoma France and they told me the UHZ65UST and P1 are different model, the UHZ65UST have 3500 lumens and 2 500 000:1 contrast ratio, and the P1 one have 3000 lumens and 1 500 000:1, and they finally set an MSRP price of 3.299 € for France (It certainly should be the same elsewhere in europe).

#39 ·
Optoma EU just released the specs on the UHZ65UST. 3500 lumens and 2.5 million to 1 contrast. It must have the .66 dmd chip, which they dont specify.
Link. https://www.optoma.co.uk/product-details/uhz65ust?utm_campaign=%5BUK%5D+UHZ65UST&utm_source =emailCampaign&utm_content=&utm_medium=email#speci fications

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.