JVC RS3000/DLA-NX9 worth the extra $$$ over RS2000/NX7? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 3 Post By goosecat
  • 3 Post By SirMaster
  • 1 Post By dkersten
  • 1 Post By microwiz
  • 2 Post By dkersten
  • 2 Post By Mike Garrett
  • 1 Post By malba2366

post #1 of 27 Old 02-10-2019, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 59
JVC RS3000/DLA-NX9 worth the extra $$$ over RS2000/NX7?

Ordered a JVC DLA-NX7 a week ago, still have 1-2 wk to wait. Now I'm wondering, should I have spent more for the RS3000/NX9 OR saved money and gotten the RS1000/NX5?

OK, so I have 3 separate questions:

1. If you bought/ordered the RS3000/NX9: I know the value proposition is totally subjective, but what are the truly standout reasons you all ordered the RS3000/DLA-NX9 for thousands more than the RS2000/DLA-NX7? I do want the best blacks and the best HDR experience possible, but is that worth $6-8K more? (I have a 156" scope screen so I need a lot of light).

2. If you bought/ordered the RS2000/NX7: is the NX7 really worth the $2K over the NX5? I read that both have equal brightness and DI (I thought the NX5 didn't have a DI, but someone corrected me in the official thread). Is the higher native CR noticeable? Or should I get the NX5 and spend the savings on an anamorphic lens (obviously not the $8K Panamorph DCR)?

3. Is it worth the slightly extra money for the RS*000 version over the DLA-NX* version?

Thanks in advance!

JVC DLA-NX9 / 156" 2.4:1 CIH Seymour AT screen / Marantz AV7704 11.2 / Yamaha MX-A5000 11-ch amp
HTPC MadVR RTX 2080 / 24TB PMS Server (direct UHD rips)
Adam A8X monitor LCR / RBH A-610 x 8 / Kef Ci160ER x 4 / HSU ULS-15
Secondary: Samsung UN82MU8000 / Marantz NR1607 AVR / Kef Q150 + Minx Min 10 / SVS SB-2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-11-2019, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
Ordered a JVC DLA-NX7 a week ago, still have 1-2 wk to wait. Now I'm wondering, should I have spent more for the RS3000/NX9 OR saved money and gotten the RS1000/NX5?

OK, so I have 3 separate questions:

1. If you bought/ordered the RS3000/NX9: I know the value proposition is totally subjective, but what are the truly standout reasons you all ordered the RS3000/DLA-NX9 for thousands more than the RS2000/DLA-NX7? I do want the best blacks and the best HDR experience possible, but is that worth $6-8K more? (I have a 156" scope screen so I need a lot of light).

2. If you bought/ordered the RS2000/NX7: is the NX7 really worth the $2K over the NX5? I read that both have equal brightness and DI (I thought the NX5 didn't have a DI, but someone corrected me in the official thread). Is the higher native CR noticeable? Or should I get the NX5 and spend the savings on an anamorphic lens (obviously not the $8K Panamorph DCR)?

3. Is it worth the slightly extra money for the RS*000 version over the DLA-NX* version?

Thanks in advance!
A lot of these are my thoughts, and I'm sure you're awaiting more info from the 2019 JVC vs Sony comparison thread as am I.

One big question is whether these units are using binned parts. I'm pretty sure the NX9 uses cherry picked NX7 parts, as was the case with the 790/990. And it has a better lens, which in itself probably contributes to the price significantly. But is the inverse true for the NX5? Is the NX5 using rejected NX7 parts? Sadly, we will probably not know unless an especially courageous reviewer tears an NX7 and NX5 apart and compares the guts.

The NX7 is a stretch for my budget. Hence the NX5 is appealing. A lot of people in the comparison thread are indicating that they may not use the 2020 filter because of the reduction in brightness. So the loss of that may be moot if going with an NX5. So the real question is how much better is the NX7 contrast than the NX5? How much blacker is the black floor of the NX7? How much brighter is the NX7 (presumably 100 lumens) How noticeable will the differences be side by side?

Unfortunately, it will be at least three more weeks before Arrow-AV is able to do his comparisons since he got a couple duds from JVC...

I am DanLW.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/member...103-danlw.html
post #3 of 27 Old 02-11-2019, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlw2 View Post
A lot of these are my thoughts, and I'm sure you're awaiting more info from the 2019 JVC vs Sony comparison thread as am I.

One big question is whether these units are using binned parts. I'm pretty sure the NX9 uses cherry picked NX7 parts, as was the case with the 790/990. And it has a better lens, which in itself probably contributes to the price significantly. But is the inverse true for the NX5? Is the NX5 using rejected NX7 parts? Sadly, we will probably not know unless an especially courageous reviewer tears an NX7 and NX5 apart and compares the guts.

The NX7 is a stretch for my budget. Hence the NX5 is appealing. A lot of people in the comparison thread are indicating that they may not use the 2020 filter because of the reduction in brightness. So the loss of that may be moot if going with an NX5. So the real question is how much better is the NX7 contrast than the NX5? How much blacker is the black floor of the NX7? How much brighter is the NX7 (presumably 100 lumens) How noticeable will the differences be side by side?

Unfortunately, it will be at least three more weeks before Arrow-AV is able to do his comparisons since he got a couple duds from JVC...
Theoretically they should use separate parts, at least for NX9 vs NX5/7. But cost-effectiveness would dictate the same part and binning 3 ways, with the NX5 most likely to get the lowest contrast or decent contrast but a few stuck pixels.

In retrospect I realize value is highly subjective and budget dependent, but I was hoping someone would sway me one way or the other. Obviously my heart wants the RS3000/NX9, but my head wants a good excuse to spend the extra money. Hahaha

JVC DLA-NX9 / 156" 2.4:1 CIH Seymour AT screen / Marantz AV7704 11.2 / Yamaha MX-A5000 11-ch amp
HTPC MadVR RTX 2080 / 24TB PMS Server (direct UHD rips)
Adam A8X monitor LCR / RBH A-610 x 8 / Kef Ci160ER x 4 / HSU ULS-15
Secondary: Samsung UN82MU8000 / Marantz NR1607 AVR / Kef Q150 + Minx Min 10 / SVS SB-2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 03-28-2019, 04:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4640 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by tian yu View Post
RS3000 8K without any source seems not usefull.
I thought exactly the same, but it was surprising. It did add detail.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #5 of 27 Old 03-28-2019, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I am considering all 3 versions as well.

REASONS TO JUMP TO THE RS3000 FROM THE RS2000
-300 more spec lumens. After adjusting settings/calibration though, the difference could be much less than 300.
-Slightly better spec contrast 100k vs 80k:1. Very unlikely to be noticeable in real viewing.
-More vertical lens shift (100% vs 80%). If you have a tall ceiling, you can mount the 3000 higher which may improve aesthetics and decrease noise.
-Greater throw range which allows for greater mounting flexibility. Can mount the 3000 closer to screen by about 1 foot depending on your throw distance. If you have a small room or limited mount points, this can make a difference.
-Better lens supposedly. It's bigger anyway. Might translate to real-world differences, or might not. The bigger lens may even be worse due to more internal reflections.
-8k eshift. In @markmon1 shootout, it noticeably improved sharpness on yokohama. However, you do need to pixel peep so real-world impact is probably minimal. 4k is already extremely sharp.
markmon1, Craig Peer and Reddig like this.
post #6 of 27 Old 03-28-2019, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Hard to answer that question without actually comparing the two side by side, same environment and settings. As far as the "binged" parts, maybe JVC improved their manufacturing process so that the parts being produced are more consistent with less variances.

Pioneer SC-95, Axiom M80, VP180 Dual EP500 all V4. ISCO III, RS540 + Stewart Cima Neve 133
post #7 of 27 Old 03-28-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Going from the rs520 to the rs2000, I would find it extremely difficult to pay more than double to go from the rs2000 to the rs3000 with such little difference between them. Maybe a $2000 difference but not $10,000. Unlike the rs4500, that projector not only has the quality lens but it is a laser projector with excellent dimming. The rs3000 has a better lens with the same features. We've been waiting for this shootout for close to 5 months now
post #8 of 27 Old 03-28-2019, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 355
It would have been a big stretch for me to get the RS3000 so I went with the RS2000 and now that I have it I can't imagine I would consider the RS3000 "worth it" based on the spec difference. I would only be willing to pay significantly more for a laser light source or dramatic increases in brightness, contrast, or both. The quality of the picture on the RS2000 is stunning to me.
post #9 of 27 Old 03-28-2019, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 391
All I can say is don’t assume the NX9 is brighter.

All 3 projectors use the same exact bulb.

If you know anything about how projector manufacturer companies measure lumens, you know that they always measure with lens zoomed as big as possible.

This is the only reason that the NX9 is brighter. Because it can throw the same size screen from a closer throw. It can zoom the image bigger at the same throw distance.

I tested a NX9 and NX5 in the same room with the same settings, mounted at around mid zoom range and measured each. The NX9 measured 16 foot candles and the NX5 measured 16.1 foot candles, so both the NX9 and NX5 measured basically the same brightness. Only when the NX9’s lens is zoomed past the limit of the NX5’s lens does it result in more lumens and why JVC lists the rated lumens higher.
mattztt, wombats and Aztar35 like this.
post #10 of 27 Old 03-29-2019, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I would say RS2000 is good enough for most people
post #11 of 27 Old 03-29-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
1-2 weeks? I've been waiting 5 months and still don't have one, lol. I sincerely hope you get one soon, but wouldn't it be ironic if people ordering these today are getting them before people who preordered at the end of October?...
wombats likes this.
post #12 of 27 Old 03-29-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
All I can say is don’t assume the NX9 is brighter.

All 3 projectors use the same exact bulb.

If you know anything about how projector manufacturer companies measure lumens, you know that they always measure with lens zoomed as big as possible.

This is the only reason that the NX9 is brighter. Because it can throw the same size screen from a closer throw. It can zoom the image bigger at the same throw distance.

I tested a NX9 and NX5 in the same room with the same settings, mounted at around mid zoom range and measured each. The NX9 measured 16 foot candles and the NX5 measured 16.1 foot candles, so both the NX9 and NX5 measured basically the same brightness. Only when the NX9’s lens is zoomed past the limit of the NX5’s lens does it result in more lumens and why JVC lists the rated lumens higher.
That would be disappointing, if you only get the light improvement by being that much closer and it does't apply to all distances that's not great value for the money.

I realize it's sharper but the improved lens on the NX5 is resolving fully so it's already extremely sharp. If I had 18k to spend your probably better off with a paladan and NX7 over NX9.
wombats likes this.

Pioneer SC-95, Axiom M80, VP180 Dual EP500 all V4. ISCO III, RS540 + Stewart Cima Neve 133
post #13 of 27 Old 03-29-2019, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
1-2 weeks? I've been waiting 5 months and still don't have one, lol. I sincerely hope you get one soon, but wouldn't it be ironic if people ordering these today are getting them before people who preordered at the end of October?...
I don't know about the NX7 and NX9, but on March 12th I finally decided to buy a NX5. I contacted my dealer that morning and he said his distributor had one in stock, so he placed the order and had it shipped from distributor to me and I received it the very next day as the distributor was not too far away from me and I was in 1 day shipping range.
post #14 of 27 Old 03-29-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know about the NX7 and NX9, but on March 12th I finally decided to buy a NX5. I contacted my dealer that morning and he said his distributor had one in stock, so he placed the order and had it shipped from distributor to me and I received it the very next day as the distributor was not too far away from me and I was in 1 day shipping range.
Yeah, most dealers have had the NX5's in stock since early Feb. I called my dealer back then to ask some questions and he had like 5 or 6 on the shelf that weren't spoken for. Everyone wants the NX7, and I got my preorder in after the first delay at the beginning of November, so I was at the end of the list.

I've been waiting for the Emotiva Atmos upgrade for the XMC-1 for over 2 years now, so I guess I am used to just waiting, lol.
post #15 of 27 Old 03-29-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwiz View Post
That would be disappointing, if you only get the light improvement by being that much closer and it does't apply to all distances that's not great value for the money.

I realize it's sharper but the improved lens on the NX5 is resolving fully so it's already extremely sharp. If I had 18k to spend your probably better off with a paladan and NX7 over NX9.
The lens on the NX9 is significantly larger diameter, so more light gets through, which accounts for the increase in lumens. I'm pretty sure the NX9 lens has the same 1.4 min throw as the others. When you are at minimum throw, the most area of the lens is being used, so the most amount of light gets through. You don't actually lose light over distance and lumens is not an area measurement, so actual distance from the lens to the screen isn't a factor, it is all about utilizing the most area of the lens to get the most light out of it that you can.

I have my projector at 18 feet for a 150" wide image, which is inches away from the minimum throw for that width, just so I can have the absolute most light I can get. If I moved it any closer, I couldn't zoom the image to fit my screen, and any further back I would be zooming the lens the other way, and utilizing less lens area, resulting in less light even though I would be projecting the same image size.
post #16 of 27 Old 03-29-2019, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The lens on the NX9 is significantly larger diameter, so more light gets through, which accounts for the increase in lumens. I'm pretty sure the NX9 lens has the same 1.4 min throw as the others. When you are at minimum throw, the most area of the lens is being used, so the most amount of light gets through. You don't actually lose light over distance and lumens is not an area measurement, so actual distance from the lens to the screen isn't a factor, it is all about utilizing the most area of the lens to get the most light out of it that you can.

I have my projector at 18 feet for a 150" wide image, which is inches away from the minimum throw for that width, just so I can have the absolute most light I can get. If I moved it any closer, I couldn't zoom the image to fit my screen, and any further back I would be zooming the lens the other way, and utilizing less lens area, resulting in less light even though I would be projecting the same image size.
They don't have quite the same throw ranges.

All I know is that when both the NX5 and NX9 were about 20 feet away from the wall throwing a 180" diagonal image, using the same light meter measured them at basically the same brightness.

Of course this is only a single data point and it could also be explained also by random bulb variations. But it does prove at least that you can't always guarantee that an NX9 will be brighter.
post #17 of 27 Old 03-29-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They don't have quite the same throw ranges.
Yeah I just looked it up too, lol. 1.36 vs 1.30. But that calculates to less than 2% difference in light at minimum throw, and we are talking a rated difference of 10%. And since the lamp and the chips are the same, the rest of the difference comes down to lens diameter.

But the reality is, that 10% difference is so minimal that you may not notice without a direct A/B comparison. When you then consider (as you mentioned) that bulb variances can be over 10%, that gap can potentially be closed. It is more likely the NX9 will be brighter than the NX7, but certainly not guaranteed.

In other words, don't buy the NX9 for the added lumens. It's all about the lens as far as I am concerned, and as much as I would LOVE to have that lens, it isn't worth $10k to me. 8k e-shift DEFINITELY isn't worth the added cost.
SirMaster and mattztt like this.
post #18 of 27 Old 03-29-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I have a pre-order on the NX7 and have been watching the comparison results trickle in. The NX9 is well beyond the point of diminishing returns when it comes to price. The 8k eShift does make the picture look sharper, but only by a small amount. See the comparison photos here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post57821190

As someone said earlier in this thread, it's probably better to get an NX5 or NX7 and put extra money towards an anamorphic lens for better brightness. Unless you need aditional brightness beyond that or unless you absolutely require the best of the best experience, you can pass on the NX9.

The NX5 vs NX7 question I cannot answer until we see them go head to head with some real measurements.
post #19 of 27 Old 03-29-2019, 11:52 AM

There's definitively value in the NX9 over NX7, don't get me wrong I would love to have an NX9 but if you are on a budget then a NX5 or NX7 plus A-lens is something to consider for less money.

post #20 of 27 Old 03-29-2019, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11822 Post(s)
Liked: 9353
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Yeah, most dealers have had the NX5's in stock since early Feb. I called my dealer back then to ask some questions and he had like 5 or 6 on the shelf that weren't spoken for. Everyone wants the NX7, and I got my preorder in after the first delay at the beginning of November, so I was at the end of the list.

I've been waiting for the Emotiva Atmos upgrade for the XMC-1 for over 2 years now, so I guess I am used to just waiting, lol.
Compared to Emotiva, JVC will be in record time. You can see Glaciers move, in Emo time.
dkersten and BBLV like this.
post #21 of 27 Old 03-30-2019, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsv View Post
I would say RS2000 is good enough for most people
Well, I would say it's the sweet spot for price and features when comparing all three projectors in the new JVC line.

Quote:
1-2 weeks? I've been waiting 5 months and still don't have one, lol.
Well, I had the opportunity for a late fall pre-order as well. I passed. Fast forward to mid-February and my dealer said a few who had ordered in October/November got their deposits back and bought other projectors. I jumped then, but I'm still probably two weeks away (best case) from getting mine.
post #22 of 27 Old 03-30-2019, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwiz View Post
There's definitively value in the NX9 over NX7, don't get me wrong I would love to have an NX9 but if you are on a budget then a NX5 or NX7 plus A-lens is something to consider for less money.
Yup, I am not regretting my RS2000 and DCR lens at all. I am glad I saved the money from the RS3000 and bought a lens that will last a lot of projectors for me.

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One
post #23 of 27 Old 03-31-2019, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 79
The RS2000 is the sweet spot of the lineup...it is a significant jump above the RS1000 in performance for a roughly 30% increase in price. The RS3000 at roughly double the price of the RS2000 is a smaller step up so the law of diminishing returns is in effect big time.

For me the step up to the RS2000 was a no brainer, but I could not justify the RS3000. For most people who are buying a projector to enjoy content the RS2000 is the one to get. If you are into critical viewing and are more concerned with image perfection than with the content then the RS3000 is for you.
Todd G. likes this.
post #24 of 27 Old 03-31-2019, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
The RS2000 is the sweet spot of the lineup...it is a significant jump above the RS1000 in performance for a roughly 30% increase in price. The RS3000 at roughly double the price of the RS2000 is a smaller step up so the law of diminishing returns is in effect big time.

For me the step up to the RS2000 was a no brainer, but I could not justify the RS3000. For most people who are buying a projector to enjoy content the RS2000 is the one to get. If you are into critical viewing and are more concerned with image perfection than with the content then the RS3000 is for you.

I’m curious what you saw as a big jump up between the 1000 and 2000? I saw both and I saw pretty much no real difference between them. The main thing that I could see was the better color gamut coverage with the 2000 and it’s BT2020 color filter, but many people don’t even use that as you lose lumens with it.

I couldn’t see any real noticeable contrast difference to my eyes.
post #25 of 27 Old 04-01-2019, 07:47 AM

I'm looking forward to some pro reviews comparing the 1000, 2000 and 3000. The 1000 has better contrast than most projectors outside of JVC. I would think it would be on par with a Sony 695ES which everyone loves.

post #26 of 27 Old 04-01-2019, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11822 Post(s)
Liked: 9353
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I’m curious what you saw as a big jump up between the 1000 and 2000? I saw both and I saw pretty much no real difference between them. The main thing that I could see was the better color gamut coverage with the 2000 and it’s BT2020 color filter, but many people don’t even use that as you lose lumens with it.

I couldn’t see any real noticeable contrast difference to my eyes.
With the new models, you are losing very few lumens, so I would think that most people will use the color filter.
post #27 of 27 Old 04-01-2019, 08:40 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6404 Post(s)
Liked: 6398
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post
Going from the rs520 to the rs2000, I would find it extremely difficult to pay more than double to go from the rs2000 to the rs3000 with such little difference between them. Maybe a $2000 difference but not $10,000. Unlike the rs4500, that projector not only has the quality lens but it is a laser projector with excellent dimming. The rs3000 has a better lens with the same features. We've been waiting for this shootout for close to 5 months now
Their are some diminishing returns in there for sure. I guess it all comes down to how deep your pockets are.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , nx7 , nx9 , rs2000 , rs3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page