The 2019 Model SONY vs JVC Projectors Comparison Thread - Page 101 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2861Likes

post #3001 of 3021 Old 02-06-2020, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk504 View Post
Do you all think we'll be getting new Sony and JVC 4k projectors this year, and maybe Epson native 4k? Or will the focus be more on 8K?
I’m sure it will come but can’t see it within the next 3 years. I imagine streaming 8K will require a sizeable jump in internet speed across the country, here in the UK fibre is continuing to be rolled out but in urban areas it is painfully slow to even get what most would class as a crap internet speed never mind an average one.

When we class 1ft per 10” of screen diagonal the point where 4k becomes beneficial over 1080p then how close would you really need to be to truly see the improvements of 8K over 4K?
Dirk504 and Archibald1 like this.

Epson EH-TW9400 - QualGear Fixed Frame 100” - Sony x700 BRP & Panasonic 420 BRP - Sony 1080 AVR - IPL Acoustics M1TLs & IPL Acoustics AVC Pro Centre, Four KEF surrounds & 2 Sub boxes (10” Sub + 10” Passive Radiator)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 3021 Old 02-06-2020, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My local dealer said they expect new Sony PJs by the fall. We will see.
Dirk504 likes this.
post #3003 of 3021 Old 02-06-2020, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 7598 Post(s)
Liked: 9363
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemannthey View Post
Sony would never leak that information - so that dealer is just guessing.
Archibald1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3004 of 3021 Old 02-06-2020, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 276 Post(s)
Quoted: 13152 Post(s)
Liked: 10790
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Do you all think we'll be getting new Sony and JVC 4k projectors this year, and maybe Epson native 4k? Or will the focus be more on 8K?
We can be pretty sure that there will be no 8K projector from Epson. They still need to release a 4K model. I also would not be holding my breath for 8K from JVC or Sony. Hopefully Sony improves their 4K models. As for JVC, maybe small changes to existing 4k models.
Dirk504 likes this.
post #3005 of 3021 Old 02-06-2020, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2398 Post(s)
Liked: 1298
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
We can be pretty sure that there will be no 8K projector from Epson. They still need to release a 4K model. I also would not be holding my breath for 8K from JVC or Sony. Hopefully Sony improves their 4K models. As for JVC, maybe small changes to existing 4k models.
I think 8K for all but the very largest of screens is a high road to nowhere. No one is really going to sit close enough for it to really matter in 99% of home spaces. 4K really needs to get stabilised and the standards properly sorted before another thing gets added to the mix too!

These manufacturers need to seriously rethink their polices regarding electronic waste and how to avoid it. What better way to do that than to keep niche products such as these going for as long as possible between model iterations.

I think the current range of Both JVC and Sony have more to give before they force people to spend an ever increasing amount on any new models.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 02-13-2020 at 04:23 AM.
post #3006 of 3021 Old 02-06-2020, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
I think 8K for all but the very largest of screens is a high road to nowhere. No one is really going to sit close enough for it to really matter in 99% of home spaces. 4K really needs to get stabilised and the standards properly sorted before another thing gets added to the mix too!

These manufacturers need to seriously rethink their polices regarding electronic waste and how to avoid it. What better way to do that than to keep niche products such as these going for as long as possible between model iterations.

I think the current range of Both JVC and Sony have more to give before they force people to spend and ever increasing amount on any new models.
Good points. In this respect, it would be nice if they would consider some form of built in firmware that could upgradeable even if there was a cost associated with the new/improved adjustments. This way the whole unit doesn't have to be changed.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #3007 of 3021 Old 02-06-2020, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Good points. In this respect, it would be nice if they would consider some form of built in firmware that could upgradeable even if there was a cost associated with the new/improved adjustments. This way the whole unit doesn't have to be changed.
Indeed.

The chassis of the 760/870, for example, is a good one. The main board is relatively easily replaceable and firmware is easy to update.

I would be quite happy to keep my chassis going with upgrades to the software (with a mainboard upgrade if necessary) and keep it running for as long as possible.

They simply need to change their model from unit shifting to upgradeable and supported longevity.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by Archibald1; 02-13-2020 at 04:24 AM.
post #3008 of 3021 Old 02-06-2020, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Yep I agree with all of you. I have no interest in 8k. It's just that's where most TV's are headed. I only really want 8k projectors so the price of 4k PJs will come down lol. I'm really just hoping Sony can release a better and affordable native 4k PJ, and I'm interested in the improvements JVC can make to an already impressive lineup. Would be awesome if Sony released a PJ with their version of DTM.
Craig Peer and Archibald1 like this.

Last edited by Dirk504; 02-06-2020 at 03:26 PM.
post #3009 of 3021 Old 02-11-2020, 10:09 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7134 Post(s)
Liked: 7175
Quote:
We will know at Cedia, but I bet they have new models as well. They have to answer back after JVC released there firmware for HDR
post #3010 of 3021 Old 02-11-2020, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Indeed.

The chassis of the 760/870, for example) is a good one. The main board is relatively easily replaceable and firmware is easy to update.

I would be quite happy to keep my chassis going with upgrades to the software (with a mainboard upgrade if necessary) and keep it running for as long as possible.

They simply need to change their model from unit shifting to upgradeable and supported longevity.
Yes a modular projector, which can have upgraded h/w components and s/w, novel concept, and energy conservation compliant.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Archibald1 likes this.

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) JVC NX5/Elite Lunette 2 120"
post #3011 of 3021 Old 02-12-2020, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any technical reason Sony couldn't release firmware updates for the 295/695 etc to match JVC's "hdr tone mapping" or is this something that the hardware of the Sony's just physically couldn't do?

No more training do you require, already know you that which you need.
post #3012 of 3021 Old 02-12-2020, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Is there any technical reason Sony couldn't release firmware updates for the 295/695 etc to match JVC's "hdr tone mapping" or is this something that the hardware of the Sony's just physically couldn't do?
I have heard rumors Sony is working on something, but nothing has officially been announced that I know of.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #3013 of 3021 Old 02-13-2020, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post
I have heard rumors Sony is working on something, but nothing has officially been announced that I know of.
Looking at the pure specs then there really isn't anything that would not allow some form of DTM.

The X1 chip is capable of Object Based HDR Remaster, Super Bit Mapping HDR and Dynamic Contrast Enhancement. The X1 Extreme is capable of those and Dual Database Processing and Precision Colour Mapping.
So I think they are both perfectly capable of being handed DTM.
The 295/270 and 695/570 share the same processing as the 885/760 and 995/870.

If they released new lamp based units with DTM and gave laser users a firmware/possible hardware update, I could dig that. Better yet though, a DTM update for all models!!

What is the point of a 10-20 year (depending on usage) light source on the laser units if they want you to buy a new machine every three years? What a waste of resources.

I too have heard that DTM is being looked at/worked on. I remain hopeful they will throw us a bone on the current models. We shall see.

Stephen Hawking.
post #3014 of 3021 Old 02-13-2020, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Quote:
We will know at Cedia, but I bet they have new models as well. They have to answer back after JVC released there firmware for HDR [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
It’s been a while. If I am right, no new projectors that would qualify for this thread (over 3k under 20k) have been announced by either company since 2018. Milking last round with no real competition
Archibald1 likes this.
post #3015 of 3021 Old 02-13-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:

What is the point of a 10-20 year (depending on usage) light source on the laser units if they want you to buy a new machine every three years? What a waste of resources.

I too have heard that DTM is being looked at/worked on. I remain hopeful they will throw us a bone on the current models. We shall see.
If they leave existing owners without DTM, you still have the option to add a Lumagen or Envy for probably even better DTM. Might even cost less than a projector upgrade.
post #3016 of 3021 Old 02-13-2020, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
If they leave existing owners without DTM, you still have the option to add a Lumagen or Envy for probably even better DTM. Might even cost less than a projector upgrade.
That is indeed an option if all else fails, but what I really want to avoid is yet *another* box in my video chain....
tigerhonaker and Azekecse like this.

Stephen Hawking.
post #3017 of 3021 Old 02-13-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
That is indeed an option if all else fails, but what I really want to avoid is yet *another* box in my video chain....
I know, and I get it. On the other hand, another box can liberate you from whatever the manufacturer of your projector does or does not do. And do DTM even better and other things too.
Archibald1 likes this.
post #3018 of 3021 Old 02-13-2020, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I know, and I get it. On the other hand, another box can liberate you from whatever the manufacturer of your projector does or does not do. And do DTM even better and other things too.
Good point.

If I had invested in a video processor early on I would not be caring less about DTM now.

But...…. that is not the case unfortunately. I will have a tough job at this stage convincing my good lady wife to let me part with x-thousand sovs, for 'a box'. Some sums are easier to convince with than others.
Craig Peer likes this.

Stephen Hawking.
post #3019 of 3021 Old 02-13-2020, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovox View Post
It’s been a while. If I am right, no new projectors that would qualify for this thread (over 3k under 20k) have been announced by either company since 2018. Milking last round with no real competition
That is what I think too and nothing wrong with that. Means they can ease up on R&D and get a fuller return on the investment made thus far.

These native 4K devices (JVC and Sony) look pretty spectacular already! They can eek more out of current models yet if you ask me.

Until these things become completely outmoded, by say 8K (regardless of how necessary it is in reality), then they have no need for new hardware for a while yet IMO.
Craig Peer likes this.

Stephen Hawking.
post #3020 of 3021 Old Today, 06:47 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 3074 Post(s)
Liked: 2194
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnovox View Post
Given the previous 3 rounds of JVC projectors were basically firmware updates, and Sony have been doing basically nothing other than fixing panel life issues it seems, the current models sticking around is no bad thing. The constant "new "model" cycle we seemed to get into with no significant benefit was very dull.
post #3021 of 3021 Old Today, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
The constant "new "model" cycle we seemed to get into with no significant benefit was very dull.
And expensive . . . (for some)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
2019 , Jvc , projector , Projectors , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page