The 2019 Model SONY vs JVC Projectors Comparison Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1892Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 1793 Old 02-14-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,664
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2120 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
It's just a theory, but I'm assuming that is what happens, though I don't have absolute proof.
That's okay. It's still food for thought.
Aztar35 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 1793 Old 02-14-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,421
Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3537 Post(s)
Liked: 4223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Thanks, Enrico. You just saved me from taking the time to measure that. It's visibly plenty bright in low lamp and that's how I run it, so I didn't bother. Lol. But does that mean Mark's theory inferred from his experience with the Sonys is now thrown out the window, or should Nigel still test for the difference?
I think for the sake of putting things to rest, @ARROW-AV should test for the difference, and I'm sure he will Just the fact that in the past some people measured a difference of 55%, that doesn't mean that Sony is still carrying the same difference down to the new models. To be honest, I don't care what other people measurements are as my 295ES is brighter than I was expecting, to the point that with most HDR movies I run it in low lamp.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1| Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #63 of 1793 Old 02-14-2019, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,664
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2120 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I think for the sake of putting things to rest, @ARROW-AV should test for the difference, and I'm sure he will Just the fact that in the past some people measured a difference of 55%, that doesn't mean that Sony is still carrying the same difference down to the new models. To be honest, I don't care what other people measurements are as my 295ES is brighter than I was expecting, to the point that with most HDR movies I run it in low lamp.
Right. That's why I didn't actually measure mine. Low lamp on a 16x9 133 inch/ 2.35:1 125 inch 1.1 gain screen with mine is plenty bright. The 695ES has a 280 watt lamp and the JVC NX9 is only 265 watts; I guess because of the lens/light patch and how power is delivered the JVC is brighter.

Last edited by Aztar35; 02-14-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Aztar35 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 1793 Old 02-14-2019, 08:31 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Right. That's why I didn't actually measure mine. Low lamp on a 16x9 133 inch/ 2.35:1 125 inch 1.1 gain screen with mine is plenty bright. The 695ES has a 280 watt lamp and the JVC NX9 is only 265 watts; I guess because of the lens/light patch and how power is delivered the JVC is brighter.
Yeah, that’s why I thought it would be bright enough for me in low on a 2.35:1 112 inch 1.0 screen in the shortest throw but it isn’t for HDR, I’m using an HTPC with the newest madVR builds. I’d be fine with about 1000 lumens but not 700.
jamnik is offline  
post #65 of 1793 Old 02-14-2019, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,664
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2120 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamnik View Post
Yeah, that’s why I thought it would be bright enough for me in low on a 2.35:1 112 inch 1.0 screen in the shortest throw but it isn’t for HDR, I’m using an HTPC with the newest madVR builds. I’d be fine with about 1000 lumens but not 700.
Your lux reading was 318 in low lamp taken off the front of the lens area?
Aztar35 is offline  
post #66 of 1793 Old 02-14-2019, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central U.S.
Posts: 2,811
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 973
@ARROW-AV Thank you very much for all your hard work and dedication to this comparison. It will be absolutely enlightening and interesting as can be. You are doing a great service for the community and I thank you. No response needed just wanted to put that out there. Your hard work is invaluable.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
Reddig is offline  
post #67 of 1793 Old 02-14-2019, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,027
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4218 Post(s)
Liked: 2646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Thanks, Enrico. You just saved me from taking the time to measure that. It's visibly plenty bright in low lamp and that's how I run it, so I didn't bother. Lol. But does that mean Mark's theory inferred from his experience with the Sonys is now thrown out the window, or should Nigel still test for the difference?
I think you should still measure. The 675ES was for sure around 58% of high on low. I don't have 285ES lumen measurements in my spreadsheet so I can't say how that was, therefore, I can't argue against 1350/950.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I think for the sake of putting things to rest, @ARROW-AV should test for the difference, and I'm sure he will Just the fact that in the past some people measured a difference of 55%, that doesn't mean that Sony is still carrying the same difference down to the new models. To be honest, I don't care what other people measurements are as my 295ES is brighter than I was expecting, to the point that with most HDR movies I run it in low lamp.


But it hasn't changed between the 285/295 and 675/695. Otherwise the bulb life estimate would change as well. There just weren't a lot of changes on these projectors anyway. Mostly just same thing with improved HDMI.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #68 of 1793 Old 02-14-2019, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,421
Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3537 Post(s)
Liked: 4223
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I think you should still measure. The 675ES was for sure around 58% of high on low. I don't have 285ES lumen measurements in my spreadsheet so I can't say how that was, therefore, I can't argue against 1350/950.

But it hasn't changed between the 285/295 and 675/695. Otherwise the bulb life estimate would change as well. There just weren't a lot of changes on these projectors anyway. Mostly just same thing with improved HDMI.
Mark, you know as well that advertised lamp life on Sony projectors is just marketing as the lamp after 600 hours drops like a cliff (if the lamp makes it up to 600 hours). I change my projectors lamp right before 600 hours no matter the brightness. The only projectors I let the lamp run more than 1200 hours are the Christies just because each lamp cost more than $600. Also, on the Christies the lamp drops more than 60% after 1500 hours.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1| Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #69 of 1793 Old 02-14-2019, 10:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Your lux reading was 318 in low lamp taken off the front of the lens area?
It was around 155 lux (off the lens at the screen) in cinema 1 in low lamp. Max I measured with any setting in high lamp was about 320 lux.
jamnik is offline  
post #70 of 1793 Old 02-14-2019, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,027
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4218 Post(s)
Liked: 2646
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Mark, you know as well that advertised lamp life on Sony projectors is just marketing as the lamp after 600 hours drops like a cliff (if the lamp makes it up to 600 hours). I change my projectors lamp right before 600 hours no matter the brightness. The only projectors I let the lamp run more than 1200 hours are the Christies just because each lamp cost more than $600. Also, on the Christies the lamp drops more than 60% after 1500 hours.
My 675ES lamp died *hard* at 880 hours. Everyone told me it was a defect. The JVC lamps, if you run on low, last forever. 2500-3500 hours without that much drop.
Anyways, I have an RS4500 now what do I care

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #71 of 1793 Old 02-15-2019, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,027
Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4218 Post(s)
Liked: 2646
Ok I pulled up my spreadsheet on the 675ES. It seems that the difference between low and high can vary with the bulb. Perhaps some bulbs produce less light when driven less and its not purely linear. This would explain some of the variance.

Anyway. All readings taken on Bright TV setting:
Sony 675ES
2/15/2018: 210 Hours Low 1111 Lumens
2/15/2018: 210 Hours High 1816 Lumens 61.2% difference.
5/28/2018: 881 Hours Low 625 Lumens
5/28/2018: 881 Hours High 1025 Lumens 61.0% difference <-- bulb died hard here and was swapped on 6/8
6/08/2018: 0 Hours Low 935 Lumens
6/08/2018: 0 Hours High 1645 Lumens 56.8% difference
7/04/2018: 57 Hours Low 967 Lumens
7/04/2018: 57 Hours High 1701 Lumens 56.9% difference <-- bulb increased a little brightness on break in

JVC is consistently around 72% low to high, which makes a huge difference.
JVC RS500
6/08/2018: 2880 Hours Low 1272 Lumens
6/08/2018: 2880 Hours High 1774 Lumens 71.7% <-- look how awesome this bulb is at 2880 hours.

JVC RS640
6/22/2018: 69 Hours Low 1156 Lumens
6/22/2018: 69 Hours High 1608 Lumens 71.9% <-- New RS640 b-stock. Mike said RS640 was just dimmer than RS500. Didnt buy it so swapped the bulb
6/23/2018: 0 Hours Low 1427 Lumens
6/23/2018: 0 Hours High 1900 Lumens 75.1%
10/08/2018: 500 Hours Low 1216 Lumens
10/08/2018: 500 Hours High 1659 Lumens 73.4%
Reddig likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
markmon1 is offline  
post #72 of 1793 Old 02-15-2019, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rwestley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 7,098
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I just found this on a German Forum. Ekki from Cine 4 Home published this for the N5. I can't find the direct link.
# 3737 created: Today , 08:13
Dear big-picture friends,

Ekki published the first measurements of a N5 last night in his FB group.

I just write them down here:

16000: 1 to 20000: 1 depending on the zoom, Iris open
1450 to 1160 lumens depending on the zoom, iris open

Ansi 190: 1

DCI just under 90% Red is a bit away from the target point.

ADL:

on / off 15000: 1

1% 5900: 1

2% 3700: 1

5% 1800: 1

10% 900: 1

20% 550.1

50% 190: 1

Contrast drop in the ADL probably depends on the total light path. Interplay of Zoom Lensshift etc. similar to the values ​​of the N9
SpykeSIK likes this.
rwestley is online now  
post #73 of 1793 Old 02-15-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,319
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I just found this on a German Forum. Ekki from Cine 4 Home published this for the N5. I can't find the direct link.
# 3737 created: Today , 08:13
Dear big-picture friends,

Ekki published the first measurements of a N5 last night in his FB group.

I just write them down here:

16000: 1 to 20000: 1 depending on the zoom, Iris open
1450 to 1160 lumens depending on the zoom, iris open

Ansi 190: 1

DCI just under 90% Red is a bit away from the target point.

ADL:

on / off 15000: 1

1% 5900: 1

2% 3700: 1

5% 1800: 1

10% 900: 1

20% 550.1

50% 190: 1


Contrast drop in the ADL probably depends on the total light path. Interplay of Zoom Lensshift etc. similar to the values ​​of the N9
Looking like DLP to me...
coolgeek is offline  
post #74 of 1793 Old 02-15-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,664
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2120 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I just found this on a German Forum.


[....]

Ansi 190: 1

[....]

5% 1800: 1

10% 900: 1

20% 550.1

50% 190: 1

Contrast drop in the ADL probably depends on the total light path. Interplay of Zoom Lensshift etc. similar to the values ​​of the N9
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Looking like DLP to me...


I won't get started on talking about washed out faces set against bright backgrounds because I already jumped ship on these new JVCs a while ago.

And keep in mind that even the low to mid-range DLPs can show higher ANSI contrast measurements, closer to the Sony 4k machines.

Oh, and P.S., remember that ANSI contrast is irrelevant --unless there's talk that the new JVCs will have a 50% ANSI contrast increase, then it's worth talking about.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #75 of 1793 Old 02-15-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,421
Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3537 Post(s)
Liked: 4223
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I just found this on a German Forum. Ekki from Cine 4 Home published this for the N5. I can't find the direct link.
# 3737 created: Today , 08:13
Dear big-picture friends,

Ekki published the first measurements of a N5 last night in his FB group.

I just write them down here:

16000: 1 to 20000: 1 depending on the zoom, Iris open
1450 to 1160 lumens depending on the zoom, iris open

Ansi 190: 1

DCI just under 90% Red is a bit away from the target point.

ADL:

on / off 15000: 1

1% 5900: 1

2% 3700: 1

5% 1800: 1

10% 900: 1

20% 550.1

50% 190: 1

Contrast drop in the ADL probably depends on the total light path. Interplay of Zoom Lensshift etc. similar to the values ​​of the N9
Hey Ekki @Cine4Home would you mind share more details about these measurements? We really appreciate your input. Thanks!!

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Emotiva XMC-1| Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #76 of 1793 Old 02-15-2019, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
BondDonBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: US
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post
I just found this on a German Forum.


[....]

Ansi 190: 1

[....]

5% 1800: 1

10% 900: 1

20% 550.1

50% 190: 1

Contrast drop in the ADL probably depends on the total light path. Interplay of Zoom Lensshift etc. similar to the values ​​of the N9
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Looking like DLP to me...
[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]

I won't get started on talking about washed out faces set against bright backgrounds because I already jumped ship on these new JVCs a while ago.

And keep in mind that even the low to mid-range DLPs can show higher ANSI contrast measurements, closer to the Sony 4k machines. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Oh, and P.S., remember that ANSI contrast is irrelevant --unless there's talk that the new JVCs will have a 50% ANSI contrast increase, then it's worth talking about. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG]
You know what is great is that I still have my UHD65. On the 24 10 people from here will be able to see an uncalibrated RS2000 vs DLP. I am sure they will see the same thing that shocked my wife and I. Not even close.
llang269 likes this.

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One
BondDonBond is offline  
post #77 of 1793 Old 02-15-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,319
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post


I won't get started on talking about washed out faces set against bright backgrounds because I already jumped ship on these new JVCs a while ago.

And keep in mind that even the low to mid-range DLPs can show higher ANSI contrast measurements, closer to the Sony 4k machines.

Oh, and P.S., remember that ANSI contrast is irrelevant --unless there's talk that the new JVCs will have a 50% ANSI contrast increase, then it's worth talking about.
For a few years, 4K wasn't worth talking about... contrast was all that matters... and suddenly now everyone's selling their E-Shift for 'less' contrast..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
You know what is great is that I still have my UHD65. On the 24 10 people from here will be able to see an uncalibrated RS2000 vs DLP. I am sure they will see the same thing that shocked my wife and I. Not even close.
I have actually seen quite a few of those $1K DLPs and they are pretty stunning for the price... will definitely be awesome to see what you thought of them side by side...
coolgeek is offline  
post #78 of 1793 Old 02-15-2019, 02:26 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,359
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
For a few years, 4K wasn't worth talking about... contrast was all that matters... and suddenly now everyone's selling their E-Shift for 'less' contrast..
Also, we are just recently learning our eshift unit is a dud, which is coming just a wee bit late in the game, if not too convenient in a conversation of new alternatives.

I would love for AVS to revert to a policy of a little less SALES and a little more SCIENCE.
Bytehoven is offline  
post #79 of 1793 Old 02-15-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cine4Home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Hey Ekki @Cine4Home would you mind share more details about these measurements? We really appreciate your input. Thanks!!
Sure;

Actually the N5 I have has major problems with Halos, Streaking, Scattered light and Ghosting. It is either a defective unit or the lens has very bad coating,

Regards,
Ekki
woofer, jherring69, d.j. and 3 others like this.
Cine4Home is offline  
post #80 of 1793 Old 02-15-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
woofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SwiftsCreek, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,366
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cine4Home View Post
Sure;

Actually the N5 I have has major problems with Halos, Streaking, Scattered light and Ghosting. It is either a defective unit or the lens has very bad coating,

Regards,
Ekki
A defective unit No!!!! Never.
jherring69 and Archibald1 like this.
woofer is offline  
post #81 of 1793 Old 02-15-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cine4Home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
A defective unit No!!!! Never.

Well it measures ok actually (200:1 ANSI + 15,000:1 On/Off is pretty normal).

However its visible intra scene contrast ist really poor overall. I will have to check another unit before I jump to conclusions.

It is really strange. How can pass that the QA? What is JVC thinking???
Spizz, SpykeSIK, Aztar35 and 1 others like this.
Cine4Home is offline  
post #82 of 1793 Old 02-15-2019, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
BondDonBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: US
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
For a few years, 4K wasn't worth talking about... contrast was all that matters... and suddenly now everyone's selling their E-Shift for 'less' contrast..



I have actually seen quite a few of those $1K DLPs and they are pretty stunning for the price... will definitely be awesome to see what you thought of them side by side...
Don’t get me wrong that DLP was GREAT! If it was just some side thing that I wanted a projector to casually watch some movies I would have stuck with it. But this is our thing. We don’t buy campers, motorcycles, fancy cars. So we strive for the best we can afford. That is a RS2000 with a DCR lens and we are VERY happy enthusiast right now.
jherring69 and Aztar35 like this.

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One
BondDonBond is offline  
post #83 of 1793 Old 02-15-2019, 03:32 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,359
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cine4Home View Post
Well it measures ok actually (200:1 ANSI + 15,000:1 On/Off is pretty normal).

However its visible intra scene contrast ist really poor overall. I will have to check another unit before I jump to conclusions.

It is really strange. How can pass that the QA? What is JVC thinking???
As long as we have some saying, despite "xzy" the projector throws a great image, and how many buyers might never know what they are missing, why would JVC do anything else?

There is an obvious effort to obfuscate critical observations in favor of several narratives, none of which would caution potential buyers regarding this new series until its clear the problems are resolved.

At this point, anyone who ignores the negative reports in favor of more positive sales spin and brand advocacy, have nothing to blame but their own lack of due diligence.
Highjinx and Aztar35 like this.
Bytehoven is offline  
post #84 of 1793 Old 02-15-2019, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
BondDonBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: US
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
As long as we have some saying, despite "xzy" the projector throws a great image, and how many buyers might never know what they are missing, why would JVC do anything else?

There is an obvious effort to obfuscate critical observations in favor of several narratives, none of which would caution potential buyers regarding this new series until its clear the problems are resolved.

At this point, anyone who ignores the negative reports in favor of more positive sales spin and brand advocacy, have nothing to blame but their own lack of due diligence.
Exactly why Sony is so large in the mid to high range market. Sales, Sales, Sales. Dealers get more profit from it and they are in all the chain stores. Everyone sells for the same amount. Name me a brand that isn’t hyped. Also please name me a brand that does not have issues....please. Pick your poison because they all have issues.
coxy2416, llang269 and Archibald1 like this.

Home Theater: JVC NX7, Stewart 120" 2:35 StudioTech 130, Panamorph DCR Lens, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, Panasonic 820, Apple TV, XBox One
BondDonBond is offline  
post #85 of 1793 Old 02-15-2019, 04:02 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 6,359
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1243 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Exactly why Sony is so large in the mid to high range market. Sales, Sales, Sales. Dealers get more profit from it and they are in all the chain stores. Everyone sells for the same amount. Name me a brand that isn’t hyped. Also please name me a brand that does not have issues....please. Pick your poison because they all have issues.
Thank you for proving my point.
Cine4Home and Archibald1 like this.
Bytehoven is offline  
post #86 of 1793 Old 02-15-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,664
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2120 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
As long as we have some saying, despite "xzy" the projector throws a great image, and how many buyers might never know what they are missing, why would JVC do anything else?

There is an obvious effort to obfuscate critical observations in favor of several narratives, none of which would caution potential buyers regarding this new series until its clear the problems are resolved.

At this point, anyone who ignores the negative reports in favor of more positive sales spin and brand advocacy, have nothing to blame but their own lack of due diligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BondDonBond View Post
Exactly why Sony is so large in the mid to high range market. Sales, Sales, Sales. Dealers get more profit from it and they are in all the chain stores. Everyone sells for the same amount. Name me a brand that isn’t hyped. Also please name me a brand that does not have issues....please. Pick your poison because they all have issues.
I'm happy for you and everyone else who makes good use of their AV equipment. I don't mean to impute words to another person, but would point out that Byte also owns a JVC. --I've owned JVCs for years. No one here is brand bashing.

I will say, however, that the material on this site, in the aggregate, discouraged me from purchasing a Sony. But for the fact of that whole JVC launch/delay fiasco re: the company's native 4K machines (by the way, I still would not have my NX9 by now), I would not have ventured forth and purchased a Sony. I'm grateful for the delays in that I'm glad I did.

The point here is not that one brand is better; the point, in this context, I think is that no person should come on a website re-purposed to serve as a knowledge database and blanket pitch any one brand as virtually infallible over another.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #87 of 1793 Old 03-03-2019, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,796
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
I'm happy for you and everyone else who makes good use of their AV equipment. I don't mean to impute words to another person, but would point out that Byte also owns a JVC. --I've owned JVCs for years. No one here is brand bashing.

I will say, however, that the material on this site, in the aggregate, discouraged me from purchasing a Sony. But for the fact of that whole JVC launch/delay fiasco re: the company's native 4K machines (by the way, I still would not have my NX9 by now), I would not have ventured forth and purchased a Sony. I'm grateful for the delays in that I'm glad I did.

The point here is not that one brand is better; the point, in this context, I think is that no person should come on a website re-purposed to serve as a knowledge database and blanket pitch any one brand as virtually infallible over another.
Amen to that brother!
Aztar35 likes this.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Archibald1 is offline  
post #88 of 1793 Old 03-04-2019, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,319
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Amen to that brother!
Yes, if I just read thru the forums, i would think the Sony's are junk.. that's how it comes out to be...

but having own one for years, and then have 2 different Sonys including the latest 760ES, i am now able to take everything i read with a grain of salt...

The Sony 760ES (even without the dynamic iris) is now my favorite projector... easily beating out the NX9 even...
coolgeek is offline  
post #89 of 1793 Old 03-04-2019, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Archibald1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 2,796
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Yes, if I just read thru the forums, i would think the Sony's are junk.. that's how it comes out to be...

but having own one for years, and then have 2 different Sonys including the latest 760ES, i am now able to take everything i read with a grain of salt...

The Sony 760ES (even without the dynamic iris) is now my favorite projector... easily beating out the NX9 even...
I cannot comment on the NX9 as I haven't seen one as yet. Hoping to at some point soon.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
Archibald1 is offline  
post #90 of 1793 Old 03-04-2019, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
coxy2416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Yes, if I just read thru the forums, i would think the Sony's are junk.. that's how it comes out to be...

but having own one for years, and then have 2 different Sonys including the latest 760ES, i am now able to take everything i read with a grain of salt...

The Sony 760ES (even without the dynamic iris) is now my favorite projector... easily beating out the NX9 even...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
I cannot comment on the NX9 as I haven't seen one as yet. Hoping to at some point soon.
I have seen the NX9 and I have mentioned it is the best projected image I have ever seen. I have not had the chance to see the 760ES but have read some glowing reviews on it and it sounds like a great projector.

The only things I have read about the 760ES the would detour me from buying one are:

1) Mention of the fan speed ramping up during certain scenes (not sure if this is true or not). This would probably drive me nuts as my projector is close to my head.

2) Price - definitely not cheap, out of my price range but overall seems reasonable for what you get as it seems to be sitting in a price range by itself.

I have the X790 and I think its a great projector but it certainly has many of its own flaws. Hopefully one day I will own a laser projector and it could be a JVC, Sony or something else and will probably come down to what works best for me at the time.
coxy2416 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
2019 , Jvc , projector , Projectors , Sony



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off