The 2019 Model SONY vs JVC Projectors Comparison Thread - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1921Likes

post #1111 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFan810 View Post
Thanks. I looked at your pictures and didn't realize it. You spent some time on it. Looks very good!

Thanks!

I’m actually about to replace it next week after having it for about 6 years haha.

I’ve been revamping my “theater” and now I have a NX5, added bass shakers, added 2 atmos ceiling speakers, and I’m buying some of this screen material to build a new screen.

https://www.carlofet.com/flexiwhite-...-material.html

I’m not replacing it because it’s a bad surface, but because I want to make a slightly different size and aspect ratio screen for my new projector mainly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Thanks!

I’m actually about to replace it next week after having it for about 6 years haha.

I’ve been revamping my “theater” and now I have a NX5, added bass shakers, added 2 atmos ceiling speakers, and I’m buying some of this screen material to build a new screen.

I’m not replacing it because it’s a bad surface, but because I want to make a slightly different size and aspect ratio screen for my new projector mainly.
Flexiwhite is very smooth, but it's slightly overrated because of its blue tint, which is more problematic for older JVC's which tend to already have too much blue after lamps get 200+ hours.
However, it's probably the best choice in your situation.
SirMaster likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #1113 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Flexiwhite is very smooth, but it's slightly overrated because of its blue tint, which is more problematic for older JVC's which tend to already have too much blue after lamps get 200+ hours.
However, it's probably the best choice in your situation.
Hmm, I have not heard of this blue tint.

Well, I have run autocal on my JVC and plan to run it every couple hundred hours, so at least my projector shouldn't change color over time for the most part.

I will have to keep that in mind, but I should be able to compensate for it if I find it to be a problem. Fortunately for me I think I am usually more partial to cooler color temps than warm, so maybe I won't even notice it. I think autocal with my colorimeter actually produces ever so slightly too much red, so I guess it will be interesting to see how it looks for me on the FlexiWhite.

Thanks for the tip.

I guess if I really end up hating it, well it was only $100 for this piece of material and I could just tear it off and put on something more premium.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1114 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 View Post
Was very watchable on mine. It was dark, but I didn't have any trouble seeing what was going on. What fl are you at with SDR? I'm probably on the high side. I think even with the lamp iris at -15, I'm still around 20-22 fl.
Quote:
I also thought it looked surprisingly good on my NX5 which with iris at 0 is about 20fL.
Not sure exactly what my fl is at but I run SDR at -11 on 100" Studiotek 130 screen. It has nothing to do with my setup and all to do with the way it was filmed. I have watched many hours of TV and film and that was a poorly lit TV show.
markmon1 likes this.
post #1115 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
Not sure exactly what my fl is at but I run SDR at -11 on 100" Studiotek 130 screen. It has nothing to do with my setup and all to do with the way it was filmed. I have watched many hours of TV and film and that was a poorly lit TV show.
Heh, I was speaking relatively. I mean yes it looked bad, but based on how bad everyone said it looked on their TVs, I am surprised how OK it looked on my NX5. It was certainly bright enough, and nice black levels, but yes there was a lot of compression artifacts and banding visible.
coxy2416 likes this.
post #1116 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Hmm, I have not heard of this blue tint.
Thanks for the tip.

I guess if I really end up hating it, well it was only $100 for this piece of material and I could just tear it off and put on something more premium.
It's not that severe, it's fairly slight, as the dE is off by 3.21 on the grayscale.
All screens have some tint because the 2+ dE on saturation tracking + grayscale is what combines to cause the tint.

Measurements are contained in the middle of this thread:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...jector-screen/

This article also complains about the texture of BO cloth,
but my BO cloth has less texture than 5 out of 8 of my other screens, so either he got a bad piece of BO cloth, or he is pixel peeping.

Last edited by coderguy; 04-30-2019 at 04:19 PM.
post #1117 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's not that severe, it's fairly slight, as the dE is off by 3.21. All screens have some tint.

Measurements are contained in the middle of this thread:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/be...jector-screen/

This article also complains about the texture of BO cloth,
but my BO cloth has less texture than 5 out of 8 of my other screens, so either he got a bad piece of BO cloth, or he is pixel peeping.
Heh, I also considered Elite CineWhite but looks like that's also just as bad...

Any ideas as to what screen compensation value I should try in the JVC menu to help compensate? (maybe CineWhite?) Or I can just see how it looks and try adjusting my white balance manually if I feel the need.

OR according to this: https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/projector/screen/

I can try 1:Correct to give a reddish tinge
post #1118 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 04:24 PM

The worst screen I ever owned was the Ebay 1.2 gain material, sparklie texture changed the entire look of the image.
Oh it was really 1.3 to 1.4 gain (odd since it was the first screen I've ever seen under-advertise the gain), but...
The sparklies and texture were so bad.

The BO cloth has 1% of the texture of the Ebay material (which the seller blatantly falsely advertises as having none with fake reviews).
However, the best screen I ever owned overall is still the Da-Lite 2.4 gain screen (discontinued), when factoring in all things.

So why did I get rid of the Da-Lite HP screen?
A few different reasons here... As noted, I have a dual aspect setup now (2 screens, one electric and one flush wall).
I had a Model B HP that wouldn't roll up, in my clumsiness in removing the non-rolled up screen from the wall, I damaged it slightly.

The Draper Accuscreen material is good, but not perfect, texture is somewhere between the Da-Lite HP and BO cloth.

The other screens I have owned all fall similarly (at best) to be about equal to the BO cloth to be honest (from seating distance).

Last edited by coderguy; 04-30-2019 at 04:59 PM.
post #1119 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Heh, I also considered Elite CineWhite but looks like that's also just as bad...

Any ideas as to what screen compensation value I should try in the JVC menu to help compensate? (maybe CineWhite?) Or I can just see how it looks and try adjusting my white balance manually if I feel the need.

You should just calibrate like you normally would really, I wouldn't trust the screen correction selections from the JVC menu, but you can try it I guess.

post #1120 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWilkinson View Post
Has anyone here attempted to watch the latest episode of GOT on their projectors?

It feels to me like a torture test of motion, colour & black levels.

My TV failed. Badly.
Looked amazing on both my JVC RS540 and my LG 65E7 OLED. I seen hordes of people online saying that it looked terrible. Lots of LCD television owners. I think a lot of people failed to understand that the director may have wanted the illusion of not being able to see what was going on. Hard saying for sure tho.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #1121 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:

I've been debating on replacing the BO cloth with Carl's Ultrawhite, but I don't think I am going to see any noticeable difference in texture reduction.
Possibly with a 4k projector I might notice a little bit smoother for the Ultrawhite vs. BO cloth, but even then I bet it's slight, with 1080p there is no difference.

Carl's Ultrawhite is good, has slightly less blue tint than the Flexiwhite.
Keep in mind the tint affects the real gain you get, since calibrating reduces the brightness.

However, the Ultrawhite may be harder to build a frame for since it's not a stretchy tensioned material, but it might be easier to create a flush wall screen (staples or tacks).
I found the Flexiwhite to be easily damaged with 'one wrong move'.

IMO, flush wall screens + (1) electric owns all unless you have a motorized 4-way masking setup, but so many people want AT screens (not my thing).
humbland likes this.

Last edited by coderguy; 04-30-2019 at 05:02 PM.
post #1122 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1803 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
I think a lot of people failed to understand that the director may have wanted the illusion of not being able to see what was going on. Hard saying for sure tho.
He filmed it in the dark in Ireland during the winter. He wanted the diminished visibility on purpose.
coderguy and Reddig like this.
post #1123 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
He filmed it in the dark in Ireland during the winter. He wanted the diminished visibility on purpose.
It was surely one of the darkest things I've ever seen with that much long-lasting darkness.
I was watching it with 50 lumens on my backup projector, it was hilarious trying to make out details.
I had the gamma way up at 1.6 though (so equiv to maybe 3 to 4 fL), so it was pretty rough looking at best since I didn't have a lamp for my JVC.

post #1124 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCh View Post
Thanks. See thats what I figured. He wanted that illusion.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #1125 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It was surely one of the darkest things I've ever seen with that much long-lasting darkness.
I was watching it with 50 lumens on my backup projector, it was hilarious trying to make out details.
I had the gamma way up at 1.6 though (so equiv to maybe 3 to 4 fL), so it was pretty rough looking at best since I didn't have a lamp for my JVC.
Try Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Many scenes are about as dark.

I honestly didn't have any problems on my two displays ive tried. I felt it was part of the directors intent.

EDIT: I have not tried on my bedroom Samsung LCD LED. Not gunna attempt it lol.

post #1126 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Try Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Many scenes are about as dark.

I honestly didn't have any problems on my two displays ive tried. I felt it was part of the directors intent.
Well I was watching it on a 50 lumens DLP because my JVC lamp went out the day before.
I have seen all the Harry Potters, though they were dark, they had brighter highlights in most of the scenes and more contrast.

The GOT scenes lacked contrast and highlights which is what made the details hard to make out, but again I didn't watch it on a JVC this time

I just find it funny that out of all the things I watched at 50 lumens (I've never done that before), it ends up being that episode.

post #1127 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well I was watching it on a 50 lumens DLP because my JVC lamp went out the day before.
I have seen all the Harry Potters, though they were dark, they had brighter highlights in most of the scenes and more contrast.

The GOT scenes lacked contrast and highlights which is what made the details hard to make out, but again I didn't watch it on a JVC this time

I just find it funny that out of all the things I watched at 50 lumens (I've never done that before), it ends up being that episode.
Murphys Law lol. Watch Harry Potter 7 on the DLP. Will be similar to GoT last episode. It will be close.

post #1128 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4657 Post(s)
Liked: 2950
Quote:
the director may have wanted the illusion of not being able to see what was going on.
This sounds like a terrible goal for a TV show or Movie, whose purpose is solely to show someone something. If you cant see it, then the director failed horribly.
appelz and wombats like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #1129 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
This sounds like a terrible goal for a TV show or Movie, whose purpose is solely to show someone something. If you cant see it, then the director failed horribly.
Ya I totally see that side of the argument and I agree. But it looks great on my displays!!!!

post #1130 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

But have you ever had a battle at night in the middle of a blizzard to know what it looks like??? Me neither.

post #1131 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
But have you ever had a battle at night in the middle of a blizzard to know what it looks like??? Me neither.
Yes, I have had a few when I was a kid and was an avid skier and got into a few scuffles.
Also played football at night in a Blizzard, does not really look like that, but you squint due to it getting in your eyes, so kind of it does I guess.

post #1132 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I have had a few when I was a kid and was an avid skier and got into a few scuffles.
Also played football at night in a Blizzard, does not really look like that, but you squint due to it getting in your eyes, so kind of it does I guess.
Come on man ive done all that too, I have, and I wouldn't compare it to mid-evil fantasy war. But it is a fantasy so I guess we all have our opinions.

post #1133 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Come on man ive done all that too, I have, and I wouldn't compare it to mid-evil fantasy war. But it is a fantasy so I guess we all have our opinions.
Fair enough, though I was being chased by a sparkler thingie and some fireworks so it was more similar than you might imagine.
However, they didn't say any ridiculous 'magic words' before the sparkler lit up like they did in GOT.
Reddig likes this.

post #1134 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Fair enough, though I was being chased by a sparkler thingie and some fireworks so it was more similar than you might imagine.
However, they didn't say any ridiculous 'magic words' before the sparkler lit up like they did in GOT.
LOL that sounds pretty exciting and fun actually! HAHA! We would have blind folded roman candle fights at my friends farm and I still got a couple scars from that lol. Awe to be young.

Last edited by Reddig; 04-30-2019 at 06:21 PM.
post #1135 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Thanks!

Looks like a good material. Let us know how it works for your situation.
post #1136 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11825 Post(s)
Liked: 9357
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Thanks!

That fabric also has a fair amount of texture.
post #1137 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I've been debating on replacing the BO cloth with Carl's Ultrawhite, but I don't think I am going to see any noticeable difference in texture reduction.
Possibly with a 4k projector I might notice a little bit smoother for the Ultrawhite vs. BO cloth, but even then I bet it's slight, with 1080p there is no difference.

Carl's Ultrawhite is good, has slightly less blue tint than the Flexiwhite.
Keep in mind the tint affects the real gain you get, since calibrating reduces the brightness.

However, the Ultrawhite may be harder to build a frame for since it's not a stretchy tensioned material, but it might be easier to create a flush wall screen (staples or tacks).
I found the Flexiwhite to be easily damaged with 'one wrong move'.

IMO, flush wall screens + (1) electric owns all unless you have a motorized 4-way masking setup, but so many people want AT screens (not my thing).
All of Carl's white fabrics have texture. I have samples of all of them.
post #1138 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
All of Carl's white fabrics have texture. I have samples of all of them.
Ultrawhite and Flexiwhite do not have texture, not sure what you are referring to, but they should look smooth.
No-one in the DIY screen forums (to my knowledge) has ever referred to these materials as having texture.
If you take a picture next to a pencil, it will look smooth, unlike most types of materials.
I also have samples.

Last edited by coderguy; 04-30-2019 at 08:21 PM.
post #1139 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Ultrawhite and Flexiwhite do not have texture, not sure what you are referring to, but they should look smooth.
No-one in the DIY screen forums (to my knowledge) has ever referred to these materials as having texture.
If you take a picture next to a pencil, it will look smooth, unlike most types of materials.
I also have samples.
Put your reading glasses on and compare it to ST100 from Stewart. ST100 is smooth, Flexiwhite has obvious texture. Flexiwhite is made in China. It comes from Haining Uneed industrial Material Company. The model number of the fabric is UTM002. I have the sample in front of me, as I type this.

Added
Ultrawhite has the same texture. Model number UTM003. They are not bad materials, but they do have some texture.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 04-30-2019 at 08:53 PM.
post #1140 of 1824 Old 04-30-2019, 10:32 PM

I don't have the samples in front of me, in a box somewhere, got them from Amazon as anyone can do.

That is worse than pixel peeping, there is no texture unless you are talking under a magnifying glass or microscope. There is a gloss or some type of substrate over the Flexiwhite.
It has no effect to the image, our eyes have limitations and this is way under the limitations of what our eyes can resolve. Probably by 10x or more from seating distance.

Even BO cloth looks the same as most materials from 10'+ back, that is a LONG way back to try to see texture when you cannot even see it from 2 feet back.

If someone is sitting 6' away from a small screen, then maybe I could understand, but realistically it makes no difference at most seating distances, not unless you are talking something that really has a texture (like an HP screen, which even then is livable - you get used to it).

Edit
Slight and tiny amounts of texture of a screen and thickness can however affect contrast, some from texture and some from light bleed and refraction and all that.

Last edited by coderguy; 04-30-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
2019 , Jvc , projector , Projectors , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page