The 2019 Model SONY vs JVC Projectors Comparison Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1913Likes

post #91 of 1814 Old 03-04-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1620 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
I have seen the NX9 and I have mentioned it is the best projected image I have ever seen. I have not had the chance to see the 760ES but have read some glowing reviews on it and it sounds like a great projector.

The only things I have read about the 760ES the would detour me from buying one are:

1) Mention of the fan speed ramping up during certain scenes (not sure if this is true or not). This would probably drive me nuts as my projector is close to my head.

2) Price - definitely not cheap, out of my price range but overall seems reasonable for what you get as it seems to be sitting in a price range by itself.

I have the X790 and I think its a great projector but it certainly has many of its own flaws. Hopefully one day I will own a laser projector and it could be a JVC, Sony or something else and will probably come down to what works best for me at the time.
1. My projector is directly above my head at about 1m from my ear! haha... and i can tell you this.. when the fan is low, i can hardly hear it.. it's truly whisper quiet... but when the fan goes high, i can hear it.. but it's not loud at all.. if you're watching a movie, you won't even notice it... this is one of the quietest projector i have seen.. and this is considering i used to own a sony 500ES bulb based one.. i think the bulb one on high fan is even louder...

2. Fortunately for me, i can get it cheaper than the NX9, and if you asked me, even if the NX9 were cheaper, i'll still take the 760 over it anyday of the week.. here are a few things i think the Sony beats the NX9 on... brightness.. remember, they are both about the same brightness right out of the box.. but with the NX9, you'll only match the brightness of the Sony for the first couple hundred hours.. then it's all downhill from there.. meaning, you'll start enjoying your programming less and less till you change your bulb and then rinse and repeat... 2nd, i like the colors of the sony better..., 3rd, and this is very important, the laser offer something the lamp doesn't.. a calmness that once you get used to you can never go back... it's truly a big difference... and lastly, the only thing people claim the NX9 beats the sony is Contrast... but to me, i can hardly notice any difference there... if there are any, it's going to be small... and the sony does 'just above black' better than the JVC... the JVC will have a bit of black crush there as all lamp based projectors seem to have... the sony will display all the variants of black levels just above it's black floor and it's mesmerizing to see...

I have seen the e-shifts.. they are great last generation projectors.. if you budget constraint, they are surely keepers for another couple years for sure.. i was actually considering getting an Epson 5040UB to tide me over for a couple more years, but when i see this Sony first hand i just couldn't resist!
coxy2416 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1814 Old 03-04-2019, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy2416 View Post
I have seen the NX9 and I have mentioned it is the best projected image I have ever seen. I have not had the chance to see the 760ES but have read some glowing reviews on it and it sounds like a great projector.

The only things I have read about the 760ES the would detour me from buying one are:

1) Mention of the fan speed ramping up during certain scenes (not sure if this is true or not). This would probably drive me nuts as my projector is close to my head.

2) Price - definitely not cheap, out of my price range but overall seems reasonable for what you get as it seems to be sitting in a price range by itself.

I have the X790 and I think its a great projector but it certainly has many of its own flaws. Hopefully one day I will own a laser projector and it could be a JVC, Sony or something else and will probably come down to what works best for me at the time.
I bought a 295 and don't even have it installed yet in a house I'm remodeling but I did consider trading it in, already lol, for a NX5 but out of all the problems I've read about the high fan noise in HDR mode is the one that deters me the most. The 295 in high lamp mode is about as loud as I'd want to go. Is the fan noise in the new JVC's across the board or luck of the draw?
post #93 of 1814 Old 03-04-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11809 Post(s)
Liked: 9346
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Yes, if I just read thru the forums, i would think the Sony's are junk.. that's how it comes out to be...

but having own one for years, and then have 2 different Sonys including the latest 760ES, i am now able to take everything i read with a grain of salt...

The Sony 760ES (even without the dynamic iris) is now my favorite projector... easily beating out the NX9 even...
None of these projectors are junk. They all throw good images. Some are better at some things compared to other projectors. DLP usually has good sharpness, good brightness and good motion. LCOS has black levels and contrast. You always have to pick your poison. Have not seen a perfect projector yet and may not want to, since I would not be able to afford it.
Spizz, coxy2416, Aztar35 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 1814 Old 03-05-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
None of these projectors are junk. They all throw good images. Some are better at some things compared to other projectors. DLP usually has good sharpness, good brightness and good motion. LCOS has black levels and contrast. You always have to pick your poison. Have not seen a perfect projector yet and may not want to, since I would not be able to afford it.
I know they aren't..
post #95 of 1814 Old 03-06-2019, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
1. My projector is directly above my head at about 1m from my ear! haha... and i can tell you this.. when the fan is low, i can hardly hear it.. it's truly whisper quiet... but when the fan goes high, i can hear it.. but it's not loud at all.. if you're watching a movie, you won't even notice it... this is one of the quietest projector i have seen.. and this is considering i used to own a sony 500ES bulb based one.. i think the bulb one on high fan is even louder...

2. Fortunately for me, i can get it cheaper than the NX9, and if you asked me, even if the NX9 were cheaper, i'll still take the 760 over it anyday of the week.. here are a few things i think the Sony beats the NX9 on... brightness.. remember, they are both about the same brightness right out of the box.. but with the NX9, you'll only match the brightness of the Sony for the first couple hundred hours.. then it's all downhill from there.. meaning, you'll start enjoying your programming less and less till you change your bulb and then rinse and repeat... 2nd, i like the colors of the sony better..., 3rd, and this is very important, the laser offer something the lamp doesn't.. a calmness that once you get used to you can never go back... it's truly a big difference... and lastly, the only thing people claim the NX9 beats the sony is Contrast... but to me, i can hardly notice any difference there... if there are any, it's going to be small... and the sony does 'just above black' better than the JVC... the JVC will have a bit of black crush there as all lamp based projectors seem to have... the sony will display all the variants of black levels just above it's black floor and it's mesmerizing to see...

I have seen the e-shifts.. they are great last generation projectors.. if you budget constraint, they are surely keepers for another couple years for sure.. i was actually considering getting an Epson 5040UB to tide me over for a couple more years, but when i see this Sony first hand i just couldn't resist!
I am considering buying this projector. How much of an improvement in black levels would I we e compared to my 520es? I love my 520:but the black levels really leave something to be desired.
post #96 of 1814 Old 03-06-2019, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:

For us in Canada, the projector is called VW885ES and is selling for $34k retail. it would be hard pressed to compare this projector to the NX9. At the price point, I would compare it to the RS4500.

JVC DLA-NX9 | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |
post #97 of 1814 Old 03-06-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankiy View Post
For us in Canada, the projector is called VW885ES and is selling for $34k retail. it would be hard pressed to compare this projector to the NX9. At the price point, I would compare it to the RS4500.
EEK!

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #98 of 1814 Old 03-06-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
In Hong Kong, the 760 is running between 100,000 to 120,000 HKD. Very reasonable.
post #99 of 1814 Old 03-06-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychatbonneau View Post
I am considering buying this projector. How much of an improvement in black levels would I we e compared to my 520es? I love my 520:but the black levels really leave something to be desired.
I have the 500ES which shares the same panel as the 520... the black level increase is significant... You can see on Sony's website, these projectors have their newest panels that have better blacks and contrast and they are not kidding... my 500ES looked washed out in comparison... If you get a chance go take a look at any of the new sony's... you'll get an idea from there.. then up the blacks a little for the 760ES

Quote:
Did you mean the 995? As far as I now in US/Canada, the 885 is at $25K and the 995 is at $35K... elsewhere it's $15k and $25K... Both street and MSRP, the 760/885 is cheaper than the NX9
post #100 of 1814 Old 03-06-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
In Hong Kong, the 760 is running between 100,000 to 120,000 HKD. Very reasonable.
You will get penalty by posting price...
jaychatbonneau likes this.
post #101 of 1814 Old 03-06-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Yes, if I just read thru the forums, i would think the Sony's are junk.. that's how it comes out to be...

but having own one for years, and then have 2 different Sonys including the latest 760ES, i am now able to take everything i read with a grain of salt...

The Sony 760ES (even without the dynamic iris) is now my favorite projector... easily beating out the NX9 even...
Honestly every time I come on here I see that same people saying the same stuff! Theres about 5-10 people on repeat around here. Can't wait till Arrow posts some comparisons.
llang269 and coolgeek like this.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #102 of 1814 Old 03-06-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
Honestly every time I come on here I see that same people saying the same stuff! Theres about 5-10 people on repeat around here. Can't wait till Arrow posts some comparisons.
My Sony 520es is a superb projector. I would like better black levels but that is just me being really picky. The Sonys are just fantastic. No matter which projector you select from their lineup, you are probably going to have a great experience.
post #103 of 1814 Old 03-06-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My Sony 520es is a superb projector. I would like better black levels but that is just me being really picky. The Sonys are just fantastic. No matter which projector you select from their lineup, you are probably going to have a great experience.
I really enjoyed the Sony 40ES I had. It threw a really nice picture. Its crux was also its black level at about 5000:1. Always wished it had an iris.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #104 of 1814 Old 03-06-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I really enjoyed the Sony 40ES I had. It threw a really nice picture. Its crux was also its black level at about 5000:1. Always wished it had an iris.
The newer Sony's have much better panels in terms of black levels... you'll be surprised how much better these sonys can get!
Reddig likes this.
post #105 of 1814 Old 03-06-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The newer Sony's have much better panels in terms of black levels... you'll be surprised how much better these sonys can get!
That's what Ive heard. I was really interested in the 695ES but it was out of my price range.

post #106 of 1814 Old 03-06-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
If he ever gets a working JVC I'll guess we'll find out. Sorry, couldn't resist!
Reddig and Archibald1 like this.
post #107 of 1814 Old 03-06-2019, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
I have the 500ES which shares the same panel as the 520... the black level increase is significant... You can see on Sony's website, these projectors have their newest panels that have better blacks and contrast and they are not kidding... my 500ES looked washed out in comparison... If you get a chance go take a look at any of the new sony's... you'll get an idea from there.. then up the blacks a little for the 760ES

Did you mean the 995? As far as I now in US/Canada, the 885 is at $25K and the 995 is at $35K... elsewhere it's $15k and $25K... Both street and MSRP, the 760/885 is cheaper than the NX9

In USD, yes the 885 is 25K. unfortunately for us poor folk in Canada... it's $33K CAD. Even if we wanted to buy from the US, the exchange rate is around 1.35 So your 25K projector would still cost us $33K+taxes,duties and brokerage. lol Sucks to live in Canada sometimes.
coxy2416 and Archibald1 like this.

JVC DLA-NX9 | Panasonic UB820 | Denon AVR-X6400H | Rotel RB 993 Amp | 135" 2:35:1 Elunevision Aurora NanoEdge Ambient Light Blocking Screen | Paradigm Monitor 11 v7, Monitor Center 3 v7, Monitor Surround 3 v7, CI Pro P65-R |
post #108 of 1814 Old 03-06-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:

When was the last time your 500es was calibrated?

I bet you it had significant gamma droop.

They only had about 10k:1 contrast anyway. What you are seeing is a doubling in contrast. Of course it will impress.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #109 of 1814 Old 03-06-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayreb View Post
If he ever gets a working JVC I'll guess we'll find out. Sorry, couldn't resist!
Lol no doubt!

post #110 of 1814 Old 03-06-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
When was the last time your 500es was calibrated?

I bet you it had significant gamma droop.

They only had about 10k:1 contrast anyway. What you are seeing is a doubling in contrast. Of course it will impress.
Yes, i do believe i had some panel degradation... but till the end, it was still projecting an incredible image other than i would say less than ideal blacks... the newer models seems to me to have much better blacks...
post #111 of 1814 Old 03-06-2019, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Yes, i do believe i had some panel degradation... but till the end, it was still projecting an incredible image other than i would say less than ideal blacks... the newer models seems to me to have much better blacks...
I know you're talking about the 500ES, but didn't you say that you had a 385ES before the 760 you have now?
post #112 of 1814 Old 03-07-2019, 12:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
I know you're talking about the 500ES, but didn't you say that you had a 385ES before the 760 you have now?
I sold my first projector that i had for 3 years, the 500ES to a buyer who was extremely happy with it... he has never seen what a good projector can look like...

And recently, my buddy from the Sony distributor here borrowed me his 360/385ES for a couple weeks.. that's what you're probably confused about... the 360 has the new panels and the blacks were far deeper than my old 500ES... other than deeper blacks, they basically look the same in other ways... so, images have more depth to it when your blacks are better, that's for sure... the 360 is discontinued though as Sony realizes that they have too many models and it was hard for them to differentiate them and justify the prices... the 360 still has the 13gbps so it's not a good buy if you ask me...

then now, i have the 760 laser on loan... still another big step up in picture quality.. one might argue that the 'actual measured' black floor may be similar to the lamp based models, but i can tell you somehow that comes out different in subjective viewing.. the laser adds something to it... i enjoy the blacks better.. they seem more 'natural'.. more nuanced, more calm.. plus, the laser light intensity is something that the pros need to talk about also... take that starfield that marmon was talking about.. he's prob seen it with the 685ES but i can tell you the 760 makes the individual stars shine so bright they look like you have poked holes into the screen and put an LED behind.. that makes the black floor look deeper... even though it might still be the same in reality... so, to me, even scenes like that (which is very, very limited because even in space scenes, you have planets, nebulaes, ships, etc, in it that lights up the scene), it looked fantastic to me... i did not get the 'grey starfield' that markmon claimed... caveat here: all of my observation of the 760 was on my silver 1.8 gain screen (prob more like 1.6 as it's perforated).

btw: my experience of the 760 is mirroring what Roxiedog has been saying all along.. and very far from what the JVC fanboys claim... also mirrors most of what professional reviewers say subjectively...
post #113 of 1814 Old 03-07-2019, 03:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
btw: my experience of the 760 is mirroring what Roxiedog has been saying all along.. and very far from what the JVC fanboys claim... also mirrors most of what professional reviewers say subjectively...
I'd like to know more about some other cool geeky stuff, Coolgeek. Contrast numbers for the 760 are around 15-20K:1. But I wonder how your black luminence measures up with a one pixel test.
post #114 of 1814 Old 03-07-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
The 520ES has a dynamic iris, so its dynamic contrast ratio is higher than the 760, since the 760 does not have a dynamic iris. The 760 will be able to do full fade to black, since it can shut off the laser.
post #115 of 1814 Old 03-07-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:

Every year, people say, Sony has newer panels, yet when I talk to Sony national sales manger for the US, he keeps telling me all the 4K projectors use the same panels and have for years. So the panels in the 760 are the same panels as in the 5000, which came out a few years ago.
Reddig and llang269 like this.
post #116 of 1814 Old 03-07-2019, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
I'd like to know more about some other cool geeky stuff, Coolgeek. Contrast numbers for the 760 are around 15-20K:1. But I wonder how your black luminence measures up with a one pixel test.
Unfortunately I am not the tech guy to ask for these info, haha...

I don't even know how to calibrate the projector and have no gears to do so.. i want to learn though...

But what i can tell you is my personal experience with it and what i see without all the technical details to cloud the judgements...

There is a reason scientists use double blind experiments today.. our mind is a powerful reality creation engine.. if people go in thinking the JVCs have twice the numbers, they may see 'twice the contrast'... just like some people think the Z1 is 'excellent' but the 760 is 'poor'.. to me, if words to have any real meaning then using those two to describe both projectors would be highly misleading...

Quote:
The 520ES has a dynamic iris, so its dynamic contrast ratio is higher than the 760, since the 760 does not have a dynamic iris. The 760 will be able to do full fade to black, since it can shut off the laser.
This is true, yet, somehow, i prefer the 760's overall picture... even the blacks.. seems like there are more details, smoother, cleaner... more real..

Quote:
Every year, people say, Sony has newer panels, yet when I talk to Sony national sales manger for the US, he keeps telling me all the 4K projectors use the same panels and have for years. So the panels in the 760 are the same panels as in the 5000, which came out a few years ago.
Most people who work for Sony prob have no idea about the actual technical specs..

here's directly from Sony's 760ES description:

See richer, deeper blacks

Latest SXRD 4K panels deliver even better contrast, as well as native 4K resolution. SXRD projection offers rich, inky blacks, as well as clear cinematic motion and image smoothness. Improvements to the panel's reflective silicon layer now mean even better light control, for precisely reproduced shadows and blacks.
post #117 of 1814 Old 03-07-2019, 06:40 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked: 1465
Quote:
Latest SXRD 4K panels deliver even better contrast, as well as native 4K resolution. SXRD projection offers rich, inky blacks, as well as clear cinematic motion and image smoothness. Improvements to the panel's reflective silicon layer now mean even better light control, for precisely reproduced shadows and blacks.
It is very unclear what exactly this means. If you google that phrase you will see it used under a drawing of a panel, pointing out the elimination of contact divots and the elimination of bevelled corners being the reason for the improvements. That particular text came in at the 550/360/260 model timing.
https://www.digis.ru/upload/iblock/0...ochure_Eng.pdf

And if you look then for those terms, you'll find them used by Sony going all the way back to the VPL-VW1000ES: https://www.sony-asia.com/microsite/...S_brochure.pdf

It's about as clear as mud...
llang269 likes this.
post #118 of 1814 Old 03-07-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
It is very unclear what exactly this means. If you google that phrase you will see it used under a drawing of a panel, pointing out the elimination of contact divots and the elimination of bevelled corners being the reason for the improvements. That particular text came in at the 550/360/260 model timing.

And if you look then for those terms, you'll find them used by Sony going all the way back to the VPL-VW1000ES: https://www.sony-asia.com/microsite/...S_brochure.pdf

You're correct.. these new panels are introduced during the 260/360 time.. that's why i said the 360 i recently tested out had great blacks as well.. it's the same panel..
SpykeSIK likes this.
post #119 of 1814 Old 03-07-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post

Yep and that is why I asked Sony US Sales Manager for clarification.
post #120 of 1814 Old 03-07-2019, 08:18 AM

I bought a Sony 295 for a great deal in lieu of a JVC N5 a couple of months ago for a house I'm remodeling since the N5 wasn't available at the time and while I've been waiting around in my apartment for the house to get finished (too much time to think about it lol) I started to get a little bit of buyer's remorse since the JVC preorders started rolling out but then the initial reports from the JVC thread make me nervous about taking a chance on one now. Here is what I've got so far. I don't know if I'm trying to talk myself out of switching to the JVC as each of these points can be argued and nit-picked to kingdom come but these are my impressions so far...

JVC N5
Pros
Higher contrast but not as good as previous models
Brighter
More punch

Cons
High lamp fan is loud
Noisy dynamic iris (some reports)
Slow boot time
Slow HDMI sync
Lot of work to get HDR looking as good as SDR
1080p upscaling not as good
Expensive lamp
Too bright for my little room?
Poor convergence (some reports)
Light uniformity issues
Bright corners
Internal reflections
Brief yellowing of whites on transitioning to scenes with bright white on black (e.g. credits)
Crapshoot to get a working projector

Sony 295
Pros
Fast boot
Fast HDMI sync
Sharper 4K image
Great 1080p upscaling
Cheap lamp

Cons
No dynamic iris
Poor(er) contrast
Dimmer

Last edited by replayreb; 03-07-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
2019 , Jvc , projector , Projectors , Sony

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page